PDA

View Full Version : Matt Jones, looking good!

westwall
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Coach K has to like what he is seeing in Jones tonight. Moves well, goes to the basket both left and right, hits the 3-pointer. Scores 40+% of his team's points against excellent competition. Except for a few turnovers, whats not to like? Jones is sure to move up in the rankings.

Saratoga2
12-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Coach K has to like what he is seeing in Jones tonight. Moves well, goes to the basket both left and right, hits the 3-pointer. Scores 40+% of his team's points against excellent competition. Except for a few turnovers, whats not to like? Jones is sure to move up in the rankings.

I had the opportunity to watch a couple of games last night. The one referred to here was Matt Jones Texas club against thee then #1 rated Jabari Parker's team from Chicago. Coach K and two of his other coaches were in attendance. What I saw in Matt Jones was very encouraging. Hard to tell what his height is, but I can believe 6'4" and he is wiry and his muscles defined. He is long and a very good athlete with good quickness. None of the sullen looks of some players and a real team guy. Very good all the way around.

He handles the ball very well going either left or right with equal capability. He can score from the three, can pull up and can get to the rim using either hand equally well. He also is an outstanding foul shooter. I would put him in the elite category of all shooters/scorers. A great replacement for Seth, with more size and athleticism. He tends to dribble the ball in front of the opponent and was picked on several occasions, but that is an easy thing to fix. He was very good defensively and got in for rebounds at times. We have a winner in this kid and indeed his team easily dispatched the Chicago team.

Jabari Parker was coming back after having a broken foot and not playing for months. It showed. I can believe he is 6'7" or even 6'8". His muscles were not well defined and he appeared to be out of playing shape. Again fully understandable. He showed none of the attitude problems you see in some players, even though he obviously was not playing anywhere near his #2 in the country status. There were a couple of times where he showed his excellent handle and quickness with the ball. Not to worry, this is a great young player who just needs to get his practice time in. I truly hope we are the ones who he chooses and we can see the real kid play for us.

Also in the stands were coaches from Michigan State and BYU.

duke74
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
ESPN cut away right as Jabari and Matt were about to shake hands after the game. Was hoping to catch the interaction.

Not being a expert here (by far!), would Matt have said something to Jabari re the decision ("Would be great to play with you next year, etc"), or let him do his thing?

JasonEvans
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Ordinarily, performance against High School competition would factor greatly into any assessment of Matt Jones' game last night. But, much of last night he went up against Simeon guard Jaylon Tate, who is heading to Illinois. Tate scored 12 points, Matt had 23. So, what Jones did last night was against legit Division I competition. Niiiice!

Here is a nice photo of Matt doing his thing last night.
http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/8/2/8/8283932b-a3f6-4db4-8eab-5e0bbbb15875/9b876a46-b045-e211-9349-002655e6c126_original.jpg

-Jason "the competition for wing minutes is going to be INSANE next year" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Highlights and brief analysis from ESPN on last night's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TcMtOTjx0

Paul Biancardi compares Jones to Sulaimon, which is always a good thing. How many SGs can you have with a great shot, the ability to put the ball on the floor, and defend? The answer - not enough.

If freshman Jones is 50% of freshman Sulaimon, I'll me a happy dude.

mr. synellinden
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Ordinarily, performance against High School competition would factor greatly into any assessment of Matt Jones' game last night. But, much of last night he went up against Simeon guard Jaylon Tate, who is heading to Illinois. Tate scored 12 points, Matt had 23. So, what Jones did last night was against legit Division I competition. Niiiice!

Here is a nice photo of Matt doing his thing last night.
http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/8/2/8/8283932b-a3f6-4db4-8eab-5e0bbbb15875/9b876a46-b045-e211-9349-002655e6c126_original.jpg

-Jason "the competition for wing minutes is going to be INSANE next year" Evans

Even though it's only one game, it's great to hear about the collective assessment of his ability. People have been saying that Jones is unlikely to crack the rotation next year - primarily due to the depth we have at guard/wing. Maybe we have to rethink that.

This may hijack this thread - I just hope Jones isn't wearing that number next year.

Dev11
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Even though it's only one game, it's great to hear about the collective assessment of his ability. People have been saying that Jones is unlikely to crack the rotation next year - primarily due to the depth we have at guard/wing. Maybe we have to rethink that.

This may hijack this thread - I just hope Jones isn't wearing that number next year.

Warning: we're simultaneously approaching a minutes discussion AND and will-Rasheed-leave-early discussion.

Matt Jones looks cut.

Olympic Fan
12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I got to watch the last 10 minutes or so and came away very impressed with Mr. Jones.

More interested in seeing his physical abilities, his handle and his on-court saavy than anything else. For a guy touted as a spot-up shooter when he committed to us, he appeared tio be a very complete player.

I'd say more of a combo guard than a wing. I know that he gets most of his minutes for DeSoto on the wing, but with about seven minutes left last night he moved to the point ... he had assists on five straight possessions (two of them long downcourt passes). I think the comparisons to Sulaimon, another combo guard from Texas, are valid.

Not going to get into the minutes discision -- I'll just repeat what I've said many times. You can't have too many wings. K can play three together extensively.

dukelifer
12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
I got to watch the last 10 minutes or so and came away very impressed with Mr. Jones.

More interested in seeing his physical abilities, his handle and his on-court saavy than anything else. For a guy touted as a spot-up shooter when he committed to us, he appeared tio be a very complete player.

I'd say more of a combo guard than a wing. I know that he gets most of his minutes for DeSoto on the wing, but with about seven minutes left last night he moved to the point ... he had assists on five straight possessions (two of them long downcourt passes). I think the comparisons to Sulaimon, another combo guard from Texas, are valid.

Not going to get into the minutes discision -- I'll just repeat what I've said many times. You can't have too many wings. K can play three together extensively.

Liked what I saw- the kid is clearly ready for college- and has a ton of confidence. I liked that he continues to work on his game and wants to be more than just a shooter. He will be able to contribute right away. Duke will have a lot of interesting pieces next year.

NSDukeFan
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Highlights and brief analysis from ESPN on last night's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TcMtOTjx0

Paul Biancardi compares Jones to Sulaimon, which is always a good thing. How many SGs can you have with a great shot, the ability to put the ball on the floor, and defend? The answer - not enough.

If freshman Jones is 50% of freshman Sulaimon, I'll me a happy dude.

I don't think a 3'2" 100 lb Jones would make me very happy. Or, is that not what you meant? ;)

OldPhiKap
12-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think a 3'2" 100 lb Jones would make me very happy. Or, is that not what you meant? ;)

I think he meant that the nickname DBR will attempt to contrive for Jones may only be half as good as the ones we have for Rasheed.

{shudder}

lotusland
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
I think he meant that the nickname DBR will attempt to contrive for Jones may only be half as good as the ones we have for Rasheed.

{shudder}

Basketball Jones?

OldPhiKap
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Basketball Jones?

You obviously have trouble with fractions. I meant WORSE than the ones being proposed for Rasheed -- not INFINITELY BETTER than them all.

(very well-played)

Native
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
DeSoto's going to be playing in the HSOT Holiday Invitational at Broughton HS in Raleigh over the winter holiday. Psyched that I'll get to go watch Jones play!

DukeFanSince1990
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Basketball Jones?

winner......

Indoor66
12-14-2012, 07:10 PM

{shudder}

If you follow the other thread reasoning, we have to call him TtEs to save letters. :cool:

lotusland
12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
You obviously have trouble with fractions. I meant WORSE than the ones being proposed for Rasheed -- not INFINITELY BETTER than them all.

(very well-played)

Matt and the Crazies may need a little refresher to get on board ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1er9jyCJI_E

devildeac
12-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Shoot, K could likely play four of them together extensively;).

devildeac
12-14-2012, 11:07 PM

{shudder}

Hopefully we'll call him Matt;).

Cameron
12-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Can anyone provide any insight into whether last night's Matt Jones game might be replayed or not, and, more importantly, on what channel it was originally broadcast? I had no idea about this and I feel sick.

moonpie23
12-15-2012, 10:38 AM
it's on REPLAY at espn3.com

Cameron
12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
it's on REPLAY at espn3.com

Thanks, moonpie. Unfortunately, my internet provider doesn't carry ESPN 3 or whatever.

I want to cry. Haha. That's not even hyperbole. I really feel sick over missing this.

Saratoga2
12-15-2012, 11:06 AM

I do see Matt Jones as having a very similar capability to Rasheed which is high praise indeed. From the article today, it sounds like Semi Ojeleye is another phenomenal talent. We have Rodney Hood playing next year and some have said he has been a very effective practice player. Andre is still out there and we can expect a much improved and stronger Amile and a more confident Alex. I have visions of our Blue/white scrimmage fielding two teams in which all starting participants might start at the division I level.

Blue: Quinn, Rasheed, Rodney, Amile, Marshall
White: Tyler, Matt, Semi, Alex, Jubari?

That still leaves Hairston and Andre if he returns. Both of which might start in place of the ones I have guessed as starters.

If next years team has any weakness, it is the lack of a second truly big man.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I do see Matt Jones as having a very similar capability to Rasheed which is high praise indeed. From the article today, it sounds like Semi Ojeleye is another phenomenal talent. We have Rodney Hood playing next year and some have said he has been a very effective practice player. Andre is still out there and we can expect a much improved and stronger Amile and a more confident Alex. I have visions of our Blue/white scrimmage fielding two teams in which all starting participants might start at the division I level.

Blue: Quinn, Rasheed, Rodney, Amile, Marshall
White: Tyler, Matt, Semi, Alex, Jabari?

That still leaves Hairston and Andre if he returns. Both of which might start in place of the ones I have guessed as starters.

If next years team has any weakness, it is the lack of a second truly big man.
If we get Jabari (note the spelling), and your Blue team above is the starters, I think I'd swap Amile for Jabari on the Blue team. I know one prominent board maven who is drooling over the prospect of our starting "wings" next season! And I agree with him. :cool:

flyingdutchdevil
12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
If we get Jabari (note the spelling), and your Blue team above is the starters, I think I'd swap Amile for Jabari on the Blue team. I know one prominent board maven who is drooling over the prospect of our starting "wings" next season! And I agree with him. :cool:

If that does happen, we'll have virtually no depth at the 5 but insane athleticism and depth everywhere else. We'll be able to outrun every opponent. It's gonna be entertaining to watch the steals, the dunks, and the switches on D.

Greg_Newton
12-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I went over to see Matt Jones and DeSoto vs. NCSU's 5-star 2013 PG Anthony Barber and Hampton Roads tonight (highlights (http://www.highschoolot.com/holiday_invitational/video/11924023/#/vid11924023)). Jones was his usual unspectacular but effective self in a win (18 points), while Barber was the exact opposite (electrifying at times but sort of plays like a kid with ADD). Probably not much new to learn about Jones since his ESPN appearance, but I'm happy to answer any questions about either of them.

DeSoto plays in the championship at 7:20 tomorrow against St. Joseph and Karl Towns at Broughton High's gym... should be a great matchup.

Barr8
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I went over to see Matt Jones and DeSoto vs. NCSU's 5-star 2013 PG Anthony Barber and Hampton Roads tonight (highlights (http://www.highschoolot.com/holiday_invitational/video/11924023/#/vid11924023)). Jones was his usual unspectacular but effective self in a win (18 points), while Barber was the exact opposite (electrifying at times but sort of plays like a kid with ADD). Probably not much new to learn about Jones since his ESPN appearance, but I'm happy to answer any questions about either of them.

DeSoto plays in the championship at 7:20 tomorrow against St. Joseph and Karl Towns at Broughton High's gym... should be a great matchup.

I have never seen Matt play, but everything I have read sounds a lot like Andre Dawkins? Is that a fair comparison? One of the best shooters in the class, not the best ball handler or the quickest? I guess I'm just looking for a scoutingn report on Matt Jones.

Greg_Newton
12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
I have never seen Matt play, but everything I have read sounds a lot like Andre Dawkins? Is that a fair comparison? One of the best shooters in the class, not the best ball handler or the quickest? I guess I'm just looking for a scoutingn report on Matt Jones.

That's about right in terms of his likely role, but they're different players. Dre has a higher release and probably better range, while Matt is very reliable anywhere from 17-22'. Dre is a much better leaper - Matt's not really a dunker - but Matt is a better defender and rebounder. Matt has also gotten much better at taking the ball to the rim, passing, etc., and even plays PG for his team (#9 in the country).

Who he really reminds me of is Leslie McDonald with a better shot. I have the same worry with him that I had/have about McDonald - seems just big/quick/skilled enough to do it all against HS/Pro-Am comp, but he doesn't play very fast and I worry that a lot of his moves won't translate to the next level right away. Doesn't really have that extra gear and is still getting comfortable with his handle, but also doesn't try to play outside of himself. Actually, he sort of reminds me of a Big East (RIP) wing, in that he's tough, steady, and prefers working methodically in the halfcourt to flying out in transition.

Terrific kid in the Sheed/Amile mold though, a winner, and a guy who has worked really hard and improved dramatically in the past year and a half, and outplayed (a still recovering) Jabari in every way when they upset Simeon a few weeks ago. Will be a great shooter for us who should contribute on the boards, hold his own defensively, and likely do more off the dribble in than Dre in the halfcourt, but IMO will need a year or two to get used to the speed and athleticism of the college game.

Barr8
12-29-2012, 01:22 AM
That's about right in terms of his likely role, but they're different players. Dre has a higher release and probably better range, while Matt is very reliable anywhere from 17-22'. Dre is a much better leaper - Matt's not really a dunker - but Matt is a better defender and rebounder. Matt has also gotten much better at taking the ball to the rim, passing, etc., and even plays PG for his team (#9 in the country).

Who he really reminds me of is Leslie McDonald with a better shot. I have the same worry with him that I had/have about McDonald - seems just big/quick/skilled enough to do it all against HS/Pro-Am comp, but he doesn't play very fast and I worry that a lot of his moves won't translate to the next level right away. Doesn't really have that extra gear and is still getting comfortable with his handle, but also doesn't try to play outside of himself. Actually, he sort of reminds me of a Big East (RIP) wing, in that he's tough, steady, and prefers working methodically in the halfcourt to flying out in transition.

Terrific kid in the Sheed/Amile mold though, a winner, and a guy who has worked really hard and improved dramatically in the past year and a half, and outplayed (a still recovering) Jabari in every way when they upset Simeon a few weeks ago. Will be a great shooter for us who should contribute on the boards, hold his own defensively, and likely do more off the dribble in than Dre in the halfcourt, but IMO will need a year or two to get used to the speed and athleticism of the college game.

Thank you.

If his shot is as good as advertised, he will find a way to be more productive than Leslie has been for unc. I keep reading that Matt has improved a lot since committing so that leads me to believe he's a hard worker that will improve dramatically overbid years at Duke.

Just a stab in the dark, but with next years wings. Could he possibly redshirt or is he good enough to see some playing time as a freshman? You probably don't have that illusive crystal ball that I've been looking for, just looking for a guess.

Greg_Newton
12-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Yup, I do think he's a better prospect than Leslie was, just reminded me of him in that one way.

I really doubt he'd redshirt, because he's a physically ready star recruit who isn't coming early like Murphy. I do think he could contribute next year if necessary, because at the least, he'll be able to space the floor, defend and rebound; if it was 2010, he'd be great for the Dawkins role. However, we're so loaded at G/F that I can't really see him bumping Cook, Thornton, Sulaimon, Hood, Murphy, Parker or Jefferson out of the rotation (and there's probably only room for six out of those seven anyway).

Of course, I'm planning on us being awesome enough next year that our 9th/10th men should get plenty of minutes, so maybe it'll all work out. :cool:

Cameron
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Do not forget about Andre when dreaming about next year. Based on comments straight from Andre and his parents, he will be back playing at Duke next season. At this point that's the only word we have to go on, and that's good enough for me. Not to mention Andre has been at pretty much every home game this year, sitting behind the Duke bench, which to me demonstrates that he wants to the staff to know that he is still, albeit from a distance, a part of this team and committed to the program for the future.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Watching those latest videos of Jones, he appears to have a really quick release. Almost deceptively quick. Should be a real asset as he faces tougher competition in college. Love it!