PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 88, Delaware 50 Post-Game Thread

pfrduke
12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Post your thoughts here

And props to Zafirovski for getting on the board.

mr. synellinden
12-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Post your thoughts here

And props to Zafirovski for getting on the board.

Delaware can take solace in the fact they only did 6 points worse than UNC.

Dukeblue91
12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Nice game and nice to have just about everyone play and score too.

devildeac
12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Funniest thing was seeing the ads for Hardee's chicken tender combo meals as we devoured/carved up/roasted/broiled/grilled the Blue Hens. One early complaint: too many fowls called on us.;)

DukeGirl4ever
12-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Loved seeing Amile and Murph step up off the bench. They looked in rhythm out there.

If anyone can find me a picture of the "Mason Plumlee for Heisman" poster, I would appreciate it! That was classic!

Festus
12-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice game and great to see Andre Dawkins sitting behind the bench with his engaging smile.

FerryFor50
12-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Love the bench contribution, but I'm not sure how much we can make out of it because Delaware was extremely overmatched.

However, it does build confidence - both for the players and for the coaches in the players' ability to perform in-game.

Alex looked good after starting out shaky. Amile looked good throughout but needs to build some strength.

Happy to see that we're developing depth!

Saratoga2
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Absolute beat down by Duke, without Seth available and with the subs playing a large part of the game. I had thought the subs would get a lot of PT in this portion of the schedule and it certainly was the case today. Even Todd got 5 minutes and 2 points.

As far as player of the game, it is probably Mason, who did it all today. On the other hand, Ryan was a scoring machine out there and Rasheed was great.

Rasheed is amazingly quick and could easily be a PG, he is that good with the ball and getting it to players in scoring position. He is also a slasher, an outside shooter and an excellent defender. What a great addiiton he is right now to Duke.

Hairston showed he is capable of giving meaningful minutes this year.

Our defense was too much for Delaware, with the guards putting so much pressure on their ball handlers.

The big unknown was how would our bench players Amile and Alex do. We saw today they are very good indeed. Despite his slender frame, Amile was in their fighting for the ball and he was scoring off of a lot of inside plays. How many points did he get? I know it was well into double figures. Even our subs were too much for Delaware.

Then there was Alex who seemed to energize, like the bunny, once he put in his first Duke points. That block said it all. The guy is quick and athletic, fought for rebounds and showed he can score when he plays freely

loran16
12-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Funniest thing was seeing the ads for Hardee's chicken tender combo meals as we devoured/carved up/roasted/broiled/grilled the Blue Hens. One early complaint: too many fowls called on us.;)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Couldn't watch the game, but loved seeing the reserves not only do well, but add greatly to the lead after the starters left. Good show guys.

CDu
12-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Absolute beat down by Duke, without Seth available and with the subs playing a large part of the game. I had thought the subs would get a lot of PT in this portion of the schedule and it certainly was the case today. Even Todd got 5 minutes and 2 points.

As far as player of the game, it is probably Mason, who did it all today. On the other hand, Ryan was a scoring machine out there and Rasheed was great.

Rasheed is amazingly quick and could easily be a PG, he is that good with the ball and getting it to players in scoring position. He is also a slasher, an outside shooter and an excellent defender. What a great addiiton he is right now to Duke.

Hairston showed he is capable of giving meaningful minutes this year.

Our defense was too much for Delaware, with the guards putting so much pressure on their ball handlers.

The big unknown was how would our bench players Amile and Alex do. We saw today they are very good indeed. Despite his slender frame, Amile was in their fighting for the ball and he was scoring off of a lot of inside plays. How many points did he get? I know it was well into double figures. Even our subs were too much for Delaware.

Then there was Alex who seemed to energize, like the bunny, once he put in his first Duke points. That block said it all. The guy is quick and athletic, fought for rebounds and showed he can score when he plays freely

Agree with everything but the Hairston comments. He did get 6 rebounds, but he fouled out in 11 minutes against a mediocre opponent. Not that he was terrible or anything, but I wouldn't have come away from today's game saying Hairston showed he is capable of meaningful minutes this year (at least not from this game).

Loved the way Sulaimon played. I had a discussion a few days ago with someone who felt Sulaimon was a bit of a "black hole" when the ball found his hands. I disagreed then, and I especially disagree after today's game. He had some terrific looks.

Dukeblue91
12-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Agree with everything but the Hairston comments. He did get 6 rebounds, but he fouled out in 11 minutes against a mediocre opponent. Not that he was terrible or anything, but I wouldn't have come away from today's game saying Hairston showed he is capable of meaningful minutes this year (at least not from this game).

Loved the way Sulaimon played. I had a discussion a few days ago with someone who felt Sulaimon was a bit of a "black hole" when the ball found his hands. I disagreed then, and I especially disagree after today's game. He had some terrific looks.

How can anyone think that he is a black hole?
He has always showed a willingness to share the ball since being at Duke.

Phoenix22
12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Sulaimon The Magnificent

HDB
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
23 assists today (on 35 made baskets). I know Delaware was a pretty weak opponent but that is mighty impressive and continues a trend that we're seeing with regularity this year (and rarely, if ever, saw last year).

Olympic Fan
12-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Easy to dismiss this beatdown because it was just Delaware ...

But these guys are not horrible. They beat Virginia in Charlottesville, They lost to Kansas State by three points in Madison Square Garden. They lost to Temple at Temple by five.

They were the No. 2 preseason pick in the Colonial Athletic . This is a veteran (except for their freshman PG, who was overwhelmed), talented team.

Not saying a top 25 opponent or anything, but this was a solid mid-major (they'll probably be in the top 100 of the RPI tomorrow).

Duke made them look like a bunch of clowns -- that's more a reflection on how well Duke played than how weak Delaware is or is not.

It was a seriously impessive win.

kostar
12-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Nice game and great to see Andre Dawkins sitting behind the bench with his engaging smile.

Yess! It was great to see Andre at the game behind the bench smiling! It was said in different articles and such that he might stay away from the games for this season, to help deal with the getting everything together again. It's great to see that kids bright smile! I hope he's doing well! Can't wait to see that stroke back on the Cameron hardwood next season!

sagegrouse
12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
23 assists today (on 35 made baskets). I know Delaware was a pretty weak opponent but that is mighty impressive and continues a trend that we're seeing with regularity this year (and rarely, if ever, saw last year).

Another credit to our defense: Delaware had only three assists on 18 buckets. That's a 17 percent assist to FG percentage.

I think everyone, including K, is pleased he was able to play everyone and that Amile and Alex had long enough runs to develop some comfort on offense.

sagegrouse

wallyman
12-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Great to see both of them get the minutes and have the impact. Amile is really long and active, reminds me of Cornbread Maxwell -- to go way back.
Alex looked really good too and as good as the game was seeing the team leave the court with Ryan's arm draped around Alex's shoulder and both of them with huge smiles on their face. Missed seeing Andre but great that he was there too. Oh, and that Rasheed fellow seems to have some potential, too. He's gonna be a monster.

devildeac
12-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Couldn't watch the game, but loved seeing the reserves not only do well, but add greatly to the lead after the starters left. Good show guys.

Well, at least there weren't too many cheep (sic) ones this afternoon:o.

wallyman
12-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Well, at least there weren't too many cheep (sic) ones this afternoon:o.

And Todd got in the ESPN game highlight clips! How cool.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Fun game today, and so many positives for this team! Great defense, solid offense, and Murphy and Jefferson got some serious burn! (That's playing time for the uninitiated http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif ) So nice that Murph FINALLY scored his first career points, and then went on to get 10! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/16.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif And Amile showed quick, intelligent moves around the basket, completing many of them for points! He was able to recognize an opening to the basket, and capitalize on it! So nice to see in a freshman. How many times have we complained about (young, and not so young) big men not being able to put it in the hoop when opportunities were there? He's going to be a stud for us as he matures and gains strength.

Furniture
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
It looks like we have a great bench!

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 05:45 PM

You would expect someone named "Furniture" to say that.

;-)

uh_no
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM

if we keep playing them as many minutes as we did today, though, they'll have tired legs come march

Native
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM

;-)

Fantastic. Well played, OPK.

Des Esseintes
12-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Yeah, I was wrong about that. Happy to be so.

Big Pappa
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Huge game again by Mason - 18 points, 11 boards, 3 blocks, and a steal in 24 minutes of action. We're almost beginning to take this for granted from Mason, but what he is doing is truly remarkable.

Two more things that really stuck out to me in the game were: (1) Ryan shooting the ball really well. He (by his own admission and the stats) started out a little cold shooting this season, but has really begun to find his stroke over the last couple of games. I don't think it can be overstated how HUGE this is for us going forward. Ryan is an absolute force when he is hitting jumpers, and we saw how much he holds the team together down the stretch last season.

(2) Amile and Alex off the bench. 12 and 6 for Amile, and 10, 7, a steal and a big block for Alex were so great to see for both of these guys. Aside from the numbers, which were great in and of themselves, they also both showed the ability to play either the 3 or 4 effectively. To have two guys who can step in and play either of those positions as we move into December is big for us.

I know I said only two, but I have to add that I cheered the loudest for Todd Z. Incredible to see him get a bucket and a block out there after all he has done for this team over the last four years.

devildeac
12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
if we keep playing them as many minutes as we did today, though, they'll have tired legs come march

But it will provide a nice cushion for our starters;).

Greg_Newton
12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
They're playing so well that we've run out of things to complain about.

Defense continues its incredible improvement. That wasn't a bad team - giving up 15 points in the first 19 minutes is incredible, especially after the stretch we've had.

Ryan killing from midrange was nice (could have been a little tougher on the boards, though).

Really happy for Murphy. He still didn't look quite right on offense to me, but it's great to see him on the right track.

I didn't notice Thornton's 10 assists, but good for him.

Pretty much know what we're going to get from everyone else, in a good way. Took care of business and looked dominant.

miramar
12-01-2012, 08:18 PM
But it will provide a nice cushion for our starters;).

considering that our best player is named Mason.

You guys need some new material.

camion
12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Wow!

I don't know of a team that has has such a good start to a season. Before this game we had played, and won, the equivalent of an entire NCAA tournament.

The bench play in this game showed that we can get better.

And then there's Marshall. He's more than just a crack(ed) interviewer.

Ah, good times. :D

Saratoga2
12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow!

I don't know of a team that has has such a good start to a season. Before this game we had played, and won, the equivalent of an entire NCAA tournament.

The bench play in this game showed that we can get better.

And then there's Marshall. He's more than just a crack(ed) interviewer.

Ah, good times. :D

Seth didn't play today. We have both Marshall and Seth to round this team out. Both Amile and Alex are quality players who just need seasoning and game experience.

dukeballboy88
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
This team is good. I love watching them play. Everybody seems to be playing at a high level right now and its fun to watch!

I was chatting with a unc fan and we were talking about Suilamon and I kept saying how good he is. The unc fan said well he will be gone after this year. I was like no way. But then I got to thinking about it, so far I havent seen a better guard in college hoops. I doont even want to think of Rasheed being a 1 and done but at this pace, could be possible?

jipops
12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd also like to give added props to Thornton for his career high 10 assists to go with his 3 steals. On a team with several leaders he is one of them. It has been a pleasure watching this veteran group so far. You can really tell they know each other well and what area of the floor each likes the ball. K has a different tone in the post game interviews than he did last year, he sounds like he's having a blast with this team. Rasheed has implemented himself as well as anyone could possibly ask and then some. What he brings to the table has beaten my expectations. There aren't many wings at the college level that are equally adept at spotting up and scoring off the bounce, especially freshmen. His overall guard skills are really advanced.

Also a good move to give Seth the rest. I know the ankle was mentioned but I kind of have the feeling he wouldn't have played anyways even if he had not turned the ankle Wednesday night. We may need him against Temple. Hopefully he can get substantial rest after that heading into January. I would think a solid month of limited playing time would do him good.

J_C_Steel
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
If it would be at all beneficial to Seth Curry to have him rest the entire month of December, I'd be all for it. I simply don't know enough about his injury to comment on whether the rest would help or hurt (through loss of conditioning, court feel, etc.).

I've been pleasantly surprised in both this game and the Ohio State game with how easily Sulaimon stepped up his offensive game in Curry's absence (he was out against Delaware and MIA against OSU). After struggling in the first half against the Buckeyes, Sulaimon has looked very comfortable as a primary scoring option for the Blue Devils. His maturity is off the charts for a freshman. He doesn't have Austin Rivers' first step (who does?), but he just seems to have a better head for the game.

If Duke just gets one of Amile Jefferson or Alex Murphy to play 20 minutes a night during ACC play, the bench will look a lot better and take some of the load off of the starters.

Atlanta Duke
12-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I was chatting with a unc fan and we were talking about Suilamon and I kept saying how good he is. The unc fan said well he will be gone after this year. I was like no way. But then I got to thinking about it, so far I havent seen a better guard in college hoops. I doont even want to think of Rasheed being a 1 and done but at this pace, could be possible?

Based on these post-game comments K certainly recognizes the most talented players do not hang around college ball for long

Krzyzewski was asked after the game how he gets players to accept their status as role players.

"If they are great players, they wouldn’t be here, they would be in the NBA right now," he said. "They all have development to go through and they have to develop under people that they trust, and if you tell them the truth all the time they have a better chance of trusting you.

"Each guy is on his own race to becoming better, and they run their individual races as we are collectively running our race. The collective race is much more important than your individual race, and you can’t compare your race with another guy."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/postgame-thoughts-from-dukes-88-50-win-over-delaware

My guess is K will be candid with Suilamon next spring as to whether his college race has been run

Cameron
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
How good can Rasheed Sulaimon become? Really. How good can this kid ultimately be? The rate at which he is progressing is scary.

Rasheed might not only be the best all-around scorer on this team, which I believe he is -- he can just devastate you offensively in so many ways, from pretty much any spot and angle on the floor -- but he is also quickly developing into one of our best all-around offensive generators. The way Rasheed was dancing around defenders and whirling passes through traffic to cutters today was absolutely breathtaking, an exhibition of pinpoint passing the likes of which we haven't seen since Irving and Duhon. He was getting everyone involved that he could. To put it simply, he is awesome with the ball in his hands. He may have the quickest handle of any Duke player since Jason Williams. He's not as fast as Kyrie, but his dribble is just as sudden. There hasn't been a single player this year from any of the three top five teams Duke has faced that has been able to contain Rasheed's bounce. And the best part is, more times than not, he uses that fleeting ability to evade defenders to find openings for his teammates that have resulted from that defensive breakdown. Rasheed recorded six assists today, but, if not for a few no-look darts in transition that surprised our guys as much as they did defenders, he might have had more than 10. He has completely bought into the philosophy of the Duke Fist, something that his predecessor, Austin Rivers, despite the wonderful things he did in a Blue Devils uniform, never did. That's the reason why we haven't skipped a beat and in fact have gotten better since Austin's departure.

The blind wrap-around pass to Mason in the lane early on was the play of the day. Rasheed might not have eyes in the back of his head, but I think he may have a camera. A brilliant effort by the freshman this afternoon.

And it was great to see Ryan Kelly get his swag back from deep. He just wrecked the Delaware zone in the first half with radar accuracy from the elbow and that eventually got him feeling the rhythm again from outside. That triple he stepped into late in the first stanza right in the chin of two defenders, oh, that was beautiful. What confidence. Good to see it back.

Edouble
12-01-2012, 09:17 PM
The way Rasheed was dancing around defenders and whirling passes through traffic to cutters today was absolutely breathtaking, an exhibition of pinpoint passing the likes of which we haven't since Irving and Duhon.

He may have the quickest handle of any Duke player since Jason Williams. He's not as fast as Kyrie, but his dribble is just as sudden.

Agree, but I would say the same things about Quinn this season. Both guards have been outstanding and both have had Top Play-type highlight moments. I think Rasheed may be slightly quicker, but I think Quinn's left might be slightly better. I wouldn't really argue it that hard though, as I honestly don't care... both have been great and I am so happy to have such a lethal backcourt again!

Kedsy
12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
If Duke just gets one of Amile Jefferson or Alex Murphy to play 20 minutes a night during ACC play...

Don't hold your breath.

roywhite
12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Hey, Kedsy, how did you and your son enjoy the Cameron experience?

I mean other than meeting Newton?:)

papa whiskey
12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I was ecstatic to see Alex play well today.

If Jefferson can put on about 20 lbs. of muscle, he will be a monster.

CDu
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
How good can Rasheed Sulaimon become? Really. How good can this kid ultimately be? The rate at which he is progressing is scary.

I said last spring that I felt like he was probably somewhere between the sophomore year and junior year versions of Nolan Smith. He seems to be inching closer to junior year Smith with each passing game. He's just a terrific player. He can score from anywhere. He knows how to play off the ball and score (an undervalued art). He can create for others. He loves defense. He's tough. As you can probably tell, I'm a big, BIG fan. I can only selfishly hope we get to see him for another year at Duke. But you just never know.

The emergence of Cook, Sulaimon, and Plumlee has been amazing to see. Cook and Sulaimon are so dynamic with the ball in their hands. The two of them, combined with Curry, give us three guards who are very capable of creating points off the dribble. That's a weapon that cannot be undersold. Add to that the dominance of Mason inside and Kelly's versatility, and you have something potentially really special. Toss in a tough-nosed, unselfish defender in Thornton, 3 more freshmen who could just get better and better as the season progresses, and a junior big man who is not afraid to do the dirty work, and the sky is the limit.

But back to Sulaimon. I just love a player who can be a presence in so many different ways. He's an absolute keeper.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I said last spring that I felt like he was probably somewhere between the sophomore year and junior year versions of Nolan Smith. He seems to be inching closer to junior year Smith with each passing game. He's just a terrific player. He can score from anywhere. He knows how to play off the ball and score (an undervalued art). He can create for others. He loves defense. He's tough. As you can probably tell, I'm a big, BIG fan. I can only selfishly hope we get to see him for another year at Duke. But you just never know.

The emergence of Cook, Sulaimon, and Plumlee has been amazing to see. Cook and Sulaimon are so dynamic with the ball in their hands. The two of them, combined with Curry, give us three guards who are very capable of creating points off the dribble. That's a weapon that cannot be undersold. Add to that the dominance of Mason inside and Kelly's versatility, and you have something potentially really special. Toss in a tough-nosed, unselfish defender in Thornton, 3 more freshmen who could just get better and better as the season progresses, and a junior big man who is not afraid to do the dirty work, and the sky is the limit.

But back to Sulaimon. I just love a player who can be a presence in so many different ways. He's an absolute keeper.

Hard to argue that Cook/Curry/Sulaimon is not one of the five best backcourts in the country.

Hard to argue that Mason/Ryan are not one of the five best front courts in the country.

Hard to argue that our coaching staff is not one of the top five in the country.

And they are all meshing well.

ArkieDukie
12-01-2012, 10:06 PM

He feasted on roasted chicken today. Maybe that will help him put on some weight.

jipops
12-01-2012, 10:09 PM

More likely he'll be 20lbs heavier. But the kid shows potential. He seems to have good hands and very long arms.

uh_no
12-01-2012, 10:12 PM
More likely he'll be 20lbs heavier. But the kid shows potential. He seems to have good hands and very long arms.

and we all know, you can't teach long arms...but then again, duke med IS best in the world...i wonder if the basketball team is funding longer-arms research

jipops
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Can't really single out just one aspect of this team that is a big difference from last season but Rasheed certainly is a major difference maker. It's not just his overall guard skills but the way he keeps the ball moving on offense. He's not just a guard that drives to finish or get fouled, he's also driving to create offense. There's also spotting up off a curl or shooting off the bounce, a very dynamic player this kid. It's just not something we're used to seeing from a freshman guard, especially one who isn't the designated point guard. As you mentioned, actually having multiple guys to break down a defense is huge for us, and something we haven't seen on a Duke team in what seems like a long, long time.

Newton_14
12-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Well, on my end, it was great to finally meet "The Master" in person! :D

On to the game. I did not expect a laugher based on the win at UVA, and Delaware projected to perform well in their league. Our guys were dominant from the gate though. The kid in the middle for Delaware could easily play in the ACC, but Mason got him in foul trouble early and he ended up being a non-factor. Very solid player though. I was not impressed with their guard that had been lighting other teams up.

Mason was a beast again, and Kelly had a breakout game. If Kelly maintains that level of play, take the notch up yet another level for this team. I am going to keep saying we have the best front-line in the country until I see somebody prove me wrong. Mason and Ryan are just darn strong as a tandem. Add to that the dynamic guard play we are now getting from Rasheed and Quinn, along with Seth when healthy and it is just a great mix. Agree with most of the comments about Rasheed. He is becoming a stud right before our eyes. Today he showed he can easily run the point if needed. Just so good in so many facets of the game. Tyler brings the toughness and defensive specialist, slash dirty work, slash disrupter, slash get in the head of the opponent factors that every great team needs. I was shocked at the 10 assists so that is a bonus. Josh brings toughness, defense, and rebounding, but just needs to cut down on the fouls. Can hit the jumper and get garbage buckets as well.

Nice to see Amile and Alex take advantage of the extended minutes as well. I thought both guys reaching double figures was huge for their confidence, and hey, 13 boards between them is promising for a poor rebounding team. I said it in the MOTM thread, but Alex seeing the ball go through the hoop, loosened him up. He needs to stay aggressive and attack. That is when he is at his best and what I saw in him in high school. He can't be just a spot up shooter. So, I will officially dub him "The Attacker".

Which leads me to the kid I have been calling The Finisher. Amile Jefferson. The guy just has a special gift. His first basket today was a thing of beauty. He caught it and quickly went right to the hoop, and used positioning and his length to make it impossible for the defender to challenge the shot and he drew the foul. Despite the lack of size and strength, he uses his craftiness to find angles to get the ball in the basket in a variety of ways, making holes where there appear not to be any. Very quick off his feet too, much like a young Antawn Jamison. Once he bulks up the guy will be hard to stop in the paint.

I love this team. Still a work in progress, and Amile and Alex still need much development. The top 7 guys will get the major minutes, but I do think Amile and Alex can develop such that they can contribute as the year progresses. Quinn, Rasheed, and Seth make for a very strong perimeter, and as I said, Mason/Ryan = one of if not the best frontline in the country. Very strong team. Defense today was suffocating on the perimeter.

Now they get a week of much needed rest, along with practice time to work on getting better. Going to be a fun team to watch develop. They will hit some bumps along the way, and the health of Curry is a concern, but lots and lots of potential with this group.

Bring on Temple for the next revenge game!

papa whiskey
12-01-2012, 10:28 PM

I really hope he does not just get heavier. He is quick and athletic. If he can gain the "right" weight the "right" way and keep his dexterity and quickness, he will be special. Lebron James is the same height and weight as many power forwards in the NBA. What makes him amazing is everything else he can do while still being 6'8" and 260 lbs.

Kedsy
12-01-2012, 10:29 PM

Well, meeting Newton was the highlight of my week, to be sure. My son's comment was "THIS IS AWESOME," in all caps, followed by, like, a hundred fifty exclamation points. Said it was the greatest basketball experience he'd ever had, and that includes the 2010 Final Four. So, I think he enjoyed it OK...

dukelifer
12-01-2012, 10:31 PM

This team is also passing very well. The creators are also sharing and this has been absent in the Duke Offense. We saw glimpses when Kyrie was healthy- but Nolan had pretty limited vision. At times this team may pass too much- but they are looking for each other. We are also seeing more defensive pressure by the guards leading to fast break points- we have not seen that as well for some time. Sulaimon and Cook are both pretty fast and Mason will out run most big guys. This should lead to a number of easy baskets.

Murphy is an above average rebounder and he needs to play inside out. He may have the ability to hang on the wing- but if he can get some easy junk baskets and bound- he can be very effective for this team. This team is looking very solid. Need to see how they do in a hostile arena in a real road game - but right now- Duke is a very confident team.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Sheed can really dish the ball well and he is quick. I think he could see some time at pg this year.

ricks68
12-01-2012, 11:43 PM

You can watch the replay on ESPN3.

ricks

billy
12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
and we all know, you can't teach long arms...but then again, duke med IS best in the world...i wonder if the basketball team is funding longer-arms research

Hey, it's been done before.... http://www.ilizarov.org/ll.pdf

Greg_Newton
12-01-2012, 11:52 PM
You can watch the replay on ESPN3.

ricks

BTW, Fox Sports South (646 DTV) is replaying the game at midnight (as in 8 minutes) if anyone missed it.

azzefkram
12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Can't really single out just one aspect of this team that is a big difference from last season...

Quinn Cook is more mature and/or healthy. We had no one last year who could consistently run the offense, especially against tougher competition. We lacked pressure at the point of attack as well. Quinn is worlds better at D then he was last year.

That being said, Sheed is impressive. He is what I expected Austin to be last year.

Biscuitboy
12-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I don't think anyone who participates in this board would have predicted the achievement this team has delivered so far this year to date. Wow.

Rasheed is the real deal. So quick, aggresive, and smart.

Mason has blossomed into a dominating post player who can covert on the foul line as well as the low block. His awareness and confidence has caught up with his athleticism. Absolutely magnificent. His transformation is fairly radical. To what do we attribute his growth?

I believe having Quinn Cook perform as a consumate classic point guard has a lot to do with it. Cook feeds his teamates in the right place at the right time.
I was not able to watch the Delaware game. I'd like to watch to see what Thornton's ten assists were like. Cook has also undergone a fairly radical transformation as well. He is playing point at a high level, from assists to rebounds to defense to scoring. When was the last time Duke had a point guard functioning as well as he has? Scheyer? Duhon? What will be really exciting is to witness his progress and performance heading into conference play. If he continues to play at the level he's reached, or better, look out!

Ryan Kelly has morphed and adjusted to suit the needs of this team. I was disappointed in his overall contribution last year. He has stepped it up a notch or two. His defense is better by a long shot. He should record 2-3 blocks a game. I think he will continue to improve on defense. He plays more aggresively and that's good. I want to see his overall savvy translate into more assists and more points. I want him to record 6-8 rebounds a game. Ohio State owned the boards in the first half of that game. What was that? Mason came back and commanded the paint in the second half. I wanted Kelly more and he was there. It looks like he had a stellar game against Delaware. Great. More Ryan when the going gets tough. He has disappeared in tough games in the past. I hope his moxie and skills allow him to be in the thick of things when it matters as we head into conference.

Seth Curry is a player. He's smooth and heady. I know he's challenged with his legs/ankle. I thought he was pretty damn gutty against OSU. It feels like the guard situation is providing him with some freedom that is unique. Cook is handling and distributing the basketball. Sulaimon is scoring the basketball. That lets Seth fill in where the team needs help. I hope he can manage his health to the extent that when we need him to score he can deliver. That he can steady and inspire his teamates when necessary. We will need his presence and skills in tough games.

Supporting cast: Josh Hairston has done fine. I want him to be Lance Thomas. They have different body types and games. I want Hairston to devour rebounding opportunities and challenge whoever he is defending. He has shown a modest flair for scoring. I want him to blend better defensively and provide an edge. Lance Thomas was aggresive and fierce. I would like to see a little more reckless abandon and physicality from Josh.

Amile is in the embryonic phase of his career at Duke. I'd like to see him play 6-10 minutes and score 4 points with 2-4 rebounds. I'm happy with that.

Alex is a bit of an enigma. Obviously, K deems that Alex's progress will happpen at a fairly slow rate. Maybe that's just his performance, not Coach. I want our team to develop more depth so that if there's foul trouble we can handle that. Alex seems to play small for his size whereas Amile (and Rasheed) play long. I'm not sure what his proper position should be. It's certainly not the 4 spot.

Marshall Plumlee is rehabbing from a foot injury. 5-7 minutes of rebounds and fouls would be an adequate contribution. Mason and Ryan are playing big minutes. Having another body to throw into the mix will help. Marshall is a completely different option than Josh.

Fnally, coaching.
I believe that the coaching staff has absolutley killed this season to date. State of the art classic Duke: smart, hard-nosed, successful strategy. The players that needed to evolve and step up have. The team is playing as a team. I LOVE the assist totals relative to last year. K has his program achieving brilliantly. 3 seniors with strong backcourt play wins. Bravo Coach! I am so excited for the rest of this season. So far, it's been fantastic!

uh_no
12-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't think anyone who participates in this board would have predicted the achievement this team has delivered so far this year to date. Wow.

I think ozzie and I (at least) serve as exceptions to your assertion :)

MChambers
12-02-2012, 08:34 AM
After yesterday's game, Duke defense is now up to #14 in Pomeroy. This game was the first in a long time where our defense absolutely disrupted the other team's offense, to the point that just getting into an offensive set was an adventure. I don't remember a team being so thoroughly flummoxed on offense since, we'll, since the last home game in the 2009-2010 season, if you remember that one. To me, our defense was the biggest news yesterday.

Like everyone else, I was tremendously impressed by Rasheed. His offense is improving by leaps and bounds. His determination to create on offense took a major leap in the second half against tOSU and continued against Delaware.

I was very happy to see Murphy loosen up in the second half. I agree with whoever said that his offense isn't there yet. His drives with the ball were pretty ugly. His jumpshot looked fine, however, and his reverse layup brought back memories of Kyle. (Sorry, couldn't resist the comparison. It's really not fair -- Murphy doesn't have Kyle's confident and fearless style of play.)

Jefferson will have a fine career at Duke. I liked someone's Cornbread Maxwell comparisons nod the Jamison comparison also makes some sense.

Indoor66
12-02-2012, 09:20 AM
I think ozzie and I (at least) serve as exceptions to your assertion :)

Me three. I have said this several times, but I REALLY like this team. The future is very bright,

davekay1971
12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Hard to argue that Cook/Curry/Sulaimon is not one of the five best backcourts in the country.

Hard to argue that Mason/Ryan are not one of the five best front courts in the country.

Hard to argue that our coaching staff is not one of the top five in the country.

And they are all meshing well.

And suddenly the bench of Hairston, Thornton, Jefferson, Murphy, and (coming soon to a basketball court near you) Marshall Plumlee look like they could become one of the top benches in the country.

We already knew that Hairston and Thornton were very capable guys who were not just able to come off the bench and provide energy, minutes, defense, and spot offensive production, but were very happy with that role. Jefferson has been consistent in coming in with energy and enthusiasm. Murphy, it appears, has been lacking nothing but confidence and an understanding of how to contribute. We'll see what Marshall has to offer, but the preseason statements from the coaches seemed to indicate they thought he would be capable of providing valuable minutes backing up his big brother.

Things are looking good in every way for this team. I will now start obsessively worrying about Seth's injuries.

uh_no
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
as proof of one of the bad things about kenpom: we shot up to #3 in kenpom this morning.

The system's big flaw is that huge wins over inferior opponents end up getting you too much weight (hence why duke was lagging in the pack despite beating such top opponents)

OldPhiKap
12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
And suddenly the bench of Hairston, Thornton, Jefferson, Murphy, and (coming soon to a basketball court near you) Marshall Plumlee look like they could become one of the top benches in the country.

We already knew that Hairston and Thornton were very capable guys who were not just able to come off the bench and provide energy, minutes, defense, and spot offensive production, but were very happy with that role. Jefferson has been consistent in coming in with energy and enthusiasm. Murphy, it appears, has been lacking nothing but confidence and an understanding of how to contribute. We'll see what Marshall has to offer, but the preseason statements from the coaches seemed to indicate they thought he would be capable of providing valuable minutes backing up his big brother.

Things are looking good in every way for this team. I will now start obsessively worrying about Seth's injuries.

Excellent points here. The bench is not filler. Each brings a talent that ramps up the game when they come in.

If you are an opposing guard, you are not looking forward to TT coming in. If you are an opposing big man, you need to race our swing men back down the court and battle with them every possession. No rest for the wicked.

pfrduke
12-02-2012, 11:57 AM
as proof of one of the bad things about kenpom: we shot up to #3 in kenpom this morning.

The system's big flaw is that huge wins over inferior opponents end up getting you too much weight (hence why duke was lagging in the pack despite beating such top opponents)

I think it depends on how you define inferior. Delaware is ranked at 114 (down 9 spots from yesterday) which certainly is not good, but is better than 2/3 of the teams in the country (including BC and Wake Forest).* The "expectation" was a 19-point win for us - we doubled that. A 38-point win over Delaware is treated differently (and should be treated differently) than a 38-point win over someone like Coppin State -a team Indiana beat by 36 yesterday but was "expected" to beat by 43. We get more credit for our margin of victory over Delaware than Indiana does for its win over Coppin State.

The other thing with Pomeroy's system is the pre-season rankings having a "bias" effect. To mitigate against the randomness of small sample size, he keeps a weight in place that pushes the team toward its preseason ranking. So even if, for example, Duke is playing like the #1 team, there will be some factor that pushes its rank down toward #9 because that's where Duke started in the pre-season. I'm not sure what the amount of weight is on any given day, but it diminishes as the system goes on and disappears entirely on January 23. Some of the movement could be attributed to getting another day further into the season, and thus a decrease in the pre-season bias.

*Delaware's ranking almost certainly assumes the team is playing with some of the players who are out injured, so the team we played yesterday is probably not the exact equivalent of the 114th ranked Blue Hens.

jimsumner
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
For me, the biggest jump for this year's team lies on the defensive end of the floor. Last year's team just wanted to outscore people. But this year, they've playing D the Duke way, confrontational, in-your-face, deny everything D.

Cook is embracing his inner-Tommy Amaker, Ryan Kelly is blocking everything in sight and opposing players are going to start losing sleep over the prospect of facing Sulaimon. And Thornton is still a junkyard dog and I mean that in the best possible way.

This narrative gets even better when Duke starts doing a better job on the defensive boards. Three-guard lineups can be vulnerable that way. Continued improvement from Jefferson and Murphy and the overdue arrival of MP3 should help alleviate that concern.

But exceptt for some health issues, I don't see how the first month could have gone much better. Just need to keep building.

uh_no
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I think it depends on how you define inferior. Delaware is ranked at 114 (down 9 spots from yesterday) which certainly is not good, but is better than 2/3 of the teams in the country (including BC and Wake Forest).* The "expectation" was a 19-point win for us - we doubled that. A 38-point win over Delaware is treated differently (and should be treated differently) than a 38-point win over someone like Coppin State -a team Indiana beat by 36 yesterday but was "expected" to beat by 43. We get more credit for our margin of victory over Delaware than Indiana does for its win over Coppin State.

The other thing with Pomeroy's system is the pre-season rankings having a "bias" effect. To mitigate against the randomness of small sample size, he keeps a weight in place that pushes the team toward its preseason ranking. So even if, for example, Duke is playing like the #1 team, there will be some factor that pushes its rank down toward #9 because that's where Duke started in the pre-season. I'm not sure what the amount of weight is on any given day, but it diminishes as the system goes on and disappears entirely on January 23. Some of the movement could be attributed to getting another day further into the season, and thus a decrease in the pre-season bias.

*Delaware's ranking almost certainly assumes the team is playing with some of the players who are out injured, so the team we played yesterday is probably not the exact equivalent of the 114th ranked Blue Hens.

I think where the model breaks down at some point, though. While there may be some difference between a 20 and a 30 point win, at some point, a blowout is a blowout. You might play teams of the same caliber 3 times in a row, sometimes win by 25 and sometimes win by 50. As with everything else, there is a point of diminishing returns.

It also depends on the type of team. If we play against a small team that isn't super bad, but has no bigs, we might put up a gazillion points by dumping it inside all the time. While it was a great offensive output for that game, it's not necessarily reflective of the offense in most games.

I think this year's UK team is a perfect example. They absolutely beat the snot out of the couple bad teams they've played. But when they got to the relatively good teams, they don't produce (either on O or D) nearly as well. So if they hadn't played baylor and ND yet, they'd probably be at the top of the rankings. Some speculate this effect is why wisconsin always ends up so overrated by kenpom.

I had thought that we were ranked so low in kenpom despite our SOS simply because we hadn't had the chance to blow out bottom feeders (like indiana has all season...and I think UNC counts at this point), and that amount we moved after crushing delaware relative to the amount we moved after beating OSU and UL was enormous, despite the fact that the latter two games likely were more telling of what this team is capable of.

I'll be the first to say I love kenpom....any time you can use numbers to remove "gut feeling" from the equation, I think it's a good thing. I think the takeaway, though, is that no numerical system is perfect, and especially in the early season games where teams have played such radically different schedules (in terms of opposition strength), it's very difficult to compare two teams unless they've played eachother....obviously this all evens out when we get into the conferece play....i have no doubt indiana's SOS will rise up there in the B1G.

Indoor66
12-02-2012, 01:03 PM
For me, the biggest jump for this year's team lies on the defensive end of the floor. Last year's team just wanted to outscore people. But this year, they've playing D the Duke way, confrontational, in-your-face, deny everything D.

Cook is embracing his inner-Tommy Amaker, Ryan Kelly is blocking everything in sight and opposing players are going to start losing sleep over the prospect of facing Sulaimon. And Thornton is still a junkyard dog and I mean that in the best possible way.

This narrative gets even better when Duke starts doing a better job on the defensive boards. Three-guard lineups can be vulnerable that way. Continued improvement from Jefferson and Murphy and the overdue arrival of MP3 should help alleviate that concern.

But exceptt for some health issues, I don't see how the first month could have gone much better. Just need to keep building.

...and maybe that 7' Plumlee could be of assistance?

Edouble
12-02-2012, 01:27 PM

I think that Jefferson getting more minutes at the 3 has the potential to increase our defensive rebounding, but I don't see how MP3 will do that. I assume that MP3 will mainly be spelling Mason (and possibly Ryan, although I think Hairston's work has been very good this year and I think he will continue to get into the games), probably only for 5-6 minutes a game. Mason is already averaging double digits in rebounding and is one of the best players in the country. It looks like the guy is gonna play 35 minutes/game. I don't see MP3 getting a few bench minutes for his older brother improving our overall rebounding.

I know Coach K said that MP3 was in our top 6, but he also said some pretty glowing things about Alex (which is of course, for another thread), and he is hard pressed to get minutes right now. My point is that with Ryan and Mason playing as one of the best tandems in the country, I don't see MP3 grabbing many minutes. The minutes he does grab, I don't think he'll improve on the rebounding that we already have at the position that he plays.

I agree that the spot to improve the rebounding is with a bigger wing that will probably be the 5th option on offense, eg Murphy or Jefferson.

COYS
12-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I think where the model breaks down at some point, though. While there may be some difference between a 20 and a 30 point win, at some point, a blowout is a blowout. You might play teams of the same caliber 3 times in a row, sometimes win by 25 and sometimes win by 50. As with everything else, there is a point of diminishing returns.

It also depends on the type of team. If we play against a small team that isn't super bad, but has no bigs, we might put up a gazillion points by dumping it inside all the time. While it was a great offensive output for that game, it's not necessarily reflective of the offense in most games.

I think this year's UK team is a perfect example. They absolutely beat the snot out of the couple bad teams they've played. But when they got to the relatively good teams, they don't produce (either on O or D) nearly as well. So if they hadn't played baylor and ND yet, they'd probably be at the top of the rankings. Some speculate this effect is why wisconsin always ends up so overrated by kenpom.

I had thought that we were ranked so low in kenpom despite our SOS simply because we hadn't had the chance to blow out bottom feeders (like indiana has all season...and I think UNC counts at this point), and that amount we moved after crushing delaware relative to the amount we moved after beating OSU and UL was enormous, despite the fact that the latter two games likely were more telling of what this team is capable of.

I'll be the first to say I love kenpom....any time you can use numbers to remove "gut feeling" from the equation, I think it's a good thing. I think the takeaway, though, is that no numerical system is perfect, and especially in the early season games where teams have played such radically different schedules (in terms of opposition strength), it's very difficult to compare two teams unless they've played eachother....obviously this all evens out when we get into the conferece play....i have no doubt indiana's SOS will rise up there in the B1G.

I think the bigger factor in our jump was the fact that teams 8-2 are all extremely tightly ranked by KenPom. I actually thinks KenPom has smaller jumps for big wins over inferior competition as he expects and controls for how much a team's efficiency should improve against poor competition. However, when teams are as closely bunched as they are at the top of the KenPom rankings right now, an impressive performance against a moderately inferior team can change the Pythagorean rankings enough for a big jump in the rankings without a correspondingly huge jump in the Pythagorean winning percentage numbers.

Greg_Newton
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm rewatching Murphy's minutes and he actually did most of the little things really well - very quick and alert on rotations and such. Sulaimon lost his man when a shot went up and Murphy jumped in front of him and tipped the rebound to teammates (not a play Curry could have made from the weak side). Thornton lost his man on a baseline cut and Murphy jumped out from the screener to contest the shot. Forced two turnovers off of rotating off doubleteams, made several nice penetrating passes.

I don't know what his rebounding percentages are, but I think he'll eventually be a pretty good rebounder, too. He boxes out as well as anyone, and makes good cuts to the rim when shots go up on offense.

Still looks shaky when he has the ball to me and I don't trust his shot (too much arm and releases the ball on the upswing before he flicks his wrist), but it's definitely encouraging to see him getting the "glue" stuff right.

moonpie23
12-02-2012, 06:18 PM
i was glad to see the bench get some burn yesterday......much better to give them some minutes when the game is almost put away than making them carry a train wreck......confidence is valuable...

BD80
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM

;-)

The unvarnished truth

Indoor66
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
The unvarnished truth

...and a hardwood observation.

jimsumner
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
...and a hardwood observation.

Pledge?

Indoor66
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Pledge?

Too sour.

elvis14
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Finally got around to reading this thread. Sounds like lots of us really enjoyed yesterday's game. I think what we saw yesterday is what lots of us have been asking for when we talk about getting playing time for Amile and Alex. I really enjoyed watching these two guys score in double digits. I said "Welcome to Duke, Alex Murphy" when he blocked the !#%$# out of that shot. It was so good to see these guys get extended playing time. I really believe that this will pay off later in the year. Murphy, in particular, has needed the game to slow down for him and I saw that, finally, after he was in for a while yesterday. Other observations:

Mason is a beast, and he was a man among boys when he was in the game.
Rasheed is just a really good all around player. He really helps complete this team
I loved the work Ryan did with the mid-range jumpers yesterday. As cools as it is that he can hit some 3's, I feel like his mid-range game is what we can use to take the team to the next level.
Still really like QC, he's a really good PG and good things just happen around him. Oh and I love that he really looks like he is having fun. The kid loves to play the game. That's great stuff.
I think we have a lot of guys on this team that compliment each other really well and as everyone continues to improve, we should be able to match up with lots of different teams.
And, of course, it was great to see Z jr. get a bucket

Newton_14
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm rewatching Murphy's minutes and he actually did most of the little things really well - very quick and alert on rotations and such. Sulaimon lost his man when a shot went up and Murphy jumped in front of him and tipped the rebound to teammates (not a play Curry could have made from the weak side). Thornton lost his man on a baseline cut and Murphy jumped out from the screener to contest the shot. Forced two turnovers off of rotating off doubleteams, made several nice penetrating passes.

I don't know what his rebounding percentages are, but I think he'll eventually be a pretty good rebounder, too. He boxes out as well as anyone, and makes good cuts to the rim when shots go up on offense.

Still looks shaky when he has the ball to me and I don't trust his shot (too much arm and releases the ball on the upswing before he flicks his wrist), but it's definitely encouraging to see him getting the "glue" stuff right.

Agree on all points. I was at the game so I watched Alex a lot on defense instead of following the ball, and noticed those two step ins you detailed live. As for his offense, the mid-range jumper off the little curl screen was my favorite play for him. That looked smooth and natural. When he gets in games, I think he should drive to score or get fouled before attempting a 3 to help get himself in the flow.

MChambers
12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I think we have a lot of guys on this team that compliment each other really well and as everyone continues to improve, we should be able to match up with lots of different teams.
[/LIST]
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you meant "complement". Or did you mean that Quinn says "nice dunk" after Mason says "great pass"?

elvis14
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you meant "complement". Or did you mean that Quinn says "nice dunk" after Mason says "great pass"?

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for the correction. Sadly, it's an error I've made before. Although, QC might throw out "nice dunk" here and there as well.