PDA

View Full Version : K's TV show

gumbomoop
12-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Today (Sat 12/8) was first episode of K's weekly TV show, which FSN has every Sat morn at 9:30 [FSN is channel 646 on DirecTV]. I'm starting this new thread esp for those who don't have access to this and to whenever and wherever else it's televised.

K's show is different from traditional coach shows I've seen, in that it's not merely, and often only minimally, a rehash of the previous week's games. Rather, it's always thematic, some more interesting than others, but all more interesting than rehash. Thus, each show is fairly called an "episode."

The first episode for this season was entitled "November to Remember." I'd summarize its major topics and themes as:

overall attributes/characteristics of this Duke team
good inside analysis by K, Ryan, Quinn, and Rasheed
Quinn's emergence
Chris Spatola, yep
K's closing - unhappy - remarks re changing landscape of college sports

1. Overview of team -- K said early season devoted to team-building. He's very pleased with senior leadership. Team full of "good guys," who don't worry about minutes, not frustrated if limited playing time. Mentioned team dinners, good spirit. Team-building is "all on the players." Ryan chimed in, very articulate on seniors wanting to end up on top. [And Ryan did mean the very end of the season. Nudge, wink.]

2. Analysis -- Mason on Duke's depth, multi-dimensional. K on togetherness, playing as one, "have to have right mental approach." "Why do you play? To start, get minutes? Well, this team plays to win, which is the best attitude. Wanting to start isn't as good as being consumed to win." Now, said K, "outside influences" [DBR, ha!] focus on who's playing, who's not. "But that's not our focus, which is being together to win." Ryan: Each time we step on floor, we have something to prove.

3 Quinn's emergence -- Mason: B4A was great for Quinn. K: Quinn has changed, even from beginning of practice this season, tougher, more confident. "That's probably the biggest thing, Quinn's play." Mason, smiling broadly: "All the good point guards talk a lot [a double entendre, I'm pretty sure]. That's Quinn." K: Quinn has worked hard, responded to our many] criticisms, stayed positive, has translated to big improvement. Confidence started in UK game, which led then and since to confidence in him by teammates. Rasheed: detailed analysis of Quinn's game. Wow, Rasheed knows Quinn's game, and can tell you stuff. [Rasheed is an impressive guy. Impressive, articulate plus.]

4. Chris Spatola -- Labeled a "TV analyst," CP had a nice little - and informative - moment in Duke's "Defense Room," where the team gathers just before going out on the floor at CIS. Being in that room as last thing before going out to the floor, with its photos of Duke-D-legends and plaques to D-focus, symbolizes K's belief that D comes first and last. [Again, nice Spatola-time, esp. given the subject matter: D, first and last.]

5. K's unhappy -- with the "changing landscape of college sports." Real unhappy. K: "We are academic institutions that have good sports. Great rivalries. But now things are not based on tradition and excellence, but on the bottom line, money. Seems like a corporate takeover. All these things that make college college go out the window, and I don't like it. And it's not over; other conferences are going to dissolve. What does that do to the colleges?" K ended with some pointed, blunt [complementary opposites, a weird oxymoron-like thing, 2 adjectives that sometimes mean what they appear to mean - opposite things - but other times mean pretty close to the same thing] commentary re NCAA: "Interesting to me that it's not the NCAA in control, but the conference commissioners. All this is happening and there's no comment from the NCAA; it's all conference commissioners." All delivered with a wry smile that was not a smile.

[ETA: pointed, blunt -- maybe these 2 adjectives have almost opposite meanings when used to describe physical things, but pretty much the same meaning when used to describe language.]

Oriole Way
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Great summary, thank you for taking the time.

Is K's show archived on YouTube, Hulu, GoDuke or anywhere else?

Newton_14
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Today (Sat 12/8) was first episode of K's weekly TV show, which FSN has every Sat morn at 9:30 [FSN is channel 646 on DirecTV]. I'm starting this new thread esp for those who don't have access to this and to whenever and wherever else it's televised.

K's show is different from traditional coach shows I've seen, in that it's not merely, and often only minimally, a rehash of the previous week's games. Rather, it's always thematic, some more interesting than others, but all more interesting than rehash. Thus, each show is fairly called an "episode."

The first episode for this season was entitled "November to Remember." I'd summarize its major topics and themes as:

overall attributes/characteristics of this Duke team
good inside analysis by K, Ryan, Quinn, and Rasheed
Quinn's emergence
Chris Spatola, yep
K's closing - unhappy - remarks re changing landscape of college sports

1. Overview of team -- K said early season devoted to team-building. He's very pleased with senior leadership. Team full of "good guys," who don't worry about minutes, not frustrated if limited playing time. Mentioned team dinners, good spirit. Team-building is "all on the players." Ryan chimed in, very articulate on seniors wanting to end up on top. [And Ryan did mean the very end of the season. Nudge, wink.]

2. Analysis -- Mason on Duke's depth, multi-dimensional. K on togetherness, playing as one, "have to have right mental approach." "Why do you play? To start, get minutes? Well, this team plays to win, which is the best attitude. Wanting to start isn't as good as being consumed to win." Now, said K, "outside influences" [DBR, ha!] focus on who's playing, who's not. "But that's not our focus, which is being together to win." Ryan: Each time we step on floor, we have something to prove.

3 Quinn's emergence -- Mason: B4A was great for Quinn. K: Quinn has changed, even from beginning of practice this season, tougher, more confident. "That's probably the biggest thing, Quinn's play." Mason, smiling broadly: "All the good point guards talk a lot [a double entendre, I'm pretty sure]. That's Quinn." K: Quinn has worked hard, responded to our many] criticisms, stayed positive, has translated to big improvement. Confidence started in UK game, which led then and since to confidence in him by teammates. Rasheed: detailed analysis of Quinn's game. Wow, Rasheed knows Quinn's game, and can tell you stuff. [Rasheed is an impressive guy. Impressive, articulate plus.]

4. Chris Spatola -- Labeled a "TV analyst," CP had a nice little - and informative - moment in Duke's "Defense Room," where the team gathers just before going out on the floor at CIS. Being in that room as last thing before going out to the floor, with its photos of Duke-D-legends and plaques to D-focus, symbolizes K's belief that D comes first and last. [Again, nice Spatola-time, esp. given the subject matter: D, first and last.]

5. K's unhappy -- with the "changing landscape of college sports." Real unhappy. K: "We are academic institutions that have good sports. Great rivalries. But now things are not based on tradition and excellence, but on the bottom line, money. Seems like a corporate takeover. All these things that make college college go out the window, and I don't like it. And it's not over; other conferences are going to dissolve. What does that do to the colleges?" K ended with some pointed, blunt [complementary opposites, a weird oxymoron-like thing, 2 adjectives that sometimes mean what they appear to mean - opposite things - but other times mean pretty close to the same thing] commentary re NCAA: "Interesting to me that it's not the NCAA in control, but the conference commissioners. All this is happening and there's no comment from the NCAA; it's all conference commissioners." All delivered with a wry smile that was not a smile.

[ETA: pointed, blunt -- maybe these 2 adjectives have almost opposite meanings when used to describe physical things, but pretty much the same meaning when used to describe language.]

Thanks for the heads up and great summary. DVR time! I love hearing Coach K speak. I think he is the greatest coach ever to listen to. I have said this many times before, but pick any sport, and listen to the Head Coach in an interview or in a presser. No matter the topic or question, I always feel like I know what they are going to say, and how they will say it. With K, I never have a clue what to expect. It could be the simplest question and K's answer will take you places you had no idea you were headed to. I honestly could listen to the man all day and would not get bored. His wit is beautiful, but overall he is just a man who thinks on a very different level than normal men do.

I am glad he is speaking out against all the expansion craziness. It is time people in power stood up and said "Enough, stop the madness".

msdukie
12-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Show is usually archived on GoDuke by Thursday (the show actually airs on Sundays on WTVD in Durham before the FS South/Carolinas repeat the following Saturday - both in HD). Also, while the show is on FSN in the Carolinas, it also airs at the same time nationally if you have a sports pack with cable on Fox College Sports (FCS) Atlantic (standard def).

gumbomoop
12-09-2012, 03:30 AM
Show is usually archived on GoDuke by Thursday (the show actually airs on Sundays on WTVD in Durham before the FS South/Carolinas repeat the following Saturday - both in HD). Also, while the show is on FSN in the Carolinas, it also airs at the same time nationally if you have a sports pack with cable on Fox College Sports (FCS) Atlantic (standard def).

Thanks for this update info. Presumably all have access to GoDuke, so it's debatable whether any summary of the later broadcast - Sat morns, 6 days after original broadcast and 2 days after archiving on GoDuke - will be very useful. Since I personally will probably continue to watch on Sat morns, maybe intermittently some stuff will catch my attention, and I'll occasionally post on it. Unless I develop what Barney Fife called a "compelsion complex" to blather every Saturday about slightly-old business. Fanatics sometimes behave both fanatically and compelsively.

Anyhow, msdukie's important info here will point EK readers to timely access to K's shows. To repeat: always thematic, always superior to typical coach shows that just, compelsively, rehash games.

Kedsy
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Here's where you can find the video (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&db_oem_id=4200). At this point you have to search for it (it's under "Related Videos." Look for "Inside Basketball with Duke's Coach K," from December 2. The site also has access to Coach K's daily radio address plus other highlights and interviews. Pretty good stuff.

gumbomoop
12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
From another thread:

I just watched the John Calipari coach's show. We have been lied to by the Media and our own eyes. According to the coach's show highlights the scores were as follows:

Kentucky 50 Notre Dame 0

Kentucky 55 Baylor 0

p.s. Yep, I know. I'm going to set my water heater to "boil" and take a 30 minute shower.

Contrast Calipari's - and many other coaches' weekly shows - with K's "Inside Duke Basketball." K's is always thematic [including a title, no less, for each episode], and actually includes some interesting, informative, "inside" stuff.

See above posts, msdukie's [#4] and Kedsy's [#6], for important info. Info that, not incidentally given TruBlu's recent experience, will save you some moolah on your monthly water bill.

Jarhead
12-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I've had no trouble finding Coach K's show, I just turn on my tv, go to my list of recorded shows, and there it is under Coach Cutcliffe's name. Two of the shows have been recorded so far, and I've enjoyed them very much. My only wish is that they continue the present format, but they include a wrap up of the week's games. Nothing fancy. Just give us a bit more than the local stations, and ESPN, gives us. They all give us the same analysis, and occasionally videos.

Time Warner will change it over to "Inside Basketball" before long, but I don't know what triggers that change.I keep both titles on my record list, so I don't have to worry about missing episodes. I think that each week's show is repeated on Friday night on Fox Sports, I believe.

NSDukeFan
12-10-2012, 08:14 AM
I've had no trouble finding Coach K's show, I just turn on my tv, go to my list of recorded shows, and there it is under Coach Cutcliffe's name. Two of the shows have been recorded so far, and I've enjoyed them very much. ...

I tried this and it didn't work. ;)

Jarhead
12-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I tried this and it didn't work. ;)

I think it would if you were in Halifax, North Carolina instead of Nova Scotia. Oh, yeah, and you have to set them to record. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif

gumbomoop
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Quick addendum to post #1 of this thread, in which I referred to Rasheed's analysis of Quinn's game. Maybe lots of players could have rattled off 7 or 8 things, unscripted, about a teammate's impact; Rasheed could and did. His take on Quinn, paraphrasing and loosely quoting:

Quinn's always giving his teammates feedback, commands us on the floor, floor general. Protects the ball, gets teammates involved, big vocal leader he needs to be. On D, pressing the ball, just lots of energy, lots of talk. "As much as we run through Mason, we also run through Quinn."

Although most of Rasheed's 45-second analysis involves mostly common stuff, I have to say, I was impressed with what Rasheed said about Quinn's impact, but also the confidence and off-handedness with which he rattled it off.

Neglected to mention in OP that there was also a nice moment of video showing Quinn with Nolan, his mentor. Just nice to see Nolan's smile, and their friendship.

Newton_14
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Quick addendum to post #1 of this thread, in which I referred to Rasheed's analysis of Quinn's game. Maybe lots of players could have rattled off 7 or 8 things, unscripted, about a teammate's impact; Rasheed could and did. His take on Quinn, paraphrasing and loosely quoting:

Quinn's always giving his teammates feedback, commands us on the floor, floor general. Protects the ball, gets teammates involved, big vocal leader he needs to be. On D, pressing the ball, just lots of energy, lots of talk. "As much as we run through Mason, we also run through Quinn."

Although most of Rasheed's 45-second analysis involves mostly common stuff, I have to say, I was impressed with what Rasheed said about Quinn's impact, but also the confidence and off-handedness with which he rattled it off.

Neglected to mention in OP that there was also a nice moment of video showing Quinn with Nolan, his mentor. Just nice to see Nolan's smile, and their friendship.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

This may not be the best thread to share this, so I will move it to Phase II if this comes out as a thread hijack, but

A casual Duke fan in my office stopped by my office today to discuss the great start by this year's team. He posed this question to me: What are the biggest differences in the team that failed miserably last March in that first round game, and the team that is now 9-0 against a brutal schedule, cause it is largely the same core group of guys, so really, how did K turn this around that quickly?

I answered him with the following (and not necessarily in order of importance):

1. Ryan Kelly. Not only did Kelly not play in that last lost, he is quite a bit better than he was in the last game he played last Spring
2. Mason Plumlee is much improved this year, and the new offense is geared to get him the ball more, and utilize his skill set better
3. We replaced Austin with Rasheed. Austin is the more talented scorer, but Rasheed's overall skill set is a better fit with this particular Duke team, and to be honest, Rashee might actually be a better college player (I love Austin, but I feel his skill set is a much better fit for the NBA game than College game) (Not knocking Austin, just making an honest observation)
4. Quinn Cook. The coming out of Quinn Cook, which happened in the Kentucky game, combined with the speed that he and Rasheed bring on both sides of the ball, has taking this team to another level.

There are other factors of course, mainly the fact that every single returnee has improved their game, and the team defense improving significantly. Chemistry has improved. Amile has been a positive addition, etc, but those 4 were the first reasons that popped up in my mind at the time.

To somewhat tie in to your topic, the maturity of the freshman as noted in your post about Rasheed, has been a benefit as well. Just a lot of positive changes and additions. It will be interesting to follow the episodes of the show throughout the year to see how much of these improvements are touched on.