PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Ohio St. (Nov 28, 2012)

JBDuke
11-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 73-68 win over Ohio State?

SupaDave
11-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Mason. He's a MAN this year. We don't win without him. His outlet pass to Sheed and his dunk changed the game.

NSDukeFan
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Mason was the best player on the floor and solidified his candidacy for national POY, Kelly played an outstanding game offensively and defensively, Cook iced the game down the stretch, but I have to give my MOTM vote to Rasheed for his great aggressive play against a very aggressive defensive team in the second half. Man, he is great to watch and cheer for.

MCFinARL
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Lots of players with great efforts, especially in the second half. But Rasheed Sulaimon provided the spark at the crucial moment.

CLW
11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I voted for Plumlaimon

wilko
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Mason did what he was supposed to do as a senior leader.
I give props to Sulaimon ... and hereby dub Sulaimon "the prophet".

When he decided he wasnt going to play like a freshman the game changed.

jipops
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Best big man in the country right now.

sagegrouse
11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Sulaimon got the team going in the 2nd half. Without his points early, we lose ... maybe by a lot.

sagegrouse

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Rasheed, Quinn and Ryan all had good games but Mason was the man tonight. Any time an alley oop reminds me of Grant Hill in the 1991 title game against Kansas you automatically get MOM :cool:

pamtar
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I dont fault anyone for voting for Rasheed. He stepped up big time. But Mason was just a beast.

trey
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Mason was a rock the entire game. Rasheed brought us back in the second half. Quinn was solid in the second half and hit some big free throws (after missing) down the stretch. I gave the nod to Quinn because of the fight he showed near the end of the first half, when everyone else seemed out of it. Toughness won this game.

wallyman
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Impossible to choose between Mason and Rasheed, but Sulaimon kept us in it when we just looked gassed and out of synch. Mason's a total beast, but voted for Rasheed.

FerryFor50
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
I think Ryan Kelly deserves some credit, too. He came out of his slump offensively and made some big baskets.

Plus, his defense was outstanding. As Jay Bilas reminded us constantly, he's the "most underrated defender in the country."

sporthenry
11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
This is like the 5th game this year where I really don't know who to vote for. Mason was our only offense in the first half and was the only reason it was 8 points. Kelly hit some big baskets, got Thomas in foul trouble, and played some great D. Cook made the team run in the second half and provided the energy. Sheed provided the scoring.

I'm abstaining from this vote. It is just too difficult.

CDu
Mason was a rock the entire game. Rasheed brought us back in the second half. Quinn was solid in the second half and hit some big free throws (after missing) down the stretch. I gave the nod to Quinn because of the fight he showed near the end of the first half, when everyone else seemed out of it. Toughness won this game.

I voted for Mason (how can you argue with 21 and 17!) but I do agree that Cook deserves a good bit of credit. He really did get the team going with his intensity and defense. Sulaimon took the torch and exploded in the second half, and deserves credit too. And of course Kelly's defense and key 3s weren't bad. But ultimately, when a guy gets 21 and 17, there should be no doubt about the honor.

Greg_Newton
I'm going with a sleeper pick in Kelly. I thought he did a great job shutting down Thomas after his initial burst, which could have been the difference in the game. Also hit a few big shots and had some tough plays when we were getting pushed around early.

Incredible game from Mason and the kind of finish that results in player growth from Cook, though.

I refuse to vote for Sulaimon because I don't want to boost his draft stock further. :p

TNTDevil
I agree with the voters who choose Mason. He's really been so steady.

Sulaimon's early 2nd half spark definitely lifted the team.

My vote was split between Sulaimon and Cook. I voted for Quinn because he came back strong from a very weak first half. Really showed "guts" in that regard. That early steal in the 2nd half really seemed to trip his trigger and he was damn good from that point forward.

NSDukeFan
11-29-2012, 12:13 AM
This is like the 5th game this year where I really don't know who to vote for. Mason was our only offense in the first half and was the only reason it was 8 points. Kelly hit some big baskets, got Thomas in foul trouble, and played some great D. Cook made the team run in the second half and provided the energy. Sheed provided the scoring.

I'm abstaining from this vote. It is just too difficult.
If the Duke team would have abstained because Ohio State's defense was just too difficult, I would not be nearly as happy as I am right now. ;)

I'm going with a sleeper pick in Kelly. I thought he did a great job shutting down Thomas after his initial burst, which could have been the difference in the game. Also hit a few big shots and had some tough plays when we were getting pushed around early.

Incredible game from Mason and the kind of finish that results in player growth from Cook, though.

I refuse to vote for Sulaimon because I don't want to boost his draft stock further. :p

I really liked Ryan's game tonight and think that he really is playing very well defensively, and is now going to get more credit for his all around solid game.

FerryFor50
11-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Another point to make about Quinn Cook's game was his overall line.

12 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 2 steals.

The rebounds he got were big because it provided help for the bigs. Always nice to see a guard get his nose in there and get some rebounds.

sporthenry
11-29-2012, 12:17 AM

Glad someone mentioned this. Although maybe we should make this topic off limits. If Sheed sticks around for another year or two, he will make Duke very good. I think he is more complete than Rivers was at this point. Never understood why no mocks had him going next year but hopefully it is a blessing in disguise.

mapei
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Mason. He seems like a different person so far this year. He's always been good, but not really great. Until now. Amazing. It's like all the talent has finally matured.

We probably lose by 20 without Mason, but man, Rasheed and Quinn were great when it counted.

Saratoga2
11-29-2012, 12:25 AM
He had such an impressive game, that I had to vote for him, but was very impressed by Rasheed and by Quinn who did some great things out there tonight as well.

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 12:28 AM

The rebounds he got were big because it provided help for the bigs. Always nice to see a guard get his nose in there and get some rebounds.

All while playing the full 40 minutes against arguably the best defensive PG in the country. I might have to change my vote :D

MarkD83
11-29-2012, 12:53 AM
It might be time to allow for multiple votes for MOTM.

kingboozer
11-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Mason hands down!

Edouble
11-29-2012, 01:11 AM
My man payed all 40 minutes and during the second half I honestly thought he might end up with a triple double. Great intensity. Ridiculously impressive stat line when all was said and done, considering he was going against Craft. Love to see Quinn diving for lose balls and bringing some fire to the team. Nothing wrong with voting for Mason in this one though.

magjayran
11-29-2012, 01:18 AM
There's not really a wrong answer in this one. We all know that it was a true team effort tonight. Without Ryan's defense and big threes, we don't win. Without Sheed's second half scoring outburst, we don't win. Without Quinn's fearlessness and overall steady play even with serious adversity staring him in the face, we don't win. Really, I don't think we win without our Pit Bull Tyler doing what he does either.

But Mason's consistent beastly play for an entire 40 minutes was the most impressive on an individual level to me. So I voted for him. Go Duke.

Edouble
11-29-2012, 01:46 AM
There's not really a wrong answer in this one. We all know that it was a true team effort tonight. Without Ryan's defense and big threes, we don't win. Without Sheed's second half scoring outburst, we don't win. Without Quinn's fearlessness and overall steady play even with serious adversity staring him in the face, we don't win. Really, I don't think we win without our Pit Bull Tyler doing what he does either.

But Mason's consistent beastly play for an entire 40 minutes was the most impressive on an individual level to me. So I voted for him. Go Duke.

You're right, many players were worthy, but only Quinn played all 40 minutes.

JNort
11-29-2012, 02:04 AM
It was close between Rasheed and Quinn for me but I think Bilas(I think it was him) said it best. Mason has been a rock all year and in this game but Rasheed has made the difference in the 2nd half. 17 points in the second was the biggest factor in winning tonight.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Rasheed, Quinn and Ryan all had good games but Mason was the man tonight. Any time an alley oop reminds me of Grant Hill in the 1991 title game against Kansas you automatically get MOM :cool:

This dunk was definitely Grant Hill-esk! MP2 gets my vote on this dunk alone. The fact that he scored 21 points, including clutch free throws with the game on the line, and pulled down 17 rebounds, is gravy! :cool:

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 05:45 AM

Mason played 39 minutes, 59.8 seconds. I don't think he game out until he missed his last FT. That's close enough in my book:D

bjornolf
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Sulaimon got the team going in the 2nd half. Without his points early, we lose ... maybe by a lot.

sagegrouse

Of course, without Mason in the first half, are we even within striking distance to start the 2nd half?

ncexnyc
11-29-2012, 10:37 AM
I know Mason had the sick stat line, but Quinn was the heart and soul of the team last night and once he got fired up at the end of the first half that carried over to the rest of the team.

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
This is one of the tougher times to vote for a single player.
Yes Mason was awesome and held us together and in striking distance in the first half.
But Quinn, Ryan and Rasheed too, without them no way we would have won.
It is hard to just pick one but since I have to I'm going for Rasheed because he gave us the biggest spark to start the 2nd half and he became a real Man tonight.
I had chilles when I saw the look in his yes and you could see the sheer will and determination of not going to lose the game because of his play.
For that matter Quinn had that same look in his eyes too.

Mason is a senior and it is somewhat expected for him to have a great game but Rasheed is a freshmen and for him to step up this big is a huge leap.
So for this game MOTM goes to Rasheed for me.

COYS
11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with others that it is hard to pick out just one Blue Devil, but I had to go with Quinn. Quinn made excellent decisions in transition the entire game. In fact, a big chunk of our offense and Mason's scoring in the first half and early part of the second came off of Quinn's ability to get out in transition and make the right pass. Those easy buckets kept the game respectable in the first half and then got us right back in the thick of things in the second. Even though the offense struggled in the first half, Quinn consistently found ways to get the ball to Mason and to make sure that everyone else did the same thing. We had a long drought without any field goals (over ten minutes, I believe), but Mason also drew a ton of fouls during that time and got to the line to get his points. I don't think that would have happened as frequently without Quinn. While Quinn didn't shoot well from the field, he still had some big buckets and was unlucky, in my opinion, not to get a few foul calls. Even when he missed, a few of his drives drew as many as three defenders, leaving Mason open for put backs, including the put back dunk that set the Duke record for career dunks. In the half court, Quinn managed the game with only three turnovers against the best perimeter defender in the country. Even more importantly, Quinn had fewer turnovers in the second half when he started to attack more and make more things happen. He could have been cowed by the ball pressure OSU applied in the first half. Instead, he kicked it into gear and showed he can lead this offense against anyone.

Finally, Quinn's defense was very good. It was not perfect, but he worked really hard to continuously fight through screens the entire game. I went back and rewatched part of the game and, I gotta say, the Buckeyes set some serious picks and had no problem leaning and sticking out their legs to get as much contact as possible, even though I don't think they were whistled for an illegal screen even once. It was brutal and it destroyed us last year in Columbus. However, Quinn didn't let the physical picks or the lack of help from the zebras prevent him from continuing to fight through those screens all day long.

QUinn has come a long, long, long way since last year. Better yet, he still has plenty of room for improvement. If Quinn continues to improve, the sky is the limit for this team.

mattmcbreen
11-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Without Mason, we don't win that game. He kept us in it the entire first half with his free throw shooting. At one point he had 10 of our 19 points. His getting to the line frequently was key, as the majority of the first half we had a lineup out there that wasn't really built to score. I think some credit also has to go to Ryan, however. He held Thomas to 16 points (he was averaging 24 ppg coming into the game), and hit two clutch threes on back to back trips to tie and take the lead.
BUT, I really think you have to give a good deal of the votes to the Crazies. Cameron was as loud as I've ever seen it, especially for a non UNC game. The student section kept the energy in the building up even when we were about to go down double digits, and they really helped keep the momentum on our side. It never felt like we were down big thanks to them. They forced Matta to call timeouts to end our runs. It was a truly electric atmosphere, and the Crazies proved once again that they are the best student section in college basketball, on a national stage.

gumbomoop
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Glad someone mentioned this. Although maybe we should make this topic off limits. If Sheed sticks around for another year or two, he will make Duke very good.

I'm for making such talk off limits for Dick Vitale. I have always "blamed" Al Maguire [bless him] for William Avery's early departure. In an early-round NCAAT game Avery's soph year, Al declared Avery "the greatest thing since 7-Up." I always figured that sort of talk put ideas into Avery's head.

Fast forward to 2013, and hear Dickie V pronouncing Rasheed the "Diaper Dandy of the Year." Isn't each year's actual-best Diaper Dandy likely to be NBA-bound? Shut up, Dick.

Similarly, maybe best to lie low on how good Quinn is. The EK sandbagging-theme should be: "Heck no, he's nowhere near top-50 PGs. The top-50-PG-gurus are absolutely right. Ignore his play against all those top-5 teams; he got lucky. Harrow would have eaten his lunch. Siva had to share the ball with Russdiculous. Craft got overconfident after the first half, and, because he's super-organized, spent the second half worrying about final exams. Really, Quinn needs to stick around another year or two." Got to counterbalance the unfortunately eminent Dickie V's imminent rant: "Now that he's healthy, Quinn Cook has become an absolute magician, the best pure point guard in the game today, bar none, baby." Shut up, Dick.

If Dickie V. pontificates too much, we'll lose our entire starting lineup. Granted, if our starting lineup, abetted by crucial role-play-minutes from our bench, wins the NC, shoot, it'd be ok if we lose 5, rather than just 3, guys. But only if they win the NC.

We'd have to pretty much start over next season, and it might be tough to win back-to-back in this scenario. But Jabari Parker might like to play PG.

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm for making such talk off limits for Dick Vitale. I have always "blamed" Al Maguire [bless him] for William Avery's early departure. In an early-round NCAAT game Avery's soph year, Al declared Avery "the greatest thing since 7-Up." I always figured that sort of talk put ideas into Avery's head.

Fast forward to 2013, and hear Dickie V pronouncing Rasheed the "Diaper Dandy of the Year." Isn't each year's actual-best Diaper Dandy likely to be NBA-bound? Shut up, Dick.

Similarly, maybe best to lie low on how good Quinn is. The EK sandbagging-theme should be: "Heck no, he's nowhere near top-50 PGs. The top-50-PG-gurus are absolutely right. Ignore his play against all those top-5 teams; he got lucky. Harrow would have eaten his lunch. Siva had to share the ball with Russdiculous. Craft got overconfident after the first half, and, because he's super-organized, spent the second half worrying about final exams. Really, Quinn needs to stick around another year or two." Got to counterbalance the unfortunately eminent Dickie V's imminent rant: "Now that he's healthy, Quinn Cook has become an absolute magician, the best pure point guard in the game today, bar none, baby." Shut up, Dick.

If Dickie V. pontificates too much, we'll lose our entire starting lineup. Granted, if our starting lineup, abetted by crucial role-play-minutes from our bench, wins the NC, shoot, it'd be ok if we lose 5, rather than just 3, guys. But only if they win the NC.

We'd have to pretty much start over next season, and it might be tough to win back-to-back in this scenario. But Jabari Parker might like to play PG.

Great post.
I agree too that if we win the NC Sheed and Quinn will be going early but it be worth it to deal with if it comes to that.

BluDvlsN1
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
There is much to enjoy about this team, really fun to see the development.
The balance in scoring and other play, so far, I'm sure will cause for many discussions in the future for MOTM.

This time I believe Mason earned it for more than a few reasons, not the least of which is is amazing stat line.

But consider this, He came back and didn"t have too.
He is a senior leader, leading by example.
He made himself relevant on the free throw line.
He developed more effective post moves.
He has channeled his youthful exuberance into a seasoned veteran performer.
But most of all. a subset of the previous line, he is keeping himself in the game by not committing the unnecessary foul.

IMO
They all will have their day, but today my vote goes to Mason, for staying, growing and making himself very relevant.

magjayran
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Mason came off the floor with .2 seconds left on the clock after intentionally air balling a free throw so that he could get the ovation that he deserved.

Newton_14
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM

To add to that, he also played the full 40 minutes which is a sign of a truly great Duke PG. The Amaker's, Hurley's, William's, Irving's, Smith's went the full 40 too many times to count. That's a great sign for the future.

As for the vote, I am a huge Mason fan, and he is my favorite player. 21 and 17 is a MOTM all day long and Mason is going to force us to consider him every game, but for tonight I had to go with the rook. Rasheed's play in the 2nd half turned the tide and went a long way in determining the outcome of the game.

Kelly and Quinn get honorable mentions in that order. Both are really starting to come on.