PDA

View Full Version : Carmen Wallace and others in the Duke Family

watzone
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I hope that you take the time to read the interview with Carmen Wallace which is linked on the front page. He represents Duke in a solid manner, much like Capel, Carrawell, James and many others I have interviewed. No matter who the player is, they came away with something from their Duke experience.

I started to think about influental alums and came up with a few names. Billy King and Danny Ferry certainly offer some alum opportunities with their NBA ties. Clarence Newsome is the President of Shaw University ... John Allison a CEO for BB & T.

Then there is Sean McManus the president of CBS. What list is complete without Elizabeth Dole? Oh Yeah! Richard Wagoner is the President of General Motors.

Duke gets exposure from the likes of Bilas on ESPN.

So, who have I left out?

Lord Ash
08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I really enjoyed it, Wat! As usual, fun stuff! I loved Carmen... didn't he have like a 44 or 46 inch vertical or something?

On an aside, and as a teacher, I gotta say "Check your spelling!" tho, you had a few creep in there. :D

wilson
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
So, who have I left out?

The first couple who come to mind are:

CNN's Judy Woodruff
MSNBC's Dan Abrams

I'll keep thinking and return if I come up with more.

wilson
08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
William Styron & Anne Tyler (both Pulitzer winners in Literature)

Melinda Gates (though to be fair, I think she's mostly good at giving her husband's money away...a noble pursuit nonetheless)

watzone
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Jeffrey Vinik, Chairman and CEO of Vinick Asset Management

John Mack, CEO and Chairman at Morgan Stanley

Ricardo Lagos, President of Chili

David Hartman, TV host

wilson
08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
President of Chili

Is that position analagous to "Prime Minster of paella"? Or "Emperor of Eggs"? Or "Despot of doughnuts"? ;)

Oriole Way
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty certain talk show host Charlie Rose is a Duke alum.

TillyGalore
08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
The first couple who come to mind are:

CNN's Judy Woodruff
MSNBC's Dan Abrams

I'll keep thinking and return if I come up with more.

Judy Woodruff is back at PBS. My dad thinks she is being groomed to take over for Jim Lehrer.

Indoor66
08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty certain talk show host Charlie Rose is a Duke alum.

Charlie was Law, '68

watzone
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
All of the NBA Alum

Pete Nichols, founder of Boston Scientific

There was some guy that played a role in Braveheart. Seems as if I saw his name in an old thread, but my memory is shot;)

heyman25
08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Alan Schwartz CEO Bear Stearns of Schwartz Butters bldg
Shelley Moore Capito serving in the House of Representatives for West Virginia
John Harwood of CNBC and the Wall Street Journal.
They claimed John Chambers of Cisco was on Wikpedia but that was false.
Gary Wilson used to run Northwest Airlines and was CFO for Disney in the nineties. Wilson Rec Center

heyman25
08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
oh yeah the Braveheart screenwriter is Randall Wallace and I think director.
David Hudgins wrote Everwood and Friday Night Lights for NBC

Bluedog
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
They claimed John Chambers of Cisco was on Wikpedia but that was false.

John Chambers attended Duke for a year, but just didn't graduate from Duke - so wikipedia is accurate. The Alumni Association considers anybody who anyone who attended Duke for two consecutive semesters and left the University in good standing to be an alumnus.

http://pratt.duke.edu/news/?id=343

"Chambers attended Duke University from 1967 until 1968. While at Duke, he was a member of the School of Engineering and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Mr. Chambers presently holds strong ties to Duke University. He helps with the Annual Fund and is a member of the President’s Executive Council. He has also funded two endowments for the School of Engineering."

VaDukie
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Ron Paul is a Duke Med grad.

watzone
08-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Actors - Annnabeth Gish, X-Files Showtimes Brotherhood. Jack Coleman of Heroes.

heyman25
08-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Bailey Chase who played Duke football and Spencer Garrett are 2 working actors in Hollywood.both Duke alums

Jim3k
08-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Charlie was Law, '68

Charlie was an undergraduate, too. Class of '64.

Jarhead
08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
What about Rick Wagonerhttp://www.surferess.com/CEO/html/richard_wagoner.html, top dog at GM. How could he be missed? He received his BA from Duke in 1975 and an MBA degree Harvard in 1977.

johnb
08-14-2007, 05:38 PM
From Wikipedia:

Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States, Elizabeth Dole, senior United States Senator from North Carolina and former President of the American Red Cross, and Ricardo Lagos, 33rd President of Chile from 2000 to 2006, are among the most notable alumni with involvement in politics. In the research realm, Duke graduates who have won the Nobel Prize in Physics include Hans Dehmelt for his development of the ion trap technique, Robert Richardson for his discovery of superfluidity in helium-3, and Charles Townes for his work on quantum electronics.

Several alumni hold top positions at large companies. The current or former Chairman, President, Vice president, or CEO of each of the following Fortune 500 companies is a Duke alumnus: BB&T Corporation (John A. Allison IV), Bear Stearns (Alan Schwartz), Boston Scientific Corporation (Peter Nicholas), Cisco Systems (John Chambers), ExxonMobil (Rex Adams), General Motors Corporation (Rick Wagoner), Morgan Stanley (John J. Mack), Norfolk Southern (David R. Goode), Northwest Airlines (Gary L. Wilson), PepsiCo, Inc. (Karl von der Heyden), and Pfizer (Edmund T. Pratt, Jr.). Kevin Martin is Chairman of the FCC, and Rex Adams serves as the Chairman of PBS. Another alumna, Melinda Gates, is the co-founder of the $31.9 billion Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the nation's wealthiest charitable foundation.[165][166]

John Feinstein is a notable sportswriter for The Washington Post, while Charlie Rose is a former contributor for 60 Minutes II and currently hosts his own talk show. Judy Woodruff is a senior correspondent for The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS and was formerly NBC's White House correspondent and an anchor for CNN. Jay Bilas is a basketball analyst for ESPN who co-hosts College GameNight and College GameDay, and also joins CBS as a game analyst for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. Sean McManus is president of both CBS Sports and CBS News, while Dan Abrams serves as the General Manager of MSNBC.

William C. Styron won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1968 for his novel The Confessions of Nat Turner and is also well-known for his 1979 novel Sophie's Choice. The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction was also awarded to Anne Tyler for her 1988 novel Breathing Lessons. Rik Kirkland serves as a Managing Editor for the magazine Fortune, while Clay Felker is a founding editor of New York. John Harwood is the Chief Washington Correspondent for CNBC, a Senior Contributing Writer for The Wall Street Journal, and frequent panelist on Washington Week. In the arts realm, Annabeth Gish (actress in the X-Files and The West Wing), Randall Wallace (screenwriter, producer, and director, Braveheart, Pearl Harbor, We Were Soldiers), and David Hudgins (television writer and producer, Everwood, Friday Night Lights) headline the list. Finally, several athletes have become stars at the professional level, especially in basketball's NBA. Shane Battier, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, and Grant Hill are among the most famous.

hurleyfor3
08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
One of the three founders of the Carlyle Group is a Duke alumnus and trustee; forget which one but it's easily googleable.

Edit: It's David Rubenstein.

http://www.thecarlylegroup.com/eng/team/l5-team446.html

dkbaseball
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Alan Schwartz CEO Bear Stearns of Schwartz Butters bldg

Al is president of Bear Stearns, not CEO. He had a co-president who was fired by the CEO last week, apparently the main reason being the acquisition of too strong a position in garbage mortgages. Al survives as, according to the WSJ, a "seasoned rainmaker" with plenty of experience in mergers. He was an excellent pitcher for Duke, and has the 4th or 5th best career ERA in program history.

Also, I haven't seen Congressman Nick Rahall of West Virginia mentioned in the thread. Nor Dick Groat -- National League MVP in 1960.

heyman25
08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Chesapeake Energy's CEO or president Aubrey McClendon is trying to move Seattle Supersonics to Oklahoma City. Another illustrious Duke Alum. He is one of several new coowners of the Seattle Franchise

heyman25
08-22-2007, 05:35 AM
I forgot about Bill Hawkins class of 76 who attended Durham public schools like I did and is the new CEO of Medtronic. His photo is in New York Times online business today.

heyman25
08-22-2007, 05:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/technology/22medtronic.html?ref=business
Inheriting Some Frustrations at Medical device maker