PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Delware (Dec. 1, 2012)

JBDuke
12-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 88-50 win over Delaware?

southgater
12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Gotta be Todd. For all of the practice player/bench warmers in the world (or at least on the board). Way to go big fella!

ScreechTDX1847
12-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Sheed. He probably has more natural talent than anyone on the team and is unguardable when he wants to attack. The ceiling is sooooooo high for him.

timmy c
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Gotta be Todd. For all of the practice player/bench warmers in the world (or at least on the board). Way to go big fella!

Loved the Pick-N-Roll from Todd, but it looks like he needs to ask Mason for some freethrow advice.

OldSchool
Sheed. He probably has more natural talent than anyone on the team and is unguardable when he wants to attack. The ceiling is sooooooo high for him.

He's only a freshman but he uses a ball screen as well or better than any of our other guards. Watch him hit the rolling big at 17:43 of the first half.

DukieInKansas
For me, there was only one choice. He may not have scored the most points, had the most rebounds/blocks/steals, or led in any character. After so many practices working his rear end off, Todd Zafirovski scored his first points at Duke. That amount of effort and dedication makes him my MOTM.

Thank you, Todd!

Dukeblue91
12-01-2012, 04:13 PM

I agree completely with that assessment.
He is an incredible talent and exceeded all my expectations I had for him coming into Duke.

ScreechTDX1847
12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Has this poll become a "who are you most proud of" poll?

Saratoga2
12-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Mason, Ryan and Rasheed. All three had monster games. I gave the nod to Kelly, since he deserves to get a MOTM this year.

timmy c
12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Mason, Ryan and Rasheed. All three had monster games. I gave the nod to Kelly, since he deserves to get a MOTM this year.

I went with Ryan too. His early aggressive play set the tone for the game.

oldnavy
12-01-2012, 04:26 PM

My vote as well. Kid is/going to be special...

mapei
12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I voted for Ryan. Mason had the most impressive game of any Duke player, as I suspect he will in every game he plays.

Every starter played well, and I don't fault anyone for picking sentimental favorite Todd. But Ryan has been in a bit of a shooting slump that ended against OSU and was buried today. He ended up with the same point total as Mason. It was exciting to be reassured that he's still a scoring threat.

jipops
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I went with Tyler for his stellar defense and 10 assists. Delaware as a team only had 3.

superdave
12-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Loved the Pick-N-Roll from Todd, but it looks like he needs to ask Mason for some freethrow advice.

He'll be cracking the rotation after a few more games like today!

devildeac
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Cast my ballot for MP for the stat sheet he stuffed today but will not argue with anyone who voted for Kelly, Sulaimon or TT with his 10 A. Got nice burn for Amile and Alex, too. Hopefully their confidence grows as they play in games like this.

Native
12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Todd is Godd.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Alex Murphy. First career points (10, including his first 3)! Also ~7 rebounds and at least one block, and that was a thing of beauty! This kid can be special. Today he played like he did in high school - a Singler-like game! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

1999ballboy
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
So really the MOTM was probably Ryan overall, but I figured that if there's a game to give it to a bench player, it would have to be this one.

I went with Amile. It was more than just the points; he was aggressive on the boards and played a really solid all around game. I'm excited to see what this kid does!

Newton_14
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I went with Ryan. Very versatile offensive game today. Scored from many ways. Mason was a beast again, and Rasheed had a stelllar game. No one played bad which is becoming a trend for this team. This is one of my favorite teams in a long time. Going to be a special year.

Big Pappa
12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Alex Murphy. First career points (10, including his first 3)! Also ~7 rebounds and at least one block, and that was a thing of beauty! This kid can be special. Today he played like he did in high school - a Singler-like game! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Agree completely, and I went with Alex as well. No doubt that Ryan and Mason had "bigger" games, but I think we will look back on this game for Alex and see just how big it was for our team's success.

Newton_14
12-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Agree completely, and I went with Alex as well. No doubt that Ryan and Mason had "bigger" games, but I think we will look back on this game for Alex and see just how big it was for our team's success.

I agree. I was there and was just waiting waiting waiting for something good to happen for Murph. Once he saw the ball go through the hoop that first time, it broke the ice for him. He stopped thinking and just played. I thought that corner 3 going down was huge as well. From there he started attacking. The blocked shot happened on the end of the court we were sitting at, and we could see it developing. Alex saw what was coming, got in position, and made a great play there with the block.

Given Seth's health, we need both Alex and Amile to develop into contributors. They bring two drastically different styles, but both can help add another element to an already really good team. Both were impressive today. They just need to build on it.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM

I agree that Alex had a coming out party, and after his first basket suddenly became a different player. He had a drive from the top left three point line that did not go down, but was quick and powerful. His confidence was evident, and potent. Even if a bit raw, which is to be expected from a freshman.

I am very happy for Alex and hope he builds on it. Coach obviously has confidence in him.

Kedsy
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
I didn't vote for him, but Todd Z went out there and had what I believe was the first triple-single of his Duke career (points/rebounds/blocks). I have no problem with people acknowledging that feat.

MCFinARL
12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I didn't vote for him, but Todd Z went out there and had what I believe was the first triple-single of his Duke career (points/rebounds/blocks). I have no problem with people acknowledging that feat.

Agreed. I did vote for Todd, and this is why--There were good efforts by so many players in this game that no other single player clearly demanded my vote. And Todd Z's first score (along with, as you note, a triple-single) provides an opportunity to acknowledge how hard he works in practice and as a "cheerleader" for the players on the floor, and how important that contribution is to the team as a whole, though less visible than the ones made by the guys getting the minutes.

Dev11
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Agreed. I did vote for Todd, and this is why--There were good efforts by so many players in this game that no other single player clearly demanded my vote. And Todd Z's first score (along with, as you note, a triple-single) provides an opportunity to acknowledge how hard he works in practice and as a "cheerleader" for the players on the floor, and how important that contribution is to the team as a whole, though less visible than the ones made by the guys getting the minutes.

Ditto.

I almost always vote in these MOTM polls, but rarely do I think more than 2 seconds about it, I just do it on impression when the game ends. In a game like this where we beat an over-matched opponent by over 30 (you know, like that game in Cameron in 2010 against Chapel Hill), nobody really singly can be responsible for the win. Everybody played well (except maybe Josh just fouling everything in sight), so my vote goes to the one guy who definitely outperformed any projection of his statistical output in this game (Alex coming in second in that regard), Todd. He will likely never win another one of these important polls in his career, so here you go big fella.

hudlow
12-03-2012, 11:19 AM
It's not an option but my vote goes to the bench. Everyone had a breakout game.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Did anybody notice how BIG QC looked when he guarded Delaware's 5'8" point guard? I couldn't stop noticing it throughout the game. And boy did his defensive pressure do a number on them.

O&B Sheep