PDA

View Full Version : Austin's a Pelican

pfrduke
12-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Or will be starting next season (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html). Nothing strikes fear into the heart of an opponent like a bird with a giant throat (lower beak? I'm not really good with pelican anatomy/physiology).

Farlan
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Best thing about this is Charlotte getting the Hornets name back!

dolver
12-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Krewe and Brass are both FAR superior names.

Native
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Agree. I'm about as frightened of a Pelican as I am of a Tar Heel.

moonpie23
12-05-2012, 10:08 AM
absolutely the WORST name for a pro team.......ever.......

wonder what the players had to say about it

jimsumner
12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
When Cornwallis occupied Charlotte, he tweeted (or maybe it was a letter) back home that Charlotte was a "hornet's nest of rebellion."

So, it's not just a random nickname. Charlotte has a historic claim on the name and in fact used it for several minor league teams prior to the NBA.

I just wish the NBA would be consistent. Give "Lakers" back to the Land of 10,000 lakes. Let New Orleans, the birthplace of Jazz, reclaim that nickname. Give Grizzlies back to someplace that actually has grizzlies and let Memphis become the Blues.

theAlaskanBear
12-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Personally, I think just about any other name would be better -- Brass would have been what I picked, if I changed it at all. The proposed new colors (picked by the owners wife) are navy blue, red, and gold.

What about the New Orleans "Leveeathans"? Ok, maybe that was in bad taste.

On a more serious note: Louisiana Bayou? New Orleans Creoles?

timmy c
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Still can't call the former Bullets team, the Wiz*!&%.

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Or will be starting next season (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html). Nothing strikes fear into the heart of an opponent like a bird with a giant throat (lower beak? I'm not really good with pelican anatomy/physiology).

Don't tell Rick Pitino that ;)

gls6

Yeah I agree. Brass is a really good name. Pelicans is terrible. It's almost as bad as Bobcats.

juise
Don't forget Lance! He'll be a Pelican, too!

OldPhiKap
12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Are they ill-tempered pelicans?

rsvman
12-05-2012, 10:54 AM

with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads?

jimsumner
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Would that make them angry birds?

Maybe we could blend. The Avenging Pelicans? The Rampaging Pelicans? The Maurading Pelicans?

So many possibilities.

-bdbd
12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
When Cornwallis occupied Charlotte, he tweeted (or maybe it was a letter) back home that Charlotte was a "hornet's nest of rebellion."

So, it's not just a random nickname. Charlotte has a historic claim on the name and in fact used it for several minor league teams prior to the NBA.

I just wish the NBA would be consistent. Give "Lakers" back to the Land of 10,000 lakes. Let New Orleans, the birthplace of Jazz, reclaim that nickname. Give Grizzlies back to someplace that actually has grizzlies and let Memphis become the Blues.

And the Sacramento KIngs have to give back that nickname to Kansas City!
At least the NFL wouldn't let the Browns owner take that nickname with him to Baltimore (and "Ravens" does have some local flavor - given homeboy Edgar Allen Poe and all...)

I was thinking "Hurricanes" for New Orleans. It would certainly be something that is feared, if not entirely PC given their recent history there.

Pellicans?? Yech!!!! :eek:
:eek:

jimsumner
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
And the Sacramento KIngs have to give back that nickname to Kansas City!
At least the NFL wouldn't let the Browns owner take that nickname with him to Baltimore (and "Ravens" does have some local flavor - given homeboy Edgar Allen Poe and all...)

I was thinking "Hurricanes" for New Orleans. It would certainly be something that is feared, if not entirely PC given their recent history there.

Pellicans?? Yech!!!! :eek:
:eek:

Naming a team after a natural disaster seems weird, almost perverse.

Then again, I live less than five miles from the Hurricanes, an NHL team, at least in the years when the NHL graces us with a season.

We also have an Avalanche. A Chicago Fire. Is there a London Plague? The Seattle Volcanoes? The Asteroid Strikes?

Surprised no one has come up with the Fiscal Cliffs.

sagegrouse
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
The real issue with a name, of course, is how the headline writers use it in a shortened form. Pelicans has some interesting forms:

Pels -- not too bad.

'Cans -- a real hoot.

'Lics -- the best of the bunch.

I might think hard about choosing Pelicans.

sagegrouse

tommy
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Yes. The Lakers and the Jazz should absolutely switch names with each other. Both would make much more sense.

jimsumner
12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes. The Lakers and the Jazz should absolutely switch names with each other. Both would make much more sense.

Well, the Lakers originated as the Minneapolis Lakers, which made sense, because Minneapolis and Minnesota are festooned with lakes. L.A? Not so much.

The New Orleans Jazz made sense because New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz (although KC disputes parts of that narrative). Salt Lake City is not generally in the discussion for America's greatest jazz cities.

So, give Jazz back to New Orleans. Return Lakers to Minnesota. Utah probably has some grizzlies somewhere in the vicinity, so take that from Memphis and let Memphis become the Blues or some such.

That leaves L.A. without a nickname. What shall we do? I know, I know. How about the Pelicans?

Indoor66
12-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Personally, I think just about any other name would be better -- Brass would have been what I picked, if I changed it at all. The proposed new colors (picked by the owners wife) are navy blue, red, and gold.

What about the New Orleans "Leveeathans"? Ok, maybe that was in bad taste.

On a more serious note: Louisiana Bayou? New Orleans Creoles?

How about The Canal Street Pumps?

OldPhiKap
12-05-2012, 12:44 PM
How about The Canal Street Pumps?

Bourbon Street Brawlers?

Battlin' Beignets?

Cajun Crawdads?

Tabasco Terrors of Treme?

A Streecar Named "Rebound"?

wilson
12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I like the new name. "New Orleans Hornets" never rolled off the tongue to me, and as mentioned up-thread, it's a legitimate nod to the history of the Charlotte area,* not to mention a fun anecdotal teaching point for my 8th graders every fall.
I've always liked quirky sports nicknames, and I think there's potential for some sweet logo action...the Myrtle Beach Pelicans minor league baseball team has demonstrated this (http://mlblogspelicans.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/half-turn20paulie.jpg?w=400&h=349). Also, similarly to the Hornets nickname for Charlotte, "Pelicans" has local significance in this context...Louisiana is the Pelican State (http://www.flagsbay.com/flag/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/louisiana-pelican-flag.png).

*Another perhaps little-known fact: The "Gamecocks" of South Carolina Gamecocks is not just an excuse to sell double entendre-emblazoned paraphernalia. It's a reference to Thomas Sumter, Revolutionary brigadier general in the South Carolina militia, who responded fiercely when British soldiers burned his house down.

Edouble
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Well, the Lakers originated as the Minneapolis Lakers, which made sense, because Minneapolis and Minnesota are festooned with lakes. L.A? Not so much.

The New Orleans Jazz made sense because New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz (although KC disputes parts of that narrative). Salt Lake City is not generally in the discussion for America's greatest jazz cities.

So, give Jazz back to New Orleans. Return Lakers to Minnesota. Utah probably has some grizzlies somewhere in the vicinity, so take that from Memphis and let Memphis become the Blues or some such.

That leaves L.A. without a nickname. What shall we do? I know, I know. How about the Pelicans?

For a few years, I have advocated (to any of my friends that would listen) for a 3 way name switch.

New Orleans becomes the Jazz again.

Charlotte becomes the Hornets again.

Utah becomes the Bobcats. I assume there are lots of Bobcats, and other big primal cats up in those Salt Lake mountains.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
For a few years, I have advocated (to any of my friends that would listen) for a 3 way name switch.

New Orleans becomes the Jazz again.

Charlotte becomes the Hornets again.

Utah becomes the Bobcats. I assume there are lots of Bobcats, and other big primal cats up in those Salt Lake mountains.

"What's a 'ute'?"

gam7
12-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Tony Montana loves the new mascot. That's good enough for me.

(Note: there is one four-letter word in this clip.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8nCNLylEM

Reilly
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
... Brass would have been what I picked ...

... then they would be Brass Ballers ...

Indoor66
12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Not many mountains at the Salt Lake, but the Wasatch are not too far east. :cool:

Edouble
12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Not many mountains at the Salt Lake, but the Wasatch are not too far east. :cool:

I just remember that the Winter Olympics were there and they had skiing of some sort. But I am not too familiar with the area.

FerryFor50
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM

No, I think "Raptors" was a pretty bad team name...

MCFinARL
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Agree. I'm about as frightened of a Pelican as I am of a Tar Heel.

Obviously you are not a fish.

The Freeways?

Indoor66
12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Obviously you are not a fish.

The Freeways?

It is so obvious - The Smog.

-bdbd
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
It is so obvious - The Smog.

Don't most cities try to focus on the one, true aspect of that city which makes it great?

For LA, I think there's an ever MORE obvious answer: The Silicone(s)!

House G
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Still can't call the former Bullets team, the Wiz*!&%.

Let New Orleans resurrect the Bullets nickname--oh, I forgot, not PC.

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
"What's a 'ute'?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_people

El_Diablo
12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
"What's a 'ute'?"

Oh, excuse me, Your Honor. Two youths.

lotusland
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Memphis should be The Kings - thank you, thank you very much ...er nevermind.

BD80
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, the Lakers originated as the Minneapolis Lakers, which made sense, ... Return Lakers to Minnesota. ...

Kobe would probably go along with it. Literally. He would demand to be a part of the deal.

wilson
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Memphis should be The Kings - thank you, thank you very much ...er nevermind.I like where you're going...one-piece uniforms in white satin, sequined lettering and numbers, blue suede team shoes.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I like where you're going...one-piece uniforms in white satin, sequined lettering and numbers, blue suede team shoes.

"We're caught in a trap. . . ."

wilson
12-05-2012, 11:01 PM
"We're caught in a trap. . . ."I can't walk out, because then I'd be whistled for traveling.

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 11:20 PM
C'mon, y'all. Most NBA teams have stupid names. Let's get used to it.

gep
12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
For LA... what about "the Actors"....:o

Jim3k
12-06-2012, 01:44 AM

Yeah, but... A Laker is also the name for a Great Lakes vessel--such as ore boats and grain boats, which ply the lakes from Duluth, MINNESOTA to places like Detroit and Cleveland and having access to Pittsburgh. They were known as Lake Freighters.

Lakers seems like an industrial name, like the Ft. Wayne Pistons or the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers. Many times the owners of sports franchises were industrialists who wanted to sponsor a team for advertising purposes. In fact, in the late 1940s and for about 10-12 years, there was a National Industrial Basketball League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Industrial_Basketball_League) sponsored in large part by industrialists for advertising purposes.

In fact, though, the Minneapolis Lakers were originally the Detroit Gems and were bought by businessmen Ben Berger and Morris Chalfen who re-named the team. Neither of them qualifies as an industrialist nor were they especially known as Great Lakes enthusiasts. Which means...that the franchise most likely got named just as jimsumner has postulated, as Minnesota is also known as the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes.

tommy
12-06-2012, 01:52 AM
I think Austin has more important things to worry about right now than the team's name, ridiculous as "Pelicans" may be, or the color of its uniforms. He lost his starting job to Roger Mason, Jr. He hasn't made a shot in his last two games, going a combined 0 for 10, and is 3 of his last 23 overall from the field, which has dragged his shooting percentage for the season down to 29%. And the team has lost 10 of its last 12.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
"What's a 'ute'?"

More importantly (not) - what the hell's a Wahoo? OK, I know, it's a fish. I think. :rolleyes:

I like the New Orleans Brass. And Charlotte was far more successful as the Hornets than as the Bobcats. I remember even rooting for them back then.

BD80
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
More importantly (not) - what the hell's a Wahoo? ...

The sound a Blue Devil makes when an Austin Rivers 3-pointer beats the tar heels at the buzzer?

jimsumner
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
More importantly (not) - what the hell's a Wahoo? OK, I know, it's a fish. I think. :rolleyes:

I like the New Orleans Brass. And Charlotte was far more successful as the Hornets than as the Bobcats. I remember even rooting for them back then.

If we're going there, what's a Hokie? What's a Hoya? Why is the Tar Heels mascot a ram? Carolina used to be the White Phantoms. Seriously. State used to be the Red Terrors. Elon used to be the Fighting Christians. Their games against the Demon Deacons had serious theological implications regarding the nature of good versus evil.

My but we're bored today.

sagegrouse
12-06-2012, 01:04 PM
If we're going there, what's a Hokie? What's a Hoya? Why is the Tar Heels mascot a ram? Carolina used to be the White Phantoms. Seriously. State used to be the Red Terrors. Elon used to be the Fighting Christians. Their games against the Demon Deacons had serious theological implications regarding the nature of good versus evil.

My but we're bored today.

Trinity College was "the Methodists," and only the change to Duke brought about the Blue Devils name. How would you like to have been William Preston Few explaining to the presiding bishops in North Carolina (who appointed members of the Trinity and Duke boards) that the name "Methodists" was being cashiered because the students wanted to be "Devils?"

sagegrouse

Reilly
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
More importantly (not) - what the hell's a Wahoo? OK, I know, it's a fish. ...

A fish, a burning bush, a city in Nebraska ... (clicking through gives the origin of the sports nickname):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo_(disambiguation)

hurleyfor3
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I still think of Charlotte's nba team as the Hornets. This is because I lived in Charlotte when the Hornets started playing.

Re nickname swaps: LA with Chicago. Chicago has a lake, and LA has a lot of bull. Also, if anyone remembers the HBO series "First and Ten", I think the team name was either the LA Bulls, or the California Bulls located in the LA basin. Wrong sport, but at least it's precedent.

hurleyfor3
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Oh, and if they become the Charlotte Hornets they absolutely MUST go back to the 1988 Alexander Julian teal-and-purple unis.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh, and if they become the Charlotte Hornets they absolutely MUST go back to the 1988 Alexander Julian teal-and-purple unis.

bleeech

MCFinARL
12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
A fish, a burning bush, a city in Nebraska ... (clicking through gives the origin of the sports nickname):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo_(disambiguation)

The key is at the end of the entry--the fish who can drink twice its body weight.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2012, 06:46 AM
The key is at the end of the entry--the fish who can drink twice its body weight.

A fish named lush?

Indoor66
12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Sounds like the perfect tailgater.

Newton_14
12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Meh, this one is so simple to me. New Orleans Gators....

Hopefully Charlotte will change back to the Hornets.

sagegrouse
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Meh, this one is so simple to me. New Orleans Gators....

Hopefully Charlotte will change back to the Hornets.

I am hoping the Hornets return to the Queen City. As an old-timer, I remember the South Atlantic (Sally) League when I first became interested in baseball. Some unique names --

Charlotte Hornets
Charleston Rebels
Greenville Spinners
Macon Peaches

And some derivatives--
Columbia Reds
Columbus Cardinals
Augusta Tigers
Savannah Indians

But truthfully, the membership changed every year, as cities dropped out. The most interesting arrival was the Jacksonville Braves, featuring a young Henry Aaron, who may have been the first African American in the Sally League.

sagegrouse
'No, I never met Crash Davis'

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
So now that it's official that N.O will be known as The Pelicans next year, the next question must be asked:

Are you a PeliCAN or a PeliCAN'T?

brevity
01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
So now that it's official that N.O will be known as The Pelicans next year, the next question must be asked:

Are you a PeliCAN or a PeliCAN'T?

Nice. Here in New Orleans, when both pro teams are bad, they'll be nicknamed the AINTS and the CANTS.

I'm all for a name change, because the Hornets still confuse me. Pelicans is fine, I guess, but more important is the color scheme of the uniforms/logo. Gold and green would work; it's closer to Mardi Gras colors and won't be confused with LSU.

-bdbd
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
I was thinking that New Orleans could be named "The Hurricanes," as that great DRINK was invented there.... :rolleyes:

1 24 90
01-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I was thinking that New Orleans could be named "The Hurricanes," as that great DRINK was invented there.... :rolleyes:

I could use one of those to help me sleep after tonight's hurricane in Coral Gables.

throatybeard
01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Pelicans is a weak mascot. I'm sorry.

wilson
01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Pelicans is a weak mascot. I'm sorry.So is Cardinals.

Durham Thunder
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Pelicans.....they're actually cold-blooded killers sometimes (youtubers beware). However, the NBA is a vicious circle of absolutely moronic GM's. If Utah wasn't totally stupid and hogging the name Jazz (in a jazzless state), then New Orleans would have the perfect name!

luvdahops
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Pelicans.....they're actually cold-blooded killers sometimes (youtubers beware). However, the NBA is a vicious circle of absolutely moronic GM's. If Utah wasn't totally stupid and hogging the name Jazz (in a jazzless state), then New Orleans would have the perfect name!

agree totally

But I don't think they did too bad with the new logo....

http://nba.si.com/2013/01/24/new-orleans-pelicans-logo-hornets/?sct=uk_t2_a3

Kdogg
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Or if New Orleans was able to support an NBA team the first time around the Jazz would still be there. The Jazz are Utah's.

1999ballboy
01-25-2013, 02:42 AM
I actually don't think Pelicans is that bad of a name. There are only so many "tough" animals to go around. I mean, no one complains about the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is even more ridiculous when you think about it. But yes, Brass would have been a good name too.

The only nickname that still drives me crazy is the Utah Jazz. Why didn't they change their nickname decades ago? They could even keep it as a music genre if they wanted, like the Utah Tabernacle Choirs, or the Utah Osmonds.

Durham Thunder
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I actually don't think Pelicans is that bad of a name. There are only so many "tough" animals to go around. I mean, no one complains about the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is even more ridiculous when you think about it. But yes, Brass would have been a good name too.

The only nickname that still drives me crazy is the Utah Jazz. Why didn't they change their nickname decades ago? They could even keep it as a music genre if they wanted, like the Utah Tabernacle Choirs, or the Utah Osmonds.

Utah Osmonds is the joke of the day- touche.

I'd like to point out that NOLA moved in 1979- the NBA was a far cry from the modern NBA, and it was tough for the non-Boston types to sustain.

I heard the name "Crewe" being thrown around, and I thought that would've been a pretty boss fit for New Orleans. Back to Utah- as if Jazz wasn't stupid enough, did they have to make their logo a mountain????? Mountains in Utah? Yes. But mountains with Jazz? Where's the connection with that?!

AsiaMinor
01-25-2013, 10:44 AM
his beak holds more than his Beli-can.

I'd go with whomever said, "Angry Birds" and just call them that.
Pelicans are vicious evil creatures. In Florida they chase tourists
who feed them then stop - so wait - maybe I'm on the Pelican's
side about THAT...............

Matches
01-25-2013, 12:17 PM

I agree. It's unique. "Yankees", "Packers", "Red Sox", "Lakers" - not everything has to be some fierce predator. (And has been pointed out, pelicans are tougher than their rep.)

No one's intimidated by a mascot. Teams should just pick something catchy.

pamtar
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

When I lived in Orem I used to kid my Mormon friends about changing BYU from the Cougars to the Stormin' Mormons. One club hockey team supposedly went by that moniker I came to find out.

I really like Pelicans as a team mascot. I love the actual bird - especially white pelicans. I pretty much stop what I'm doing anytime I'm lucky enough to see one up here in ENC. Those logos are hideous though. You think they could have picked better colors than red, blue, and gold. Somebody needs to tell their branding agent that retro late 90's is sports marketing is dead. It reminds me of the Golden State's attempt to 'modernize' their brand a couple years back that failed miserably. A French blue, white, and yellow color scheme would have orders backed up from day one. Really though, I just hope the Bobcats get the Hornets name back. Oh, and sorry for the mini rant.