PDA

View Full Version : Did Roy call his players Mamma's boys?

oldnavy
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey it's never too early to start a Roy thread. He has already shown his hind end by snapping at a Maui worker who was just doing his job by trying to adjust the mic at his post game presser.

Now he has basically called out his team for being "mamma's boys". This is a quote from the Luke DeCock article in the challenge notes:

“We’d set a screen and they’d run through it,” Williams said. “They’d set a screen and we’d stop and start calling for mama. … We just weren’t physical enough. We’d put a body on them, and they’d knock us out of the way, and not illegally. It was just that they wanted the basketball more than we did.

"The wheels on the bus go round and roung, round and roung...."

This has the potential to be a really fun year.

BD80
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey it's never too early to start a Roy thread. He has already shown his hind end by snapping at a Maui worker who was just doing his job by trying to adjust the mic at his post game presser.

Now he has basically called out his team for being "mamma's boys". This is a quote from the Luke DeCock article in the challenge notes:

“We’d set a screen and they’d run through it,” Williams said. “They’d set a screen and we’d stop and start calling for mama. … We just weren’t physical enough. We’d put a body on them, and they’d knock us out of the way, and not illegally. It was just that they wanted the basketball more than we did.

"The wheels on the bus go round and roung, round and roung...."

This has the potential to be a really fun year.

Like Anakin slaughtering the younglings at the Jedi Temple ... almost feel bad for the young tarheels facing the embodiment of evil

striker219
11-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Like Anakin slaughtering the younglings at the Jedi Temple ... almost feel bad for the young tarheels facing the embodiment of evil

I had a good laugh at that, but honestly, Roy strikes me as a little more Jar Jar Binks than a young Darth Vader.

Dukeblue91
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I can't wait to hear what he has to say about his players after tonight's Indiana game?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I had a good laugh at that, but honestly, Roy strikes me as a little more Jar Jar Binks than a young Darth Vader.

I hope Ol' Roy uses tonight's halftime speech on his boys when they us! 3 points in the first 8 minutes! Bwahahahaha! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DevilWearsPrada
11-28-2012, 01:02 AM

"

Thanks for posting this!!! ROFL

At Duke, the Crazies used to Chant out, "WHO'S YOUR DADDY?" I don't ever recall Coach K EVER, calling any of his team, Mamma's boys. Coach takes young teenagers out of high school, and molds them into fine, young men that graduate with a Duke degree!

Did Ole Roy, stick his foot in his mouth, once again????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dchen09
11-28-2012, 01:24 AM
He also said he was going to kill his time in practice after tonight's game....

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Love this post-game quote...

"Boy, I would love to watch them play if it wasn't against my team," Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said. "You look down the lineup and Cody Zeller, he's family to begin with, he's really a load to handle, and two other guys that I didn't even hear of when they were in high school, they just kicked our rear ends."

Maybe Ol' Roy should try to target his own recruits instead of waiting for them to hit everyone's radar and then adding them to his list of "freaking" towns he has to go to "11 times"... :D

miramar
11-28-2012, 07:44 AM

"Boy, I would love to watch them play if it wasn't against my team," Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said. "You look down the lineup and Cody Zeller, he's family to begin with, he's really a load to handle, and two other guys that I didn't even hear of when they were in high school, they just kicked our rear ends."

Maybe Ol' Roy should try to target his own recruits instead of waiting for them to hit everyone's radar and then adding them to his list of "freaking" towns he has to go to "11 times"... :D

Maybe he hadn't heard of them because they're not mama's boys.

BD80
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM

"... and two other guys that I didn't even hear of when they were in high school, they just kicked our rear ends."

Why would he know about Indiana high school players (Jordan Hulls), its not like its a basketball hotbed. Kinda sad that he never heard of these guys when there were in high school, guess they didn't caddy at the country clubs he likes to play.

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM

This says allot about his recruiting approach and his general knowledge of HS players.
I have to admit I truly enjoyed the beating they got last night in many ways and have a feeling that there is going to be another meltdown like 2010.
The last 3 games have been very telling about this team and him as a coach.
I have always contented that he is not a very good in game coach or motivator, if he can't overwhelm you with hugely superior talent he won't know what to do.

Any other coach in the country would be ecstatic to have the level of talent that he has and they would go very far.
Calling out and embarrassing your kids will only go so far and eventually do the opposite of motivation.

Monmouth77
11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
"Basketball is a simple game. You just need to do the crap that I tell you to do."

--Roy Williams

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/68420/despite-beatdown-heels-playing-for-march

TruBlu
11-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Methinks that Roy never heard of them because Coach K never recruited them.

roywhite
11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
That's not a very good UNC team at this point.

Do they get better, or revert to the bad form of a few years ago?
It's a challenging situation for Ole Roy.

SupaDave
11-28-2012, 10:40 AM
They're young, smallish, have no leader, and their center wants to be a small forward. Pretty much a recipe for disaster when they're not well coached...

oldnavy
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
That's not a very good UNC team at this point.

Do they get better, or revert to the bad form of a few years ago?
It's a challenging situation for Ole Roy.

I vote for a repeat of 2010. Roy has shown that he doesn't have a lot of patience with kids on the learning curve.

UNC just doesn't have the talent that it has had in the past. Don't get me wrong, the kids they have are not bad, in fact they are pretty good, just not overwhelmingly good as teams past.

Amazing how different this years team plays. They are perimeter based with very little inside out ball rotation. They settle for jump shots early in the shot clock and if they are not hitting them, then they are in trouble.

I suspect that Roy will be short fused the whole year. Better not show up at the Dean Dome and shout "miss it" when UNC is shooting free throws, you just might get asked to leave.

hudlow
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Goes back to the speculation that Roy is a much better recruiter than coach....If he can't get players who don't need in-game coaching, he's in trouble.

oldnavy
11-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Goes back to the speculation that Roy is a much better recruiter than coach....If he can't get players who don't need in-game coaching, he's in trouble.

Yep, I been preaching this for some time now. This season will be another chance for Ol Roy to prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening.