PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid destroys Chapel Hill, UConn to take its place in ACC

JasonEvans
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
There has been a bit of chatter about this over the past 24 hours. I am getting nervous.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2012/11/30/3710442/georgia-tech-approved-by-big-ten-conference-expansion

-- Jason "if Tech leaves the ACC and I don't get to watch ACC games in Atlanta, I am going to burn their campus to the ground!!" Evans

Class of '94
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
There has been a bit of chatter about this over the past 24 hours. I am getting nervous.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2012/11/30/3710442/georgia-tech-approved-by-big-ten-conference-expansion

-- Jason "if Tech leaves the ACC and I don't get to watch ACC games in Atlanta, I am going to burn their campus to the ground!!" Evans

No other credible outlets to my knowledge is reporting this; but it doesn't mean it isn't true (see MD rumors to the BIG 10). I'm still holding out hope that this report will not be true and that the Presidents' pledge to keep each other in the loop about being contacted by other leagues holds true.

Even if true, I have to believe that ultimately this wouldn't be a surprise to the other ACC schools since GT to the BIG has been rumored for sometime. And if true, it makes me wonder what school the BIG will go after next since I can't imagine staying at 15 for long. Kansas was rumored to be part of 4 schools (including UVA, UNC and GT) that the BIG was courting. If UNC and UVA stay true to their pledges to the ACC, it will be interesting to see if Kansas becomes that 16th team, which would put that whole "grant of rights" talk into question as far as keeping the BIG 12 together; and would throw the BIG 12 into a tailspin.

On a side-note, if we're inevitably heading to 4 16-team superconferences, shouldn't it be the 64 best college football teams? I'm sorry but I don't see a league with Rutgers, MD and GT as a "superconference".

theAlaskanBear
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
No other credible outlets to my knowledge is reporting this; but it doesn't mean it isn't true (see MD rumors to the BIG 10). I'm still holding out hope that this report will not be true and that the Presidents' pledge to keep each other in the loop about being contacted by other leagues holds true.

Even if true, I have to believe that ultimately this wouldn't be a surprise to the other ACC schools since GT to the BIG has been rumored for sometime. And if true, it makes me wonder what school the BIG will go after next since I can't imagine staying at 15 for long. Kansas was rumored to be part of 4 schools (including UVA, UNC and GT) that the BIG was courting. If UNC and UVA stay true to their pledges to the ACC, it will be interesting to see if Kansas becomes that 16th team, which would put that whole "grant of rights" talk into question as far as keeping the BIG 12 together; and would throw the BIG 12 into a tailspin.

On a side-note, if we're inevitably heading to 4 16-team superconferences, shouldn't it be the 64 best college football teams? I'm sorry but I don't see a league with Rutgers, MD and GT as a "superconference".

Ahh but don't you see -- these are the feeder teams to be ground into Win-sauce for teams like Ohio St, Michigan, etc. Why invite potential rivals into a conference when you can take solid but unspectacular programs that will not be a threat to the original B1G football programs.

Wander
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM

What makes you think Rutgers and Georgia Tech aren't part of the top 64 college football teams/programs? Rutgers has been in the top 25 for most of the season, GT has one of the longest streaks of bowl seasons in the country.

Class of '94
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
What makes you think Rutgers and Georgia Tech aren't part of the top 64 college football teams/programs? Rutgers has been in the top 25 for most of the season, GT has one of the longest streaks of bowl seasons in the country.

Rutgers has not been a perennial top 25 program; they're not ranked now and lost to Louisville last night which cost them a BCS birth. GT needed a waiver-approval to go to a bowl this year. They lost to Middle Tennessee St, got blown out by Georgia; have not been relevant nationally since Bobby Ross and the mid 90s.......

If you want to bring up recent success.....I think would argue for teams that are better than them in the discussion for the top 64 teams. And btw, am I supposed to believe that Indiana, Kentucky and Kansas have top 64 football programs as well?

Btw, I know I reaching with this last comment; but I would argue that UConn and Cincinnati currently have better upward football trends based on recent performance in the regular season and bowl games than GT right now. Don't get me wrong, GT has greater long-term potential; but right now, the best part of the GT program right now is the Atlanta market they supposedly bring.

cspan37421
11-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Ahh but don't you see -- these are the feeder teams to be ground into Win-sauce for teams like Ohio St, Michigan, etc. Why invite potential rivals into a conference when you can take solid but unspectacular programs that will not be a threat to the original B1G football programs.

Then we should be getting an invitation very soon.

Actually I did hear a rumor yesterday of Duke and UNC to the ___ (forgot, SEC or Big Ten. May have been the latter b/c I think Gary compared us to Northwestern). I think it was reported by Gary Braun on Tony Kornheiser's show, though immediately scoffed at since we don't exactly bring a ton to the table football-wise (yet). Your idea is interesting and although the RDU media market is not trivial but we don't bring a ton of traveling alumni and cable-watching, light-beer buying couch potatoes to the feast. They'd do better to invite NCSU and UNC, frankly, if it's all about dollars. It's not like having Duke in your conference helps the overall conference GPA and keeps the conference out of trouble.

So I don't think finding teams to beat is a big part of expansion talk. It's about money ... and that means TV markets and alumni base.

Wander
11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Rutgers has not been a perennial top 25 program; they're not ranked now and lost to Louisville last night which cost them a BCS birth. GT needed a waiver-approval to go to a bowl this year. They lost to Middle Tennessee St, got blown out by Georgia; have not been relevant nationally since Bobby Ross and the mid 90s.......

Do you know how many BCS teams there are right now? 68, or 69 if you include Notre Dame. There's no way one can argue that Georgia Tech and Rutgers are in the bottom 4 or 5 football programs of that group. Georgia Tech and Rutgers make the cut of 64 best programs, and, while they're not in the top group or anything, it's not particularly close.

sporthenry
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Rutgers has been to 7 bowl games in 140 years. Prior to 2005, they had been to 1 other bowl game in 1978. In 1997, they had 0 wins and in '02 they had 1 win. They are certainly on the upswing, but they don't have much of a history.

But it is teams like Colorado, Kentucky, Indiana, and even Duke who don't fit the mold of great football programs. So Duke is going to have to hope they can bargain their way into a super conference. But I agree that there will be some teams that make it into the 64 who don't belong and the geography of a 64 team conference won't make any sense.

But I'm also not sure there will just be 4 conferences of 16. I think theoretically there is enough for 5 conferences but as things go, 1 of those conferences will probably be extremely weak in football.

Olympic Fan
11-30-2012, 12:23 PM
So I don't think finding teams to beat is a big part of expansion talk. It's about money ... and that means TV markets and alumni base.

Right now, it's about markets -- not so much alumni base - and certainly not strength of the program.

Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten proved that -- neither is an especially impressive football program (despite Rutgers brief flirtation with the top 25 this year), but both bring huge markets.

That's why Florida State is not an SEC target (even though the 'Noles would love to be). Great program, yes ... but the SEC doesn't need another great program. They need a new market -- and they already have the primary school in the state of Florida. Adding FSU would only mean an insignifcant rise in revenue -- not convering the cost of splitting their revenue package with another school. The same reasoning explains why the SEC would not be interested in Clemson (they already have South Carolina) or Georgia Tech (they already have Georgia).

On the other hand, North Carolina is fertile ground for both the Big Ten and the SEC. It's not jut the Triangle market -- but the state has three top 50 national markets and only the Triangle market is home to a BCS football team. UNC drives viewership throughout the state -- that makes them a big prize.

I suspect all the talk about a Duke-UNC package is the suspicion that UNC would be more likely to jump ith Duke on board. While all this is football driven, basketball does generate revenue and few schools generate more revenue than UNC and Duke ... their rivalry is a valuable property.

Still, I think if either league could get UNC, that would give them the North Carolina market. They are the big prize in this thing. I know that a lot of NC State people would love to have an offer from the SEC. I honestly don't know whether or not the SEC would be interested in NC State -- they have a nice following, but state-wide they are nowhere near the Tar Heels.

I hope the reports are wrong about Georgia Tech ... I was interested that when the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers, they bragged about how the new members were in contiguous states with existing members. No way to make that work with Georgia Tech. Now if they can add a Virginia school and a North Carolina school ...

BD80
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
... http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2012/11/30/3710442/georgia-tech-approved-by-big-ten-conference-expansion

Urban Renewal, Jason style.

freedevil
11-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Jason Sherman?

Class of '94
11-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Do you know how many BCS teams there are right now? 68, or 69 if you include Notre Dame. There's no way one can argue that Georgia Tech and Rutgers are in the bottom 4 or 5 football programs of that group. Georgia Tech and Rutgers make the cut of 64 best programs, and, while they're not in the top group or anything, it's not particularly close.

I respectfully disagree with in that Rutgers is a top 64 FB program. I'm sorry but a few good seasons out of mostly bad doesn't constitute a top 64 FB program imo. AGain, GT has the better shot but one could argue that they are not in the top 64 this year based on the results of this season.

sporthenry
11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I respectfully disagree with in that Rutgers is a top 64 FB program. I'm sorry but a few good seasons out of mostly bad doesn't constitute a top 64 FB program imo. AGain, GT has the better shot but one could argue that they are not in the top 64 this year based on the results of this season.

Well if Georgia Tech is one of the top 70 teams in the sense that it makes a bowl and there are more than 4 BCS teams at home, his original point stands. He isn't comparing Rutgers to Boise State or Kent State, he is comparing Rutgers to Duke, Kentucky, Colorado, or Indiana.

Ultimately, the problem with this is that I'd say there are probably over 70+ programs who are viable as D-1 BCS programs. So if you go to 64, you'll be cutting 6-8 programs but if you go to 5 conferences, then you have 5 conferences which poses a problem in itself and you'll have to add teams like Georgetown to D-1 football or add someone like USF to a BCS conference (although I guess they are technically in one now).

rthomas
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I respectfully disagree with in that Rutgers is a top 64 FB program. I'm sorry but a few good seasons out of mostly bad doesn't constitute a top 64 FB program imo.

Louisville football can qualify for the same statement: occasionally good, mostly sucks.

edit: actually most of the ACC teams qualify for the same statement.

edit: actually most of the teams in the country qualify for the same statement.

sagegrouse
11-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Jason: The Georgia Tech writer's twitter source is backtracking like crazy. The original source was the WVa fan site, which -- others say -- has almost always been wrong.

sagegrouse

TexHawk
11-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Texas or OU leaving the Big12 = tailspin. I doubt KU and our 50K football stadium would be noticed. ;)

In all seriousness, even if you ignore the GOR, KU to the Big10 basically flies in the face of every other realignment move that has happened thus far. But if they predict the Big10 network struggling for content, Tier 2/3 KU basketball games against OSU/MSU/IU/Illinois/Purdue/Maryland might be pretty cool. Even KU vs. Rutgers/Penn State/Northwestern would have national interest. You also get the KCMO region, which isn't much, but not terrible.

It still ain't happening, but always fun to talk about.

Lar77
11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
So far this thread has tossed out ideas for the football 4 power conferences to access the Atlanta and NC TV markets, which is not a good path for the ACC. If the ACC does break up, does this give Duke Basketball, as one of the few truly national programs, an opportunity to become similar to Notre Dame in Football? Understood that basketball doesn't bring in revenue like football, so it is a question of getting a broadcaster interested, but consider how often Duke is on national TV now compared to other programs.

Another proposal is do away with the NCAA and have ESPN run major college sports.

blazindw
11-30-2012, 02:29 PM
So far this thread has tossed out ideas for the football 4 power conferences to access the Atlanta and NC TV markets, which is not a good path for the ACC. If the ACC does break up, does this give Duke Basketball, as one of the few truly national programs, an opportunity to become similar to Notre Dame in Football? Understood that basketball doesn't bring in revenue like football, so it is a question of getting a broadcaster interested, but consider how often Duke is on national TV now compared to other programs.

Another proposal is do away with the NCAA and have ESPN run major college sports.

It's harder to be independent in basketball, where 31 out of the 68 slots go to conference winners. Not saying that we'd consistently be on the bubble, but the margin for error is smaller when it comes to W/L record, scheduling and always having to get in as an at-large.

sporthenry
11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
It's harder to be independent in basketball, where 31 out of the 68 slots go to conference winners. Not saying that we'd consistently be on the bubble, but the margin for error is smaller when it comes to W/L record, scheduling and always having to get in as an at-large.

Scheduling will be a hassle b/c teams that play a B12 or B1G schedule all year aren't going to want to play Duke in March. ND said as much in football for their reasons joining the ACC b/c they couldn't get meaningful games in November.

With Duke basketball, the remnants of an ACC would form with the remnants of the BE to form a conference. It remains to be seen what would happen to football. Would they just go FCS? But basketball wise, it would be a pretty competitive conference with Georgetown, Duke, Temple, Uconn, Pitt/Cuse (assuming they don't go anywhere), Louisville, Cincy...

Highlander
11-30-2012, 02:42 PM

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012112914146/are-four-super-conferences-really-inevitable.php

Here's a good link from Duke Grad and ACC Beat reporter Jim Young on why he thinks four 16 team super conferences will never happen.

Turtleboy
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Rumors rumors rumors. If only there were some kind of rule against that around here. One that applied to everyone equally.

sporthenry
11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012112914146/are-four-super-conferences-really-inevitable.php

Here's a good link from Duke Grad and ACC Beat reporter Jim Young on why he thinks four 16 team super conferences will never happen.

This is the problem with current realignment. The Pac 12 has difficulty getting to 16 without the B12 falling apart and the 4 Super Conferences with the SEC, B12, B1G, and Pac 12 would leave the East coast with no conference. The only logical thing that makes sense is the Pac 12 sniping off Big12 teams like Texas which doesn't seem plausible at this juncture.

And I just can't see the East Coast being without a conference although I guess that is less of an issue than having the Pac 12 take on Duke/UNC.

77devil
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM

This represents a credible source? Really? The only "chatter" I can find is different versions of the same story all on SB Nation sites. DBR is an SB Nation site. What a coincidence?

Highlander
11-30-2012, 03:41 PM
This is the problem with current realignment. The Pac 12 has difficulty getting to 16 without the B12 falling apart and the 4 Super Conferences with the SEC, B12, B1G, and Pac 12 would leave the East coast with no conference. The only logical thing that makes sense is the Pac 12 sniping off Big12 teams like Texas which doesn't seem plausible at this juncture.

And I just can't see the East Coast being without a conference although I guess that is less of an issue than having the Pac 12 take on Duke/UNC.

I also liked the point in the article about this 4 super conference scenario creating all new problems, such as why any football team would want to be in the toughest division every year, if all divisions are created equally? It seems to me a team like Ohio State or Oregon would have a much easier path to the championship than an LSU or Georgia. I can't see the SEC agreeing to a "final four" format where only one of their teams has a shot at being invited. The only reason they support a playoff is that it will use national rankings, not conference championships, to seed, which virtually guarantees them 2 BCS spots per year and at least 1 (and possibly both) NC spots. Why would they give that up to split it equally with the PAC10, Big10, and Big12?

-jk
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Rumors rumors rumors. If only there were some kind of rule against that around here. One that applied to everyone equally.

Knowing it was on the edge, Jason actually reported himself. He cited a source (barely credible, granted), which has since backed off.

Is it a rumor under our guidelines? In my opinion, borderline, mostly based on the source.

It's also emblematic of the speculation that's routinely rampant in the realignment and recruiting threads. The biggest problem with rumors - their destructive nature to individuals - doesn't apply so much here.

And there's certainly no SB Nation conspiracy. They don't pay mods enough to conspire. Of course, they don't pay mods anything.

-jk

Greg_Newton
11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe the thread title could be changed to something a little less terrifying though?

mapei
11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Personally, I think sports rumors are a lot of fun to discuss, unless it's about something private and personal to an individual.

hurleyfor3
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Our primary concern is rumor-mongering regarding players and recruits, and the conveyance of unreliable sources (or non-sources) as fact. A moderator linking to Twitter does not set the greatest example, but on the topic of conference alignments we have been in the Tyson Zone, as Bill Simmons would put it, for some time.

jimsumner
11-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Right now, it's about markets -- not so much alumni base - and certainly not strength of the program.

I hope the reports are wrong about Georgia Tech ... I was interested that when the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers, they bragged about how the new members were in contiguous states with existing members. No way to make that work with Georgia Tech. Now if they can add a Virginia school and a North Carolina school ...

Sure they can. Add Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky and we're good to go. Geographical continuity and new markets. :)

dukeofcalabash
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Georgia Tech was admitted to this conference when? Maybe in the '70's? They are not part of the original group. Maryland and South Carolina are the two originals who have pulled out of the ACC. Losing GT is not a big loss with all that the ACC has gained in the last few years. It will settle down and the ACC will add another team (or 2, or 3, or 4 .....). :cool:

jimsumner
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Georgia Tech was admitted to this conference when? Maybe in the '70's? They are not part of the original group. Maryland and South Carolina are the two originals who have pulled out of the ACC. Losing GT is not a big loss with all that the ACC has gained in the last few years. It will settle down and the ACC will add another team (or 2, or 3, or 4 .....). :cool:

Respectfully disagree. Losing GT would mean losing the Atlanta media market. It also would mean losing a third-of-a century of tradition, of Bobby Cremins and Mark Price and Dennis Scott and Joe Hamilton and Calvin Johnson and Nomar. Not an original member to be sure. But a first-rate academic and athletic school. I would hate to lose them.

wilko
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Respectfully disagree. Losing GT would mean losing the Atlanta media market. It also would mean losing a third-of-a century of tradition, of Bobby Cremins and Mark Price and Dennis Scott and Joe Hamilton and Calvin Johnson and Nomar. Not an original member to be sure. But a first-rate academic and athletic school. I would hate to lose them.

Agree!
GT has been in the league long enough to feel like they belong. They have carved out an identity for themselves.
I feel like they belong here more than any other recent addition, actually.

(UofL not withstanding, tho they seem fantastically excited to be here and thats refreshing in and of itself)

If Tech left (They are the 1 true Tech in the league to me) I would be very sad and would miss them.

53n206
11-30-2012, 07:19 PM
With so many leagues, so far distant, so few natural rivalries, pretty soon who would care. Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech? Let's see what's on at the movies.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe the thread title could be changed to something a little less terrifying though?

"ASTEROID DESTROYS CHAPEL HILL, UCONN TO TAKE ITS PLACE IN ACC"

Wrap your head around that one.

ForkFondler
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

That sounds pretty good to me. 1) The ACC gets a school that actually fails their athlete-students when they can't do the work, and 2) the ACC gets a new market without giving one up. Lots of win there. On the down side, Uconn doesn't have any Helms trophies, but since Syracuse brings in 2, I figure losing one is just the price we have to pay.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Where's the Like button when you need it????? :cool:

devildeac
11-30-2012, 10:33 PM
It's not April 1 yet. Too early for these kind of shenanigans:rolleyes:.

Jarhead
11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Where's the Like button when you need it????? :cool:

Right down there on the lower left corner, Ozzie. That funny little thing with a ref's whistle next to it. That might give a spork which is better than a like on fake... uuuhh, facebook.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 11:29 PM
It's not April 1 yet. Too early for these kind of shenanigans:rolleyes:.

Ripple Wild Sock 2011. Top notch hootch, hint of sweaty cotton. Pairs well with leftovers and stale bread. Like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, if it was left on the sun for a week and then drained through a radiator hose. Good through never.

crimsondevil
12-01-2012, 12:02 AM
With so many leagues, so far distant, so few natural rivalries, pretty soon who would care. Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech? Let's see what's on at the movies.

That's the kind of long-term, is-it-good-for-the-game thinking that is not occurring in all this realignment. All about the $$$.

I'm glad someone linked that article from Jim Young. Personally, I don't get the 4x16 thing at all. The argument for it seems to rely on it being a nice tidy system mathematically, which doesn't mean much from a motivational perspective. Schools and conferences are doing and will continue to do what they see as their best interest, financially. How does the 4x16 model help with that? Why would a conference not be happy with 14, or go to 18 instead? Isn't it more likely to depend on what media markets or high-profile teams they can grab than some idea of inter-conference symmetry?

Furniture
12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Hang on there!!!!

I am a Duke fan with my oldest D at Duke. My middle daughter is at UNC. I don't want them to beat Duke but they can't be wiped off the planet.
Let's keep it a little civil please!

gep
12-01-2012, 12:58 AM
If "student-athlete" is still important... I vote for the Ivy League model. Get a bunch of schools that adhere to the "student-athlete", and forgo the "money". Create a conference that "just makes sense". I guess I'm just tired of this musical chairs... :confused:

oldnavy
12-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Oh I don't know, half of the title doesn't sound sooo bad. ;)

oldnavy
12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Hang on there!!!!

I am a Duke fan with my oldest D at Duke. My middle daughter is at UNC. I don't want them to beat Duke but they can't be wiped off the planet.

Oh I agree, but with an asteroid there should be plenty of warning to evacuate the town. We are not heartless you know! :D

ForkFondler
12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Oh I don't know, half of the title doesn't sound sooo bad. ;)

That's because it was changed. This thread started with the GT to the B1G rumor as the subject.

devildeac
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh I agree, but with an asteroid there should be plenty of warning to evacuate the town. We are not heartless you know! :D

I'm not so sure about that.

Old joke:

Three old "friends" were walking along a beach and spotted a shiny object in the sand. They dug it out, realized it was an old lantern and brushed it off and a genie appeared. The genie, not too happy about being disturbed, grumbled that they were entitled to three wishes. Soon, they began to argue about the wishes. That quickly ended as the genie said, "OK, you knuckleheads, you each get one wish." They argued some more and finally the NCSU fan said, "Oooh, oooh, me first." All agreed so the genie asked what the wish was. The Pack fan declared, "Jim Valvano was the best basketball coach ever. I want him back on the sidelines coaching Wolfpack hoops."

"Your wish is my command," declared the genie and, in an instant, Valvano was back at the helm for the Pack. "Who's next?" snarled the genie.

The unc fan quickly chimed, in stating he was tired of all the Yankees moving down to chappaheeya and then never leaving so he wanted a wall built around the town. Ten feet thick and 40 feet high with no entrance or exit.

"Your wish is my command," said the genie and the wall was erected. He turned to the Duke grad and said, "All right, Duke boy, what do you want?"

Our Duke friend, always being the thoughtful, contemplative one wondered if he could ask a question and the impatient genie snarled that it would be OK but only one and make it quick.

"That wall around chappaheeya you just built is really 40 feet high and 10 feet thick with no entrance and exit, right?"

"Yea, yea, yea," grunted the genie, "Let's hear your wish. I'm getting tired of this."

The Duke grad thought for another moment and replied, "Fill it with concrete."

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 09:09 AM
I am hearing disturbing reports that OPK is going to join IC. Not confirmed at this point, but important people are meeting at the Waffle House to cover the matter.

Whether this would be a net loss or gain to DBR is of mixed opinion.

Story I'm hearing is that IC is promising all the Funyuns he can eat for a month. Can DBR match?

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I haven't seen any denials posted in here, so here's a present for you. GT says it's all a bunch of baseless rumors.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/30/griffin-speaks-against-tech-big-ten-rumors/

Amidst rumors and reports that Georgia Tech has applied and been approved for membership into the Big Ten, the school denied their veracity.
“There is no truth to the rumors,” Institute spokesman Matt Nagel said in an e-mail Friday afternoon.

MCFinARL
12-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Right down there on the lower left corner, Ozzie. That funny little thing with a ref's whistle next to it. That might give a spork which is better than a like on fake... uuuhh, facebook.

Well I can't use it until I "spread the wealth" so I have to post to tell OPK the new headline made my morning (but I am still wiping up the spewed coffee).

jimsumner
12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Hang on there!!!!

You have to start the thread at the beginning.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Yes, but sometimes it prevents me from doing that because
A) I've already Zporked you recently and I need to Zpork-whore around some more before I can do you again.
B) I've Zpork-whored around too much in the last 24 hours and the system throws cold water on my attempt! :cool:

TruBlu
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Asteroid hits chapel hill . . . does $125 million in civic improvements!

Indoor66
12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Asteroid hits chapel hill . . . does $125 million in civic improvements!

Only Hector's remains standing.

SmartDevil
12-01-2012, 02:43 PM
My preference would be for us to use the high tech course-diversion techniques the US is supposedly working on to "guide" the Asteroid toward U-CONN, particularly at a time when Ol' Roy might be visiting for some reason.

pamtar
12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
If anyone is concerned about ACC football just look at the massive amount of people at Rip-off of America Stadium right now.

That is absolutely pathetic for a conference championship game.

I blame UNC.

Duvall
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM
If anyone is concerned about ACC football just look at the massive amount of people at Rip-off of America Stadium right now.

That is absolutely pathetic for a conference championship game.

I blame UNC.

Meanwhile, in the B1G... (http://twitpic.com/bi9c8h)

pamtar
12-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Touche.

EDIT: and congrats to me on 1000 posts...

devildeac
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Dang. But it's a great place to play a MBB National Championship game;).

uh_no
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Dang. But it's a great place to play a MBB National Championship game;).

an even better place to WIN a national championship....plus I can't say enough about the butler guys who put me up for the weekend.

hurleyfor3
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Pretty sure there are about a dozen other schools the acc would take over uconn. Three or four in Connecticut alone.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Pretty sure there are about a dozen other schools the acc would take over uconn. Three or four in Connecticut alone.

I am pulling for Norwalk Community College. Or Manute Bol's alma mater, University of Bridgeport.

Screw Yale. Just sayin'

hurleyfor3
12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I am pulling for Norwalk Community College. Or Manute Bol's alma mater, University of Bridgeport.

Screw Yale. Just sayin'

There's also the US Coast Guard Academy. I mean, those service academies are there for the asking, and there's no way Coach K is going to allow Navy in.

burnspbesq
12-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Trinity would be OK. The Bantams would definitely raise the ACC's profile as a squash conference.

Gotta draw the line at Wesleyan, though.

-bdbd
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM
The ACC Presidents have just issued a joint statement of solidarity and commitment to staying in the ACC. It is said to have been initiated by the Presidents at the schools facing the most rumors of leaving -- GT, FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc.

This is certainly a positive step, but won't in any shape or form stop the rumors...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8721127/atlantic-coast-conference-speculation-more-defections-totally-false

bob blue devil
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
The ACC Presidents have just issued a joint statement of solidarity and commitment to staying in the ACC. It is said to have been initiated by the Presidents at the schools facing the most rumors of leaving -- GT, FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc.

This is certainly a positive step, but won't in any shape or form stop the rumors...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8721127/atlantic-coast-conference-speculation-more-defections-totally-false

ah, the dreaded vote of confidence. did they all say the head coach has their full support too?

for giggles, if the big boys in the acc and big12 were to merge, would duke get an invite? i continue to have agita about the direction of conference realignment and the end game's implication for duke.

Kedsy
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
for giggles, if the big boys in the acc and big12 were to merge, would duke get an invite?

Nah, we'd probably have to settle for the SEC, since we're so strong in football now. :p

rasputin
12-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Screw Yale. Just sayin'

Can't be Central Connecticut State. "Blue Devils" is already taken.

ForkFondler
12-06-2012, 06:06 PM
or giggles, if the big boys in the acc and big12 were to merge, would duke get an invite? i continue to have agita about the direction of conference realignment and the end game's implication for duke.

Not that I that I think there is very much chance of either happening, but I would prefer the ACC/BE leftover conference to the B12 eastern division.

uh_no
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Or stop any of them leaving the conference if offered, i would guess. It's a nice gesture, but much like political promises, aren't worth much

ForkFondler
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Or stop any of them leaving the conference if offered, i would guess. It's a nice gesture, but much like political promises, aren't worth much

Maybe, but I think those promises are far more reliable than the rumor that started this thread.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Maybe, but I think those promises are far more reliable than the rumor that started this thread.

The rumor that has been totally and completely shot down? That one? Many http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.pnghttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.pnghttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.pnghttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.png for you. This thread should not even exist since not one credible source ever posted the story that it is based on.