PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Deep at the Wing

dragoneye776
12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Does anyone think that we are recruiting too heavily on wing players? Out of our players who can play SF or PF next year:

More PF
Josh Hairston
Amile Jefferson
Jabari Parker (if he comes)
Alex Murphy
Rodney Hood
Semi Ojeleye
Rasheed Sulaimon
More SF

If Gbinije had stayed, we would literally have had eight wing players next year. While this makes us deep, I'm afraid it'll cost us in recruiting other wing players and cause transfers due to lack of playing time. If you look at Duke's offer's for the 2014 class (http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/150/class/2014/page/offers), we are literally recruiting two more SF's: Justise Winslow and Theo Pinson. After Mason is gone, the only player taller than 6'8 will be Marshall, causing a lack of depth at the center position. In the next two years, the only new tall guy that could come is Jahlil Okafor, and he is being recruited by Kentucky, OSU, MSU, UNC, and a lot of other schools. Should we be concerned about the lack of incoming bigs?

Greg_Newton
12-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Does anyone think that we are recruiting too heavily on wing players?

The answer to this will not ever be yes. :p

For next year though, I imagine the wings/forward-type players will be as follows:

Josh Hairston - backup C
Amile Jefferson - backup PF
Jabari Parker (if he comes) - starting PF
Alex Murphy - backup wing
Rodney Hood - starting wing
Rasheed Sulaimon - starting wing

As long as Jones and Ojeleye are okay being the 10th/11th men as freshmen if Jabari comes, that's a very nice rotation.

We'll lose Jabari and Hairston the following year, are probably more likely than not to lose Hood, and honestly I'd be surprised if Sulaimon is still around as a junior. So, it's possible we could scare off a Pinson or Winslow depending on who stays, but it would mean we'll have five-star upperclassmen in their place. I'd be pretty okay with that.

I think the big man question is a separate one - recruiting another player who can anchor the middle is certainly a top priority.

Son of Jarhead
12-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Andre Dawkins is suppossed to be back next season, and he is definitely a wing player. I'm not sure I would count Josh Hairston as a wing player, he will play mainly inside. To me, wings are the SF & SG positions. Also, I suppose Tyler is playing some as the SG this year, when on the floor with Quin.

Basically, I agree with Newt, you can never have too many versitile wing players. The players listed can collectively cover the 1-4 spots, with a couple capable of playing spot duty at point if needed, plus Josh is capable of covering the center spot if needed, but I rather not need him there. What we really need is a big guy to join Marshall at the 5 spot, another center, or better yet, a big who can also play the 4 if need be.

Olympic Fan
12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Ah ... you're leaving out Matt Jones and Andre Dawkins, who are also wings.

And that does not include Tyler Thornton, who has played his share of wing (a year ago, he frequently guarded opposing SFs).

No problem at all with the plethora of wings. It gives Coach K great flexibility. Just consider the great teams in the 1990s. Duke's first national title team had Grant Hill, Tony Lang, Greg Koubek, Brian Davis, Thomas Hill, Marty Clark and Billy McCaffrey on the wing ... even Laettner was an inside outside big man who played in the perimeter as much as in the post. K fiddled with the lineup all that season, but when he got to the NCAAs, he played Grant Hill -- a slender 6-8 freshman with guard skills -- at power forward, 6-5 Greg Koubek at SG and 6-4 Thomas Hill at WG ... with the 6-4 McCaffrey the first guard off the bench and the 6-7 Brian Davis as the first frontcourt sub.

You NEVER have too many wings ... espcially when they are versatile enough to play multiple positions. The guys Duke will have next season bring very different skill sets.They range in size from 6-3 (Sulaimon) to 6-9 (Hood). They range from very slender players such as Hood and Jefferson to solidly built such as Murphy and Ojeleye. They range from good ballhandlers (Sulaimon and Hood) to great shooters (Jones and maybe Dawkins) to strong rebounders (Murphy) to a (maybe ... hopefully) a first-round NBA talent in Parker. You'll have natural wings who can play PF (or even help at C) such as Parker, Murphy and Jefferson and wings who can play at the point (Sulaimon and maybe Hood).

Relax. It's going to be fun.

dchen09
12-02-2012, 01:53 AM
The PF position in college basketball is actually closer to a wing position in the NBA so having a few more skinny 6'6-6'9 players with excellent quickness won't hurt us in 95% of games. Thus, we actually have closer to 3 wing positions rather than 2. If you think of it this way, its not a big deal for us to be recruiting 8-10 wing positions. If anything, Coach K has shown a preference for many versatile wings/forwards and a mobile, lighter center (Ex. US Olympic team). Plus, with the amount that we switch on defense, its ideal for us to have as many versatile wings as possible to prevent bad matchups.

Looking at each wing position and their respective offensive, defensive positions, and possible length of stay.
Josh Hairston - Shown that he can defend the opposing team's center so he's more of a front court option/back up center (ex. Kentucky game against Noel). Until I see some semblence of ball handling and a shooting touch, its a really far stretch to call him a wing, despite his size. Plus, he's been very foul prone every year he's here so he has a pretty hard ceiling in minutes played. Will graduate in 2014.
Amile Jefferson - He has excellent lateral quickness and length, allowing him to guard the wing very well. However his offensive skill set is more of a faceup 4. He doesn't have much of a perimeter shot and his ball handling is fairly mediocre but has shown quite a bit of ability to finish around the rim in transition and on the low post. Will likely stay until 2016.
Jabari Parker (if he comes) - I haven't seen him much except for mixtapes. With that said, he seems like a true wing. Offensively, he doesn't seem to have much post skills, rather relying on his skills to penetrate to the basket or shooting touch around the perimeter. On defense, his size suggests he'll be able to guard most college forwards but its hard to see if he has the strength or the intuition to do so. Will likely leave 2014.
Alex Murphy - From seeing limited action this season, it seems like he's being groomed to play on the wing extensively. Has the ability to drive to the hoop and shoot the 3. He has the strength to guard some 4s. Will likely stay until 2016, maybe 2015 if he wants to graduate.
Rodney Hood - Haven't seen him play but supposedly has good ball handling, good shot, and good length. Sounds like more comfortable playing 2/3, both on offense and on defense. Supposedly will leave in 2014.
Semi Ojeleye - From the scouting reports, this guy sounds like a better backup front court options. He's already listed as weighing more than Amile and Alex and his strengths right now are his athleticism, strength, and toughness. Slated to graduate in 2017.
Matt Jones - I added Matt Jones because he's listed as being 6'5 and doesn't seem to have the ball handling skills necessary to play PG. Classic Duke shooter who is working on his ball handling to give him more ability to drive. Clearly more comfortable defending PGs and SGs. Slated to garduate in 2017.
Andre Dawkins - Lets nit forget about Andre. He has come up big for us before and his shooting stroke is truly a weapon. However, he just hasn't shown the ball handling or the defensive presence to stay on the court for extensive time. He generally plays the 3 on defense where his poor lateral quickness is not as big of a deal and his size helps. Might not even come back (but likely will graduate in 2014).
Rasheed Sulaimon - He's good.... Enough said about skills. Can play 1-3 in college. Length and quickness allows him to guard some smaller 4s even. The question is when will he graduate. Will he even stay until next year? He has the size/length to play the 2 at the next level, though he doesn't have unbelievable athleticism. I guess he could afford to gain a few lbs? His ball handling is good but not unbelievable either. Nolan Smith had a tighter handle and he's not doing so well in the pros so I doubt he'll be drafted to play the point specifically. His shot is a bit streaky. I guess what I'm saying is he's really good in all the skills necessary for an NBA guard but not elite in any of them. That being said, it's really hard to see him staying any longer than 2014.
Tyler Thornton - Been asked to guard 1-3. Plays the 2 next to Cook when they're in the game together. Will Graduate in 2014.

So just to summarize for 3 positions we have the following (potential) rotation next year:
2: Sulaimon (who will likely back up the 1), Hood, Thornton, Jones
3: Parker (?), Murphy, Dawkins
4: Jefferson, Hairston (probably spend a majority of min backing 5), Ojeleye

in 2015:
1: Cook, Jones?
2: Sulaimon?, Hood?, Jones
3: Murphy, Winslow?, Pinson?
4: Jefferson, Ojeleye
5: Plumlee

So next year we're going to be super deep at the wing. We're definitely going to be running alot of 4out1in type rotations. The freshmen are not going to have an easy time cracking the rotation so we can probably ignore them in terms of minutes played. They know what they were going into. Jefferson seems like he's being groomed to play the 4. Hairston doesn't look like he'll be a threat for more than 10-20min off the bench. I could be wrong... but even if Hairston develops a touch around the basket AND a mid range jump shot, I think we give up too much mobility and versatility to keep him in the game very long. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard the wing very well. I can easily see us having a 8 man rotation with Thornton and Dawkins being left with minimal minutes.

For 2015, assuming Sulaimon and Hood are gone, we have plenty of time in the wing. Right now we only have Jones, Murphy, Jefferson, and Ojeleye splitting 120 min and thats if Cook and Plumlee play all 40min at their positions.

TL;DR; Next year we're stacked, 2015 and after, not so much.

YmoBeThere
12-02-2012, 07:02 AM
If anything, Coach K has shown a preference for many versatile wings/forwards and a mobile, lighter center (Ex. US Olympic team).

Which is why it never surprises me when someone like a Derrick Williams takes over a game on us(okay, he hit a lot of outside shots so maybe not the best example). And in my opinion why true or not, Duke has a reputation for "not being able to coach" big men.

sagegrouse
12-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Which is why it never surprises me when someone like a Derrick Williams takes over a game on us(okay, he hit a lot of outside shots so maybe not the best example). And in my opinion why true or not, Duke has a reputation for "not being able to coach" big men.

Oh, goodness! How many canards can you stuff into a mere two sentences? IIRC (and there is always a first time), Derrick Williams' score before intermission, which was the shot that lit the fire under U of A, was a prayer over Ryan Kelly, who had defended him perfectly. Ryan Kelly is 6-11 and a decent defender. Moreover, Derrick is a speedy wing, so why wouldn't another speedy wing be helpful in defense of him and his ilk? I can't see a junior version of Dwight Howard or Christian Laettner chasing him around the floor very effectively.

And, you say, "in my opinion ... Duke has a reputation for 'not being able to coach' big men." So loading up on wing players will buttress your opinion or degrade Duke's rep or what? Hard to figure.

The interesting thing about this thread is that after Kyle left we were bereft of classic wing players between 6-6 and 6-8. Now we are complaining that that's all we are recruiting.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
12-02-2012, 07:51 AM
The interesting thing about this thread is that after Kyle left we were bereft of classic wing players between 6-6 and 6-8. Now we are complaining that that's all we are recruiting.

Well, since Alex got some minutes, we need to move on to the next phantom menace.

"Attack of the PF Glut!"

(Or perhaps they are all similar enough to be clones of each other. . . .)

roywhite
12-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Well, since Alex got some minutes, we need to move on to the next phantom menace.

"Attack of the PF Glut!"

It's becoming a challenge to find the downside or trouble spots on this 2012-13 Duke team.

Somehow I think the board is up to the task;)

TruBlu
12-02-2012, 08:22 AM

"Attack of the PF Glut!"

"Why isn't Todd getting more minutes?"

YmoBeThere
12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Oh, goodness! How many canards can you stuff into a mere two sentences? IIRC (and there is always a first time), Derrick Williams' score before intermission, which was the shot that lit the fire under U of A, was a prayer over Ryan Kelly, who had defended him perfectly. Ryan Kelly is 6-11 and a decent defender. Moreover, Derrick is a speedy wing, so why wouldn't another speedy wing be helpful in defense of him and his ilk? I can't see a junior version of Dwight Howard or Christian Laettner chasing him around the floor very effectively.

And, you say, "in my opinion ... Duke has a reputation for 'not being able to coach' big men." So loading up on wing players will buttress your opinion or degrade Duke's rep or what? Hard to figure.

sagegrouse

I could have used the example of Emeka Okafor and there are others. Yes, Williams was a speedy wing(was he a 3 or a 4), but at 240 lbs or so at the time, he was also physically stronger than anyone we had. He dominated the boards against us which was a function of speed and power. I don't think it was hard to recognize that the 2010 season all came together when a 260 lbs Zoubek started holding down the lane for us.

I would also note that so far this year we have been out rebounded by 290-282 and if you take out the Delaware game, the gap widens. (Some may disagree with my stats, be wary of your sources.) We will be vulnerable to stronger teams that can score in the paint, we always have been and it is an obstacle that can be overcome.

Finally, I would say that you quote me out of context. I used the phrase "true or not" as a disclaimer to that statement, because I don't necessarily agree with it. But we generally we don't recruit athletes that appear physically strong, which again goes to the whole "can't coach big men" meme. Lance Thomas as our 4 was out muscled in most situations. He worked hard and moved well(footwork/positioning), but he wasn't moving players out of the way. Amile Jefferson as a 4 fits into the Lance/Tony Lang category as a rebounder. So, while we may be recruiting lots of wings, as Clara Peller used to say, "Where's the beef?"

rocketeli
12-02-2012, 08:51 AM

OMG, You're right! Do you think he's going to transfer?

Faison1
12-02-2012, 08:56 AM
It's becoming a challenge to find the downside or trouble spots on this 2012-13 Duke team.

Somehow I think the board is up to the task;)

This thread is hilarious. We've started out the season in one of the more exciting fashions in years, and somehow we're concerned about having too many wings next year.

Having said that, I will voice my concern about true forwards. Mason (who has exceeded all of my hopes so far this season) and Ryan will leave BIG holes next year. I still find it hard to believe we lost out on Randle. It seems there should be some minutes for the taking.

But with Quinn running the point, I think he'll find a way to win.

dragoneye776
12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
This thread is hilarious. We've started out the season in one of the more exciting fashions in years, and somehow we're concerned about having too many wings next year.

Yes we started the season great and I am highly impressed with everything that has happened. But is there not allowed to be discussion for next year? Perhaps it is too early and we should continue to laud the success of this year's team. But I thought this board was to discuss and analyze current and future situations.

hudlow
12-02-2012, 10:52 AM

"Attack of the PF Glut!"

There's a vigil in here somewhere.....

timmy c
12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes we started the season great and I am highly impressed with everything that has happened. But is there not allowed to be discussion for next year? Perhaps it is too early and we should continue to laud the success of this year's team. But I thought this board was to discuss and analyze current and future situations.

Who is preventing you from discussing next year?

Does anyone think that we are recruiting too heavily on wing players?

I am in agreement with Greg Newton, never gonna happen!

The reality is that injuries (Seth Curry), transfers (Gbinjie, Elliot Williams), Red-shirts (Dawkins), and guys leaving early (Irving, Rivers), are a reality of college basketball, even for Duke.

Injuries
All the players that have been listed are guys that can play multiple positions. If a starter is hurt, Duke has the flexibility to adjust. In addition, Duke can go 5-on-5 in practice, without Seth and Marshall, because they have that flexibility to overcome injuries.

transfers
If a player is concerned about getting recruited over, he probably shouldn’t be playing D-1 ball at the highest level. As it has been said in other threads (I’m looking at you – Alex Murphy thread fans!!!) you earn your minutes on the floor – no free lunches.
Players leave for allot of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with playing time. Having a stable of players who can play multiple positions is the most prudent solution for this issue.

red-shirts
Not every player who is on scholarship suits up. I imagine that Duke will use continue to employ a strategy that involves recruiting guys who don’t play on day one. Seth Curry was a huge advantage for the 2010 championship squad, despite never playing a minute. Rodney Hood might be having that same kind of impact this year. Murphy and Marshall both sat last year. Dawkins is sitting this year.

early entry
not gonna even speculate - but it's always possible.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I am very troubled by the prospect of Mason, Ryan and Seth all going pro after this year. Has K planned for that scenario?

Indoor66
12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I am very troubled by the prospect of Mason, Ryan and Seth all going pro after this year. Has K planned for that scenario?

I think he started a vigil in the offices.

timmy c
12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I think he started a vigil in the offices.

Petition the NCAA for a fifth year of eligibility? ;)

JNort
12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Does anyone think that we are recruiting too heavily on wing players? Out of our players who can play SF or PF next year:

More PF
Josh Hairston
Amile Jefferson
Jabari Parker (if he comes)
Alex Murphy
Rodney Hood
Semi Ojeleye
Rasheed Sulaimon
More SF

If Gbinije had stayed, we would literally have had eight wing players next year. While this makes us deep, I'm afraid it'll cost us in recruiting other wing players and cause transfers due to lack of playing time. If you look at Duke's offer's for the 2014 class (http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/150/class/2014/page/offers), we are literally recruiting two more SF's: Justise Winslow and Theo Pinson. After Mason is gone, the only player taller than 6'8 will be Marshall, causing a lack of depth at the center position. In the next two years, the only new tall guy that could come is Jahlil Okafor, and he is being recruited by Kentucky, OSU, MSU, UNC, and a lot of other schools. Should we be concerned about the lack of incoming bigs?

Well you said that can play sf or pf which eliminates Rasheed who is a combo guard which is neither a sf or pf. Josh who is strictly a pf and will receive 0 pt at sf. Rodney Hood who is primarily a sf or sg. Semi will prob not play at all until he become a sophmore or junior and should realize that.

JNort
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM

Marshall, Amile, Rasheed

Greg_Newton
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I would also note that so far this year we have been out rebounded by 290-282 and if you take out the Delaware game, the gap widens. (Some may disagree with my stats, be wary of your sources.) We will be vulnerable to stronger teams that can score in the paint, we always have been and it is an obstacle that can be overcome.

Finally, I would say that you quote me out of context. I used the phrase "true or not" as a disclaimer to that statement, because I don't necessarily agree with it. But we generally we don't recruit athletes that appear physically strong, which again goes to the whole "can't coach big men" meme. Lance Thomas as our 4 was out muscled in most situations. He worked hard and moved well(footwork/positioning), but he wasn't moving players out of the way. Amile Jefferson as a 4 fits into the Lance/Tony Lang category as a rebounder. So, while we may be recruiting lots of wings, as Clara Peller used to say, "Where's the beef?"

As for the first point, that's a gap of 1 rebound per game against the toughest schedule in the country. That said, rebounding does concern me for this team; however, it's almost entirely a function of weakside rebounding from the wings. Having a 6'8 SF and 6'4-6'8 SG does worlds for rebounding, and it's not like we'd even be losing much next year by replacing Ryan Kelly with a 6'8 combo forward anyway. Honestly, I think MP3-Parker-Hood-Sulaimon-Cook would be a better rebounding team than our current lineup.

As for the second point, I would argue that length and athleticism is more important in basketball than strength, especially in the ACC, and especially with Duke's active, high-pressure, high-possession style of play. There's a reason we didn't recruit Kennedy Meeks. I do hope we get another big man for the "one in" role, but I'm not concerned with the bulk of the "four out". Not sure what the specific issue you're worried about is.

Saratoga2
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
As for the first point, that's a gap of 1 rebound per game against the toughest schedule in the country. That said, rebounding does concern me for this team; however, it's almost entirely a function of weakside rebounding from the wings. Having a 6'8 SF and 6'4-6'8 SG does worlds for rebounding, and it's not like we'd even be losing much next year by replacing Ryan Kelly with a 6'8 combo forward anyway. Honestly, I think MP3-Parker-Hood-Sulaimon-Cook would be a better rebounding team than our current lineup.

As for the second point, I would argue that length and athleticism is more important in basketball than strength, especially in the ACC, and especially with Duke's active, high-pressure, high-possession style of play. There's a reason we didn't recruit Kennedy Meeks. I do hope we get another big man for the "one in" role, but I'm not concerned with the bulk of the "four out". Not sure what the specific issue you're worried about is.

I argue for a balanced team. My opinion is that our best bet would be to have a couple of PG capable guards. Quinn and Tyler would do and Rasheed looks like he could also perform that role.

We will have at least three shooting quards. That would include Rasheed, Matt Jones and Andre.

We will have at least three candidates for small forward in Rodney Hood, Semi Ojeleye and Andre (not yet including Jabari Parker

We will have Alex Murphy and Amile Jefferson at the PF with Josh also a possible there

We really will only have MP3 at C/PF with Josh as a backup.

Within each of those groups there is flexability and also many can play additional positions. The one area I think is underpopulated is having another Large and strong inside presence. I would be out beating the bushes for another of that type for next year. Losing Julius Randle was unfortunate and I don't see another coming along until Jahlil Okafor comes along the following year. Lets hope the staff has something in mind

gep
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Actually, I thought that the pick-and-roll Todd had with Tyler was "perfect". My first thought was that the play would be a "teaching point" for the team. GO TODD!!!!

oh... and GO DUKE too!!!!

COYS
12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I argue for a balanced team. My opinion is that our best bet would be to have a couple of PG capable guards. Quinn and Tyler would do and Rasheed looks like he could also perform that role.

We will have at least three shooting quards. That would include Rasheed, Matt Jones and Andre.

We will have at least three candidates for small forward in Rodney Hood, Semi Ojeleye and Andre (not yet including Jabari Parker

We will have Alex Murphy and Amile Jefferson at the PF with Josh also a possible there

We really will only have MP3 at C/PF with Josh as a backup.

Within each of those groups there is flexability and also many can play additional positions. The one area I think is underpopulated is having another Large and strong inside presence. I would be out beating the bushes for another of that type for next year. Losing Julius Randle was unfortunate and I don't see another coming along until Jahlil Okafor comes along the following year. Lets hope the staff has something in mind

Jim Sumner has mentioned the possibility of adding a one year grad student transfer (kind of like how Duke looked at Oriakhi for a while this past offseason when it was unclear whether Mason was going to jump to the NBA or not) as an option for next year. We haven't seen Marshall play, but it is encouraging that the staff seems very high on him. If the staff were able to land a big bodied player for one year as insurance, I think the roster will be very well rounded next year. With Tyler and Quinn holding down the fort at PG and a one year player plus Josh and Marshall anchoring the post, Duke would be well rounded enough, in my opinion, especially given the versatility of the personnel at positions 1-4. One could imagine a lineup of Rasheed, Rodney, Alex, Amile, and Marshall seeing the floor from time to time (again, assuming no Jabari). That lineup stands 6'4, 6'8, 6'8, 6'8, '6'11. It gives up a little size at the PF spot where either Alex, Amile, (or Josh) give up a little height against some college PFs. However, those guys would also tower over the other team at the other positions. I doubt a lineup like that would see the floor all that frequently as I expect Quinn to continue to develop and be one of the mainstays and I also expect Rasheed to demand even more court time next year assuming he continues on his current, impressive trajectory. However, the option to play really big will be available. Our 2010 lineup was similarly constructed with great size at the 1-3 and 5 spots and Lance representing a slightly undersized but extremely versatile defender at the 4 spot.

timmy c
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Actually, I thought that the pick-and-roll Todd had with Tyler was "perfect". My first thought was that the play would be a "teaching point" for the team. GO TODD!!!!

oh... and GO DUKE too!!!!

It's obvious that Todd is already providing plenty of "teaching points". Mason faces Todd everyday in practice--look how much improvement Mason has shown! :D

NSDukeFan
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Having said that, I will voice my concern about true forwards. Mason (who has exceeded all of my hopes so far this season) and Ryan will leave BIG holes next year. I still find it hard to believe we lost out on Randle. It seems there should be some minutes for the taking.

But with Quinn running the point, I think he'll find a way to win.
I believe the two sentences I bolded above are highly correlated. Because the team has started the season out so well, there isn't nearly enough gnashing of teeth about this year's squad, so we will have to look to the future for potential problems. We could also look to complain about the NCAA tournament and how one game could potentially eliminate this team, even if it would be better in a best of seven series. I think we should start petitioning the NCAA right now for that change.

I have also heard that Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton have both talked about leaving after next season.

johnb
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
...The one area I think is underpopulated is having another Large and strong inside presence. I would be out beating the bushes for another of that type for next year...Lets hope the staff has something in mind

There just aren't very many 7 foot guys graduating from high school every year. If you factor in that they have to run fast, play hard, and practice daily for years and that they have to be a strong student, I'd guess the number of big man prospects for Duke hovers below 5/year. Since all 5 will get offered from everywhere, the fact that we get one a year is pretty impressive...

Kedsy
12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Since all 5 will get offered from everywhere, the fact that we get one a year is pretty impressive...

Well, yeah, except we don't really get one a year, do we?

Since 2003 (11 years), we've only gotten seven recruits 6'9 or taller to come to Duke (Josh McRoberts, Eric Boateng, Brian Zoubek, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Marshall Plumlee), and three of them have been Plumlees. Plus one of them transferred and one of them has been described as the "biggest shooting guard in America." In the past seven years, our only big man recruits have been the three Plumlees and Ryan.

Having said all that, I agree with you that our recruiting has been and continues to be very impressive. But we don't get a big man a year.

davekay1971
12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Since 2003 (11 years), we've only gotten seven recruits 6'9 or taller to come to Duke (Josh McRoberts, Eric Boateng, Brian Zoubek, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Marshall Plumlee), and three of them have been Plumlees. .

Highly inconsiderate of the Plumlees to stop at 3 kids...

roywhite
12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Highly inconsiderate of the Plumlees to stop at 3 kids...

Just keeping up with the Joneses, so to speak...in this case, the Zellers.

Pretty interesting to see those two tall, talented broods come along at roughly the same time, and in the same state.
A Hoosier version of Hatfields vs McCoys?

davekay1971
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Just keeping up with the Joneses, so to speak...in this case, the Zellers.

Pretty interesting to see those two tall, talented broods come along at roughly the same time, and in the same state.
A Hoosier version of Hatfields vs McCoys?

After what Cody and the Hoosiers did to UNC, I'm ready to adopt Cody into the Duke family!

throatybeard
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
The title of this thread made me wonder if Eastwood was in another film, one where he's a basketball scout.