PDA

View Full Version : Jersey numbers in everyday life

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Dukeblueplanet's tweet (tinyurl.com/duke121212)yesterday, 12.12.12, was a pic of Wojo, Singler, Murphy. The absence of Thomas Hill struck a nerve and got me thinking about a thread I meant to start over the summer in the season downtime.

I wanted to know if I'm the only one out there that sees numbers in everyday life as jersey numbers of past Duke players. For example, when I'm picking a locker at the gym, I'm more likely to pick #32 or #33 than something like #29. I'll see an 11 or 12 or 4 or 21 as Hurley, THill, Redick and Anonio Lang (not Trajan or Miles or Demarcus, odd right?). Anyways, is this common with others here, or have I been a little too invested in the team over the years?

Reilly
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Connecting the number to a sports figure is how I remember the level in a parking garage. Often leads to a minor sports history lesson for the kids: "Car's on 6. Bill Russell wore #6 and he ....."

hurleyfor3
12-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Connecting the number to a sports figure is how I remember the level in a parking garage. Often leads to a minor sports history lesson for the kids: "Car's on 6. Bill Russell wore #6 and he ....."

When I park in the long-term lot at the Denver airport I always choose row JJ-4. Section JJ is far from the entrance and usually has plenty of spaces.

I notice this with highway numbers when it happens. Eastern NC has an 11/32 intersection. Pretty sure Kentucky (!) has one too. Near Mount Airy, NC there's a 104/103, which should be named the Christian Laettner Memorial Intersection, except that sounds like he died in a car crash there or something.

Edouble
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Dukeblueplanet's tweet (tinyurl.com/duke121212)yesterday, 12.12.12, was a pic of Wojo, Singler, Murphy. The absence of Thomas Hill struck a nerve and got me thinking about a thread I meant to start over the summer in the season downtime.

I wanted to know if I'm the only one out there that sees numbers in everyday life as jersey numbers of past Duke players. For example, when I'm picking a locker at the gym, I'm more likely to pick #32 or #33 than something like #29. I'll see an 11 or 12 or 4 or 21 as Hurley, THill, Redick and Anonio Lang (not Trajan or Miles or Demarcus, odd right?). Anyways, is this common with others here, or have I been a little too invested in the team over the years?

I do this all the time. I use locker #55 at the gym b/c of Zoubs. I also remember my locker combination as the jersey number of 3 Duke guys. 3 guards actually, but I won't tell you who, as I don't want to give away the combination. :rolleyes:

Indoor66
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I do this all the time. I use locker #55 at the gym b/c of Zoubs. I also remember my locker combination as the jersey number of 3 Duke guys. 3 guards actually, but I won't tell you who, as I don't want to give away the combination. :rolleyes:

It is OK to tell us thr players. Just don't identify the Gym. Though, we DO know it is in the Atlanta area. That does narrow it down. :cool:

Edouble
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
It is OK to tell us thr players. Just don't identify the Gym. Though, we DO know it is in the Atlanta area. That does narrow it down. :cool:

HA HA HA HA!!!! Well... I will make a confession. One of the guards is Austin Rivers. I have had this same combination lock since high school, and of course Austin has recently been the first player to wear "0" as a Blue Devil. So, unfortunately I used to always think of Eric Montross when remembering my combination. I tried to mentally switch over to Drew Gooden, but just couldn't stop thinking of Montross, I think, because he was the first player I was aware of to wear "0".

jmck214
12-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I have to log into a lot of different websites for work and the passwords usually require letters and numbers and we also have to switch them every so often for security reasons. Needless to say I have a whole spreadsheet of different passwords that contain pretty much every player that has put on a Duke uniform in the last 20 years.

throatybeard
12-13-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a stinky "white" towel with a blue 12 written on it in marker. Somewhere.

Throaty,
T' Class of Wojo

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I have a stinky "white" towel with a blue 12 written on it in marker. Somewhere.

Throaty,
T' Class of Wojo

That is both awesome and gross.

Regarding #12, it's either THill or Singler in my mind, never Wojo for some reason.

Also, whats up with the official Duke stats site (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/all.php) having Thomas Hill listed as #25. This is an outrage!

Highlander
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
I do this a lot, especially when picking up rental cars in numbered spaces. When I give directions to my house, I tell Duke fans to get off of I-485 at the Grant Hill exit all the time. Or the Elton Brand exit off of I-85. Either one will get you to chez Highlander eventually :)

Oh, and did I mention that my AOL handle has the #24 in it?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I do this a lot, especially when picking up rental cars in numbered spaces. When I give directions to my house, I tell Duke fans to get off of I-485 at the Grant Hill exit all the time. Or the Elton Brand exit off of I-85. Either one will get you to chez Highlander eventually :)

Oh, and did I mention that my AOL handle has the #24 in it?

My email address as a 21 in it. Of course, it's for MY high school football jersey, and then for every #21 at Duke since my matriculation! I always root harder for our #21's! :cool:

But there is only one number that when I see it, I think of ONLY one player who has ever worn it. Ever. Every other player doesn't own it, he or she just wears it. That number is 7. Mickey Mantle, Mr. Yankee.

trinity92
12-14-2012, 04:51 PM

I once had a combination lock that was some combination (vagueness due to memory loss, not security paranoia) of Grant Hill, Laettner and Jon Scheyer's jersey numbers. I enjoyed that, and was easy to dial in all those numbers in the thirties.

brevity
12-14-2012, 06:08 PM
I have to log into a lot of different websites for work and the passwords usually require letters and numbers and we also have to switch them every so often for security reasons. Needless to say I have a whole spreadsheet of different passwords that contain pretty much every player that has put on a Duke uniform in the last 20 years.

Glad to read I'm not the only one. Most passwords need about 8 characters, usually letters, a symbol, and at least one number. How do the rest of you NOT go with jersey numbers?

In my previous job -- which is why I can say this now -- I used the # symbol with Duke players and jersey numbers, or the * symbol with MLB players and their questionable records. They're unique, and what's more, they make sense. Certainly more than FiRsTnAmE6969$^& or whatever untypeable crap that people use these days.

throatybeard
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
That is both awesome and gross.

Regarding #12, it's either THill or Singler in my mind, never Wojo for some reason.

Also, whats up with the official Duke stats site (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/all.php) having Thomas Hill listed as #25. This is an outrage!

He wore that first before they retired Art Heyman's number out from under him, IIRC.

When giving directions to my parents' house outside Winston, I use the strip club and the adjacent Baptist church as landmarks, mainly for humorous effect.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
There is a certain sports "journalist", and I use that term loosely, who when he needed an account set up for his radio station job in chapel hill, the IT guy, who posts on this board, set up his password as 9f9f9f. To this day, 18 months later, it's still 9f9f9f. The poor schlep has no idea he's telling carolina to go to hell three times every time he signs into this account! Brilliant! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gif

dukelilsis
12-14-2012, 11:49 PM
So glad I'm not alone in this. I remember my car's plate number by Duke players' numbers & initials. When I have to chose a number for anything I go with 32. This started when I was playing intermural basketball in middle school. I had to pick a jersey number & made my selection based on my Mark Alarie infatuation. Christian cemented it as my favorite number.