PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Deal

juise
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Please move this to the off-topic board if necessary. I just wanted to share that there's a Groupon today for ESPN the Mag, which comes with ESPN.com Insider access, for $13. The fine print says that it's not good for renewals and the vouchers can be given as gifts, but are not transferable. Here's the link (http://www.groupon.com/deals/espn-the-magazine-december-portland).

I have been on the dense about getting Insider for a long time and I thought this may help others in my situation. It would be nice to read Bilas more than 130 characters at a time. If there are better deals out there, please share!

Marc81
12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Please move this to the off-topic board if necessary. I just wanted to share that there's a Groupon today for ESPN the Mag, which comes with ESPN.com Insider access, for $13. The fine print says that it's not good for renewals and the vouchers can be given as gifts, but are not transferable. Here's the link (http://www.groupon.com/deals/espn-the-magazine-december-portland).

I have been on the dense about getting Insider for a long time and I thought this may help others in my situation. It would be nice to read Bilas more than 130 characters at a time. If there are better deals out there, please share!

I just saw ESPN magazine for $5 on Amazon for a year. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BCCOFY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p153_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19XWDCYKGXJPFTS42SGK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Edouble
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I will never subscribe to ESPN the Magazine because of the Curry Kirkpatrick piece they ran back in Fall of '99.

MaxAMillion
12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I will never subscribe to ESPN the Magazine because of the Curry Kirkpatrick piece they ran back in Fall of '99.

I actually wanted to see if you get ESPN Insider without getting the magazine and I was told that you had to get it. I am really not a fan of the magazine at all.

toooskies
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
I actually wanted to see if you get ESPN Insider without getting the magazine and I was told that you had to get it. I am really not a fan of the magazine at all.

My ESPN magazine goes directly to a stack of them which I will never read.

I use the heck out of Insider, though.

blazindw
12-17-2012, 11:01 AM
My ESPN magazine goes directly to a stack of them which I will never read.

I use the heck out of Insider, though.

You can pay for ESPN Insider by itself. I think it's $39.99/yr if you do it that way. I actually read The Mag...it's the only one I have a subscription to. It helps that I got it for 6 years at a rate of $2/yr back in 2008!

MHNOLADevil
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Juise, for the heads up on this deal. I confirmed that the deal does indeed include a full year access to ESPN Insider and I went for it.

UrinalCake
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Ridiculous that they won't just not send you the printed mag if you ask. I have an SI subscription and only read it on my wife's iPad, so I asked them to stop sending it to me since it just goes straight into the recycle bin, and they refused.

Thanks Marc81 for th amazon link, that looks like the way to go.

juise
12-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Agreed. I should have probably done some Googling before I posted.

toooskies
12-17-2012, 12:37 PM
You can pay for ESPN Insider by itself. I think it's $39.99/yr if you do it that way. I actually read The Mag...it's the only one I have a subscription to. It helps that I got it for 6 years at a rate of $2/yr back in 2008!

I know, but I'm not paying $35 a year more than what I do for the magazine!

Marc81
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Ridiculous that they won't just not send you the printed mag if you ask. I have an SI subscription and only read it on my wife's iPad, so I asked them to stop sending it to me since it just goes straight into the recycle bin, and they refused.

No problem! I read this board all the time. I saw this deal on amazon and happened to remember reading this tread the other day. I too have thought many times that I wanted to be an ESPN insider just to read some of the articles but couldn't justify the price. Glad to help.

UrinalCake
12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
No problem! I read this board all the time. I saw this deal on amazon and happened to remember reading this tread the other day. I too have thought many times that I wanted to be an ESPN insider just to read some of the articles but couldn't justify the price. Glad to help.

One thing that wasn't clear to me... the $5/year is the "auto-renewal" price, which I took to mean that the subscription automatically renews each year. But will it renew at the $5/year, or at whatever the going rate is at the time?

Marc81
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
One thing that wasn't clear to me... the $5/year is the "auto-renewal" price, which I took to mean that the subscription automatically renews each year. But will it renew at the $5/year, or at whatever the going rate is at the time?

Good question! I'm not 100% sure but if I had to guess I'd say at the going rate. It's a good price for a year but you would probably want to cancel in a year.

Marc81
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Amazon's site says on the FAQ:

(What is automatic renewal?

An automatic renewal subscription is a subscription that Amazon will regularly renew on your behalf before your term expires. With automatic renewal you will:

Never miss an issue of your favorite magazine
Avoid multiple renewal notices and telemarketing calls
Always receive the lowest price available on Amazon for your subscription term
At any time, you can change your address or your credit card, or cancel automatic renewal. Before your subscription expires, we'll notify you that your subscription is about to be renewed.)

Sounds like it would be renewed at whatever amazon's price is at the time. Their prices are generally pretty good. It also says that you can cancel at anytime on amazon's site.