PDA

View Full Version : The search for a suitable nick for Rasheed Sulaimon Vigil

moonpie23
11-25-2012, 10:06 AM
this is not so easy......a lot of folks (me included) just have an adversion to calling him "sheed" due to "that other guy"...

so let's get rolling and come up with something that will fit and be cool...

we're going to be referring to him a LOT........so we're gonna NEED one....

Ggallagher
11-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm currently stumped for anything that will sound cool. Nonetheless it looks pretty likely that recycling the 500+ year old nicknames...

"... the Magnificent", or,

"... the Lawgiver"

are going to be quite fitting for Rasheed.

Sadly, they're not any easier to type and not cool by any current standards - but I have no problem thinking of him that way.

YmoBeThere
11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm going out on a limb and calling him Rasheed...part of the nickname thing was due to having to type his name on a phone. I suggest that the owner of the numeric keypad enter the modern era and post with a phone with keyboard(real or displayed). :) Wait, this means someone is still using a Nokia?

pamtar
11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
We could call him Richard.

hudlow
11-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Sooly

rthomas
11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
From Wiki:

Solomon (Hebrew: שְׁלֹמֹה, Modern Shlomo Tiberian Šəlōmō ISO 259-3 Šlomo; Arabic: سليمان‎ Sulaymān, also colloquially: Silimān; Greek: Σολομών Solomōn), according to the Book of Kings and the Book of Chronicles,[2] a King of Israel and according to the Talmud one of the 48 prophets,[3] is identified as the son of David,[4] also called Jedidiah (Hebrew יְדִידְיָהּ) in 2 Samuel 12:25, and is described as the third king of the United Monarchy, and the final king before the northern Kingdom of Israel and the southern Kingdom of Judah split; following the split his patrilineal descendants ruled over Judah alone. In the Qur'an, he is considered as a major Prophet, known as Sulaiman, son of David. The conventional dates of Solomon's reign are circa 970 to 931 BC.
The Hebrew Bible credits Solomon as the builder of the First Temple in Jerusalem,[4] and portrays him as great in wisdom, wealth, and power, but ultimately as a king whose sin, including idolatry and turning away from Yahweh, leads to the kingdom being torn in two during the reign of his son Rehoboam.[5] Sulaimon, now incarnated in the 21st century, is a guard in the game of basketball playing for the Duke Blue Devils under the tutelage of Coach Michael William "Mike" Krzyzewski.

burnspbesq
11-25-2012, 11:00 AM
In the 1950s, his nickname would undoubtedly have been "the Strake Streak."

Fortunately, this is not the 1950s.

Maybe we could call him "agita," which is what he causes for opposing defenses.

moonpie23
11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
In the 1950s, his nickname would undoubtedly have been "the Strake Streak."

Fortunately, this is not the 1950s.

Maybe we could call him "agita," which is what he causes for opposing defenses.

or "the agitator"

Indoor66
11-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I vote that we call him Rasheed. 'Bet that is what his mama calls him.

Newton_14
11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
One of the similarities to Nolan that Rasheed has is he has a bit of that old man gait when walking, which I love. For that reason we could call him "Pops".

For the younger, cooler, texters, we could call him "Raz"...

Furniture
11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
What does the team call him by?

Reilly
11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
'Mon ... b/c he's The Mon!

summerwind03
11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Sulu?

Highlander
11-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Well, then you're a putz. :)

Kedsy
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM

I second this vote. How many times has a nickname made up by the fans stuck? The only nicknames that ever work are whatever a player's friends and teammates already call him.

wilko
11-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Are we doing this based on his play or his name?

If we go by play; then I'd say "BAMF" (Think Samuel Jackson). His mother may not approve, but hes playing like a MAN and not a freshman..

If its based on his name - well then I struggle with that...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Not everyone needs a nickname. Let's see how his season unfolds. Meaningful nicknames emerge from what happens.

DBFAN
11-25-2012, 12:54 PM
From Wiki:

Solomon (Hebrew: שְׁלֹמֹה, Modern Shlomo Tiberian Šəlōmō ISO 259-3 Šlomo; Arabic: سليمان‎ Sulaymān, also colloquially: Silimān; Greek: Σολομών Solomōn), according to the Book of Kings and the Book of Chronicles,[2] a King of Israel and according to the Talmud one of the 48 prophets,[3] is identified as the son of David,[4] also called Jedidiah (Hebrew יְדִידְיָהּ) in 2 Samuel 12:25, and is described as the third king of the United Monarchy, and the final king before the northern Kingdom of Israel and the southern Kingdom of Judah split; following the split his patrilineal descendants ruled over Judah alone. In the Qur'an, he is considered as a major Prophet, known as Sulaiman, son of David. The conventional dates of Solomon's reign are circa 970 to 931 BC.
The Hebrew Bible credits Solomon as the builder of the First Temple in Jerusalem,[4] and portrays him as great in wisdom, wealth, and power, but ultimately as a king whose sin, including idolatry and turning away from Yahweh, leads to the kingdom being torn in two during the reign of his son Rehoboam.[5] Sulaimon, now incarnated in the 21st century, is a guard in the game of basketball playing for the Duke Blue Devils under the tutelage of Coach Michael William "Mike" Krzyzewski.

Perfect

Edouble
11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm gonna keep calling him 'Sheed.

I refer to Rasheed Wallace as Rasheed Wallace. I don't dignify Tarheels with nicknames.

Did you guys call Okulajah, Adi, or whatever the UNC people were calling him? I hope not.

This reminds me a little too much of Jason Williams changing his name to accommodate others. I'm not gonna stop calling Rasheed his natural nickname because of a trash talker from down the street who lingers in irrelevancy on the Knicks bench.

DBFAN
11-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I love the Pops reference. I noticed the way he walks as well was actually worried the first time I saw that, I thought he might have been injured..lol

YmoBeThere
11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
This reminds me a little too much of Jason Williams changing his name to accommodate others.

Wasn't this after one Jayson Williams shot someone ending in their demise?

Native
11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
One of the Crazies' entries... (full disclosure: that's me holding the sign)

Indoor66
11-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Never. Too many letters for the Internet posters.

rthomas
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM

I love it - see my earlier post. But it will obviously be confused with UNC's King Rice.

Jim3k
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Given Rasheed's traditional Irish heritage, it is obvious that we should call him "Sully." Or his traditional Middle-Eastern background, we should call him "Solly." Or due to his traditional clown shoes, we should call him "Silly." Or possibly, due to his androgenous appearance, we should call him "Sally."

Well...since none of those things is true, maybe "Rasheed" will work out better instead. I think he'd like that. I'm sure his parents would, too.

Or, maybe he will sing the Paul Simon lyric: "You can call me Al..."

uh_no
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Given Rasheed's traditional Irish heritage, it is obvious that we should call him "Sully." Or his traditional Middle-Eastern background, we should call him "Solly." Or due to his traditional clown shoes, we should call him "Silly." Or possibly, due to his androgenous appearance, we should call him "Sally."

Well...since none of those things is true, maybe "Rasheed" will work out better instead. I think he'd like that. I'm sure his parents would, too.

Or, maybe he will sing the Paul Simon lyric: "You can call me Al..."

I'm going with Sulu...or "the king"....since its like "king sulaimon(sp)" but shorter!

theAlaskanBear
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Annnnd now, the Sultan of the Silky Stroke, the Top dog of Topkopi, Playing Defense in Diwani, Sulaimon the Magnificent!

mike88
11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I favor plain "Rasheed" but in the first half last night he was "Sulaimon-ster"

Newton_14
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM

Now that is cool! Sulaimon-ster... has a nice ring to it!

the_grad_student
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Not to be confused with the COOK-ie monster (Photo's from last year's game)

David
11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
He keeps playing like this, call the man whatever he wants. FWIW, his twitter handle is @sheed_ctmd1. I'm calling him Sheed.

Cameron
11-25-2012, 11:54 PM
He was a jerk at UNC to be sure, but Rasheed Wallace was one of the smoothest power forwards to ever play the game. At the peak of his powers, Wallace did whatever he wanted to do on the court and scored with beautiful effortlessness from any spot on the floor. He was, without question, one of the purest seven-foot shooters who has ever lived. I followed Portland fairly closely during the late '90s through the Jail Blazers days as the assemblage of talent that was there at one point or another -- Rasheed, Jermaine O'Neal, Brian Grant, Isiah Rider, Steve Smith, Bonzi Wells, Damon Stoudamire, Detlef Schrempf, Arvydas Sabonis, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, Shawn Kemp, Dale Davis, Zach Randolph, Derek Anderson -- was just incredible. They should have won two world titles, at the very minimum. Alas, they just couldn't escape the Lakers because they couldn't escape themselves.

So, honestly, I have no problem calling our Rasheed "Sheed." If that's what his Twitter moniker is, and he prefers being referred to by that nickname, then that's his nickname.

duketaylor
11-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Sheed the Steed.

noworries
11-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Never really thought of this till now, but seems I've found myself calling the dude 'Sheed. Half the syllables...

Also noticed I really like watching him play...Certainly All-ACC caliber if not better if he's at Duke four years, IMO.

uh_no
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Sheed the Steed.

I hope you heard that. She called me a noble steed. She think I'm a steed.

a horse IS a horse...of course....

Jarhead
11-26-2012, 08:27 AM
a horse IS a horse...of course....

... unless it's the famous Mr. Ed. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

davekay1971
11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I love it - see my earlier post. But it will obviously be confused with UNC's King Rice.

I love it specifically because of your earlier post. And don't sweat people being confused. We're Duke. We SHOULD be the ones making references that require some education to understand!

rifraf
11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
All this Sully and Sulaimon-ster talk immediately conjures up images of Sulley from Monsters, Inc in my mind.

Jderf
11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Not usually one to jump in on the nickname/chant talk, but I figured I'd throw out the fact that some of my friends have taken to chanting Suuuuuuu and making an 'S' symbol with their hands, a la Zoubek, every time Sulaimon makes a big play -- which is starting to be rather often. I don't think I'd be too upset if the crazies started doing it.

Kedsy
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I noticed in today's DukeBluePlanet video, Ryan twice called Rasheed "Sheed." So I guess that's the nickname his teammates use, which to me at least suggests we're going to have to live with it.

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
I noticed in today's DukeBluePlanet video, Ryan twice called Rasheed "Sheed." So I guess that's the nickname his teammates use, which to me at least suggests we're going to have to live with it.

I was just about to write the same thing about the video.
So it stands to reason that this is what he wants to be called or at the very least is being called.

wilko
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't think the guys go around calling each other "Goose" and "Maverick" and the like. I could be wrong. but I don't see why we cant have a little supportive good natured fun with it.

I was getting used to the idea of this as a submission:
His 1st name is a reference to Ra - the Sun God
His last name is a Reference to King Solomon.

so how about: "The Prophet" preaching the Duke Gospel and all...

Big Pappa
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Holy Sheed

Dukeblue91
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Holy Sheed

LOL :) why hadn't I thought of that yet.

timmy c
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Holy Sheed

This has some fun derivations...

Take it to the “hole” Sheed…Have a “whole” lotta Sheed…

blazindw
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Count me as one of the minority that doesn't care that Sheed is similar to that which attended UNC (actually one of my favorite Pistons in recent memory and, by default, far and away my favorite player that attended UNC). His teammates call him Sheed, he goes by Sheed...nicknames aren't forced, they're naturally owned. Sheed is that name.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED should be heard after every made basket he has and when he's announced in starting lineup intros. Very simple and he'll know it's for him!

The Gordog
11-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Sulu?

I like this one. Captain Sulu when a longer, more formal form is called for, as by the last movie with the original cast he was a Captain.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I like the nickname Thomas Hill.

TruBlu
11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Holy Sheed

This is perfect. It has his real name with a clever chant for the Crazies.

Also, it can be modified. When (not if) he makes several shots in a row, it can become Hot Sheed

Native
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Holy Sheed and Win Cook? Sounds like a pretty good backcourt to me.

devildeac
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Doubt it but you'll have to ask Rasheed if he's driven a Ford lately.:rolleyes:;)

(Man, I sure hope I have my ancient reference correct.)

moonpie23
11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
the team calls him "sheed", so i'm kewl with that.......Holy Sheed can be used whenever as well..

I'm suggesting "The Iron Chef" for Quinn..........

..............."cooking as the clock runs down".....

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
the team calls him "sheed", so i'm kewl with that.......Holy Sheed can be used whenever as well..

I'm suggesting "The Iron Chef" for Quinn..........

..............."cooking as the clock runs down".....

"Shake and Bake"

Did I just blow your mind? Because That. Just. Happened.

ricks68
11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Holy Sheed and Win Cook? Sounds like a pretty good backcourt to me.

Along with Hot Sheed, they just seem to keep getting better and better!!! (laugh, laugh, laugh):D

Sheed appears to predate Duke, and be his own choice, but we can sure compliment it by adding adjectives that describe how we feel about him from moment to moment. That, I think, would be something new for the Crazies, don't ya think?:cool: Y'all could make up a different adjective to coincide with something, like TruBlu did (Hot Sheed), such as when making more than one three without a miss, a great layup, a steal, a great pass, etc.

ricks

uh_no
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
"Shake and Bake"

Did I just blow your mind? Because That. Just. Happened.

Magic man....and el diablo.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
el diablo.

Is that like a fighting chicken or something?

TruBlu
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Along with Hot Sheed, they just seem to keep getting better and better!!! (laugh, laugh, laugh):D

Sheed appears to predate Duke, and be his own choice, but we can sure compliment it by adding adjectives that describe how we feel about him from moment to moment. That, I think, would be something new for the Crazies, don't ya think?:cool: Y'all could make up a different adjective to coincide with something, like TruBlu did (Hot Sheed), such as when making more than one three without a miss, a great layup, a steal, a great pass, etc.

ricks

Such as when a charge (obviously a bad call) on him: Bull Sheed

El_Diablo
11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Is that like a fighting chicken or something?

With the claws and a beak!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Holy Sheed clap clap, clap clap clap!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
With the claws and a beak!

That's awesome man. You think of that yourself?

Native
11-29-2012, 05:15 PM

ricks

So we have Holy Sheed, Hot Sheed, Tough Sheed, You're In Deep Sheed, Sheed Happens, The Sheed Hit The Fan (for dunks, of course), Sheed Or Get Off The Court, and Full of Sheed.

Good Sheed.

dball
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Not exactly a nickname but Neil Diamond had a song years ago called "Soolaimon". The chorus could be used

Soo, Soolaimon
Soola, Soola Soolaimon

Didn't scroll through entire thread so my apologies if this was already noted.

OldSchool
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
After that second half against Ohio State, I'd call him "ball so Sheed"

mkline09
11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm not a fan of arbitrary nicknames for the sake of giving nicknames and I'm not sure if anyone else has come up with this one yet but how about Sulaimon the Wise.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Split - the - de - fense

Clap, clap, clapclapclap

blazindw
11-30-2012, 09:45 AM
After that second half against Ohio State, I'd call him "ball so Sheed"

Ball So Hard, That Sheed Cray! Ball So Hard, That Sheed Cray!

hudlow
11-30-2012, 10:16 AM
ain'tthatsomesheed?

BDevilU
12-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Super'mon

I sent it to him on Twitter and he liked it enough to RT it.

DukeDevil
12-02-2012, 06:42 AM

You just created a new cheer...

"Su-Lai-Mon-Ster" (clap clap clap-clap-clap)

quahog174
12-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Rasheed "All heed" Sulaimon
take off on All hail, Caesar

slower
12-02-2012, 08:13 AM
He's already called Sheed. Not sure why people feel the need to keep trying to force a bunch of incredibly lame nicknames on him.

moonpie23
12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
He's already called Sheed. Not sure why people feel the need to keep trying to force a bunch of incredibly lame nicknames on him.

just having some fun, debbie.......not trying to FORCE anything on anyone..........sheesh...

slower
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
just having some fun, debbie.......not trying to FORCE anything on anyone..........sheesh...

i see your point, dora......nevertheless, the proposed nicknames are almost all forced and terrible and lame

oldnavy
12-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Tough name to spin a nick name off of. I'll just call him Sheed like his buddies do.

Here's a sugestion for the Crazies. When Rasheed makes a play, one side can chant Raa - SHEED!! and the other side can respond Gesundheitg!!

Or maybe not....

slower
12-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Tough name to spin a nick name off of. I'll just call him Sheed like his buddies do.

Yep. That's kind of my point.

Phoenix22
12-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Sulaimon The Magnificent

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
We have a lot of Irish on the team: Kelly, Murphy, Curry...

I suggest that we continue the trend with Sulaimon - he's Sully in my book.

Edouble
12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
i see your point, dora......nevertheless, the proposed nicknames are almost all forced and terrible and lame

Yeah, but at this point, I don't think that anyone seriously thinks that most of these nicknames have a shot. I mean, I read one post about Sulu from Star Trek. Do you think that Rasheed even knows who Sulu is? I mean, maybe he knows Captain Kirk, maybe... but that show hasn't been rerun in ages. I know they did a reboot a few years back, but still a bit out of date.

Sulaimonster is great though...

gep
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
As another poster mentioned (apologize for not finding the post)... Ryan in the Duke Blue Planet interview consistently referred to "Sheed"... I would assume that that's the team's calling...

So... SHEED!!!

ricks68
12-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Such as when a charge (obviously a bad call) on him: Bull Sheed

Excellent!!! (Sorry to be so late with this.)

ricks

juise
12-05-2012, 02:11 AM
You just created a new cheer...

"Su-Lai-Mon-Ster" (clap clap clap-clap-clap)

I was thinking that instead of the clap sequence afterward, there could be response like "Ate you up!" while pointing to the player who was defending him (or who he stole the ball from or whatever). The cadence would be like the JJ Redick... Dy-na-mite, possibly divided between the grad students and the undergrads. Maybe someone could come up with a better response.

I like it as a cheer, but agree that Sheed is the nickname. First of all, Rasheed Wallace played at UNC while the current players were still watching Sesame Street. I don't see why that should prohibit a 21st century Duke player from using a natural nickname.

rifraf
12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
I was thinking that instead of the clap sequence afterward, there could be response like "Ate you up!" while pointing to the player who was defending him (or who he stole the ball from or whatever). The cadence would be like the JJ Redick... Dy-na-mite, possibly divided between the grad students and the undergrads. Maybe someone could come up with a better response.

I like it as a cheer, but agree that Sheed is the nickname. First of all, Rasheed Wallace played at UNC while the current players were still watching Sesame Street. I don't see why that should prohibit a 21st century Duke player from using a natural nickname.

This is awesome, and the best one I've seen so far!!

rthomas
12-09-2012, 11:41 AM
This is not an endorsement, but the ESPN announcer in this highlight video is calling Rasheed, "Suli".

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323430150

moonpie23
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
i noticed that too......it actually sounded pretty kewl...

NYBri
12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
R-mon would be my suggestion.

devildeac
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I think this may be one of the best things about him:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2011/02/11/new-recruit-sulaimon/

Love the photo, too.

uh_no
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
"he who must not be (nick) named"

Indoor66
12-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, if he must have a name, how 'bout TIP?