PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to Cameron, and...

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi all!

I am new to the forum--but I am traveling from Ohio to Durham in January for the Wake Forest game. We got General Admission tickets in section 17--and it's my understanding from previous postings that they are standing tickets and the seats in the section are first come first serve. Is that right?

My husband is a die hard Duke fan and he's getting these tickets for Christmas (he has no idea!). I'd like to make it an awesome experience for him because I know it's one of his biggest dreams. Any tips/suggestions/etc. about the stadium/game as well as the city in general would be awesome. I know I'm in the right place for lots of good info!

Thanks in advance for any help :o

Jennifer L

uh_no
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi all!

I am new to the forum--but I am traveling from Ohio to Durham in January for the Wake Forest game. We got General Admission tickets in section 17--and it's my understanding from previous postings that they are standing tickets and the seats in the section are first come first serve. Is that right?

My husband is a die hard Duke fan and he's getting these tickets for Christmas (he has no idea!). I'd like to make it an awesome experience for him because I know it's one of his biggest dreams. Any tips/suggestions/etc. about the stadium/game as well as the city in general would be awesome. I know I'm in the right place for lots of good info!

Jennifer L

yes. its general admission in the student section. they may allow any students that are there first shot, but i'm unsure.

go check out the athletics/basketball museum...its pretty neat.

wtm001
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi all!

Jennifer L

Get there early! If you show up late you'll be standing towards the end of the section.

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Get there early! If you show up late you'll be standing towards the end of the section.

Good tip. Thanks! Do you have any idea how early the doors open?

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
yes. its general admission in the student section. they may allow any students that are there first shot, but i'm unsure.

go check out the athletics/basketball museum...its pretty neat.

I was thinking we needed to get down there early enough on Friday to do that since it seems from my research it's not open on the weekends. Thanks so much for the tip.

Turtleboy
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Good tip. Thanks! Do you have any idea how early the doors open?I was there an hour early for the women's game with Tennessee and it wasn't nearly soon enough. On the one hand, it was a women's game, on the other hand, it was a jersey retirement game.

uh_no
12-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I was thinking we needed to get down there early enough on Friday to do that since it seems from my research it's not open on the weekends. Thanks so much for the tip.

Hm. I was at a an exhibition game on sunday in november (somebody carolina), and I definitely walked around beforehand. I think they may open it specially on game days, not sure though.

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I was there an hour early for the women's game with Tennessee and it wasn't nearly soon enough. On the one hand, it was a women's game, on the other hand, it was a jersey retirement game.

Ohh, interesting. I don't have a problem getting there early at all--but I assume it'll be a bit chilly, so I don't want to be waiting outside for large amount of time. I'm trying to research when the doors open but not having much luck.

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Hm. I was at a an exhibition game on sunday in november (somebody carolina), and I definitely walked around beforehand. I think they may open it specially on game days, not sure though.

Awesome! That would be great. Thanks a bunch.

Turtleboy
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Ohh, interesting. I don't have a problem getting there early at all--but I assume it'll be a bit chilly, so I don't want to be waiting outside for large amount of time. I'm trying to research when the doors open but not having much luck.Here's a tip. Wear a heavy coat with something light underneath. It will be hot as blazes in there. The coat will end up balled up on your seat, perhaps even underfoot, so it probably should not be your Sunday best.

JenniferL
12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Here's a tip. Wear a heavy coat with something light underneath. It will be hot as blazes in there. The coat will end up balled up on your seat, perhaps even underfoot, so it probably should not be your Sunday best.

I was wondering how heavy I should go! That's a great tip. I imagine it's even hotter in the student section. I'm hoping we can get their plenty early to get some really good seats. Thanks a bunch.

Turtleboy
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I was wondering how heavy I should go! It's January in NC. The high could be anywhere from 15 to 70. Seriously. Most likely in the 30 to 40 range, however. Check your 5 day forecast before you leave.

ricks68
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I was wondering how heavy I should go! That's a great tip. I imagine it's even hotter in the student section. I'm hoping we can get their plenty early to get some really good seats. Thanks a bunch.

Wear a short-sleeve Duke shirt of some kind underneath your layered clothing. Then you can peel down to it once you get inside. Take all jackets, sweaters, scarves, purses, etc., and put them in the large plastic garbage bag that you have brought. The garbage bag then goes under your seat (for those upstairs), or on your seat if you are standing (actually, on the floor because you will be standing on the bleacher seats if you are in the corner student section. Works like a charm. Otherwise, you have to either sweat it out or step all over them and mess them up. The garbage bag can then be discarded after the game------or, you can use it to collect the discarded drink cups that you pick up to bring home as souvenirs.

ricks68

Johnboy
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Here's a tip. Wear a heavy coat with something light underneath. It will be hot as blazes in there. The coat will end up balled up on your seat, perhaps even underfoot, so it probably should not be your Sunday best.

Handy Tip: Bring a clean plastic bag (a kitchen trash bag works great) and put your coat(s) in there during the game. Your coat stays clean even if it gets trampled or food/drink gets spilled on it.

Edited to add: Ricks beat me to it!

Turtleboy
12-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Handy Tip: Bring a clean plastic bag (a kitchen trash bag works great) and put your coat(s) in there during the game. Your coat stays clean even if it gets trampled or food/drink gets spilled on it.

Edited to add: Ricks beat me to it!Good one! Also noted above.

When I used to go in the winter I would wear a heavy duty coat I used for construction so it sort of didn't matter, but the garbage back trick beats that hands down.

jimsumner
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
It's January in NC. The high could be anywhere from 15 to 70. Seriously. Most likely in the 30 to 40 range, however. Check your 5 day forecast before you leave.

The average high temperature in Durham that time of year is around 50. But there is a lot of variation.

Duke has a beautiful campus. Has been called a Gothic Wonderland and not with saracasm or irony.

Cameron is on the edge of the main portion of campus. The Duke Chapel is an easy walk.

ricks68
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Buy a white Duke hat. Bring a permanent marking pen. Get autographs on hat at halftime and after game. Bring hat back for autographs at future games. Best bets are former players sometimes sitting in seats behind bench and walking the concourse. Don't be shy. Even ask others around you who a very tall person walking by might be if you don't already know who it is. Bring camera for after game shots on Duke floor, especially around center court logo. Talk to parents of players after the game while they hang around waiting for their sons to come out. It's fun, and the parents really appreciate your attention. They deserve it also, considering what a fine job they did in raising such great kids. Do these things, and more. The more you actually participate in the experience, the more personal the memories will become, and the more you will feel a part of the Duke family. (Hey, I think that's a pretty profound statement!) I have a lot more good info if you want to PM me.

ricks68

TruBlu
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Have you or Hubby been to Duke before? If not, I would suggest getting there early enough before the game (a few hours), or staying a few hours after the game to take a tour of the Quad, Duke Chapel, Wallace Wade, and Bryan Center (where the main gift store is located). All are within easy walking distance of Cameron. Spend a little time with the Crazies at K-ville before the doors are open. Bring a camera.

Duke Gardens are nice (also walking distance), but I honestly don't know what it is like in the winter.

Just checked the schedule, which says that the game is at noon.

Enjoy your trip.

ricks68
12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Have you or Hubby been to Duke before? If not, I would suggest getting there early enough before the game (a few hours), or staying a few hours after the game to take a tour of the Quad, Duke Chapel, Wallace Wade, and Bryan Center (where the main gift store is located). All are within easy walking distance of Cameron. Spend a little time with the Crazies at K-ville before the doors are open. Bring a camera.

Duke Gardens are nice (also walking distance), but I honestly don't know what it is like in the winter.

Just checked the schedule, which says that the game is at noon.

Enjoy your trip.

Yep. You gotta go into K-ville and watch them paint-up before the game. Get pictures with them.

(Cue the restaurant suggestions at this time, please.)

ricks

uh_no
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Yep. You gotta go into K-ville and watch them paint-up before the game. Get pictures with them.

(Cue the restaurant suggestions at this time, please.)

ricks

the game is still over christmas break. class begins on the 9th, so many (most) students won't be back yet.

bedeviled
12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
... many (most) students won't be back yet.
Some people sitting in the student section during breaks are surprised that it isn't as raucous as they expected. Thus, TIP: CHEER! You are essentially taking the place of a student. It's more fun for you and everyone else if you join in the ruckus. Enjoy yourself; it's an opportunity to be a kid again! Also, in case this wasn't clear in an earlier post: if you hang around the court afterwards, the players eventually come out of the locker room and walk amongst you.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
While the lines form well ahead of time, the doors of Cameron open one hour before tip off.

If you are on campus on Friday afternoon, a carillon concert is played on weekdays beginning precisely at 5P. The short concert lasts about 15 minutes. On Fridays it always includes the Alma Mater (Dear Ole Duke) per the request of Terry Sanford, former university president and senator from North Carolina. Selections vary daily according to the ecclesiastical calendar, current events and the like.

You can hear it best inside the Chapel or outside on the main quad near the Chapel. This is a beautiful experience people encounter as students and remember the rest of their lives. This is an experience not to be missed.

Dev11
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
While the lines form well ahead of time, the doors of Cameron open one hour before tip off.

If you are on campus on Friday afternoon, a carillon concert is played on weekdays beginning precisely at 5P. The short concert lasts about 15 minutes. On Fridays it always includes the Alma Mater (Dear Ole Duke) per the request of Terry Sanford, former university president and senator from North Carolina. Selections vary daily according to the ecclesiastical calendar, current events and the like.

You can hear it best inside the Chapel or outside on the main quad near the Chapel. This is a beautiful experience people encounter as students and remember the rest of their lives. This is an experience not to be missed.

On the flip side, do not make phone calls at 5 pm on weekdays if you're walking around the main quad. It cannot be done.

Lid
12-13-2012, 09:46 AM
For most games, the doors open for students 90 min before tip and for non-students 60 min before tip. Assuming they follow that schedule for break games, if you're in general admission as a non-student, you'll be behind any students that were there first. I don't know that the schedule is set now, though, and sometimes they mix it up. For example, the doors are opening 105 min before tip for the two games next week (not sure if this is for students or for everyone). So, it probably would be a good idea to call the ticket office a week or so before and ask for the latest information.

Have a great time!

kingboozer
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Make sure to grab lunch/dinner at Satisfaction, right down the road from east campus in Brightleaf Square, it's a Duke/Durham/NC/World institution;)

lmb
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Some people sitting in the student section during breaks are surprised that it isn't as raucous as they expected. Thus, TIP: CHEER! You are essentially taking the place of a student. It's more fun for you and everyone else if you join in the ruckus. Enjoy yourself; it's an opportunity to be a kid again! Also, in case this wasn't clear in an earlier post: if you hang around the court afterwards, the players eventually come out of the locker room and walk amongst you.

Although we found out last year that many of the players don't come out on the court after games. We were waiting inside and missed a bunch of guys who came out the back. Exit Cameron through the doors by the locker room on the end that the band sits on and wait for them outside on that plaza.

I am envious that you're going.:) Although maybe my plea for tickets on the ticket exchange forum will get answered.:D

mrDerp
12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
we will be going to the Duke-Cornell game on 12/19, first time in Cameron. Anything interesting basketball related to check out before the game? How early can we get in?

Also, since the game occurs after exams, are most of the students gone by then?

Cameron
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Do not forget to visit the Duke Store in the Bryan Center on the center of campus (about a two minute walk from Cameron) for pretty much any kind of Blue Devil merchandise and memorabilia that you can think of. Half of my Duke t-shirts are from there, including the infamous green earth day shirt that the Crazies once wore in a game that almost caused us to lose to N.C. State before they tossed them onto the court at half-time.

Also, if you are planning on getting breakfast somewhere before the game, might I recommend Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street in Durham. The best waffles and pancakes in town. It's located near another Blue Devils (unofficial) team store called the Duck Shop, which might also be somewhere to check out if you have time.

BlueDevil16
12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
we will be going to the Duke-Cornell game on 12/19, first time in Cameron. Anything interesting basketball related to check out before the game? How early can we get in?

All students are gone as off tomorrow. Check out the Hall of Fame (natty championship trophies are there) right next to Cameron (its free). Duck Shop/Elmos is a solid choice on 9th street for before the game as well. I think you can get in an hour before.

OldPhiKap
12-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Enjoy the trip! Great ideas on this thread already, not much to add other than my hopes for a fun time. I spent more time there than I should probably admit, and do not regret any of it!

sagegrouse
12-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Someone else has recommended the display of the National Championship trophies. It is part of a mini-museum for Duke basketball on the second level of Cameron. You can enter from outside, although I don't know how that works on game days.

uh_no
12-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Someone else has recommended the display of the National Championship trophies. It is part of a mini-museum for Duke basketball on the second level of Cameron. You can enter from outside, although I don't know how that works on game days.

It's open until 90(?) minutes before game time, and then they make everyone leave and it reopens after the gates open.

BigWayne
12-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Door openings, etc. are covered here: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=635259&SPID=72334&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205356624

licc85
12-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Hi all!

Jennifer L

Best Christmas gift ever . . . you are an amazing wife and if I were your husband, this would be me on Christmas morning (Replace "Nintendo 64" with "Cameron Indoor Stadium"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU&feature=player_embedded

KenTankerous
12-17-2012, 06:05 AM
If you haven't booked a hotel yet, may I suggest The Washington Duke. It is on campus, within walking distance to Cameron, not to mention 5 star glorious.

http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

OldPhiKap
12-17-2012, 08:40 AM
If you haven't booked a hotel yet, may I suggest The Washington Duke. It is on campus, within walking distance to Cameron, not to mention 5 star glorious.

http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

agree with this, and usually the price is not off the scale. Bring your walking shoes.

JenniferL
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Wow--so many AWESOME tips here. Knew I could count on all of you to lead me in the right direction. This is the first time either of us will have been there--or anywhere near Durham in general. The plan as of right now is to leave Ohio around 6am Friday and get to NC around 2pm. Check into our hotel (hoping for the WashDuke) and then walk around campus, hopefully hit the Hall of Fame museum--and then head to dinner at one of the many awesome places suggested.

I will try to post some photos of his face when I give him the tickets--it's sure to be good!

JenniferL
12-17-2012, 09:12 AM
From my research--it looks like the WashDuke is booked the 4th-6th except for the Junior Suites--which are coming in at $360/night. Hmm, guess I'm looking for a different place to stay!

Any other hotels near the University you guys suggest? Ideally, we'd love to be able to walk to most everything--the game especially.

Thanks a bundle in advance.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
From my research--it looks like the WashDuke is booked the 4th-6th except for the Junior Suites--which are coming in at $360/night. Hmm, guess I'm looking for a different place to stay!

Any other hotels near the University you guys suggest? Ideally, we'd love to be able to walk to most everything--the game especially.

I don't have any other recommendations, but you may want to check with your chosen hotel to see if they have shuttle buses. Many have them to the medical center, at least. Parking was never fun when I was there, and I assume it has not gotten much better.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Maybe this would work for you. There is a hotel that's part of the Dave Thomas Conference Center on the Duke campus. The location is a reasonable walk to Cameron and many other campus sites. http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/rdtecc/accommodations/

sagegrouse
12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe this would work for you. There is a hotel that's part of the Dave Thomas Conference Center on the Duke campus. The location is a reasonable walk to Cameron and many other campus sites. http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/rdtecc/accommodations/

Also, sounds like there may be a conference at Wash Duke. You may want to check closer to the date and see if rooms have freed up.

sage