PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/10-12/16

pfrduke
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
And then there was one. Virginia Tech put up a spirited fight on Saturday in a hostile environment, but ended up dropping their first game of the season, a 1-point loss to West Virginia, leaving Duke as the ACC's sole remaining unbeaten. And I can give a 100% guarantee that will still be true at the time I write the next post in this series.

Exam week is quiet all over the conference with just 8 games across the entire week. There's really just one tough contest in the bunch (Miami v. 9-0 Charlotte), so anything other than 8-0 would be a negative performance.

Monday puts the Hokies right back in action looking to start a new winning streak. They take on the Delta Devils of Mississippi Valley State, one of the nation's worst teams that hasn't helped itself by playing one of the nation's hardest schedules.

[62]Virginia Tech hosts [332]Mississippi Valley State

Tuesday is dark.

Wednesday is, as Dickie V might say, Maryland's next stop on its trip through cupcake city. The Terps are in the middle of a 6-game stretch of home games against opponents that, charitably, are not very good. 5 of the 6 are among the worst 50-60 teams in the nation (the exception is Stony Brook, which is a contender to win the America East). This week's sacrificial lamb is Monmouth.

[74]Maryland hosts [264]Monmouth

Thursday is dark.

Friday has the week's marquee matchup mentioned above, with Miami playing host to unbeaten Charlotte. Charlotte is this year's Great Alaska Shootout champion, but they've basically gone through a schedule that would make the Terps feel ashamed. The rest of their pre-conference slate is similarly light, so it's up to Miami this week or Florida State on the 22nd to make sure Charlotte enters A-10 play with a defeat.

[49]Miami hosts [87]Charlotte

Saturday puts four teams in action, including one against a tournament team from last year that's off to a rough start so far (Norfolk State). Another set of post-exam tuneup games.

[19]UNC hosts [131]East Carolina
[62]Virginia Tech hosts [278]Georgia Southern
[27]NC State hosts [236]Norfolk State
[63]Clemson hosts [333]Florida A&M

Sunday puts Boston College at home against New Hampshire. UNH has been feistier than usual this season, but that's not saying a lot.

[178]Boston College hosts [235]New Hampshire

ACC Non-Conference Record: 74-28
ACC vs. BCS Opponents: 17-15
America East: 1-0
Atlantic 10: 6-3
Atlantic Sun: 7-2
Big XII: 1-3
Big East: 2-2
Big South: 7-0
Big Ten: 8-6
Big West: 1-0
Colonial: 5-2
CUSA: 4-0
Horizon: 3-0
Ivy: 0-1
MAAC: 2-1
MAC: 2-0
MEAC: 2-0
NEC: 2-1
OVC: 1-0
Pac-12: 0-2
Patriot: 1-0
SEC: 6-2
Southern: 4-1
Southland: 1-0
Sun Belt: 3-1
SWAC: 1-0
West Coast: 2-1
WAC: 1-0
Non D-I: 1-0

Lunchab1es
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
GTech actually played UGA last week...their next game isn't until the 17th against Alabama State. An even quieter week, it seems.

davekay1971
12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
GTech actually played UGA last week...their next game isn't until the 17th against Alabama State. An even quieter week, it seems.

The three games listed under Tuesday all occurred last week. Looks like a cut-and-paste error. I recognize it because I do it ALL...THE...TIME...:D

pfrduke
12-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The three games listed under Tuesday all occurred last week. Looks like a cut-and-paste error. I recognize it because I do it ALL...THE...TIME...:D

Indeed it was - thanks for the heads up.