PDA

View Full Version : MBB: #5 Duke vs #2 Louisville Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Newton_14
11-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Use the thread for pre/in-game discussion

Championship Games are why kids come to Duke. Tonight should be a thriller. I do worry how much our kids have left in the tank, after two tough games, with the one last night being an endurance test. We need our shots to fall, avoid foul trouble, and continue playing outstanding defense.

Going to be a very difficult task to win this game, but it certainly can be done.

House G
11-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Having not forgotten 2007 and 1986, I'm hoping for more redemption tonight.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Still remember being on the quad in 1986. Wild night.

Can't say that winning or losing this one changes much. Other than always better to win, especially against top coaches and competition. Gotta take care of Miami in fb first, though.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 12:54 PM
one of the best offenses in the country against one of the best defenses in the country.

This one ought to be a beauty.

jv001
11-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Having not forgotten 2007 and 1986, I'm hoping for more redemption tonight.

Yes, pay back big time. I just hope that Donny Marshall is not doing the game. He's the only announcer worse than Len Elmore. He is a uconnvict crybaby. GoDuke!

CDu
11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
This should be a tough game for us. Louisville is, per Pomeroy, the best defensive team in the nation. Offensively, though, they are just okay (#43). They rely heavily on Russ Smith (19.6 points per game) to score. Smith is a terrific shooter (40.5 3pt%, 91.7 ft%) and a menace on defense (3.4 steals per game). But aside from him, nobody else exceeds 10 ppg (Blackshear is next at 10.0). They have 5 guys averaging between 8 and 10 ppg. Nobody else is a huge 3pt threat (Blackshear shoots 30%, Siva 31.6%). The key on defense will be to limit Smith and Blackshear and force the others to beat us, and to not allow them tons of second-chance points. Dieng and Behanon can both pound the glass, combining for 18 rebounds per game.

On offense, we'll have to again be disciplined with the ball (like last night). We'll have to value each possession and take good shots. And when we get the ball inside, we'll have to be cognizant of Dieng, who is a very good shotblocker.

I love that we're getting to play such a tough team early. There's a very real chance we'll lose, but it will be good to see what we've got against the other elites.

KenTankerous
11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I live six blocks from the center of Louisville's campus and let me tell y'all, the 'Ville is abuzz over this game. And scared, mostly. Oddly enough, the most frequent comment I have heard is that Patino has lost his touch or edge.

Tonight should test that as I expect Coach K to be, well, Coach K, and do the things he needs to do from the bench to get the best from his men. But will Patino respond, or, as has been thrown around, shrink in the pressure of it all.

Even if he does rise to the occasion, Louisville loses 72-63 going away.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 01:12 PM
I live six blocks from the center of Louisville's campus and let me tell y'all, the 'Ville is abuzz over this game. And scared, mostly. Oddly enough, the most frequent comment I have heard is that Patino has lost his touch or edge.

Tonight should test that as I expect Coach K to be, well, Coach K, and do the things he needs to do from the bench to get the best from his men. But will Patino respond, or, as has been thrown around, shrink in the pressure of it all.

Even if he does rise to the occasion, Louisville loses 72-63 going away.

Is it just me or is he but 7 months removed from a final four appearance?

KenTankerous
11-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah he is and that is what is baffling about the UofL fans I am hearing.

subzero02
11-24-2012, 01:47 PM
The line opened as a pickem... Louisville is now favored by 1.5 to 2 points. If Plumlee can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 01:50 PM
The line opened as a pickem... Louisville is now favored by 1.5 to 2 points. If Plumlee can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances.

realllly wish we had marshall to fall back on....get well soon!

Blue KevIL
11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
This will be Duke's first game against Louisville since the 1986 National Championship Game.

--AND--

This will be Duke's first game against Rick Pitino since the Laettner Game.

cptnflash
11-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Louisville is an excellent rebounding team, and so far this year, rebounding has been our biggest weakness. We were dominated on the boards by a much smaller VCU team, and were fortunate that they weren't able to turn all those extra shots into extra buckets. I like our chances tonight, because we've proven we can take care of the ball against pressure defense, and I think Louisville will have real trouble scoring against our half court defense. But I'd really like to see us at least fight them to a draw on the boards. If we can do that, I think we win easily.

Waynne
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
This should be a tough game for us. Louisville is, per Pomeroy, the best defensive team in the nation. Offensively, though, they are just okay (#43). They rely heavily on Russ Smith (19.6 points per game) to score. Smith is a terrific shooter (40.5 3pt%, 91.7 ft%) and a menace on defense (3.4 steals per game). But aside from him, nobody else exceeds 10 ppg (Blackshear is next at 10.0). They have 5 guys averaging between 8 and 10 ppg. Nobody else is a huge 3pt threat (Blackshear shoots 30%, Siva 31.6%). The key on defense will be to limit Smith and Blackshear and force the others to beat us, and to not allow them tons of second-chance points. Dieng and Behanon can both pound the glass, combining for 18 rebounds per game.

So, Sulaimon guards Russ Smith? Rasheed appears to be almost as quick as Smith, and has a significant height advantage (6-4 vs. 6-0). If we can limit Smith's scoring and if Seth can play we stand a decent chance of winning a low-scoring game. This will be our toughest match of the season so far; Louisville appears to be much better than Kentucky at this very early point in the season.

Kedsy
11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
So, Sulaimon guards Russ Smith?

Then who guards the 6'5" Blackshear?

Ryan Kelly vs. 6'6", 250 Behanan will be an interesting matchup as well.

Waynne
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Then who guards the 6'5" Blackshear?

Ryan Kelly vs. 6'6", 250 Behanan will be an interesting matchup as well.

Good question; it reveals our significant match-up problems. Smith averages just under 20 pts. while Blackshear averages a team second best 10, so maybe we'll put our best perimeter defender (Sulaimon) on Smith in hope of keeping the game low scoring. If Quin guards Silva and Mason guards Dieng, that leaves 6-5 Blackshear and 6-6 Behanon for Seth (if he plays) and Ryan. I think either Seth or Tyler would have trouble guarding Smith so perhaps we'll roll the dice and put Rasheed on their best scorer and see if Blackshear and Behanon can beat us.

Indoor66
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Good question; it reveals our significant match-up problems. Smith averages just under 20 pts. while Blackshear averages a team second best 10, so maybe we'll put our best perimeter defender (Sulaimon) on Smith in hope of keeping the game low scoring. If Quin guards Silva and Mason guards Dieng, that leaves 6-5 Blackshear and 6-6 Behanon for Seth (if he plays) and Ryan. I think either Seth or Tyler would have trouble guarding Smith so perhaps we'll roll the dice and put Rasheed on their best scorer and see if Blackshear and Behanon can beat us.

Matchup problems at one end ususally mean matchup problems at the other.

Waynne
11-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Usually true but not always. I think we were hurt a few times last year when our smaller perimeter players didn't match-up well with bigger players. It will be fun tonight to see how both coaches handle the match-ups, which on paper don't appear to favor us. Perhaps Coach K will have some surprises.

Native
11-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Big news out of the Bahamas: Louisville center Gorgui Dieng will not play with a wrist injury.

Per the Duke Chronicle's Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/dukebasketball/status/272462515001237504).

Tough break for the Cards.

CDu
11-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Per the Duke Chronicle's Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/dukebasketball/status/272462515001237504).

Wow. If true, that would substantially weaken their interior defense. Dieng is the shotchanger that might have given Plumlee a challenge. I am not sure they have an alternative. That would definitely improve our chances.

freshmanjs
11-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Wow. If true, that would substantially weaken their interior defense. Dieng is the shotchanger that might have given Plumlee a challenge. I am not sure they have an alternative. That would definitely improve our chances.

That is too bad. Much more fun to play them at full strength.

DukieInBrasil
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM

I think the match-up problems that Kelly creates for himself on offense more than cancel out those created on the other end. Most recently Kelly blocked 5 shots vs VCU, i didn't see the game but i wonder how many came from Ryan blocking the shot from the side or behind. He's crafty and if Mason can handle the rotations to block strait drives to the rim and force pull-up jumpers, Ryan might be able to alter or block shots from behind if he gets beat off the dribble. Anyway, Ryan has provided quality production so far and i think he'll cause Louisville match-up problems too.

wilko
11-24-2012, 06:24 PM

WOW!! - Is this for real and not a prank?
Sounds like VCU part 2..

>>> I hope this game doesnt go down to the lat 15 seconds... unless of course we win<<<

Amazing to think how differently Pitino would be viewed if he guarded the in-bounds pass on at least 2 occasions.

UPDATE:
Lots of twitter noise on this and a few links... Looks like the real deal and they arent just "Smith-ing" an injury report

moonpie23
11-24-2012, 07:08 PM
well......cept for the BACK UP that comes in and has a career break out game.....:mad:

grossbus
11-24-2012, 08:09 PM
these guys really like to chuck it up. unless they get uncharacteristically hot, i think our chances are good.

timmy c
11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
anyone have a link for the game?

Aurelius
11-24-2012, 09:10 PM
anyone have a link for the game?

http://www.justin.tv/l1c4cbb with password l1c4

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
That will be key. Those two guys are really quick

slower
11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Tremendously impressive pre-game interview with Alex Oriakhi of Missouri. Kid definitely has a future in broadcasting, if he wants one.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Before we tip off here I would just like to say: Floppity flopping flop. Now, let's hope that's the last time we hear that word tonight ;)

striker219
11-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Before we tip off here I would just like to say: Floppity flopping flop. Now, let's hope that's the last time we hear that word tonight ;)

Drink!

meloveduke
11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I am on the game chat if anyone else wants to join in.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Well, the player intro music is good at least. Pump up the jams!!!

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 09:41 PM
If we win this, are we like the Champions of the state of Kentucky or something? ;) Kings of the Commonwealth maybe?

riverside6
11-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14451

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I was a little afraid of the Louisville defense, but they are much less swarming/hacking than VCU.

I am a little worried that the guy who has played less than 5 minutes this season for Louisville is going to have a career night, though.

Edouble
11-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Concerned that Louisville will not be as fatigued as we may be in the second half if they have been zoning all weekend, and we have been playing 7 guys.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 09:52 PM
love it

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 09:53 PM
remind anyone else of Demarcus? or is it just me?

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 09:56 PM

He reminds me more of Nolan. I think Sheed is better than Demarcus was at this stage of their careers.

JBDuke
11-24-2012, 09:56 PM

It's just you. ;-) Demarcus was super strong and a great rebounder for his size. Rasheed reminds me more of Nolan Smith.

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 09:59 PM
He reminds me more of Nolan. I think Sheed is better than Demarcus was at this stage of their careers.

Something about his style of play just flashed to Demarcus, not sure exactly why. Meh. Not to terp, but the refs are letting them play. My hope is that they keep doing it rather than tighten it up and start calling touch fouls later in the game.

I don't necessarily want to win so we can beat Louisville, but I definitely want to beat Pitino.

Edouble
11-24-2012, 10:00 PM

In what way? I don't see it at all. DeMarcus spent a lot of time under the rim and was sort of husky/linebacker-ish with freaky long arms.

wgl1228
11-24-2012, 10:00 PM
No worries. Just have to get some shots to fall and protect the ball.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Did Donny just call Mason's hook over the double team a "wide open shot"? Where did they find this guy???

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Unathletic Ryan Kelly running the floor after getting an unathletic block!

dchen09

They have similar height and length but different games. Sheed is already a better passer and better shooter than Demarcus ever was. Demarcus is much much stronger and a better rebounder.

Holy crap is Suliamon good.... The only thing I worry about him is we won't have him for very long :(

ChrisP
That was a pretty athletic spin move for an un-athletic guy. Someone better tell Kelly to dial it back a notch.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:06 PM
That was a dumb 2nd foul by Mason. I would rather see him just give up the contested 2 pointer there. Hope Seth's leg is ok - that looked rough :(

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I am happy with our ball movement, and I know Ryan is trying to shoot out of his slump, and..

Oh crap, Mason picked up #2. Nuts.

Anyways, but I'm happy with the way we are playing. It looks like, for lack of a better way to put it, K is trying to conserve us on offense.

And also, Seth is just a machine. You could tell he was hurt, still gets up to shoot the free throws.

HateCarolina
11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
The announcing is much better tonight. I don't even have to mute it.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Alex Murphy in the game and gets a block to start a fast break!

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Mason gets 2, Seth comes out for a rest, Amile and Alex are in, and it looks like that is a run/gun lineup. Lots of defense and transition.

mapei
11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Hope I don't jinx it, but we're playing really well so far.

Les Grossman
making an excellent defensive team look pedestrian

IBleedBlue
Mason gets 2, Seth comes out for a rest, Amile and Alex are in, and it looks like that is a run/gun lineup. Lots of defense and transition.
Man, I am so glad to see Alex Murphy getting some meaningful minutes in a top game finally...

dchen09
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
The announcing is much better tonight. I don't even have to mute it.

Better just because it's not totally 1 sided yet. Still no real insight into the game though.

HateCarolina
11-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Hope I don't jinx it, but we're playing really well so far.

SSHHH!!! Are you crazy?

Keep this up and I may have to wake my kids up and change their Duke shirts. Remember it's only crazy if it doesn't work (ala Bud Light commercials).

Gthoma2a
11-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Very good team. I love that we see Alex out there. I hope he has some good moments that spark something for him. We are playing well so far. We could do very well. I would like to see us use Kelly with Murphy a little more when we are sitting Mason. That would give us 5 potential shooters and some length. Us against penetration has been god so far. Our D is much improved and what we do off of our own penetration is much more effective than last year. I can't say enough how excited I am about this season. Also, isn't it shocking that we hear so much about who is missing for Louisville, but little being said about Seth's leg or Marshall on our bench...

FerryFor50
Too unselfish by Sheed. Should have shot the ball.

dchen09
Ah... thats the freshmen mistake..Suliamon should have just taken it up.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 10:15 PM
oy!!

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 10:16 PM
if that was a flop? His feet were still moving. Marshall says it's a charge. Dork.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Too unselfish by Sheed. Should have shot the ball.

Absolutely! When do you ever pass up a wide open layup? Freshman mistake. Ok, we need to settle down and chill and we got this game, I think but we've committed some dumb fouls. That one on Kelly out near half court was bad and then Cook goes flying into the lane out of control the next time down :(

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Absolutely! When do you ever pass up a wide open layup? Freshmen mistake. Ok, we need to settle down and chill and we got this game, I think but we've committed some dumb fouls. That one on Kelly out near half court was bad and then Cook goes flying into the lane out of control the next time down :(

There's a fine line between confidence and TOO much confidence...

Gthoma2a
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Absolutely! When do you ever pass up a wide open layup? Freshmen mistake. Ok, we need to settle down and chill and we got this game, I think but we've committed some dumb fouls. That one on Kelly out near half court was bad and then Cook goes flying into the lane out of control the next time down :(

Quinn and Sheed are still getting into this team (their roles and the step-up from their previous years), so we have to accept the good and the bad. I have a feeling over time, the good will far outweigh the bad.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Unathletic Ryan Kelly running the floor after getting an unathletic block!

how alarming!

DukieInBrasil
11-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm really surprised at how poorly Ryan is blocking out in this game (perhaps all year). Just now he gave up a tip dunk on an offensive rebound, even though "Flop" Marshall wanted to make the audience believe it was Mason's fault. Ryan does many other things well, but at 6'11, he should be rebounding much better than he does. I get that he plays outside a lot, but as that play indicated, he just doesn't have the drive to be a rebounder.

Edouble
11-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Should have scored it off of Quinn's pass, but gave it to Mason instead. Then when he tried to score it off of Quinn's missed 3, he should have passed it to Mason.

His steals have been great though.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
FANTASTIC move and pass by Sheed in traffic. Too bad Mason couldn't finish...

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Beautiful move by Sulaimon on the break to Mason for what should have been an "and 1" but Mason got hammered and...no call :mad:

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Now THAT was a flop.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Lville taking charges, yet no mention of Flopping

DukieInBrasil
11-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Haven't seen much of Sulaimon's play this year, but i've been impressed with him so far tonight. Good D, steals, mid-range jumpers, 3s, rebounds. Good stuff all around.

dchen09
They've been letting them play all tournament.

Gthoma2a
Beautiful move by Sulaimon on the break to Mason for what should have been an "and 1" but Mason got hammered and...no call :mad:

NO NO NO! When our guys get hammered on, we're supposed to call it a flop! That's the ticket.

cspan37421
Absolutely! When do you ever pass up a wide open layup? Freshman mistake. (

When your name is Mike Krzyzewski and you're playing for Robert M. Knight at Army, and he's told you to not take a shot, no matter what.

I think it may have been this interview:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4824508&categoryid=2378529

but it's been removed.

Not saying Coach K gave the same directive, just that it has happened.

chaosmage
is good for louisville (again) and the guy WAS STILL MOVING. So that's a charge and good defense.

Wanker.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
is good for louisville (again) and the guy WAS STILL MOVING. So that's a charge and good defense.

Wanker.

Just so it's clear, a guy moving doesn't mean it's not a charge...

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Lville taking charges, yet no mention of Flopping

Well, from what I have seen, they have definitely been charges (i.e. lots of contact from our guys)

gcashwell
11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Refs don't matter.

The way duke is playing. I am confident they have the ability to play with anybody. Plus, the chemistry is much better than last year. I am pleased.

striker219
11-24-2012, 10:27 PM
At the buzzer!

FerryFor50
HUGE shot by Curry. Terrible defense by L'ville.

dchen09
Sickkkkk nasssstyyyyy

Gthoma2a
Refs don't matter.

The way duke is playing. I am confident they have the ability to play with anybody. Plus, the chemistry is much better than last year. I am pleased.

I agree. Our guys are really playing at a high level!

chaosmage
At the buzzer - the ice cold assassin!

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Saweeeet! Way to end the half, baybee!!! ;) Feeling pretty good except for Ryan having 3 fouls. And Rasheed...wow. I hope he can keep it going in the 2nd.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Saweeeet! Way to end the half, baybee!!! ;) Feeling pretty good except for Ryan having 3 fouls. And Rasheed...wow. I hope he can keep it going in the 2nd.

Get well soon, marshall!

Its incredible how much better this team is with mason in the lineup. At one point we went small, I think it was

Quinn
Tyler
Seth
Sheed
Josh

and it was ugly. I think the guards are lost with that many guards on the floor and with the offense running through the post so well, its a completely different game. (not to mention we were undersized and weren't able to exploit the mismatches on the other end)

So anyway, we need our bigs to stay out of foul trouble and marshall to get back soon to loosen the load

-jk
11-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Just so it's clear, a guy moving doesn't mean it's not a charge...

No, but moving sideways into the path of an airborne shooter isn't a charge. And he was still moving sideways after Ryan launched.

-jk

Cameron
11-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Rasheed is the third best player/scorer on this team. Hands down. And could potentially be the best by the end of the year. The kid is criminally underrated and tonight the rest of the country is finding out why.

Dukeface88
11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I like what I'm seeing so far - lots of intesity. We're outboarding and outshooting them. We hit threes at our usual rate and this is a blow out.

Watching it on Justintv, the Cards fans in chat are hillarious. Constantly complaining about the refs when they have 4 fouls to our 9.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:34 PM
No, but moving sideways into the path of an airborne shooter isn't a charge. And he was still moving sideways after Ryan launched.

-jk

I didn't think he was moving. But I did think he fell without much contact at all.

mapei
11-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Rasheed is the third best player/scorer on this team. Hands down. And could potentially be the best by the end of the year. The kid is criminally underrated and tonight the rest of the country is finding out why.

I thought he was highly regarded. No?

Edouble
11-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Donny:

--no mention of flops

--said that Rasheed is one of the top 2/3 freshmen in all of college hoops ('Bazz, Noel, and Sulaimon?)

--noted with 58.1 seconds left in the first half that the chess match on the sidelines between the coaches has already begun. Well... yeah.

Curry's 3 was magnificent. Thought we missed on some easy opportunities, but overall very pleased with the steals and with Mason's smart defense with 2 fouls. I noticed that Alex Murphy shot/missed a 3 and on the rebound Hairston made a dumb foul (pushing the Louisville player who got the ball from behind). Kelly and Mason immediately went back in the game.

HateCarolina
11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, from what I have seen, they have definitely been charges (i.e. lots of contact from our guys)

I agree. I think this game has definitely been called fairly and evenly. Just hoping we can adjust and continue to play great in the second half. I'm glad to see our bench offering good support to our starters with rebounding, etc. And someone else said it yesterday, but Suilamon is a rare freshman in that I have confidence in him when he has the ball in his hands. I do wish he would have taken the earlier chippy instead of the extra pass to Mason. Could that be him respecting Mason's leadership/seniority? Maybe too much?

RoyalBlue08
11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I really like the makeup of this year's team. This starting lineup is well balanced and talented at all five spots. We we got three high energy guys off the bench in Josh, Tyler, and Amile who all work their butt off and play D. And the chemistry seems to be great. I don't know how many games they are going to win, but I think I will feel optimistic going into each and every game this season.

IBleedBlue
11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
That channel from Justin TV is now closed. It was being broadcasted by a Louisville fan. May be he didn't feel like broadcasting this game anymore.

DukeBlueHeart4
11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Is there somewhere besides the justintv link to watch this? Apparently it was shut down.

dukelion
11-24-2012, 10:43 PM
That channel from Justin TV is now closed. It was being broadcasted by a Louisville fan. May be he didn't feel like broadcasting this game anymore.

First Row Sports.....works every time.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/155231/1/watch-5-duke-vs-2-louisville.html

Ultrarunner
Is there somewhere besides the justintv link to watch this? Apparently it was shut down.

moonpie23
am i just over anxious? or does this time out seem long?

Cameron
11-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I thought he was highly regarded. No?

He was a top 15 player coming out of high school, yes. Just in in terms of the recognition that Kentucky and UCLA's freshman classes got, among others, I definitely don't think Rasheed has been getting enough credit nationally. He's going to be recognized now.

Newton_14
11-24-2012, 10:45 PM
It crashed on me too. Dang it. This was my first experience of watching a game online and actually it went really well. No skipping or buffering. If someone has another link please post it.

Thank you,

Your friendly Moderator,
N_14:)

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 10:46 PM
http://atdhenet.tv/55657/watch-duke-vs--louisville

Gthoma2a
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
He didn't hit them both, but it is so nice to know that he has a high percentage chance at hitting his free throws this year. That is one of Mason's biggest improvements.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Curry is taking some ill-advised 3s...

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
guys are quick

Gthoma2a
11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
guys are quick

So are ours! Sulaimon on the break!

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
We get hit on a lot of layup attempts...

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Ball touches anyone's foot, is it a kick? Or just the defense? Thanks.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Only if there is intent to kick.

JBDuke
11-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Only if there is intent to kick.

Pretty sure it's only on the defense as well.

DukeBlueHeart4
11-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Thanks! :D

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Plumlee is controlling the defensive boards...

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 10:58 PM
by mason

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Now THAT was a flop by the L'ville big man vs. Cook. Of course, no mention by Donny.

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Now THAT was a flop by the L'ville big man vs. Cook. Of course, no mention by Donny.

And good no call by the refs to see it.

JBDuke
11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
One of the biggest differences I see in Mason's play so far this year, besides the obvious improvement at the line, is that his post moves are tending much more often to be TOWARDS the basket instead of away from it. In previous years, I've been frustrated to see him fading away or drifting across the lane. Not so much this year.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM

I need a drink!

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I need a drink!

I think he got a talking to after last night's debacle...

slower
Siva is killing us coming off those screens. Otherwise, a good effort. Kelly is putting up some tough shots.

Les Grossman
One of the biggest differences I see in Mason's play so far this year, besides the obvious improvement at the line, is that his post moves are tending much more often to be TOWARDS the basket instead of away from it. In previous years, I've been frustrated to see him fading away or drifting across the lane. Not so much this year.

He's had a heck of an off season, evidently

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Siva is killing us coming off those screens. Otherwise, a good effort. Kelly is putting up some tough shots.

Siva kills everyone off the screens. As long as he keeps throwing up wild shots, I'll take it.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:07 PM
That foul by Rasheed was a lot less contact on a layup than I've seen most of the night...

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:08 PM
And that travel call on Mason was probably the worst call I've seen tonight. What happened to the 1st half refs?

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 11:09 PM
my impression was that one had to have the ball to travel with it.

We need to calm it back down, getting too rushed and panicky on defense. Breathe boys.

mapleleafdevil
11-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow. Mason's freakish athleticism sure camouflages the fact that he is a terrible basketball player.

wgl1228
This game should not be close. Play smart guys!

lotusland
And that travel call on Mason was probably the worst call I've seen tonight. What happened to the 1st half refs?

Pretty sure he traveled

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I thought the guy who did the reach-in foul knocked the ball loose. I think that's what K was talking about as they went to break, too. And I know they're letting them play in Atlantis, but that big white dude for Louisville is clearly fouling Mason on his post moves. They need to call the obvious ones like that.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Pretty sure he traveled

Before or after the foul? And before or after he dropped the ball?

slower
11-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Cook is making too many bad decisions.

ChrisP
What a dumb shot by Cook! 1 on 3, dude? Seriously?

uh_no
quinn gotta know when to pull up on the fast break...

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Cook needs to chill and let the game come to him. And are we allergic to rebounds all of a sudden or what???

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 11:14 PM
a "charge" on Cook, and then the guy hooks to get around the defender. Stupid.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Guess they missed the hook on Smith on the layup.

Gotta settle this game down!

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Ugh, we cannot BUY a three! :mad:

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Nevermind. Nice forearm shiver on Mason though on that made three (no call, of course!)

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Seth is taking some bad shots this game ever since landing on his injured leg in the 1st... needs to be smarter with the ball.

slower
11-24-2012, 11:19 PM
This team's collective basketball IQ seems to be decreasing as the game wears on. Lots of stupid shots. And, once again, Siva can get to the rim at will. It's far over, of course, but I really thought we'd maintain that 8-10 point working margin. And Mason needs to remember to NOT put the ball on the floor.

DukieInBrasil
11-24-2012, 11:19 PM
this game turned when we went up 9, then we relaxed, and L'ville really took hold of that change in energy.
Curry is just off tonight, thankfully he can hit FTs cuz he hasn't really hit anything else.
Scrappy game. Nice to see Cook hit a straitaway 3.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Duke has been getting outworked this half. They had a decent rebounding edge, but they've lost that. They're also not shooting as well now and making bad decisions.

DukieInBrasil
11-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Mason needs to realize that he still only has 2 fouls, and that he can be more aggressive in the paint.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:22 PM
This team's collective basketball IQ seems to be decreasing as the game wears on. Lots of stupid shots. And, once again, Siva can get to the rim at will. It's far over, of course, but I really thought we'd maintain that 8-10 point working margin. And Mason needs to remember to NOT put the ball on the floor.

Third game against the third well-coached team in three days. I think guys are just a bit tired. What in the &*&%$ was Kelly trying there? That was a HORRIBLE shot and an even worse acting job on the faux foul.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 11:22 PM
helps with rebounding!

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Duke really has trouble with goon-type players...

HateCarolina
11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Mason needs to realize that he still only has 2 fouls, and that he can be more aggressive in the paint.

I've been thinking the same thing. And now Cook is throwing dudes around down low to pick up his 4th. WTF??

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Death from above

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:26 PM
curry with a huge 3! He made up for that bad decision to drive into traffic on the previous possession.

graybead
11-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Is Seth's dad at the game? I love the Curry's, but good Lord, I've seen more shots of Del Curry than I have of Coach K!

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Man. TWO flops on the press by the Cards. Stop rewarding it!

mapei
We seem more fatigued than they do.

ChrisP
This officiating is getting ridiculous! Totally different style from the first half - at least it seems that way to me. The refs let it go when they slap at the ball and body our guys, but not when Duke does it on the other end.

Edouble
11-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Is Seth's dad at the game?

HA HA HA HA!!!

Dumb fouls by Quinn and now Tyler. Feel good with 3 minutes left. Kelly looks like he is telling everyone to leave everything on the floor. Go Duke!

HateCarolina
11-24-2012, 11:30 PM
I think both teams can pull out all of the stops and find those reserves and the drive to finish off what has been an awesome game.

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Wow, Donny no mention of an absolute terrible call where TT did nothing?

And nobody told me the Miss America contestants would be there. I definitely would have went.

Wow, another offensive foul. Whistles starting to be fast and quick against Duke. Worst one yet and Donny calls it an easy one.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Ok, it's winning time! And time to stop pushing off by our guards. Jeez!

NM Duke Fan
11-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I can hardly recall a game where the Duke guards have committed so many foolish push off fouls right under the baskets. What on earth was Curry thinking??

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Kelly with a CLEAN block! WTH was that call???

mapei
11-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Do we even teach boxing out for rebounds?

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I can hardly recall a game where the Duke guards have committed so many foolish push off fouls right under the baskets. What on earth was Curry thinking??

Usually that is the response when the other team is grabbing. Curry didn't do much as he didn't fully extend the arm, just more the elbow which is rarely called.

Bad no box out after bad call but smart play by Kelly to get an easy 2.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Kelly with a CLEAN block! WTH was that call???

Aaaannnnd ANOTHER clean block by Kelly that's called a foul.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Sigh. Ryan got robbed.

mapei
11-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Sigh. Ryan got robbed.

On the 4th, not sure about the 5th.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:39 PM
On the 4th, not sure about the 5th.

5th was close. 4th was a sham-mockery.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:39 PM
We better hold it here for a good shot. Three point lead with a min to go - no reason to rush.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:40 PM
HUGE shot by Quinn!

slower
Cook! ONIONS!!!!!

mapei
HUGE shot by Cook.

ChrisP
HUUUUUUUGE shot by Quinn Cook!!! Way to knock it down, young fella!!! ;)

dchen09
Quiiiinnnnnnnnnn coooook!!!!!!

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 11:41 PM
That's one of those shots that if he makes it, we love him, and if not, we're like "Come on Quinn!" Either way, good recovery from an obviously broken play.

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 11:42 PM
That Tyler takes to the face on that last play, but I guess it was a flop.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:42 PM
That Tyler takes to the face on that last play, but I guess it was a flop.

He should have fallen. Then maybe he gets the call. :)

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 11:43 PM
That's one of those shots that if he makes it, we love him, and if not, we're like "Come on Quinn!" Either way, good recovery from an obviously broken play.

Yeah, I was surprised he didn't give it to Curry but this is how these guys get our trust. He looks a bit like a seasoned veteran. Could have given those FT shots to Curry as well but he seems to be confident with the ball in his hands.

Cook really does seem to have grown as many of us had hoped and will drive this team.

FerryFor50
11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
I kind of wish Mason would challenge those Siva layups this late in the game. At worst, he has to shoot FTs. At best, he ends the game with a block or forcing a miss.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I was surprised he didn't give it to Curry but this is how these guys get our trust. He looks a bit like a seasoned veteran. Could have given those FT shots to Curry as well but he seems to be confident with the ball in his hands.

Cook really does seem to have grown as many of us had hoped and will drive this team.

Has mason come far enough that we want him to be taking the shots from the charity stripe down the stretch?

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Man, let's get this OVER with! Need to get it in, of course, and then 1 FT should seal it. 2 would be nice though :D

FerryFor50
Has mason come far enough that we want him to be taking the shots from the charity stripe down the stretch?

Uh.... no. :)

mr. synellinden
Check out our balanced scoring. Amazing.

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 11:46 PM

No, I was more talking about Cook. But Mason has come far enough (and we have no other options) that at the end of the game, he isn't a liability out there in a close game that if he gets the rebound, I don't mind him being fouled.