PDA

View Full Version : Assists

mus074
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Taking the front page story into the 21st century world of tempo-free statistics, we can refer as always to Ken Pomeroy's accounting of such things. Duke's defense is allowing assists on only 33.9% of opponent's made baskets. How good is that? First of all 347 D-1 teams. Last year's team allowed 44.0% which ranked 13th. 2010-11 allowed 48.9% which ranked 53rd. The Title team of 2009-10 allowed 48.7% which ranked 56th.

We are only eight games in, so we should limit drawing full season conclusions for this one stat. However, the 33.9% does show defensive effort and force of will. Speaking personally, that's one key ingredient which has made Duke's teams so enjoyable to watch over the years. Glad to see it's back.

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Taking the front page story into the 21st century world of tempo-free statistics, we can refer as always to Ken Pomeroy's accounting of such things. Duke's defense is allowing assists on only 33.9% of opponent's made baskets. How good is that? First of all 347 D-1 teams. Last year's team allowed 44.0% which ranked 13th. 2010-11 allowed 48.9% which ranked 53rd. The Title team of 2009-10 allowed 48.7% which ranked 56th.

We are only eight games in, so we should limit drawing full season conclusions for this one stat. However, the 33.9% does show defensive effort and force of will. Speaking personally, that's one key ingredient which has made Duke's teams so enjoyable to watch over the years. Glad to see it's back.

This is neither here nor there, but I'm a big fan of your "saucy Piglet" avatar.

PumpkinFunk
12-06-2012, 11:01 AM

I'm not entirely sure that defensive assist rate is a hugely instructive or predictive statistic, because it depends so much on your opponent's style of play. I think it helps show, at least somewhat, that you don't let opponents get a lot of wide-open shots off of pass and fast breaks, but beyond that? I don't know. I think it's a style-over-substance statistic that Pomeroy uses in determining defensive fingerprint. Defensive efficiency, defensive effective field goal percentage, and even defensive turnover percentage are better stats. And we're #1 in defensive eFG%, which is astounding.

Johnboy
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
This is neither here nor there, but I'm a big fan of your "saucy Piglet" avatar.