PDA

View Full Version : Seeking December "Valley of Dearth" Coping Mechanisms

hustleplays
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Help! We are crawling through December's Valley of Dearth of B-ball games. What coping mechanisms do you use, when life has no purpose, meaning, structure and zest? How to get up in the morning and make it through the day? I have received some consolation by checking the schedule. There appear to be more games in the distant future, but they are such a long way off. Any help and solace that my fellow/sister DBRers can provide would be greatly appreciated. Despondent in Durham, Hustle Plays. :(

OldPhiKap
12-12-2012, 02:50 AM
Help! We are crawling through December's Valley of Dearth of B-ball games. What coping mechanisms do you use, when life has no purpose, meaning, structure and zest? How to get up in the morning and make it through the day? I have received some consolation by checking the schedule. There appear to be more games in the distant future, but they are such a long way off. Any help and solace that my fellow/sister DBRers can provide would be greatly appreciated. Despondent in Durham, Hustle Plays. :(

Well, you could take this opportunity to reconnect with family and friends who you have neglected during the last month, and who may not see you until after March. Maybe read a book, do a community service project, or spend some time in quiet contemplation of the many ways in which you can improve the lives of yourself and those around you.

Or, you can do what I do: watch the video vault of past games and highlights at www.theacc.com -- great way to keep up the anti-social barrier through these barren and forlorn periods of down time.

licc85
12-12-2012, 03:58 AM

Wow, it depressed me to just read that. How do you make it through baseball season? Are you just on suicide watch for 3 months? Watch some NBA games, and root for former Blue Devils! Kyrie finally made it back from his broken finger and posted 28 points, 11 assists and 6 boards in a 4 point win over the Lakers. If that doesn't cheer you up, then I don't know what will.

hustleplays
12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Well, you could take this opportunity to reconnect with family and friends who you have neglected during the last month, and who may not see you until after March. Maybe read a book, do a community service project, or spend some time in quiet contemplation of the many ways in which you can improve the lives of yourself and those around you.

Or, you can do what I do: watch the video vault of past games and highlights at www.theacc.com -- great way to keep up the anti-social barrier through these barren and forlorn periods of down time.

Thank you so much, OPK, for this lifeline, moat, whatever! Excellent suggestion. I must admit that you had me scared for a second there -- those comments about reconnecting with dog, family, friends, quietly brooding on improving random lives, etc. But I skipped right through those dubious options to your brilliant idea. I've done the math: I can watch 7 games a day and still not run out, all the way to 7 pm, Dec 20. Hope is back!

Delighted in Durham, hustleplays

moonpie23
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
A weekend trip to Colorado???? :cool:

hustleplays
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, it depressed me to just read that. How do you make it through baseball season? Are you just on suicide watch for 3 months? Watch some NBA games, and root for former Blue Devils! Kyrie finally made it back from his broken finger and posted 28 points, 11 assists and 6 boards in a 4 point win over the Lakers. If that doesn't cheer you up, then I don't know what will.

Thank you for your response, Dukie in China, even though it was a bit depressing. If you have any milk of human kindness in your veins, please don't bring up baseball season again. Kyrie's performance helped. It did. A lot. But it was only one night. I've told him that he must continue to provide this uplift on a continuous basis. Happy Holidays!

Billy Dat
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Watch some NBA games

THIS! The NBA is in an excellent place right now...lots of all time greats in their prime, lots of good guys to root for, a different mentality then the overpaid and entitled attitude that prevailed from the mid 1990s to early to mid aughts. Maybe I am just excited that the Knicks look for real again. But, as licc85 said, it's hard to swing a dead cat and miss a Duke player in the NBA (nod to Brian Williams on last night's Sandy concert)