PDA

View Full Version : Four Best So Far: Duke, Indiana, Michigan, and ???

DavidBenAkiva
12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Now that we are 6 weeks or so into the season, I see four teams establishing themselves as "the best."

Obviously, we know all about Duke and how good they have played so far. I am really enjoying this season and look forward to seeing how good they become.

Indiana was thought of as the best team heading into the season and they haven't looked much different than one of or perhaps the best team. They have size with Zeller and Watford, athleticism with Oladipo and Sheahy, good point guard play, and depth. Due to the stupidity of the NCAA, they haven't even been playing with two of their reserve big men yet this season. The victory against UNC in Bloomington doesn't stack up against Duke's victories over Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, or VCU, but they did look darn good in destroying the Tar Heels in the second half.

I'm watching the Michigan game right now and they look darn good, too. They have very talented players on the wings with Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, Jr., and Nick Stauskas; size with Jordan Morgan and the improving Mitch McGary (Let's not get into that situation. I've seen a few games now, and while they don't run anything for him, he is providing size and rebounding for them.); and great floor spacing. We should expect floor spacing to be excellent given their coach. Glenn Robinson III looks like a really good freshman, too. He can play inside and out and is very athletic. I am really looking forward to seeing an Indiana-Michigan and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup. Even the Indiana-Ohio State matchups should be fun to watch.

These three teams seem to be the best to me, but Florida has looked legit, too. I've heard Syracuse is playing great as well. I haven't seen Florida or Syracuse right now. Are there four teams that have separated themselves from everyone else at this point? Is there a case that five teams are head and shoulders ahead? What say all of you?

Oriole Way
12-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Florida for sure.

davekay1971
12-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd keep Louisville close to the top. We beat them, but they weren't at full strength. KenPom still has them ranked highly. Their talent and experience at backcourt and their defensive strength remind me of...well, a good Duke team!

uh_no
12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd keep Louisville close to the top. We beat them, but they weren't at full strength. KenPom still has them ranked highly. Their talent and experience at backcourt and their defensive strength remind me of...well, a good Duke team!

absolutely UL. We beat them in a tight game when they were at less than full strength....other than that they trashed missouri the day before they played us.

they have memphis in a couple weeks and UK a few after that....they'll be very telling.

sporthenry
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
These three teams seem to be the best to me, but Florida has looked legit, too. I've heard Syracuse is playing great as well. I haven't seen Florida or Syracuse right now. Are there four teams that have separated themselves from everyone else at this point? Is there a case that five teams are head and shoulders ahead? What say all of you?

I've heard a lot about Syracuse looking impressive. But then again, UNC would look impressive with their schedule. Their most impressive win would be Duke's 4th most impressive win.

I also wouldn't say these 4/5/6 are head and shoulders above anyone else. I would be hard pressed to say they are heads above anyone. These top teams have been impressive in that they don't beat themselves but they haven't exactly been picking people apart. I was impressed with Indiana's dismantling of UNC but UNC isn't that impressive and IU struggled with a Georgetown team that just beat Towson 46-40.

I think this is a case of a lot of parity at the top and while people will try to distinguish who is best, it is a process in futility. Could see a 2/3 seed winning this year and not be surprised. Duke has the 2 most impressive victories with wins over top 10 teams but they didn't dismantle those teams. Duke found a way to win which is what good teams do but OSU looked like they were going to run away at CIS, if they were in Columbus, it might have been a different story.

subzero02
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Florida is really good... Their defense can be crippling. I would rank them ahead of Michigan.

1 24 90
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Don't forget about Gonzaga! I think they'll show how good they are against Illinois tonight.

subzero02
12-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Don't forget about Gonzaga! I think they'll show how good they are against Illinois tonight.

The Zags are favored by 11.5 points... I will be very impressed if they cover.

Saratoga2
12-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Now that we are 6 weeks or so into the season, I see four teams establishing themselves as "the best."

Obviously, we know all about Duke and how good they have played so far. I am really enjoying this season and look forward to seeing how good they become.

Indiana was thought of as the best team heading into the season and they haven't looked much different than one of or perhaps the best team. They have size with Zeller and Watford, athleticism with Oladipo and Sheahy, good point guard play, and depth. Due to the stupidity of the NCAA, they haven't even been playing with two of their reserve big men yet this season. The victory against UNC in Bloomington doesn't stack up against Duke's victories over Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, or VCU, but they did look darn good in destroying the Tar Heels in the second half.

I'm watching the Michigan game right now and they look darn good, too. They have very talented players on the wings with Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, Jr., and Nick Stauskas; size with Jordan Morgan and the improving Mitch McGary (Let's not get into that situation. I've seen a few games now, and while they don't run anything for him, he is providing size and rebounding for them.); and great floor spacing. We should expect floor spacing to be excellent given their coach. Glenn Robinson III looks like a really good freshman, too. He can play inside and out and is very athletic. I am really looking forward to seeing an Indiana-Michigan and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup. Even the Indiana-Ohio State matchups should be fun to watch.

I would think Florida is that 4th team right now.

Jackson
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm not sold on Michigan. Maybe it's because (except for the Amaker years) I can't stand them, but I think Hardaway creates chemistry issues. Each time I see them play, he does something childish and in the long run it will end them when they play a real "team". Another reason why I love this year's Duke team, they play as a unit as well as any I can remember, including 2010.

1 24 90
12-09-2012, 12:22 AM
The Zags are favored by 11.5 points... I will be very impressed if they cover.

Wow was I way off. Illinois gets an 11 point win at Gonzaga in the Kennel. Brandon Paul does it again. Much respect to Illinois.

subzero02
12-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Illinois shot very well tonight... This win will be a nice resume bullet point come selection time.

cptnflash
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Florida. It's not even close. I think the top 3 are Duke, Indiana, and Florida, and then you can argue about Michigan / Louisville / Syracuse / Ohio State for #4.

superdave
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Mitch McGary sure is setting a lot of screens tonight. Indiana is pushing the pace. Good game so far.

throatybeard
02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I finished second for a job there in 2006 and have never been to the basketball arena, but Assembly hall looks really excellent.

davekay1971
02-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Indiana and Michigan put on a good game tonight. Indiana looked better, more balanced. But, of course, the game was at Indiana. Both teams are very, very good.

One thing about Michigan, John Beilien is a great basketball coach. I love the fact that he has coached, successfully, at every level - high school, small college, mid-major, big college, bigger college. The man has a system, but he also knows how to get the most out of his talent.

Wander
02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
There's a small part of me that's scared Florida is just going to rip through everyone for the rest of the season, including March.

gam7
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
There's a small part of me that's scared Florida is just going to rip through everyone for the rest of the season, including March.

I can live with that if it means they'll struggle in April.

IBleedBlue
02-02-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't agree with the OP that we have established ourselves as one of the four best teams.
Florida, Indiana, Michigan are definitely top three. Order doesn't matter. Florida is crushing teams with it's stingy defense and I fully believe that they will make the final four if they keep that type of defense.
Indiana and Michigan have good offenses, although Indiana is still prone to inconsistencies every now and then.
Beyond these three, there is no sure shot 4th best team. It is anybody's slot as of right now.

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I don't agree with the OP that we have established ourselves as one of the four best teams.
Florida, Indiana, Michigan are definitely top three. Order doesn't matter. Florida is crushing teams with it's stingy defense and I fully believe that they will make the final four if they keep that type of defense.
Indiana and Michigan have good offenses, although Indiana is still prone to inconsistencies every now and then.
Beyond these three, there is no sure shot 4th best team. It is anybody's slot as of right now.

This was done in the beginning of December. At that time, Duke was the best team in the country. Certainly Florida has put itself squarely in the discussion and even KU should be acknowledged. Personally, I think it is those 5 and then a drop off. Now Duke gets put in there mainly for what they did in November and December with a healthy Kelly so they are sort of the unknown but I think this will help with the selection committee at least.

uh_no
02-03-2013, 12:53 AM

not without kelly, surely.

we've lost our two games against decent opponents (albeit both on the road) and one in embarrassing fasion

we have had 4 wins against kenpom: 60, 80, 93, and 132....hardly world beating, despite certainly looking good this afternoon against wake.

we're maintaining our high position due to the excellent performances this team put in the first 15 games of the season, but we haven't yet done anything to demonstrate that the post-kelly team is anywhere near the top four....

we play NCSU on thursday, and of course that game will go a long way to demonstrating if the current incarnation has turned a leaf since the first loss (today's game being promising)....but we're 0-2 against top 25 teams since kelly went out, and for a fair amount of the time have looked like we would have trouble beating any top 25 squad, let alone the guys in the top 10 or 5.

JNort
02-03-2013, 01:32 AM

I feel very confident that we could beat Michigan easy enough because of match ups and Indiana would be a good game but I think we would win that by 6+. Florida I have yet to see enough to know. The only teams that scare me is Miami and KU. I think we are a top team for sure! Duke, Michigan, Indiana, Florida, KU being the only solid ones with a good chance at a Naty this year.

ice-9
02-03-2013, 03:22 AM
It's a top four and a half.
- Indiana, Florida, Michigan, Louisville and Duke with Kelly
- Indiana, Florida, Michigan, Louisville without Kelly

noworries
02-03-2013, 03:24 AM
I feel very confident that we could beat Michigan easy enough because of match ups and Indiana would be a good game but I think we would win that by 6+. Florida I have yet to see enough to know. The only teams that scare me is Miami and KU. I think we are a top team for sure! Duke, Michigan, Indiana, Florida, KU being the only solid ones with a good chance at a Naty this year.

just watched the first 8-10 minutes of the duke game and the indiana game from saturday and the matchup would be nuts...
most every spot is even...with kelly back that is

NashvilleDevil
02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Florida will continue to look impressive because the SEC is really weak this year. I think at Kentucky is the next time they have a tough game.

mgtr
02-03-2013, 08:26 AM
It's a top four and a half.
- Indiana, Florida, Michigan, Louisville and Duke with Kelly
- Indiana, Florida, Michigan, Louisville without Kelly

I can't argue about the apparent top four, this list looks good. However, there are plenty of teams which, by tournament time, will be there. So I would look for 8-10 teams which are going to be very competitive in the tournament -- those four plus Michigan State, Duke, Butler, Gonzaga, Kansas, Miami, Arizona plus a couple others I cannot think of right now. Every year we talk about parity and this year is closer to that than we have seen. Should be an exciting tournament.

Saratoga2
02-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Indiana and Michigan put on a good game tonight. Indiana looked better, more balanced. But, of course, the game was at Indiana. Both teams are very, very good.

One thing about Michigan, John Beilien is a great basketball coach. I love the fact that he has coached, successfully, at every level - high school, small college, mid-major, big college, bigger college. The man has a system, but he also knows how to get the most out of his talent.

Both teams are really good. Indiana has no real weakness with excellent rebounding and scoring from other players than their two two. They seem to have a weakness though in that they rushed the ball up the court and their PG turned the ball over several times late, when the pace cried for slowing things down. Oladipo also took an ill advised 3 (open) with less than 10 seconds off the clock with the game winding down. So perhaps the weakness I see is judgment.

Michigan is strong at all positions and I am impressed with McGary as a freshman. They lost to an excellent Indiana team in away game. It happens.

I would rank Indiana, Florida and Michigan as the top three teams. As far as where Duke sits now, too many flaws without Ryan to put them as a clear 4th. Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse and probably Michigan State are also in the hunt. Don't know much about Arizona but they have a good record as does Ohio State. Get Ryan back and have him playing at a high level and I do think we are in the top 4. Right now we are a 6 man team with Amile making great progress as a starter and with Tyler as the 6th man. After that, we are not so deep, with Josh only okay and both Marshall and Alex looking lost.

IBleedBlue
02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Both teams are really good. Indiana has no real weakness with excellent rebounding and scoring from other players than their two two. They seem to have a weakness though in that they rushed the ball up the court and their PG turned the ball over several times late, when the pace cried for slowing things down. Oladipo also took an ill advised 3 (open) with less than 10 seconds off the clock with the game winding down. So perhaps the weakness I see is judgment.

Michigan is strong at all positions and I am impressed with McGary as a freshman. They lost to an excellent Indiana team in away game. It happens.

I would rank Indiana, Florida and Michigan as the top three teams. As far as where Duke sits now, too many flaws without Ryan to put them as a clear 4th. Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse and probably Michigan State are also in the hunt. Don't know much about Arizona but they have a good record as does Ohio State. Get Ryan back and have him playing at a high level and I do think we are in the top 4. Right now we are a 6 man team with Amile making great progress as a starter and with Tyler as the 6th man. After that, we are not so deep, with Josh only okay and both Marshall and Alex looking lost.

Indiana's PG looked like he wanted to make flashy passes instead of a simple pass. I observed several times that he tried to make a pass with one hand i.e. his left hand when he could have thrown a simple two handed pass. Needless to say, Michigan picked off his one handed passes quite a few times within the last 6 minutes of the game. If Indiana lost, that poor ball handling would have been a major reason.

sagegrouse
02-04-2013, 01:54 PM
No real surprises for Duke in that Michigan lost only two spots through its road loss to Indiana.

Miami deservedly jumped into the Top Ten, gaining six spots to #8.

NC State is now unranked. Hey, Wuffies! You need to win at least some of these close games.

Virginia got a few votes, but overall - only four ACC teams received any votes by the writers.

'Florida is a solid #2, and I predict will soon have a long run as #1, given the weakness of the SEC this year'

sagegrouse

subzero02
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
No real surprises for Duke in that Michigan lost only two spots through its road loss to Indiana.

NC State is now unranked. Hey, Wuffies! You need to win at least some of these close games.

Virginia got a few votes, but overall - only four ACC teams received any votes by the writers.

'Florida is a solid #2, and I predict will soon have a long run as #1, given the weakness of the SEC this year'

sagegrouse

I like where we are right now. We will know a lot more about this team's development in the next few weeks. Thursday's game against the wuffies beacons a raucous performance from the crazies and a ton of energy from our team... revenge. If we can get Ryan back in time for the ACC tourney I like our chances to reach the final four.

sporthenry
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM

sagegrouse

Surprised the Woofies fell out of the top 25. No starting PG, lost at UVA which isn't that bad and at home versus a top 10 team. Not sure they should have dropped out of the top 25 but I'd hate to see them in the NCAAT, luckily we won't see them until the F4 or possibly E8 most likely.

DCGeneral
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Indiana's PG looked like he wanted to make flashy passes instead of a simple pass. I observed several times that he tried to make a pass with one hand i.e. his left hand when he could have thrown a simple two handed pass. Needless to say, Michigan picked off his one handed passes quite a few times within the last 6 minutes of the game.

This is incorrect. Indiana, as a team, only turned the ball over five times in the entire 2nd half. Two of those turnovers were by Yogi. In the 2nd half, he turned the ball over at the 13:18 mark, and committed one at the 4:59 mark. That's it.

In the last six minutes of the game, IU turned the ball over only twice. Not sure what game you and Saratoga2 were watching, but Michigan was not "picking off Yogi's one handed passes quite a few times within the last 6 minutes of the game".

http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330330084

IBleedBlue
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
This is incorrect. Indiana, as a team, only turned the ball over five times in the entire 2nd half. Two of those turnovers were by Yogi. In the 2nd half, he turned the ball over at the 13:18 mark, and committed one at the 4:59 mark. That's it.

In the last six minutes of the game, IU turned the ball over only twice. Not sure what game you and Saratoga2 were watching, but Michigan was not "picking off Yogi's one handed passes quite a few times within the last 6 minutes of the game".

http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330330084

Actually, you are correct. I didn't mean to say pick off but those one handed passes by Yogi did help Michigan by not getting the ball at the proper place to his teammate. That's what I meant...

DCGeneral
02-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Actually, you are correct. I didn't mean to say pick off but those one handed passes by Yogi did help Michigan by not getting the ball at the proper place to his teammate. That's what I meant...

Yet you said, "Needless to say, Michigan picked off his one handed passes quite a few times within the last 6 minutes of the game." You can just admit that you made it up. It's all good.