PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Crazies vs. Ohio State

Viking Guy
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
You guys were absolutely phenomenal, and it was obvious how the team was feeding off of you during that second half run. Last night you felt the potential power of Cameron, and why it's such a nightmare for visitors. Some have estimated that the Crazies are worth +4 points per game. I have no idea if that is true, but if it is, I think you can rightly say that you influenced the outcome of the game. I was proud of you.

You did your job. Good work. Next play.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Agree ...

We have complained enough in recent years when the Crazies have fallen short of the mark. You guys deserve credit for an outstanding performance (especially the instances when you reminded the upper deck patrons to "Stand up!" for key moments).

Well done ....

I do have one small suggestion, but it's not mine -- it's Coach K's. After the Blue-White game, Coach K explained that when his team breaks the huddle, they all shout "Together". He suggested that the Crazies -- because they are part of the team -- should join in the shout. So far, I haven't seen or heard that.

How neat would it be for thousands of Crazies to shout 'Together" every time Duke breaks the huddle?

gus
11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
How neat would it be for thousands of Crazies to shout 'Together" every time Duke breaks the huddle?

That would be pretty cool. Not sure how easy that would be to coordinate though, as I don't think everyone would be able to see inside the huddle. I suspect we'd end up with several ironic and distinct "together!"'s.

wtm001
11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Not to take away from what the crazies did last night, but the "our house" chant shouldn't have started with a minute left only up by 6. Not to mention OSU had fouls to give.

Son of Mojo
11-29-2012, 12:26 PM
The "you let the whooooooole team down" chants need to be reeled in, too. I like it when used in certain spots but overusing it makes it lose its effect. But overall the crowd deserves big backslaps--helped boost the guys when they needed it in the second half.

nmduke2001
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Not to be a “Debbie Downer” but in my opinion the enthusiasm did not show through the television in the first half. In fact, there were several times when the camera caught students gazing at their iphones while the game was going on. The second half was much better.

tjf513
11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
I really dislike this one and also feel it is being used way too much.

The "you let the whooooooole team down" chants need to be reeled in, too. I like it when used in certain spots but overusing it makes it lose its effect. But overall the crowd deserves big backslaps--helped boost the guys when they needed it in the second half.

blazindw
11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
I also thought the Crazies were on it last night. Reminded me of games in Cameron when I was in school. It's what Cameron should be for the Florida Gulf Coasts as well as the UNCs and the teams from Ohio.

That would be pretty cool. Not sure how easy that would be to coordinate though, as I don't think everyone would be able to see inside the huddle. I suspect we'd end up with several ironic and distinct "together!"'s.

Maybe Crazies could put their hands in mini-huddles in the crowd. When the team breaks the huddle, the band could have a bass drummer hit the drum 3 times, the band counts "1, 2, 3" after each bang, and on 3, the entire crowd breaks their huddles with "TOGETHER!"

And then...they get loud.

kingboozer
11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I thought the roof was going to come off the place in the 2nd half, haven't seen CIS THAT intense in a while! Go Crazies!
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/11/29/2513468/decock-for-one-night-club-cameron.html

Native
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Agree ...

We have complained enough in recent years when the Crazies have fallen short of the mark. You guys deserve credit for an outstanding performance (especially the instances when you reminded the upper deck patrons to "Stand up!" for key moments).

Well done ....

I do have one small suggestion, but it's not mine -- it's Coach K's. After the Blue-White game, Coach K explained that when his team breaks the huddle, they all shout "Together". He suggested that the Crazies -- because they are part of the team -- should join in the shout. So far, I haven't seen or heard that.

It's so hard to coordinate - there's a thousand things going on right before tip-off when they do that and most kids are [excited/freshmen/drunk/already doing the Mortal Kombat thing], so they're not paying any attention to the bench. We've put it on the dirt sheets but we're still having a rough time getting it going. As smart as we Duke students are, some of us have the attention span of a turnip once we get in a crowded room.

I agree that "Our House" was used waaaayyyyyy too early. Those of us near the front tried to quiet it pretty quick but it still kept coming through. I think those who did it early learned their lesson, though, when OSU cut it to two with about 3 to go IIRC. A lot of students are fond of "You Let The Whole Team Down" but we do need to be better about picking our spots with that one.

We're working on figuring out a way to effectively communicate a sort of "What Not To Do" of Crazieness, especially w/r/t freshmen who truthfully just don't know any better right now.

Honestly, though, what I think we did a great job of last night was simple, ear-splitting noise. Focusing less on the chants and more on pure volume helps, IMO. It was one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of in Cameron, and I've been going to home games for twenty years.

Question: for those of you who were there, how did the singing of the national anthem sound? I've always thought it'd be neat for the Crazies to sing (respectfully, of course) the national anthem in Cameron. Thoughts?

timmy c
11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Any acknowledgment of Greg Paulus by the Crazies last night?

Native
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Any acknowledgment of Greg Paulus by the Crazies last night?

Yeah, he got a roll call and then a tongue-in-cheek 'WHY, GREG, WHY' during warm-ups. He tweeted about it last night IIRC saying thanks for the cheers, etc.

Lid
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Honestly, though, what I think we did a great job of last night was simple, ear-splitting noise. Focusing less on the chants and more on pure volume helps, IMO. It was one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of in Cameron, and I've been going to home games for twenty years.
THIS! I love clever cheers as much as anyone (when I can hear/understand them), but last night was amazing because it was just SO FREAKING LOUD. Great job, Crazies, and great job, everyone! It's one of the only times I can ever remember my ears hurting upstairs.

Question: for those of you who were there, how did the singing of the national anthem sound? I've always thought it'd be neat for the Crazies to sing (respectfully, of course) the national anthem in Cameron. Thoughts?
Personally, I loved it. I found it very moving and respectful -- there's something about the national anthem being sung by a group that is much more powerful to me than having it as a performance piece by a soloist. I thought it was a great way to start.

Put me on the list of everyone else who thought it was clear that the crowd made a difference last night. Every time the team started to make a run, or played some good defense, the crowd picked up and carried the enthusiasm. Really great. Sometimes it seems like our guys' hustle plays aren't rewarded with noise unless they lead to a dunk, but that wasn't true last night. People seemed to recognize and encourage all of the little things, the harrassment on inbounds, the pass-tips that maybe didn't lead to a steal, but stil ratcheted up the intensity.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Maybe Crazies could put their hands in mini-huddles in the crowd. When the team breaks the huddle, the band could have a bass drummer hit the drum 3 times, the band counts "1, 2, 3" after each bang, and on 3, the entire crowd breaks their huddles with "TOGETHER!"

And then...they get loud.

That is a very good idea, although I would put the hands outstretched towards the center of the court. But a quick drum beat -- boom boom boom TOGETHER! -- would be interesting to at least see.

Where are the BOGgers when you need them?

juise
11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, he got a roll call and then a tongue-in-cheek 'WHY, GREG, WHY' during warm-ups. He tweeted about it last night IIRC saying thanks for the cheers, etc.

Yep. Here's the acknowledgement.

Greg Paulus ‏@Greg_Paulus

Thank You Cameron Indoor and the Crazies for the kind words and welcome. Always special to me.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
It's so hard to coordinate - there's a thousand things going on right before tip-off when they do that and most kids are [excited/freshmen/drunk/already doing the Mortal Kombat thing], so they're not paying any attention to the bench. We've put it on the dirt sheets but we're still having a rough time getting it going. As smart as we Duke students are, some of us have the attention span of a turnip once we get in a crowded room.

I agree that "Our House" was used waaaayyyyyy too early. Those of us near the front tried to quiet it pretty quick but it still kept coming through. I think those who did it early learned their lesson, though, when OSU cut it to two with about 3 to go IIRC. A lot of students are fond of "You Let The Whole Team Down" but we do need to be better about picking our spots with that one.

We're working on figuring out a way to effectively communicate a sort of "What Not To Do" of Crazieness, especially w/r/t freshmen who truthfully just don't know any better right now.

Singing the national anthem together: great step forward! Look at how impressive singing in unison is at various other college venues.

I appreciated that more students know at least some of the words to our school songs.... another sort of thing where thousands singing in unison can make as big statement as when we cheer in unison. When we all sing the Alma Mater together in the way inspired by the Duke Chorale, that will send chills and create a magnificent atmosphere.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Not sure if this was posted in the pregame thread, but since we're talking about the Crazies, has everybody seen the clip of Marshall Plumlee interviewing Crazies in line for the OSU game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afOxGt_X3k

Loved seeing Marshall try to fit in the tiny pup tent ... but my LOL moment was when he said, "This is new to me ... I only camp out for midnight showings of Harry Potter and Justin Bieber concerts."

ricks68
11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Can you ask Coach K (Yes, Coach K) or someone in the huddle to hold up a hand during the huddle and then drop it at the break to signal us right at the break to say "together" at the same time. I mean, like he sets the timing of it, and the team hears it and is set for it, but the students aren't. Maybe when he begins his countdown only, and then the students could begin their own countdown to coincide and then be able to hit it together. It could be practiced as far as his cadence is concerned, and then the students could hit it every time. If that's what Coach K wants, then he should get what he wants. Ask him.

And the National Anthem was outstanding. Just make sure that that "O" business is totally kept OUT! Also, at home on TV, the Alma Mater really came over very, very big at my house---like never before. Great bookends to a great game, and more positive PR for DUKE. Very, very strong. Go Duke!

ricks

nocilla
11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree that "Our House" was used waaaayyyyyy too early. Those of us near the front tried to quiet it pretty quick but it still kept coming through. I think those who did it early learned their lesson, though, when OSU cut it to two with about 3 to go IIRC.

Personally I didn't mind 'Our House' being chanted early. I think it is a good cheer that the team feeds off of. I think it can help keep the players intensity level up when we need a strong finish to close out a game. I liked it both times it was chanted.

94duke
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Personally I didn't mind 'Our House' being chanted early. I think it is a good cheer that the team feeds off of. I think it can help keep the players intensity level up when we need a strong finish to close out a game. I liked it both times it was chanted.

I agree. The "Our House" chant did not start out as an end-of-game-get-out-of-here-we-dominated-you-now-you-go-home chant. It started in the middle of a game against Ga Tech (iirc). We were getting totally hosed by the refs in our own gym, and the whole stadium started chanting, "Our House!! Our House!!" We were even screaming upstairs. It was almost as loud as a unc game. The players responded and definitely fed off of it. I wish we would use the "Our House!!" cheer when the team needs a lift in the middle of the game. Nowadays it's just used for self-amusement, when the game is already decided.

ricks68
11-29-2012, 02:55 PM

I think, however, vaguely remembering that chant at a former ACC member's venue when they had a seemingly insurmountable 10 point lead with just under a minute to play.:p Hmmmmmmmm..........

ricks

jay
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I really dislike this one and also feel it is being used way too much.

Count me in on this one too. Once a game is enough. And it should be used (as I actually think it was at one point last night), where a player commits a turnover or foul and gets sent to the bench as a result. I think that happened to Aaron Craft once last night, but the Crazies didn't pick up on it until after the ball was back in play, and our guys had the ball. That's not the right time for the chant. When our guys have the ball, we need to be cheering for our guys.

But, I don't want to that to take away from what a great job the fans did in the second half of last night. I even saw some shots of the upper deck out of their seats and being loud. The Crazies sure are important, but Cameron goes to the next level with the upper deck REALLY gets into it. Nice job, guys.

alteran
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I think, however, vaguely remembering that chant at a former ACC member's venue when they had a seemingly insurmountable 10 point lead with just under a minute to play.:p Hmmmmmmmm..........

ricks

I thought that was "overrated."

blazindw
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree. The "Our House" chant did not start out as an end-of-game-get-out-of-here-we-dominated-you-now-you-go-home chant. It started in the middle of a game against Ga Tech (iirc). We were getting totally hosed by the refs in our own gym, and the whole stadium started chanting, "Our House!! Our House!!" We were even screaming upstairs. It was almost as loud as a unc game. The players responded and definitely fed off of it. I wish we would use the "Our House!!" cheer when the team needs a lift in the middle of the game. Nowadays it's just used for self-amusement, when the game is already decided.

May not be where it started (Georgia Tech, 2002), but it was definitely where it took off as a pick-me-up chant, not a "thanks for coming to get ran" chant.

ricks

They did scream "overrated."

Ltrey33
11-29-2012, 03:12 PM

I thought the singing of the anthem was really great. Unique, too. The fact that it happened just speaks to the level of energy that was in that building last night.

For those who say it wasn't loud in the first half, after the first few buckets ('til about the 17:00 mark) it was as loud as I've ever heard it. After that we started to get out rebounded, Kelly picked up his second foul and we had a few deflating turnovers. Just like when you're playing, it's hard to stay amped up when those things are happening. There was definitely a surge in noise at the end of the half, and in the second half everybody went NUTS.

The "together" thing is tough. I, for one, thought it was only for that night at Countdown to Craziness. Either way, it's hard because the band plays right up to the very last second and we're usually doing the fight song or 'everytime we touch' right up to the horn.

BlueDevil2K
11-29-2012, 03:15 PM
December 4, 1999:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/bank-it

"Chants of "Our House" rained down from the rafters as the lead changed hands seven times in the last 12 minutes."

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/2000/991204/recap/daldau.html

"The Cameron Crazies might have willed Duke's young team to victory. Behind the chants of "Our House!" Duke took its first lead at 61-60 on James' free throw with 6:58 left."

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Columnists/Rob_C/19991204DePaul.htm

"Cameron Craziness: The crowd was as loud today at times as I've ever heard them. And I'm talking everyone: students and season ticket holders, who were standing for the end of the game and much of OT. Not much in the way of cheers other than old standards like "Nate's a badass", "Who's your daddy? Battier!", "Nice pass", etc. But there was one significant addition as Duke was rallying in the second half: "Our house!" It was both a bold assertion towards DePaul and an exhortation to the Duke players."

Jarhead
11-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I think the cheer, "you let the whooooooole team down," is a cheap shot. It's so Terrapin like, not worthy of Cameron. How about we make it, "Have a seat, and think about it," or something like that? That's assuming the cheer is directed at the visitors.

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
May not be where it started (Georgia Tech, 2002), but it was definitely where it took off as a pick-me-up chant, not a "thanks for coming to get ran" chant.

Pretty sure "Our House" originated against DePaul in Dec 99. The game where a late, fortuitous banked-in-three from Nick Horvath helped us to victory. Throaty has a long history with this chant and this particular game (and with summer pickup legend Nick Horvath for that matter). I am sure he can add more detail when he gets a chance.

blazindw
11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure "Our House" originated against DePaul in Dec 99. The game where a late, fortuitous banked-in-three from Nick Horvath helped us to victory. Throaty has a long history with this chant and this particular game (and with summer pickup legend Nick Horvath for that matter). I am sure he can add more detail when he gets a chance.

I was referencing an earlier poster who mentioned the Georgia Tech game of 2002. I wasn't saying that's where it started, but I mentioned that's when it really joined the set of cheers we pulled out in pick-me-up situations on a regular basis.

ricks68
11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that one out. One of the finest Duke memories of all time, during a season full of unbelievable memories.:D

ricks

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I was referencing an earlier poster who mentioned the Georgia Tech game of 2002. I wasn't saying that's where it started, but I mentioned that's when it really joined the set of cheers we pulled out in pick-me-up situations on a regular basis.

I realize that. Never said that you thought it started against GT in 2002. Just provided info stating where I thought it began.

Lunchab1es
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised at all of the disdain towards "You let the whole team down". It's one of my favorites... it's just such a matter-of-fact, "I'm not angry just disappointed in you", cheer... it makes me laugh every time.

Edouble
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM

I will confirm that is when the chant started. It was not used in the 98-99 season. The DePaul game was rocking. I had never heard the chant before that day.

blazindw
11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I realize that. Never said that you thought it started against GT in 2002. Just provided info stating where I thought it began.

Off topic: That game (January 10, 2002 (http://goduke.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011002aaa.html)) is far and away the loudest I've ever heard Cameron and will forever be my favorite game I see there. I still get chills remembering that game!

devildeac
11-29-2012, 04:05 PM

ricks

IIIRC, it was this sequence:

terp fans: o-ver-ra-ted, o-ver-ra-ted
Jason Williams: I HATE that chant/cheer

You know the outcome:).

Indoor66
11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Off topic: That game (January 10, 2002 (http://goduke.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011002aaa.html)) is far and away the loudest I've ever heard Cameron and will forever be my favorite game I see there. I still get chills remembering that game!

You should have been there for the Freddy Lind game.

Jarhead
11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised at all of the disdain towards "You let the whole team down". It's one of my favorites... it's just such a matter-of-fact, "I'm not angry just disappointed in you", cheer... it makes me laugh every time.
Just who is the target of your laughable cheer? The visitors, or our guys? If it is our guys then only Coach has the right to tell them that. If it's the visitors, I'm not at all disappointed in their bad play. It's not up to the long established standards of the Crazies.

MulletMan
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
1. It was loud. I was proud of you guys.
2. The National Anthem was wonderful. I got chills and it also prevents the idiocy of the "O".
3. "You let the whole team down" is exactly the clever jibe that we want to see out of the Crazies. Whoever said it sounds like a Maryland cheer is forgetting 2 things... it does not include the F-word, and it is actually funny and not vulgar.
4. The "together" cheer would be great. And frankly, you've got time to work on it. Just get your group to do it during Delaware. Do it at the start of the game, but then each time the team breaks the huddle. Especially to start the second half when there is no noise. Tell fake Viking what you're doing, and tell the grads on the other end. That's how it starts. People will pick up on it.
5. I know that this is tough to pick up and start, but the one thing you missed last night was the fist. We needed some stops in the first and second halves coming out of TOs. Everyone, fists up coming out of the TO. No noise at all. And then bust loose once the ball is in-bounded.

All in all a fabulous effort.

blazindw
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
1. It was loud. I was proud of you guys.
2. The National Anthem was wonderful. I got chills and it also prevents the idiocy of the "O".
3. "You let the whole team down" is exactly the clever jibe that we want to see out of the Crazies. Whoever said it sounds like a Maryland cheer is forgetting 2 things... it does not include the F-word, and it is actually funny and not vulgar.
4. The "together" cheer would be great. And frankly, you've got time to work on it. Just get your group to do it during Delaware. Do it at the start of the game, but then each time the team breaks the huddle. Especially to start the second half when there is no noise. Tell fake Viking what you're doing, and tell the grads on the other end. That's how it starts. People will pick up on it.
5. I know that this is tough to pick up and start, but the one thing you missed last night was the fist. We needed some stops in the first and second halves coming out of TOs. Everyone, fists up coming out of the TO. No noise at all. And then bust loose once the ball is in-bounded.

All in all a fabulous effort.

Native, take this and run with it!

Native
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
If it's the visitors, I'm not at all disappointed in their bad play. It's not up to the long established standards of the Crazies.

Why not do it? If it's not vulgar, gets under the other team's skin, and is just one of another billion reminders to them that they're in a hostile environment, why not do it? People (myself included) have been clamoring for the Crazies to regain some of their edge for years. Is it the greatest chant ever? No. Is it being over-used right now? Maybe, yeah. Should we let it carry over into our offensive possessions? Never. But that doesn't negate the fact that it's a solid cheer for our arsenal that could use some refinement and attention to timing.

Native, take this and run with it!

Sure, that's actually a great idea. Since K's request was so specific at Countdown (i.e. the huddle just before tip) I hadn't considered the method of using it after every TO until it catches on. You guys have graduated yet you're still taking me to school. Thanks.

alteran
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM

I agree. I couldn't hear it on my TV (old ears), but whenever I hear it at games it makes me laugh. I agree that it'd be funnier if it was timed with a player getting yanked from a game, but it strikes me as old school Cameron.

Also, ditto on the all the compliments to the crazies.

jay
11-29-2012, 04:31 PM

I'm not saying I dislike the cheer. I'm saying I don't think it is done correctly or appropriately most of the time.

Like the example I gave from last night. It got started just before the ball got inbounded for Duke, so most of the time the chant was going on, our guys had the ball. That just doesn't make sense.

It needs to be done 1) Immediately after the turnover or offensive foul 2) When our team doesn't have the ball (so preferably when there is a break in the action, such as a timeout and 3) In conjunction maybe with some arm-waving at the bench toward the player who the chant is referring to.

Here's a scenario: Craft commits an offensive foul. Matta calls a timeout to regroup. Immediately, the cheer starts, and continues all the way through the timeout, with some real intensity and with the Crazies pointing/waving toward the Ohio State huddle. Ohio State has to listen to this cheer during their entire timeout. Keep the cheer coming out of the timeout, and onto the court. If Craft comes out onto the court, keep pointing/waving at him. If he stays on the bench, point/wave to him there. Then it stops as soon as our player gets handed the ball for the inbounds.

Now that kind of cheer could really get into a player's head. But the way it's done now is just kind of haphazard and not at the right time.

Native
11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
I agree. I couldn't hear it on my TV (old ears)

I don't think that's your ears. The crowd isn't mic'd as well as it used to be, IMO, which is why it doesn't sound as good on TV as it used to. Going back and watching old replays of games in the Vault, it's obvious that they've changed how they record ambient noise for the broadcast, probably to rid the program of errant swearing or what have you.

But the way it's done now is just kind of haphazard and not at the right time.

This. Just needs some refinement, timing, and breaking in. It'll be communicated to new Crazies before the start of the Delaware game.

TruBlu
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Can you ask Coach K (Yes, Coach K) or someone in the huddle to hold up a hand during the huddle and then drop it at the break to signal us right at the break to say "together" at the same time. I mean, like he sets the timing of it, and the team hears it and is set for it, but the students aren't. Maybe when he begins his countdown only, and then the students could begin their own countdown to coincide and then be able to hit it together. It could be practiced as far as his cadence is concerned, and then the students could hit it every time. If that's what Coach K wants, then he should get what he wants. Ask him.

ricks

At the time Coach K spoke about this at CTC, I was curious as to how it would be coordinated. I like your idea of someone in the huddle giving a signal, but anyone in the huddle probably has "other things" on their mind.

I would suggest having the Blue Devil stand near the huddle and signal. Or, designate a Cheerleader. (I will even volunteer to screen the Cheerleaders to make sure they are qualified).

wtm001
11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Anybody got a video of the overrated chant by Maryland?

chaosmage
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I've been lucky enough to go to Cameron once: Spring 2009, Greg's senior night, Henderson's last home game. Florida State was in the house, and I flew my girlfriend in for the game. A friend got us 2 tickets to the upper deck, and I wasn't aware that apparently upper deck isn't where most of the ranting/cheering goes on. I now know why I kept getting some odd looks. But I'll say this, those looks didn't stop me.

That night Cameron was phenomenonal, and last night was the loudest I've heard it on the TV since then for a non-UNC game. I've missed a few because of my new job, but my wife actually told me last night to get up and start cheering and walking with 2 to go, after she realized I was sitting so it wouldn't bother her.

Anywho, just my two cents. Cameron was rocking, and I was proud of the team and the fans. Good job, and let's keep it rolling!

BlueDevil16
11-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Quinn's Cooks and the kid with the flag shorts were great

Overall Cameron was rocking and it reminded me of old days

flyingdutchdevil
11-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I was at the game yesterday in the grad section. I was an undergrad from 03-07 and a diehard Cameron Crazie. Below are my thoughts from the game and responses to a lot of the points made on this board:

1) When I read the title, I was convinced that the upper crusties / fans were going to rip on the students. Come on... like making fat jokes about Sean May, it's a common theme here on DBR and by far my least favorite topic.
2) Yesterday was loud. Not as loud as an epic UNC game, but insanely loud for a non-conference game. The students did a great job with this
3) I absolutely love the "you let the whole team down" chant. Wasn't here when I was a student. Makes me laugh a lot. However, I do agree that it was used excessively and, sometimes, incorrectly.
4) The undergrads, unfortunately, don't know the basic chants. I think this is for two primary reasons. One, we've only had 2 home games prior (and no, I don't count exhibition games. Students rarely go to these games). Usually, by end of the November, we've had a lot more practice than two games. Two, there aren't any grad student leaders like Mullet Man and Viking Guy. Those guys were just epic in terms of CC organization. We were lucky to have them.
5) There is zero unison between the grads and undergrads. I don't think this is an issue, but having it really adds to the experience.
6) The upper crusties were great. One of the best crowds I saw from them.
7) When Cook fed Mason the oop, it was one of the top 3 moments I've had at Cameron. The students went nuts and that play single-handedly got the CCs back into the game.
8) For those who want to criticize the CCs, remember that this has the third game of the season.

Thanks for listening,

FFD

uh_no
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Quinn's Cooks and the kid with the flag shorts were great

Overall Cameron was rocking and it reminded me of old days

I think a lot of the decline of cameron had to do with the lack of big games. Now every game is a big game, and every body SHOULD get excited for every game regardless of magnitude, but the fact is, they don't. As ACC basketball has been on the decline for the past 5+ years, we just didn't have as many big games in cameron. Most years it was UNC, maybe a pre-conference game if the ACC/B10 challenge was home for us. Maryland and State were semi big games. Sometimes a good non-conference game in the middle of the ACC season riled up the crazies.

It's tough to get excited 20 times a year to see duke play against a mediocre opponent.

That's all changing, soon.

We see how nuts the students go for big games like this against good teams, and back when the ACC was loaded, every game would have been of that caliber.

You konw what's going to get crazies out?

A game against rick pitino in cameron, or jim beoheim, or a brutal pitt team. Big time games will bring big time crowds, and it's on the horizon.

magjayran
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
--Count me as another fan of the "You let the whooole team down" chant. Maybe we could nitpick and say it should be reigned in or used less but what's the point? I always get a chuckle out of it.

--The crowd was great last night from what I could tell watching on TV. All of the players seemed to be impressed too and that's the most important thing.

--The "Together" thing might be ok but it sounds a little difficult to pull off and frankly, corny. I love the sentiment but don't see it working out most of the time.

Viking Guy
11-29-2012, 08:24 PM
You guys have graduated yet you're still taking me to school. Thanks.
Tommy: "Lots of people go to school for seven years"
Richard: "Yeah, they're called 'doctors'"

I love love love "You Let the Whole Team Down". It's brilliant and demonstrates that the Crazies have at least a modicum of basketball IQ.

Viking Guy
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
There aren't any grad student leaders like Mullet Man and Viking Guy. Those guys were just epic in terms of CC organization. We were lucky to have them.

BTW, we were ridiculously drunk most of the time. Imagine what we could have accomplished if we were sober.

Nah, drunk was better. All hail the Pepsi 152!

throatybeard
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
TByers and BD2K are on it.

I'll reiterate my regret about the cheer, which is that it lost its syllabic [r], which made "Our House" three syllables, and it was chanted much slower. It was fantastic at the DePaul game. Now it's two syllables, and sounds like dogs barking very quickly. Eouu, Eouu.

throatybeard
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
BTW, we were ridiculously drunk most of the time. Imagine what we could have accomplished if we were sober.

Nah, drunk was better. All hail the Pepsi 152!

The thing that has always interested me about this is that the P152 incident made people forget that I was equally inebriated and equally inappropriate at the St John's game about a month before. My memory is hazy, but I think I was loudly entreating Merrill Roller to sing along with the anthem.

My favorite moment of P152 night was Bob Harris talking to us in line. It was my last memory until about halftime.

Viking Guy
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
The thing that has always interested me about this is that the P152 incident made people forget that I was equally inebriated and equally inappropriate at the St John's game about a month before. My memory is hazy, but I think I was loudly entreating Merrill Roller to sing along with the anthem.

My favorite moment of P152 night was Bob Harris talking to us in line. It was my last memory until about halftime.

Getting drunk on half a case of PBR is not the same as concocting a drink that not only gets you loaded, but also teaches you math. One is normal, the other is legend.

Regardless, you are one up on me - I basically can't remember anything that happened after 2002. Did I pass my defense? Wake me up when Kenny Mayne shows up with a dove sack.

Kimist
11-29-2012, 09:34 PM

and...I was! On the bleachers, near midcourt, accompanied by a female of years gone by!

If there was ever the need to have EMT folks (or whatever they had then) on standby for heart-attack victims, THAT was the game!!

k

Kimist
11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
This was posted on Facebook earlier by the Duke Alumni Association. Author is Eric Martin, Trinity '91:

Lessons from Duke's Win (http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffense/archives/2012/11/29/how-to-beat-the-devil-lessons-from-dukes-73-68-gutsy-win-over-ohio-state)

Notable excerpts:

The Plumlee dunk that followed was so tremendous, so gravity defying, so Grant Hill-1991 NCAA Title Game-like, that it seemed to shake the space-time continuum, unleashing the ghosts of Cameron and making it seem abruptly impossible Duke would lose.

and

Adrenaline was being filtered from the stands to Duke players on the court like airborne plankton. Coach K: "When our fans left today, they said 'we won.' That's when Cameron's great. Tonight was one of those times.

k

dukebballcamper90-91
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks Crazies. Be sure to bring it every game no matter the opponent. 1 small request, bring back the reading of the newspaper during the other team's starting lineup for one game.

Ggallagher
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
and...I was! On the bleachers, near midcourt, accompanied by a female of years gone by!

If there was ever the need to have EMT folks (or whatever they had then) on standby for heart-attack victims, THAT was the game!!

k

That's actually almost the same sentiment I expressed at the game - and I was at mid court also (across the court from the teams' benches). Between the second and third overtimes, I turned to the girl I was with and said I was getting to the point where I almost wanted the game to end regardless of who won. I know that's terrible, but I was really starting to think I simply couldn't endure another overtime if the third one didn't wrap it up.
So she slapped some sense into me - and then we won.

And while I survived without an EMT back then - I'm not sure I could endure something like that now.

Thank you Fred.

ricks68
11-30-2012, 12:27 AM
That's actually almost the same sentiment I expressed at the game - and I was at mid court also (across the court from the teams' benches). Between the second and third overtimes, I turned to the girl I was with and said I was getting to the point where I almost wanted the game to end regardless of who won. I know that's terrible, but I was really starting to think I simply couldn't endure another overtime if the third one didn't wrap it up.
So she slapped some sense into me - and then we won.

And while I survived without an EMT back then - I'm not sure I could endure something like that now.

Thank you Fred.

I'll fourth or even fifth that, or whatever. I was also so exhausted, that I thought I would collapse during another OT period. It was much different for me, however, in that the fear of losing just kept increasing after every superhuman play by Freddy. I just kept thinking that there was no way Freddy could make the next great play after what he had just done. Then,...............he'd just do it again! The noise, coupled with the fear and excitement seemed to make the whole stadium spin around. The closest comparison I can make is to the very end of the Butler game, but it being in Cameron for the title. Similar fear, less exhaustion, much less noise due to the size of the stadium, similar exhiliration, both oh so satisfying.:)

Oh, and like everyone else that has posted about it, I had good seats on the side, too.

ricks

BattierD12
11-30-2012, 11:14 PM
My favorite game in Cameron was the UNC game my senior year in 2011 when we came down from 14 at the half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjhRnIqLlc

I always end up watching that video at least once a month, as the Crazies in it were just insane (especially starting at 1:13). Ryan Kelly's 3 at 1:30 and Nolan's and-1 at 1:45 are what I wish Cameron would be like all the time (although it's probably hard to maintain the 121 dB level they recorded us to be during those moments for a whole game haha).

There's a huge improvement in this year's crop versus the student section last year (which I lamented about in that "Call to Arms to My Fellow Crazies" thread). If there's just one thing that I can pass on to the current Crazies to make them better, it's to really be more loud and disruptive on opponent's possessions. There were still moments in the Ohio State game that were pretty quiet and dull with people just standing there - crank up the jumping and the noise and we might have ourselves a fantastic 6th man for this special season.

delfrio
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
I always end up watching that video at least once a month, as the Crazies in it were just insane (especially starting at 1:13). Ryan Kelly's 3 at 1:30 and Nolan's and-1 at 1:45 are what I wish Cameron would be like all the time (although it's probably hard to maintain the 121 dB level they recorded us to be during those moments for a whole game haha).

I don't know if that's my favorite game, but man, that is a seriously good video. Thanks for the memories.

juise
12-01-2012, 01:05 AM
I don't know if that's my favorite game, but man, that is a seriously good video. Thanks for the memories.

I'm an '04 alum and the referenced 2011 game definitely was the first time since I left Duke that I've been blown away by how loud Cameron gets. I remember watching that game and longing to return to the student section.

ETA: I was among those impressed by the Crazies' effort Wednesday. Keep it up, y'all.

Olympic Fan
12-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Allow me to agree that Cameron's greatest moment was the Fred Lind game in 1968 ... there will never be anything like that.

I keep checking the ACC Vault to see if that one is added. They are working their way back in the archives, but they are only back to 1983 and still focus mostly on ACC Tournament games. I can't find any clips of the Lind game on youtube or anywhere else on the web. But trust me, the latter part of that game ... and the three iovertimes were the most unbelievable basketball moments I've witnssed (and my memory goes back to the 1961 Duke-UNC brawl). First, it was Duke-UNC. Second, they were the No. 2 ranked team in the country, going for their fifth ranked victory in te series.

And third, Duke's hero was a 6-7 junior who had to that point (the last regular season game) scored exactly 12 points all season.

Just imagine Todd Zafirosky coming off the bench in the final game after being a scrub all season and playing out of his mind to lead Duke to a stunning upset over the best team in the ACC.

Jim Sumner recapped the game in 2008:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

As Joe Kennedy said:" It was surreal"

I think the moment I lost my mind was at the end of the first overtime, when Lind hit a running 22-footer on the break to force a second overtime.

The one thing Jim doesn't mention wasd that after the game, most of the Duke student body waited between Cameron anf Card for Lind to dress (the locker room was in that corner of Cameron in 1968 -- the players exited through the door on the side). When he finally came out, they tried to pick him up and carry him to the Chapel ... in more than 50 years of watching Duke basketball, I've never seen anything like that.

PS One thing that should be mentioned in defense of today's Crazies ... they are working with a handicap. For most of Cameron's history, students packed both sides and both end zones of the court. The only exception was a very small, one-row section for visitors behind their bench and an equally small, one-row section for guests behind the Duke bench. The famous BOG frat was always located just behind the visitors bench -- so close that opposing teams had to take their huddles out to the middle of the court to escape the harrassment. Now, the visits usually get several hundred seats behind the bench and the areas at midcourt and behind the Duke bench iare reserved for guests -- usually Duke fans, but not as passionate as the Crazies.

Visitors have a lot more breathing room today with the Crazies packed on one side -- and I believe that even the end zones are insulated by guest chairs now. Students on the bench-side of the court are restricted to the corners and a few upper rows.

It's not the same.

subzero02
12-01-2012, 01:37 AM
My favorite game in Cameron was the UNC game my senior year in 2011 when we came down from 14 at the half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjhRnIqLlc

There's a huge improvement in this year's crop versus the student section last year (which I lamented about in that "Call to Arms to My Fellow Crazies" thread). If there's just one thing that I can pass on to the current Crazies to make them better, it's to really be more loud and disruptive on opponent's possessions. There were still moments in the Ohio State game that were pretty quiet and dull with people just standing there - crank up the jumping and the noise and we might have ourselves a fantastic 6th man for this special season.

We didn't come down from 14 at the half... We came back from being down 14 at the half.

Duke76
12-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Impossible to be louder than in 73 when we beat MD with Gary Melchionni being unstoppable

BattierD12
12-01-2012, 09:41 AM
We didn't come down from 14 at the half... We came back from being down 14 at the half.

Haha whoops, thanks for the correction. My late night post-writing doesn't have the best editing...

peterjswift
12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Count me in as another person who loves the "You let your whole team down."

I think it is most appropriate when an opposing player is benched for getting a foul or making a foolish play.

75Crazie
12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Impossible to be louder than in 73 when we beat MD with Gary Melchionni being unstoppable
I have mixed emotions about that game. It was definitely one of the two highlights of my time at Duke (the other being the Robbie West game). And Meilchionni remains one of my favorite players of all time (he was a great person in addition to being a great player). On the other hand ... the reason he had such a great game is because he was running the four corners (Waters called it the Mongoose, but that was just his name for the four corners) -- and I still consider that style of play as one of the great perversions of the game.

dyedwab
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
I thought the crowd was awesome against OSU - great credit to the Crazies, who, as has been pointed out, haven't had a lot of home games yet.

Most important thing about it - the place was LOUD. That is the most important thing about being a Crazy. Walking out of the place drenched in sweat with ringing in your ears? Then you've done your job. :-)

A sports commentator once said, "First you win, then you get good." Similarly, at Cameron, "First you be loud, then you get clever." Start with loudness, and the coordination and cleverness will come it time. And props to our own Native for helping shape what looks to be a stellar crop of Crazies this year.

jimsumner
12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Allow me to agree that Cameron's greatest moment was the Fred Lind game in 1968 ... there will never be anything like that.

I keep checking the ACC Vault to see if that one is added. They are working their way back in the archives, but they are only back to 1983 and still focus mostly on ACC Tournament games. I can't find any clips of the Lind game on youtube or anywhere else on the web. But trust me, the latter part of that game ... and the three iovertimes were the most unbelievable basketball moments I've witnssed (and my memory goes back to the 1961 Duke-UNC brawl). First, it was Duke-UNC. Second, they were the No. 2 ranked team in the country, going for their fifth ranked victory in te series.

And third, Duke's hero was a 6-7 junior who had to that point (the last regular season game) scored exactly 12 points all season.

Just imagine Todd Zafirosky coming off the bench in the final game after being a scrub all season and playing out of his mind to lead Duke to a stunning upset over the best team in the ACC.

Jim Sumner recapped the game in 2008:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

As Joe Kennedy said:" It was surreal"

I think the moment I lost my mind was at the end of the first overtime, when Lind hit a running 22-footer on the break to force a second overtime.

The one thing Jim doesn't mention wasd that after the game, most of the Duke student body waited between Cameron anf Card for Lind to dress (the locker room was in that corner of Cameron in 1968 -- the players exited through the door on the side). When he finally came out, they tried to pick him up and carry him to the Chapel ... in more than 50 years of watching Duke basketball, I've never seen anything like that.

PS One thing that should be mentioned in defense of today's Crazies ... they are working with a handicap. For most of Cameron's history, students packed both sides and both end zones of the court. The only exception was a very small, one-row section for visitors behind their bench and an equally small, one-row section for guests behind the Duke bench. The famous BOG frat was always located just behind the visitors bench -- so close that opposing teams had to take their huddles out to the middle of the court to escape the harrassment. Now, the visits usually get several hundred seats behind the bench and the areas at midcourt and behind the Duke bench iare reserved for guests -- usually Duke fans, but not as passionate as the Crazies.

Visitors have a lot more breathing room today with the Crazies packed on one side -- and I believe that even the end zones are insulated by guest chairs now. Students on the bench-side of the court are restricted to the corners and a few upper rows.

It's not the same.

I was a high school senior in 1968 and watched that marvelous game on TV. But I was in the house four years later, when an unranked Duke team beat Robert McAdoo and company, on the day that the Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium. That was the West game.

The loudest I've ever heard CIS for a moment was '81 v UNC, when Banks tied the game at the end of regulation. The loudest sustained noise was the comeback against Carolina in 1998. Just did not let up.

Gee, I wonder if there's a trend here. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I was a high school senior in 1968 and watched that marvelous game on TV. But I was in the house four years later, when an unranked Duke team beat Robert McAdoo and company, on the day that the Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium. That was the West game.

The loudest I've ever heard CIS for a moment was '81 v UNC, when Banks tied the game at the end of regulation. The loudest sustained noise was the comeback against Carolina in 1998. Just did not let up.

Gee, I wonder if there's a trend here. :)
Oh, the memories! I'll always remember Gene throwing roses to the crowd that night ('81). It was a magical night!

jimsumner
12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Old-timers (defined as anyone older than me. :) ) reference a December 1964 game between Duke and Michigan. This was a Michigan team that went on to lose to UCLA in that season's title game. Cazzie Russell, Bill Buntin, Oliver Darden. Really good team.

Anyway. Duke was trailing late but made a spirited comeback. It fell short. Michigan held on for the win. But folks who were there say the Indoor Stadium was as loud during that comeback as it has ever been. Bubas told me this was the loudest he ever heard it. Someone--may have been Dick Herbert-compared it to standing under a 747 at takeoff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Old-timers (defined as anyone older than me. :) ) reference a December 1964 game between Duke and Michigan. This was a Michigan team that went on to lose to UCLA in that season's title game. Cazzie Russell, Bill Buntin, Oliver Darden. Really good team.

Anyway. Duke was trailing late but made a spirited comeback. It fell short. Michigan held on for the win. But folks who were there say the Indoor Stadium was as loud during that comeback as it has ever been. Bubas told me this was the loudest he ever heard it. Someone--may have been Dick Herbert-compared it to standing under a 747 at takeoff.
Oh, yes! That game! I was sitting under the basket for that one. It was a heady atmosphere..... a wonderful time to be a Duke student!

throatybeard
12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
There are really at least two sorts of loud, sustained loud (1998 Duke-UNC), and burst of loud (2002 Georgia Tech--K waves his arms).

Trajan's three against Carolina in 1997 is worthy of really loud "burst of loud" consideration.

ricks68
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM

I got crushed into the corner as I tried to enter the Indoor Stadium and was unable to get center court. So, I had to settle for a little off-center. Yes, it was loud, but still not as loud as the Lind game. I was also at the side door for Freddy. He kept being dropped, so there was no way to get him to the chapel. That was also the year of the Lost Weekend in Carolina headline on the cover of SI, when we really stomped UCLA in back-to-back games in the Indoor Stadium (by something like 14) and in Charlotte (by maybe 16---or vice-versa). One correction, however, I do believe that Cazzie Russell had graduated the year before, and Oliver Darden was their star at the time. Too lazy to check my yearbook, but I think what I said about those games is pretty close to correct.

ricks

dukebluelemur
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Exactly, if anything in the recent years crazies have pulled the special element OUT of that cheer, once used in the most intense, closely fought situations, and turned it into their own version of 'drive home safely!' Something that has disappointed me a bit.

uh_no
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Exactly, if anything in the recent years crazies have pulled the special element OUT of that cheer, once used in the most intense, closely fought situations, and turned it into their own version of 'drive home safely!' Something that has disappointed me a bit.

or a reminder that you don't take a trip to cameron lightly.....

jimsumner
12-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I got crushed into the corner as I tried to enter the Indoor Stadium and was unable to get center court. So, I had to settle for a little off-center. Yes, it was loud, but still not as loud as the Lind game. I was also at the side door for Freddy. He kept being dropped, so there was no way to get him to the chapel. That was also the year of the Lost Weekend in Carolina headline on the cover of SI, when we really stomped UCLA in back-to-back games in the Indoor Stadium (by something like 14) and in Charlotte (by maybe 16---or vice-versa). One correction, however, I do believe that Cazzie Russell had graduated the year before, and Oliver Darden was their star at the time. Too lazy to check my yearbook, but I think what I said about those games is pretty close to correct.

ricks

Darden was never the star. He and Russell were classmates. Bill Buntin was one year ahead of them. Russell and Darden were juniors that year, Buntin a senior.

The game was played December 5, 1964. Russell led Michigan with 21 points. Buntin and Darden had 17 points, Buntin 14 rebounds.

Steve Vacendak led Duke with 23 points.

As I mentioned earlier, this team advanced to the 1965 NCAA title game, where they lost to UCLA.

Russell was a consensus first-team All-America that year and one of the best players of the decade. Not easy to forget.:)

Newton_14
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
The loudest moment for me was the 2011 UNC game when Kelly hit the 3 to take the lead. I literally almost passed out. I was screaming but it was so loud I could not hear my own scream. I got very light headed and almost went down for the count. From that moment on I could not holler or attempt to. Each time I tried the light headed-ness started right back, so I just raised my arms with every bucket by Nolan and Seth who just combined to torch the heels. Best game ever for me personally.

I was sick and missed the OSU game last week so not sure how it compares to the 2011 UNC game. Sounded very loud on TV though.

devilsetfree
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM
As a Crazie from '93-'01 who attended basically all home games not over winter break, I can definitively say the loudest I ever experienced Cameron had to be after the 1995 Capel 3-pointer to go into double OT against Carolina. I was initially sitting on the non-TV side corner near the band, and in the ensuing ruckus reminiscent of a mosh pit on bleachers, I landed near mid-court right in front. That was the loudest "burst of noise" moment during my tenure, and nothing else really even comes close. Total Mayhem for several MINUTES. I think it was the duration of pure pandemonium that sets that moment apart from many cherished others.

jimsumner
12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
We probably need to divide this into two categories.

Duke v. Carolina.

Duke v, rest-of-the-known-universe.

DukeHLM'13
12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
We probably need to divide this into two categories.

Duke v. Carolina.

Duke v, rest-of-the-known-universe.

In my 3 and a half years the Carolina category definitely goes to Kelly's 3 in 2011 to take the lead. Never been anywhere that loud in my life.

As for non-UNC, its close between OSU this year and the comeback against State last year, but probably have to go with state being louder.

But OSU probably comes in number 3, behind those 2, for the best games that I have been to as an undergrad (all home games in the last 3+ years). I wish that it could be like that all of the time, or even more of the time. There's a good group of us that work hard to make it as loud as we can at every game, but its tough to get the students to come out like they used to.

uh_no
12-04-2012, 11:35 PM
The loudest moment for me was the 2011 UNC game when Kelly hit the 3 to take the lead. I literally almost passed out. I was screaming but it was so loud I could not hear my own scream. I got very light headed and almost went down for the count. From that moment on I could not holler or attempt to. Each time I tried the light headed-ness started right back, so I just raised my arms with every bucket by Nolan and Seth who just combined to torch the heels. Best game ever for me personally.

I was sick and missed the OSU game last week so not sure how it compares to the 2011 UNC game. Sounded very loud on TV though.

Couple people I know who were at both say UNC was louder. I was only at the UNC game but wish so much i could have been there last wednesday

ricks68
12-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Darden was never the star. He and Russell were classmates. Bill Buntin was one year ahead of them. Russell and Darden were juniors that year, Buntin a senior.

The game was played December 5, 1964. Russell led Michigan with 21 points. Buntin and Darden had 17 points, Buntin 14 rebounds.

Steve Vacendak led Duke with 23 points.

As I mentioned earlier, this team advanced to the 1965 NCAA title game, where they lost to UCLA.

Russell was a consensus first-team All-America that year and one of the best players of the decade. Not easy to forget.:)

Never doubt Jim Sumner.;) I was even off on the UCLA games, as we beat them by 16 and 19---------and, that was the next year. Sheesh! I am just sooooooooooooooo old.:eek:

ricks

MulletMan
12-05-2012, 08:06 AM

If only you were a current student your disappointment might resonate. Times change, cheers change, no use crying into your beer.

wk2109
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
In my 3 and a half years the Carolina category definitely goes to Kelly's 3 in 2011 to take the lead. Never been anywhere that loud in my life.

I was at that game and I thought Nolan's 3-point play was louder (but Kelly's 3 was obviously very loud too) -- Nolan expressed the same sentiment in a dukeblueplanet video (play #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiE7RW_hyeU). That was the first and only time in my life I thought I could actually see sound.

Dev11
12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I was at that game and I thought Nolan's 3-point play was louder (but Kelly's 3 was obviously very loud too) -- Nolan expressed the same sentiment in a dukeblueplanet video (play #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiE7RW_hyeU). That was the first and only time in my life I thought I could actually see sound.

Ditto, the play I remember from that game was Nolan's breakaway, mainly because I totally lost my mind after he slammed it home.

blazindw
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Ditto, the play I remember from that game was Nolan's breakaway, mainly because I totally lost my mind after he slammed it home.

And Josh Hairston's reaction...timeless. My friends and I still recreate that moment when we watch exciting plays during Duke Basketball games.

scottdude8
12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
In the non-UNC category I have to put in my vote for the NC-State comeback. I was actually covering that game for the Chronicle, so I was sitting center court on press row (ie, about as close to being on the court as you possibly could be). At one point I turned to my colleague next to me to make a comment and found that I couldn't hear the words coming out of my mouth, let alone communicate with a person who was sitting 6 inches away from me. So I'm fairly certain that NC State may have been having communication problems as well :D

Another game to consider: Maryland in 2009, when we were at one point up 40. It was like the Harlem Globetrotters out there, and the Crazies certainly enjoyed it.

As far as the UNC category, I think people are forgetting the 2010 blowout. Miles' alley-oop in garbage time, despite us already being up 30, felt like an explosion going off.

throatybeard
12-05-2012, 11:26 PM
"Cameron was louder when my era's teams played Carolina than ever before or after."

Sincerely,
Everyone

PS - GT 2002 -- K gets live

gep
12-05-2012, 11:28 PM

After you guys talked about Ryan's 3 in 2011 against unc, I had to go back and re-watch the game (on theacc.com). I ended up watching the entire game. Amazing stuff... Thank you Duke, and, GO DUKE!!!

-bdbd
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Just got my Dec 10th copy of Sports Illustrated, with King James on the cover, in the mail today. About ten pages in is a full 2-page photo of OSU Forward Sam Thompson bringing the ball in along the "student" sideline. As usual, the whole Duke student section is reaching out and taunting him. Great photo! (And great job Crazies!!!) :eek:

P.S. Those of you who get SI, take a look at page 89 as well. A nice, 1-page article on another well-known Duke personality and his charitable work with nutrition for kids, especially in US inner-city "food deserts." Probably my all-time favorite Dukie, Grant Hill.

Kimist
12-06-2012, 03:51 PM
At the risk of sounding argumentative (which I'm not), or old (which I am).....

While I understand most of the comments made here, it is somewhat unfair to compare the most recent seasons (let's say perhaps since Coach K's first NCAA title?) to what came before.

Most people would say certain players within the Krzyzewski stable were the absolute best....but never saw Verga or Gminski or Mullins or Spanarkel or Banks or Heyman or Ferry or even Laettner and G Hill play. Yes, the game has changed (from freshmen could not play to the arrival of the "Smith Memorial" shot clock). David Thompson was not allowed to dunk the basketball, and Bob Verga would likely have broken all kinds of scoring records if he had the luxury of a 3-point shot.

Cameron still has its moments, and the ones cited here are valid. But there were some equally noteworthy moments in years gone by. I still stand by the Fred Lind game as the most awesome. When I WAS on the bleachers I remember at times when you could actually FEEL the sound waves. And for the really old crusties, look up at the ceiling. During the Bubas years they had suspended sound insulation panels hanging down over the arena. (I think those went to a nearby college??)

The observations on the noise levels are not unlike the comments in an off-topic thread regarding classic movie lines. Many of the "originals" have never been heard by anyone under the age of thirty, and conversely many of those now garnering votes are totally known to those oft-mentioned "crusties."

OK, I've said my peace and hopefully offended no one. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective here. Others who attended basketball games in CIS "before it became Cameron" are welcome to chime in.

k

ricks68
12-06-2012, 05:36 PM
At the risk of sounding argumentative (which I'm not), or old (which I am).....

While I understand most of the comments made here, it is somewhat unfair to compare the most recent seasons (let's say perhaps since Coach K's first NCAA title?) to what came before.

Most people would say certain players within the Krzyzewski stable were the absolute best....but never saw Verga or Gminski or Mullins or Spanarkel or Banks or Heyman or Ferry or even Laettner and G Hill play. Yes, the game has changed (from freshmen could not play to the arrival of the "Smith Memorial" shot clock). David Thompson was not allowed to dunk the basketball, and Bob Verga would likely have broken all kinds of scoring records if he had the luxury of a 3-point shot.

Cameron still has its moments, and the ones cited here are valid. But there were some equally noteworthy moments in years gone by. I still stand by the Fred Lind game as the most awesome. When I WAS on the bleachers I remember at times when you could actually FEEL the sound waves. And for the really old crusties, look up at the ceiling. During the Bubas years they had suspended sound insulation panels hanging down over the arena. (I think those went to a nearby college??)

The observations on the noise levels are not unlike the comments in an off-topic thread regarding classic movie lines. Many of the "originals" have never been heard by anyone under the age of thirty, and conversely many of those now garnering votes are totally known to those oft-mentioned "crusties."

OK, I've said my peace and hopefully offended no one. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective here. Others who attended basketball games in CIS "before it became Cameron" are welcome to chime in.

k

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" because some of us old "crusties" who were there at the Freddy Lind game, were also lucky enough to be there for the more recent come-from-behind NC State game and the 2011 UNC game and the 2010 FF (which was, in my opinion, even louder than many of the others-----but that game, obviously, wasn't even in Cameron).

"Here's looking at you, kid(s)" who missed out on so many great moments in the Indoor Stadium because you weren't even on this Earth yet. And, yes, I also believe that Verga would have had all kinds of scoring records with the extra year and the 3-point shot. But then, hasn't it been wonderful to have experienced so many of these magical events? And, aren't we fortunate to have the opportunity to experience even more in the future?

So, here's a salute to all the DBR members, both smoothe and "crustie".:D May we be able to celebrate many, many more great Duke basketball moments together!:)

ricks68

DukeHLM'13
12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" because some of us old "crusties" who were there at the Freddy Lind game, were also lucky enough to be there for the more recent come-from-behind NC State game and the 2011 UNC game and the 2010 FF (which was, in my opinion, even louder than many of the others-----but that game, obviously, wasn't even in Cameron).

"Here's looking at you, kid(s)" who missed out on so many great moments in the Indoor Stadium because you weren't even on this Earth yet. And, yes, I also believe that Verga would have had all kinds of scoring records with the extra year and the 3-point shot. But then, hasn't it been wonderful to have experienced so many of these magical events? And, aren't we fortunate to have the opportunity to experience even more in the future?

So, here's a salute to all the DBR members, both smoothe and "crustie".:D May we be able to celebrate many, many more great Duke basketball moments together!:)

ricks68

Very well put. Hoping that I can get one or two more really great ones in before I graduate.

Olympic Fan
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I admit that I fall into the category of old farts.

But I still insist that Cameron used to be louder at its loudest than it is even at its best these days -- and, again, I argue that it's because the great bulk of the seating on the scorer's table side no longer belongs to the undergrads, but is allotted to guests of the school and the program. Now those are usually fans, but they are older and not as loud as the students used to be,

Next big game, take a look at the students behind press row and imagine the same kind of hysteria on the other side. You'll see the difference.

Cameron DID used to be louder and more boisterous.

And while that comes from an old fogey, I don't think it's an old fogeyism.

-jk
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM

But I still insist that Cameron used to be louder at its loudest than it is even at its best these days -- and, again, I argue that it's because the great bulk of the seating on the scorer's table side no longer belongs to the undergrads, but is allotted to guests of the school and the program. Now those are usually fans, but they are older and not as loud as the students used to be,

Next big game, take a look at the students behind press row and imagine the same kind of hysteria on the other side. You'll see the difference.

I think you're right, overall.

I do think the crowd - on rare, special occasions - can still crank it up. But in general, it's much harder for Cameron to sustain a full-bore roar.

Alas, we can't seem to get 3,000(?) students to show anymore.

-jk

uh_no
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I think you're right, overall.

I do think the crowd - on rare, special occasions - can still crank it up. But in general, it's much harder for Cameron to sustain a full-bore roar.

Alas, we can't seem to get 3,000(?) students to show anymore.

-jk

1600 max.

only having stands on half the court certainly puts current crop of kids at a disadvantage. Given, they haven't filled the stands recently. That will change, I think, with the additions to the ACC....big games week in and week out is something we haven't had for some time, in my opinion. People cite rivalries....but rivalries of years gone by, like with virginia, don't mean much to today's kids....the big 4....games against Wake don't mean much (unless wake is good)

students come for good games....and good games are coming soon for the students!

gep
12-06-2012, 09:38 PM
1600 max.

only having stands on half the court certainly puts current crop of kids at a disadvantage. Given, they haven't filled the stands recently. That will change, I think, with the additions to the ACC....big games week in and week out is something we haven't had for some time, in my opinion. People cite rivalries....but rivalries of years gone by, like with virginia, don't mean much to today's kids....the big 4....games against Wake don't mean much (unless wake is good)

students come for good games....and good games are coming soon for the students!

Interesting... this might be the first comment I've read that is actually a positive for basketball with ACC expansion... :o

-jk
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
1600 max.

20 or 30 years ago, almost the entire bleacher area was undergrad seating. 3,000ish seats (though you can't sit). There were 50 or so visitor seats behind the visitor bench, and some duke guest seats behind our bench. And those folding chairs in the ends. The rest of the bleachers were all undergrads. About 3,000 of us. Even the grad students were upstairs.

Then undergrad attendance dwindled year by year. To fill the bleachers, Duke moved the grads downstairs. By not showing up, the students slowly ceded most the end next to the pep band and more and more of sec 19. Today, the undergrads have sec 17 and the pep band part of 18. 20 is all grad students - who uphold their end magnificently. 19 has just a few overflow students in the corners. Regardless of reasons, it is far cry from where it was, and simply for lack of attendance.

The crusties, regardless of whether we sit up or down, aren't as loud as the crazies - excepting a few (wonderful) moments a year. Some of us still try, but it isn't the same. (My vocal cords, certainly, aren't the same, but I still wield a mean whistle!)

I'm not offering this as a hit on the undergrads - hell, under today's admissions I'd have been in a safety school - but as historical context. Times change. Students change. Schools change. It's still the best place to see a game, though. Especially during those (wonderful) moments...

-jk

pfrduke
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM

As a (not too long ago - at least I keep telling myself that) former student, I'm very saddened by the loss of student seating on the scorers table side. Those used to be my favorite, for two reasons: (1) you could show up later and get better seats, because most people wanted to sit on the TV side, and (2) there were often scouts sitting directly behind the scorers table who were more than willing to talk to slightly drunk college students. I had one fascinating halftime conversation with a scout for the Cavaliers during the 2002 Maryland game discussing whether Mike Dunleavy would ever play good enough defense to last in the NBA (the answer to which, in my opinion then and now, is that he doesn't but it doesn't matter).

throatybeard
12-06-2012, 11:30 PM
As a (not too long ago - at least I keep telling myself that) former student, I'm very saddened by the loss of student seating on the scorers table side. Those used to be my favorite, for two reasons: (1) you could show up later and get better seats, because most people wanted to sit on the TV side, and (2) there were often scouts sitting directly behind the scorers table who were more than willing to talk to slightly drunk college students. I had one fascinating halftime conversation with a scout for the Cavaliers during the 2002 Maryland game discussing whether Mike Dunleavy would ever play good enough defense to last in the NBA (the answer to which, in my opinion then and now, is that he doesn't but it doesn't matter).

"Not too long ago" is absolutely right.

I spent the 1995 UNC game on the non-TV side, high fiving Stephanie Amaker above the rail from time to time. Like PFR says, we still called them "the TV side" and "the non-TV side". There was a belief among local (North Carolina-based) students that the media whores turned out much better for RAYCOM games than ESPN games, because it was easier to get into the main part of the TV side, and your relatives would see you. This was probably a relatively small number of people who were doing this, but it was there.

We called the seats behind the Duke bench reserved for paying customers "the cushy butt seats" because they had that blue padding on it.

I had a girlfriend from France during frosh year, a HS senior or its equivalent over there, and I snuck her into the lower bowl for the 1995 FSU and Maryland games with a scalpie. Her spot was such that she could save me a non-TV side seat adjacent after I went in through the north entrance after making sure her sneak-in was successful.

The 1995 UNC game is the last game I remember where we were playing catch with tennis balls across the court during warmups. This was before TSA or whatever.

Anyway, get off my lawn while Bill Werber served the beer, but it really hasn't been that long since the court was almost entirely surrounded by students. I may be coming up on my fifteenth reunion, but we aren't talking about Lind or Groat or Koffenberger, either. Just Jeff Capel.

That said, I value the international students and the students who, in general, don't think the world revolves around college basketball. Because it doesn't. And if I could tell 18yo me to do something, it would be to study more and wander into the corner seats near game time.

Dukeface88
12-07-2012, 01:20 AM

I spent the 1995 UNC game on the non-TV side, high fiving Stephanie Amaker above the rail from time to time. Like PFR says, we still called them "the TV side" and "the non-TV side". There was a belief among local (North Carolina-based) students that the media whores turned out much better for RAYCOM games than ESPN games, because it was easier to get into the main part of the TV side, and your relatives would see you. This was probably a relatively small number of people who were doing this, but it was there.

We called the seats behind the Duke bench reserved for paying customers "the cushy butt seats" because they had that blue padding on it.

I had a girlfriend from France during frosh year, a HS senior or its equivalent over there, and I snuck her into the lower bowl for the 1995 FSU and Maryland games with a scalpie. Her spot was such that she could save me a non-TV side seat adjacent after I went in through the north entrance after making sure her sneak-in was successful.

The 1995 UNC game is the last game I remember where we were playing catch with tennis balls across the court during warmups. This was before TSA or whatever.

Anyway, get off my lawn while Bill Werber served the beer, but it really hasn't been that long since the court was almost entirely surrounded by students. I may be coming up on my fifteenth reunion, but we aren't talking about Lind or Groat or Koffenberger, either. Just Jeff Capel.

That said, I value the international students and the students who, in general, don't think the world revolves around college basketball. Because it doesn't. And if I could tell 18yo me to do something, it would be to study more and wander into the corner seats near game time.

It's been even more recent than that - I remember sitting on the non-TV-side for the FSU game as a junior (which would have been 2009). IIRC, the students lost those seats the year after.

uh_no
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
It's been even more recent than that - I remember sitting on the non-TV-side for the FSU game as a junior (which would have been 2009). IIRC, the students lost those seats the year after.

They changed it for the 2009-2010 season when they moved grad students in next to the band. They had to put the "guests" somewhere, so they moved them behind the scorers table, and moved the undergrad seats into spots in section 17 in the far corner that had been used for grad students...so the actual # of undergrad seats didn't change. The number of graduate seats rose slightly.

Jderf
12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
If only you were a current student your disappointment might resonate. Times change, cheers change, no use crying into your beer.

Right. It's hard for us alums to admit sometimes, but we do not own the cheers. They are passed down to the next generation to be used in whatever way deemed necessary. These things are not set in stone, but change and grow as time goes on. Lord knows that we certainly took many liberties with the cheers in our own time. Let 'em do the cheers the way they do them, and reminisce all you want about how we used to do them -- but any talk about the current crazies doing cheers "wrong" or "worse" than in the past is pure and utter nonsense.

Cameron is and always will be the best place on Earth to see a basketball game.

Bluedog
12-07-2012, 03:23 PM

They changed it for the 2009-2010 season when they moved grad students in next to the band. They had to put the "guests" somewhere, so they moved them behind the scorers table, and moved the undergrad seats into spots in section 17 in the far corner that had been used for grad students...so the actual # of undergrad seats didn't change. The number of graduate seats rose slightly.

Exactly - the number of seats remained the same (although not talking about the 3000+ student section in the 70s, just the more recent reconfiguration). This change was made coming from the top to have students behind the basket when the opposing team was shooting free throws in the second half. Mickie Kzyzewski spoke about it to the Crazies before it happened. Although studies have shown that the distractions don't really affect free throw makes at all really (at least when it's random noise, coordinated movements can actually have an effect), they thought students could have more of an impact, especially in tense second half free throw moments.

To get students behind the basket of the opposing team in the second half, they could either switch the visitor and home team bench location (not gonna happen) or move students around. So, they moved grad students from the TV side corner to both endzones and the non-TV side undergrad seats to the TV side corner. Same number. As an undergrad, the old configuration was better, but I'm sure grad students like being behind the basket more and now we have people actually trying to get the free throw shooter to miss whereas before it was the "high rollers" in the cushy blue seats just sitting there quietly (the band tried their best, but they're off more to the side and could only do so much).

throatybeard
12-07-2012, 03:37 PM
This nomenclature of "TV Side" and "Non-TV Side" is going to be really hilarious to the class of 2060, as they view games on the computer chips implanted in their brains, the signal delivered by 20 tiny flying cameras that operate on autopilot.

I'll be either dead, or worried that Steven Wojciechowski III is going to transfer because the coach isn't playing him enough.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'll be either dead, or worried that Steven Wojciechowski III is going to transfer because the coach isn't playing him enough.

Coach Jeff Capel IV is future-killing us with his short rotation.

DukieInKansas
12-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Coach Jeff Capel IV is future-killing us with his short rotation.

The good news is that DukieInKansas IV has seats behind the bench. Anyone want to join me?

devilirium
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Some great range of responses with OSU. I also attended the UNC " down 14 at half" game. I thought OSU was consistently louder--but I realize that the first half of that UNC game left s lot to be desired.

A suggestion for the Crazies re: Quinn. I would love to hear a " Cookin With Gas" chant in staccato mode after a nice assist for a score or to chant it after one of his scores. He is slick with the ball and able to put Duke on a run like Kyrie at
times-. Instant offense ( and defense) and thus explosive !

devildeac
12-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Some great range of responses with OSU. I also attended the UNC " down 14 at half" game. I thought OSU was consistently louder--but I realize that the first half of that UNC game left s lot to be desired.

A suggestion for the Crazies re: Quinn. I would love to hear a " Cookin With Gas" chant in staccato mode after a nice assist for a score or to chant it after one of his scores. He is slick with the ball and able to put Duke on a run like Kyrie at
times-. Instant offense ( and defense) and thus explosive !

I personally like "Cookin' with Curry" better when Quinn and Seth team up for a great play. A bit more spicy:rolleyes:;).

devilirium
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
^ well played..keep'em coming. The Crazies need to break in some new stuff.

BlueDevil16
12-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Or Quinn's Cooks can come back

-bdbd
12-08-2012, 12:18 AM
This nomenclature of "TV Side" and "Non-TV Side" is going to be really hilarious to the class of 2060, as they view games on the computer chips implanted in their brains, the signal delivered by 20 tiny flying cameras that operate on autopilot.

Well, if the Mayans have anything to say about it, I'll just be happy if/when we simply make it to the Santa Clara game!!!

Steven43
12-08-2012, 12:40 AM

When I used to come to games with grad student tickets from 2000-2004 all of the bleachers--save for some seats behind both benches that likely were reserved for team relatives and/friends--were filled with students. I have continued to come to games ever since--though I haven't been able to stand with the students since 2004--but I don't remember exactly which year it began to change to what it is now. Over the past 8 years or so there seemed to be fewer and fewer students standing on the scorer's table side. Now they are almost non-existent. I cannot believe that this has happened due to student apathy. The Duke student body has changed fairly dramatically in just the past ten years. I doubt it will ever return to what it was.

ricks68
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM
I personally like "Cookin' with Curry" better when Quinn and Seth team up for a great play. A bit more spicy:rolleyes:;).

Nice.:)

ricks