PDA

View Full Version : Belk Bowl: Cincinnati 48, Duke 34

OZZIE4DUKE
12-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The players are putting out the word. Josh Snead put this up on Facebook and I'll take this as "official"!

Joshua Cortez Snead (http://www.facebook.com/joshua.c.snead)

Dec 27... Charlotte... #DukeGang vs Cincinnati #BelkBowl...

Kenny Anunike too!

Kenny Anunike (http://www.facebook.com/kenny.anunike)
Duke boys headed to Charlotte- Belk Bowl Dec. 27th @ 6:30pm on ESPN

http://www.sbnation.com/bowl-games-2012-2013/2012/12/2/3696180/belk-bowl-2012-cincinnati-duke

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

willywoody
12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm already putting plans for attendance in motion. Go Duke!

Son of Jarhead
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Being in Charlotte is great for us, should be able to get some fans there. Go Duke!!!!

Lunchab1es
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm starting the process of getting a big tailgating reunion together!

Go Duke!

DevilWearsPrada
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm starting the process of getting a big tailgating reunion together!

Go Duke!

I am a Professional Bartender !!!! I will be more than happy to mix Cocktails, Martinis, Margaritas, and open bottles of Prosecco and Champagne!!! And open Beer Bottles, and open Wine Bottles!!!!

LETS GO DUKE!!!!!

-bdbd
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Looking forward to it....

Lunchgate in Charlotte on the 27th!

??????????

:D :D :D

OldPhiKap
12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I am a Professional Bartender !!!! I will be more than happy to mix Cocktails, Martinis, Margaritas, and open bottles of Prosecco and Champagne!!! And open Beer Bottles, and open Wine Bottles!!!!

LETS GO DUKE!!!!!

I'm a professional bar patron. This could work out well for all concerned.

Acymetric
12-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Looking at the tickets on GoDuke, does anyone have any information about where the three options (Lower Level - $85, Lower Level $75, and Upper Level $45) are located in the stadium? Mostly trying to determine the difference between the 85/75 lower level options and whether one of the choices is more likely to be located in an endzone. There is a section on the page that talks about a seating chart but none is displayed at least on my computer.

kingboozer
12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Just got two tickets for me and the wife, upper deck section 542, 50 yard line view isle seats. No bad seat in BOFA Stadium and excited to see us beat the Cats!

hudlow
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Undoubtedly Belks will have a sale to commemorate this occasion...

davidson
12-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Looking at the tickets on GoDuke, does anyone have any information about where the three options (Lower Level - $85, Lower Level $75, and Upper Level $45) are located in the stadium? Mostly trying to determine the difference between the 85/75 lower level options and whether one of the choices is more likely to be located in an endzone. There is a section on the page that talks about a seating chart but none is displayed at least on my computer.

I just picked up tickets on Ticketmaster. They have a "select your seat" feature (which doesn't worke on my iPad, but did work on my laptop) where you can pick where you want to sit. Some sections aren't available - probably set aside for each team - but plenty of good seats available and I got low row, on the aisle, 50 yard line. godlike.com probably has a good allotment, but ticketbastard worked for me.

killerleft
12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I just picked up tickets on Ticketmaster. They have a "select your seat" feature (which doesn't worke on my iPad, but did work on my laptop) where you can pick where you want to sit. Some sections aren't available - probably set aside for each team - but plenty of good seats available and I got low row, on the aisle, 50 yard line. godlike.com probably has a good allotment, but ticketbastard worked for me.

No harm, and more fans the merrier! I think it helps Duke if you order your tickets through the school, though. Something about Duke selling their allotment of tickets so they don't have to buy up any to make up the shortfall. Also, it will help us look good when we're in the running for better bowls in the future.

throatybeard
12-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Also, it will help us look good when we're in the running for better bowls in the future.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

BigWayne
12-03-2012, 12:40 AM
If you look at the pick your seat map on ticketmaster, you can tell which sections are set aside for the schools to sell because they are completely unavailable. Besides helping Duke out by buying through them, you are guaranteed to be amongst Duke fans if you buy that way.

TruBlu
12-03-2012, 07:11 AM

LETS GO DUKE!!!!!

I'm predicting your popularity just took off like a Chanpagne cork!

jjasper0729
12-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll be there with my son. Supposedly the DUAA will have some kind of pregame thing going on. Anyone know BoA stadium and where to do some tailgating? I'll bring the proper barbecue ;)

nocilla
12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Any thoughts on the injury front? This game will be a full month from our last. Lots of injuries can heal up in that time. The last injury report I saw was for the GT game. I'm sure there was one for the Miami game but I missed it. Anyway, is it possible that we see guys like Kelby Brown, Jared Boyd, Brandon Braxton, and Braxton Deaver? This could potentially be the healthiest our team has been all year. Of course there can still be injuries in practice leading up to the game. And Cincinnati should be healthy as well, but I don't know their injury concerns.

How nice would it be to see Kelby Brown on the field playing alongside his brother?

DukeHLM'13
12-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I'll be there with my son. Supposedly the DUAA will have some kind of pregame thing going on. Anyone know BoA stadium and where to do some tailgating? I'll bring the proper barbecue ;)

Most of the better tailgating spots are to the East and South of the stadium, pretty much the directions that aren't towards downtown.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
How nice would it be to see Kelby Brown on the field playing alongside his brother?

Not very, if it kills his redshirt year and we lose him as a 5th year senior. Anyone know what the redshirt rules are concerning bowl games? Does the fact that we play on 12/27 instead of in January 1 (or after) make a difference?

I can wait until next fall to see the Browns play together as starting linebackers! :cool:

nocilla
12-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Not very, if it kills his redshirt year and we lose him as a 5th year senior. Anyone know what the redshirt rules are concerning bowl games? Does the fact that we play on 12/27 instead of in January 1 (or after) make a difference?

I can wait until next fall to see the Browns play together as starting linebackers! :cool:

Good point. I wasn't thinking about redshirt possibilities because he was never listed in the 'out for season' category. He did play as a true freshman last year didn't he?

They should be fun to watch together next year though!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Good point. I wasn't thinking about redshirt possibilities because he was never listed in the 'out for season' category. He did play as a true freshman last year didn't he?

They should be fun to watch together next year though!

Yes, Kelby played as a freshman and sophomore. Kylar sat out last year (2011 season) as a true freshman.

TKG
12-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Yes, but will the Charlotte Observer even cover the game?

monarch34
12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
As tempting as it may be to buy straight from ticketmaster or stubhub, it is really, really important for Duke and its future bowl opportunities to buy our tickets from Duke instead of the marketplace. Duke has to sell its full allotment (probably in the 7,500 to 10,000 range) or else that will be used against us in the future by bowls that may elect to bypass us in favor of teams with larger traveling parties.

blazindw
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
As tempting as it may be to buy straight from ticketmaster or stubhub, it is really, really important for Duke and its future bowl opportunities to buy our tickets from Duke instead of the marketplace. Duke has to sell its full allotment (probably in the 7,500 to 10,000 range) or else that will be used against us in the future by bowls that may elect to bypass us in favor of teams with larger traveling parties.

I cannot stress this enough. GoDuke.com should be the first place you go to buy your tickets. Until that block is sold out, buy from there!

summerwind03
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I cannot stress this enough. GoDuke.com should be the first place you go to buy your tickets. Until that block is sold out, buy from there!

Plus, it is so fun to be surrounded by Duke fans!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Very good seats are available through goduke.com or calling the ticket office. This is early in the sale of tickets. Patronize the Duke ticket office. Why would you go elsewhere?:cool:

Buying through the Duke ticket office will mean that you have access to information about whatever will be planned by Duke. You won't get that through outside vendors.

hudlow
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM

They'll probably do a story about Ol' Roy's childhood pets or something...

Lar77
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Belk's will run an ad sometime between now and the 27th, so the CO will count that as coverage. Besides, aren't we all interested in Ol Roys pets? Carolina fans will have nothing better to talk about, except whether this year's NIT will constitute a 7th national championship.

Danke Shane
12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

One of my favorite Simpsons quotes ever...

gls6
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I reserved my tickets early through goduke.com for the bowl, and I hope that because I did so that I will have the chance to get premium seats. I see many seats for face-value+fee at Ticketmaster.com in the best sections. I am really worried now that I will be forced to buy tickets in the upper level or end zone because of my iron duke priority and miss out on the best seats when I could have just bought them online.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I reserved my tickets early through goduke.com for the bowl, and I hope that because I did so that I will have the chance to get premium seats. I see many seats for face-value+fee at Ticketmaster.com in the best sections. I am really worried now that I will be forced to buy tickets in the upper level or end zone because of my iron duke priority and miss out on the best seats when I could have just bought them online.
If you are concerned, call the ticket office and talk with them. (If you are a season ticket holder for football, you have an account executive.) I called. It was quite helpful.

blazindw
12-03-2012, 01:35 PM
If you are concerned, call the ticket office and talk with them. (If you are a season ticket holder for football, you have an account executive.) I called. It was quite helpful.

Definitely this. They're always willing to work with you and will make things happen whenever they can.

gls6
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM

I just got an e-mail both from the ID office and my account executive that I can buy great seats through them, so I am not worried any more! I guess I just need to decide if I want club-level or lower premium

Dev11
12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Definitely this. They're always willing to work with you and will make things happen whenever they can.

I pre-ordered tickets before we got the selection, and just got an email from the Iron Dukes (not an official member I don't think) saying that they will charge my card tomorrow $100 for each ticket. If I want to change my location and price (there are 4 tiers, lowest at $45), I can call the office before tomorrow afternoon to do so. Seems like the ticket office is not intent on screwing this one up.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Or call the Duke Ticket Office at 877-375-3853 :cool:

MattC09
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I pre-ordered tickets before we got the selection, and just got an email from the Iron Dukes (not an official member I don't think) saying that they will charge my card tomorrow $100 for each ticket. If I want to change my location and price (there are 4 tiers, lowest at $45), I can call the office before tomorrow afternoon to do so. Seems like the ticket office is not intent on screwing this one up.

I got the same level seats but don't know if I want club seats. If they're what I think they are (inside, tables, bar, food, etc), I think I would rather have lower premium tickets. Does anyone have any idea if that's the case? I don't mind the cost since there are no travel expenses. I'm just not sure I'd be the right, ahem, demographic for club seats at the age of 26. No offense. :D

MattC09
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I got the same level seats but don't know if I want club seats. If they're what I think they are (inside, tables, bar, food, etc), I think I would rather have lower premium tickets. Does anyone have any idea if that's the case? I don't mind the cost since there are no travel expenses. I'm just not sure I'd be the right, ahem, demographic for club seats at the age of 26. No offense. :D

Got clarification from my account executive, who has answered a ton of questions for me:

Club level is Sections 319-323. They are not inside, but will be padded seats with access to a restaurant.

The $75 tickets are in the end zone, the $85 tickets are sections 114-117 and the $45 tickets are the upper level seats (516-524).

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/stadium-diagram.html

Hope this helps if anyone aside from me had this question.

blazindw
12-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Got the same email as well as an email from my account rep. Makes things extra easy to take care of!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Got clarification from my account executive, who has answered a ton of questions for me:

Club level is Sections 319-323. They are not inside, but will be padded seats with access to a restaurant.

The $75 tickets are in the end zone, the $85 tickets are sections 114-117 and the $45 tickets are the upper level seats (516-524).

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/stadium-diagram.html

Hope this helps if anyone aside from me had this question.

I called and got the same info. Club lever is actually 2 areas, 319 - 323 plus sections 308 - 312. The $100 padded seats are "upper" lower bowl and the $85 unpadded seats are "lower" lower bowl. Personally, it's well worth the $15 to get a padded seat that is higher up for better visibility. We're sideline corner on the visitor's side, and Duke is the visitor in this game. Guess we'll see our white uni's!

sporthenry
12-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Duke opens as 11 point dogs. Not having seen Cincy, I'm not sure what to expect but looking at their schedule, they really haven't been blown out in any game (granted only 1 of their games was against a team ranked in the last poll). Going to be a tough game to win.

uh_no
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Duke opens as 11 point dogs. Not having seen Cincy, I'm not sure what to expect but looking at their schedule, they really haven't been blown out in any game (granted only 1 of their games was against a team ranked in the last poll). Going to be a tough game to win.

they lost to a largely mediocre uconn team a couple weeks ago

i'm calling a win.

ns7
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Their offense is slightly worse than UNC's offense. They will probably score ~30-35 against us, so the offense will need to be on. However, their defense is slightly worse than FSU or Virginia Tech's defense, but better than every other team we've played.

I do have faith that Cutcliffe can coach Duke up on offense to score.

One more point on going to a bowl. The extra month of practice is critical for next season. A lot of coaching staffs use the opportunity to prepare the younger players for the following season, install new offenses/defenses, etc. It's great that Duke finally gets the chance to do this and I hope it becomes a regular occurrence.

-bdbd
12-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Their offense is slightly worse than UNC's offense. They will probably score ~30-35 against us, so the offense will need to be on. However, their defense is slightly worse than FSU or Virginia Tech's defense, but better than every other team we've played.

I do have faith that Cutcliffe can coach Duke up on offense to score.

One more point on going to a bowl. The extra month of practice is critical for next season. A lot of coaching staffs use the opportunity to prepare the younger players for the following season, install new offenses/defenses, etc. It's great that Duke finally gets the chance to do this and I hope it becomes a regular occurrence.

Good point ns. I've been thinking about that. It is a,most as important as gping to the bowl itself. Duke will have a huge leg up going into next season with extra practices that 6 of the other 11 ACC teams will not get. I have seen Coach Cut quoted on this subject many times, pointing out the disadvantage/hole it has been putting us in year and and year out. Finally WE get the edge going into next year, a year when the schedule appears to break more favorably as well. So, maybe a roll coming??? :confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

I have also seen positive reviews of their Defense, and comments that this is a team that is good at not beating itself. Read WELL COACHED (which is why their coach is often the subject of rumors for vacancies). It'll be their strong defense against our strong offense. And so-so squads on the other match-up. If we can make some stops, then who knows.... I have faith that Coach will make good use of the extra practice time and have them prepared! Imagine the impact if Duke can win this one...

Dev11
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Good point ns. I've been thinking about that. It is a,most as important as gping to the bowl itself. Duke will have a huge leg up going into next season with extra practices that 6 of the other 11 ACC teams will not get. I have seen Coach Cut quoted on this subject many times, pointing out the disadvantage/hole it has been putting us in year and and year out. Finally WE get the edge going into next year, a year when the schedule appears to break more favorably as well. So, maybe a roll coming??? :confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

I have also seen positive reviews of their Defense, and comments that this is a team that is good at not beating itself. Read WELL COACHED (which is why their coach is often the subject of rumors for vacancies). It'll be their strong defense against our strong offense. And so-so squads on the other match-up. If we can make some stops, then who knows.... I have faith that Coach will make good use of the extra practice time and have them prepared! Imagine the impact if Duke can win this one...

I also recall Coach Cut saying in the past that he would push spring practice back in the event that we made it to a bowl game. Let me tell you, the difference between early mornings in February and early mornings in March is noticeable when you're outside.

slapthefloor12
12-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Do we know what the difference is between the $75 and $85 tickets? Is there a seating chart available for the tickets available through goduke.com? I imagine it may be the difference between "field level" and "club level", but I'm not sure.

If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it.

sagegrouse
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
As a long-time Iron Duke, alum, and Duke parent, I would expect to hear from Duke re the Belk Bowl (I even used to shop at Belk's back in the day). So far, zilch, nada, zip, nothing.....

sage

blazindw
12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
As a long-time Iron Duke, alum, and Duke parent, I would expect to hear from Duke re the Belk Bowl (I even used to shop at Belk's back in the day). So far, zilch, nada, zip, nothing.....

sage

Really? May want to check your email settings with the Iron Dukes...I've received no short of 10 emails in the past day-plus from the Iron Dukes, Duke Football and others.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Do we know what the difference is between the $75 and $85 tickets? Is there a seating chart available for the tickets available through goduke.com? I imagine it may be the difference between "field level" and "club level", but I'm not sure.

If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Club B level seats are $100. The $85 seats are the lower lower bowl seats in front of those. Cheaper seats are either in the end zone or upper deck ($45 seats). Call the ticket office - they'll help you make your decision and give you the sections, etc.

DukeUsul
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM

sage

Check your junk mail. That's where mine was. I've got a whole bunch of emails from them.

jcastranio
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm supporting the program. I am excited to get to a bowl.

sagegrouse
12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Check your junk mail. That's where mine was. I've got a whole bunch of emails from them.

Nothing in junk. Maybe I should make good on the pledge I made last month to the ID crowd. :)

sage

Dev11
12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I bought tickets and it turns out I cannot go. If you are planning on buying two tickets, PM me and I'll have my two sent to you instead. I bought them through the university and believe I can change the tier and mailing destination before the end of the day.

Mods, please move to Ticket board if this doesn't belong here.

sagegrouse
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Cincinnati may lose its head football coach, Butch Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8708294/butch-jones-cincinnati-bearcats-coach-meet-school-president-future), to Colorado, which has offered him a five-year $13.5 million package. Will apparently meet with Cincy officials today to discuss.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
they lost to a largely mediocre uconn team a couple weeks ago

i'm calling a win.

Cincinnati beat UConn 34-17. Their three losses are by a combined 16 points and include a three point loss to #16 Louisville and a seven point loss to #22 Rutgers. Their third loss is to Toleda who is also a bowl team:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats

Of course, I'm with you in calling for a win. I'm interested in seeing Coach Cutcliffe with three weeks to prepare the team for a game. The offense should include a new wrinkle or two.

pfrduke
12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Cincinnati may lose its head football coach, Butch Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8708294/butch-jones-cincinnati-bearcats-coach-meet-school-president-future), to Colorado, which has offered him a five-year $13.5 million package. Will apparently meet with Cincy officials today to discuss.

sagegrouse

It mystifies me every year that the NCAA hasn't put a hiring freeze in place until after bowl season. I don't understand why a school should be permitted to hire a coach who is already coaching at another school while that other school has games left in its season.

Reilly
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Totally agree on the need for a hiring freeze. Have advocated that for a long time. No firing until after bowl is done. No hiring of currently employed coach until after bowl is done. Move national signing day from early February to late February/early March, to allow new hires the time to recruit. Hits me when somebody like Tom O'Brien gets fired. He didn't break any rules. There's no egregious conduct there. He's been working with his players and his team all year, maybe for a couple years ... and he doesn't get to enjoy Nashville with them.

I'm still looking for a second example of what Cut did in 1998. Cut took over Ole Miss in early December and coached them to a win in a bowl game. I don't recall reading about another head coach coming in from the outside to lead a bowl effort.

In 1998, Cut did not get to serve as OC for national champion Tenn during its bowl game. Bet he would have liked to call the plays in that game. On the other hand, he picked up his first head coaching victory in a bowl game.

In 2007, even though Cut had accepted the Duke job, he still served as OC for Tenn in its bowl game.

loran16
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Totally agree on the need for a hiring freeze. Have advocated that for a long time. No firing until after bowl is done. No hiring of currently employed coach until after bowl is done. Move national signing day from early February to late February/early March, to allow new hires the time to recruit. Hits me when somebody like Tom O'Brien gets fired. He didn't break any rules. There's no egregious conduct there. He's been working with his players and his team all year, maybe for a couple years ... and he doesn't get to enjoy Nashville with them.

I'm still looking for a second example of what Cut did in 1998. Cut took over Ole Miss in early December and coached them to a win in a bowl game. I don't recall reading about another head coach coming in from the outside to lead a bowl effort.

In 1998, Cut did not get to serve as OC for national champion Tenn during its bowl game. Bet he would have liked to call the plays in that game. On the other hand, he picked up his first head coaching victory in a bowl game.

In 2007, even though Cut had accepted the Duke job, he still served as OC for Tenn in its bowl game.

Well Bill Stewart won the Fiesta Bowl after Rich Rodriguez left WVU before the bowl game for Michigan.

Reilly
12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Bill Stewart was already on WVU's staff, wasn't he? Just like Dana Bible (on staff) will guide NCSU. Just like NIU's assistant will guide NIU.

Cut coached the 1998 regular season for Tenn. Then, in December, he took the Ole Miss job and coached Ole Miss in the bowl game for the 1998 season. I'm not aware of that happening any other time.

throatybeard
12-04-2012, 03:05 PM
I also recall Coach Cut saying in the past that he would push spring practice back in the event that we made it to a bowl game. Let me tell you, the difference between early mornings in February and early mornings in March is noticeable when you're outside.

That's not a problem in Durham. The school isn't in Duluth.

BlueDevil16
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT DUKE STUDENT BOWL TICKET OFFER

All Duke students who signed up for Belk Bowl tickets in the student lottery on Tuesday, December 4th, WILL receive a ticket. A limited number of FREE tickets remain for students for the game.

In order to ensure that students that wish to attend the bowl game in Charlotte have a chance, the offer to come to the Cameron Indoor Stadium ticket office to sign up for a free game ticket has been extended to Wednesday, December 5th starting at 8:30 am. Students may also purchase additional tickets for family or friends to sit with them for $75 each.

Student tickets, as well as student purchased tickets, will be distributed at Bank of America Stadium beginning 2 hours prior to kickoff at the North Gate on December 27th.

The Blue Devils will face Cincinnati at 6:30 pm in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte on December 27th.
GO DUKE!

blazindw
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Mike Patrick, Ed Cunningham & Jeannine Edwards will be calling our game for ESPN. Here's a list of the other announcing cores for the 34 bowl games on the ESPN family of networks: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/12/61713/

Dev11
12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
That's not a problem in Durham. The school isn't in Duluth.

You never worked for Duke Football, did you? Those were some cold mornings.

Side note, I mentioned up-thread that I was trying to sell tickets. I called the ticket office and they happily changed up my order for me. Just want to give a shout to any folks there who may read this board that I appreciate what a good job they did being flexible with all of us baffle first-time would-be bowl attenders. It's such a weird and different way to plan my winter vacation.

sporthenry
12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
What is Duke's injury situation going to be? Can we expect everyone not out for the year to be healthy? Are we going to see something resembling a decent secondary with some guys getting back/

blazindw
12-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Side note, I mentioned up-thread that I was trying to sell tickets. I called the ticket office and they happily changed up my order for me. Just want to give a shout to any folks there who may read this board that I appreciate what a good job they did being flexible with all of us baffle first-time would-be bowl attenders. It's such a weird and different way to plan my winter vacation.

Funny, I tried to go from 8 to 7 on my preorder and they said they couldn't do that. Not stressing it though, as I'm sure that the ticket will get claimed by the time the game comes around.

Reilly
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22129810/butch-jones-at-another-bowl-news-conference-avoids

Reilly
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8718285/butch-jones-calls-reports-colorado-buffaloes-false

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Mike Patrick, Ed Cunningham & Jeannine Edwards will be calling our game for ESPN. Here's a list of the other announcing cores for the 34 bowl games on the ESPN family of networks: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/12/61713/

I'm still grieving EA's departure from Mousespn.

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 09:13 PM

No, I just lived in Durham and got up in the morning for ten years. The idea that Durham has harsh winters is farcical.

DueBlevil
12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
No, I just lived in Durham and got up in the morning for ten years. The idea that Durham has harsh winters is farcical.

The comparison isn't Durham to Duluth or any other city... the comparison is Durham in February to Durham in March. It's warmer in March than it is in February, is it not? Not sure what exactly you're trying to prove...

Reilly
12-07-2012, 07:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8723192/tennessee-volunteers-hire-butch-jones-coach-source-says

blazindw
12-07-2012, 07:54 AM

I was thinking of an example and then finally realized the one that was under my nose: Brian Kelly, when he was hired at Cincy, left Central Michigan (who also was in a bowl game) to coach Cincy in their bowl game after Mark Dantonio left for Michigan State. Kelly's staffed remained at CMU and coached the Chippys during their bowl game, then joined Kelly in Cincy for the Bearcats' bowl game.

Reilly
12-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Cincy interim coach named:

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120712aaa.html

blazindw
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Cincy interim coach named:

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120712aaa.html

Steve Stripling was the guy who took over bowl game coaching duties for Butch Jones at Central Michigan when Jones came to Cincy. I'd probably expect him to join Jones in Knoxville after the bowl game.

Reilly
12-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Cut's Belk Bowl press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205821866&DB_OEM_ID=4200

OZZIE4DUKE
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Steve Stripling was the guy who took over bowl game coaching duties for Butch Jones at Central Michigan when Jones came to Cincy. I'd probably expect him to join Jones in Knoxville after the bowl game.

Jones obviously was afraid of facing Duke on the 27th and got out of town as fast as he could! :cool:

Lunchab1es
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Jones obviously was afraid of facing Duke on the 27th and got out of town as fast as he could! :cool:

Hopefully the changing of the guard gives us (more of) an edge :cool:

Also, got an email saying the Alumni Association tailgate tickets cost 50 bucks! That's more than my ticket to the game itself!

May just bring beer and corn hole and call it a day :p

BigWayne
12-08-2012, 02:41 AM

Also, got an email saying the Alumni Association tailgate tickets cost 50 bucks! That's more than my ticket to the game itself!

They wanted $68 for the tailgate party of bbq and beer at the Stanford game. This one must be only $50 because there appears to be a two beer limit.

DangerDevil
12-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Price of pig is goin up boys!

ns7
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like Butch Jones' departure to Tennessee has affected the line.

7 is still a large spread but indicates a very winnable game for Duke. I believe UNC was favored by 7 earlier this year and that turned out great for us.

jjasper0729
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Would be $75 for me and my under 12 year old son. I will probably just get parking and bring the barbecue and cornhole and do the same thing :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Would be $75 for me and my under 12 year old son. I will probably just get parking and bring the barbecue and cornhole and do the same thing :)

Coach has asked that we take over Charlotte. That means a presence throughout the parking lots. You guys are right on point.:cool:

sporthenry
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like Butch Jones' departure to Tennessee has affected the line.

7 is still a large spread but indicates a very winnable game for Duke. I believe UNC was favored by 7 earlier this year and that turned out great for us.

It is worth noting, the line started to move immediately after it opened. Now Jones was also speculate to places like Colorado as early as that Monday and the line movement just about all happened right after opening. So it remains to be seen if this was bet down or if it was just assuming Jones left. So it may be good that the sharps were on Duke right after but will be interesting to see if it can get to that magic number of 6.5.

ns7
12-13-2012, 12:43 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed to post ESPN Insider links.

His basic gist is that
1) Cincy defense struggled against top passing offenses, giving up 400+ to Louisville and 300+ to Connecticut. Syracuse put up 286
2) Cutcliffe is good in bowls and is motivated to use this as a statement game. Essentially, Duke has more motivation than Cincinnati

I think #1 is debatable, but agree with #2.

Reilly
12-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Sunday night on the espn bowl mania special, where analysts were picking bowl winners and assigning "confidence points" ranking their projected winners from 1-35 based on how confident they were in the pick, Todd McShay picked Duke (but only at 2 confidence points). I hope Butch Jones departing, and our playing in Charlotte where so many of our guys are from, and Cut's ability to get a team ready for a bowl, all equal victory for us. We've got a senior QB/WR combo -- each of whom could be in the NFL next year. I'm a bit concerned an especially chilly night will favor Cincy's more bruising run game.

Reilly
12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/1026228.pdf?ATCLID=205824883&SPSID=22680&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Reilly
12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
http://belkbowl.com/images/uploads/2012BelkBowlMediaGuidelr.pdf

blazindw
12-18-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't think we know what our uniform choice will be for the game, but Cincy has introduced a new alternate helmet that they will be wearing on the 27th: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-WNOXXCEAA_wOA.png.

We're the home team, so the only thing we know is that we will not be wearing white.

Dev11
12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't think we know what our uniform choice will be for the game, but Cincy has introduced a new alternate helmet that they will be wearing on the 27th: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-WNOXXCEAA_wOA.png.

We're the home team, so the only thing we know is that we will not be wearing white.

If superstition has anything to say, I would guess we'll be going black on blue on black, as we did for the Carolina game. Despite my general inclination against black uniforms, I think our black helmets are pretty sleek.

DukeSean
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
kinda like those cincy helmets. a little bit futuristic in a UA way, but thankfully not in a MD UA way.

hq2
12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by hudlow

Yeah, outerwear is at 60% off right now! Maybe they'll have some good deals
on home furnishings too; pick up some while you're there!

msdukie
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
We are wearing blue jerseys. Blue Devil Network tweeted the jersey with the bowl patch last week.

August West
12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Tickets just arrived via UPS. I'm ready to play some football right now. Woohoo!

jimsumner
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
If you're looking for something to do on the 26th.

Duke press release.

"With the Duke football team set to face Cincinnati in the 11th annual Belk Bowl next week, fans can join head coach David Cutcliffe for the Duke Football Radio Show live from the Westin Hotel in Charlotte on Wednesday, December 26th.

For $20, fans can be part of a buffet dinner and the show live from the Providence Ballroom at the Duke team hotel, the Westin, located at 601 South College Street. The buffet starts at 6 p.m., with the radio show live from 7-8 p.m.

Tickets to the event may be ordered at for $20 each online at GoDuke.com.

The show, presented by Kangaroo Express, will be broadcast across the state on the following stations:

WDNC – 620 AM – Durham

WHVN – 1240 AM – Charlotte

WTIB – 103.7 FM – Greenville/Eastern NC

WQSL – 92.3 FM – Wilmington

WIST – 98.3 FM – Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point)

WEEB – 990 AM – Southern Pines"

Reilly
12-22-2012, 12:06 AM
http://twitter.com/belkbowl/status/279333040080162816

Reilly
12-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Tremendous Duke football year in review show up at goduke:

www.goduke.com/HomePage2.dbml

dukeman28428
12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Coach has asked that we take over Charlotte. That means a presence throughout the parking lots. You guys are right on point.:cool:

My wife and I are so excited and look forward to attending the Belk Bowl and hope that all Duke fans will show up and bring a friend with you. Important for us to show up in big numbers for future opportunties........LET'S GO DUKE.

watzone
12-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Duke OL Dave Harding http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/12/duke-ol-dave-harding-talks-belk-bowl/ is ready for the challenge. Best of luck to Duke Gang, most of whom are already in Charlotte.

Reilly
12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
... Duke Gang, most of whom are already in Charlotte.

Team arrived what time today?

Reilly
12-22-2012, 09:26 PM
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23dukegang&src=hash

Reilly
12-23-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.goduke.com/HomePage2.dbml

DownEastDevil
12-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Well maybe not! Been to the Belk's in Rocky Mount and Wilson and not a Duke shirt to be found. The one in Rocky Mount had a big Belk Bowl display and a mannequin wearing Tar Heel gear. I told my wife I would not buy any Christmas gifts from that store.

Reilly
12-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Wonder how Crowder will do returning kicks ....

TruBlu
12-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Wonder how Crowder will do returning kicks ....

Only one kick-off return allowed. Maybe about 8 or 9 punt returns.

Reilly
12-24-2012, 07:33 AM
- Belk shopping spree ... Des Scott buying Xmas gifts for a young mother

- Sights and sounds of first Charlotte practice ... intensity level looked there ... Coach Collins out there

- Duke at Charlotte Motor Speedway ... Cut talking about his h.s. driving days .... Cut joyous after his lap

- Helmet cam on Kenny A as he took a lap at the speedway ...

- Cut interview ....

And for a funny counterpoint, check out the Cincy site, where their coach looks like he's ready to hurl after his lap

mkline09
12-24-2012, 07:41 AM
For those interested here is my Inside Look with Bearcats Nation and what they think about the upcoming game.

http://www.dukesportsblog.com/duke-cincinnati-inside-look-belk-bowl-edition/

peloton
12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Coach has asked that we take over Charlotte. That means a presence throughout the parking lots.

For what it's worth, my 2 sons and I will be doing our part. To say I'm excited is an understatement. Although I saw it said on another Duke board that this game's essentially a "must win" game for Duke, I don't really agree. It goes without saying that this bowl game is a big deal for our program and a win would be absolutely huge, but I don't consider it a "must win" game for Duke football. I definitely think that a win against a 9-3 Bearcats team would help recruiting. On the other hand, is a loss to a very respectable Bearcats team a huge setback? I don't believe so and no one can convince me otherwise. Our program is still taking incremental steps towards winning on a regular basis. As a lifelong Duke fan I'd like sustained success on the football field *now* but typically that's not the way it happens, let's face it. But I think we can all agree that this game is huge for our guys and more importantly, for the program in general. I'd love nothing more than to see Conner Vernon, Sean Renfree, Desmond Scott, and the other seniors leave Duke with a bowl victory; the bowl victory itself and a winning season would be a fitting reward for all their hard work the last 4 years in resurrecting the Duke football program.

The team obviously has a big challenge in front of them if they expect to win the 2012 Belk Bowl but I'll be there making myself hoarse as usual, loving every minute of it. Let's go Duke!

sagegrouse
12-24-2012, 04:09 PM
The Harold's Son article linked on the Front Page reviewed Duke's bowl history. The last win was Duke 7, "Southern Cal" 6 in the Cotton Bowl 1/1/61.
Gee, I sure thought Lance Alworth, who returned a punt for a TD in that game, played for Arkansas.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2012, 04:12 PM
The TBCC has purchased our parking passes and plan on setting up around 10am. I am precooking 16 pounds of pork on the grill right now for the tailgate, we will be doing a tank of a standing rib roast on game day. Plus lots of grilled finger food and beer. And Bloody Marys. And more beer.
Getting excited!

jjasper0729
12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
The TBCC has purchased our parking passes and plan on setting up around 10am. I am precooking 16 pounds of pork on the grill right now for the tailgate, we will be doing a tank of a standing rib roast on game day. Plus lots of grilled finger food and beer. And Bloody Marys. And more beer.
Getting excited!

I'm cooking 5 pounds of pork on Wednesday and I'll be at the lot at McNinich St & Morehead St. :-) Also baked beans and cole slaw and chicken salad. Stop on by. definitely going to be fun.

Indoor66
12-24-2012, 05:01 PM
May I put in a request for leftovers to be sent to me in goodporkBBQlessSouthFlorida? All positive responses rewarded with copious sporks. :eek::D:cool:

Jim3k
12-25-2012, 02:53 AM
The Harold's Son article linked on the Front Page reviewed Duke's bowl history. The last win was Duke 7, "Southern Cal" 6 in the Cotton Bowl 1/1/61.
Gee, I sure thought Lance Alworth, who returned a punt for a TD in that game, played for Arkansas.

sagegrouse

That's how I remember it. Wiki way too limited summary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Cotton_Bowl_Classic), for those who don't. And I also remember the "We want a day!" demonstration a bit earlier--but Dr. Hart wouldn't give it to us. And I know, Sage, that you remember it well--since we were both involved.

sagegrouse
12-25-2012, 11:59 AM
That's how I remember it. Wiki way too limited summary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Cotton_Bowl_Classic), for those who don't. And I also remember the "We want a day!" demonstration a bit earlier--but Dr. Hart wouldn't give it to us. And I know, Sage, that you remember it well--since we were both involved.

Yes, and since it was Dr. Hart's call, it was all Julio's and -jk's fault!

Merry Christmas to all -- a white Christmas in the Rockies -- 11" overnight and about two feet since the weekend.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
12-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all -- a white Christmas in the Rockies -- 11" overnight and about two feet since the weekend.

sagegrouse

Merry Christmas all. No snow here - it is 73 & Sunny. :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Are folks tailgating, or going to the BBQ? OPK and l'il OPK Jr. will be ready to meet and mingle before the game.

DBR plans?

loran16
12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Are folks tailgating, or going to the BBQ? OPK and l'il OPK Jr. will be ready to meet and mingle before the game.

DBR plans?

Yeah, what's the plan for people on this board? I'm hoping to be able to get out of NY in the morning (Pray for not a bad snowstorm tonight) and wanted to know what people were doing in case they wanted to meet up. Would be nice to finally meet some people on this board.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
DUMB at Fanfest 3:25, that's my launching point absent better direction. Maybe I'll get an "I'm OPK" sticker although there has to be a better way.

DownEastDevil
12-26-2012, 07:29 PM

DBR plans?

Looks like there will be a big tailgate party going on in a lot on 4th street. Our hotel is about 5 blocks from the stadium so we will be trying to get around to meet as many people as possible.

jjasper0729
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Looks like there will be a big tailgate party going on in a lot on 4th street. Our hotel is about 5 blocks from the stadium so we will be trying to get around to meet as many people as possible.

Posted above, but I'll be at mcninch street (about 2 1/2 blocks from the stadium) with barbecue (eastern), baked beans, slaw, chicken salad and chips. Stop by :-)

peloton
12-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I have just one thing to say before heading down to Charlotte...

Let's Go Duke!!!

Bob Green
12-27-2012, 09:33 AM
We must successfully run the ball to win. We ran for 234 yards in the victory over UNC; 182 yards in the victory over Virginia; and 123 yards in the victory over Wake. In the non-conference wins, we rushed for 177 yards in the victory over Memphis; 128 yards in the victory over NCCU; and 119 yards in the victory over FIU. That's an average of 160.5 yards rushing per victory.

In our six losses, we averaged 77.5 yards rushing.

Obviously, we are much more successful in games where our offense is multidimensional.

killerleft
12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Go Duke!! Can't get off work, had to give away my ticket:(. But I'll be rooting the Devils on in front of the TV. A win would be great, so let's get 'em Duke!!!!

OldPhiKap
12-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Leaving the office now to get OPK Jr. and head to Charlotte. Let's Go Duke!!!!!!

ChillinDuke
12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Have our Bojangles Jumbo Tailgate Pack!!! Heading to parking lot!!!

GO DUKE!!!

- Chillin

Duke_92
12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
We are on the train from Durham to Charlotte. Lots of Duke fans on board.

sporthenry
12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
We must successfully run the ball to win. We ran for 234 yards in the victory over UNC; 182 yards in the victory over Virginia; and 123 yards in the victory over Wake. In the non-conference wins, we rushed for 177 yards in the victory over Memphis; 128 yards in the victory over NCCU; and 119 yards in the victory over FIU. That's an average of 160.5 yards rushing per victory.

In our six losses, we averaged 77.5 yards rushing.

Obviously, we are much more successful in games where our offense is multidimensional.

Well this is like the chicken or the egg. Was Duke successful b/c they ran the ball or was running just an indicator of success (i.e. running the ball with a lead). I personally think it is the latter where Duke passes to set up the run. Either way, UC is very stingy in the run game but can be passed on.

I think the biggest thing will be Duke's defense getting a few stops but if they go 3 and out a few times and UC runs it well, defense might be gassed by half.

killerleft
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Well this is like the chicken or the egg. Was Duke successful b/c they ran the ball or was running just an indicator of success (i.e. running the ball with a lead). I personally think it is the latter where Duke passes to set up the run. Either way, UC is very stingy in the run game but can be passed on.

I think the biggest thing will be Duke's defense getting a few stops but if they go 3 and out a few times and UC runs it well, defense might be gassed by half.

Nope, the run set up the pass in most of those games. When a good passing offense like ours is augmented by the run, watch out!

Oh, and GO DUKE!!!

Bob Green
12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Well this is like the chicken or the egg. Was Duke successful b/c they ran the ball or was running just an indicator of success (i.e. running the ball with a lead). I personally think it is the latter where Duke passes to set up the run.

Nope, the run set up the pass in most of those games. When a good passing offense like ours is augmented by the run, watch out!

Oh, and GO DUKE!!!

I agree with killerleft. We consistently achieved success with play action passes after successfully running the ball.

Acymetric
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
So disappointed that I can't go but can't wait to head to a bar and cheer on our Devils! Time can't go fast enough...LGD!!!

Acymetric
12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Not to double post, but anyone else who can't make it be watching at a bar in the Cary area? Trying to go to a place where the sound will be on!

riverside6
12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Live stats for duke/ cincy here

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2775

75Crazie
12-27-2012, 06:59 PM
What a great story about Desmond Scott!

arnie
12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
What a great story about Desmond Scott!

The defense has given up. We need to score 40+ to have any chance

Furniture
12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Some terrible calls in this game that haven't gone Dukes way.

hudlow
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
The announcers are only slightly better than the officials...

Newton_14
12-27-2012, 08:33 PM
The announcers are only slightly better than the officials...

Martini ville...

I thought the fumble going in for the TD was the key turning point. Could have been up 23-3 with the ball a few minutes later. That hurt big.

The shenanigans at the end of the half were BS too. That was obviously intentional to ice Martin. Try that against a Senior and he probably laughs at you when he drills the next one down the middle, but with Martin being a Frosh it likely factored in the miss.

We just have to score though. We can outscore this team if we get the offense back to rolling.

Worried about injuries piling up too. Conner has a knee issue, Jela is concussed, Byas is concussed, and Snead has a neck issue. Those are key guys and we need all hands on deck to win this thing.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Might be the worst officiated game I've seen in a long, long time. That last penalty taking an FG from Duke? Astonishing.

Watch for Cincy to tee off with more helmet to helmet hits in the 2H. It paid big dividends for them in the 1H.

6th Man
12-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm so angry right now at these helmet to helmet shots and the poor officiating I can't see straight. We've been screwed on the calls. Duke needs to come out angry and stop doing typical Duke stuff. Time to bring it. I can only hope the team gets as pissed as Cutcliffe was to end the half and uses that energy.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Guy crossed the yellow line, official picked it up and moved it WAY back.

Duke1986
12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
To say Duke is getting hosed is an understatement.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Martini ville...

I thought the fumble going in for the TD was the key turning point. Could have been up 23-3 with the ball a few minutes later. That hurt big.

The shenanigans at the end of the half were BS too. That was obviously intentional to ice Martin. Try that against a Senior and he probably laughs at you when he drills the next one down the middle, but with Martin being a Frosh it likely factored in the miss.

We just have to score though. We can outscore this team if we get the offense back to rolling.

Worried about injuries piling up too. Conner has a knee issue, Jela is concussed, Byas is concussed, and Snead has a neck issue. Those are key guys and we need all hands on deck to win this thing.

The "illegal block" on the blown INT was bad on several levels, too.

- the uncalled helmet to helmet
- the blown int call
- the questionable "low block" call when renfree blocked the waist, not the knees
- allowing the penalty to stand on a play that shouldn't have ever happened

They really need to crack down on the launching tackles on defenseless WRs by Cincy, since that's still a penalty. Just like the rarely called "block below knees on an int return." Well, rare if you're not Matt Hasselbeck in the Super Bowl.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 08:42 PM
On a positive note, how about that 79yd punt by Monday?

arnie
12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
On a positive note, how about that 79yd punt by Monday?

The punt that led to cincy 98 yard TD drive?

sporthenry
12-27-2012, 09:05 PM
This year has sort of been a broken record. Team starts out strong, defense is fine, offense plays well but leaves some points on the field. Doesn't step on the throat when necessary and then defense utterly collapses. I guess their athleticism finally catches up to them but they somehow forget how to tackle and then the game is over.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
NOw ESPN has bailed on the game in favor of interviewing the new Cincy coach. Wonder what we missed?

Furniture
12-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Get in!

uh_no
12-27-2012, 09:16 PM
anyone else here want to claim this team has given up????

didn't think so.

sporthenry
12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
And then anytime you think this team is going to roll over they bring you back in. Just not sure they have enough stops left in them.

moonpie23
12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
we were down against unc till the last play.....they just have to execute.....

are these refs picking on us?

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
The punt that led to cincy 98 yard TD drive?

Still a helluva punt!

sporthenry
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
we were down against unc till the last play.....they just have to execute.....

are these refs picking on us?

We were actually up against UNC for most of the game before their last drive. This game is more like a combination of the Va. Tech game where we took an early lead but didn't build on it and the UM game where we got punched in the mouth but kept on fighting. Hopefully this ends like the UNC game though.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 09:33 PM
long drive with 7 at the finish!!

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
After giving up the lead, Duke's back on top. Let's see some D!!

I don't want us to just be []uke.

arnie
12-27-2012, 09:36 PM
After giving up the lead, Duke's back on top. Let's see some D!!

I don't want us to just be []uke.

Or even better, I'll take a lucky turnover

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Or even better, I'll take a lucky turnover

I'd take a tackle.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow. That wasn't uncatchable? Lame.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 09:40 PM
that pass was not catchable

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
And the refs strike again. Sigh.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
brutal

Duke1986
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
This is one of the most horribly officiated college football games I've ever seen.

arnie
12-27-2012, 09:43 PM
brutal

Yea but we're playing duke d now. Gotta score on every possession.

Dev11
12-27-2012, 09:45 PM
This is one of the most horribly officiated college football games I've ever seen.

Fitting, then, that Mike Patrick has the call, so the announcing can emulate the officiating.

Furniture
12-27-2012, 09:46 PM
One word describes these officials!
DISGUSTING!

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
What sucks about bad calls in football is that they are so much more impactful than in basketball.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:51 PM
That's the Ross Martin we're used to!

Udaman
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I hate to complain about the refs....I truly do....but in this game it's been ridiculous how they have hurt and cost Duke.

The helmet to helmet hit that caused the fumble. That cost us 7 points.

The awful turnover call which never should have been called, and then the terrible penalty.

The Cincy intentional icing by doing a penalty at the end of the first half.

The terrible pass interference on 3rd and 8th on a catch that couldn't be made, and then a pass interference that wasn't even there (followed immediately by a Cincy TD).

Three of these plays either directly cost us points, or led to immediate points by Cincy.

We are simply not good enough to take on a good team and have every single meaningful call in the game go against us.

Sigh.

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Like the UNC game
hoping for the same outcome....

Those 3 points the refs took from us at the end of 1H could be huge.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I hate to complain about the refs....I truly do....but in this game it's been ridiculous how they have hurt and cost Duke.

The helmet to helmet hit that caused the fumble. That cost us 7 points.

The awful turnover call which never should have been called, and then the terrible penalty.

The Cincy intentional icing by doing a penalty at the end of the first half.

The terrible pass interference on 3rd and 8th on a catch that couldn't be made, and then a pass interference that wasn't even there (followed immediately by a Cincy TD).

Three of these plays either directly cost us points, or led to immediate points by Cincy.

We are simply not good enough to take on a good team and have every single meaningful call in the game go against us.

Sigh.

To be fair, the fumble at the 1 was helmet to helmet, but that's a legal hit on a ball carrier.

Otherwise, totally agree.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Great defensive stand! Let's get the lead back!

Les Grossman
3 and out baby!

uh_no
this is it boys.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Gotta play for the td here. FG is not enough.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Also need to hold onto the ball. Sigh.

arnie
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Gotta play for the td here. FG is not enough.

Of course he fumbled why not!

Les Grossman
12-27-2012, 10:10 PM
fumble followed by the big defensive gaffe

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeesh. They gave this one away.

moonpie23
12-27-2012, 10:11 PM
ugh..........angst...

come on duke........still got time

arnie
12-27-2012, 10:11 PM
fumble followed by the big defensive gaffe

Never in doubt. Time to go to bed

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Oh well. Good season, lots to be hopeful of next season.

hudlow
12-27-2012, 10:16 PM
damn, damn, damn

AtlBluRew
12-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh well. Good season, lots to be hopeful of next season.

Agreed.

Furniture
12-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Why do I feel like I have been robbed?

JBDuke
12-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I created a new post-game thread, like we do for basketball. I've closed this one, since a victory vigil at this point is moot. I also moved several post-game comments into the new thread. Here's the link:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30042-FB-Cincinnati-48-Duke-34-(Belk-Bowl)-Post-Game-Thread