PDA

View Full Version : Duke/Indiana comparison and a poll to make a mess of

TheDukeCreed
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
An article comparing Duke and Indiana. Also a poll that I guess we can have some fun with. ;)

http://hoosierstateofmind.com/2012/12/04/too-soon-breaking-down-1-indiana-vs-2-duke (http://hoosierstateofmind.com/2012/12/04/too-soon-breaking-down-1-indiana-vs-2-duke/)

DukeFanSince1990
12-06-2012, 12:08 PM
When I chose Duke on the poll it said to please choose a "valid poll answer".... HA!

Kedsy
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
An article comparing Duke and Indiana. Also a poll that I guess we can have some fun with. ;)

http://hoosierstateofmind.com/2012/12/04/too-soon-breaking-down-1-indiana-vs-2-duke (http://hoosierstateofmind.com/2012/12/04/too-soon-breaking-down-1-indiana-vs-2-duke/)

Did Greybeard write that article? The author kept calling Tyler "Thorton."

tommy
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I would call this guy's knowledge of the dynamics of Duke's team peripheral at best. He doesn't even seem to be aware of Seth's season-long leg injury, as just one example, and there are many other issues he doesn't even touch on. Pretty lame analysis, IMO.

ChillinDuke
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I would call this guy's knowledge of the dynamics of Duke's team peripheral at best. He doesn't even seem to be aware of Seth's season-long leg injury, as just one example, and there are many other issues he doesn't even touch on. Pretty lame analysis, IMO.

Agreed.

It's an Indiana site. Clearly has an Indiana bias.

There's really no point in giving a verdict. I think anyone would agree that Duke vs. Indiana on a neutral court would be the definition of a coin flip.

- Chillin

Kedsy
12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I think anyone would agree that Duke vs. Indiana on a neutral court would be the definition of a coin flip.

Well, my guess is pretty much everybody other then Duke homers would call Indiana a favorite. That doesn't mean the chance of a Duke win wouldn't be pretty darn close to 50/50. I agree with you that it would, although of course I'm a Duke homer...

JNort
12-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Agreed.

It's an Indiana site. Clearly has an Indiana bias.

There's really no point in giving a verdict. I think anyone would agree that Duke vs. Indiana on a neutral court would be the definition of a coin flip.

- Chillin

Coin flip? Maybe in our minds but most of the country think Indiana would win on a neutral court. I think we would win personally based on coaching and the ability to get hot from down town but some say that is homerism.

chrishoke
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm the Babe Ruth of Homerism - no contest, Duke wins.

basket1544
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
The Coach Comparison gives Duke an advantage that the blogger didn't want to include I would guess. Also, comparing 6 IU players to 5 Duke players was wrong. Give IU their fun. For all I care, they can stay #1 in the polls all year because polls don't win championships.

Jderf
12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
For all I care, they can stay #1 in the polls all year because polls don't win championships.

Except, you know, seven times since 1990*. A remarkably high percentage when considered in light of any team's odds against the field.

(*That the preseason #1 ended up national champion.)

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
When I chose Duke on the poll it said to please choose a "valid poll answer".... HA!

Ditto. And since I know Indiana is not a valid answer, I'm not even trying it. :D

Lar77
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
For years, a constant theme of a Duke season is how thin we are and weak in our bench experience. Some years, it has some validity, but I don't see it this year. Yes our starters are taking 150+ minutes of the available 200, but I haven't seen any indication yet that anyone is being overplayed or that we are lacking in intensity or pacing. I think this is our best bench in a while, especially if Marshall gets healthy and is as advertised. But critics will still pick at us, because that's just the way it is.

Dev11
12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
For all I care, they can stay #1 in the polls all year because polls don't win championships.

Then why do we hang a banner in Cameron when we finish the season ranked #1 in the AP? Does that bother anybody else?

Jderf
12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Then why do we hang a banner in Cameron when we finish the season ranked #1 in the AP? Does that bother anybody else?

Meh. It's not the most exciting banner in the world, but it definitely doesn't "bother" me. Finishing #1 in the AP is an accomplishment to be sure, and while it may not be on par with an ACC or National Championship, I think it is at least somewhat banner-worthy. Perhaps it is closer in value to winning the ACC regular season.

English
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Meh. It's not the most exciting banner in the world, but it definitely doesn't "bother" me. Finishing #1 in the AP is an accomplishment to be sure, and while it may not be on par with an ACC or National Championship, I think it is at least somewhat banner-worthy. Perhaps it is closer in value to winning the ACC regular season.

Has there been an instance where Duke (or any ACC team, really) finished #1 in the APO poll, but failed to "win" the ACC regular season? I imagine it's possible, but would be tough.

I don't have a big complaint with hanging a #1 banner, although that would likely change if things started getting really cluttered up in the rafters in the future. I can't stand the rafters of the Verizon Center with its clutter, although that's as much a product of having banners and retired jerseys for everything from NHL to WNBA. Certainly DC hasn't had much to hang up there in recent years. Maybe they could commemorate escaping JaVale McGee and his mother up there?

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Not me. I think that banner is well deserved. It is significant to the fact that we had a solid season and ended it on top. Some incredible teams have still not won the championship, that does not mean they weren't the best of the year, it means they weren't the best for one night. An example might be our '91 championship. UNLV had one loss that entire year, to us (wooohoooo!!!). We had 7 losses. If UNLV has a banner hanging up showing they were #1 going into the tournament, it's their well deserved right to display it.

sagegrouse
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Probably 'cuz we don't have any Helms Foundations championships to highlight.

sage

TruBlu
12-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Doesn't bother me. Can you imagine how incredibly loud Cameron would be if we didn't have all those banners in the rafters acting as sound buffers?

Wait, I think I just stumbled onto why the Dean Dome sounds like a funeral parlor . . . it's the Helms banner deadening all the noise!