PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Delaware Pre-Game/In-Game Thread

Newton_14
11-30-2012, 11:15 PM
The Blue Hens are 2-5, but won at Virginia, and have played a pretty tough schedule. Below is a blurb from this article (http://sportschatplace.com/college-basketball/ryan/2012/december/1/duke/delaware/) that gives a nice summary.

The Delaware Blue Hens come in with a 2-5 record and have lost 4 straight games to Lafayette, Temple, Pittsburgh, and Kansas State. All of Delaware’s games have come on the road or a neutral site and they have wins over Virginia and Penn. In their last outing against Lafayette, the Blue hens rallied from a 20-point deficit to within three points, but a last second shot would’t go down. Delaware allowed Lafayette to shoot 46% from the field, while the Blue Hens shot 36% from the field. Delaware loves to shoot the three, and they only connected on 8 of their 27 three-point attempts in this one. The Blue Hens did out rebound Lafayette 41-26, led by F Hagins who grabbed a career-high 23 rebounds. Hagins also scored 18 points and blocked five shots in the loss. Delaware averages 67 points per game, while their opponents are average over 71 points per game. The Blue Hens have shot over 45% from the field and over 30% from behind the arc so far this year. Delaware has -5 turnover ratio and +2 rebound margin so far this season. G Saddler is leading the way for the Blue Hens averaging over 22 points per game. Delaware is slightly undersized, but their athletic ability tends to make up for it in the front court.

The line is 18, but in this day an age, we should never sleep on any opponent. Our guys will have to go out and play ball as Delaware will not roll over. Mason should get a nice challenge from the Hagins kid, and Saddler has been lighting teams up going for over 30 on 2 occasions.

Hopefully our guys will not be hungover from the big win late Wednesday night, and come out sharp and focused. I am looking forward to the game. I am taking a new friend who is a huge Duke fan but has never seen a game in Cameron, and also getting to meet my DBR buddy Kedsy in person for the first time, so really excited about that, and I hope all 3 of us have reason to celebrate at the end.

Let's Go Duke!

Kedsy
11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
The Blue Hens are 2-5, but won at Virginia, and have played a pretty tough schedule. Below is a blurb from this article (http://sportschatplace.com/college-basketball/ryan/2012/december/1/duke/delaware/) that gives a nice summary.

The line is 18, but in this day an age, we should never sleep on any opponent. Our guys will have to go out and play ball as Delaware will not roll over. Mason should get a nice challenge from the Hagins kid, and Saddler has been lighting teams up going for over 30 on 2 occasions.

Hopefully our guys will not be hungover from the big win late Wednesday night, and come out sharp and focused. I am looking forward to the game. I am taking a new friend who is a huge Duke fan but has never seen a game in Cameron, and also getting to meet my DBR buddy Kedsy in person for the first time, so really excited about that, and I hope all 3 of us have reason to celebrate at the end.

Let's Go Duke!

Yeah, it's my son's first visit to Cameron and we're both really excited. Looking forward to meeting Mark, too.

-bdbd
11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Looks like we are up against the Saddler and Hagins show...
Not a lot of size and not much depth. Delaware shoots a ton of 3's and is not exactly defense-oriented. Finally a game Duke should (they better!) win the battle of the boards. Maybe the first time this season we were bigger than the opponent at the 3 (and every other position too!!). K has said that was something that we were going to address, and if nothing else they'll get a confidence boost in that department on Sat. Delaware, to give the credit, has played a really tough schedue... and lost big in the last 2 games to Temple and Pitt.

Delaware Projected Starters:
10 Devon Saddler (6-2, 210, Jr.) - 21.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg
12 Terrell Rogers (5-8, 160, Fr.) - 5.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg
13 Kyle Anderson (6-2, 195, So.) - 7.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg
33 Carl Baptiste (6-9, 245, Jr.) - 4.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg
44 Jarnell Hagins (6-9, 235, Sr.) - 13.0 ppg, 13.4 apg
Reserves:
04 Jarvis Threatt (6-2, 165, So.) - 10.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg
32 Josh Brinkley (6-6, 250, So.) - 7.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg
21 Marvin King-Davis (6-7, 210, Fr.) - 1.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg

Here is the Scout preview:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1245334.html

loran16
11-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Let's Go Duke!

Pomeroy has Duke by 19. Delaware is ranked 103 in Pomeroy (Duke is 5), so they're a non-tourney team, but not an awful one. Their "strength" is offense - which is above average if not particularly good. They're below average in 3 of the four offensive factors (Shooting, Getting to the Free Throw Line, and avoiding turnovers), but make up for it with offensive rebounding...which is our bane. That said, they're not THAT good at offensive rebounding, ranking 76th in the Country.

But where Delaware's offense is their strong suit, their D is basically average (171st). They're average in 3 of the four defensive factors (opponent's FG%, Defensive Rebounding, and avoiding putting opponents on the foul line), but are abysmal at forcing turnovers (300th in the country). In other words, Quinn Cook should have some fun as should the rest of the guys, as Delaware is unlikely to prevent Duke from taking shots at all.

Individually, Pomeroy suggests that Delaware is enormously reliant upon one player: Junior Guard Devon Saddler (21.4 PPG). He plays nearly every minute, and takes 1/3 of their shots - he's in the top 20 in both percentage of team shots taken and possessions used of players so far. And to his credit, he's actually efficient at doing so - he's an elite shooter, but he draws a lot of fouls and knocks down FTs at an 80% clip.

The other two guys to look out for are Jamelle Hagins (Senior Forward) and Jarvis Threatt (Sophomore Guard). Threatt takes more shots and is used in a LOT of possessions (over a 1/4 of his team's) - for comparison's sake, no DUKE player has the usage rate, considering both Possession usage and shot%, of Threatt and he's the 2nd most used player on the team. Like Saddler he draws a decent amount of fouls, but unlike Saddler, he's a LOUSY shooter - so he's tremendously inefficient. Duke would prefer that Threatt shoot as much as possible really.

Hagins is another story. He's 6'9" 235 Pounds, and plays clearly an inside game, and he's REALLY REALLY good. He's a monster rebounder (ranking 2nd in defensive rebound % in the country, 57th in offensive rebound %), doesn't commit a lot of fouls, shoots 64% from 2 (doesn't shoot 3s), and is an 89.5% FT shooter this year (though he was only a 66% FT shooter the last two years). Seriously, those are some monster #s. He had 18 points and 23 rebounds in that game against Temple which they lost by 3 and played all 40 minutes. He's also good at blocking shots.

So on Defense, the keys are Hagins and Saddlor. Cook probably guards Saddlor, though Sulaimon may get some of the job as well. Mason will be guarding Hagins and will obviously have the most important job on defense - Hagins is a monster when he gets the ball - it's just that Delaware doesn't get him the ball much.

NOTE: Two DE players, Brinkley and Threatt didn't lay in their last game on Wednesday due to injury. As such, it's really really REALLY the Hagins and Saddlor show. Handle em well, and we'll kill them.

tommy
12-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Here are a few little tidbits on this matchup, that have no relevance to anything:

The teams have only met once before, and it was in Cameron. Duke won, but only by 6.

Pizza pie for anyone who can name Duke's leading scorer in that game. No looking it up. Only hint: game was played in the 1990's.

OK another hint: you probably blocked out the fact that this player led us in scoring in any game, ever.

Bob Green
12-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Hopefully the team is focused and intense. After marque games such as Kentucky, Louisville and Ohio State, the team could be emotionally drained.

DukieInKansas
12-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Is the game at 2 per Goduke.com schedule or at 9:30 per DBR front page?

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Here are a few little tidbits on this matchup, that have no relevance to anything:

The teams have only met once before, and it was in Cameron. Duke won, but only by 6.

Pizza pie for anyone who can name Duke's leading scorer in that game. No looking it up. Only hint: game was played in the 1990's.

OK another hint: you probably blocked out the fact that this player led us in scoring in any game, ever.

I will guess Cherokee Parks.

David Henderson was their coach at the time, I think.

jv001
12-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Is the game at 2 per Goduke.com schedule or at 9:30 per DBR front page?

Per GoDuke.com and TWC the game is at 2pm. GoDuke!

JBDuke
12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

I would guess Greg Newton.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-01-2012, 09:43 AM
erik meek or carmen wallace

MChambers
12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll second that, but only as a wild guess.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 09:46 AM
erik meek or carmen wallace

The last clue made me think of Erik as well. Kid always showed a lot of heart, got dealt a bad hand with his off-court injury.

tommy
12-01-2012, 10:33 AM

You are correct, sir. He had 24 to go along with 9 rebounds.

Pizza for you.

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
can anyone provide an online link where the game can be seen? Don't see it listed on comcast's 800 channels.
thx

Edouble
12-01-2012, 12:22 PM
can anyone provide an online link where the game can be seen? Don't see it listed on comcast's 800 channels.
thx

My Comcast has it on Fox Sports South, channel 48 in the ATL.

I am curious to see how Seth does in this one. I thought his play was pretty horrible against OSU. Don't know if his leg was hurting or what, but that missed pass and the forced threes were flexin'. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not start, whether to rest his leg, or because his play was so far below the rest of the team on Wednesday. Whether or not Tyler Thornton gets the nod over Seth today, I am not completely sold on Seth not practicing and just playing in games. We hear so much about how important practice is in Duke basketball. I don't know if the AI approach will work for the whole season.

Saratoga2
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM

I am curious to see how Seth does in this one. I thought his play was pretty horrible against OSU. Don't know if his leg was hurting or what, but that missed pass and the forced threes were flexin'. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not start, whether to rest his leg, or because his play was so far below the rest of the team on Wednesday. Whether or not Tyler Thornton gets the nod over Seth today, I am not completely sold on Seth not practicing and just playing in games. We hear so much about how important practice is in Duke basketball. I don't know if the AI approach will work for the whole season.

Yes, Seth had a poor game against OSU. It may have been attributed to his leg issues or just the length and athletic ability of the OSU guards. Whatever it was, don't forget that Seth was instrumental in our winning several big games this year and we will need him to be good and to keep winning. It is easy for us to be confident about this team after such a terrific start, but an off night from Mason could cause us some heartaches. Having Seth's scoring would give us 4 scorers, even with Mason having an off night.

Saying that, I think Duke has a big advantage over Delaware in today's game. We shall see as the game is still played on the court.

nmduke2001
12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Directv dropped fox rocky mountain here, so I don't have access. Per ESPN.com, it does look like it might be on ESPN3. Hopefully I can catch it there.

RoyalBlue08
12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, Seth had a poor game against OSU. It may have been attributed to his leg issues or just the length and athletic ability of the OSU guards. Whatever it was, don't forget that Seth was instrumental in our winning several big games this year and we will need him to be good and to keep winning. It is easy for us to be confident about this team after such a terrific start, but an off night from Mason could cause us some heartaches. Having Seth's scoring would give us 4 scorers, even with Mason having an off night.

Saying that, I think Duke has a big advantage over Delaware in today's game. We shall see as the game is still played on the court.

Seth isn't playing today due to the ankle injury he picked up in the OSU game.

uh_no
12-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Seth isn't playing today due to the ankle injury he picked up in the OSU game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nagging leg injury didn't come into play a bit as well. I would expect limited december minutes from him.

Dukeblue91
12-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Considering that he also did not play many minutes and had that real bad slip that made him fall really hard, I'd say it has everything to do with his leg.

riverside6
12-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Delaware, starters are posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14468

Curry is not in the starting lineup, Thornton is starting in his place.

jv001
12-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Delaware, starters are posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14468

Curry is not in the starting lineup, Thornton is starting in his place.

Thanks for the stats. I hope we get off to a good start and Alex and Amile get more minutes today. GoDuke!

HateCarolina
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Curry is out with "left ankle injury" per ESPN alerts. Is this different in addition to the ongoing lower leg injury?

Also the game is on the Fox Sports channel here in Atlanta (848 Comcast HD), so others may want to check their normal fox sports station. It seems like the raycom style broadcast which is usually on a different channel down here on Atlanta; for what that is worth.

deezl
12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
How are folks watching this? Goduke.com sends you straight to WatchESPN and that tells me the event is blacked out it my area. What gives? Is this on TV somewhere that I don't know about?

Here in Fayetteville it's on Channel 1508 Fox Sports South.

Cameron
12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
How are folks watching this? Goduke.com sends you straight to WatchESPN and that tells me the event is blacked out it my area. What gives? Is this on TV somewhere that I don't know about?

It's blacked out on the local channels in North Carolina, I believe due to the game being on ESPN Full Court. Could be wrong about that, though.

If you have the sports package on Dish Network (which can be had for $4 a month right now), as I do, the game is available on channel 434 (NESN). It only takes Dish about 10 minutes to conduct the upgrade. Well worth it, if that option is available to you.

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Xbox ESPN app has almost all of the games to my knowledge, I'm waiting on an update to see if the game is on.

mapei
12-01-2012, 02:10 PM
It's on CSN in the DC area, Verizon FiOS 576.

mapei
12-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Not to jinx it or anything, but so far this one is *not* looking to be a comeback victory.

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I've got it on the ESPN App on Xbox - I have UVerse, so we get that option. Hope this helps someone.

mapei
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
"Alex's Army" can be pleased that their man is already in the game, along with Amile & Josh.

nocilla
12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
thx

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/156572/1/watch-delaware-vs-2-duke.html#

Kimist
12-01-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm watching the game (Raleigh area) via TWC Channel 1508 (FSN-South).

BTW: Would someone please tell those talking heads commentators that most folks do not refer to ~2pm as "tonight." So far it's occurred at least twice.

k

billy
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
What was the flagrant? Andre is here. Marshall in his boot with a bone stimulator.

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/156572/1/watch-delaware-vs-2-duke.html#

thanks very much!

Indoor66
12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I LIKE this team.

MChambers
12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
What was the flagrant? Andre is here. Marshall in his boot with a bone stimulator.

Elbow to Jiggy's face. Not intentional, in my view, but the rule is the rule.

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
nice ball fake and shift to put the Blue Hen on the floor. He gets better every game.

mapei
12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Clinic.

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Curry is out with "left ankle injury" per ESPN alerts. Is this different in addition to the ongoing lower leg injury?

Also the game is on the Fox Sports channel here in Atlanta (848 Comcast HD), so others may want to check their normal fox sports station. It seems like the raycom style broadcast which is usually on a different channel down here on Atlanta; for what that is worth.

He rolled his ankle late in the game against OSU. I suspect that he's still sore from that. So yes, different from the leg problems.

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
"Alex's Army" can be pleased that their man is already in the game, along with Amile & Josh.

All it took was an injury to Curry to make it happen! :)

Seriously, we only have 3 guards, so it makes sense to go to Murphy.

That said, he's getting extended minutes today. Not doing much, though.

uh_no
12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
man....plumlee just got fouled going for the reverse dunk....oh well.

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Plumlee closing in on a double double... in the first half.

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Sulaimon has been very good so far today, but he missed an easy dunk opportunity for Mason on the last possession when he kicked it to Cook in the corner. Oh well.

CoachJ10
12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I haven't caught who the announcers are...anyone know?

uh_no
12-01-2012, 02:53 PM

i don't know either, but one of them always fools me into thinking it's coach k...

freshmanjs
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
i don't know either, but one of them always fools me into thinking it's coach k...

mike hogewood and eddie fogler

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Mike Hogewood is one of them. Didn't catch who the other is.

RoyalBlue08
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Duke 3-13 from 3 point range. Live by the 3.......well it doesn't really matter if we hit them!

jv001
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Mike Hogewood is one of them. Didn't catch who the other is.

I think it's eddie unc fogler. GoDuke!

uh_no
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Duke 3-13 from 3 point range. Live by the 3.......well it doesn't really matter if we hit them!

our last two games from maui were lackluster from 3, OSU first half was lackluster...today as well

i'm beginning to think that threes aren't our thing so much....given, seth being hurt/out doesn't help....but we're scoring points...so i don't even care

CDu
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Well, 20 minutes in and one thing is for sure: our bigs are better than their bigs. Mason with 13 and 9, with 2 blocks and a steal. Kelly with 15.

Lots of early minutes for our bench. They didn't do a heck of a lot while they were in there, but they got some run with Curry sitting out.

jv001
12-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, 20 minutes in and one thing is for sure: our bigs are better than their bigs. Mason with 13 and 9, with 2 blocks and a steal. Kelly with 15.

Lots of early minutes for our bench. They didn't do a heck of a lot while they were in there, but they got some run with Curry sitting out.

And I will add, our defense is looking very good. I really like this team. GoDuke!

ArnieMc
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
It's on CSN in the DC area, Verizon FiOS 576.In Newport News, VA, it's blacked out on ESPN3 and on FiOS 576 (HD). It's available only on FiOS 76 (SD). Go figure.

CDu
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
And I will add, our defense is looking very good. I really like this team. GoDuke!

Yeah, the defense was absolutely fantastic. They took Delaware out of the game right away. Nice to make this one a laugher early. No need to have a stressful game as we near winter break!

Dukeblue91
12-01-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't know what else there is to say other then our 3pt shooting and sad that Amile fouled himself out of some good playing time.
Surprised how sharp we look.
Oh and that one announcer sounds just like Coach K. ;)

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh and that one announcer sounds just like Coach K. ;)
I thought it was Steve Lapdog, at first; but its Ed Fogler

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 03:16 PM
wow, nelly!

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 03:19 PM
wow, nelly!

Yes please!

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 03:21 PM
has a couple moves
How tall is he; looks LONG out there

CDu
12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
has a couple moves

He's "only" 6'7" or 6'8". Standing next to Hairston, he appears shorter than Hairston. But he seems much longer.

dchen09
12-01-2012, 03:36 PM
has a couple moves

According to Adidas nations camp, he's 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan. But, he's only around 200 lbs.

Cameron
12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Rasheed getting absolutely everybody he can on the team involved today with the passing of a wizard. He is amazing. The kid is amazing.

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
On the board!! Woohoo!

Phoenix22
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Sulaimon The Magnificent!

and

"Tuck your shirt in!"

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Rasheed getting absolutely everybody he can on the team involved today with the passing of a wizard. He is amazing. The kid is amazing.

Plays with his team; what a concept!

Les Grossman
12-01-2012, 03:41 PM
nice looking drive for teh Murph!

FerryFor50
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Sulaimon is amazing. So glad he chose Duke!

Cameron
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Rasheed may be the best all-around scorer in the ACC. He's the best on Duke. Mason is our most dominant, but Rasheed has the versatility that allows for him to create pretty much any type of play he wants from anywhere on the floor. His handle is as good and as fast as Kyrie Irving. Not better, but as good.

MChambers
12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I actually like Fogler as an announcer, despite his background.

chaosmage
12-01-2012, 03:50 PM
With the block!!!

dchen09
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Now if Todd develops into a Zoubek style rebounding mountain man.....

wtm001
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
One of the announcers just called Tyler "Andre Thornton"

freshmanjs
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
One of the announcers just called Tyler "Andre Thornton"

yeah, announcers make mistakes sometimes.

gwlaw99
12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Rasheed may be the best all-around scorer in the ACC. He's the best on Duke. Mason is our most dominant, but Rasheed has the versatility that allows for him to create pretty much any type of play he wants from anywhere on the floor. His handle is as good and as fast as Kyrie Irving. Not better, but as good.

I'm as much of a Rasheed fan as anyone, but his handle is not on Kyrie's level. Only a few in the NBA on Kyrie's level.