PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 D-League Thread

awhom111
11-23-2012, 11:56 PM
This is always the thread that I do not want to start each basketball season, but it looks like Miles Plumlee will be playing a couple games with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants before rejoining the Pacers. Tonight his team lost to the Erie Bayhawks 109-100 and Miles had 5 points and 12 rebounds in 27 minutes. Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121123/ERIFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200002

A lot of D-League games are being streamed live on YouTube this year if they are not on television and here is the full replay of this game from the league's YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeE1k2uOdE&feature=plcp

awhom111
11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Miles had 23 points and 7 rebounds in 29 minutes as Fort Wayne lost 117-112 to the Maine Red Claws. It was a game with plenty of other interesting players like Fab Melo. Here are the links to the boxscore and the full YouTube video:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121125/MNEFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4EIW0cRdU&feature=plcp

subzero02
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the updates... Hopefully Miles can make his way back to the Pacers soon.

Newton_14
11-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the updates... Hopefully Miles can make his way back to the Pacers soon.

He will actually. Indiana is rotating 3 or 4 of the non-rotation players on their roster in and out of the D-League, to help them get experience on the court. My understanding is they plan to do this throughout the year. So it isn't a case of being "demoted".

Good to hear Miles had that strong outing. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Dev11
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Miles has been recalled for the Pacers' upcoming road trip, per a tweet from the Pacers.

Go get 'em, big dude!

awhom111
12-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Miles is back in the D-League for a string of games. He and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants lost 107-104 to the Maine Red Claws. Miles had 10 points, 17 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 35 minutes. Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121214/MNEFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200055

Here is the YouTube link for the full game film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBrOxS2wmho

It looks like you may also be able to catch the next game, Saturday at 7:30 pm Eastern against the Springfield Armor, live on YouTube as well.

hq2
12-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Don't worry about Miles, he'll be fine. They're just sending him down to get some P.T. and to better learn the pro game. I'd say by March or
April he'll be getting quality minutes, (hopefully) at 'ol Handsblow's expense, who is down a bit on the Pacers depth chart.

awhom111
12-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Miles had a good game as he had 28 points and 10 rebounds in 42 minutes in a 95-85 win over the Springfield Armor.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121215/SPGFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200060

Here is the link to the YouTube video of the full game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zBObrUatU

DukieInBrasil
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
LT set a good precedent for what can happen for former Blue Devils in the NBDL, as well as McRoberts. Both played in the NBDL to get their skills up to a higher level and become consistent performers, rather than riding the pine the whole time in the Show. Both now have NBA careers, rather than just "cups of coffee". McRoberts has been in the Show for a while now, never a star and sometimes even a regular DNP-CD, but still on rosters and still gets in games. Lance, OTOH, has become a key reserve player (albeit on a terrible team) and seems to be the type of guy that, through sheer work, will be in the NBA for years to come.
So Miles, with his amazing physical prowess, may very well come out of the NBDL experience with a much better NBA future than if had simply sat the pine in the Show. Although Miles doesn't really approximate either LT or JM, with better physical tools than LT and less "skill" than JM, i see Miles coming out of this experience withe potential to have a productive career in the NBA.

I sometimes wonder what players like Shavlik, Carrawell and Demarcus might have been able to accomplish if they had spent significant time in the NBDL. Shav, played some in the NBA off and on for a few years, but it seems like that ankle injury may have finally ended his hopes for an NBA salary. Carawell's pro career came to an end prior to the NBDL, i think. Demarcus has found a decent career in Europe, which paid off well for Trajan Langdon, and his weird tweener status may have doomed in the League anyway.

johnb
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
I sometimes wonder what players like Shavlik, Carrawell and Demarcus might have been able to accomplish if they had spent significant time in the NBDL. Shav, played some in the NBA off and on for a few years, but it seems like that ankle injury may have finally ended his hopes for an NBA salary. Carawell's pro career came to an end prior to the NBDL, i think. Demarcus has found a decent career in Europe, which paid off well for Trajan Langdon, and his weird tweener status may have doomed in the League anyway.

Isn't Overseas roughly the equivalent of the NBDL? Is the NBDL coaching and experience really seen as better than that available in Europe, Israel, etc?

Looking only at their basketball skills, Demarcus lacked the height and shot to make it as a 2 guard, and he simply wasn't a point. If the NBA had warrior positions, then he would be All World; as it was, I never thought he had much of a chance. Carrawell was a taller but also lacked a killer outside shot, an ability to distribute, or any other NBA-level skillset. We've had a lot of great college players (Trajan, Nate, etc etc) who succeed on a strong team but were never serious contenders for becoming a core NBA player. Those who make it simply have to have some sort of freakish talent. That's not to say we're bad at developing people--I think we're good at it. It's just that there are so few openings in the NBA rotation, and the top 100 players in the league don't change all that much from year to year (how old is Tim Duncan, like 50?), and there are only so many Kyrie's to go around.

licc85
12-17-2012, 10:44 PM
There's such a stigma amongst people who follow the NBA about the D-League. Even the term "D-League" sounds like something derogatory. However, I've changed my mind about it since I've been following Lance's success story through the NBDL. Miles' case sounds more like an opportunity to gain confidence through playing. As a first round pick, I'd find it hard to believe that the Pacers aren't considering him as a future rotation player. I just wish Jon Scheyer would have had an opportunity to make a roster and possibly develop through the NBDL. I still think he's capable of being a good player in the NBA, and it's been frustrating to see how injury has somewhat stagnated what looked like a really promising pro career for him.

awhom111
12-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Miles had 6 points and 6 rebounds in 22 minutes today as Fort Wayne lost 97-87 to the Canton Charge.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121218/CTNFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200068

Here is the full game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXlI-ieVclo

hq2
12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
There's such a stigma amongst people who follow the NBA about the D-League. Even the term "D-League" sounds like something derogatory. However, I've changed my mind about it since I've been following Lance's success story through the NBDL. Miles' case sounds more like an opportunity to gain confidence through playing. As a first round pick, I'd find it hard to believe that the Pacers aren't considering him as a future rotation player.

Well, of course it's the basketball minor leagues, AAA for B ball if you will. Like playing major league
baseball, there are a lot of things you have to learn to be a good NBA player. The tempo, skill level, offensive ball movement, and defensive rotations are different, and guys have to learn the pro game.
And, certain guys need to work on certain skills to get them to an NBA level. The better way to do it, rather than watching from the end of the bench, is to be out playing against (nearly) NBA level comp. Miles is going to get much better doing that in the D league rather than sitting on the bench watching Handsblow in Indianapolis (don't know if you can do that too long; pretty ugly). Looking forward to him being a quality, well skilled NBA player.

niveklaen
12-19-2012, 01:21 AM
I like how Indiana just came out and announced at the beginning of the season that they were going to rotate three guys through the D-League. I think that took a lot of the stigma out of it. We were worried/dismayed when McRoberts was sent down to the D-league because we saw it as a bad sign but our reaction to Miles going there has been very positive

Dev11
12-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Well, of course it's the basketball minor leagues, AAA for B ball if you will. Like playing major league
baseball, there are a lot of things you have to learn to be a good NBA player. The tempo, skill level, offensive ball movement, and defensive rotations are different, and guys have to learn the pro game.
And, certain guys need to work on certain skills to get them to an NBA level. The better way to do it, rather than watching from the end of the bench, is to be out playing against (nearly) NBA level comp. Miles is going to get much better doing that in the D league rather than sitting on the bench watching Handsblow in Indianapolis (don't know if you can do that too long; pretty ugly). Looking forward to him being a quality, well skilled NBA player.

One key difference, though, as traditionally, players get drafted to the NBA and are immediately in the big leagues, unlike in baseball which such immediate appearance on the big stage is extremely rare. In basketball, if you get sent to the D-League, your chances of playing lots of minutes in the NBA are quite slim, although it appears Indiana is bucking that trend by rotating their rooks through the NBDL because their roster is cluttered.

Billy Dat
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Isn't Overseas roughly the equivalent of the NBDL? Is the NBDL coaching and experience really seen as better than that available in Europe, Israel, etc?

I think the most substantial difference between the NBDL in Europe is long term earning prospects. Unless you have a contract from a NBA team, playing in the D-League pays little...like between $20K-$40K per season. On the other hand, overseas contracts are certainly better (although there have been horror stories about actually getting paid, but those issues have apparently gotten better the past 10 years), and being visible in the European leagues makes it more likely that you will be a known quantity that can build a 10 year+ career overseas. So, I think a lot of borderline NBA players who can deal with being away from home for big portions of the year often decide to go all in for Europe rather than waste prime earning years hoping that the NBDL will lead to the NBA. I also think NBA scouting in Europe has gotten much more comprehensive so there is less "out of sight out of mind" risk. If a player is killing it in Europe, NBA teams will likely come calling. But, I think the Americans that thrive overseas and get comfortable with living abroad tend to stay comfortable. They are big stars making big money, bigger stars then the would be in the NBA. I think the other difference, though, is the amount of time spent practicing and the style of offense played. Most European teams practice far more then NBA teams and the offensive sets are much heavier on extended continuity resulting in the desired shot after 5-6 passes. Norman Dale would love it, Mike D'Antoni, not so much. That's painting with a broad brush, but in general I think the Europeans coach a much more team based offense.

One key difference, though, as traditionally, players get drafted to the NBA and are immediately in the big leagues, unlike in baseball which such immediate appearance on the big stage is extremely rare. In basketball, if you get sent to the D-League, your chances of playing lots of minutes in the NBA are quite slim, although it appears Indiana is bucking that trend by rotating their rooks through the NBDL because their roster is cluttered.

This is changing quite a bit as NBA teams have bought NBDL teams and are using them as true minor league outfits. The Rockets and Spurs were two of the first to go this direction, you may recall Quin Snyder coaching the Spurs NBDL team, the Austin Toros. Those affiliated NBDL teams run the same offenses and defenses as the big club which makes the transition up and down much easier and effective. Getting sent to the D-League for a stretch of games is not a big deal anymore for teams with those affiliates, I think you'll see it happening more and more.

Dev11
12-19-2012, 09:38 AM
This is changing quite a bit as NBA teams have bought NBDL teams and are using them as true minor league outfits. The Rockets and Spurs were two of the first to go this direction, you may recall Quin Snyder coaching the Spurs NBDL team, the Austin Toros. Those affiliated NBDL teams run the same offenses and defenses as the big club which makes the transition up and down much easier and effective. Getting sent to the D-League for a stretch of games is not a big deal anymore for teams with those affiliates, I think you'll see it happening more and more.

One thing I don't understand, though, is how the contracts work regarding the NBDL. I know that players in the NBDL get those 10-day contracts, but how does it work for guys in the league (Miles, for instance, who has a guaranteed deal as a first-rounder)? In baseball, you get a certain number of non-injury trips to the minors and have a limited service time there before the club has to make choices.

sagegrouse
12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
One thing I don't understand, though, is how the contracts work regarding the NBDL. I know that players in the NBDL get those 10-day contracts, but how does it work for guys in the league (Miles, for instance, who has a guaranteed deal as a first-rounder)? In baseball, you get a certain number of non-injury trips to the minors and have a limited service time there before the club has to make choices.

We also should track the progress of one-time wunderkind, Kendall Marshall, as he labors in the fields for the Bakersfield Jam. Marshall, drafted by the Suns, was sent down at the end of November. Ed Cota, anyone?

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
12-19-2012, 11:27 AM

I had to look it up and found this informative NBDL FAQ
http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

Here's a relevant segment:

"NBA Assignments:
NBA teams can assign players who are rookies or in their second season to their D-League affiliate. Players can stay with the D-League affiliate for as long as the NBA team wishes, and be recalled back to the NBA at any time. NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose. Starting in 2012–13, there will be no limit to the number of times an NBA player with two years or less experience can be assigned to the D-League. Since the 2011–12 season, veteran NBA players (three-plus years of NBA experience) can be assigned with their consent. An NBA player will continue to be paid his NBA salary and will continue to be included on his NBA team's roster on the inactive list while playing in the D-League."

Dev11
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I had to look it up and found this informative NBDL FAQ
http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

Here's a relevant segment:

"NBA Assignments:
NBA teams can assign players who are rookies or in their second season to their D-League affiliate. Players can stay with the D-League affiliate for as long as the NBA team wishes, and be recalled back to the NBA at any time. NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose. Starting in 2012–13, there will be no limit to the number of times an NBA player with two years or less experience can be assigned to the D-League. Since the 2011–12 season, veteran NBA players (three-plus years of NBA experience) can be assigned with their consent. An NBA player will continue to be paid his NBA salary and will continue to be included on his NBA team's roster on the inactive list while playing in the D-League."

Thanks for the info. I wonder if any GMs/owners consider the cost/benefit of taking a one-and-done and stashing him for two years rather than taking a 3 or 4 year college player? I imagine the 1-and-done is slightly less mature but probably comes up eventually with more basketball skills, since he isn't forced to focus on school for two years. Either way, I'm glad they're moving to a system that values the NBDL a little more, and hopefully it means there's more quality basketball on television to go to. I know I enjoy going to minor league baseball, but from what I've heard/read about the NBDL, it's not high on quality.

hq2
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I like how Indiana just came out and announced at the beginning of the season that they were going to rotate three guys through the D-League. I think that took a lot of the stigma out of it. We were worried/dismayed when McRoberts was sent down to the D-league because we saw it as a bad sign but our reaction to Miles going there has been very positive

There's a major difference between Miles and McBobs D-league experience. McBobs came up as a first rounder, expected to do something in the pros right away for a not very good team. His being sent down had as much to do with his attitude (not that good) as well as his not-quite-ready-for NBA skill set, and he didn't take it well.

Miles was not considered a likely first round pick by most observers, and is grateful he got it anyway. He never expected to play a lot for the Pacers right away (a good team), and was projected as a project due to his not completely developed skill set. I think also he saw how much (ex-teammate) Lance developed in the D league, and realized that this is his opportunity to develop needed pro skills. Most people expect it to be a positive experience for him, and for him to emerge as an NBA level player in a reasonable length of time.

jimsumner
12-19-2012, 02:24 PM
There's a major difference between Miles and McBobs D-league experience. McBobs came up as a first rounder, expected to do something in the pros right away for a not very good team. His being sent down had as much to do with his attitude (not that good) as well as his not-quite-ready-for NBA skill set, and he didn't take it well.

Miles was not considered a likely first round pick by most observers, and is grateful he got it anyway. He never expected to play a lot for the Pacers right away (a good team), and was projected as a project due to his not completely developed skill set. I think also he saw how much (ex-teammate) Lance developed in the D league, and realized that this is his opportunity to develop needed pro skills. Most people expect it to be a positive experience for him, and for him to emerge as an NBA level player in a reasonable length of time.

Josh McRoberts was picked in the second round of the 2007 draft. So, Miles Plumlee was actually a higher draft pick than McRoberts.

hq2
12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Josh McRoberts was picked in the second round of the 2007 draft. So, Miles Plumlee was actually a higher draft pick than McRoberts.

My mistake; been a while. I remember him being more highly regarded, however.

COYS
12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
My mistake; been a while. I remember him being more highly regarded, however.

He was more highly regarded coming out of high school. In fact, he was the number 1 recruit. His profile was initially similar to Anthony Davis in that he was once a guard who had a late growth spurt in high school and became a forward who still retained his guard skills and agility. After his freshman year, he was projected to be a top 10 pick if he had decided to declare. However, after his mixed second season at Duke (good numbers but he failed to show consistent scoring moves or willingness to play through contact . . . plus his back injuries were a red flag), he fell out of the first round.

hq2
12-20-2012, 01:11 PM
He was more highly regarded coming out of high school. In fact, he was the number 1 recruit. His profile was initially similar to Anthony Davis in that he was once a guard who had a late growth spurt in high school and became a forward who still retained his guard skills and agility. After his freshman year, he was projected to be a top 10 pick if he had decided to declare. However, after his mixed second season at Duke (good numbers but he failed to show consistent scoring moves or willingness to play through contact . . . plus his back injuries were a red flag), he fell out of the first round.

McBobs was always to me one of the great sad "what ifs" of Duke Basketball. His first two years at Duke were very similar to Danny Ferry's. They both were about 6-10, had mixed guard/forward skills, came in highly regarded, and played as freshman role players on teams with Senior All Conference/American players. Both as sophomores were expected to step up and carry the team, and neither did as much as hoped, posting fairly similar statistics (Ferry scored a little more). In fact, Ferry his sophomore year was all but forgotten in the hoopla over J.R. Reid.

The difference was that Ferry stayed four and developed a lot his last two years, and McBobs didn't. In retrospect, I think both Duke, who did not make the final four in either of the next two years, and McBobs, who was not ready for the NBA, did not go in the first round, and bounced around in the D league, both regret his decision to leave early. Both sides lost patience with the other. If they could have recognized how much they had to offer each other (I mean, do you really think McBobs was better off in the D-League rather than showcasing himself for a lottery pick as a potential Duke All-American?), they both could have been much the better for staying together. It was a sad ending for what could have been a great (or near-great) Duke career.

awhom111
12-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Miles was back with Fort Wayne in time for their game against the Erie BayHawks. Miles had 16 points and 15 rebounds in 43 minutesas they won 107-83. I would do the normal linking thing but this is a little difficult in mobile posting. The full game is up on YouTube.

Newton_14
12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
We also should track the progress of one-time wunderkind, Kendall Marshall, as he labors in the fields for the Bakersfield Jam. Marshall, drafted by the Suns, was sent down at the end of November. Ed Cota, anyone?

sagegrouse

Great point Sage. Kendall made a huge mistake coming out in terms of where he was as a basketball player. I get that he took advantage of being over-hyped and turned it into a quick pay day, but he would have been much better off spending the full 4 years in College. To me he is in the Will Avery danger zone and may never sniff a second NBA contract. His game fits much better with the Euro League anyway, so maybe it would not have mattered, but I still think he made a bad decision. Hope he invests well....

NSDukeFan
12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Great point Sage. Kendall made a huge mistake coming out in terms of where he was as a basketball player. I get that he took advantage of being over-hyped and turned it into a quick pay day, but he would have been much better off spending the full 4 years in College. To me he is in the Will Avery danger zone and may never sniff a second NBA contract. His game fits much better with the Euro League anyway, so maybe it would not have mattered, but I still think he made a bad decision. Hope he invests well....

Not a financial reason, but Marshall had a chance at being a college legend had he stuck around and challenged Hurley's all-time assist mark.

CharlestonDevil
12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Not a financial reason, but Marshall had a chance at being a college legend had he stuck around and challenged Hurley's all-time assist mark.

So Marshall leaves early, doesn't break Hurley's record, and (at least as of now) appears to be an NBA bust?

Good. Win for us. I would also like to point out that his injury during the Big Dance last year most likely cost his team a Championship. I love everything about this scenario.

awhom111
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Miles was back in Fort Wayne as they beat the Santa Cruz Warriors 102-86. Miles had 9 points and 9 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130103/SCWFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200108

Here is the YouTube video of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeKzKVytYSU

awhom111
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Miles and Fort Wayne played Santa Cruz again and won 118-90. Miles had 10 points and 16 rebounds in 33 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130105/SCWFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200116

Here is the YouTube video of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5SF7zLx3I

awhom111
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
As always, I hate having to bring this thread up, but we have a second former Duke player sent down this season as Portland assigned Nolan to the Idaho Stampede.

He joined the team in time for their game against the Texas Legends in Reno as part of the annual midseason tournament, where they lost 104-84. Nolan had 28 points and 6 assists in 41 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130107/IDATEX/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200386

Here is the YouTube of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxuiCD6ULA

Many of these tournament games are on NBA TV or CBS Sports Network, so there will be more to watch over the next few days. Nolan and Idaho play again tomorrow at 3:45 pm Eastern on NBA TV.

jimsumner
01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
As always, I hate having to bring this thread up, but we have a second former Duke player sent down this season as Portland assigned Nolan to the Idaho Stampede.

He joined the team in time for their game against the Texas Legends in Reno as part of the annual midseason tournament, where they lost 104-84. Nolan had 28 points and 6 assists in 41 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130107/IDATEX/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200386

Here is the YouTube of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxuiCD6ULA

Many of these tournament games are on NBA TV or CBS Sports Network, so there will be more to watch over the next few days. Nolan and Idaho play again tomorrow at 3:45 pm Eastern on NBA TV.

I'd rather see Nolan get major PT in the D-league than languish on the bench in the NBA. Even if he doesn't impress the Blazers, he may impress someone else.

moonpie23
01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I'd rather see Nolan get major PT in the D-league than languish on the bench in the NBA. Even if he doesn't impress the Blazers, he may impress someone else.

totally agree........nolan's time is coming......when he gets the right team and coach, he will make his mark....

mapei
01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't understand the bashing of Marshall, who struck me as a *really* good college player. This year we, too, are finally seeing the benefits of having a potentially great point guard.

It may have been a mistake for KM to jump to the pros when he did, but I don't take any particular pleasure in the kid's mistake.

Billy Dat
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't understand the bashing of Marshall, who struck me as a *really* good college player. This year we, too, are finally seeing the benefits of having a potentially great point guard.

It may have been a mistake for KM to jump to the pros when he did, but I don't take any particular pleasure in the kid's mistake.

I agree with this sentiment. It's way too early to call KM a bust, and I agree with what Jim said about Nolan getting PT in the D-League.

When a kid leaves early, success is in the eye of the beholder. KM, an injury prone kid, decided to jump early, grab the guaranteed $2.4MM, with the mindset that he would develop well enough to get that next contract. Even if he never gets another NBA contract, he'll make as much in 3 years as someone making $120K per year would make in half their work lifetime. As a fan, I always want to see a kid come back, and KM had a lot to come back to. He would have been the clear leader of the team and would have been a player-of-the-year candidate....and if he got hurt, again, maybe he isn't a first round player. CJ McCollum's injury is a bad advertisement for coming back to school. I think KM is an NBA point guard, it'll just take some time for him to find his way. I also think Nolan is an NBA player, he's just going to have to keep grinding to try and even be a rotation player.

As for McRoberts, again, he's turned himself into a $3MM per year player, and is currently at around $8MM-$9MM in career earnings. Some guys that always are going to think they are better then they are in college. It's easy to say Josh should have come back, but if he wasn't going to buy in to what the coaches were telling him, then he had to leave. It took a humbling experience in the pros to shake him out of the mindset that he should be "the man" and forced him to work on becoming a guy that could stick in the league, which is an energy athletic big that can defend from 3-5, run the court, set screens, get some garbage here and there, and take his man off the dribble if he gets the right mismatch off pick action. My point is that it's a two part process - one has to return to school AND buy in to what the coaches are saying. I heard a pundit recently say that sophomore year is a time when college coaches really start to grind on players. They don't overcoach them their first year because (A) they don't want to overwhelm them and (B) they are trying to get an idea of their capability. Come sophomore year, they really start trying to forge them into the player they can become so that their junior/senior years they are ready to really flourish. That makes sense to me because that second year seems to be a time when a lot of guys consider transferring.

gwncnc
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
totally agree........nolan's time is coming......when he gets the right team and coach, he will make his mark....

I saw an interview with an assistant GM, may have been with Brooklyn, who was out to watch some of the development league games and he mentioned Nolen as one he would look at.

Matches
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
When a kid leaves early, success is in the eye of the beholder. KM, an injury prone kid, decided to jump early, grab the guaranteed $2.4MM, with the mindset that he would develop well enough to get that next contract. Even if he never gets another NBA contract, he'll make as much in 3 years as someone making $120K per year would make in half their work lifetime.

Yep. And even if KM never gets a 2nd NBA contract, he'll be playing somewhere professionally, and will make a lot of money doing it. In fact, his game might be better suited to overseas leagues anyway.

KM is a very fundamentally sound player. His shortcomings are primarily related to his lack of quickness and his suspect jumpshooting. Coming back to school for another year wasn't going to make him any quicker, and there's no reason he can't improve his shot "on-the-job".

elvis14
01-08-2013, 01:22 PM

I can explain. KM went to UNC@CH. (I was going to type more but basically I've fully explained it already).

Orange&BlackSheep
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
As for McRoberts, ... It took a humbling experience in the pros to shake him out of the mindset that he should be "the man" and forced him to work on becoming a guy that could stick in the league, which is an energy athletic big that can defend from 3-5, run the court, set screens, get some garbage here and there, and take his man off the dribble if he gets the right mismatch off pick action.

The odd thing about this line of thought is that I always perceived that Coach K and the staff were TRYING to get McBob to think of himself as the man and act accordingly but he just seemed uncomfortable being that guy. A little strange that he would have a problem thinking of himself as the man in the pros when he clearly did not have that problem in college. Or so it seems to me ....

Orange&BlackSheep

awhom111
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Nolan had his second game as Idaho lost 110-100 to the Canton Charge. Nolan had 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists in 35 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130108/CTNIDA/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200390

Here is the YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6jUDB3mfFA&feature=plcp

awhom111
01-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Miles made it to Los Angeles as Fort Wayne played the D-Fenders (yes, that's the name) and won 104-102. He had 9 points and 7 rebounds in 24 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130116/FWNLAD/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200139

Here is the video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1jXZux1Ho

Billy Dat
01-17-2013, 10:31 AM
The odd thing about this line of thought is that I always perceived that Coach K and the staff were TRYING to get McBob to think of himself as the man and act accordingly but he just seemed uncomfortable being that guy. A little strange that he would have a problem thinking of himself as the man in the pros when he clearly did not have that problem in college. Or so it seems to me ....
Orange&BlackSheep

You make a good point, and I think my use "The Man" concept was off the mark. I think your feeling that Josh was more comfortable as a supporting player when the coaches wanted him to step up and lead is accurate. What I am trying to articulate is the gulf between what a coaching staff thinks about a player and what a player thinks of himself. Perhaps the pro Josh became is exactly the role he wanted to play at Duke but, as you say, the coaches expected more.

awhom111
01-18-2013, 01:24 AM
See if you can find anything incorrect in this article on the blog for Fort Wayne's newspaper:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130116/BLOGS17/130119633/1097/SPORTS0603

MCFinARL
01-18-2013, 10:20 AM
See if you can find anything incorrect in this article on the blog for Fort Wayne's newspaper:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130116/BLOGS17/130119633/1097/SPORTS0603

Yikes! Hope the NCAA doesn't find out about this. :D

awhom111
01-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Miles (and not Mason) had 10 points and 12 rebounds in 26 minutes as Fort Wayne lost 126-115 to the Bakersfield Jam.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130118/FWNBAK/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosEbZcFhoI&feature=plcp

sagegrouse
01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Miles (and not Mason) had 10 points and 12 rebounds in 26 minutes as Fort Wayne lost 126-115 to the Bakersfield Jam.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130118/FWNBAK/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosEbZcFhoI&feature=plcp

Fort Wayne Mad Ants -- I just figured it out: "Mad Anthony Wayne," for whom the city was named. -- Sagegrouse

awhom111
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Miles and Fort Wayne finished their Southern California road trip with a 113-106 loss to Los Angeles. Miles had 15 points and 12 rebounds in 36 minutes.

Here is the boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130119/FWNLAD/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200153

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUUISm3z56s&feature=player_embedded

awhom111
02-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Miles was back in Fort Wayne as they beat the Main Red Claws 115-109. He had 11 points and 10 rebounds in 30 minutes.

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130131/MNEFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200184

Video of game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kIyKOnuvkDY

awhom111
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Miles continues to yo-yo between the two team as he had 8 points and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes as Fort Wayne beat the Canton Charge 94-81.

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130204/CTNFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200199

Full game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U01BkUG_j6Q

FerryFor50
02-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Miles continues to yo-yo between the two team as he had 8 points and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes as Fort Wayne beat the Canton Charge 94-81.

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130204/CTNFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200199

Full game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U01BkUG_j6Q

Does the NBA not have a waiver process like MLB or the NHL, where a player cannot be shuffled back and forth so much unless clearing waivers first? Seems like an up and down season for miles...

sagegrouse
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Does the NBA not have a waiver process like MLB or the NHL, where a player cannot be shuffled back and forth so much unless clearing waivers first? Seems like an up and down season for miles...

Good question. Miles is on the 15-man roster of the Pacers. Only 12 players (13?) can be active for any game. Therefore, those players can be shuttled back and forth to the D League. At least it gives them playing time. And,... and,... they get their full NBA salary.

sagegrouse

ChillinDuke
02-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Good question. Miles is on the 15-man roster of the Pacers. Only 12 players (13?) can be active for any game. Therefore, those players can be shuttled back and forth to the D League. At least it gives them playing time. And,... and,... they get their full NBA salary.

sagegrouse

And I believe there is also a rule that says if a player is added to the roster 3 separate times throughout the season, then he can't be sent down again? Didn't this happen to Lance last year?

I assume this means added to the 15-man roster, not the 12-man active?

Not entirely sure, but there seems to be something to restrict the shuffling.

- Chillin

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
And I believe there is also a rule that says if a player is added to the roster 3 separate times throughout the season, then he can't be sent down again? Didn't this happen to Lance last year?

I assume this means added to the 15-man roster, not the 12-man active?

Not entirely sure, but there seems to be something to restrict the shuffling.

- Chillin

I believe you're confusing the 10-day contracts that free agent players can sign with Miles' situation, where he is under a full contract.

ChillinDuke
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I believe you're confusing the 10-day contracts that free agent players can sign with Miles' situation, where he is under a full contract.

That's the one.

Thanks, Ozzie.

- Chillin

awhom111
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Miles had a quiet game tonight as Fort Wayne lost 106-99 to the Sioux Falls Skyforce. He finished with 2 points and 3 rebounds in 20 minutes.

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130206/SXFFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200203

Game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRLZJw27PA&feature=player_embedded

awhom111
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
6 points and 6 rebounds for Miles in 29 minutes as Fort Wayne lost 125-103 to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130208/RGVFWN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200209

Full Game on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONr1R5LBoY&feature=player_embedded