PDA

View Full Version : MBB: #2 Duke vs #4 Ohio State Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

licc85
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Well, this should be a fun one. I haven't seen them play this year yet, but I believe this is their starting lineup:

Aaron Craft (6-2)
Lenzelle Smith Jr. (6-4)
DeShaun Thomas (6-7)
Sam Thompson (6-8)
Evan Ravenel (6-8)

Key Bench Guys:

Amir Williams (6-11)
Shannon Scott (6-1)
LaQuinton Ross (6-8)

Just looking at matchups, I think they will have a tough time containing Mason, as their only real rotation player who is taller than 6-8 is Amir Williams, a sophomore who is averaging just 13.5 mins a game.

We are going to have some trouble with their big and versatile wings, DeShaun Thomas and LaQuinton Ross are both going to be difficult for us to contain with our 3 guard lineup, since they can both shoot and both are big time athletes.

The Buckeyes are shooting a ridiculous .521 from the field, including .478 from long range. We are going to have to step up our defense if we hope to contain their hot shooting. DeShaun Thomas is averaging more than 24 points a game. He needs to be the focus of our defensive effort, although I'm not quite sure who we have that can stop him. (I hope it doesn't come down to Tyler guarding him, that could be painful)

The keys to the game will be to handle their tough perimeter defense and take care of the ball while committing to Mason in the paint on offense. I believe if we consistently get Mason the ball down low, their bigs will start piling up fouls and help us get in the bonus, where we have a huge advantage in terms of free throw shooting (79% to their 68%).

Overall, I think the matchups favor us slightly. They are stronger on the wings, but we have quality bigs who can score and even with Aaron Craft, I think we out gun them on the perimeter with Cook and Sulaimon, who are both doing a fantastic job on offense and D. Throw in the Cameron Crazies and the best coach of all time, and I think our chances are pretty favorable. As long as we didn't become complacent after a tough Atlantis tournament, I think we got this. I'm picking us to win by 6.

CDu
11-28-2012, 08:34 AM
How we match up against Thomas (and to a lesser degree Ross) at SF is going to be a critical aspect of the game. Whereas Kentucky ran very few plays for Poythress, Thomas gets lots of looks. And Thomas is a much more versatile, more polished offensive player than Poythress, so he should be more able to punish undersized defenders (either by posting them up or shooting over them).

I doubt we'll see a ton of Jefferson or Murphy at SF, so that puts the pressure squarely on Sulaimon and Thornton to handle a very tough matchup.

It will also be important for Cook to handle the defensive pressure that Kraft brings. Kraft is one of the tougher players in the country defensively. Cook has handled two teams with pressure defense already, but this will be a different kind of pressure. Hopefully he's up to the challenge.

We have a HUGE advantage in the frontcourt (with the possible exception of when Thomas plays PF), as Mason and Kelly are much better than Ravanel, Thompson, and Williams.

Kraft has had an impressive start to the season offensively. He, Smith, and Thomas are all shooting over 45% from 3pt range with at least 13 attempts each. That's a bit scary.

It will help a lot if Mason and Kelly can stay out of foul trouble, and if we can hit some shots early to get our confidence going. This OSU team isn't the same team that dismantled us last year, and we have the benefit of the home court as well. We just have to keep Thomas and Kraft from dominating the game and we will stand a good chance.

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Their game plan will be simple and mostly consist of penetration and driving past our guards and going to the rim or dishing for 3pt plays.
It won't be as easy as last year and I also think that Cook will hold his own against Craft on both ends of the floor.
The do not have a answer for Mason and we will need to exploit this right from the start before jacking up a bunch of quick 3's.
This could be a very good game for Amile to be effective and a potential game changer.
It could also be the perfect game and motivational tool for Kelly to come out of his shooting slump.
Tyler will see a lot of floor time too I think but you never know.
I'm very excited about this game for the obvious reasons and should we win it will be a huge boost for our team.

Lets go Duke!

Mike Corey
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
OSU hasn't been tested yet in 2012. That will change tonight.

The Bucks have a lot of talent on that roster, but it's unclear where they stand as a team.

You all know about Craft and Thomas.

Smith is a scorer (same with Ross), but hasn't demonstrated that too much as a collegian just yet (same with Ross). He's the Bucks' third-leading scorer at 11 ppg. Craft and Thomas are second and first, at 14 and 24 ppg, respectfully.

Thompson is a tremendous athlete--Matta says he's the most athletic guy he's ever coached--and showed flashes of a nice mid-range game a year ago, in addition to highlights like this:

http://youtu.be/w53z5SfO1ig

Amir Williams and Evan Ravenel are serviceable big men, but neither has put up impressive numbers. We may see more of Amir than Ravenel due to Amir's superior length, but Ravenel--a BC transfer--is the superior player right now. This duo doesn't need to score much for OSU other than garbage points, but they do need to play defense. I think this is our primary area of advantage, as others have said.

Shannon Scott was an elite PG coming out of high school, and he and Craft will get some on-court time together, and Scott will spell Craft when/if necessary. He's put up 7 ppg thus far in 2012.

The notion out there is that Craft can't/won't score, but I don't think that's true. He's no slouch offensively, even though he's no Mike Conley or Kyrie Irving. He is a tremendous defender, but he also is very capable at managing the offense and not making mistakes.

Thomas will get his points. How everyone else does will determine the outcome of this game, IMO.

COYS
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
It will also be important for Cook to handle the defensive pressure that Kraft brings. Kraft is one of the tougher players in the country defensively. Cook has handled two teams with pressure defense already, but this will be a different kind of pressure. Hopefully he's up to the challenge.

This will be one of the most important matchups on both sides of the ball. On offense, Quinn will have the tough task of getting the ball to Mason in the post and to our other scorers while facing Kraft's excellent defensive pressure. This is no small task. On the defensive end, Quinn needs to prevent Kraft from easily getting the ball to Thomas and others in good scoring positions. As others have mentioned, Kraft is no slouch offensively. So far this season, he has been a big part of the Buckeye engine on offense. If Quinn and the rest of the team can limit Kraft's playmaking and shotmaking opportunities on the offensive end and be patient against his pressure on the defensive end, Duke has enough other weapons to win. It will be quite the challenge, though I think Quinn will be up for it.

NSDukeFan
11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I wonder if the coaching staff will concede that Thomas is going to have a big game (by not diverting extra attention to him, though trying our best to make him take tough shots) and try to limit the rest of the team? Thomas is having a great start to the season and would potentially make an all-American team if the season ended right now. I was surprised that Shannon Scott didn't get much playing time last year after how strong he appeared to be coming out of high school but it sounds like he is making an impact now. Smith seems to be a solid starter in the backcourt as well, so I don't expect Duke to have much of an advantage there. This has the makings of another exciting game against a very good team early in the year. Great scheduling Duke! This has been fun.

gumbomoop
11-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Kraft has had an impressive start to the season offensively. He, Smith, and Thomas are all shooting over 45% from 3pt range with at least 13 attempts each. That's a bit scary.

We just have to keep Thomas and Kraft from dominating the game and we will stand a good chance.

Despite my loyalty to Duke guys, the player I have most enjoyed watching the past 2 seasons is Aaron Craft. I agree with what CDu says here, adding only a friendly amendment that Craft might be the toughest defender. Even if not literally true, it's close enough that Quinn will indeed face an entirely different level of intense pressure. Craft's on-ball footwork-positioning is striking. He's excellent at avoiding/getting through high screens, often punishing the screener with incidental contact [his football background is probably relevant] rather than being punished. He has smart hands. Physically very strong, he seems to be able [allowed?] to make substantial contact with the opponent without drawing many fouls. He's also dangerous in doubling down to cause hand-havoc [to Mason or Ryan], yet able to maintain contact with his own man.

With the departure of several fine offensive threats from tOSU over the past 2 seasons, Craft now needs to be an O-threat, and he is. But it's his smarts, his Scheyer-court sense, and his brilliant D that most impresses me.

K once famously advised something close to this: "Just watch Shane. For a few possessions, don't pay attention to anything else. Just watch Shane."

Just watch Craft.

scottdude8
11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
The key to this game will be fatigue. I covered last year's game for The Chronicle, and it was the only time I ever heard K make an actual excuse—he couldn't stop emphasizing how exhausted the team was following Maui. I would think that not having to deal with jet-lag this year, as well as being energized by the Crazies, would help there.

Other than that, if we can hold Thomas to around 20 points as opposed to letting him go off for 25-30, that would be a big boost.

jimrowe0
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I wonder if the coaching staff will concede that Thomas is going to have a big game (by not diverting extra attention to him, though trying our best to make him take tough shots) and try to limit the rest of the team? Thomas is having a great start to the season and would potentially make an all-American team if the season ended right now.

I believe that the coaching staff will concede a good porition of scoring from Thomas and try to limit everyone else. If Quinn/Tyler can bottle up Craft then we should be just fine. Look for Mason and Ryan to have big nights.

loran16
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I believe that the coaching staff will concede a good porition of scoring from Thomas and try to limit everyone else. If Quinn/Tyler can bottle up Craft then we should be just fine. Look for Mason and Ryan to have big nights.

Yeah I agree with this: We have no one that can stop Thomas (not embarrassing - Thomas is likely the player of the year) , and they have no one that can stop Mason. We need to not repeat what we did against Louisville land later against VCU - don't stop pounding the ball to Mason.

Cook will have his hands full with Craft and it'll be his toughest challenge yet, but Thomas is the big threat.

Pomeroy predicts that this'll be a game where it's all about the two offenses (understandably).

jcastranio
11-28-2012, 11:41 AM
... is that Sullinger had a big impact on their offense. Even if he didn't have the ball, his presence impacted our defense. Thomas had a big game and we were not even looking at him. Our shooting went south, we got rattled, they got even more confident and ... well, you know the rest.

We have more balance this year - and more confidence. Our defense is better. They are a solid team, but not the same without Sullinger. I wonder if Ryan starts off on Thomas.

I'm not as worried about their good 3 point shooting - our defense tends to "guard" against the open 3 pointer.

Close game in the first half, OSU with an early lead.

Duke opens up a 5-6 point lead midway through the second. We win big if the 3 point % is north of 35% and FT % is north of 75%. If not, we win in a scrappy battle, by 4-7 points.

tommy
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
For a fairly extensive preview of tonight's game, see this (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/11/duke-vs-ohio-state-acc-big-10-challenge-preview/) piece, on Watzone's site, written by, well . . . me! Hope you enjoy it and find it informative.

elvis14
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
For a fairly extensive preview of tonight's game, see this (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/11/duke-vs-ohio-state-acc-big-10-challenge-preview/) piece, on Watzone's site, written by, well . . . me! Hope you enjoy it and find it informative.

Thanks for the link, Tom. I liked the way you started the article comparing the path of last years team to the path of this years team. I'm hoping the paths diverge starting about 9:30 tonight.

This is going to be a tough game. I favor us at home but it's hard to shake a team like OSU that can play defense. Thomas is THE type of player that scares me with this Duke team (and the reason we want so badly for Alex Murphy to step up). I'd love for Ryan and Mason to use their size and score a bunch of points in the paint tonight.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
The key to this game will be fatigue. I covered last year's game for The Chronicle, and it was the only time I ever heard K make an actual excuse—he couldn't stop emphasizing how exhausted the team was following Maui. I would think that not having to deal with jet-lag this year, as well as being energized by the Crazies, would help there.

Other than that, if we can hold Thomas to around 20 points as opposed to letting him go off for 25-30, that would be a big boost.

Yeah huge difference with this, which is nice. The time difference between Maui and Durham is what, 6 hours? The Bahamas i believe is the same time zone as Durham. Add in the fact that we aren't travelling to Columbus 48 hours later, I think the fatigue factor should be ok :)

CDu
11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I agree with what CDu says here, adding only a friendly amendment that Craft might be the toughest defender. Even if not literally true, it's close enough that Quinn will indeed face an entirely different level of intense pressure.

No clear disagreement here. I haven't seen enough of everyone to say for sure, but I haven't seen anyone that I'd say is a tougher defender than Craft. I do think he gets away with some excessive physicality, but because he gets away with it you have to consider it a positive aspect of his game.

He's such a constant defensive presence and one the likes of which Cook has probably never faced. So much of what has been good offensively has been a result of what Cook has generated for us, and Craft will make that difficult. So either Cook will have to play REALLY well or we may be forced to attack OSU differently than we've attacked other teams so far.

-bdbd
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Heading into the OSU game here's a nice write-up on why Duke has surprised everyone thus far, as written by an Assistant Coach from one of our previous opponents (apparently from Atlantis tournament):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/opposing-coach-why-duke-exceeded-expectations-thus-far-153013117--ncaab.html

In a nutshell, he says Plumlee is a load, and you have to either concede him a bunch of points, or double-down on him, and pla 3-vs-4 on the perimeter. He says he'd take MP2 over Indiana's Zeller right now (!!). He also says that Cook is significantly better than last year, and RS has added a slashing and perimeter D element. The weakness? He says Duke lacks depth.

We will see. But this is generally pretty complimentary...

CDu
11-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Heading into the OSU game here's a nice write-up on why Duke has surprised everyone thus far, as written by an Assistant Coach from one of our previous opponents (apparently from Atlantis tournament):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/opposing-coach-why-duke-exceeded-expectations-thus-far-153013117--ncaab.html

In a nutshell, he says Plumlee is a load, and you have to either concede him a bunch of points, or double-down on him, and pla 3-vs-4 on the perimeter. He says he'd take MP2 over Indiana's Zeller right now (!!). He also says that Cook is significantly better than last year, and RS has added a slashing and perimeter D element. The weakness? He says Duke lacks depth.

We will see. But this is generally pretty complimentary...

Yeah, I think this was a really well-thought-out piece by Assistant Coach X. It really hit on the keys so far: Plumlee, Cook, Sulaimon, short bench. He could have said more about Curry's craftiness and effectiveness or Kelly's defense, but I think the improvement by Plumlee and Cook and the emergence of Sulaimon are what has driven our surprising (to the rest of the world) start.

ArtVandelay
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the preview; nice work. The similarities to last year are indeed pretty uncanny. I will say, though, that most people seem to think of the OSU game last year as the first indication of a flawed team that couldn't hang with the big boys. That may be somewhat true, but what is often overlooked is that OSU also played what I assume was one of their best games of the season. They absolutely could not miss in that game. Obviously we weren't winning that game either way, but I think we might not have gotten so defeated and kept it more competitive if the Buckeyes had missed a few shots.

Anyway, the big difference from last year's team is the presence of Cook, which will hopefully allow us to deal with OSU's pressure a bit better, the improvement of Plumlee as a go-to scorer, and what initially appears to be an improved team defense, which hopefully will be enough to avoid a repeat from last year.

My prediction is that we'll be feeling a bit less rosy about our offense tomorrow after facing a tough OSU defensive team. However, it does sound like they have some talented pieces, just not enough cohesiveness and experience to really put it all together on the offensive end. At the end of the day, Jared Sullinger ain't coming through that door, and I don't get the sense they have the horses on offense to score with us. We shall see.

DukeBlueHeart4
11-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Is there anywhere online to watch this game? I thought it would be on ESPN3 but it's blacked out.

timmy c
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
A few things I’ll be watching for tonight:

Can Duke get to the free throw line?
They have been the aggressor so far this season. Averaging over 24 attempts per game – making 80% is a huge difference maker.

Can Duke defend the 3-pointer?
OSU is shooting lights out from behind the arc – 47%!!!

Who wins the matchup battles?
Does OSU have answer to Mason? Does Duke have an answer to Thomas?

Point Guard battle:
Quinn has shown marked improvement. He’ll get another great test tonight against Craft.

rifraf
11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
www.firstrowsports.eu typically has stuff.

roywhite
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Murphy Plays 3 Minutes

Duke Beats Ohio State

oldnavy
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I thought VCU brought some good pressure, but Mason and our bigs helped out a lot with the press. I believe Cook will be ok with the ball, but I do expect to see some hard ball screens, pick and rolls, etc...

Billy Dat
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice, RoyWhite..how about

DBR Board Headline:
"Murphy DNP - Coaches Decision - Seen Having Uncomfortably Long Conversation with Ohio State Assistant Greg Paulus"

Subhead:
"Murphy Seen Carrying Bag of Clothing from Apartment - Just Laundry or Suitcase?"

Post Script:
Duke Extends Non Conference Win Streak to 97

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Thank you this was a nice write up analyzes.

robed deity
11-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the preview; nice work. The similarities to last year are indeed pretty uncanny. I will say, though, that most people seem to think of the OSU game last year as the first indication of a flawed team that couldn't hang with the big boys. That may be somewhat true, but what is often overlooked is that OSU also played what I assume was one of their best games of the season. They absolutely could not miss in that game. Obviously we weren't winning that game either way, but I think we might not have gotten so defeated and kept it more competitive if the Buckeyes had missed a few shots.

Anyway, the big difference from last year's team is the presence of Cook, which will hopefully allow us to deal with OSU's pressure a bit better, the improvement of Plumlee as a go-to scorer, and what initially appears to be an improved team defense, which hopefully will be enough to avoid a repeat from last year.

My prediction is that we'll be feeling a bit less rosy about our offense tomorrow after facing a tough OSU defensive team. However, it does sound like they have some talented pieces, just not enough cohesiveness and experience to really put it all together on the offensive end. At the end of the day, Jared Sullinger ain't coming through that door, and I don't get the sense they have the horses on offense to score with us. We shall see.

I know OSU usually has stellar defensive teams, and Craft is an awesome defender, but l'm not sold on this year's team being great on that end. Just from looking at their games so far, they gave up about a point per possession to Rhode Island (KenPom#236) and over a point per possession to Washington (#83). Their good defensive rating (#13) might be partially due to preseason rank and their rout of lowly UMKC (#313), which they held to 45 points. So far this year, the defense has just been ok efficiency wise. I know efficiency stats mean little at this time of year, but this is evidence they might not be locking teams up quite as well as last year, for ex.

I'm confident Duke will be able to score, but am anxious to see if the defense can hold up against a good offensive team. It looked good in the Bahamas, so I'm optimistic. I'm trying not to be too confident, but if Cook can hold his own against Craft and Mason stay out of foul trouble, I see Duke winning, perhaps comfortably.

Newton_14
11-28-2012, 07:23 PM

A very good point. I remember that well from last year. Two teams from Maui got creamed in road games in the Big 10/ACC Challenge last year (Duke at OSU/Mich at UVA). Same thing with UNC at IU last night. Coincidence? or Pattern?

This year with Duke is different for two reasons. 1. The B4A tourney was in the Eastern Time Zone, 2. Duke is at home. Fatigue could still be a factor, especially for Seth due to his leg injury, and Mason, who played 35+ mpg in 3 consecutive days. So, something to watch.

Like Gumbomoop, I am a huge fan of Craft and was so looking forward to seeing him play in person, but a nasty stomach flu decided to hit my family this week and I am still on the couch. :mad: Which sucks.

The Craft/Cook match up will go a long way in deciding this game. We need Quinn to have a big game tonight and turn the table so to speak, around on Craft keeping constant pressure on him. We also need to punish OSU inside with Mason in the post, and Ryan with the midrange shots, combined with drives to the basket.

Defensively, pressure the ball and wings hard, making it difficult for OSU to get into their sets. I suspect we will rotate bodies on Thomas with Rasheed, Tyler, and a little bit of Amile. It will be interesting to see what defensive strategy K employs. Letting Thomas get his and shut everyone else down, or trying to shut Thomas down with the belief the others can't beat you.

Going to be a big time game! Let's hope our guys are ready to rock.

riverside6
11-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Ohio State here, starters are posted for both teams

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14467

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 09:32 PM
The Crazies must be extra loud tonight... we don't want old Brent to fall asleep.

pamtar
11-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Musberger and Bilas may be the best announcing duo ESPN has ever put together.

moonpie23
11-28-2012, 09:34 PM
happily muting jay bilas and co......

go duke!!!

pamtar
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
happily muting jay bilas and co......

go duke!!!

I'd be muting dick v, but I can stomach these two.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Obviously 2 match ups to watch will be who covers Thomas and are they able to slow him down. And how will Cook handle Craft. Craft is good on offense but usually it is his defense that takes the other PG out of it.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Brent with a gangnam style reference... maybe he's not as old and senile as I originally thought

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Karl Hess. Is it worth watching anymore?

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Loving the early help D!

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Solid start so far. Shouldn't have given up that original basket. Sheed has to learn to box out. Luckily, Mason didn't pick up his first but Mason has been as good as advertised and Ryan getting involved.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Also loving the turnaround bank shot by Mason!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
tighten up d

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Watching tonight on ESPN looks so different after watching the weird camera placement/angles during the B4A games

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Only half liking Ryan's offensive assertiveness. He needs to be smarter with the ball. Quinn was wide open!

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Musberger and Bilas may be the best announcing duo ESPN has ever put together.

they actually talk about the game at hand. that's nice

What's not nice is missing wide open layups and then getting burned on a 3ptr by going under the screen.

Ben1029
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Did they just refer to Kelly as 'one of the best players in the country'? I like Kelly but I don't think so.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Sulaimon and a lot of guys need to just take it up strong. A missed layup is the worst play in basketball. He's young, and once he gets more Nolan in him (Nolan would have dunked towards the end when he was open in the lane), he will be scoring around 16 per game. He already scores around 12 while missing some of these easy ones.

moonpie23
not a bad start........I'm worried about karl hess

pamtar
Watching tonight on ESPN looks so different after watching the weird camera placement/angles during the B4A games

I really like the forced closeness of the cameras at the B4A. Felt like watching a game from the railing at Cameron. It would probably be impossible to pull off in most arenas though...

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:45 PM

What's not nice is missing wide open layups and then getting burned on a 3ptr by going under the screen.

Yeah, feels like Duke has dominated but the small things biting them. I like Kelly using his dribbling but he of all people needs to know about the charge.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Soft foul for Kelly's 2nd. But now we'll get to see what Amile can do from a defensive standpoint.

OSU getting to all the loose balls. This seemed like a classic let down game but I thought first real home game would have these guys fired up. OSU looks like they are going to crash the offensive glass so Duke needs to get out in transition.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Soft foul for Kelly's 2nd. But now we'll get to see what Amile can do from a defensive standpoint.

OSU getting to all the loose balls. This seemed like a classic let down game but I thought first real home game would have these guys fired up. OSU looks like they are going to crash the offensive glass so Duke needs to get out in transition.

A lot of those loose balls are on horrible shots that don't hit any rim. Those are tough to get rebounds on.

ncexnyc
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM

Going under screens happened several times last weekend.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
"Ohio State plays good defense without fouling"

More like "without being called for fouls"

Did you see how incredulous Thomas was for actually getting called for a blocking foul?

pamtar
Osu playing great d. Also, where's Seth?

DukieInBrasil
tearing us apart. Craft is dominating Cook. OSU is working much harder than Duke. Kelly out really hurts us.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I really like the forced closeness of the cameras at the B4A. Felt like watching a game from the railing at Cameron. It would probably be impossible to pull off in most arenas though...

Yeah, I agree. It was an interesting way to watch a game. If only the lighting was a little better but under those circumstances, they did a pretty good job.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Sheed showing he is a freshmen at times. Unit on the floor is too devoid of offense esp. without Mason touching the ball.

That was a pretty easy block call on Thomas. You can't slide under an offensive guy who is receiving the ball.

moonpie23
11-28-2012, 09:55 PM
i reallllllly don't like greg paulus in that other team's huddle.... :(

dchen09
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Is it just me or does Cook never actually use the screen. He always runs so far off the screen that the trailing defender never actually touches the screener. Is this on purpose to get a more open driving lane?

BlueDevilBrowns
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
tearing us apart. Craft is dominating Cook. OSU is working much harder than Duke. Kelly out really hurts us.

Craft on defense and Thomas on offense for OSU are controlling the game so far.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
gotta clean up the glass

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Sulaimon has played really poorly so far. Making lots of mistakes that really hurt in a tight game like this.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Gotta start getting tougher on the boards or we're going to see another blowout loss.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Amir Williams 18% FT? Should have came to Duke. We teach FT shooting.

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Is it just me or does Cook never actually use the screen. He always runs so far off the screen that the trailing defender never actually touches the screener. Is this on purpose to get a more open driving lane?

i noticed this too.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Gotta start getting tougher on the boards or we're going to see another blowout loss.

Agreed. Bilas sort of takes the words right out of my mouth but even when they don't get an offensive board, they almost get one. And when they get an offensive board, it is like our 2010 offense, they just kick it out and find wide open guys.

This game is going to be won in the trenches. Everyone is going to have to board.

FerryFor50
They missed a Craft travel. And a foul on Jefferson. But overall, OSU is swarming the offensive glass and it's hurting us.

DukieInBrasil
we are getting KILLED on the glass. That last OSU possession was just pathetic. OSU is just totally outworking us. And it seems like we've gotten a lot of rebounds after bouncing out of their hands.

moonpie23
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
curry on the milk carton....

BlueDevilBrowns
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
OSU is stronger with the ball right now and a step quicker to loose balls.

Duke has to penetrate OSU's D instead of passing around the 3 point line. Go at OSU and get them in foul trouble, collapse the defense and get easy baskets for MP2 and Kelly.

We're just playing too passive right now.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Stats that matter

OSU almost has twice as many shots 23-12.

OSU has as many offensive rebounds as Duke does rebounds. 7

OSU has double the amount of rebounds at 14.

Duke is lucky to be in this game.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
You can tell OSU is used to getting away with holding and grabbing because when they get called for it, they can't believe it.

El_Diablo
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Cook is getting exposed.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
As Jay said, Cook looks very tentative. Almost trying to get others involved by passing instead of driving.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Cook is getting exposed.

Craft exposes a lot of players.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Seriously, OSU argues EVERY foul call. Even obvious ones...

Will we see a famous Karl Hess "T" tonight?

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Seriously, OSU argues EVERY foul call. Even obvious ones...

Every coach has their own way of getting their players ready for the NBA. K preaches defense. I guess we know what Thad preaches.

moonpie23
11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
man, the ohio state players are working the refs and it sure SEEMS that the refs are lending a benevolent ear......... i don't like this..

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
man, the ohio state players are working the refs and it sure SEEMS that the refs are lending a benevolent ear......... i don't like this..

Yea. I don't like this smiling garbage from the refs as the players complain.

At some point, the refs need to say "hey, I'm the ref."

uh_no
11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Yea. I don't like this smiling garbage from the refs as the players complain.

At some point, the refs need to say "hey, I'm the ref."

duke players shmooze with the refs, K schmoozes with the refs....it happens...everyone does it.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Craft has taken our whole offense out of its rhythm. Expect to see the offense run through others not named Cook. Like to see Curry run on the ball a bit and let Craft run around covering Cook.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 10:12 PM
OSU is putting on a defensive clinic. Duke can't start trying to do too much, though. I would like to see Mason and Ryan getting out near the 3 pt line and setting a few screens though. Right now, there doesn't seem to be too much offensive movement. Cook is being hung out to dry on a lot of these possessions.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
duke players shmooze with the refs, K schmoozes with the refs....it happens...everyone does it.

Schmoozing is different than actively complaining after a call and having the ref smile during the exchange.

chaosmage
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Check behind the Duke bench!

dchen09
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the guards are trying to set up the bigs and just standing around doing it. They aren't moving around without the ball. Even with they ball, the only thing they were trying to do is throw it to Plumlee. Just 1v1s to try to get pass their man. When that doesn't work, they pick up their dribble and get caught. Really slows down the game and doesn't let them get into rhythm.

uh_no
11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Schmoozing is different than actively complaining after a call and having the ref smile during the exchange.

judging by how far the foul/free throw disparity is skewed to duke right now, I don't think we have a right to be complaining about the refs.

enick66
Check behind the Duke bench!

We need him to put on a jersey at halftime. Need some serious offense.

sporthenry

The ref smiling is usually him laughing at the complaint b/c it was an obvious call. I don't mind the players talking to the refs b/c all great Duke players have done it. But Thomas probably deserved a T earlier but refs don't want to make a call like that. As long as they are consistent.

Offense needs to get going with Craft out.

DukieInBrasil
I can't believe how poor Duke has been with the ball. I know they play good defense, but some of the passes have just been terrible, players running into each other causing turns, doing stuff to just give the ball to OSU. Fortunately for us, they are calling fouls on OSU, sometimes.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:16 PM
I think the guards are trying to set up the bigs and just standing around doing it. They aren't moving around without the ball. Even with they ball, the only thing they were trying to do is throw it to Plumlee. Just 1v1s to try to get pass their man. When that doesn't work, they pick up their dribble and get caught. Really slows down the game and doesn't let them get into rhythm.

Part of the issue is that Duke is getting very little offense in transition due to the poor defensive rebounding. It's much easier to get into an offense on the break rather than after yet another 2nd chance basket.

Lunchab1es
Stats that matter

OSU almost has twice as many shots 23-12.

OSU has as many offensive rebounds as Duke does rebounds. 7

OSU has double the amount of rebounds at 14.

Duke is lucky to be in this game.

We look totally outclassed at the moment. Free throws are keeping us in it but we need to get some rebounds and start getting some buckets.

Billy Dat
We are playing tentative and soft. We have zero aggression on offense. We need to attack!

BlueDevilBrowns
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Officiating is the least of Duke's troubles. Their body language is terrible right now. They look tired and slow. OSU's physically dominating this game.

Also, if we run the same offensive set again, I'm going to scream!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
judging by how far the foul/free throw disparity is skewed to duke right now, I don't think we have a right to be complaining about the refs.

I'm not. I'm complaining about OSU's reaction of disbelief after every call.

kingboozer
11-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Live and die by the 3, so far we're dieing...

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Officiating is the least of Duke's troubles. Their body language is terrible right now. They look tired and slow. OSU's physically dominating this game.

Also, if we run the same offensive set again, I'm going to scream!

Officiating isn't a concern at all. They've been fine.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I'd rather have Sheed in then TT. Our defense is alright at the moment and we need some instant offense. Cook and Sheed have to attack and get to the rim for any chance.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Lets get on the boards. This is getting ridiculous. When we give them a recycle on every possession, they are going to continue to get good looks that anyone could hit. We're out of sync on offense, too. We've got to do something going and get back into it.

I really hope we find out what it is that makes this team so tough for us. I know they have a lot of fight and good defense, but that shouldn't be this big a problem... I mean, we have these things, too.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Mason is also having a pretty lackluster effort on defense. Several times now he has been out rebounded while he doesn't jump. Also gave up several uncontested lay ups. He has the athleticism, he has to protect our rim.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Just keep fighting and play tough defense.

HateCarolina
11-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Quinn cook finally puts back some garbage. About time since he's been playing too tentatively!!

uh_no
16 more shots than us....

FerryFor50
I'm just happy Duke is still in this game despite the awful first half.

dchen09
11-28-2012, 10:23 PM
What is up with our tenativeness. Both defensively and offensively! Finally Cook gives some energy!

kingboozer
The team is exhausted, we can't get into any kind of offensive rhythm. Let's see what Murphy can do!

sporthenry
Cook starting to understand what it means to be a Duke PG. Won't be too long til he is floor slapping.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Quinn is showing some heart. Let's see if it rubs off on the rest of the team!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
A double T? Really???

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Well... that was frustrating. I've gotta give a lot of credit to Osu though. That was some tremendous defense.

dchen09
11-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Does Curry seem a bit gimpy to anyone? I know he's always had this I'm an old man gait but it seems really bad today. If thats true, put in Sulaimon and tell him to drive it hard into the paint.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:27 PM
The team is exhausted, we can't get into any kind of offensive rhythm. Let's see what Murphy can do!

This game really was a trap game. 3 games in 3 days against tough competition including Louisville and VCU who play the full court defense. The only thing keeping us in this game is being at Cameron.

Duke will be looking forward to its winter break. They are tired.

HateCarolina
11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
OSU has owned us on the boards and we just seem to be FLAT. I'm hoping K gets in their backside in the locker room and brings out the fire in us. Seems like Bruce Pearl agrees as I type this post.

CLW
The team is GASSED.

We have been poor on the defensive boards all season and we are getting KILLED on the boards tonight.

Dukeface88
Our defense has actually been pretty good, apart from rebounding. I have no idea what we're even trying to do on offense though.

freshmanjs
This game really was a trap game. 3 games in 3 days against tough competition including Louisville and VCU who play the full court defense. The only thing keeping us in this game is being at Cameron.

Duke will be looking forward to its winter break. They are tired.

trap game really? a game against #4 in the country cannot possibly be a trap game unless you are using the cliche definition that a trap game is any game you might lose (which would be all games).

Son of Mojo
Lethargic body language and cannot get a rhythm going with shots or even passing to each other. Fortunate to be down only 8 (partly due to OSU having some players taking a siesta until halftime on the bench). I'm thinking there's going to be some paint peeling off the locker room walls after Coach has a "talk." Need to get in gear on both sides of the court.

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Good god what the heck was this.
What happened they came out great and then fell to pieces.
I hope they wake up in the second half.
It's also a miracle that we are still in it and not blown out.

Billy Dat
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM

I agree this is how they look, but shouldn't they have been more exhausted in the final at Atlantis? These kids are 18-22, how can they be so tired? They are sleepwalking through this one, though. Incredible that OSU is still up 8 with Thomas and Craft sitting for huge chunks of the half. We had many good looks from 3 but couldn't hit anything. We let them abuse us on the offensive glass. Let's hope we put up a fight to at least try and make OSU earn breaking a 97 non con home winning streak.

azzefkram
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
You can't continue to put poor rebounder out there and be shocked when you are destroyed on the boards. Mason is the only rebounder out there.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Glad to see Quinn get some fire in his belly.

Now he, Rasheed, and Curry need to ATTACK the basket. No more horizontal passes, dribbling to the baseline and getting trapped. Go North to South young men!

Defensively, box out, box out, box out. Be strong with the ball!

OSU is imposing their will on us right now. Let's put it back on them.

If we cut the lead to 4 or less at the 16 minute mark, we'll be in good shape.

chaosmage
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
We are gassed, at home, against the #4 team in the country. We made 2 field goals in 14 minutes.

We. Are. Only. Down. 8.

Still 2 halves, and yes, I'll join Ozzie in optimism! :-)

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
trap game really? a game against #4 in the country cannot possibly be a trap game unless you are using the cliche definition that a trap game is any game you might lose (which would be all games).

Well I think there are two types of trap games. Games before big games like the game before a UNC match up especially when it has things on the line like deciding the ACC. But then I also think trap games are games after you've just beaten a tough opponent (or in this case 3) and have to get back up for a game. Yes, OSU is the #4 team in the country, but I think this team got a bit cocky after beating Louisville and all the talk about Duke being #1, etc. A lot of people seemed to think Duke would win this one going away but hopefully this is a wake up call.

moonpie23
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
team seems gassed......someone's got to provide a spark....give THEM something they can't handle......

need a thunder-dunk or a couple threes in a row......

COME ON GUYS !!!!!!!

i'm sure coach k had some soothing words for them.......

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I agree this is how they look, but shouldn't they have been more exhausted in the final at Atlantis? These kids are 18-22, how can they be so tired? They are sleepwalking through this one, though. Incredible that OSU is still up 8 with Thomas and Craft sitting for huge chunks of the half. We had many good looks from 3 but couldn't hit anything. We let them abuse us on the offensive glass. Let's hope we put up a fight to at least try and make OSU earn breaking a 97 non con home winning streak.

This is the first time this season that this team has faced actual adversity and they're handling it horribly.

Hopefully they wake up and remember that they beat some good teams and that OSU is beatable.

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Review of the 1st half:
Curry has completely disappeared and made some questionable choices: 2 pts
Sulaimon was completely ineffective: 0 pts.
Cook is working hard but has little to show for it: 2pts

Kelly and Plumlee have been the only players to have any sort of positive effect on the game for Duke.
We've forced them to miss their first shots at a high rate, but they are getting so many Oboards that it is cancelling it out. They are also winning the War of Turnovers.

So, if Duke can eliminate the turns and hold them to a standstill on the Oboards, we can get back in this game.

mapei
11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
First thought: Ohio State is really good. Most of our bad play has been forced, I think. And OSU's passing reminds me of some great Duke teams of yore.

Second thought: I've kind of gotten resigned over the years to being outrebounded, but we've compensated with really good outside shooting, defensive steals and so forth. But two out of the last three games we have been outrebounded by A LOT. I've been more pleased than not by the quality of play this year, especially Mason and Cook, but we do seem to have a glaring weakness that good, physical and athletic teams will exploit..

sporthenry
I think the first possession will be very telling. I believe OSU has the possession so Duke is going to need a stop and then I suspect we'll see a play run for Seth with Mason as a secondary option to get an open 3 to get the crowd going.

cbnaylor
Duke needs to make an adjustment on the offensive end by not having 4 guys surround the 3 point line. This is what got us in trouble against Lehigh. Bring more guys down low so Ohio State can't form a wall up top.

kingboozer
Oh I'm staying positive, but we have to get a fire lit under us in the 2nd half. The guards need to get into this game offensively, if the 3 isn't coming, let's drive that ball into the paint and get some points or draw the foul.

jipops
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
We look badly unprepared. The offense has no movement whatsoever. And OSU's defense is by far the best we have faced.

dukeofcalabash
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Review of the 1st half:
Curry has completely disappeared and made some questionable choices: 2 pts
Sulaimon was completely ineffective: 0 pts.
Cook is working hard but has little to show for it: 2pts

Kelly and Plumlee have been the only players to have any sort of positive effect on the game for Duke.
We've forced them to miss their first shots at a high rate, but they are getting so many Oboards that it is cancelling it out. They are also winning the War of Turnovers.

So, if Duke can eliminate the turns and hold them to a standstill on the Oboards, we can get back in this game.

I'm looking for the seniors (especially Curry) to bring them out of this tonight.

Billy Dat
11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
This is the first time this season that this team has faced actual adversity and they're handling it horribly.

Hopefully they wake up and remember that they beat some good teams and that OSU is beatable.

I hear you....many is the time when a tale of two halves tipped to our favor in the second stanza...let's hope this is one of those nights. The non con win streak is special, let's at least fight like animals to try and keep it alive.

arnie
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
You can't continue to put poor rebounder out there and be shocked when you are destroyed on the boards. Mason is the only rebounder out there.

If ever a game to see amile or murph this is it. Hairston can't really play against this level of competition and we need fresher bodies out there. Hope to see se different combinations 2nd half

uh_no
We look badly unprepared. The offense has no movement whatsoever. And OSU's defense is by far the best we have faced.

well...they might be highly effective against us, but UL is considered to have the best defense in the land.

BlueDevilBrowns
Well I think there are two types of trap games. Games before big games like the game before a UNC match up especially when it has things on the line like deciding the ACC. But then I also think trap games are games after you've just beaten a tough opponent (or in this case 3) and have to get back up for a game. Yes, OSU is the #4 team in the country, but I think this team got a bit cocky after beating Louisville and all the talk about Duke being #1, etc. A lot of people seemed to think Duke would win this one going away but hopefully this is a wake up call.

I think there is some truth to that statement, but also this game reminds me of some UNC home games of the past where we come out high-energy early but then deflate after the first 4 minutes and sleep-walk the rest of the way. The starters are probably running on fumes so I think for Duke to win, someone from the bench will have to step up (amile, TT, Hairston).

If Kelly gets his 3rd early, I'd like to see Amile come in and push the tempo offensively. It may hurt some on the boards, but it's not like we were rebounding anyways. Keeping this game "half-court" is playing right into their hands.

pfrduke
11-28-2012, 10:39 PM

This is a silly thing to say. Was it not adversity when Louisville rallied from 11 down to take a lead late in the second half? We reacted pretty well to that.

Also, I think we've showed a healthy amount of fight (particularly Quinn). Biggest issue is that we've struggled to get into an offensive rhythm and we're not getting on the defensive glass.

jipops
11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
well...they might be highly effective against us, but UL is considered to have the best defense in the land.

Their D is probably better with their big guy.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
We could use another Plumlee right about now... anyone to help on the boards.

azzefkram
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
First thought: Ohio State is really good. Most of our bad play has been forced, I think. And OSU's passing reminds me of some great Duke teams of yore.

Second thought: I've kind of gotten resigned over the years to being outrebounded, but we've compensated with really good outside shooting, defensive steals and so forth. But two out of the last three games we have been outrebounded by A LOT. I've been more pleased than not by the quality of play this year, especially Mason and Cook, but we do seem to have a glaring weakness that good, physical and athletic teams will exploit..

Play guys who can rebound. Rebounding is a part of defence. When you give up 8 o rebounds in a half, maybe playing 3 small guards isn't the best choice.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM

I want to say that too but I just can't believe that it is true. K and his staff are too smart to be this unprepared for a good team. Also, we played this team last year.

I just think OSU is playing better than us so far. I expect a few different offensive looks and some more high ball screens to help alleviate some of the pressure on our guards. I also have a strong feeling that K is letting rasheed, curry, and cook know that they must attack the basket.

Dribbling around on the perimeter is exactly what OSU wants. Make them work.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
This is a silly thing to say. Was it not adversity when Louisville rallied from 11 down to take a lead late in the second half? We reacted pretty well to that.

Also, I think we've showed a healthy amount of fight (particularly Quinn). Biggest issue is that we've struggled to get into an offensive rhythm and we're not getting on the defensive glass.

I don't think it's silly. Having Louisville come back for a slim lead is different than being hounded an entire half, have nothing working on offense and seeing one of your biggest deficits of the year.

Yelling and being pumped is fine, but it doesn't always translate into good play. Sometimes it turns into worse decisions.

The 2nd half will be telling.

chaosmage
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Smith just got that foul - Read his lips "What'd I do??"

You grabbed him imbecile.

J4Kop99
I know this was posted before but why is it that Quinn refuses to attack a p n r situation? He needs to go hard around those screens. Instead, he fades off of them.

kingboozer
Can we hit a basket? Please? EDIT: SPEAK OF THE DEVIL

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Transition points off rebounds!

Maybe that dunk will wake the team up!

chaosmage
said the "guards were on a milk carton!!"

AND THERE IT IS!! COOK TO MASON!!!

sporthenry
Wow.

That could be a turning point. Should have been a turnover. Top play on ESPN.

J4Kop99
oh wow! What a catch and dunk by Mason!! Risky pass but Mason bailed Quinn out.

Furniture
11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gthoma2a

This is all relative to the team they are facing. Against us, OSU has a better defense based on what we do on offense. They make us a jump shooting team for most of the game. We are recovering now, but that is why they are so tough, but may not be the best defense in the land.

J4Kop99
Dicky V would be talking about his good friend, "Uncle MO" after a play like that

FerryFor50
While I cringe when Mason takes jumpers, if he could develop a jumper like Shelden Williams had, that would open things up for him (and Duke) quite a bit on offense.

dchen09
Plumlee has been sealed off the last 2 possessions. Not only that but he's also being pushed deep under the basket. Really needs to fight for position.

Good news is our guards are actually doing something.

pfrduke
That was Hurley-to-Hill-esque.

DownEastDevil
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
team seems gassed......someone's got to provide a spark....give THEM something they can't handle......

need a thunder-dunk or a couple threes in a row......

COME ON GUYS !!!!!!!

i'm sure coach k had some soothing words for them.......

There it is! Time to roll boys!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
That was Hurley-to-Hill-esque.

I was thinking the same thing... beautiful basket.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Plumlee has been sealed off the last 2 possessions. Not only that but he's also being pushed deep under the basket. Really needs to fight for position.

Good news is our guards are actually doing something.

Yeah, but being sealed off can also help the offensive guy if they can reverse the ball or he can spin and seal his guy on the baseline.

-bdbd
Do we believe the announcers saying Duke may be a bit fatigued following Atlantis's 3 games in 3 days? I know fatigue was an issue LAST year at OSU as we were just coming back from Hawaii...:confused: Seems like we had enough interval this time.

pfrduke
I don't think it's silly. Having Louisville come back for a slim lead is different than being hounded an entire half, have nothing working on offense and seeing one of your biggest deficits of the year.

Yelling and being pumped is fine, but it doesn't always translate into good play. Sometimes it turns into worse decisions.

The 2nd half will be telling.

We may not have faced adversity like this. But we've certainly faced adversity. Nothing yet in this game has suggested to me that this team will fold whenever adversity presents itself.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:51 PM
We may not have faced adversity like this. But we've certainly faced adversity. Nothing yet in this game has suggested to me that this team will fold whenever adversity presents itself.

I never said they'd fold whenever adversity comes. I just said they handled it terribly in the first. But the 2nd half has been different so far...

sporthenry
I think we know why Mason came back. Cook.

J4Kop99
big 3, Rasheed. Now d up boys!

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Curry has been just completely out of this game. Not effective on D, and he's missed every shot he's taken.
Nice little run here.

dchen09
11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
What?!? Push off with the arm!?!? How was that a foul on kelly!!

J4Kop99
Kelly with a beautiful Bird-like catch and fadeaway. Beautiful.

Gthoma2a
I question that call against Kelly. That's three, but I protest two of those...

FerryFor50
Pretty weak call on Kelly there.

sporthenry
Stops lead to offense.

A third very weak call on Kelly. Somehow he gets a block when the OSU guy didn't even have the ball.

Billy Dat
Playing with some fire, attacking on offense, hitting the glass...let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son of Mojo
11-28-2012, 10:54 PM
HOW was that a foul on Kelly?!?!?!? I'm about to say something wanker-ish.

pfrduke
I never said they'd fold whenever adversity comes. I just said they handled it terribly in the first. But the 2nd half has been different so far...

I certainly don't disagree that they played poorly in the first half - they did. Whether it's a "handling adversity" issue as opposed to playing poorly for 20 minutes (which happens to the best of teams), I think we can agree to disagree.

pfrduke
HOW was that a foul on Kelly?!?!?!? I'm about to say something wanker-ish.

Terrible, terrible call.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Curry has been just completely out of this game. Not effective on D, and he's missed every shot he's taken.
Nice little run here.

Hopefully it is just an off game and not the injury catching up to him. The injury has made me wonder if we were going to see a breakdown mid-season from the beginning (it just seems like such a frustrating type of injury). With how he has played up to this, we NEED to have him playing like the wily veteran that he is in big games.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I certainly don't disagree that they played poorly in the first half - they did. Whether it's a "handling adversity" issue as opposed to playing poorly for 20 minutes (which happens to the best of teams), I think we can agree to disagree.

They played poorly, but they also had some pretty bad body language. They acted tired, when they likely weren't. Between the beginning and end of the half, they kind of looked like they didn't want to be there. They had fire at the start and the end, and it carried over to the 2nd half.

But yes, agree to disagree. :)

kingboozer
11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
This run is court slapping worthy!

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't get why we haven't realized that no matter what it means, we need someone under the glass. It is hard to beat a team that you are conceding rebounds to. Great run, but we need to rebound to put the run to good use. We are getting good stops on the first shot most of the time, but the second and third shots are hard to stop (and it will exhaust our team further trying).

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Can't leave Thomas open. I don't like Kelly switching to the guard. Screws up the whole defense.

Cook/Sheed starting to attack but they need another rebounder out there.

FerryFor50
It would be nice if someone would help Mason on the boards... he's often the only one under the basket on OSU attempts.

pfrduke
Really pretty show and go from Quinn. Lots of time left and this one is well within reach.

Billy Dat
Our guards need to keep attacking, good things are happening when they do.

CLW
11-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Why did K burn that timeout just before the next dead ball = a t.v. timeout? We might NEED that one late.

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't get why we haven't realized that no matter what it means, we need someone under the glass. It is hard to beat a team that you are conceding rebounds to. Great run, but we need to rebound to put the run to good use. We are getting good stops on the first shot most of the time, but the second and third shots are hard to stop (and it will exhaust our team further trying).

yep, many possessions end with 4 OSU players under the rim and no Duke players anywhere near the basket.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Great. Thomas decided to show up.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow. If they are going to start call these fouls on the perimeter, I'd like to see them go both ways.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Curry! 2 points away!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Hairston has been very effective this game...

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
ok now, Curry made a shot. Broke the ice, let's see if he can get something going.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Finally, rhythm!

Billy Dat
It would be HUGE to break through and get a lead somehow...psychologically huge. We are fully in this game, let's take it!!!

J4Kop99
I love the intensity from Mr Plumlee after the beautiful lefty hook from Ma$e

pfrduke
Mason's post game is looking so much more refined. Really nice move to the off hand there.

Utley
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Gutty - need to take the lead

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Mason's post game is looking so much more refined. Really nice move to the off hand there.

That, and he still has that passing ability/handle that drove us crazy before (before he used it too much). He reminds me a little of McRoberts, but more seasoned (McRoberts had good facilitating skills and some serious athleticism, but he lacked the aggressiveness to be relentless in getting his shot; the last part is where Mason has surpassed him).

Crap, Curry is hurt!

J4Kop99
Well, that didn't look good for seth. He was wide open too

FerryFor50
In case you weren't aware, Ryan Kelly is an underrated defender...

CLW
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
We are either going to make a BIG run to blow the game open OR just never get over the hump.

Les Grossman
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
is sure having a nice half

Billy Dat
11-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Man, that Thomas 3 was huge...they keep getting scores when they really need them.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Love that Jay pointed out he didn't come to Duke with those moves but that he DEVELOPED them.

uh_no
is sure having a nice half

what has he done?

I mean he's been fine, but I don't think he's done anything particularly noteworthy...

BlueDevilBrowns
If OSU goes on to win, that last Thomas 3 is the shot of the game. Just a dagger to momentum.

NOTE: I know it's been mentioned on this board before, but Rasheed looks so much like a young MJ, just smooth.

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Would it be worth it to shut Seth down until conference play after tonight? He's clearly hurting and just tweaked something. Maybe he needs to keep going on his injury but seems like good time to heal a little.

Rebounding better this half.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Like how aggressive Sulaimon has been this half.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
When we are struggling to get over the hump to break the fever, plays like the missed layup from Sulaimon, where he should have stuffed it, seem to replay in my head. Obviously it is a small thing, but hopefully we find a way to overcome!

Just when I type something like this, he does something like that... and TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF!!!

FerryFor50
Dang it. Followed up a great 3 with bad defense. Need to be more consistent down the stretch....

sporthenry
Would it be worth it to shut Seth down until conference play after tonight? He's clearly hurting and just tweaked something. Maybe he needs to keep going on his injury but seems like good time to heal a little.

I agree with this line of thinking. Granted we have one of the best training staffs so I'm sure they know what is best but if a month or two off or even just playing sparingly will get him healthy, then I'm all for it. I think I heard something like sometimes you just have to run through shin splints.

But limiting his action will also allow us to get more PT for some of our youngsters.

DukieInBrasil
After a terrible 1st half, Sulaimon has really put on quite a show in the 2nd! Keep creeping closer...

J4Kop99
I don't want to get on Mason but he has to bust his you know what to get back to his man. You can't give up a 2 ft shot like that.

CLW
11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
So far just haven't come up with the STOP to give us a shot to get over the hump IF we can ever get a lead I think Ohio St. will crack.

Gthoma2a
11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Dang it. Followed up a great 3 with bad defense. Need to be more consistent down the stretch....

We have little margin for error to get back in this thing. We have to realize that and start doing the little things. TIE GAME!

DukieInBrasil
11-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Back to back 3s and it's a tie game!!!!!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:16 PM
No foul with the body underneath. But a jump ball? Okayyyy....

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
a jump ball? tough

BlueDevilBrowns
11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Karl Hess you are soooo annoying!

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
a little money from mr kelly!

Gthoma2a
WOW! I love this team. This may end up being just as impressive as a blowout just because we proved we could handle adversity (as long as we close it out).

FerryFor50
Now THIS is how you answer adversity!

Big shots, tough D and rebounding!

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Looked like a jump ball. Great block on his part.

Kelly starting to come on. Still forcing a few shots but once he gets going, Dukes offense should be pretty good.

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 11:19 PM
a jump ball? tough

Right call but late. Worked out though.

Eternal Outlaw
11-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Urban Meyer has really been great to Oho State. Undefeated football season and taught the b-ball guys how to get away with chicken wings and stiff arms while driving.

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 11:21 PM
big put back. Way to follow the shot mason!

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Deshaun Thomas has a horrible plus minus. Thad Matta should bench him. :cool:

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think Craft was set long enough for that to be a valid screen.

Eternal Outlaw
11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't think Craft was set long enough for that to be a valid screen.

Not even close, he jumps to his left right before taking the hit. Obvious blown call.

Billy Dat
Very proud of the way we have fought back and taken the lead. It's winning time, let's see who is going to make plays. Mason has been making them all night!

jacone21
UCONN Donny just called that a flop. :D

BlueDevilBrowns

If it was me, I would have him shut it down until January. However, we know if he's healthy enough to play, K will play him.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:24 PM
And the co-requisite makeup call.

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 11:25 PM
We may be winning but Ohio State has provided the blue print on how to beat Duke this year - great perimeter defense and offensive rebounding. Thing is, there is like one team, Ohio State, in the country that can do both really well.

Edited to ad - maybe IU

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Would have liked to see a replay on the blocked shot on Kelly. I thought that could have been coming down...

pfrduke
How exactly was that not a goaltend?

Billy Dat
Ugh...gotta finish those plays!

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Mason affecting shots when he is 5 feet tall.

This game has been a true testament to Duke. Win or lose, very proud of this team for fighting through this. This comeback has instilled more hope for the coming year.

J4Kop99
It looked like Mason got away with a travel there. Gotta knock 'em down, though

FerryFor50
Great move there by Plumlee. Head fake, then a pivot the other way to pick up the foul.

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Mason's FTs are the biggest story for Duke basketball this year so far, and it's not really close.

chaosmage
11-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Cook didn't touch him!!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
All this talk about Craft shutting Cook down... but Cook has shut Craft down, too!

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
We may be winning but Ohio State has provided the blue print on how to beat Duke this year - great perimeter defense and offensive rebounding. Thing is, there is like one team, Ohio State, in the country that can do both really well.

Edited to ad - maybe IU

You took my rebuttal right out of my mouth. And hopefully come March, we'll have another one of Perky's offspring in the post to help with rebounding.

I also think Cook will see a lot of game film from this game. Both Sheed and Cook have been more aggressive.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Cook didn't touch him!!

He hit him on the wrist... but it was a small touch.

dchen09
So clutch!

J4Kop99
Yes, Quinn! Great patience.

Les Grossman
well done

Billy Dat
Cook! Let's go!!!!!!!!!

freedevil
All this talk about Craft shutting Cook down... but Cook has shut Craft down, too!

I am liking me some Cook right now.

jacone21
Q Masterful!

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I love how much Quinn Cook loves end of game situations.

sporthenry
It looked like Mason got away with a travel there. Gotta knock 'em down, though

Sheed got away with more of a travel on the inbound but you hardly see the travel called in the post when the pivot foot gets dragged. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw it called. Refs don't call travels as much as long as it looks natural and fluid.

dchen09
I think this is how we were trying to play at the beginning, aggressive but patient.

HOLY CRAPPPP SULAIMONNNNNNN

J4Kop99
11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Rasheeeeeed. Putting his head down and going after it!

BlueDevilBrowns
Mason's FTs are the biggest story for Duke basketball this year so far, and it's not really close.

I'd say the play of Quinn and Rasheed is close.

FerryFor50
So many Blue Devils stepped up tonight. HUGE effort after a lackluster, horrible 1st half.