PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Red and Grey in the Upper Deck for the Ohio State Game

B-well
11-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Resale of Cameron tickets on the Internet must be reaching unprecedented levels. I guess the big bucks are just too much for some Iron Dukes to resist. Two OSU fans in Section 5, Row H, Seats 9 and 11 eventually became pretty subdued - but they were a pain early on.

westwall
11-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Surely you mean "scarlet and gray", but if they were two rows behind us, they could not have been very loud at any point

roywhite
11-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Kirk Herbstreit, ex-Buckeye QB and current ESPN commentator, was at the game with his family.

I'll be interested to hear his account of the Cameron experience.

B-well
11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Surely you mean "scarlet and gray", but if they were two rows behind us, they could not have been very loud at any point

Faded scarlet loooks pretty much like red to me

jipops
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Michael Redd was also at the game. He gave K a huge hug as he walked out on the floor before tip-off. Those guys obviously bonded quite a bit during the Olympics in '08.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Anybody notice Charlie Scott behind the Ohio State bench (dressed all in black with a black baseball cap)? His son Shannon Scott plays for the Buckeyes -- a nice player, even if he went 1-for-8 from the floor.

And former Duke interim coach Pete Gaudet was also in the stands.

As for the Ohio State people in the upper deck, I can't believe it was a huge number. They were not very noticeable from where I was sitting.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
There were a fair number of them, but they were pretty well spread out. OSU fans are everywhere, like Duke fans, only 100X more of them. I had no problem with the few near us. And they did leave about a minute early! :cool:

CameronBlue
11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Anybody notice Charlie Scott behind the Ohio State bench (dressed all in black with a black baseball cap)? His son Shannon Scott plays for the Buckeyes -- a nice player, even if he went 1-for-8 from the floor.

As for the Ohio State people in the upper deck, I can't believe it was a huge number. They were not very noticeable from where I was sitting.

"Former interim coach...?" Interesting that you would refer to Gaudet that way. Those of us outside the program who think we possess a true insider's knowledge of Duke Basketball but probably don't, credit Gaudet for a lot of Duke's success of the late 80s early 90s and still cringe a bit when we hear the lunatic ramblings of other fanbases about how K "threw Gaudet under the bus" (not in reference to the won-loss record by the way.) A historian's view of Gaudet's contributions to Duke basketball would help us expert-wannabes.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

The presence of a noticeable number of visiting fans upstairs is a trend that's gained traction over the past 5 years. Some seats near where I am rarely seem to have the ticket holders who bought the tickets from Duke. A casual survey of the various sources of tickets online also shows trends in where the resold seats are located. More interesting and surprising to me was the number who showed up in the chairs down on court side.

Some fans from tOSU sat next to us last night. They seemed puzzled at the history of Cameron, when it was built and how it was paid for. If their attire was a clue, they may not have ever been in Columbus as a student. I've seen LSU fans wear similar items in their school colors at their tailgate parties, something of connection to their land grant college origins. ;)

Lid
11-29-2012, 01:15 PM

I thought there were many more than usual, and that was also the general consensus of those around us. Maybe the red (sorry, scarlet) stood out more than some other schools' colors? There were quite a few near us, but they were fine -- cheered for their team, didn't complain, and left quietly. My favorite kind of opposing fan. Just wish those seats were going to Dukies more.

Kimist
11-29-2012, 01:51 PM
All things considered, it is not "the end of the world" if a fan from the opposing school somehow appears in the upper seating area. FWIW, I have been known to have a friend from "another" school accompany me to a game, and I've even (gasp!) attended with a friend a game in that large building in Orange County. We both (within reason) supported our teams at the proper moments.

OTOH: I have had fans from another school (unc/ncsu seem most common) to appear in seats and, likely with excessive bottled spirits, make a complete donkey of themselves. (You now can even text security with the seat location of such offenders, and they may well show them the exits!).

But there ARE seats in Cameron that are obviously being resold on a regular basis, frequently on the internet. (Many businesses have multiple seats within CIS.) Such actions are strictly prohibited by the rules established by the Iron Dukes. I have no idea as to how/if such rules are actually enforced by them.

k