PDA

View Full Version : ACC/Big 10 Challenge discussion

UrinalCake
11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm surprised a thread hasn't already been started. I'll kick things off by asking the difficult question of who everyone will be rooting for in the UNC-Indiana game? Like most, I find it almost impossible to root for the Heels, but a win would mean we could move up to #1 if we beat OSU. Also, I really want to win this Challenge after a dry spell, so every win counts. Finally, we'll be playing UNC at least twice this season so a victory by them will help our strength of schedule come tourney time. Thoughts?

(Side note: espn reports that PJ Hairson will not play)

uh_no
11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
i'm surprised a thread hasn't already been started. I'll kick things off by asking the difficult question of who everyone will be rooting for in the unc-indiana game? Like most, i find it almost impossible to root for the heels, but a win would mean we could move up to #1 if we beat osu. Also, i really want to win this challenge after a dry spell, so every win counts. Finally, we'll be playing unc at least twice this season so a victory by them will help our strength of schedule come tourney time. thoughts?

(side note: Espn reports that pj hairson will not play)

9f9f9f!

Bluealum
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm surprised a thread hasn't already been started. I'll kick things off by asking the difficult question of who everyone will be rooting for in the UNC-Indiana game? Like most, I find it almost impossible to root for the Heels, but a win would mean we could move up to #1 if we beat OSU. Also, I really want to win this Challenge after a dry spell, so every win counts. Finally, we'll be playing UNC at least twice this season so a victory by them will help our strength of schedule come tourney time. Thoughts?

The Maryland defection and the poor showings by NC State, UNC, FSU, Miami, etc. in the early season have me concerned about the ACC as a whole. We are not good in football and losing a charter member. We have to hang our hat on hoops and reclaiming this challenge would help to stop growing the ACC perception of weakness.

I for one will be heel-rooting this night and for all other ACC teams not named Maryland.

Faustus
11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Me too. Can't pull for the Heels. Challenge be d***ed. I hope IU crushes them. Maybe then BC can somehow weasel out an upset to redress the celestial balance in the universe. I wouldn't mind quick audience shots showing the Zeller parents either, pointing and laughing.

Ichabod Drain
11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
The Maryland defection and the poor showings by NC State, UNC, FSU, Miami, etc. in the early season have me concerned about the ACC as a whole. We are not good in football and losing a charter member. We have to hang our hat on hoops and reclaiming this challenge would help to stop growing the ACC perception of weakness.

I for one will be heel-rooting this night and for all other ACC teams not named Maryland.

I mey be the only one, but to me UNC is really scary this year. When they play hard and get rolling they can score.... a lot. Their defense might be a little suspect but they've only played about 28 minutes of bad basketball so far this year. They took a 29 point lead by Butler down to six in about eight minutes. They may be a little rough around the edges but they are oozing talent and athleticism. I expect Indiana to win but it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see UNC take this one.

That said I hope they lose by 31.

Also, It's hard to judge Ohio State, they haven't played anyone noteworthy yet so it will be intersting to see how they perform against us. I'm taking Duke by 10 in that one.

timmy c
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Getting to #1 this early in the season seems anticlimactic. I’d rather see the current blue devils work hard under the illusion that they deserve more respect.

PS NEVER rooting for UNC

Dev11
11-27-2012, 12:01 PM

There are ACC teams named Maryland?

11 games over two days. Weird that the B1G decided to schedule a conference game in the middle of the challenge.

Beat the B1G

InSpades
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Same as every year... I hope the ACC goes 11-1 and none of the games are close :). (Yes, I even hope Maryland wins, though I wouldn't be too upset if they made it 10-2).

subzero02
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
What are people's thoughts about tonight's games against the spread....

North Carolina +10 at Indiana

FSU -3 vs Minnesota

Virginia Tech -1.5 vs Iowa

NC State +6 at Michigan

Wake Forest -5 vs Nebraska

Maryland +4.5 at Northwestern

I would love to see unc lose by more than 10 but don't see it happening. I like Minnesota and the 3 points against the Noles. Virginia Tech and Iowa is a toss up. I like Michigan over NC State by more than 6. I can't call Wake and Nebraska but I will take Maryland and the 4.5 points over Northwestern.

CDu
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Being #1 at this point in the season is irrelevant, so no reason to cheer for UNC on that account.

The ACC can win the challenge without UNC winning tonight, so no reason to cheer for UNC on that account.

UNC is UNC, so no reason to cheer for UNC on that account.

Go Hoosiers and go ACC!

jv001
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Go Indiana..beat the heels!!!!Go rest of the ACC and most of all GoDuke!

CDu
11-27-2012, 12:50 PM
What are people's thoughts about tonight's games against the spread....

North Carolina +10 at Indiana

FSU -3 vs Minnesota

Virginia Tech -1.5 vs Iowa

NC State +6 at Michigan

Wake Forest -5 vs Nebraska

Maryland +4.5 at Northwestern

I would love to see unc lose by more than 10 but don't see it happening. I like Minnesota and the 3 points against the Noles. Virginia Tech and Iowa is a toss up. I like Michigan over NC State by more than 6. I can't call Wake and Nebraska but I will take Maryland and the 4.5 points over Northwestern.

I like Michigan and Indiana in the marquee games. I like VT at home against Iowa. I like Maryland (especially with the points) against Northwestern. I guess since Wake is at home I like them against the points over Nebraska, but I'm not thrilled about it. Tallahassee is generally a tough place to play, but I suspect that Minnesota is good enough to pull the upset. I'd take the points.

In a pick'em, I'd go Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, VT, Wake, and Minnesota.

subzero02
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I like Michigan and Indiana in the marquee games. I like VT at home against Iowa. I like Maryland (especially with the points) against Northwestern. I guess since Wake is at home I like them against the points over Nebraska, but I'm not thrilled about it. Tallahassee is generally a tough place to play, but I suspect that Minnesota is good enough to pull the upset. I'd take the points.

So you don't anticipate unc handling the pressures of assembly hall too well? How do you see that matchup breaking down?

Newton_14
11-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Come to your senses lad! There is never, ever a reason to pull for UNC. 9F trumps all!

1 24 90
11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
If I'm being totally honest, I don't care if the ACC is 1-11 as long as the one win occurs in Durham tomorrow night.

(Especially considering my location)

ChillinDuke
11-27-2012, 03:54 PM

I agree with you. This is sort of my fear, though: our big boys all falling to the B1G. UNC, NC State, and FSU were all supposed to be top tier in the ACC this year - perhaps all in the Top 4 along with Duke, depending on who you talk to re: FSU.

I'm not sure how great a "win" would be in the Challenge if the 6 winners are our bottom 6 teams, you know what I mean? (and yes, I'm defining "win" as a tie for these purposes)

I guess there's two sides to every coin, and you could argue that it means our bottom half is getting better? Maybe they are better than the bottom half of the B1G? But in terms of national relevance/exposure for the ACC, I'm not sure a decent result in the Challenge is all that decent if the top third goes 1-3...or worse.

- Chillin

wilko
11-27-2012, 05:14 PM
The good guys need a win.
The only team I want to lose is UMd.

I will be pulling for every other ACC team - even the Holes.

In this case we need them for 2 reasons.
1) to clear IU out of the way for when we take care of business with OSU. (hopefully)
2) solidarity with our ACC brethren. If we lose our luster as a BBall conference - whats to become of us?

I'll pull 4 UNC and then take a shower..
I want them to win an ugly game in the most unimpressive fashion possible. Gifts from the refs, clock errors, Roy hoarding time outs or telling someone to leave.. Heck I'd settle for a fistfight.
As long as the Holes look poorly doing it. Of course if IU wipes them up by 30 I wont lose any sleep either.

A-Tex Devil
11-27-2012, 05:48 PM
I thought the match-ups tonight were all about right as far as pairing teams. Tomorrow is a different story and goes to show that the Big Ten is much deeper than the ACC this year. Virginia and GaTech are both likely to get boat raced tomorrow.

I agree with the consensus here that we'll see Minnesota, VaTech, Michigan, Maryland, Wake and Indiana win tonight, and all but Wake and Indiana will cover. The UNC-Indiana game will likely get played in the 80s, and I think it will come down to no one on UNC being able to stop Zeller. 10 points is too much, though, and UNC will keep it close.

Va Tech and Maryland seem like sure things to me, but I'm sure one of them will blow it. All the home teams are favored today too, which is interesting.

Dukeblue91
11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah there is no way or situation I can think of here that would make me want to pull for the holes.
I want the ACC to do good but they will need to do it without my UNC support.

Bluealum
11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
The good guys need a win.
The only team I want to lose is UMd.

I will be pulling for every other ACC team - even the Holes.

In this case we need them for 2 reasons.
1) to clear IU out of the way for when we take care of business with OSU. (hopefully)
2) solidarity with our ACC brethren. If we lose our luster as a BBall conference - whats to become of us?

I'll pull 4 UNC and then take a shower..
I want them to win an ugly game in the most unimpressive fashion possible. Gifts from the refs, clock errors, Roy hoarding time outs or telling someone to leave.. Heck I'd settle for a fistfight.
As long as the Holes look poorly doing it. Of course if IU wipes them up by 30 I wont lose any sleep either.

This! Thanks for the laughs, I agree completely. The fistfight would be ideal!

Dev11
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Mitch McGary does appear to enjoy setting screens. Too bad, if he did, he might get some more open touches.

Faustus
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Wow, the Zeller parents really were pointing and laughing in that romp tonight. Not that I minded, of course. Quite a halftime locker room speech Roy must have given his scholar-athletes. Evidently the 20-some point Butler deficit wasn't deep enough. Went for 30 this time. Well done.

Poor Wake, the only "upset" in the first round. Sounds like they truly are still terrible.

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2012, 12:42 AM
- Virginia and Georgia Tech looking at much more talented teams, and on the road
- Miami getting Michigan St and home. Somehow favored. I don't understand that.
- BC lost to Bryant. Bryant.
- Duke faces the team that stomped them last year. More optimistic this year, but it will be a very tough game.
- Who knows if Clemson can handle Purdue. They should.

Va Tech and MD looked like sure fire winners going into today. The ACC doesn't have a comfortable matchup in any game tomorrow.

-bdbd
11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Not looking too good for the ACC. 2-4 for the first day, and some tough match-ups set for tomorrow. Might be tough to even things up. Odd that this year the Big10 is better in BB and the ACC, for the latter half of the FB season, had the clear upper hand in top-25 FB rankings (OSU doesn't count b/c of ineligibility). At one point a few weeks ago the Big10 had ZERO FB teams ranked in top-25. Really.

This was certainly a year I'd love to see the ACC win this thing though.

Even though I could've been happy to see Indiana go down, and clear a path for Duke at #1 - that alone is I'm sure why some on IC are claiming "we meant to lose..." :rolleyes: - I must confess to more than just a little pleasure in watching the heels get so thoroughly spanked on national TV! :D

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Have to say, IU was impressive. Great team basketball. 21 Assists on 33 FGs vs. Carowina's 8 assists on 26 FGs.

UrinalCake
11-28-2012, 07:29 AM
BC lost to Bryant. Bryant.

You mean Kobe played them one-on-five and still won? Wow! 8-)

davekay1971
11-28-2012, 08:18 AM
You mean Kobe played them one-on-five and still won? Wow! 8-)

Honestly, that could be a good matchup with BC this year. Kobe could defend the lane and focus on preventing close shots and getting boards. On offense, I'm not sure BC could contain him.

gw67
11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I switched back and forth among several games last night. Some observations:

•Michigan and Indiana stood out among the teams. I really like Michigan. They have some very good talent, including four talented freshmen, are well rounded, share the ball, and they are well coached. By the end of the year, they may be better than Indiana.
•NC State has talent but is their coach capable of pulling it together as a cohesive team?
•UNC looked terrible. I've only seen them play twice but they seem overrated. It won't matter during ACC play because the league is not strong this year.
•Sheehy looked to be a better player than uncle Tom who was mainstay for Virginia several years ago.
•Maryland defended well and destroyed NW on the boards. By my count, they only made seven jump shots but it didn't matter. They will be a very competitive team during ACC play regardless of what Pomeroy thinks.
•Based on the four games I watched, the B1G is the superior league. I'd like to see the ACC do better tonight but I will be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

gw67

CDu
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I switched back and forth among several games last night. Some observations:

•Michigan and Indiana stood out among the teams. I really like Michigan. They have some very good talent, including four talented freshmen, are well rounded, share the ball, and they are well coached. By the end of the year, they may be better than Indiana.
•NC State has talent but is their coach capable of pulling it together as a cohesive team?
•UNC looked terrible. I've only seen them play twice but they seem overrated. It won't matter during ACC play because the league is not strong this year.
•Sheehy looked to be a better player than uncle Tom who was mainstay for Virginia several years ago.
•Maryland defended well and destroyed NW on the boards. By my count, they only made seven jump shots but it didn't matter. They will be a very competitive team during ACC play regardless of what Pomeroy thinks.
•Based on the four games I watched, the B1G is the superior league. I'd like to see the ACC do better tonight but I will be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

gw67

I'll be surprised if we even reach 5 wins. I think we're a coin toss against OSU, I'd take Clemson over Purdue, but that's it. I'd take Wisconson (at home) over UVa, MSU over Miami, Illinois (at home) over GT, and PSU (at home) over BC.

Olympic Fan
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
The ACC's chances of winning the challenge took a hit last night -- not just from the 2-4 record in Tuesday's six games -- but also because of this:

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/nov/28/milton-jennings-suspended-accbig-10-clash-purdue/?partner=RSS

I definitely thought Clemson had a chance against Purdue, but Milton Jennings -- the team's best player and senior leader -- has been suspended for the Purdue game after being arrested for possession of weed.

The ACC was favored in just two games tonight -- Duke/Ohio State and Clemson/Purdue.

It's going to be awfully hard to get the four more wins we need to break even in tonight's six games. Virginia at Wisconsin (with Evans still limping) is nearly impossible. BC at Penn State is a longshot with Ryan Anderson limping (which is the reason they lost to Bryant Sunday). Georgia Tech at Illinois is not impossible (Illinois barely survived Gardner Webb Sunday), but it's going to be tough on the road. Michigan State at Miami is as close to a toss up as it gets -- neither team has been that impressive this year .... but I suspect that Tom Izzo's kids are a lot more mentally tough than the Miami kids. At least Miami has the talent to play with a team like Michigan State.

I like Duke's chances, but it's hardly a lock.

The ACC wll be lucky to duplicate last night's 2-4 record.

oldnavy
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Maybe I am just getting old (well, no maybe about that), but I don't have a conference allegiance any longer. Perhaps it has been the years of ridiculous Duke envy, lies, hate, etc... or the fact that UNC and Duke have carried the conference for years. This, combined with the ever shifting composition of conferences has made me a Duke fan. I used to be a Duke and ACC fan, but now I really don't care about anyone but Duke, and of course whomever is playing UNC at the time.

Dukeblue91
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Maybe I am just getting old (well, no maybe about that), but I don't have a conference allegiance any longer. Perhaps it has been the years of ridiculous Duke envy, lies, hate, etc... or the fact that UNC and Duke have carried the conference for years. This, combined with the ever shifting composition of conferences has made me a Duke fan. I used to be a Duke and ACC fan, but now I really don't care about anyone but Duke, and of course whomever is playing UNC at the time.

Can't say there is much wrong with how you feel.

juise
11-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh, Clemson. SMH. (First time I've ever used the abbreviation.) :confused:

Purdue 42, Clemson 22 - Halftime

pfrduke
11-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes, but, Virginia 43, Wisconsin 40, 8:00 to play. That's something.

Edit: 46-40, 7:43 to play. Wa-hoo-wa.

ChrisP
11-28-2012, 08:41 PM

I think I just found my new religion - this...just speaks to me

Dev11
11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes, but, Virginia 43, Wisconsin 40, 8:00 to play. That's something.

Edit: 46-40, 7:43 to play. Wa-hoo-wa.

Virginia puts on a great defensive performance to close the game and win by 6. That team could be something.

sporthenry
11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Virginia puts on a great defensive performance to close the game and win by 6. That team could be something.

About time these new ACC coaches start to produce but can't fail to mention how silent the Kohl center sounded tonight as opposed to when Duke is there.

ACC isn't out of it yet and may not be as bad as originally thought. Miami looks pretty good, if they can hold on versus MSU, the ACC might be able to pull out a tie. They'd probably have to win both Duke/OSU and BC/PSU but I figured it might be over by now.

Jimmy Dykes also just said if he was starting a college program, he'd take Zeller over Plumlee. The fact that Plumlee, a senior, is even in the discussion says a lot to me. Don't hear them talking about Nerlens too much.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Miami up by 10 with 3:37 left to play.

throatybeard
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM

I don't know if I was using the abbrev., but I was Clemson SMH when they lost to Carolina in 2002.

dchen09
11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
So Miami's win rush the court worthy?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Go Canes!

tbyers11
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
So Miami's win rush the court worthy?

Maybe, but they likely don't have enough fans to pull it off anyway:D

pfrduke
11-28-2012, 11:53 PM
While the Ryder Cup rules keep the "winner" as the Big Ten, going 6-6 this year is a moral victory. Kudos to VT, Maryland, Virginia, Miami, BC, and of course Duke for representing the conference well.

uh_no
11-28-2012, 11:56 PM
While the Ryder Cup rules keep the "winner" as the Big Ten, going 6-6 this year is a moral victory. Kudos to VT, Maryland, Virginia, Miami, BC, and of course Duke for representing the conference well.

wow....we just pulled a europe for sure!

but i don't really care about the ACC

duke just beat the pants off OSU in the second half....50 points? I don't care if this is off topic. that was the best ballgame i saw since the '10 title game

CDu
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
If you had told me coming into tonight that Clemson would lose and we'd still wind up at 6-6 for the Challenge, I'd have said you're crazy. Kudos to BC and (especially) Miami and UVa for getting big wins to bail out the conference. And, of course, kudos to us for winning the marquee game of the Challenge, and in somewhat dramatic fashion.

FerryFor50
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
wow....we just pulled a europe for sure!

but i don't really care about the ACC

duke just beat the pants off OSU in the second half....50 points? I don't care if this is off topic. that was the best ballgame i saw since the '10 title game

Definitely. Revenge for the loss last year. Winning by correcting the defense and rebounding. Beating OSU at their own game. Keeping the non-conference streak alive.

And as a bonus, the Heels lost by 30ish. :-D

MarkD83
11-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I guess the Big 10 wins the tie-breaker with the win by Md.

-bdbd
11-29-2012, 01:12 AM
I guess the Big 10 wins the tie-breaker with the win by Md.

I've already asked about a half-dozen MD grad friend whether they had to call out the mounted police to control the riot after MD held on to beat their new Big10 rival Northwestern last night... :rolleyes:

I agree with the general sentiment here, as the ACC really pulled out a very surprising tie in the challenge this year, where all of the prognosticators were picking the Big10 this year, and frequently putting down the ACC. To pull an "upset" in this year, particularly after the MD defection last week, and with the Big10 leading 4-2 after the first night, was quite satisfying. So much for the "superior," more highly ranked Big10 this year! :D :D

uh_no
11-29-2012, 01:29 AM
I've already asked about a half-dozen MD grad friend whether they had to call out the mounted police to control the riot after MD held on to beat their new Big10 rival Northwestern last night... :rolleyes:

I agree with the general sentiment here, as the ACC really pulled out a very surprising tie in the challenge this year, where all of the prognosticators were picking the Big10 this year, and frequently putting down the ACC. To pull an "upset" in this year, particularly after the MD defection last week, and with the Big10 leading 4-2 after the first night, was quite satisfying. So much for the "superior," more highly ranked Big10 this year! :D :D

IMO the big 10 always gets extremely highly ranked, and they are always overranked.

They haven't had a champion since MSU 12 years ago. The have a lot of decent teams, no doubt, but never any really great teams. That fact allows an ACC, which has, at least in my opinon, a lot of mediocre to unknown teams, to beat them in such a 1 on 1 competition.

I think this ends up boiling down to a conversation of "what describes the best conference" which goes to whether you value top teams or top to bottom strength.

Honestly, I think Duke is the best team in the country, and I think the ACC and Big 10 are on par top to bottom, so a wash seems applicable, so a tie makes sense. That said, a single game tournament, like we have, hardly can deteremine conference dominance.

I think this year, the old top 6 conference are all fairly evenly matched in strength. They all either have some top teams or a decent number of alright teams. (except for maybe the pac 10 which has failed to have either for some time). This makes Duke's prospects event more promising.

I'll be honest. i said in may that duke had a title shot. I don't see any team in the country (other than indiana who has played a decidedly inferior schedule to duke's) who is as good as Duke. and if we make the tournament, I will get to as many games as possible.

GO DUKE.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Just to be clear, the Challenge was a 6-6 tie.

Yes, The Big Ten keeps the trophy because of the tie, but they aren't the winners.

Amazing to get the tie after being down 4-2 Tuesday. Biggest kudos to Virginia ... Wisconsin was the biggest single favoite in the entire Challenge. Virginia, getting almost nothing from Jontel Evans, went up and got the win.

I like it we broke their three year winning streak ... and next year we can replace Wake (what an embarrassmnt! with Syracuse.

snowdenscold
11-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I like it we broke their three year winning streak ...

At some point on TV I heard an announcer or commentator make a statement along the lines of "Will the ACC ever win one of these things?"
Such short memories... sure they won the past 3, but we won [the first] 10 in a row before that!

rthomas
11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
By my tie-breaking rules - with Duke beating Minnesota last week and NC state beating Penn State earlier in the season, it is ACC 8, B1G 6.

gw67
11-29-2012, 08:32 AM
This was a terrific ACC/B1G Challenge to watch. Many of the games were very hard fought; we got to see some of the best players in the nation; and the three teams that I have a rooting interest in (Duke, Md and UVA) all won. My observations based on a small sample are as follows:

The Devils are a genuine NCAAT title contender.
The B1G has some legitimate contenders as well (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, and Illinois).
UNC and Mich State are overrated.
Virginia Tech and Maryland are comparable to Florida State and Clemson, maybe better.
Plumlee (Boy, has he improved!), Zeller and Len are three of the best big men in the country.

gw67

Dev11
11-29-2012, 09:12 AM
By my tie-breaking rules - with Duke beating Minnesota last week and NC state beating Penn State earlier in the season, it is ACC 8, B1G 6.

I presume that Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh all get at least one opportunity to knock around Rutgers later this year, right?

pfrduke
11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I presume that Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh all get at least one opportunity to knock around Rutgers later this year, right?

It's so weird to think of those as future ACC vs. Big 10 games. My mind has a very hard time accepting that.

Indoor66
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Just to be clear, the Challenge was a 6-6 tie.

Yes, The Big Ten keeps the trophy because of the tie, but they aren't the winners.

Amazing to get the tie after being down 4-2 Tuesday. Biggest kudos to Virginia ... Wisconsin was the biggest single favoite in the entire Challenge. Virginia, getting almost nothing from Jontel Evans, went up and got the win.

I like it we broke their three year winning streak ... and next year we can replace Wake (what an embarrassmnt! with Syracuse.

unc can never carry the load - too much study time, I guess.

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
It's so weird to think of those as future ACC vs. Big 10 games. My mind has a very hard time accepting that.
I'm with you on that, it doesn't feel right somehow in my mind.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay, a year from now, the ACC will have to choose 12 of 14 teams to go against the 12 Big Ten teams -- Maryland and Rutgers don't join until the next year.

Do we choose our best 12 teams or do we arbitrarily leave Maryland out of the mix? I definitely want to get Syracuse and Pitt into the ACC lineup.

I think the Terps will be decent. Turgeon is recruiting well ... even if Len goes pro, they'll still be solid. But I hate to have them representing the ACC.

ForkFondler
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Rubber match is on:

Louisville vs Rutgers for the BE championship. Go ACC.

-bdbd
11-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Rubber match is on:

Louisville vs Rutgers for the BE championship. Go ACC.

Guess that ACC > Big10 , b/c L'ville beat Rutgers at Rutgers and will apparently represent their conference in the BCS.

:D

sporthenry
11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Guess that ACC > Big10 , b/c L'ville beat Rutgers at Rutgers and will apparently represent their conference in the BCS.

:D
And the beauty of this is that somehow b/c Louisville will not be ranked, if Kent State can jump up to 16,they will somehow kick OU (or Clemson) out of a BCS game. Talk about a convoluted mess. I guess it made sense when they did the BCS b/c one conference didn't want to be shut out but somehow I feel like the more equitable rule would be if you finish ahead of a conference champ, you go instead of them.