PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 73, Ohio St. 68 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

pfrduke
11-28-2012, 11:48 PM
What a fight. Absolutely great win. So proud of our boys right now.

pamtar
11-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Wow. What a hard-fought, tough, big time win. I thought we were doomed based on OSU"s defense in the first half. Just a big damn win.

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow what a game.
I don't remember the last time coach K was that happy and animated.
I'm very proud of the kids.

Utley
Love this team! Sulaiman is my player of the game - he provided the spark that got us going in the second half.

One thing that won't get noted in the box score was my change to my 2010 final four t-shirt at halftime.

BlueDevilBrowns
Wow. What a hard-fought, tuff, big time win. I thought we were doomed based on OSU"s defense in the first half. Just a big damn win.

That says it all.

A Man's win in a Man's game tonight.

FerryFor50
Awesome win.

After the last few weeks, I think the theme of this year's team is GUTS. Just absolute intestinal fortitude. Nothing going right for you? That's ok. Gut it out. Fight back. Play your game.

This win is by far the best win of the year in my opinion. Beating KY and L'ville was nice, but this was a statement win.

Plus, the team looks so much different this year. They really look like they're enjoying it out there, fighting for each other. Going to be a fun year.

NSDukeFan
11-28-2012, 11:51 PM
What a great second half performance after Ohio State stoned Duke in the first half. Mason was POY material throughout the game, Ryan did a great job on Thomas and hit those huge shots in the second half after he and Mason kept the team in the game in the first half and then Rasheed withUn his aggressive play in the second half leading up to Quinn Cook (the Closer) to finish it off. I was also happy that I got Amile and Alex sightings, and Josh with a couple of nice hoops. What a great game against another very solid team. Wow!

SupaDave
Letting Mason talk to the press? Huge. Someone is gunning for player of the year...

BlueDevilBrowns
Wow what a game.
I don't remember the last time coach K was that happy and animated.
I'm very proud of the kids.

I'd say the WF home game in 09 maybe.

MCFinARL
Must have been a heck of half time talk! Love the toughness from everybody, especially love the close-to-floor-slapping expressions from Cook and Sulaimon and the plays to match.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Yeah, we talked about it before the game. We started doing it at half time. :cool:

chaosmage
11-28-2012, 11:52 PM
So proud. They looked so dead for a half, and to see the younger players come out and play in the second half was amazing.

Why did Matta take Craft off of Cook, I know he fouled out eventually, but was he in trouble and sitting?

Was wonderful to see K out there side hugging the coaches and thumping around - Who says he's going to retire?? :-)

Go DUKE!! Can we take a break for a bit? It's felt like March this week!!!

Billy Dat
We showed a lot of guts and fight dusting off that weak first half by coming out tough in the second. POY effort from Mason. Kelly played really tough with foul trouble, played great defense on Thomas, and made lots of big buckets when we finally knotted the score. Sheed's scoring and Sheed and Cook's attacking in the second half were huge. Thornton's defensive stop with 20 seconds left was epic, I don't care whose leg it went off. We finally got tough on the boards, and after choking a bunch of key FTs, Quinn took us home. Great to win like that with Curry so marginalized by injury - no one needs rest more than him. I loved the shot of the coaches essentially chest bumping after the game, those were some hyper aggressive bro hugs. What a start to the season, we keep the streak alive at 97, and Alex Murphy got off the bench!

superdave
Quinn Cook is definitely the emotional leader of this team. You can see his toughness, and how he connects with his teammates and Cameron. This was a growing game for him. Against Craft he had to endure overtly physical play, get guys involved who couldnt turn corners or get open looks on their own. Cook led.

He has a way to go though. He left some free throws on the table in the final minute. He let Craft get by him too often and according to Musberger "pounded the ball into the court" too much. But he'll look back on those things and correct them.

I'm enjoying watching Quinn grow into a leader. That's as pleasant as anything you'll see all year.

CLW
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
AMAZING 2nd half effort and AMAZING to survive that opening stretch of games undefeated is quite the feat.

Sheed stepped up in the 2nd half to give us some scoring from the perimeter.

Mason is a BEAST this year and has 1st team all-america and NPOY written all over him if he keeps this up.

The DEFENSE and REBOUNDING was MUCH better in the 2nd half.

However, that final air ball free throw by Mason probably pissed off a TON of people that bet on Duke tonight at it was a 5.5 spread.

CDu
11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Heart. Just too much heart. We looked lethargic in the first half, thoroughly out-efforted by OSU. Not so in the second half.

Mason Plumlee is unbelievable. That stat line is absolutely silly.

Rasheed Sulaimon, what a monster second half after struggling in the first.

Quinn Cook showed (again) the PG skills that we missed last year in the second half. He looked timid against Craft in the first half, but Cook just owned Craft in the second half. His playmaking and defense were a huge part of our comeback.

It was nice to see Kelly hit a couple of huge threes, and he continues to be a sneaky shotblocker on defense.

Nice to see the team able to win even with a very tough night for Curry.

But man, what a great effort in the second half. Complete domination. The team defense was pretty good throughout (save for the rebounding deficiencies in the first 25 minutes), and the offense finally showed up in the second half. The effort that Kelly and Plumlee put in keeping Thomas from getting open was really impressive. We were simply not going to let him beat us.

I am VERY impressed that we've survived this stretch undefeated. We've now played arguably our toughest opponents until the NCAA tournament, as the ACC is pretty down this year. We just can't have a letdown now. Time to build off a very impressive start to the season.

Billy Dat
11-28-2012, 11:56 PM
However, that final air ball free throw by Mason probably pissed off a TON of people that bet on Duke tonight at it was a 5.5 spread.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is classic. Put it on the list with Duhon's meaningless 35 foot 3 at the end of the Final Four loss to UConn.

BlueDevilBrowns
Thinking long-term, now that we have 3 top-5 wins under our belt, if we take care of business in the ACC(i.e. winning reg. season and/or tournament) we are a LOCK for a #1 seed.

HUGE WIN tonight!

DukieInBrasil
Most impressive win of the year, showed so much moxy coming back from down at the half, and looking really out of whack. Sulaimon really revved it up in the second half, as did Cook. Mason was such a stud the whole game. That fast-break dunk on the assist from Cook was spectacular!!!

NSDukeFan
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Awesome win.

After the last few weeks, I think the theme of this year's team is GUTS. Just absolute intestinal fortitude. Nothing going right for you? That's ok. Gut it out. Fight back. Play your game.

This win is by far the best win of the year in my opinion. Beating KY and L'ville was nice, but this was a statement win.

Plus, the team looks so much different this year. They really look like they're enjoying it out there, fighting for each other. Going to be a fun year.

I love the way Quinn gives everyone a pat after key big plays. It makes it look like he is really into and that they are fighting for each other. It is also really nice to be able to keep Mason in at the end of games, because of his solid foul shooting.

SCMatt33
So great to see that there are so many guys on this team that are willing and able to take over a game when needed. Cook did it against Louisville. Sulaimon did it tonight. We've seen Mason do it this year. Seth hasn't taken over in a game yet, but has been really solid and we've seen him do it in the past. Ryan has really played within himself and been a big leader with Tyler on the defensive end.

Not worried about the Free Throws. I've always said that if I could change one rule, it would be the making the one-and-one optional with taking it out of bounds being the other option. You could see it in Cook's face after that one that miss, that he let the fact that it was a one and one get to him. Came back big on the others.

CLW
Wow just realized we put up 50 in the 2nd half against a VERY tough/good defensive team and according to ESPN we ended up dead even on the boards after what seemed like Ohio St. was +10 on the boards at the end of the 1st half.

Greg_Newton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijEh2y13c

kingboozer
The tale of two halves, WOW. Plumlee was absolutely lights out and Suilimon had a heck of game, I am over the moon with being 7-0 with the schedule we've had. I don't want to jinx it, but this could be a special season if things keep up..

UrinalCake
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
What a great win. The crazy alley-pop to Mason was the turning point IMO, it got the crowd and the team energized. Also, our guards started committing to rebounding in the second half and that made the difference in securing those boards. Hope Seth is okay.

J4Kop99
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
That was a great win.

-But what do you think was the issue in the 1st half? It clearly wasn't fatigue like some were saying at half time.

uh_no
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I hope this puts to rest for the rest of the year that anyone on this team doesn't have heart or isn't playing hard. They just played their butts off for some of the best basketball i've seen played for 20 minutes

we dominated them everywhere in the second half.

and we sealed the deal

that was absolutely the best played basketball i've seen since the '10 title game. I thought in april this team would have a shot at a title. and that is 100% confirmed. This is ana amazing team. absolutely amazing

the change in mason is incredible
sulu is incredible
cook is a great leader
seth is an assassin (though off night)
kelly is such a unique piece

man....we're so awesome. I love this team. I only wish i were still a grad student so i could go to games.

that was awesome

RoyalBlue08
11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Great win obviously. Such a tough and together team that it is very easy to dream of greatness for this season. After the first half, I said in my head that even if we lost I thought we would be able to tell a lot about the makeup of the team by their fight in the second half. Wow did they pass that test with flying colors!

uh_no
11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
this team will hinge on rebounding.

if we rebound, we win, if we don't we lose.

rebounding not only takes away a possession from the other team, but prevents the opponent from setting up their defense so nicely

sporthenry
11-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Thinking long-term, now that we have 3 top-5 wins under our belt, if we take care of business in the ACC(i.e. winning reg. season and/or tournament) we are a LOCK for a #1 seed.

HUGE WIN tonight!

Assuming they stay in the top 5. I'm not sure how the committee handles it in terms of will Duke always have 3 top 5 wins, or will these games be counted against where they finish. Either way, I assume all 3 should be top 10 teams by the end of year and it should be absolutely huge for selection Sunday. Although with the ACC tying the B1G, the ACC is going to be fairly tough this year.

FerryFor50
11-29-2012, 12:03 AM

rebounding not only takes away a possession from the other team, but prevents the opponent from setting up their defense so nicely

It also allows this team to run, and it looks like they might be pretty good at it this year...

J4Kop99
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
The Slo-mo replay doesn't do the cook to Mason alley-oop justice.

FerryFor50
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Assuming they stay in the top 5. I'm not sure how the committee handles it in terms of will Duke always have 3 top 5 wins, or will these games be counted against where they finish. Either way, I assume all 3 should be top 10 teams by the end of year and it should be absolutely huge for selection Sunday. Although with the ACC tying the B1G, the ACC is going to be fairly tough this year.

And don't forget Minnesota and VCU, who I fully expect to be tourny teams with strong resumes by the end of the year.

CDu
11-29-2012, 12:05 AM
I can't say enough how impressive our second half was. We just completely imposed our will, after looking like we weren't going to be up to the challenge in the first half. Our starting five is playing absolutely fantastic. We even did it tonight with one of our starters having a REALLY tough night. Thornton and Hairston gave us quality minutes.

And not least of all, I think Murphy actually jumped up to a tie for 8th in minutes! :)

In all seriousness, just a really really impressive win, and so much fun to watch (well, at least the second half). Now I just have to figure out how to get to sleep!

P.S. Mason Plumlee has stepped it up about three kazillion notches this year. He's just unbelievable. Where were those post moves his first three years? In any case, I'm glad to see them now. This is awesome.

pfrduke
11-29-2012, 12:06 AM
There is no one else that will have the non-conference resume that Duke does. No team will have better wins at the end of the season than Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio State (let alone Minnesota and VCU). We just ran one heck of a gauntlet and came out unscathed. Now we need to carry it through the rest of the year.

uh_no

god i thought for sure that was over his head sailing out of bounds....then he got it.....wow

I think i might get a noise complaint after that one...but I don't care....that was the tops right there.

that bette rbe #1 tomorrw morning

CDu

Yeah, Mason just makes it look too easy. It's really amazing when you realize how fast it happens.

pfrduke
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah, Mason just makes it look too easy. It's really amazing when you realize how fast it happens.

I said this in the in-game thread, and I'll say it again here, but that was Hurley-to-Hill-esque. It looked like that pass was going to sail out of bounds, and Mason just went up and put it down.

sporthenry
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
And don't forget Minnesota and VCU, who I fully expect to be tourny teams with strong resumes by the end of the year.

Agreed. If you guys will allow me to get way ahead of myself, if we win the ACC regular season with 2-3 losses, I think we'll be set for a 1 seed.

hurleyfor3
11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
There is no one else that will have the non-conference resume that Duke does. No team will have better wins at the end of the season than Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio State (let alone Minnesota and VCU).

Unless all those teams decide to suck. Wouldn't be the first time.

pfrduke
11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Unless all those teams decide to suck. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm willing to make a non-monetary wager of your choice that at least four of those five teams will be in the top 20 in the final pre-tourney poll and two will be in the top 10.

FerryFor50
Agreed. If you guys will allow me to get way ahead of myself, if we win the ACC regular season with 2-3 losses, I think we'll be set for a 1 seed.

I just hope NCSU doesn't figure out how good they can be.

Furniture
We have beat three of last years final four now......

uh_no
I said this in the in-game thread, and I'll say it again here, but that was Hurley-to-Hill-esque. It looked like that pass was going to sail out of bounds, and Mason just went up and put it down.

same thing running through my mind....definitely one of the top alley-oops in duke history.

Saratoga2
Mason had a great stat line and game. He fought throughout and I think that meant 40 minutes.

We came out very flat and our guards in particular lacked aggressiveness. Free throw shooting and decent defense kept it close though. We were getting killed on the glass with little to no help for Mason who had to watch Deshaun for much of the time.

The second half was a different story with far more aggressive play. Rasheed was an animal out there and shows just how good he can be. Seventeen points in the half, wow, plus outstanding defense. I also though Quinn played maybe his best game so far and that is saying a lot. He was playing against the best defensive guard in the country and held his own and then some. Some of his passes were really outstanding. Remember, this kid wasn't listed as one of the better point guards in the country> I would take him over any others. Tyler also played some important minutes on defense.

Another story line is Ryan Kelly who played excellent defense and also added some important scoring, including hitting ssome big threes. We have been looking for him to break out of his slump and we saw signs of that tonight.

The only area of concern tonight was Seth, who appears to have been more impacted by the tournament than the others, maybe because of his leg. He really wasn't into it tonight and the kids won anyway. Get him back playing like we know he can, and this is a very tough team against anyone.

In the past short period, this team has beaten the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ranked teams in the country, plus disposing of Minnesota and VCU, both tough outs. What a great start to the season. Lets hope the kids remember the slow start and the big finish. They need to play hard from the outset of games.

CDu
11-29-2012, 12:12 AM

It was absolutely amazing. At full speed, looking back over his shoulder, SKYING just to catch it, and then he throws it down like it was nothing. Unbelievable.

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 12:12 AM
That was a great win.

-But what do you think was the issue in the 1st half? It clearly wasn't fatigue like some were saying at half time.

Not physical fatigue. Jay was commenting during the broadcast about mental fatigue. I took that to mean a bit of a let down after Bahamas. Wanting to perform well for the home crowd. Trying a little too hard to get Ohio St back for that blowout loss last year. Also OSU played some damn fine defense.

All that makes the toughness shown in the second half so impressive.

sporthenry
11-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I just hope NCSU doesn't figure out how good they can be.

Yeah, we'll see. Haven't seen too much of them but wasn't impressed. I figure we'll split with them. Maybe lose a game at Miami and then we have to play UNC/@UMD in back to back games. Luckily, we get eased into the conference with Wake/Clemson at home before we visit NC State (although may be better to get them early). I also think NC State will have some head scratching losses even if they play Duke/UNC tough.

azzefkram
11-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Way to come out after halftime with their man pants on. Tough win against a tough and physical opponent. Mason, Quinn and Sheed were in beast mode. Ryan's offense doesn't seem to be there yet but his D is at another level. I am not the biggest TT fan, but he seems to do every little off the box score thing. Nice minutes from Josh. Even a few Alex and Agile sightings. Something for everyone.

uh_no
Not physical fatigue. Jay was commenting during the broadcast about mental fatigue. I took that to mean a bit of a let down after Bahamas. Wanting to perform well for the home crowd. Trying a little too hard to get Ohio St back for that blowout loss last year. Also OSU played some damn fine defense.

All that makes the toughness shown in the second half so impressive.

that was such a good half of basketball....rivales the '11 game against UNC down 14 at the half....to have been in cameron tonight....that would have been something

jipops
It's so nice to have a reliable point guard and a dominant post threat. When is the last time we've been able to claim that?

mapei
11-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Tenacious. OSU looked so good in the first half; I thought we had just come up against a better team.

Then, bit by bit, we closed and eventually . . . well, you all watched it too. Mason is playing like an All-American. I'm almost speechless, but wanted to show up and be counted on the thread. What an impressive comeback.

tbyers11
11-29-2012, 12:16 AM
There is no one else that will have the non-conference resume that Duke does. No team will have better wins at the end of the season than Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio State (let alone Minnesota and VCU). We just ran one heck of a gauntlet and came out unscathed. Now we need to carry it through the rest of the year.

Amazing thing is that I don't think another team has a single non-conference win so far as impressive as any of our three.

CDu
11-29-2012, 12:17 AM
It's so nice to have a reliable point guard and a dominant post threat. When is the last time we've been able to claim that?

I guess 2002 (in 2004 Williams wasn't quite a dominanat post threat, and in 2006 Paulus wasn't a reliable PG). Nice to see gamechangers at both spots, for sure.

uh_no
Tenacious. OSU looked so good in the first half; I thought we had just come up against a better team.

Then, bit by bit, we closed and eventually . . . well, you all watched it too. Mason is playing like an All-American. I'm almost speechless, but wanted to show up and be counted on the thread. What an impressive comeback.

21 and 17?

mason is playing like player of the year.

Mike Corey
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1806143/plumdunk.gif

NSDukeFan
Duke vs. top 5 teams in the country: 3-0
Everybody else vs. top 5: 0-30?

1 24 90
11-29-2012, 12:18 AM

wallyman
Has there even been a more impressive start to a Duke season? One tough game after another. And great to see everyone get in the game and contribute. Here's to Marshall getting healthy enough to play, Seth getting some rest, Quinn looking at film of that pass to Mason and everyone basking in the glory. Think even the half-hearted, nit-picking of K probably gets suspended for a while. What a tough, tough game and team.

uh_no

I still don't know how he caught that.

CDu

I like that Cook is jumping along with Mason on the alley-oop!

wallyman
11-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I like that Cook is jumping along with Mason on the alley-oop!

Though maybe not quite as high.

tbyers11
that was such a good half of basketball....rivales the '11 game against UNC down 14 at the half....to have been in cameron tonight....that would have been something

I'm a wee bit older so I'll lump it in with the comeback against UNC in '98 for Coach K's 500th win. Best game in my undergrad career. This wasn't as dramatic but still pretty darn impressive

miramar

Amazingly enough, Duke ended up with 35 boards, same as Ohio State. On the offensive end it wasn't as pretty, with OSU ending up with a 16-7 lead. But IIRC, they had something like 11 at the break, so Duke did much better the second half.

NSDukeFan

That is just beautiful. I have watched it about a dozen times already.

Kedsy
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Seth hasn't taken over in a game yet, but has been really solid and we've seen him do it in the past.

I thought Seth took over the Kentucky game.

Ryan's offense doesn't seem to be there yet but his D is at another level.

I agree that Ryan's D is a lot better this year, but he scored 15 points tonight while in foul trouble, including 50% overall, 60% from three-land, and 100% at the line. Seems like pretty good offense to me.

FerryFor50
11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Another great stat line - Duke shot 47% from the field against a team that has been touted for its defense. It scored 73 points against a team that has only been allowing 50ish all year.

The best part is that Duke did it without jacking up tons of 3s.

Could it be a sign of OSU's weak competition? Or is Duke rounding into a truly elite offensive team?

uh_no
11-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Another great stat line - Duke shot 47% from the field against a team that has been touted for its defense. It scored 73 points against a team that has only been allowing 50ish all year.

The best part is that Duke did it without jacking up tons of 3s.

Could it be a sign of OSU's weak competition? Or is Duke rounding into a truly elite offensive team?

we shot 58% in the second half for 50 pointes

WOW

elvis14
11-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Wow, am I going to go to bed happy. It might be few hours and I'll be useless tomorrow but I'll be happy.

What a great win. They just kept grinding away at OSU and ground them down and out. So many guys did something great. I really like this team.

miramar
11-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I agree that Ryan's D is a lot better this year, but he scored 15 points tonight while in foul trouble, including 50% overall, 60% from three-land, and 100% at the line. Seems like pretty good offense to me.

Part of that improved defense is in blocked shots, where Ryan is leading the team with 17 blocks in 7 games (Mason has 12). I think we have a new landlord.

bl33dblu3
11-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Love this team! Sulaiman is my player of the game - he provided the spark that got us going in the second half.

One thing that won't get noted in the box score was my change to my 2010 final four t-shirt at halftime.

haha, i too changed at half
they have won all the games while in my new sweatpants

hillsborodevil
11-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Mason's dunk reminded me of Grant Hill's dunk on Kansas during the 1991 Championship game.

kingboozer
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
haha, i too changed at half
they have won all the games while in my new sweatpants

My trusty black team shorts have been on a roll so far, incidentally, I wasn't wearing them when we played Lehigh..coincidence? I think not!

Kedsy
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Part of that improved defense is in blocked shots, where Ryan is leading the team with 17 blocks in 7 games (Mason has 12). I think we have a new landlord.

I agree Ryan has done a great job blocking shots this year. But as far as improvement goes, Ryan's been a very good shot blocker since he arrived on campus. Even his freshman year block percentage was very strong.

dukepsy1963
11-29-2012, 12:49 AM
happy. Nothing like a win like that. Down, then up, then UP. Whew.... Nice gutting it out....:):)

DownEastDevil
11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Ok our Big Man just got the #1 play on SportsCenter top 10 plays.

-bdbd
11-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Mason's dunk reminded me of Grant Hill's dunk on Kansas during the 1991 Championship game.

'was thinking the same thing. Especially with the very high vertical initial grab of it, one-handed! That GH dunk really set the tone for that game. And again, here, it seemed that the momentum swung right about then.

This was about as satisfying a win as I can remember in a while, save for Austin's "The Shot" vs NC@ch. They were just so solid against a Final Four caliber opponent, playing really good, tough ball itself. Duke just out-toughed them in the second half! I would pay a quarter (or more!) to have been in the halftime locker room at half to hear what K had to say... Ha!

I also thought Bilas did a good job overall. He just adds so much more insight than the shrill Vitales and the Gotleibs of the announcing world. He sees things most other announcers would miss, and explains them well. Glad he's one of ours. BTW, did everyone catch the comment he made complimenting "...Duke's big man coach, Steve Wojo. Because Mason didn't arrive here at Duke as a Freshman with those moves you are seeing tonight." Ba-zing!! Take THAT you negative recruiters bad-mouthing Duke's big man development, and pick-setting play.

And the interview of a smiling, articulate (and joking) MP2 after the game with Musberger and Bilas was just awesome. Plus, for even more bonus points, the shot of him then exiting the floor getting/giving high-fives to dozens of Crazies - that was worth its weight in gold for recruiting collateral! :D :D :D

P.S. Icing on the cake was that this win for the ACC also tied up the Challenge this year. I'd really have hated to lose to the Big10 this year in particular, post MD defection. This should greatly redeem ACC basketball, which had been much maligned thusfar this year (while the Big10 was talked up greatly). Keep it up Duke!!! Very proud.

jipops
11-29-2012, 01:03 AM
I guess 2002 (in 2004 Williams wasn't quite a dominanat post threat, and in 2006 Paulus wasn't a reliable PG). Nice to see gamechangers at both spots, for sure.

Yea, that's about right. The question was also largely rhetorical and to make a point. It's been a long time since we've seen this kind of attack and it is quite nice to see.

jacone21
11-29-2012, 01:06 AM

uh_no
11-29-2012, 01:12 AM

mason is a TINY bit higher....but also a tiny bit taller? we'll call it a wash!

the winner is.....DUKE!

OldSchool
11-29-2012, 01:12 AM
I was extremely impressed by the quality and intensity of Ohio State's defense. They were focused and energetic and absolutely smothered us in the first half.

Ohio State's defense tonight was far better than anything we have seen from any of the other quality teams we have played this year.

Duke had to find another level, higher than what they had been able to sustain so far in any other game in order to come back and win this game.

Honestly, I wasn't sure they could find that level. Man, did they.

I don't know whether this team will get to the final four, it is after all a one-and-done tournament, and it's a long season and we're still only in November, but after seeing this performance tonight I do believe this team is capable of displaying the heart and toughness to be a champion.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-29-2012, 01:15 AM

Mason is higher! Granted he's taller, but still :)

I am pretty amazed with our guys. 58% and 50 points in the 2nd half, that is sick. I wasn't sure who I was going to vote for MOTM, but in the end I went with Sheed. He really came on in the 2nd half and hit a couple of huge 3's for us. I had to give some love to the frosh. I think he ended with 17?

This was one of those games where I really wish we had more depth. Josh and Tyler obviously gave us nice minutes, but with Seth twisting his ankle there towards the end and RKelly having foul trouble, it would be really nice to have Alex or Amile come in and give us 5-10 quality minutes. I REALLY hope they can develop some in the next month. Other than that, I'm not going to complain, im pretty damn stoked right now!!

uh_no
11-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I was extremely impressed by the quality and intensity of Ohio State's defense. They were focused and energetic and absolutely smothered us in the first half.

Ohio State's defense tonight was far better than anything we have seen from any of the other quality teams we have played this year.

Duke had to find another level, higher than what they had been able to sustain so far in any other game in order to come back and win this game.

Honestly, I wasn't sure they could find that level. Man, did they.

I don't know whether this team will get to the final four, it is after all a one-and-done tournament, and it's a long season and we're still only in November, but after seeing this performance tonight I do believe this team is capable of displaying the heart and toughness to be a champion.

Absolutely. I'm not a big "heart" guy, but if you can do what that team did in the second half....

this team is special.

I feel extremely lucky that I cheer for duke.

timmy c
11-29-2012, 01:23 AM

how many cinder blocks?

gcashwell
11-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Sulaimon is a really good player that allows the others to be great. Very special.

striker219
11-29-2012, 01:25 AM

http://i.imgflip.com/834l.gif

Native
11-29-2012, 01:40 AM

Wow. Practically identical.

greybeard
11-29-2012, 02:14 AM
For me, the play of the game came late in the clock sometime during the last few minutes. Cook was dribbling around and through people, cool as could be, is going away from the basket its under ten, turns, makes a sick move, is taking it down a line to the rim but has people who are in position to stop the score. Not by the look on Cook's face they aren't. Here was the really cool part. At the end, if he picks it up off the dribble and brings it in front to met his left, the ball is gone. An Ohio State guy is waiting for it, knows he has it timed;. Just where Cook wants him, because Cook has no intention of bringing that ball anywhere near his left hand or to the middle of his body. He continues leisurally to the rim, reaches low with his right hand to scoup the ball up, carryiing it in a swing motion up and let's it float to the backboard and caroom in. Are you kidding me. Cook is one remarkable player, who has followed the leadership of Seth and with a smile shows the world that he loves being in the Moment.

I saw a fee minutes of a YouTube link showing a couple of three minutes of Rasheed, and knew what this guy brings. I said so here the very next day. I see Michael Jordan in this kid.

Ryan is a link player and is starting to read the game, to read and appreciate the talents around him. I though that his two spin moves in the laneare precisely the dagger weapon that will bring the crowd away from aMason, draw defenders in from outside and give Sheed, Cook and Seth time and space. I hope he doesn't give up on it because he missed. He missed because the circle he made looped to qwide and he never really stopped turning. If he used the plant of his right foot to slow down the spin, and then lift that foot back under him, I think that he still gets that jump shoot off with the defender unable to mount a significant challenge. If he does, a little eyelid lift and even littler tilt of the forhead and eyes up, the defender starts going up, Ryan stays down, steps through with his right foot, and with the defender now behind Ryan's left butt, Ryan has a snow cone. He can also just make the spin smaller and with less speed. When this guy becomes 65-80 percent from the foul line on in with that move, ouch.

Mason has the look of confidence that fits his game. He smiles also. He should.

stickdog
11-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Duke beat OSU to become the only team in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE AP POLL to defeat 3 AP top 4 teams before December.

Duke is also the only team in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE NCAA TOURNAMENT to defeat 3 of last Final Four before December.

g-money
11-29-2012, 02:45 AM

This may be heresy, but in terms of sheer athleticism and degree of difficulty, I would actually rate MPII's dunk a bit higher than Grant's. Mason was running at full speed the entire way to the basket, and he got up higher in the air. Perhaps most impressively, given the angles of the pass and his approach, he only had a split second to locate the basket.

In short, that was one hell of a dunk!

tele
11-29-2012, 03:33 AM
This may be heresy, but in terms of sheer athleticism and degree of difficulty, I would actually rate MPII's dunk a bit higher than Grant's. Mason was running at full speed the entire way to the basket, and he got up higher in the air. Perhaps most impressively, given the angles of the pass and his approach, he only had a split second to locate the basket.

In short, that was one hell of a dunk!

That was an alarmingly athletic play!

Great second half comeback win, Cameron crowd sounded full on, What a start to the season!

Thanks for coming back Mason.

Nice job by the color commentator too.

ice-9
11-29-2012, 03:34 AM
I hope this puts to rest for the rest of the year that anyone on this team doesn't have heart or isn't playing hard. They just played their butts off for some of the best basketball i've seen played for 20 minutes

we dominated them everywhere in the second half.

and we sealed the deal

that was absolutely the best played basketball i've seen since the '10 title game. I thought in april this team would have a shot at a title. and that is 100% confirmed. This is ana amazing team. absolutely amazing

the change in mason is incredible
sulu is incredible
cook is a great leader
seth is an assassin (though off night)
kelly is such a unique piece

man....we're so awesome. I love this team. I only wish i were still a grad student so i could go to games.

that was awesome

Agree it was awesome!! BUT it wasn't flawless. We missed too many free throws and fouled Ohio State too often towards the end. They could've done a Maryland on us and stolen the game.

-bdbd
11-29-2012, 03:49 AM
Agree it was awesome!! BUT it wasn't flawless. We missed too many free throws and fouled Ohio State too often towards the end. They could've done a Maryland on us and stolen the game.

Wouldn't that be "doing a Duke on us??!" (WE would have been doing the Maryland - i.e. folding...) :rolleyes: ;)

BTW, regarding his dunk, some on here have (rightly) focused on his incredible vertical on the initial "grab," but there's an even more incredible part to the play (at least in my mind). Back it up and look at it slowly, noticing where his feet are as Cook releases the ball... Mason's foot is still right on the 3-point arc as the ball leaves QC's hand! Just WOW!!!

http://yahoo.genieo.com/?v=w3i8

I predict that this dunk by MP2 will become his "signature" play of the year. We'll see it played again and again as he is considered for POY and other honors... Great stuff!

camion
11-29-2012, 07:00 AM
I just want to give kudos to K for his use of timeouts in the second half. This team had just been through a tough series in the Bahamas while tOSU had been pointing to us while feasting on cupcakes. It was similar to an NFL team playing a Thursday night game against a team coming off a bye week. K's time management helped keep us fresh.

I'm proud of this team. They looked like the fighting Singlers out there in the second half. Warriors.

Duke76
11-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm a wee bit older so I'll lump it in with the comeback against UNC in '98 for Coach K's 500th win. Best game in my undergrad career. This wasn't as dramatic but still pretty darn impressive

love to always hear everyone's favorite....I was on the front row before we gave the press priority of the students...
Gary Melchionni was unstoppable with 39 or or so point...We spread the court and he goes one on one with the whole Bozo team....when students didn't paint their faces but yelled louder than today's....so loud in there had tears in my eyes...best sporting event ever in my lifetime,...ever

superdave
11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Amazingly enough, Duke ended up with 35 boards, same as Ohio State. On the offensive end it wasn't as pretty, with OSU ending up with a 16-7 lead. But IIRC, they had something like 11 at the break, so Duke did much better the second half.

Wow. Surprised to see that. OSU was playing volleyball a few trips down court last night. I know our guards started hitting the boards to help out in the 2nd half, but I didnt think we'd be even.

This is still a concern for us. A big concern. I think Marshall will help some, keeping Mason fresh. I also think you'll see Coach K experiment with bigger lineups the next month. If we cannot go bigger, our guards really have to hit the paint.

DukeHLM'13
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
I'd never been to Cameron before 3 years ago when I was a freshman, but that was definitely one of the best games I've been to here, both on the court and from the Crazies, students and upstairs. This game was right up there with the comebacks over Carolina (2 years ago) and State (last year) as far as the energy that you could feel in the building and how loud it was. Our fans seems to be able to feel when a comeback is about to start because Cameron was rocking the entire second half even when we were just playing OSU even.

Also, loved the passion that we saw from the coaches and players. Every time that it started to get loud everyone on the bench, and the floor, would start waving their arms to get the crowd even louder. That's what being in Cameron is all about. The coaches and players want the crowd loud and passionate so they can feed off that energy, and they showed us that last night and rewarded us with a great second half performance.

DukieInBrasil
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I wonder if the fools who made that "Top 50 PGs in the NCAA" list and left Quinn off of it entirely will issue a public retraction. Although Craft outplayed Cook in the 1st half, Cook absolutely dominated the PG position in the 2nd half and ended up with a more impressive game in the stats and win columns. I hope Quinn is using that b.s. list as motivation, cuz he may end up being the best PG in the country by the end of the year if he keeps improving at this rate. Not even in the top 50? What a pathetic bunch of myopic blatant anti-Duke agitprop hate.

JBDuke
11-29-2012, 08:31 AM
For me, the play of the game came late in the clock sometime during the last few minutes. Cook was dribbling around and through people, cool as could be, is going away from the basket its under ten, turns, makes a sick move, is taking it down a line to the rim but has people who are in position to stop the score. Not by the look on Cook's face they aren't. Here was the really cool part. At the end, if he picks it up off the dribble and brings it in front to met his left, the ball is gone. An Ohio State guy is waiting for it, knows he has it timed;. Just where Cook wants him, because Cook has no intention of bringing that ball anywhere near his left hand or to the middle of his body. He continues leisurally to the rim, reaches low with his right hand to scoup the ball up, carryiing it in a swing motion up and let's it float to the backboard and caroom in. Are you kidding me. Cook is one remarkable player, who has followed the leadership of Seth and with a smile shows the world that he loves being in the Moment.

I saw a fee minutes of a YouTube link showing a couple of three minutes of Rasheed, and knew what this guy brings. I said so here the very next day. I see Michael Jordan in this kid.

Ryan is a link player and is starting to read the game, to read and appreciate the talents around him. I though that his two spin moves in the laneare precisely the dagger weapon that will bring the crowd away from aMason, draw defenders in from outside and give Sheed, Cook and Seth time and space. I hope he doesn't give up on it because he missed. He missed because the circle he made looped to qwide and he never really stopped turning. If he used the plant of his right foot to slow down the spin, and then lift that foot back under him, I think that he still gets that jump shoot off with the defender unable to mount a significant challenge. If he does, a little eyelid lift and even littler tilt of the forhead and eyes up, the defender starts going up, Ryan stays down, steps through with his right foot, and with the defender now behind Ryan's left butt, Ryan has a snow cone. He can also just make the spin smaller and with less speed. When this guy becomes 65-80 percent from the foul line on in with that move, ouch.

Mason has the look of confidence that fits his game. He smiles also. He should.

I know exactly the play you're referring to that Quinn made, and I agree it was key. Funny you mention Seth's influence there, as I thought it WAS Seth who made that play. I'll take your word that my recollection was wrong.

Also funny that you mention Rasheed's similarity to Jordan. I (and several others) have mentioned that Rasheed reminds me a little of Nolan Smith and Johnny Dawkins, but as I was watching last night, I thought Jordan was a better comparison. Rasheed isn't quite as big, and I don't think he's got quite the "ups" that a young Jordan had, but his ability to play on the perimeter and in the post, his driving skills, his handle, and his defense all remind me of the collegiate Jordan. I'm very excited to watch his growth and maturity in a Duke uniform. Here's hoping he sticks around for a couple of years.

BTW, here is Duke Blue Planet's post-game Top 5 plays and player on player interviews. I love Marshall's work on these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVUTKenxM0&feature=player_embedded

fuse
11-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Awesome win.

You captured pretty much what I had intended to say. I agree, for some reason this feels like the best win of the season so far- not taking anything away from the UK win or Atlantis tournament, but this was a gutty win.

Mike Corey
11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Now that the euphoria has dimmed, I find myself surprised at how good this team has proven to be so quickly.

And yet, the thing that continues to encourage me most is what Coach K keeps saying over and over--he thinks this team has gelled already, that this team has character already, that this team has come together already.

When you give K some experience and some NBA talent and a lot of unity, you've got the makings of a winner. After that lackluster first half, where our stagnation on offense and OSU's defense dictated the game...as a fan you're frustrated but you comfort yourself in the thought that this is still very early in the year, and this team has been a little busy.

Then you come out and do that? Curry's clearly more bothered by his shin than he had been; so Sulaimon steps up in half number two. Cook felt challenged by Aaron Craft's defense, so Cook outdid him. The highlight of the game for me was when Cook seemed to decide that he was going to dictate the game instead, and manned up Craft, stole the ball, and led us on another successful transition down the court.

Kelly played terrific defense on Thomas. Neither can jump out of the gym or beat you with agility; Thomas has a knack for scoring, though, if you give him an inch. Kelly seldom gave him any. You hold someone to 8 points fewer than their average, and you're going to win most of the time.

Hairston came in and had a job to do, and did it well. He had two opportunities to score, and capitalized on them. Can't ask for more than that.

Mason was just...tremendous. He wasn't getting a lot of FG tries in the first half, so he made 9/12 free throws (7/10 in the first half? can't remember). And when he had the room to make a move, he did. One in particular, moving to his left hand--he's learned and developed a great deal. Who was the writer saying that he didn't have the look of a confident player? Ha. There's no better big man in America right now, including Mr. Zeller at Indiana.

This is a funnnn team to watch. Lots and lots of fight. And only room to grow and improve.

Curry's progress is something to monitor. But heaven forbid, if he's forced to rest, this team just showed us that others can and will step up.

dyedwab
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
...but Quinn Cook playing 40 minutes, getting 8 assists and only 3 turnovers against Aaron Craft and the Ohio State defense was incredibly.

Craft is one those guys who you just like to watch play defense - he's really good and I wish he played for Duke. But Quinn, after a bit of a tentative start, really really excelled.

And, he got 6 defensive rebounds also. Having our guards crash the glass successfully in the 2nd half was a key to the win.

roywhite
11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
...but Quinn Cook playing 40 minutes, getting 8 assists and only 3 turnovers against Aaron Craft and the Ohio State defense was incredibly.

Craft is one those guys who you just like to watch play defense - he's really good and I wish he played for Duke. But Quinn, after a bit of a tentative start, really really excelled.

And, he got 6 defensive rebounds also. Having our guards crash the glass successfully in the 2nd half was a key to the win.

Quinn has been terrific. I'm happy for what he's meant to the team, and happy for him.

These are some tough opponents and backcourts that he has faced -- VCU, Louisivlle, Kentucky, Ohio State -- and he's done a great job.

Unless I'm overlooking somebody, I'd say Quinn is NOW the best PG in the ACC.

InSpades
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Awesome win last night!

What this team has already accomplished (7 games into the season!) is amazing. There have been 3 top 5 teams to lose this year and the name on the other side of the board has been Duke for all of them.

Can't say enough good things about Rasheed. It's a tough adjustment coming in as a freshman as we've seen over the years. Very few of them do it this well and the list of Duke guys who've come in and made it look this easy is pretty short (Irving, Singler, Brand, Battier, Williams, etc.). It really looked like at the half that someone just told him "you're better than these guys, go out and show it", so he did just that.

The difference in Mason is startling. It's hard to tell he's the same player. His confidence is just through the roof. If anything I think we didn't use him enough tonight but he still put up 21 by running the court and getting big rebounds. If there was any doubt he was the favorite for NPOY then there isn't anymore.

It would be nice if Alex or Amile could step up and make real progress this year. Not that we need them to (obviously) but it would make Duke a more complete team. Hopefully Marshall gets healthy too and can take a bit of the load off the big men. The only real concern I have for the year is Seth's leg. If he can stay healthy the sky is the limit for this team.

Also... I'd like to mention the Duke Planet videos. In a word... "fabulous". Not just the fact that the videos are cool but the insight you get into the guys on the team. It really helps form a connection and makes the wins all the more enjoyable.

gus
11-29-2012, 09:18 AM
mason is a TINY bit higher....but also a tiny bit taller? we'll call it a wash!

the winner is.....DUKE!

Unless you factor in grant's hair.

The pictures are taken from different angles, so it's really hard to judge. Both amazing.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

I said the exact same thing last. A really impressive play by Mason.

NSDukeFan
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I know exactly the play you're referring to that Quinn made, and I agree it was key. Funny you mention Seth's influence there, as I thought it WAS Seth who made that play. I'll take your word that my recollection was wrong.

Also funny that you mention Rasheed's similarity to Jordan. I (and several others) have mentioned that Rasheed reminds me a little of Nolan Smith and Johnny Dawkins, but as I was watching last night, I thought Jordan was a better comparison. Rasheed isn't quite as big, and I don't think he's got quite the "ups" that a young Jordan had, but his ability to play on the perimeter and in the post, his driving skills, his handle, and his defense all remind me of the collegiate Jordan. I'm very excited to watch his growth and maturity in a Duke uniform. Here's hoping he sticks around for a couple of years.

BTW, here is Duke Blue Planet's post-game Top 5 plays and player on player interviews. I love Marshall's work on these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVUTKenxM0&feature=player_embedded

As always, Marshall steals the show in the Blue Planet video. It's too bad that the cleaners will now have to start cleaning the tops of the backboards at Cameron now. I also like that he said that he is going to break Mason's dunk record. Mason has been holding the fort very well, but it would be nice for him to have someone else to join him in the Plumlee Dunking Company.

Ggallagher
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM

The pictures are taken from different angles, so it's really hard to judge. Both amazing.

Both these dunks were things of beauty and real inspirations. There's no way I can pick between the two as to which is "better", but I think you have to give Mason some additional credit simply for lifting the extra weight. Mason's just a tad more solidly built than Grant.

Really great win last night! This one was just another great example of what I like so much about Duke's teams. I actually enjoy these games the most where the team is behind at half time. I KNOW from years of experience that Coach K and his staff will instruct and motivate the team in the locker room at half time, and I love watching how the team responds and conquers in the second half.

Great game DUKE.

roywhite
11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
We have a transition game!

It's great to see some baskets scored on run-outs, whether it be off a rebound or a steal.
We now have very good speed at 3 positions -- Mason, Quinn, and Rasheed; we've got ball handlers, and we've got finishers.
Quinn and Rasheed in the open court have the ability and the mindset to out-run their opponent to get to the rim or dish off.

We saw how difficult it can be to score against a good defense like tOSU in the first half, going 10 minutes without a field goal.
But when the transition game started working, we scored 50 points in the second half.
Key point of development for this team.

Cameron
11-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Being from around these parts – see my location – this will stand as one of the most important and most memorable wins of my entire life as a follower of Duke. I was in attendance in Columbus last year, and that walk to the car afterward was one of the most brutal I have ever encountered at any arena anywhere. (That I was dressed in blue so bright that I could have doubled for the Cookie Monster certainly didn’t help matters.) As a fan of the most hated team in the history of college basketball, that’s impressive. Ohio State fans are not good people. A loss last night would have shattered my earth. Ohio State may very likely never play in Cameron again for as long as I live, so seeing the Buckeyes win their only trip there – and their excruciating base of fans – would’ve haunted me until the day I died.

Rasheed.

He is one of the best five freshmen in the country, just as good anyone that Kentucky or UCLA brought in this fall, and the second best scorer on this Duke team behind our All-American center. He is as stone cold as a snowman. The game comes so very easily for him. He kept Duke in the thick of things last night almost single handedly during a sizzling stretch in the second half that saw him score seven points in a matter of about a minute and a half, including the 22-foot three that started the run that eventually won the ball game. Study the kid’s presence of mind with that sphere of leather in his hands, how calm he is as he approaches the basket at warp speeds in the midst of a pack of 240-pound giants. Aside from Kyrie Irving, Rasheed has the quickest handle I’ve seen from a Duke freshman since Jason Williams, and I think he may be a bit better than Williams was at this stage. The best way to describe the level at which he is playing as a freshman right now is that he is just one thought ahead of everyone else. Rasheed is absolutely terrific.

Mason.

The Godzilla movies were not about a giant lizard. They were home videos of Mason Plumlee swimming off the coast of Japan. He was a monster against Ohio State. The final stat line read 21 points and 17 rebounds, but Mason’s impact on the game yesterday evening was much greater than that. He struck fear into the Buckeyes every time he touched the ball inside the three-point arc, as they had no answer for him and continually had to leave Ryan and Rasheed open on the perimeter because they simply needed as many people in Mason’s general vicinity as possible. That dunk he had in transition, where he leaped so high that he stopped by Heaven just to say hello to former Duke trainer Max Crowder – “Hey, how ya doin’ Max? – is one of the most impressive ever witnessed in Cameron. The body control and agility and sheer spring necessary to complete such a play, well, very few have it. He’s special. The wait, was it worth? You bet. Mason is averaging just under 20, 11 and 2 (blks) on the season, with massive games in all three wins over three of the nation's top four teams in Kentucky, Louisville and Ohio State. He is the front runner for NPOTY.

ice-9
11-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't that be "doing a Duke on us??!" (WE would have been doing the Maryland - i.e. folding...) :rolleyes: ;)

Haha yeah, thought of that, but then it sounded weird...doing a Duke on Duke LOL!

jipops
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
We have a transition game!

It's great to see some baskets scored on run-outs, whether it be off a rebound or a steal.
We now have very good speed at 3 positions -- Mason, Quinn, and Rasheed; we've got ball handlers, and we've got finishers.
Quinn and Rasheed in the open court have the ability and the mindset to out-run their opponent to get to the rim or dish off.

We saw how difficult it can be to score against a good defense like tOSU in the first half, going 10 minutes without a field goal.
But when the transition game started working, we scored 50 points in the second half.
Key point of development for this team.

Yea, it seems to be the largest change from last year. We saw it against Louisville as well with Quinn of course being the vital piece in this.

azzefkram
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Small sample size. I was surprised by his numbers in this game but for the season he doesn't seem like he's as smooth/assured as he was last season. Seems more like a mini funk which hopefully this game has broken.

NSDukeFan
11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Small sample size. I was surprised by his numbers in this game but for the season he doesn't seem like he's as smooth/assured as he was last season. Seems more like a mini funk which hopefully this game has broken.

Ryan hasn't shot as well as he did last year for this small sample size this year, but I disagree that he doesn't seem as smooth/assured as last season. In my opinion, Ryan has looked very confident and more willing to put the ball on the floor with confidence and has been using a greater variety of moves. I expect he will break out for more than one 20 point game before Christmas.

rtnorthrup
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
In the 1990-1991 season Duke went out to play Arizona in the late season non-conference game that K likes to schedule to get ready for the tournament. Up until that point, Duke had been a very good team, but nothing to suggest we were going to win a National Title. Although Duke ended up losing that game in double OT, I will always remember that game as the coming out party of Grant Hill. Not that he had been poor before that game, it just seemed like Grant graduated from being a precocious freshman, to being a star on a team with a lot of stars. Last night, I saw something similar with Rasheed.

Ohio State's man-to-man defense is no joke. It reminded me of the kind of suffocating defense that Duke used to play. I don't know what Coach K said to Rasheed at half, but in the second half, we saw a new player. A player who knew he was better than anyone else on the court. A player who looked for his own offense and knew what he wanted to do with the basketball. With all due respect to Mason, who is head to head with Zeller for player of the year, but Rasheed is, in my opinion, our greatest offensive threat. He can break down just about any defender off the dribble, he knows where he wants to get his shots, he can finish in traffic, he has a great mid-range jump shot and his three point shooting is good enough that defenders have to respect it.

Billy Dat
11-29-2012, 10:56 AM

This WAS a huge play at the time, I agree. Analyzing the game flow highlights several key junctures:

-Aside from the anemic offense and failure to grab defensive rebounds, our defense in the first half was pretty solid, maybe, or maybe Ohio State's offense is just that poor. Aside from Thomas and crashing the glass, they don't have many developed weapons - although I think a lot of those kids have talent that will keep getting better, especially Smith and Thompson. Ohio State shot horribly in both halves, we just stunk it up in the first.
-We came out in the second and, after the teams exchanged misses for the first minute and a half, we got on track. Sheed hit his first jumper and Mason got the Grant Hill dunk and it was like the seal was broken.
-We then go nearly 2 minutes without a hoop and OSU scores a few times, including some second chance opportunities. At this point, around the 16 minute mark, the game starts to change for good. Mason gets a run out dunk, the Sheed hits a 3 on a second chance after a Mason rebound and Kelly hits a nice fader in the lane to cut it to 3. OSU would push it back to 8 with a few more second chance buckets, and we missed on a few exchanges, but the Duke offense was back on track. At the time, I was impressed by OSU's ability to keep the margin at 6, but the game was at least back and forth and being played at a high level.
-A huge Thomas 3 with 8 and a half minutes left gave OSU their last biggest lead at 5, and then the floodgates opened. Duke went on a 10-2 run over the next 3 - the 3 3s by Rasheed and Kelly.

A couple other key aspects:
-I co-sign those who applauded K's use of timeouts in the second half. They were extremely well timed.
-We also made amazing adjustments on offense and defense in the second half. K mentioned that they moved away from ball screens and went to a more spread offense to allow Cook and Rasheed to drive the ball. It opened everything up. On defense, the decided to never leave Thomas if possible, and to dare Craft to beat us, and he basically didn't have a good shooting night from 3, from midrange, or from close in. Both adjustments were key and they paid off.
-Aside from Thornton's defense getting Smith to dribble off his leg with 20 seconds left, Kelly got a huge tap out on one of the missed free throws in the final minute that saved a possession, it was a HUGE play at the time.
-Mason talked a lot about the guards rebounding, and others on the thread have mentioned it, too. In the final 10 minutes of the game, 7 of our 10-11 defensive rebounds were by Quinn, Rasheed and Tyler. That is HUGE!

moonpie23
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
i was expecting cook to slap the floor when we took the lead........woulda brought the house down....

i'll settle for the win....:cool:

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:02 AM
In the 1990-1991 season Duke went out to play Arizona in the late season non-conference game that K likes to schedule to get ready for the tournament. Up until that point, Duke had been a very good team, but nothing to suggest we were going to win a National Title. Although Duke ended up losing that game in double OT, I will always remember that game as the coming out party of Grant Hill. Not that he had been poor before that game, it just seemed like Grant graduated from being a precocious freshman, to being a star on a team with a lot of stars. Last night, I saw something similar with Rasheed.

Ohio State's man-to-man defense is no joke. It reminded me of the kind of suffocating defense that Duke used to play. I don't know what Coach K said to Rasheed at half, but in the second half, we saw a new player. A player who knew he was better than anyone else on the court. A player who looked for his own offense and knew what he wanted to do with the basketball. With all due respect to Mason, who is head to head with Zeller for player of the year, but Rasheed is, in my opinion, our greatest offensive threat. He can break down just about any defender off the dribble, he knows where he wants to get his shots, he can finish in traffic, he has a great mid-range jump shot and his three point shooting is good enough that defenders have to respect it.

I totally agree with your assessment of Rasheed, the look he had in his eyes when he came into the 2nd half was just incredible and gave me a chill.
He grew up tonight and became a man, the sky is the limit for him.
What I love most about him is that he will play within the team and does not need to hawk the ball to make things happen.

moonpie23
11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Sam wanted me to post this pic AGAIN!!!! mods, please forgive me........sigh....

"i KNOW that guy!"

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I totally agree with your assessment of Rasheed, the look he had in his eyes when he came into the 2nd half was just incredible and gave me a chill.
He grew up tonight and became a man, the sky is the limit for him.
What I love most about him is that he will play within the team and does not need to hawk the ball to make things happen.

Great observation. Not only is he extremely good, he plays within the team. That shows a maturity beyond his years.

ncexnyc
11-29-2012, 11:09 AM
After watching all of the Atlantis games live, I'm back to the old watching when I get home from work routine. As usual the in game thread doesn't give you an accurate feel of how the game is actually going. In a game such as last night's the negativity is extremely high and if I didn't know better I have thought we were getting killed.

Instead we were hanging with an OSU team that was giving us their best shot with both barrels, yet at the half we were still within reasonable striking distance, a distance that could easily be made-up after one of Coach K's famous halftime lectures.
I will say that this game turned near the end of the first half, when Quinn went for a steal near the sidelines. He tipped the ball ahead and as he was getting ready to secure the ball and lead a runout the kid for OSU nudged him resulting in the ball going out of bounds and back to OSU. Quinn seemed to take exception to the shot and the no call and appeared quite fired up about it. The kid who was in a funk for most of the half suddenly had a fire in his belly and he closed the half playing some inspired ball, which seemed to spread to the rest of the team.

Mason was steady from start to finish and is definitely in the running for NPOY.

Ryan also seemed in it from start to finish and he made a couple of 3's, which were huge.

Who was that Rasheed imposter during the first half? I'm glad security escorted that person out of the building and freed the real Rasheed in time for the second half. The kid is so explosive and he has such a complete game for a freshman. I know we have a loooooong thread dedicated to Alex Murphy and I'm not sure why, as the reason he's not getting any PT is pretty obvious when you watch Rasheed play. The kid attacks the basket fearlessly, can bomb from the outside, and he's already shown a nice mid-range game.

Tyler and Josh, the Hard Nosed Twins gave us solid in your face minutes.

Seth had a poor game. Was it the leg or the long defenders? Hopefully he can get some rest during the next stretch of games as with the talent this team has there isn't any reason to push things.

mapei
11-29-2012, 11:15 AM

You men, like, um . . . (actually, we probably needed Austin to play that way last year, not that anyone is referring to Austin, of course)

I think we conquered the Midwest (I count KY as a border Midwestern state - it's not really the South, and it's far from the East): KY, L'vul, MN, now OSU.

BTW, the Godzilla line upthread was awesome.

dukelifer
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Small sample size again- but both Quinn and Rasheed seem to like the big moment and are not afraid to take the big shot. That kind of confidence/cockiness is critical to Duke's post season success. Rasheed is going to get yelled at a lot if that is what it takes to light a fire ;) Duke has been pressed a few times this season with down to the wire games and responded very well. The misses on the front ends last night made it too close for comfort but this team is a very good free throw shooting team. Quinn wanted to take the shots at the end. Mason's new found free throw confidence is mind boggling. He definitely sees this as his team and is playing like a star. This team has grown a lot in the past couple of weeks. I expect that we will see some growth in Murphy and Jefferson soon as well. And while they get little press, Hairston and Thornton have been key players. They are workmen and understand their roles very well. I have been impressed with their energy and contributions to date. This is a very good Duke team- they play well together and the players have nicely defined roles. It is good to have seniors!

dyedwab
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Small sample size again- but both Quinn and Rasheed seem to like the big moment and are not afraid to take the big shot. That kind of confidence/cockiness is critical to Duke's post season success. Rasheed is going to get yelled at a lot if that is what it takes to light a fire ;) Duke has been pressed a few times this season with down to the wire games and responded very well. The misses on the front ends last night made it too close for comfort but this team is a very good free throw shooting team. Quinn wanted to take the shots at the end. Mason's new found free throw confidence is mind boggling. He definitely sees this as his team and is playing like a star. This team has grown a lot in the past couple of weeks. I expect that we will see some growth in Murphy and Jefferson soon as well. And while they get little press, Hairston and Thornton have been key players. They are workmen and understand their roles very well. I have been impressed with their energy and contributions to date. This is a very good Duke team- they play well together and the players have nicely defined roles. It is good to have seniors!

Wanted to highlight this bit, because I thought a key bucket at the time was Hairston's first put back that broke a really long streak of futility for our offense. At the time, I thought it was important that the team see someone score from the floor, and Hairston's put back was what the doctor ordered. His play was overtaken by events in terms of its overall importance, but I thought it significant at the time.

COYS
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
A quick rundown of the game:

The offensive boards we allowed in the first half mask what was an excellent defensive display from start to finish. The Buckeye's only had a handful of open looks from three (an important part of their offense). Otherwise, they shot contested jumpers or layups virtually the entire game (with a few defensive breakdowns sprinkled in to allow easy layups). We didn't have that many steals, but we were able to convert a good portion of the ones we did have into transition buckets. We also had some good runouts off of long rebounds. Meanwhile, the second half was just a lot of good defense. In some ways, Ohio State actually played better offense in the second half, at least when it came to the quality of their first shots. They came out hot and beat back our runs time and time again. However, our defense held firm and, more importantly, we tightened things up on the defensive glass which limited their second chance opportunities.

Get. The. Ball. To. Mason. We did this again and again. He has completely reinvented himself as a free throw shooter, which allowed Duke to score in the half court in the first half even though we couldn't get anything from our guards. Getting the ball to Mason early and often has two advantages. It gets our best player going right away and it puts serious defensive pressure on the opposition. OSU racked up fouls pretty quickly guarding Mason. He made them pay at the line and then the team made them pay once we got into the bonus. If we hadn't established Mason early in the game and gotten into the bonus during the first half, I don't even want to think about what the score might have been.

The second half was a glimpse of what this team is capable of doing. We played suffocating defense. We scored from the low post, by attacking the hoop, and by hitting open threes. We were cool and collected despite OSU consistently answering our runs. And, of course, we rebounded the basketball on the defensive end. Fifty points in a half against OSU, especially considering we weren't even in the bonus until the final 1:30, is REALLY impressive. Rasheed was a one man wrecking crew for a while. Quinn got us going in transition. Ryan had some big buckets. And Seth, despite not having his best game, really didn't force too much. He still attracted enough defensive attention that it opened up lanes for Rasheed and Quinn to get into the lane and make things happen.

Basically, of all the wins we've had so far, this one was my favorite. We played UK without Harrow (not that I actually think it would have made a difference, but still . . .). We played Louisville without Dieng (again, his replacements did well and it may not have made a difference). But we played a full strength Buckeye team that is capable of combining the suffocating defense that Louisville plays with an experienced and developed athletic wing in Thomas on the offensive end. We took our lumps early and, for the first time this season, got into a pretty big hole. The way the team responded in the second half was so impressive. OSU played an excellent game all the way through. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot. We simply clawed our way back and showed that any discussion of the elite teams in college basketball has to include Duke.

Billy Dat
11-29-2012, 11:35 AM
The misses on the front ends last night made it too close for comfort but this team is a very good free throw shooting team. Quinn wanted to take the shots at the end. Mason's new found free throw confidence is mind boggling.

Mind boggling is the correct description for Mason and the team's performance at the stripe. Who knew.

CDu
11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Wanted to highlight this bit, because I thought a key bucket at the time was Hairston's first put back that broke a really long streak of futility for our offense. At the time, I thought it was important that the team see someone score from the floor, and Hairston's put back was what the doctor ordered. His play was overtaken by events in terms of its overall importance, but I thought it significant at the time.

I agree. We had gone several minutes without a FG when Hairston got that putback. That futility had included a few possessions in which we got good looks near the rim but just didn't finish, but was mostly comprised of tentative possessions resulting in challenged shots (and no second chances). That bucket helped wake us up.

A quick rundown of the game:

The offensive boards we allowed in the first half mask what was an excellent defensive display from start to finish. The Buckeye's only had a handful of open looks from three (an important part of their offense). Otherwise, they shot contested jumpers or layups virtually the entire game (with a few defensive breakdowns sprinkled in to allow easy layups). We didn't have that many steals, but we were able to convert a good portion of the ones we did have into transition buckets. We also had some good runouts off of long rebounds. Meanwhile, the second half was just a lot of good defense. In some ways, Ohio State actually played better offense in the second half, at least when it came to the quality of their first shots. They came out hot and beat back our runs time and time again. However, our defense held firm and, more importantly, we tightened things up on the defensive glass which limited their second chance opportunities.

Get. The. Ball. To. Mason. We did this again and again. He has completely reinvented himself as a free throw shooter, which allowed Duke to score in the half court in the first half even though we couldn't get anything from our guards. Getting the ball to Mason early and often has two advantages. It gets our best player going right away and it puts serious defensive pressure on the opposition. OSU racked up fouls pretty quickly guarding Mason. He made them pay at the line and then the team made them pay once we got into the bonus. If we hadn't established Mason early in the game and gotten into the bonus during the first half, I don't even want to think about what the score might have been.

The second half was a glimpse of what this team is capable of doing. We played suffocating defense. We scored from the low post, by attacking the hoop, and by hitting open threes. We were cool and collected despite OSU consistently answering our runs. And, of course, we rebounded the basketball on the defensive end. Fifty points in a half against OSU, especially considering we weren't even in the bonus until the final 1:30, is REALLY impressive. Rasheed was a one man wrecking crew for a while. Quinn got us going in transition. Ryan had some big buckets. And Seth, despite not having his best game, really didn't force too much. He still attracted enough defensive attention that it opened up lanes for Rasheed and Quinn to get into the lane and make things happen.

Basically, of all the wins we've had so far, this one was my favorite. We played UK without Harrow (not that I actually think it would have made a difference, but still . . .). We played Louisville without Dieng (again, his replacements did well and it may not have made a difference). But we played a full strength Buckeye team that is capable of combining the suffocating defense that Louisville plays with an experienced and developed athletic wing in Thomas on the offensive end. We took our lumps early and, for the first time this season, got into a pretty big hole. The way the team responded in the second half was so impressive. OSU played an excellent game all the way through. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot. We simply clawed our way back and showed that any discussion of the elite teams in college basketball has to include Duke.

Great summary, and I couldn't agree more. I'll add that it is just fabulous to see the development of Mason and Cook and to see the rapid emergence of Sulaimon. Not to shortchange the rest of the team, but these three guys have just taken off this year. Cook's stats aren't Earth-shattering, but his impact on the game is very tangible. The difference in his play between the first half and second half was amazing, and was no small part of the reason we won last night. Same for Sulaimon. Mason, on the other hand, was a beast throughout. We needed him to be clearly the best big on the court, and he made sure that this was the case.

It is amazing how fluid our offense can look with two such inexperienced players handling the ball so much, but we look REALLY good at times. Add to that the defense (which was, as COYS noted, unbelievably suffocating) and you have a pretty good thing going. And that was with Curry struggling mightily. Hopefully he gets a chance to rest up a bit physically over the next few weeks. Adding him back to an already potent quartet of scorers will make us really tough to beat every night.

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:43 AM
You men, like, um . . . (actually, we probably needed Austin to play that way last year, not that anyone is referring to Austin, of course)

I think we conquered the Midwest (I count KY as a border Midwestern state - it's not really the South, and it's far from the East): KY, L'vul, MN, now OSU.

BTW, the Godzilla line upthread was awesome.

Yes you got me on that.
But please don't misunderstand me as I don't want to take anything away from Austin and how great he was.
But it does tend to put the rest of the team in a little lull and when that one player has an off night it is extremely hard to overcome.
I just enjoy hard team play more.

Jderf
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Get. The. Ball. To. Mason.

I like your (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?29304-Preseason-All-American-predictions&p=596143#post596143) use of periods (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27091-Jabari-Parker-Recruiting-Thread&p=587953#post587953).

millerecu
11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Was it just me or after the guards missed the first couple free throws of the one and one's.......anyone else wish Mason was taking them? Cannot believe that thought even crossed my mind.

oldnavy
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Notice the funny little hop that Quinn takes when he thinks he just might have thrown the ball a little too high... WOW! great play.

superdave
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Wow. Easy guys.

Although I do appreciate the optimism. If he has half the competitive fire of Jordan, I'll be ecstatic and we'll hang some banners.

Lar77
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
During halftime of the Indiana game, Jay W used the Coach K "Five Fingers - Fist" analogy to describe why UNC is not doing well.

Last night, we saw the "Five Fingers - Fist" in action. This is a team that is a joy to watch, because everyone is playing to one goal - win.

superdave
11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Curry's progress is something to monitor. But heaven forbid, if he's forced to rest, this team just showed us that others can and will step up.

What are the chances that Seth sits out December and just does cardio in the pool? Where would that get him by the time conference games come around?

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
During halftime of the Indiana game, Jay W used the Coach K "Five Fingers - Fist" analogy to describe why UNC is not doing well.

Last night, we saw the "Five Fingers - Fist" in action. This is a team that is a joy to watch, because everyone is playing to one goal - win.

Good point.
We have the pleasure to watch something special to develop here barring any injuries.
And the more I have time to think about it, it is flat out amazing that we were able to do this without much help from Seth, which shows that there is still allot of room for growth for us.

As for the other part, anytime UNC has a meltdown I care not for reasons just happy it is happening :cool:

Mal
11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Everyone else has already made most of the points I would, but I'll echo a few.

- I audibly groaned when Quinn threw that alley oop, because he rifled it far too hard and too high and it was going three rows into the stands.
- Awesome as Mason's dunk was on that play, notice in the side-by-side videos upthread how Grant had to slow down a little and jumped off of two feet for his. Maybe he thought Hurley hadn't seen him in time, or maybe he was just too fast and had to slow down, but the fact he did that while adjusting is still more impressive to me than a 6' 11" guy with the wingspan of an albatross doing it while flying at full speed. Only slightly, though. Plus, it was a title game.
- When Cook stripped Craft and got it to Mason (who I'm imagining was screaming "Get out of the way, Ryan!!!" as he flew past him for a dunk) and we cut the lead to 35-28 (I think), I knew we had a chance.
- Thompson has ridonculous hops. He had a couple wicked drive and dunks last night, although he's otherwise a very unfinished product.
- Deshaun Thomas may play at Ohio State, but that kid's a Tom Izzo Spartan through and through. One of the untold stories of the game is how we got him in early foul trouble and never let him really get his offensive game on track, because he showed at times what he's capable of. Amazing nose for points.
- To show how badly we were getting killed on the boards early, at one point in the first half they flashed the team shooting stats, and OSU had taken 30 shots to our 13! We're fortunate they had a poor overall shooting night, or they could have been up 20 in the first half again like last year, and our incredibly tenacious comeback probably wouldn't have ever gotten us over the hump.
- I can't believe I'm about to write this, but I actually thought The Brent was really good last night. Maybe it's pairing him with Bilas. He's a bit of a suck up and tends to take on the personality and characteristics of his color commentator, so setting him up with a cerebral guy like Bilas, he lines Jay up for good insights and focuses on what's going on in the game himself. I don't know. But he didn't get overly excited, he was praiseful for both teams and coaches, he didn't harp on any random, obscure issues or rely on dumb catch phrases, and he actually made some quality observations in both halves about what the teams were doing well and poorly and tactical and strategic adjustments being made and their impact. I still don't like the overuse of "the three ball" but he was more than tolerable last night.
- We took just 12 three-pointers all game and scored 50 points in the second half. I love that. We clawed and clawed and clawed our way back without EVER resorting to ill-advised, desperate bombing from long range. Even when our guys could practically taste the lead again and had almost gotten all the way back, when we got that deficit under 5 points, we didn't just start jacking them up. While we eventually swamped their boat with a string of 3's, including the two consecutive from Kelly, they were open, they were from the right spots (rather than the corners), and they were fully in the flow of the offense.

jipops
11-29-2012, 12:25 PM
What are the chances that Seth sits out December and just does cardio in the pool? Where would that get him by the time conference games come around?

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe now is a good time to rest him up for a month and give him very limited minutes for the next few games, with the possible exception of Temple.

Wander
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I

To me, Rasheed is halfway between Nolan Smith and Gerald Henderson. He uses Henderson's "pump fake a 3 then step in past the defender and take a long 2 jump shot" well, plus I think is closer to G's height.

COYS
11-29-2012, 12:33 PM
To me, Rasheed is halfway between Nolan Smith and Gerald Henderson. He uses Henderson's "pump fake a 3 then step in past the defender and take a long 2 jump shot" well, plus I think is closer to G's height.

I think this is an astute observation. As always, comparing two players is never quite perfect. I think Rasheed falls between the two in terms of overall athleticism, also. In a straight sprint, I think he beats both Nolan and Gerald. In terms of hops, he seems to be right in between them. He also might not be as strong as Gerald, but he is surprisingly strong, especially for a frosh. He also seems quicker in terms of lateral movement than either of those other former Dukies. The area where he is ahead of both of them (and waaaay ahead of Gerald) is vision. Nolan had an excellent senior season as a point guard, but even then it was obvious it wasn't his natural role. Rasheed has already shone some point guard skills. Nolan and Gerald accomplished a lot during their time at Duke. However, I see no reason why Rasheed can't end up with an even better career (hey, shameless optimism!).

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Wow. Easy guys.

Although I do appreciate the optimism. If he has half the competitive fire of Jordan, I'll be ecstatic and we'll hang some banners.

It is a given that Roy Williams has more give a @#$# in his little toe than our entire team has in their collective and everlasting souls.

Putting that aside, though, we are playing with a purpose and edge.

greybeard
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Wow. Easy guys.

If you watch some clips of Rasheed starting to penetrate into the lane, I'm recalling one, in particular, from theright side of the circle (not the 3 circle, the one that comprises the top of the key), you will see his upper body at something around a 10 to 15% angle from the vertical, with his head perpendicular to the ground without a tinge of strain in his shoulders, neck, or face, completely relaxed, and ready to pounce like a panther (you try that and you're lucky if you get anywhere near the verticle, or, if you do, you don't look like you're straining to (I'll stop here)). You will see him dribbling the ball off to the side of his left shoulder, with the ball bouncing high but below shoulder height. You will then see that he puts more into the ball so it comes shoulder height as he steps big, visually big and also with length that convinces you that he has begun irreversibly to a "go" in that direction, but in the next moment, you will see a small reset of his right foot and the left foot/leg return through the same trajectory, with his left foot slightly, an inch or two in front of his right, and spaced such that, if Sheed were a lefty, he'd be ready to go into a jump shot. Dynamic stability through a very challenging maneuver, complete reversibility throughout. Now, Rasheed is not a lefty, he was not in one-on-one isolation, and he kept his dribble and continued probbing a bit, before he gave the ball up.

So, what have I just described, up through the part about the carriage of the head and lack of tension etc. Every part of what I have described for me is the exact mirror of Michael Jordan's championship shot against Utah, minus the shove and the shot, of course. Run the highlights, as Warner Wolff used to say.

How else does Rasheed remind me of Michael? That head carriage no matter the orientation of the rest of himself, the lightness of his head, the lengthening of his spine and head upwards even as he is moving down, every time I see Michael Jordan. Next time you watch, take a good look if Rasheed is guarding the point and is waiting for him in that wide Duke defensive stance, the clap the floor stance only Rasheed claps his hands, His center is moving down, his spine slightly forward, his head is erect, and everything, from his feet to the top of his head is moving UP. That is Michael Jordan. From that place, you are the wind. You are the eagle. You are the panther. Few athletes have that quality.

This kid reminds me of Michael Jordan. Much of Rasheed's style, how he likes to move, where he likes to move, the tempos, remind me of Michael Jordan. Most of all is everthing going up, the dynamic stability that allows him to effortlessly go where he wants and pull back if he wants, and rise up if he wants. In that defensive stance, that wide relaxed smile, the wide open eyes taking things in, rather than reaching out to them, the way he claps his hands, the other things I mentioned.

I don't think it is a stretch at all. And, oh, by the way, I only caught the last 20 minutes, but you take a look at that pull up three, the camera shot from behind and over from the left, who does that look loike to you? Who as a freshman takes that shot because it fits, not because he is "the man" or because he can outmaneuver, but because that was an opportunity he saw before it came, he was getting ready and it was natural. The kid looked from inside out and outside in like Mike to me.

Now, Rasheed, I believe is a gifted, gifted learner--he looks with soft eyes to capture everything, focus on nothing, until bits and pieces of shape and feel and sequence, and timing, etc. give him a sense of what goes into a series of actions that we encapulate in words by labeling them something like "a shot," or "a move", as if they were divisable parts, separate things. To this kid, they are not. I think Sheed looked to Michael and explored what captured his eye, because there was so much to see that worked so effortlessly. I do not believe for a second that this is one of those deals where a kid mimics his favorite stars. Nor do I think that Jordan was the only ball player who caught Sheed's eye and sent him to the laboratory. Most importantly, I do not think that Rasheed is anything other than his own player; whatever you see this young man do on the court and I expect elsewhere, comes from his extraordinary ability to use that distinctive ability of the human mind to choose. He knows how to learn different ways to use himself and has the discernment to know inside what works best for him and chose it. That, I think, is something that Michael Jordan could learn a thing or two from him.

BD80
11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
My trusty black team shorts have been on a roll so far, incidentally, I wasn't wearing them when we played Lehigh..coincidence? I think not!

It is a given that Roy Williams has more give a @#$# in his little toe than our entire team has in their collective and everlasting souls.

Putting that aside, though, we are playing with a purpose and edge.

Our team is five working as one, a fist.

ol' roy is a big toe in charge of a bunch of wiggling piggies.

ol' roy deserves a single finger salute

TruBlu
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Our team is five working as one, a fist.

ol' roy is a big toe in charge of a bunch of wiggling piggies.

ol' roy deserves a single finger salute

I've been giving that salute to anything UNC for decades.

Mike Corey
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
From that place, you are the wind. You are the eagle. You are the panther. .

O Hark, O Muse,
Hear my screed.
I'm here to tell you,
'Bout a man named 'Sheed.

Neither butterly nor bee,
Nor fish that is finned.
He moves with such grace,
He moves like the wind.

The dog in this fight,
Is more than a beagle,
If he were a bird,
He'd soar like an eagle.

On Comet and Blitzen,
On Dancer and Prancer,
He'd hunt them down,
Like a cunning black panther.

Whether Heels in golf shirts,
Or Wolves in Osh Kosh B'Gosh,
You're in for a long four years:
Rasheed is just a frosh.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 03:15 PM
There was a Duke player, Rasheed
Who played with finesse and with speed
He scored, yes, at will
with great shots did thrill
Yet somehow Dan Ewing got T'd.

-- Karl Hess, poet low-reate.

devildeac
11-29-2012, 03:24 PM

We can make them co-owners.

devildeac
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow. Practically identical.

Grant has a better haircut.;)

Cameron
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow. Easy guys.

Would it scare you if I told you that last night I saw Wilt the Stilt in Mason? Because I saw it.

Call me crazy, but by the end of the season, Rasheed might be one of the most dynamic scorers in the country, period. As others have already mentioned, with his ability to score in such a variety of ways -- spot up threes, off-the-bounce 25-footers, runners, mid-range Js, slashing drives to the bucket, open court finishes, dunks, baseline bank shots, moves in the post, you name it -- there is no limit to just how prolific he can become. He's going to be very hard to prepare for, because who do you put on him? Your best perimeter defender, who Rasheed will just abuse inside on scoring drives, or a bigger, lengthier forward, who Rasheed will just toy with beyond the arc with rainbows and blow-bys, especially as his shot continues to develop.

While the Michael Jordan comparison is certainly high praise, he reminds me more of a veteran Kobe Bryant. I say veteran because Rasheed doesn't possess anywhere near the leaping ability that a young Kobe did. Rasheed's facility as a three-point shooter looks to be much more in line with that of Kobe than Jordan, who, despite the "What in the world is going on?" game against Portland -- that phrase right there should be your clue that Jordan wasn't a very good three-point shooter -- wasn't actually very proficient from outside. Rasheed is about an inch or two shorter than Kobe, and obviously not as chiseled as an NBA Hall-of-Famer of 17 years, but he has the same brand of all-around offensive skill set, displays the intangibles and physical gifts to become a phenomenal defender one day (he's already very, very good) and owns an eerily familiar competitive drive and will to win. The best part? Rasheed does all of his while staying within the framework of the team and choosing his points of attack very judiciously. He's wise way beyond his years. You just get the feeling that a superstar is in there somewhere, slowly trickling out with one great game after another. AM I WAY AHEAD OF MYSELF? YES! IS IT AWESOME THAT WE ARE EVEN DISCUSSING THIS? YES.

I just made Kedsy dizzy ;)

jimsumner
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I see Rasheed as a cross between Jerry West and Oscar Robertson, with just a hint of the Dalai Lama and Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Or maybe, I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

Ltrey33
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I think we saw the value of Ryan Kelly again in a big way last night. When he left the game in the first half it was 9-9, by the time he came back it was a 10-3 run with the offense looking VERY stagnant.

A lot of this was fleshed out last year before the Lehigh debacle, but his size and shooting ability really frees up Mason by spacing the floor. Whenever Jefferson or Hairston would enter the game Ohio State would deny Mason the ball in the post because they had help-side over the top, and our guards just simply couldn't get him the ball. I'd be interested to see Mason's production with Kelly on the floor vs. his production when another big man is in.

devildeac
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Coach Badass was asked this question at Chalk Talk before the game last evening and he replied that he trusted Coach to make the right call on that one;).

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I see Rasheed as a cross between Jerry West and Oscar Robertson, with just a hint of the Dalai Lama and Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I see him as a figure skater, doing interpretive ice dances of my life.

(btw, NDeGT has a great one-minute video on whether there is a meaning to life. Worth checking out on YouTube)

Kedsy
11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I just made Kedsy dizzy ;)

Yes, I'm going to go lie down now.

MChambers
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I think we saw the value of Ryan Kelly again in a big way last night. When he left the game in the first half it was 9-9, by the time he came back it was a 10-3 run with the offense looking VERY stagnant.

A lot of this was fleshed out last year before the Lehigh debacle, but his size and shooting ability really frees up Mason by spacing the floor. Whenever Jefferson or Hairston would enter the game Ohio State would deny Mason the ball in the post because they had help-side over the top, and our guards just simply couldn't get him the ball. I'd be interested to see Mason's production with Kelly on the floor vs. his production when another big man is in.

Which makes me think that unless Marshall has a better jump shot than I expect, we won't see much of Marshall and Mason on the floor together.

roywhite
11-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Since our imaginations are taking flight, I saw last night's game as a heavyweight prize fight, with two big-time opponents going at it.

After a tentative early round performance that left the hometown favorite behind on points, things picked up in the later rounds.
There was some serious flurries both inside and out as the hometowner took it to the challenger in front of a roaring crowd. The challenger found his offense less effective and some of his shots blocked.
Then the most decisive punches that turned the contest were successive haymakers (3-pointers) from Ryan Kelly.

Some key work by the corner men during breaks in the action kept the champ steady down the stretch and allowed him to gain a unanimous decision.

Cameron
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, I'm going to go lie down now.

I see him as a figure skater, doing interpretive ice dances of my life.

Haha.

While Rasheed is in reality nowhere near as elite as Michael, Kobe, the Lama or Tara Lipinski, he does have the skills to be one of the premier players, not just freshmen, in all of the land by spring. He is getting more and more confident with each game, and that confidence is flowing over onto the floor. He's better than I ever dreamed he'd be at this juncture, I can confidently say that, and I have repped him pretty hard (maybe even too much at certain points). What he is, is a winner and winners understand that your best isn't good enough. That's why I am fully confident that he will only continue to grow as young man and blossom as an even more potent scorer as the weeks pass.

uh_no
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM

break out the cinder blocks!

NSDukeFan
11-29-2012, 03:58 PM

We can make them co-owners.

When Marshall comes back, will he and Mason be Plum lords?

oldnavy
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
break out the cinder blocks!

Well unfortunately there are no cinder blocks in the background so that we can get an accurate measurement of the vertical, BUT I might be able to estimate based on the rows of bleachers... I will have to get back with you on that one.

timmy c
11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Well unfortunately there are no cinder blocks in the background so that we can get an accurate measurement of the vertical, BUT I might be able to estimate based on the rows of bleachers... I will have to get back with you on that one.

no cinder blocks? Architects typically refer to those as CMUs - Concrete Masonry Units!!!

Mcluhan
11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
same thing running through my mind....definitely one of the top alley-oops in duke history.

Hurley-Hill vs Kansas was obviously amazing, but perhaps moreso was Brian Davis to Hill versus Georgia Tech, around the 2min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmP7lxi-PY

Indoor66
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM

You forgot Ghandi.

94duke
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Hurley-Hill vs Kansas was obviously amazing, but perhaps moreso was Brian Davis to Hill versus Georgia Tech, around the 2min mark:

Agree. BD's pass was worse than Bobby's which was worse than Cook's.
That's actually why I think Grant's dunk from Bobby was more amazing/difficult than Cook-Plumlee. Grant had no business catching that ball from Bobby, much less slamming it home! And in the Nat'l Championship game, no less!

elvis14
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
When Marshall comes back, will he and Mason be Plum lords?

Only when they are playing a miles away at the Dump on the Hump!

elvis14
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM

Thanks for that Mcluhan, what a great video. Sometimes it's easy to forget how amazing Grant was before all the injuries.

davekay1971
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM

You guys are joking around, but I look at one current Duke player and see strong similarities to an old Duke player that I find very very encouraging.

Cook reminds me so much of Tommy Amaker.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
You guys are joking around, but I look at one current Duke player and see strong similarities to an old Duke player that I find very very encouraging.

Cook reminds me so much of Tommy Amaker.

Would be great if he could play the same type of D. (Obviously)

Cook has more offensive game than Tommy. (obviously)

Can't wear Tommy's number though. Thanks for nothing, JJ. ;>)

Would be nice if Rasheed would take the role of Johnny D as well!

Newton_14
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I am late to the party, so apologies if some of this is redundant. What a game! I just re-watched it, and picked up on a few things I did not catch live. One was the long scoring drought in the first half. In all my years of watching Duke games, I have never seen a game where all of the Duke guards were completely shut down for an entire half. Our guards did not make a single jump shot in the entire first half. Two very odd things on top of that. First, Quinn Cook scored the only basket by Duke guards or wings in the first half, and it was a little floater after a Duke miss, and offensive rebound. That is simply amazing. The only jump shots made in the first half were by Kelly. Second: After Kelly made a jump shot from the wing somewhere around the 14 minute mark in the first half, Duke never scored from the floor again on the first shot attempt of a possession the remainder of the half. In fact, they only scored 2! more baskets from the floor the remainder of the half! That too is amazing. Cook made the aforementioned floater, and Josh Hairston scored on a put back. Everything else came from the foul line, mostly from Mason. Seth made two free throws, Cook the floater, Hairston the put back, and everything else was Mason and Ryan. Very strange half unlike any I have seen before.

Had that happened to last year's team, we are down 20 at the half, if not more. Which brings me to...once again I will state this Duke team is off the charts better defensively than last years team. Our first half defense was really strong. The Thomas 3's aside, much of OSU's points came off run-outs from bad turnovers, and put backs on offensive rebounds. The first line of defense was really good, as we forced OSU into tough shots. They got a couple of easy baskets but overall they had to work. Take away the turnovers, and rebound better, and it's a one or two point game at the half despite our horrible offense.

The second half was fun to watch. I agree with others that OSU's half-court defense was the best we have faced all year. So much length, and lots of discipline. Those guys can defend. Unfortunately for them, OSU was facing arguably the best front-court tandem in America in Mason the Beast Plumlee, and Ryan the Beard Kelly. The chemistry between Mason and Ryan is great and getting better. The over the head pass from Mason to Ryan was sick. They just play off each other really well, and with their different skill-sets, make for a difficult tandem to defend.

The play of budding star Rasheed Suliamon turned the game, along with Quinn getting it going in the second half. Once those two guys started driving the ball, it got the offense firing on all cylinders. That one aspect, was really the biggest difference from the 1st half to the 2nd half. I think the length of OSU intimidated those two in half one, but the used their speed, power, and craftiness to take it right at OSU in the 2nd Half. I thought that was the main thing that turned the game. Plus, as Roy White opined, Quinn and Rasheed give Duke a fast breaking element that has not been there in years, really. The ability to generate those easy buckets takes a team to a different level.

I like this team a lot. Good to see Murphy get some burn in both halves, and he made a nice defensive play on the lob attempt. If we can get development from Amile, and Murphy to the point where they can contribute in both halves no matter the opponent; get quality minutes from MP3 when he returns to have an option when foul trouble rears its head with Mason or Ryan, and finally, keep Seth healthy enough to play at a high level all season, then this team will have a great chance to do something really special.

They are darn good right now, but the potential is there, if pieces can fall in place, for this team to be dominant. A lot of ifs for sure, but it is certainly possible.

Finally, part of me believes, that as the clock was ticking down last night, a certain video coordinator on the visitor's bench was all smiles inside and glad that "his team" won the game.:)

mapei
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
In American sports - maybe in international sports, too - we tend especially to celebrate the comeback wins, as if our exposed vulnerability makes the ultimate win so much more satisfying. I remember an old NFL Films VHS tape of John Elway's many 4th quarter comebacks, the most famous of course being "The Drive" in whatever year that playoff game in Cleveland was. Maybe it's like pursuing the romantic-partner-of-our-dreams and being rejected, fearing the worst, only eventually somehow to win his/her love after all. Such a joy and relief. Austin's shot to win at Chapel Hill last year was so awesome because it looked like we were going to lose.

But shouldn't we also feel a little weird about our teams' getting in such a hole that it takes a dramatic comeback to win? Yes, our guys played a fantastic, near-perfect second half (other than those damn missed 1-and-1s, and sometime I'll do a whole post on how unfair I think the 1-and-1 is), but we were really outclassed in the first half. Only Mason kept us in contention. I was really, really excited about last night - couldn't go to sleep for hours, and paid for it today. We went toe-to-toe with three of the best teams in the country, and found a way to win all three. And, I think in every case, we beat a more highly ranked team, proving to the country and ourselves that we are capable of being better than folks realized. But we shouldn't forget that we're not so good that we're dominating these games.

I'm getting pretty contorted here trying to articulate it, but there is something NOT so great about comeback wins, too. Indiana wasn't really the better team in 2002.

Newton_14
11-29-2012, 10:35 PM
In American sports - maybe in international sports, too - we tend especially to celebrate the comeback wins, as if our exposed vulnerability makes the ultimate win so much more satisfying. I remember an old NFL Films VHS tape of John Elway's many 4th quarter comebacks, the most famous of course being "The Drive" in whatever year that playoff game in Cleveland was. Maybe it's like pursuing the romantic-partner-of-our-dreams and being rejected, fearing the worst, only eventually somehow to win his/her love after all. Such a joy and relief. Austin's shot to win at Chapel Hill last year was so awesome because it looked like we were going to lose.

But shouldn't we also feel a little weird about our teams' getting in such a hole that it takes a dramatic comeback to win? Yes, our guys played a fantastic, near-perfect second half (other than those damn missed 1-and-1s, and sometime I'll do a whole post on how unfair I think the 1-and-1 is), but we were really outclassed in the first half. Only Mason kept us in contention. I was really, really excited about last night - couldn't go to sleep for hours, and paid for it today. We went toe-to-toe with three of the best teams in the country, and found a way to win all three. And, I think in every case, we beat a more highly ranked team, proving to the country and ourselves that we are capable of being better than folks realized. But we shouldn't forget that we're not so good that we're dominating these games.

I'm getting pretty contorted here trying to articulate it, but there is something NOT so great about comeback wins, too. Indiana wasn't really the better team in 2002.

I hear what you are saying, but will respectfully disagree about last night. What you describe above fits much better with last year's team. The State game. The Miami game, Virginia. Everyone kept saying that so far this years team was mirroring last years, except not quite true. Yes we won the Champions Classic game against UK (just like last year against MSU), and yes we won a strong preseason tourney beating a top 5 team in the final against Lousville (just like last year against Kansas), but last night we broke the pattern. Instead of getting blown out in the Big 10 challenge, we win. So that is much different.

But back to your overall point. Last years team repeated the same patterns over an over again. They would either march out to a big lead, then give it all back down the stretch, barely hanging on to win. (that started in game 1 against a decent but not great Belmont team. Andre saved the day with a dagger 3). Or, they would play like absolute crap and fall way behind (almost always at home) and then rally like crazy with 3 bombs and either win it (State) or blow it (Miami). But, that team had fatal flaws that this team does not have. They still had a hell of a year, finish be damned, but as K and staff admitted over the summer, they did it with smoke and mirrors (and lots and lots of 3's). They could not defend to save their lives, did not have good chemistry, and could not/would not play to their strengths in the post. They also had no point guard.

This years team is far different. It has a dynamic PG that is getting better game by game. A dominant center that is being used well. A versatile PF who can hurt you in multiple ways and has blossomed into a great defender and shot blocker. A veteran guard that can kill you from 3, but also drive and score. A dynamic wing that can get his own shot, knock down 3's, score from mid-range, and drive to score or drive to dish. It has 2 dirty work guys in THornton and Hairston that can provide solid defense no matter who the opponent is, and score if left unattended. They have two promising wings who K is starting to trust a little more each game in Amile and Murph, and a backup center who may well be able to contribute when he gets healthy. Most of all they have great chemistry, and play great team defense aside from rebounding.

After watching last nights game twice, my opinion is the first half was about two rookies in Quinn and Rasheed who played far too tentative and were afraid to drive, and worse, were playing to "not make a mistake". When those two guys started asserting themselves in the 2nd half, by driving to the hoop, taking midrange jumpers, and 3 pointers, it opened up the offense and led to a 50 point half against one of the best defensive teams in the country. The best part? The team only took 12 3 pointers the entire game. Of those 50 points, there were only 4 three pointers. 4. Thats it. No way that happens last year.

I feel the bad first half on offense (and really it was just offense. The defense was strong) was simply about 1. Youth Tentativeness (see above) 2. A mentally and possibly physically fatigued team playing their 4th tough team in 7 days with travel mixed in, and 3. Seth Curry's bum leg paying the piper for all the mpg in the 3 day tourney.

I fully believe the better team won the game after imposing their will on the more than worthy opponent. It was anything but smoke and mirrors.

Time will tell, but I do not see this team playing the horrible home games that last year's team played, and I certainly do not see them having to rely soley on 3 pointers to beat anybody. This team has a stong post scoring element from two very different guys in Mase and Ryan, 3 guys that can take you off the bounce and get their own shot, a fast breaking element unlike any Duke team in years, and solid 3 point threats that can and will make a defense pay, but they don't have to put all their hope on that 3 point element.

I am looking forward to the games between now and conference play to see how much development an improvement occurs because it stands to reason this team is on an upward trajectory and we have not seen their best yet.

SoCalDukeFan
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Super second half.

We have 3 very good to excellent outside players in Rasheed, Quiin, and Seth. Tyler is a great sub and rounds out the outside guys.

Mason is super and Ryan is fine. Josh does the job. Need Marshall to get healthy or Jefferson to improve a little.

Team knows their roles.

My worry is Mason in foul trouble.

I hope that when the season is over Mason is the poster man for why one should come back for his senior year.

SoCal

roywhite
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Mason is super and Ryan is fine. Josh does the job. Need Marshall to get healthy or Jefferson to improve a little.....

I hope that when the season is over Mason is the poster man for why one should come back for his senior year.

SoCal

yeah, and Mason with 39 minutes!

SoCal...you'll relate to this....remember when USC built their offense around great tailbacks who dominated games, guys like Garrett, Simpson, Marcus Allen, etc. etc. One of the things about the tailback was how he would be a leader in terms of work habits....when they ran drills in practice, the tailback would run the whole drill out, sometimes going the length of the field. He was the star, but also worked the hardest. It was a position of great honor and importance.

I think this is the type thing that K has set up with Mason....you're the man, you're going to set the example for the whole team, we'll ride you
And Mason now seems to be embracing the role....great to see.

gep
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
yeah, and Mason with 39 minutes!

To me... this is the significant stat. 39 minutes and ONLY 2 fouls, to go along with 21 points and 17 rebounds... AND 2 blocks. It's amazing to me the conditioning he has. I'm not sure there are many college centers that play 39 minutes, let alone getting the other stats along with it. Mason has figured this thing out, and probably (behind the scenes, I don't know) Wojo helped too :cool:

And... when Mason air-balled that last free throw, my wife said "He's tired"... especially after playing essentially the entire game. I had no idea that he might have missed on purpose... but just didn't hit the rim :cool:

One last observation... when I re-watched parts of the game, almost every time that someone other than Mason got the rebound and everyone was running down the court, Mason was the fastest of them all. I expected him to be tired after that 110% effort for the entire 39 minutes. Just amazing.

greybeard
11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
These guys smile when they make plays with the game on the line. They seem to relish letting opponents come nose to nose with them in crunch-time moments and then let out a kid-like grin when they put some nastiness on them that starts the pull-away through the finish line.

Yes, I can't understand how I missed this earlier, but these guys collectively are The Biscuit, no question.:cool:

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
I do not want to revive the Alex Murphy thread, but will note that he was the first big man off the bench and played as many minutes as Amile. Good contribution, hope he builds on it and we see him more in the next few preconference games.

BD80
11-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I do not want to revive the Alex Murphy thread, but will note that he was the first big man off the bench and played as many minutes as Amile. Good contribution, hope he builds on it and we see him more in the next few preconference games.

But then what would there be to complain about or second-guess the best college basketball coach in the history of the game?

DukieInBrasil
11-30-2012, 08:38 AM
To me... this is the significant stat. 39 minutes and ONLY 2 fouls, to go along with 21 points and 17 rebounds... AND 2 blocks. It's amazing to me the conditioning he has. I'm not sure there are many college centers that play 39 minutes, let alone getting the other stats along with it. Mason has figured this thing out, and probably (behind the scenes, I don't know) Wojo helped too :cool:

And... when Mason air-balled that last free throw, my wife said "He's tired"... especially after playing essentially the entire game. I had no idea that he might have missed on purpose... but just didn't hit the rim :cool:

One last observation... when I re-watched parts of the game, almost every time that someone other than Mason got the rebound and everyone was running down the court, Mason was the fastest of them all. I expected him to be tired after that 110% effort for the entire 39 minutes. Just amazing.

Coach K took him out with 0.2 seconds on the clock, so he really played 39m:59.8s of the game, not sure why that doesn't show up as 40 minutes. ;-)

davekay1971
11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Would be great if he could play the same type of D. (Obviously)

Cook has more offensive game than Tommy. (obviously)

Can't wear Tommy's number though. Thanks for nothing, JJ. ;>)

Would be nice if Rasheed would take the role of Johnny D as well!

I was thinking about the D and see a trajectory with Cook that could make put him close to Tommy's level one day. Tommy was a superb defender. Last year Cook was a defensive liability. This year he's actually become a good defender, though not a great one. With two more years in Duke's system, and with Cook's obvious desire to improve all aspects of his game, he could make that leap.

davekay1971
11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

The only thing to worry about with this team is depth. We have talent, we have an inside-outside balance better than we've had since (cough cough) 2010.

If Alex and Amile can contribute, and with Marshall coming back from injury, we'll have the depth we need to withstand foul trouble and matchup issues. Right now, with essentially a 3 guard lineup, we could be vulnerable to a team with an aggressive kid in the 6'8" range playing at the 3. We're certainly vulnerable to foul trouble with Kelly or Mason. Having Alex and Amile able to provide good minutes and Marshall back to provide some cushion for our bigs will be incredibly helpful, and very well might save our bacon in a one-and-done situation.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about the D and see a trajectory with Cook that could make put him close to Tommy's level one day. Tommy was a superb defender. Last year Cook was a defensive liability. This year he's actually become a good defender, though not a great one. With two more years in Duke's system, and with Cook's obvious desire to improve all aspects of his game, he could make that leap.

Watched the game again last night. Both QC and RS played pretty solid defense. As I am sure you know (but for those who were not around) Tommy was the national defensive player of the year. Kenny Smith said that Tommy was the only guy he ever played against that Kenny basically just had to turn his back to the basket to move the ball forward and keep Tommy from stealing it.

As an aside, BluePlanet has a post-game interview with Cook that is very interesting. "Miami"

The only thing to worry about with this team is depth. We have talent, we have an inside-outside balance better than we've had since (cough cough) 2010.

If Alex and Amile can contribute, and with Marshall coming back from injury, we'll have the depth we need to withstand foul trouble and matchup issues. Right now, with essentially a 3 guard lineup, we could be vulnerable to a team with an aggressive kid in the 6'8" range playing at the 3. We're certainly vulnerable to foul trouble with Kelly or Mason. Having Alex and Amile able to provide good minutes and Marshall back to provide some cushion for our bigs will be incredibly helpful, and very well might save our bacon in a one-and-done situation.

Foul trouble is always a concern. Jiggy has played some nice minutes against a variety of sizes, and K is letting Mason and Kelly play with foul trouble now to get them ready for such situations. Having said that, of course, the next few games may allow for more extended minutes from the freshman and red-shirters.

dyedwab
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Foul trouble is always a concern. Jiggy has played some nice minutes against a variety of sizes, and K is letting Mason and Kelly play with foul trouble now to get them ready for such situations. Having said that, of course, the next few games may allow for more extended minutes from the freshman and red-shirters.

I think the learning is already taking place. Mason committed a 4th foul against KY that he admitted was foolish - and has been clear of that in the last 4 games against top competition. Kelly, I though, played really well defensively with foul trouble against Ohio State. Seems unlikely that over the next month that we will have more of an opportunity for them to play smart and with foul trouble against top competition then we have already.

As for depth, this feels surprisingly simple to me (Yes, I know its not). Our greatest weakness so far seems to be rebounding, and there's at least a part of that skill that is energy/effort based. Strikes me that whichever of our bench players (Murphy, Jefferson, Plumlee III, Hairston) becomes focused on rebounding will get much of the minutes of the bench.

TruBlu
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the learning is already taking place. Mason committed a 4th foul against KY that he admitted was foolish - and has been clear of that in the last 4 games against top competition. Kelly, I though, played really well defensively with foul trouble against Ohio State. Seems unlikely that over the next month that we will have more of an opportunity for them to play smart and with foul trouble against top competition then we have already.

As for depth, this feels surprisingly simple to me (Yes, I know its not). Our greatest weakness so far seems to be rebounding, and there's at least a part of that skill that is energy/effort based. Strikes me that whichever of our bench players (Murphy, Jefferson, Plumlee III, Hairston) becomes focused on rebounding will get much of the minutes of the bench.

When asked after the game if the Team discussed getting better in the rebounding effort, Mason laughed and said they actually talked about it before the game, but " . . . actually started doing it at halftime".

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
When asked after the game if the Team discussed getting better in the rebounding effort, Mason laughed and said they actually talked about it before the game, but " . . . actually started doing it at halftime".

K also mentioned in the post-game press conference that rebounding was a weakness that would be addressed in practice, but with the schedule they have had over the last week they had not had much practice time.

MChambers
11-30-2012, 09:57 AM
But then what would there be to complain about or second-guess the best college basketball coach in the history of the game?
Well, we could start by asking when K will try a zone!

mapei
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I hear what you are saying, but will respectfully disagree about last night. What you describe above fits much better with last year's team . . .

After watching last nights game twice, my opinion is the first half was about two rookies in Quinn and Rasheed who played far too tentative and were afraid to drive, and worse, were playing to "not make a mistake" . . .

You made very fair points in response to mine, I think. And I tend to agree with you that the impression of this year's team is of one that can play together much better than last year's, and that adds some very substantial improvement in a couple of key individuals as well. The only bone I would pick is that the first half of the OSU game wasn't just about Duke - I thought the Buckeyes were playing really, really well. It's possible that they just couldn't sustain it, and that was a factor along with the improvements that our guys brought in the second half.

I'll cling to my more general point that, in sports, our elation about comeback wins tends to mask the issues that got us in so much trouble that a dramatic comeback was required. I'd rather not have to come back. ;) That doesn't keep me from being super-impressed with what I've seen from Duke so far this season.

As for all the great things people are saying about Mason, I couldn't agree more.

davekay1971
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM

I'm going to be ticked if our starting lineup next game doesn't include Murphy, Amile, Hairston, and Marshall (with or without the boot). K needs to develop his bench!

camion
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM

He tried it once.

Didn't like it.

NSDukeFan
11-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm going to be ticked if our starting lineup next game doesn't include Murphy, Amile, Hairston, and Marshall (with or without the boot). K needs to develop his bench!

I don't care who he starts as long as they don't play too much and get tired legs in March.

Lar77
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
He tried it once.

Didn't like it.

Remember after the 2008 Olympics when K was psyched up (bit of an exaggeration) about zone defense after spending two months with Boeheim. Didn't last long - I think I saw it for moments in 3 games since then

BD80
11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
He tried it once.

Urban legend

MChambers
11-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Remember after the 2008 Olympics when K was psyched up (bit of an exaggeration) about zone defense after spending two months with Boeheim. Didn't last long - I think I saw it for moments in 3 games since then

K used it in the 2010 World Championship, I think right at the end of a very close game, against Spain or Brazil. It worked pretty well, but mostly because it caused the opponent to fritter away precious seconds trying to figure out the defense.

westwall
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
-- Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but this is High Praise indeed:

"How times have changed in the Ohio State basketball program.

After the Buckeyes reached the Final Four in 1999, for the first time in 31 years, then-coach Jim O'Brien uttered this unforgettable line in his postseason news conference: "Anybody that's expecting Final Fours to be a yearly occurrence needs to start following Duke."

Since Thad Matta succeeded O'Brien in 2004, the Buckeyes have made it to the Final Four twice in the past six seasons, losing to Florida in the NCAA championship game in 2007 and to Kansas in a national semifinal last season. They are ranked No.4 tonight as they take on No.2 Duke in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Rather than view Duke as being at another level, Matta aspires to build a program like coach Mike Krzyzewski has in 33 years there.
"I hope in 25 years our program’s still at the level it is, because that’s exactly what Duke has done," Matta said before the Buckeyes left Tuesday for Durham, N.C. "They’ve stood the test of time. There have been a lot of great players roll through there. . . . They recruit at the highest level, we attempt to recruit at the highest level."'

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 07:48 PM
-- Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but this is High Praise indeed:

"How times have changed in the Ohio State basketball program.

After the Buckeyes reached the Final Four in 1999, for the first time in 31 years, then-coach Jim O'Brien uttered this unforgettable line in his postseason news conference: "Anybody that's expecting Final Fours to be a yearly occurrence needs to start following Duke."

Since Thad Matta succeeded O'Brien in 2004, the Buckeyes have made it to the Final Four twice in the past six seasons, losing to Florida in the NCAA championship game in 2007 and to Kansas in a national semifinal last season. They are ranked No.4 tonight as they take on No.2 Duke in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Rather than view Duke as being at another level, Matta aspires to build a program like coach Mike Krzyzewski has in 33 years there.
"I hope in 25 years our program’s still at the level it is, because that’s exactly what Duke has done," Matta said before the Buckeyes left Tuesday for Durham, N.C. "They’ve stood the test of time. There have been a lot of great players roll through there. . . . They recruit at the highest level, we attempt to recruit at the highest level."'

Thad is good in my book, now more so.

Dukeface88
11-30-2012, 08:13 PM
K used it in the 2010 World Championship, I think right at the end of a very close game, against Spain or Brazil. It worked pretty well, but mostly because it caused the opponent to fritter away precious seconds trying to figure out the defense.

We used a 2-3 occasionally during the 2010 season as well, with mostly the same results.

Greg_Newton
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnLL_2DLO0&feature=g-all

freshmanjs
11-30-2012, 09:40 PM
As an aside, BluePlanet has a post-game interview with Cook that is very interesting. "Miami"

is there a link to this? can't find it on the blueplanet site? thanks.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 11:24 PM
is there a link to this? can't find it on the blueplanet site? thanks.

F-js, I saw it on a Duke app. Has coach presses and player interviews for hoops and pigskin. May be a subscription app, not sure. In any event, QC talks about missing some key free throws against Miami in his freshman year (I think) and he never forgot it. Every time he goes to the line, even now, he says "Miami" to remind himself of how that felt. Also talks about his America in general. I will link if I can, not good at it on my iStuff.

Duke76
12-01-2012, 08:58 AM
If you watch some clips of Rasheed starting to penetrate into the lane, I'm recalling one, in particular, from theright side of the circle (not the 3 circle, the one that comprises the top of the key), you will see his upper body at something around a 10 to 15% angle from the vertical, with his head perpendicular to the ground without a tinge of strain in his shoulders, neck, or face, completely relaxed, and ready to pounce like a panther (you try that and you're lucky if you get anywhere near the verticle, or, if you do, you don't look like you're straining to (I'll stop here)). You will see him dribbling the ball off to the side of his left shoulder, with the ball bouncing high but below shoulder height. You will then see that he puts more into the ball so it comes shoulder height as he steps big, visually big and also with length that convinces you that he has begun irreversibly to a "go" in that direction, but in the next moment, you will see a small reset of his right foot and the left foot/leg return through the same trajectory, with his left foot slightly, an inch or two in front of his right, and spaced such that, if Sheed were a lefty, he'd be ready to go into a jump shot. Dynamic stability through a very challenging maneuver, complete reversibility throughout. Now, Rasheed is not a lefty, he was not in one-on-one isolation, and he kept his dribble and continued probbing a bit, before he gave the ball up.

So, what have I just described, up through the part about the carriage of the head and lack of tension etc. Every part of what I have described for me is the exact mirror of Michael Jordan's championship shot against Utah, minus the shove and the shot, of course. Run the highlights, as Warner Wolff used to say.

How else does Rasheed remind me of Michael? That head carriage no matter the orientation of the rest of himself, the lightness of his head, the lengthening of his spine and head upwards even as he is moving down, every time I see Michael Jordan. Next time you watch, take a good look if Rasheed is guarding the point and is waiting for him in that wide Duke defensive stance, the clap the floor stance only Rasheed claps his hands, His center is moving down, his spine slightly forward, his head is erect, and everything, from his feet to the top of his head is moving UP. That is Michael Jordan. From that place, you are the wind. You are the eagle. You are the panther. Few athletes have that quality.

This kid reminds me of Michael Jordan. Much of Rasheed's style, how he likes to move, where he likes to move, the tempos, remind me of Michael Jordan. Most of all is everthing going up, the dynamic stability that allows him to effortlessly go where he wants and pull back if he wants, and rise up if he wants. In that defensive stance, that wide relaxed smile, the wide open eyes taking things in, rather than reaching out to them, the way he claps his hands, the other things I mentioned.

I don't think it is a stretch at all. And, oh, by the way, I only caught the last 20 minutes, but you take a look at that pull up three, the camera shot from behind and over from the left, who does that look loike to you? Who as a freshman takes that shot because it fits, not because he is "the man" or because he can outmaneuver, but because that was an opportunity he saw before it came, he was getting ready and it was natural. The kid looked from inside out and outside in like Mike to me.

Now, Rasheed, I believe is a gifted, gifted learner--he looks with soft eyes to capture everything, focus on nothing, until bits and pieces of shape and feel and sequence, and timing, etc. give him a sense of what goes into a series of actions that we encapulate in words by labeling them something like "a shot," or "a move", as if they were divisable parts, separate things. To this kid, they are not. I think Sheed looked to Michael and explored what captured his eye, because there was so much to see that worked so effortlessly. I do not believe for a second that this is one of those deals where a kid mimics his favorite stars. Nor do I think that Jordan was the only ball player who caught Sheed's eye and sent him to the laboratory. Most importantly, I do not think that Rasheed is anything other than his own player; whatever you see this young man do on the court and I expect elsewhere, comes from his extraordinary ability to use that distinctive ability of the human mind to choose. He knows how to learn different ways to use himself and has the discernment to know inside what works best for him and chose it. That, I think, is something that Michael Jordan could learn a thing or two from him.

Wish I had taped game to watch his moves more closely....but he does carry himself the same and appears to have same body type and movements....he is quick with legs..,but his arms move quickly as well on the dribble when he is making his lateral moves before he shoots...fascinating comparisons in your description and will be fun to see play out...one of the many subplots going down this season with our special team....last yr was an anomaly.