PDA

View Full Version : Kyle

lotusland
12-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised no one started a thread about the recent front page article about Kyle. I don't follow the NBA much so I wasn't aware of how well he is doing thus far but it seems like a testament to have well 4-years at Duke prepares a player for the league. JJ, Kyle and Lance are all recent examples of 4-year Duke players who were seen as tweeners or perhaps not athletic enough to make it in the NBA yet all have succeeded well beyond expectation. I've read that Nolan is struggling this year but, if he makes it, it will be because of his great work ethic and attitude developed while at Duke. Shelden may have under-performed to some peoples expectations but he's been in the league quite a while now as contributor for several teams. I assume there are quite a few bigger and more athletic post players who have come and gone during his NBA carreer. My guess is that Mason and maybe Miles and Ryan will add to the list of NBA success stories for 4-year Duke players. Also consider how long guys like Grant, Shane, Boozer and Brand have stuck in the league as both stars and role players.

I realize this may not impress current recruits who think they are the next Kobe or Lebron but I would think it would be persuasive to many. I suppose Duke's recent recruiting success indicates that it has been sucessful but hopefully we can land a tallented, if not overly-hyped, post player as well. For instance if a player like Josh Smith who has underperformed and earned a less than stellar reputation could come to Duke and become a leader it would turn his prospects around 180 degrees. I realize that is a huge "if" and I don't know anything about his academic background but I would think it would be a compelling opportunity if he were willing to commit to getting in shape and buying in to the Duke system.

jimsumner
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm surprised no one started a thread about the recent front page article about Kyle. I don't follow the NBA much so I wasn't aware of how well he is doing thus far but it seems like a testament to have well 4-years at Duke prepares a player for the league. JJ, Kyle and Lance are all recent examples of 4-year Duke players who were seen as tweeners or perhaps not athletic enough to make it in the NBA yet all have succeeded well beyond expectation. I've read that Nolan is struggling this year but, if he makes it, it will be because of his great work ethic and attitude developed while at Duke. Shelden may have under-performed to some peoples expectations but he's been in the league quite a while now as contributor for several teams. I assume there are quite a few bigger and more athletic post players who have come and gone during his NBA carreer. My guess is that Mason and maybe Miles and Ryan will add to the list of NBA success stories for 4-year Duke players. Also consider how long guys like Grant, Shane, Boozer and Brand have stuck in the league as both stars and role players.

I realize this may not impress current recruits who think they are the next Kobe or Lebron but I would think it would be persuasive to many. I suppose Duke's recent recruiting success indicates that it has been sucessful but hopefully we can land a tallented, if not overly-hyped, post player as well. For instance if a player like Josh Smith who has underperformed and earned a less than stellar reputation could come to Duke and become a leader it would turn his prospects around 180 degrees. I realize that is a huge "if" and I don't know anything about his academic background but I would think it would be a compelling opportunity if he were willing to commit to getting in shape and buying in to the Duke system.

Some good points.

Kyle's success has been discussed in the ongoing Duke-NBA thread.

It should be noted that neither Brand nor Boozer was a four-year player. Brand was the first pick in the 1999 draft, following his sophomore year, so he likely doesn't fit your narrative.

And Grant did stay four years, But he wasn't exactly a sleeper. :)

And Shelden is playing in Europe. I hope he comes back to the NBA but for now his NBA career is in the past tense.

Chris Duhon might be the best example of what you're looking for. A second-round draft pick after four years at Duke, Duhon is in his ninth NBA season. Never a star but usually a rotation player, occasionally a starter.