PDA

View Full Version : After Coach K

4decadedukie
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Mike Krzyzewski is now over sixty. Although he clearly can remain Duke’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach for as long as his health permits – and most Dukies fervently hope he’ll do so for many years – it is possible that he may wish to leave sometime during the next decade, to pursue multiple interests and simply to enjoy a less-stressful lifestyle centered on his family.

Whenever K departs as our Head Coach, an intelligent, coherent, and cohesive transition plan will help maintain the program’s successes, character, and aggregate contributions to the Duke University. Therefore, here’s an opportunity offer ideas re a well-integrated, long term, and rational transition architecture.

My suggestion includes two fundamental elements:
a) Coach Dawkins (presuming this is his desire) is formally nominated as Duke next Head Coach well before Coach Krzyzewski retires; and
b) A several year schedule is established, where specific responsibilities would be transferred from Coach K’s leadership to Coach Dawkins’; however, Coach K would remain in place to assist, counsel, and integrate throughout the entire planned transition process.

Cameron
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I have heard that Coach Dawkins does not wish to take over the head coaching job after Coach K retires. I believe I have heard him to say that he is happy where he is at, but that he does not plan on taking the responsibility of replacing Coach.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because he would be a wonderful successor.

Another guy I would love to have take over the program, though, saying that Coach K coaches yet another six or seven years, is Chris Collins. With another half-decade learning under the best in the business, I think Collins would be a great fit. His unbridled passion and love for Duke Blue, as well as the vast knowledge he's learned of the game from both his former NBA head coach father and guys like Coach K and Johnny Dawkins, would make him a very well-rounded candidate in my opinion.

Maybe it's because I just loved him so much as a player:) I do think he'd do well, though, and, on top of that, I would love to keep the job within the Duke family.

duketaylor
08-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd love to know where you've heard JD wasn't interested in replacing K. I've never heard that until now. I agree I'd be comfortable with Chris or Wojo taking over, but it's been long-talked about that JD was heir-apparent.

Cameron
08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
^^I think I've mainly just heard it floating around on Duke message boards, to be honest. I was almost positive that a rather respected poster awhile back on Devil's Den, posted a quote or something from Johnny saying that he wouldn't be interested.

I'm not trying to spread any rumors here, because I honestly do not know. These certainly aren't hard facts. I was just wondering if anyone else here had ever heard anything similiar regarding Dawkins??

wilson
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I too have long heard that JD was K's heir apparent, and to echo others' sentiments, I would feel very comfortable with that. But I would admittedly feel decidedly less comfortable with Collins or Wojo at the helm.

Do y'all think it's a done deal that Duke will promote from "within the family," regardless of who the successor will be? That didn't exactly work out all that well for kuralonna the last time around, nor did their search from among only "family members" (the one that yielded Doh).

I wouldn't hate seeing a national search. I know it would sting a few egos in Durham, but how many coaches around the country are really going to be uninterested in Duke?

kramerbr
08-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Steve Wojciechowski will take over for Coach K to carry on the tradition of having a last name that is hard to pronounce/spell for a majority of fans and people in the media.

Classof06
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
After passing up the Georgetown opening a few years back, I don't see how JD isn't the successor, unless he just doesn't want to be a head coach anywhere.

SilkyJ
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I have heard that Coach Dawkins does not wish to take over the head coaching job after Coach K retires.

In 2004 (I think) During one of the Q&A sessions Coach K always has before the tenting games I asked him directly whether Coach Dawkins was his successor. As someone else pointed out he has turned down numerous head coaching jobs in the college ranks and has turned down top assistant spots in the NBA. He is also not just an ASSISTANT head coach, but rather an ASSOCIATE Head coach...while I dont know what that entails job-description wise, you can bet it means he's the one coach K trusts the most on his staff(as if we didn't know this). (Also, I pointed alllll of these things out in my question, to sort of make it easy for him to say yes).

Coach K's response was that he doesnt't plan on leaving Duke anytime soon and that Coach Dawkins is happy where he is...but then he went on and while he beat around the bush, he made one comment about "keeping it in the family" and I can't remember every detail, but I certainly came away thinking that JDawk was the heir apparent.

I agree I'd be comfortable with Chris or Wojo taking over, but it's been long-talked about that JD was heir-apparent.

Don't kid yourself, Neither Chris nor wojo is even CLOSE to being ready to take over at DUKE. Maybe at a smaller school like Jeff did at VCU, but definitely not Duke. Now we are talking about the future and Chris is only 32(ish) and wojo is 30(ish) so certainly in 5-10 (hopefully 20!) years they may be ready.

I'd actually like to see JDawk go somewhere for a few years as Head coach and then come back with some of that experience.

Cameron
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't kid yourself, Neither Chris nor wojo is even CLOSE to being ready to take over at DUKE.

Well that is what I was eluding to in my original post. If Coach K sticks around another five to seven years, and Dawkins doesn't want the job, then I think Chris would be ready. It will have given Chris over 20 years of learning from Coach K, both as a player, person, and assistant. In my opinion, if he's not ready by 2014, then he'll never be.

Lord Ash
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Being that Collins is the son of a coach he might be a good choice.

Not to bash on ANYONE, tho, but damn, when K goes, I think this board will MELT DOWN for a year, no matter WHO takes over, unless MAYBE it was Shane Battier.

Indoor66
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Steve Wojciechowski will take over for Coach K to carry on the tradition of having a last name that is hard to pronounce/spell for a majority of fans and people in the media.

Further adding to the list of one letter coaches - G, K, P then W.

TheDukeCreed
08-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Dawkins has said that he hates recruiting. This may also be a factor in him shying away from being a head coach.

wilson
08-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Not to bash on ANYONE, tho, but damn, when K goes, I think this board will MELT DOWN for a year, no matter WHO takes over, unless MAYBE it was Shane Battier.

Truer words were never spoken. The best approach is simply to prepare ourselves properly, then sit back and watch it happen, because viewed in the right light, it will be really funny.

jaimedun34
08-13-2007, 06:06 PM
:)

I was just thinking about the good times we'll have when K retires.

If it isn't one of the assistants, I wonder if Jeff Capel's name will be thrown around when the time comes. I'm not sure how realistic that is because Jeff is just starting to build his program at OU.

happydays1949
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I'd love to know where you've heard JD wasn't interested in replacing K. I've never heard that until now. I agree I'd be comfortable with Chris or Wojo taking over, but it's been long-talked about that JD was heir-apparent.

I'm not exactly sure where I heard that Dawkins doesn't want the job. Don't think it was the message boards...maybe he said it after a game several years ago.

SilkyJ
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Dawkins has said that he hates recruiting. This may also be a factor in him shying away from being a head coach.

You know, assistants are just as active, and often MORE active than head coaches on the recruiting front. So I'm not sure if that works...

Someone finally mentioned "Who's your daddy"...I forgot about him. Def my #1 choice behind J-Dawk or Mickey Krzyzewski :)

thomas
08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Not to take anything away from Johnny Dawkins, who has his own skill set and admirable career, but Chris Collins is an incredible communicator and motivator. I had the privilege of getting a closer exposure to him several years ago, and I came away very impressed.

dukemomLA
08-14-2007, 04:26 AM
I don't have any doubt that the new HC after Mike retires will be from the Duke family. Who it is will depend on Coach K's timeline. I think it will probably be Collins, Wojo, Amaker (depending how he does at Harvard). In the past I would have added QSnyder to this list....but.....whatever. Again, depending on timing you could add Grant Hill, Shane, Hurley,etc. to the mix.

I LOVE JD, but I'm not sure he's head coaching material (which might be why he's been such an incredible asset to the Duke staff for so long). He works so well with players and offers so much expertise that has allowed Duke to excel beyond and up to our expectations. He's extraordinary. BUT I'm not sure his soft-spoken demeanor is Head Coach material. I'd rather see him....run for President....or Vice President with Shane as Pres. ??!!??!!!!

Uncle Drew
08-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Further adding to the list of one letter coaches - G, K, P then W.

I think when Coach K retires Duke should replace him with Danny Ferry. Then Duke should make former major league baseball player Ugueth Urbina baseball coach. Get hall of famer Joe Namath to take over the football program. Then get hall of fame player Denise Curry to take over the womens' basketball coaching job. Sure it makes no logical sense, I just want the first letter of the coaches last names to spell out FUNC!

cspan37421
08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I agree with a poster above, I'd like to see some of the coaching tree branch out and apply their wares elsewhere for a bit, if not also set up a horse race and see which coach had the most K magic rubbed off on them. It isn't just coaching, it is recruiting too.

I'm surprised that Collins and Wojo are getting so much attention. Yes they're on the staff now, but a) they haven't gone elsewhere to prove themselves, so how do we know that their success while coaching at Duke isn't really due more to K? and b) they were part (I think) of the mid-90s seasons of 13-18 and 18-13. Seems to me that Hurley should be thought of if he wants it. Didn't K describe him as being the ultimate pure extension of himself, what K would do (or want to do) if he were on the court running the offense?

I would look at Amaker seriously too. He was put in too deep of a hole at Michigan and I don't think he can be fairly judged based on that stop. He did well at SH and was on the sideline for Duke in the early 90s, I think. I hope Capel hasn't stepped in the same doggy doo at OU that Tommy did at UM. Some might say, well, Pitino led UK out of probation and back on the national scene. But didn't Pitino know they were on probation before he agreed to come? Expectations were different. That was a no-lose situation for him. Buy low, sell high.

Brey has a good deal going and I don't know if he would want it. Same for Ferry (I'm sure that was meant in jest anyway).

JD was a great player, and it is heartening that K has so much confidence in him. But the best players don't always make great coaches; JD didn't really run the offense, TA did, and if it is true JD doesn't like recruiting, I can't see how he's the right fit.

BTW, the idea of Joe Namath as football coach is hilarious. Talented, drunk and horny - think any recruits might relate well to him?

TillyGalore
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Why would Bobby Hurley be considered for the HC position? Does he have any coaching experience? All I hear about him relates to his horses.

I am by no means dissing the guy I love him as much as the next fan. I would want a coach with proven experience to replace K, not someone solely because they are part of the Duke family.

cspan37421
08-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I didn't mean immediately. Bring him in first, or up to the college level (he's actually coaching middle schoolers, last I heard, as well as doing the horse racing thing). His dad was a HS coach. I mention BH just based on what K said about him being the perfect extension of himself on the floor. Seems to me that if you're going to consider someone to groom for K's position, that's the quality you want. But yeah, he's far from being able to walk into it at the moment.

365Duke
08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
K's grandson...... when he reached the age of 40:D until then, K will have to hold the job for him:p

Cameron
08-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I nominate King Taylor as player/coach;)

Duke12
08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Remember Coach K's age when Tom brought him in? WoJo is your next guy. I believe Coach sees alot of himself in WoJo and will further mentor/groom WoJo over the next 5-10 years while Collins takes a head coaching job elsewhere.

Bluedawg
08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not exactly sure where I heard that Dawkins doesn't want the job. Don't think it was the message boards...maybe he said it after a game several years ago.

Interview With Johnny Dawkins (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0474.shtml)

by Richard Kent, [BlackAthlete Sports Network,LLC]
POSTED: Jan 14, 2007

BA-You must have had numerous opportunities to be a head coach.

JD-I have had opportunities but I am very happy at Duke.The opportunity to work with Coach K. is great.He is a true leader.And he has taught me a lot.

BA-Would you consider a head coaching job?

JD-Sure that is my goal.

BA-Would that be at Duke after Coach K, retires?

JD-Let's not talk about him retiring.And coaching Duke is everyone's ideal.

I think that is pretty clear and speaks for itself.

dukestheheat
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
after Coach K chooses to hang up his shoes, i'm moving to the mountains, gonna let the hair grow, and i'm going to start eating out of dempster dumpsters. i'm so depressed just thinking about that, that i could only muster lower case letters in this whole reply.

dth.

siestadogz
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
I hope that coach K stays at Duke for a long time. He will be the best as long as he retains his passion.
When he leaves, I hope Duke looks outside our own community for a new coach.
Every year coaches prove themselves capable of bigger things by being successful at smaller schools without all the advantages that Duke has to offer. Most great coaches including coach K have been recruited from the outside.
At the same time coaching is as much an art as a science. I am sure that Amakar and Snyder know coach K's philosophy of coaching very well and yet neither one was particularly successful. A good athletic director can spot that x factor. Remember that K and Spurrier were both brought to Duke. They both were gems.

dkbaseball
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but let's not lose sight of the K coaching tree -- Amaker, Snyder, Bender, Swenson, Henderson and the guy who went to Fairfield (Tim Toole?). All fired, some out of the business altogether. Mike Brey has had moderate success, but his pedigree includes playing for and coaching under Morgan Wooten of DeMatha, arguably the best high school coach ever.

It cannot reasonably be argued that preparing his assistants for head coaching positions is one of K's strengths. Indeed, I think his success is largely attributable to unique personal qualities that aren't necessarily transferrable to his associates.

It's not hard to see potential in each of the three current assistants, but they need to be head coaches before being considered for the Duke job. The next head coach of Duke needs a track record as head coach. When K takes his leave of Duke, every tribute should be extended, except the right to name his successor and "keep it in the family." Dean got that privilege, and while Gut had some success, it's fair to say he took a lot of steam out of the program.

Bluedawg
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
It's not hard to see potential in each of the three current assistants, but they need to be head coaches before being considered for the Duke job. The next head coach of Duke needs a track record as head coach. When K takes his leave of Duke, every tribute should be extended, except the right to name his successor and "keep it in the family." Dean got that privilege, and while Gut had some success, it's fair to say he took a lot of steam out of the program.

I agree, UNC's conference record under Guthridge was 13-3, 10-6, and 9-7. I've never really thought the head coaching job was something you passed out as a "reward" for long term service.

bluedevil
08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Mike Montgomery could be available, he's 2-0 against Coach K and had an undefeated regular season, he's like the Goestenkors of mens basketball except he had almost no talent because of Stanford admissions while G had many of the best players in the country. K may leave earlier than some expect, Duke was 8-8 last season and not even in Slam's preseason top 25 with no proven center or top center recruit. Many in the NBA think K would make a great pro coach because he has an uptempo system that isn't very structured offensively and relies on individual offensive talent and doesn't use zone defense. None of K's former assistants have succeeded as head coaches and Dawkins may be the least inclined among them to recruit, which is the lifeblood of any college basketball program. I would hire Collins before Dawkins or Wojo, Collins helped Amaker bring in the #1 class at Seton Hall, brought Chicago recruits to Duke, and is the son of an NBA coach who knows defense. The fact that he seems 3rd in line behind Dawkins and Wojo among Duke types should tell you something. Who's better than Mike Montgomery? He applied for the UVA job so he'd probably be thrilled to coach Duke, he also had a 100% grad rate for 15 years before a couple stars left for the NBA so the faculty, president, and admissions office should love him.

Lord Ash
08-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Uh, didn't Gut take them to two final fours in three years? I would take that...

Indoor66
08-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Mike Montgomery could be available, he's 2-0 against Coach K and had an undefeated regular season, he's like the Goestenkors of mens basketball except he had almost no talent because of Stanford admissions while G had many of the best players in the country. K may leave earlier than some expect, Duke was 8-8 last season and not even in Slam's preseason top 25 with no proven center or top center recruit. Many in the NBA think K would make a great pro coach because he has an uptempo system that isn't very structured offensively and relies on individual offensive talent and doesn't use zone defense. None of K's former assistants have succeeded as head coaches and Dawkins may be the least inclined among them to recruit, which is the lifeblood of any college basketball program. I would hire Collins before Dawkins or Wojo, Collins helped Amaker bring in the #1 class at Seton Hall, brought Chicago recruits to Duke, and is the son of an NBA coach who knows defense. The fact that he seems 3rd in line behind Dawkins and Wojo among Duke types should tell you something. Who's better than Mike Montgomery? He applied for the UVA job so he'd probably be thrilled to coach Duke, he also had a 100% grad rate for 15 years before a couple stars left for the NBA so the faculty, president, and admissions office should love him.

I see Montgomery as a re-treaded also ran. I would hope that Duke would look for a young, experienced head coach of a smaller school who had earned a shot at the big time. Maybe someone from Army or the like. I would rather have "our" coach than someone else's semi-successful guy. Collins might be OK but Jason Capel is out earning a job in the rough and tumble as a head coach.

Of course the whole discussion is about a decision that is about 10+ years away and might be considered premature.... ;)

allenmurray
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM

JD is a very committed dad. I believe that his kids are about 13 and 11. He may "hate" recruiting less when it doesn't mean being away from his own kids (meaning when they are away at college). If so, then that would work out pretty well with K's possible retirement plans.

trinity92
08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I think when Coach K retires Duke should replace him with Danny Ferry. Then Duke should make former major league baseball player Ugueth Urbina baseball coach. Get hall of famer Joe Namath to take over the football program. Then get hall of fame player Denise Curry to take over the womens' basketball coaching job. Sure it makes no logical sense, I just want the first letter of the coaches last names to spell out FUNC!

Ferry wouldn't be a bad choice at all, if he chose to get into coaching, although he would need some serious training as a HC at a lesser program first. That's one of the same reasons I wouldn't allow CC or Wojo to take over the program before running a different team first.

Along the same lines as another poster, and I know this is kind of a personal thing to me, I simply can't get over the black period in Duke basketball that CC presided over, and I would go very close to saying caused. I will never forgive CC for taking the last shot in the title game against Arkansas, and I never got a warm and fuzzy feeling for him. Never met the guy, but that goes for a lot of the Duke players after I graduated that I supported 100%.

We'll just have to be ready for a rebuilding period like UNC suffered after Dean left. If we are supremely lucky, we will get back to the top as soon after K retires. UNC did an amazing job in that regard, and set the bar quite high.

VAGentleman05
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Who's better than Mike Montgomery? He applied for the UVA job so he'd probably be thrilled to coach Duke, he also had a 100% grad rate for 15 years before a couple stars left for the NBA so the faculty, president, and admissions office should love him.

Only on a handful of internet message boards did Montgomery "apply for the UVA job." While it might be a good idea for Duke to look in his direction, I think it's pretty unlikely that he'll head back east.

Clipsfan
08-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I see that a couple people have thrown out Capel's name, but I don't know why he isn't being given more consideration. He was an assistant coach at ODU, an assistant coach at VCU, took over the VCU program at the young age of 27 and built it into the program that defeated Duke last March, and is going to have 6-10 (hopefully at least) years building the program at Oklahoma. He is part of the Duke family, proved that he could both coach and recruit while at VCU, and will hopefully continue to progress on both fronts at Oklahoma. There are some issues there, but I would like to think that he won't get into the same difficulties as Snyder did, and will have more integrity. Assuming that he views Duke as the holy grail of coaching, I don't know why he wouldn't take the job if offered it, and if he continues to do an excellent job I think that he would be in serious consideration for the position. I think that Dawkins is still the front runner, but Capel will be up there when the time comes.

arnie
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
A local broadcaster interviewed K several weeks ago and walked away with the impression that K would retire in 2-3 more years. The broadcaster said K was interested in teaching at Duke, traveling the world and giving more national speeches. Of course K would not speculate on his retirement date.

I think Capel would be the right choice. He has the head coaching experience and proven success. Of course, with our administration, I have no confidence that they would pick anyone except the person K nominates.
I think we have to hope that K understands best who his successor should be.

The key hire, might be the successor to K's successor. That has been the historical trend for dynasties.

Clipsfan
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
A local broadcaster interviewed K several weeks ago and walked away with the impression that K would retire in 2-3 more years. The broadcaster said K was interested in teaching at Duke, traveling the world and giving more national speeches. Of course K would not speculate on his retirement date.

I think Capel would be the right choice. He has the head coaching experience and proven success. Of course, with our administration, I have no confidence that they would pick anyone except the person K nominates.
I think we have to hope that K understands best who his successor should be.

The key hire, might be the successor to K's successor. That has been the historical trend for dynasties.

Did the broadcaster state why he had that impression, other than the desire to teach/travel? K gets to teach as the coach, although there isn't much travel outside the US associated with the job. I'd like to hope that he'll be around a while longer, if nothing else at least until he holds the record for career victories. I think that he'll try for that, it's well within his reach.

arnie
08-21-2007, 07:46 PM
The sportscaster (name unknown - but he was discussing the subject with Tom Suiter) felt that K wanted to do more teaching at Duke coupled with world travel and more speaking engagements. I tend to agree with you that he will probably pass Deano, but its hard to chase the win's record if Knight intends to coach until he dies. The point I'm trying to make is that Duke should be looking ahead a bit just in case K does leave sooner than we hope.

Highlander
08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Interview With Johnny Dawkins (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0474.shtml)

by Richard Kent, [BlackAthlete Sports Network,LLC]
POSTED: Jan 14, 2007

I think that is pretty clear and speaks for itself.

Read the first chapter of "Beyond Basketball." I'll paraphrase it here. Coach K talks about the fact that JD believed in Coach before anyone else did. He came to a program that was average at best, and enabled K to sell Duke to others. He also was instrumental in building Duke into a national powerhouse and K into a household name. JD went on to have a successful NBA career, and returned to Duke where he has continued to help build the program.

K goes on to say something to the effect of "there is no better steward of Duke basketball than JD, and who better to carry on the program than someone who was instrumental in building it." I interpreted that to mean JD was in line for the job once K leaves.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I know Coach K is 61 and still has about 7-9 more years left to catch Bob Knight but who takes over after him?

Is it a line of succession where Dawkins will take over as HC,there are reports hes going to be sought out hardly by South Carolina at the end of the season.

Could someone fill me in.

dw0827
02-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I know Coach K is 61 and still has about 7-9 more years left to catch Bob Knight but who takes over after him?

Is it a line of succession where Dawkins will take over as HC,there are reports hes going to be sought out hardly by South Carolina at the end of the season.

Could someone fill me in.

Could you please identify these reports? What reports?

Mike Corey
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Dawkins isn't going anywhere, IMO.

And Coach K's successor will probably be Jason Evans. I hear Coach K loves his taste in movies.

Ignatius07
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't be shocked in Dawkins left at some point (though I would be surprised because it seems like he'd have a lot of support to succeed K), but I would be shocked if he left for South Carolina. He could get a MUCH better job than that.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Could you please identify these reports? What reports?
No official reports just some rumbling amongst their fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Dawkins

But from the fans I know and trust they have said that South Carolina will probably look into Dawkins or Collins at the end of the season.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't be shocked in Dawkins left at some point (though I would be surprised because it seems like he'd have a lot of support to succeed K), but I would be shocked if he left for South Carolina. He could get a MUCH better job than that.
Didnt he get considered for the Rutgers job a few years back and turned it down.

South Carolina is a decent job they have some solid talent,and all he has to do is keep the players in state from going to Clemson,which is good for us.

Dawkins would be building on a program thats NIT Level so its not like its a complete rebuilding project,and with his Duke pedigree it would be considered a HUGE hiring down there.

dw0827
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Cockytalk?

Thats just wrong.

Hey, where'd it go?

Bluedog
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
No official reports just some rumbling amongst their fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Dawkins

But from the fans I know and trust they have said that South Carolina will probably look into Dawkins or Collins at the end of the season.

Yes, since an anonymous contributor from South Carolina decided to edit Dawkins' wikipedia entry, clearly that means that it is true. Right....</sarcasm> The unsourced speculation has now been removed.

mr. synellinden
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
It is awfully hard to speculate because I believe Coach K will be on our bench for at least another 7 or 8 years, but if I had to put my money down on anyone, it would be Wojo.

But who knows, Jeff Capel could have a couple of Final Fours or a NC under his belt by then and be a leading candidate. Wojo could be offered a can't turn down job next year. So many things could change.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Cockytalk?

Thats just wrong.

Hey, where'd it go?
here it is.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=58225

Apparently some fans want one of our assistants,and others think all of our assistants/former players are failures as coaches.

Which is absolutely false.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
The future is a long time. Things change.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, since an anonymous contributor from South Carolina decided to edit Dawkins' wikipedia entry, clearly that means that it is true. Right....</sarcasm> The unsourced speculation has now been removed.
You removed it?

Even if it were false,it sounds like an ideal situation for Dawkins because I just cant see him staying on the bench as an assistant for much longer unless his patience is zen like.

Franzez
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
True.

Acymetric
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Rumblings that I've heard from better connected fans than me (usually people I meet through my dad, who somehow seems to know everybody) is that the departure might be sooner than we think/hope. This was before the season though, it may be that coach K is enjoying this season quite a bit (it seems like he is) and might stay longer. It could also be that the people I heard are just plain wrong.

Regardless, I think Dawkins is a strong candidate for replacing K. That's another reason it seems like K might leave sooner rather than later. Especially considering his own health plus his interests in things outside basketball, plus if Dawkins really is the plan, how long are they going to hold on to him (he's not old, but he's not all that young either)?

Whether he stays 3 years or 15, I think Duke will continue it's basketball excellence well into the future, so while I'll certainly be sad to see him leave, I won't be concerned.

throatybeard
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Talking about this for the umpteenth time, in the middle of the season, sure is timely.

Exiled_Devil
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
for the record (and umpteenth time) JD is Associate Head Coach, not an Assistant. He is K's right hand. And from conversations with him (in '04) he is (was, admittedly) content with where he is and what he is doing. Everything I have heard since reinforced that idea, I would be shocked if he went elsewhere. Shocked.

As for ascending to the throne, JD has always demured - with the exception of that 2007 interview posted earlier. I have been in the camp of "JD retires with K", and promoted that idea on the boards. This interview changes that a little, and I would be glad to have JD if K retired, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was transitional.

I don't buy Wojo or Collins as head coaches without external experience. My dark horse candidate? Coach Duhon. 10 years down the line, he could be a great coach. I'd put money that he is coaching at some level by then, and could pull a JD - bring the NBA money to a nice gated community in the triangle and work at the Alma Mater.

Exiled

dukestheheat
02-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm hope that the heir is Coach Dawkins; but talk about well thought out schemes!? When the time comes for that (I'm going on a three week vacation and I will begin taking anti-depressant medication), Duke will do probably the best job most of us have seen at getting the right guy in the seat.

And those shoes are way too big for anyone to fill; K is SUPERMAN.

dth.

Bluedawg
02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
^^I think I've mainly just heard it floating around on Duke message boards, to be honest. I was almost positive that a rather respected poster awhile back on Devil's Den, posted a quote or something from Johnny saying that he wouldn't be interested.

I'm not trying to spread any rumors here, because I honestly do not know. These certainly aren't hard facts. I was just wondering if anyone else here had ever heard anything similiar regarding Dawkins??

A 2007 Interview With Johnny Dawkins (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0474.shtml)

BA-You must have had numerous opportunities to be a head coach.

JD-I have had opportunities but I am very happy at Duke.The opportunity to work with Coach K. is great.He is a true leader.And he has taught me a lot.

BA-Would you consider a head coaching job?

JD-Sure that is my goal.

BA-Would that be at Duke after Coach K, retires?

JD-Let's not talk about him retiring.And coaching Duke is everyone's ideal.

crote
02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Dawkins if he wants it, otherwise Jeff Capel, Jeff Capel, a thousand times Jeff Capel.

Duke has been and continues to be great for a number of reasons, but the most important, at least in my opinion, is the consistency of effort our teams show. Very rarely do you see anyone taking a possession off, much less a game. Scrapping for loose balls, tenacity on defense, and so on, those are Duke hallmarks, and are an attitude thing as much as anything else.

Attitude extends from the coach downward. From what I've seen of Capel's OU teams so far, there is no shortage of effort. Those guys are playing hard, getting every last inch out of their admittedly limited talent. They play like Duke. That's not an accident.

Remember, also, that the VCU team which took us out last year was, essentially, a Jeff Capel team, just a year removed from his stint there as HC.

allenmurray
02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I would be shocked if he went elsewhere. Shocked.

Johnny is every bit a family man. His older son is a starter for the JV team at Northern High School here in Durham, and his younger son will start 8th grade next year. Even if JD considers a head coaching job somewhere other than Duke in the future, I'd be really surprised if it happened before his boys graduated from high school.

Matches
02-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Indeed. K may coach another 7-8 years - the best candidate might be someone we're not even thinking of right now. Remember 7-8 years AGO we'd all have listed Quin and Amaker as strong candidates.

Dawkins would be my choice NOW - but I don't know that he will even stick around after K is gone.

Too early to tell with Capel. He's had nice results so far but still has much to prove. Not sure he'd want the job either - we DID boo him, after all.

Collins or Wojo are hard to imagine in the top spot - but that could certainly change in 7-8 years.

camion
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
If the change happens in the near future I'd like to see Capel, but I'm still hoping K will stay around long enough for Shane to take over.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Dawkins if he wants it, otherwise Jeff Capel, Jeff Capel, a thousand times Jeff Capel.

Duke has been and continues to be great for a number of reasons, but the most important, at least in my opinion, is the consistency of effort our teams show. Very rarely do you see anyone taking a possession off, much less a game. Scrapping for loose balls, tenacity on defense, and so on, those are Duke hallmarks, and are an attitude thing as much as anything else.

Attitude extends from the coach downward. From what I've seen of Capel's OU teams so far, there is no shortage of effort. Those guys are playing hard, getting every last inch out of their admittedly limited talent. They play like Duke. That's not an accident.

Remember, also, that the VCU team which took us out last year was, essentially, a Jeff Capel team, just a year removed from his stint there as HC.
I must take exception with the idea of Jeff Capel as a possible candidate for coaching at Duke. It's true that his teams have done well, but there is, in my opinion, and important element missing. Coach K is going to leave quite a legacy in terms of how he relates to people outside the basketball program. My experiences with Jeff in other settings was that he was not interested or willing to interact. I'm not talking about a gaggle of groupies following him wanting autographs. I'm talking about his behavior when sent out to schools to represent Duke and interact with students there. He was impatient and rude to elementary children and to adults. Johnny Dawkins has so much more class and that special quality presence that there is no comparison... and so does Wojo or Danny Ferry or Tommy Amaker or .....

DukieInKansas
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
If the change happens in the near future I'd like to see Capel, but I'm still hoping K will stay around long enough for Shane to take over.

Is that before or after Shane runs for President? :D

3rd Dukie
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but let's not lose sight of the K coaching tree -- Amaker, Snyder, Bender, Swenson, Henderson and the guy who went to Fairfield (Tim Toole?). All fired, some out of the business altogether. Mike Brey has had moderate success, but his pedigree includes playing for and coaching under Morgan Wooten of DeMatha, arguably the best high school coach ever.

It cannot reasonably be argued that preparing his assistants for head coaching positions is one of K's strengths. Indeed, I think his success is largely attributable to unique personal qualities that aren't necessarily transferrable to his associates.

Very well said, EXCEPT that I see no reason not give K a very large role, and maybe sole authority, in choosing the next coach. It would not shock me if he chose someone outside of Duke. Your point regarding his strength in preparing his assistants makes sense to me intuitively. However, my guess is that he recognizes that fact at least as well as any of us.

Otherwise, I agree 100%.

BigTedder
02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
When K retires, we should get Bobby Knight...he's gonna live forever, so he'll be available. Hell, I'll probably die before Coach Knight will. haha

3rd Dukie
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I see Montgomery as a re-treaded also ran. I would hope that Duke would look for a young, experienced head coach of a smaller school who had earned a shot at the big time. Maybe someone from Army or the like. I would rather have "our" coach than someone else's semi-successful guy. Collins might be OK but Jason Capel is out earning a job in the rough and tumble as a head coach.

Of course the whole discussion is about a decision that is about 10+ years away and might be considered premature.... ;)

Your comment RE: Montgomery is spot on. I live practically next door to Stanford and have followed them for about 15 years. While Mike, in my opinion, was certainly superior to the current Stanford coach and was a pretty good fit for Stanford, he is in NO way qualified to be considered for the Duke job.
Good call! "Also ran" is a very good assessment.

thomas
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I decided to weigh in on this discussion.

Most importantly, I wish Coach K the best of health, and hope he is able to be in control of his retirement.

Having attended the 1st K Academy, and getting to know Chris Collins better, i can attest to his excellent communication skills and amazing ability to analyze the game. Not that others are not capable, but I am confident that Collins will be a very successful head coach somewhere, if not at Duke. I was incredibly impressed with him.

I also found Bobby Hurley to be a very genuine, humble, and likeable guy. If I were a parent, and he came in my living room to recruit my son, I'd be asking for the papers to sign.

Ignatius07
02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I always got the impression that Collins was the low-man on the totem pole of the Duke staff. Not to suggest in any way that K does not like or respect him, just that Wojo and - obviously - Dawkins are higher in the pecking order.

watzone
02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Talking about this for the umpteenth time, in the middle of the season, sure is timely.
This is one of those threads that truly tests DBR old timers. And as you said ... the timing ... surely there is more to talk about during a wonderful season. For those who think I am being a jerk, I have been quite involved and opionated in several of these over the years. At least they were in the Summer;)

Pernell
02-14-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm not as regular as years past and so I'm not sure if there
has already been discussion on this topic, but if Jeff/Oklahoma
won the national championship or even became a powerhouse over the next couple of years, would Jeff be given serious consideration to succeed K or is it pretty much Johnny's job?

PSB III

Lulu
02-14-2008, 01:54 AM
This must be a great conversation to be having right now when we're trying to recruit at the same time. Can we not wait until K expresses the slightest indication that he could be leaving soon before we start any paranoia? If recruiting suffers just because of his age he might have to leave before he's even ready.

It's gotta be JD though when he goes. Just has to be.

UncleBill
02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
My twins boys are two years and four months old, Class of '27, I think, and we are telling them they will be playing for Coach Dawkins. If Daddy says it, it MUST be true.

dukepsy1963
02-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I hate threads like this..........;). I just want K to stay around for another 20 years.... So, I am going to stick my head in the sand on this discussion.

I know, I know...it's eventually gotta come; but I am having too much fun right now.............:).

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
While I concur with Wat that there is much better stuff to talk about now than who will succeed K at some unknown time, the one thing that I won't worry about is what recruits are taking away from this thread. Honestly, do you think that K's longevity and succession plans aren't discussed in depth with recruits and thier families? I'm sure that K, JD, Collins, and Wojo have these discussions with the kids and thier parents ad nauseum.

Mike Corey
02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
My twins boys are two years and four months old, Class of '27, I think, and we are telling them they will be playing for Coach Dawkins. If Daddy says it, it MUST be true.

That's outstanding.

topps coach
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I hope K stays for many years for many more years but coaching is a young personsgame requiring a tremendous amoint of energy. K seems to have found the fountain of youth righy but at age 61this may be a year to year thing. We should savor every game and season that he is here.

With this mind remember weare DUKE and we will continue to be great. We struggled for a while when Vic Bubas retired but recovered with Bill Foster. K did not inherit a great team but look where we are now. K will not leave his successor with an empty cupboard. So when K finally retires hopefullyten plus years from now DUKE will still be DUKE

Surfsideron
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
K will not leave his successor with an empty cupboard. So when K finally retires hopefully ten plus years from now DUKE will still be DUKE

If K stays for 10 more years, than I would bet the Greg Paulus would have a good shot at the coaching position.

I don't believe Greg has an NBA future but he has "coach" written all over him. He is a fierce competitor, knowledgeable, is well spoken and liked by those who really know him.

Once he graduates Duke, look for him to prep somewhere, with K's help and guidance, for a few years, come to Duke as an assistant and then step into the job.

I think he would be a terrific coach.

JBDuke
02-15-2008, 07:53 PM
This topic has been covered ad naseum and serves no purpose in the middle of the season. If you wish to re-examine this topic, please do it after the season is concluded.

This thread is CLOSED.