PDA

View Full Version : "Flops" (Donny Marshall)

aav2aav2
11-23-2012, 09:15 PM
The color commentator's comments regarding flops are an absolute joke. Not only are they actually wrong, they demonstrate an obvious bias in the announcing. The play-by-play guy is not taking the bait, fortunately.

MChambers
11-23-2012, 09:21 PM
The color commentator's comments regarding flops are an absolute joke. Not only are they actually wrong, they demonstrate an obvious bias in the announcing. The play-by-play guy is not taking the bait, fortunately.

Even said it when Curry was fouled on a reach in. Who are these guys?

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 09:24 PM
This is just ridiculous and shows how much hatred there is for Duke.

Son of Mojo
11-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Donny Marshall--and the next Duke game I hear him announce will be one too many. He was terrible pushing forth an AGENDA.

RoyalBlue08
11-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I never thought I would miss ESPN coverage this much. This third tier cable network crap is annoying.

striker219
11-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Wow, Donny Marshall is not getting a lot of twitter love right now. (http://www.topix.com/twitter/detail/basketball-players/donny-marshall)

Edouble
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Donny Marshall--and the next Duke game I hear him announce will be one too many. He was terrible pushing forth an AGENDA.

Yeah. He really turned it up in the second half. It was like he could only keep it together for half of a Duke game or something.

basket1544
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Donny Marshall graduated from UCon(n) and if you google him you find a website dedicated to his bad announcing. The website has a curse word in it that I don't like. Unfortunately we have to hear his play calling tomorrow too. I'm writing NBC Sports. He referred to VCU as "we" and was worse than Len Elmore in my opinion.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Wow, Donny Marshall is not getting a lot of twitter love right now. (http://www.topix.com/twitter/detail/basketball-players/donny-marshall)

Good he needs to be told what an arse he is.

wsb3
11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Who knew we could flop on offense????? How many times did he use the word flop?

noworries
11-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Came in here to post something on this topic, nice to know I wasn't the only one to think this. What a joke. Side note: Go Devils!

Cameron
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM
As we started to pull away, I kept waiting for Donny to leave the booth and check into the game for VCU. He is a complete discredit to the profession. Never have I heard such a biased mockery from an announcer.

He should be taken outside and dunked on repeatedly by Dahntay Jones.

Leck
11-23-2012, 09:37 PM
New drinkin game for tomorrow...shots every time Donny Marshall says flop. Gonna need to go on a booze run!

nyesq83
11-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Not to be confused with former National Basketball Association and fellow University of Connecticut player Donyell Marshall.
Donny Marshall
No. 33, 13
Small forward
Personal information
Born July 17, 1972 (age 40)
Detroit, Michigan
Nationality American
High school Federal Way
(Federal Way, Washington)
Listed height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Listed weight 230 lb (104 kg)
Career information
College Connecticut (1991–1995)
NBA Draft 1995 / Round: 2 / Pick: 39th overall
Selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers
Pro career 1995–2003
Career history
1995–1997 Cleveland Cavaliers
1999–2000 Connecticut Pride (CBA)
2000 Cleveland Cavaliers
2000–2001 Connecticut Pride (CBA)
2001 Near East (Greece)
2002–2003 New Jersey Nets
Career NBA statistics
Points 293 (2.5 ppg)
Rebounds 121 (1.0 rpg)
Stats at Basketball-Reference.com
Donny E. Marshall (born July 17, 1972, in Detroit, Michigan) is a retired American professional basketball player who was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers the 2nd round (39th overall) of the 1995 National Basketball Association Draft.
[edit]Career

After graduating from Federal Way High School in Washington, Marshall chose to attend the University of Connecticut. He was then selected in the 2nd round (39th overall) of the 1995 NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Marshall went on to play in five seasons in the NBA. In his NBA career, Marshall played in 119 games and amassed a total of 293 points.
[edit]After the NBA

Marshall now offers commentary for the Boston Celtics on Comcast SportsNet in New England. He often is called upon to replace Tom Heinsohn as the Celtics' color commentator alongside Mike Gorman whenever necessary. He is also a color commentator for NBC Sports Network college basketball telecasts.

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I feel like this thread is like a "Don't feed the troll thread." I'm sure enough people will voice their displeasure and I don't think we'll be on NBC Sports again so no worry. Not to mention, I'm sure he'll get a talking to. Even his post game comments just now were very pleasing. But I assume this thread will be locked b/c nothing good can come of it.

On another note, Shaka Smart showed Calipari what a classy coach does.

nyesq83
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Tommy Heinsohn's son is a Duke grad (ex-football player, broke his neck).

Donny Marshall is no Donyell Marshall.

He certainly is no Tommy Heinsohn.

What a rank amateur.

delfrio
11-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Donny Marshall graduated from UCon(n) and if you google him you find a website dedicated to his bad announcing. The website has a curse word in it that I don't like. Unfortunately we have to hear his play calling tomorrow too. I'm writing NBC Sports. He referred to VCU as "we" and was worse than Len Elmore in my opinion.

That website, although more about his NBA announcing, is hilarious.

I guess I learned two new things today though:
1. You can flop if you trip (or are pushed) over your own teammate who is lying on the ground.
2. You can flop if someone fouls you and you don't even fall on the ground.

Now I know! Thanks Donny!

roywhite
11-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Donny Marshall, that was a disgraceful performance as a commentator.

Your bio puts you on some UConn teams that played dirty against Duke; you probably loved it when Rod Sellers tried to dribble Christian Laettner's head.

rhynelander
11-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Who knew we could flop on offense????? How many times did he use the word flop?

Exactly! My dear 86 year old grandmother asked me that very question, how can someone flop when they're on offense, big shout out to the classiest coach in basketball, calipari for bringing this "duke flopping" issue up in the first place! But really though, great effort by our blue devils against a physical vcu team!

DukeFanSince1990
11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
As we started to pull away, I kept waiting for Donny to leave the booth and check into the game for VCU. He is a complete discredit to the profession. Never have I heard such a biased mockery from an announcer.

He should be taken outside and dunked on repeatedly by Dahntay Jones.

I read all of your posts in my head with Don Imus's voice. fyi.

Class of '94
11-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I'll air out my grievances and then let it go; but it sure is interesting that all the "flop" talk ended with the Duke game and no mention of flops taken in the Louisville-Missouri game when there were some clear calls that could've been called "flops" by both teams (if you go by the kinds of plays Duke made tath Marshall called flops). Yet, noting has been said by either announcer. I even heard Donny call a play that was ruled a blocking call against Louisville as a "that's a tough play for officials to call [in regards to if it was a charge or blocking foul]". Yet, the actually play was no different than waht a Duke plaer did. Hmmmmm......Very interesting.......

MarkD83
11-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Marshall may have been lectured to between games about his biased announcing.

The Duke-VCU game is the first time I have ever heard any announcer use the word flop. Other announcers may disagree with calls but they usually blame the officials not one of the teams that is playing.

hurleyfor3
11-24-2012, 12:03 AM
I never thought I would miss ESPN coverage this much.

He didn't merely make me appreciate espn. He made me appreciate Len Elmore.

roywhite
11-24-2012, 12:16 AM
He didn't merely make me appreciate espn. He made me appreciate Len Elmore.

Agreed....by the way, the thread title should be "Donny Marshall"....Donyell Marshall is a different player.

Cameron
11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
I read all of your posts in my head with Don Imus's voice. fyi.

Lol. Now that's a funny thought. I guess it's a good thing my avatar isn't this guy (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/V55PVV6Lo_Y/0.jpg) or that could get pretty confusing.

-bdbd
11-24-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't think I've ever been angrier at an announcer than I was with Donny "Flops" Marshall tonight. Was watching the game with my sister and her husband, BC and MD grads respectively, and who love to root for DUKE opponents just to goad me, but even they were laughing loudly at this guy's blatant rooting against Duke. Really pathetic. How does someone with that much bias ever get into a broadcast booth in the first place???!

I guess you could say he really flopped in his performance tonight!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I hopes K points this out to the guys before the game so they will want to win even more.

oldnavy
11-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Webster's has just revised the definition of flop to include any foul called against a Duke opponent.

hillsborodevil
11-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Surely there will be questional charges and/or blocks, but if a team is unable to play defense then BB would not exist.

Lord Ash
11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Make no mistake, Cal got the ball rolling on this one... This guy just picked up the ball and went with it.

dukefan1980
11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
What really got me fired up with Donny's biased commentary is when he called the screen by Reddic at the top of the key on Sulaimon a flop. Even after a couple of replays in which you could tell that Reddic had his leg sticking out much further than his shoulders. There was no doubt that he tripped Sulaimon but Donny kept calling it a flop!

miramar
11-24-2012, 11:25 AM
He certainly is no Tommy Heinsohn.

What a rank amateur.

Yes, Donny is worse than the guy who never figured out that Kareem's last name is Abdul-Jabbar and not Jabbar.

And who said, IIRC, "That was a great pass he made to James Worthy Magic Johnson."

Try diagramming that. I bet you didn't know that English sentences could have a noun and a pronoun as redundant subjects.

House G
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
And Marshall, in his post game analysis, stated: ". . . you'll talk to Shaka Smart and he'll tell you we just didn't make shots. It was much deeper than that. Duke really handled the pressure like you said. But not only that, they stayed aggressive, they didn't get sped up, they played their game and, I know people don't like to hear it--all the Duke haters--they played Duke basketball."

CoachJ10
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Make no mistake, Cal got the ball rolling on this one... This guy just picked up the ball and went with it.

Bingo. Cal knew what he was doing with that comment.

roywhite
11-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Bingo. Cal knew what he was doing with that comment.

Fortunately, we no longer have Billy Packer around.

He would be all over this "flopping" theme.

fh84
11-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I was so angry after watching the game last night. I wrote two emails to NBC and NBCsports. I was embarrassing for a "sports network" trying to rival ESPN....

MarkD83
11-24-2012, 04:57 PM
By trying to point out Duke's defense and how it is "seemingly" unfair aren't folks like Calipari and Marshall just making excuses for teams to lose?
Isn't this also getting into the heads of the opposing players that we really can't win against Duke because of their defense?
If so go ahead and keep talking about it. I like that Duke gets a mental edge in every game. I have yet to see how the many years of Maryland complaining about Duke ever got them an edge on the court.

wilko
11-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Didnt he play on Happy Days?

mapei
11-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I think he had been told to cut it out and get his (edited noun) together before the post-game comments, which were all complimentary of Duke. It was such a flip-flop (heh) from the way he called the game that someone must have intervened.

WiJoe
11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Marshall gave the low score before going to commercial once. As in "VCU 32, Duke 35."

Beyond brutal.

My son, who turns 14 next month, could do better. Seriously.

hughgs
11-24-2012, 07:52 PM

I believe that was Donny Most.

chaosmage
11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
about 1:10 to go, Mizzou gets the ball back on a charge by VCU. Marshall calls it good defense because the Mizzou player stopped and drew the charge on a drive for a layup.

So that's not a flop, but good defense. Even though the guy taking the charge was bigger and taller.

Ok. Just checking.

wanker.

Les Grossman
11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
about 1:10 to go, Mizzou gets the ball back on a charge by VCU. Marshall calls it good defense because the Mizzou player stopped and drew the charge on a drive for a layup.

So that's not a flop, but good defense. Even though the guy taking the charge was bigger and taller.

Ok. Just checking.

wanker.

thats awesome
an entire thread devoted to UConn Donny!!
Lenny Elmore territory, man

Mudge
11-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I was so angry after watching the game last night. I wrote two emails to NBC and NBCsports. I was embarrassing for a "sports network" trying to rival ESPN....

Though to be fair, ESPN STILL puts up with Vitale's and Berman's schtick, after all these years-- both of those guys are so far past their sell-by dates, they should be labeled "dangerous for consumption"... but in a nod toward your take on NBCSports channel, at least the guys at ESPN know that they work in Bristol, not "Brisnol"-- the anchor at NBCSports (Ian McHugh?) told us several times last night that the weather in the Bahamas was better than it was at the NBCSports studios in "Stanford, CT"... this NBCSports anchor clown also assumed that Coach K walked off the court at speed because he was unhappy with Duke's performance-- instead of recognizing that K has a very tight schedule for talking to his team after these 3 games in 3 days tourneys, and has to get a lot of coaching and logistics planning done in a short time, before hurrying back out to the court to scout his next opponent in the immediately upcoming game.

I won't even bother to spend much time on DonnyFlops-- other than to note that he certainly had no problem with the incredible touch fouls called on both Plumlee (rebound) and Kelly (block) in this game, or the shot to the jaw on Thornton, but he was sure that Duke was flopping anytime they drew an offensive foul on VCU... he even wanted a travel on Kelly or Curry on a floor scramble when they didn't even have possession of the ball yet... boy, it sure is good that Duke has figured out how to play at other than Princeton's slow-down speed, and take care of the ball against a suffocating, pressure defense-- because Duke surely never runs or presses in its practices.

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Louisville sure "sells a lot of calls"

DukeFanSince1990
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Louisville sure "sells a lot of calls"

I caught that too. Unbelievable.

pamtar
11-25-2012, 12:20 AM
This may have been said already, and I was catching up on DVR, but I didn't hear them call out the number of fouls any player on any team had until R Kelly fouled out. It wasn't flashed on the screen either. Shouldn't that be a given? How the hell else is one to acquire this information?

g-money
11-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Overall I thought Donny Marshall did fine tonight. He must have been issued a warning/critique by the suits at NBC Sports after last night's debacle.

In any case, I for one was happy not to hear the usual ESPN comments along the lines of 'Duke gets all the calls', 'Duke makes more free throws than their opponents attempt', etc. It made for a fun game to watch/listen to.

snowdenscold
11-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Overall I thought Donny Marshall did fine tonight. He must have been issued a warning/critique by the suits at NBC Sports after last night's debacle.

I thought the same thing (on both points).

oldnavy
11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
This may have been said already, and I was catching up on DVR, but I didn't hear them call out the number of fouls any player on any team had until R Kelly fouled out. It wasn't flashed on the screen either. Shouldn't that be a given? How the hell else is one to acquire this information?

I hinted towards this in my earlier post when I said I just mute the TV because, you are not going to gain any useful information about the game from MOST announcers. I may get the computer out and go to a "gamecast" site to get the stats, but I really enjoy watching the games without the yak from the talking heads.

BD80
11-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I believe that was Donny Most.

He's the son of Donny Most and Happy Days actress Penny Marshall (sister of creator Garry Marshall)

It seemed strange that Donny was fine with the calls against Duke in crunch time when Duke guards would extend their arms and Louisville players would flop backwards. At least he did opine that the last two calls against Ryan were wrong.

moonpie23
11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
this is my 3rd season of muting the TV and listening to the radio broadcast.....it's generally about 5 seconds AHEAD of the TV so i already know what's going to happen on the next play. The great thing about this, (even tho it takes a bit of getting used to) is that you get to watch the play set up. When you know how it's going to be a plumdunk for example, you get to watch him getting into position and watch the assist as well.... you also get to listen to bob harris.....

I love it...

CoachJ10
11-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I think you are being very charitable to say that Donny was less obnoxious last night.

The obvious bias in describing the foul disparities and the nature of said fouls was bad enough (admittedly we were dealing with some Bahaman middle school's refs in this tourney - they were truly awful), but the most annoying and petty part to me was him re-emphasing down the last minute of the game, how Louisville was a different team without its starting center. While the Dukies on the court were making great basketball plays...he couldn't help himself to try to diminish their win. That was very immature and less than professional.

Furniture
11-25-2012, 11:35 AM

I think you are being very charitable to say that Donny was less obnoxious last night.

The obvious bias in describing the foul disparities and the nature of said fouls was bad enough (admittedly we were dealing with some Bahaman middle school's refs in this tourney - they were truly awful), but the most annoying and petty part to me was him re-emphasing down the last minute of the game, how Louisville was a different team without its starting center. While the Dukies on the court were making great basketball plays...he couldn't help himself to try to diminish their win. That was very immature and less than professional.

I thought the exact same thing.

Papa John
11-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Fortunately, we no longer have Billy Packer around.

He would be all over this "flopping" theme.

It was Packer that started it, back in 2001...

DukieInKansas
11-25-2012, 03:30 PM

I thought the same thing. Did he ever mention Marshall not being in the game?

basket1544
11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Knowing that MP3 wasn't playing would require doing some homework. Donny never mentioned that Seth was hurt but instead said he was playing poor defense and not moving his feet well. The TV station never made it a point to show Marshall (or others) on the bench. They kept mentioning when Mason got his second foul how Duke isn't deep this year, but never mentioned MP3.

devil84
11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Knowing that MP3 wasn't playing would require doing some homework. Donny never mentioned that Seth was hurt but instead said he was playing poor defense and not moving his feet well. The TV station never made it a point to show Marshall (or others) on the bench. They kept mentioning when Mason got his second foul how Duke isn't deep this year, but never mentioned MP3.

Knowing that MP3 was hurt required reading the game notes provided by Duke for the Minnesota (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/993795.pdf?ATCLID=205753880&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), VCU (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/996986.pdf?ATCLID=205760360&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), and Louisville (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/999785.pdf?ATCLID=205764662&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200)games. I realize these are hefty documents at 33, 13, and 13 pages respectively, but each one has a roster buried all the way at the bottom of page 1, which notes MP3 is sidelined with an injury. The Minnesota notes also cover his injury specifically on page 5 and in his bio on page 28. I can see how Donny missed it. (/sarcasm)

To be fair, there is no mention of Curry's leg issues in any of the game notes, so Donny would actually have had to do more homework. I'm not sure it was covered in Calipari's halftime interview. (/more sarcasm)

Newton_14
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Knowing that MP3 was hurt required reading the game notes provided by Duke for the Minnesota (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/993795.pdf?ATCLID=205753880&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), VCU (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/996986.pdf?ATCLID=205760360&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), and Louisville (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/999785.pdf?ATCLID=205764662&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200)games. I realize these are hefty documents at 33, 13, and 13 pages respectively, but each one has a roster buried all the way at the bottom of page 1, which notes MP3 is sidelined with an injury. The Minnesota notes also cover his injury specifically on page 5 and in his bio on page 28. I can see how Donny missed it. (/sarcasm)

To be fair, there is no mention of Curry's leg issues in any of the game notes, so Donny would actually have had to do more homework. I'm not sure it was covered in Calipari's halftime interview. (/more sarcasm)

Ok so when my bud D84 is upset with the commentating, then it is darn well a legitimate gripe!

I caught Friday's game at my nieces house during my families Thanksgiving get together. There was a lot of noise in the room with all the people, so those of us watching the game caught little to none of the commentary. Sounds like that was a blessing in disguise, after reading all of the commentary in the threads. I assume it is safe to state that ol Donny said the word "Flop" more than a couple of times during the game? And did the guy really refer to Minnesota as "We"?

At any rate, it has been amazing in recent years at how different the commentary is during Duke games vs games that do not involve Duke. With Vitale being the obvious exception, the commentary is often built around Duke's weaknesses, "Duke getting all the calls", and what the other team needs to do to win the game. Also, if there is a controversial call that goes Duke's way, they will show the replay from every angle imaginable, yet if it goes against Duke, there is often no replay shown at all. That has happened numerous times, which by itself is jut kind of bizarre.

jv001
11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Ok so when my bud D84 is upset with the commentating, then it is darn well a legitimate gripe!

I caught Friday's game at my nieces house during my families Thanksgiving get together. There was a lot of noise in the room with all the people, so those of us watching the game caught little to none of the commentary. Sounds like that was a blessing in disguise, after reading all of the commentary in the threads. I assume it is safe to state that ol Donny said the word "Flop" more than a couple of times during the game? And did the guy really refer to Minnesota as "We"?

At any rate, it has been amazing in recent years at how different the commentary is during Duke games vs games that do not involve Duke. With Vitale being the obvious exception, the commentary is often built around Duke's weaknesses, "Duke getting all the calls", and what the other team needs to do to win the game. Also, if there is a controversial call that goes Duke's way, they will show the replay from every angle imaginable, yet if it goes against Duke, there is often no replay shown at all. That has happened numerous times, which by itself is jut kind of bizarre.

Newton14, believe me if you had heard Marshall you would have turned down the volumee (even if you couldn't listen on the radio). It was worse than Len Elmore on his worst day. I have not heard a more bias commentator since I've been rooting for Duke University. That goes back to the Howard Hurt days. GoDuke!

devil84
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Yeah, it was bad!

I'm not that upset with no mention of MP3's injury with respect to the injuries for the other teams. MP3 hasn't played yet this season, so MP3's absence hasn't affected practice and game prep to the degree that VCU and Louisville were affected losing a key player much more recently. However, MP3's injury is listed on PAGE ONE in the roster: "Marshall Plumlee (6-11, 235, R-Fr.) F - - - sidelined with a left foot injury." The notes don't say when he'll be back (and they shouldn't). But if the commentator wants to sound intelligent when discussing a team's depth, perhaps the commentator might try to figure out how long the 6'11" with the same last name as the star and an NBA player is out for (clearly "sidelined" is not "out for the year"). Again, we must realize that this information was hidden all the way at the bottom of page one! And the only pictures on the pages were the logos for Duke and its opponent (the first page format is the same for all three games). I can see why Donny might have had a problem with finding that information. [/sarcasm]

I'm not happy with his constant harping on the flops (and geez, it's pretty clear he doesn't even know what a flop is!), but he did change his tune in the third game. But the rest of his "analysis" left a lot to be desired. But instead of being upset about his announcing, I've decided that his announcing may not be a bad thing. First, if there's anyone who actually knows something about Duke Basketball, he's just shown the world that he doesn't do the most basic research, which is reading THE FIRST PAGE of the game notes. Pitiable, really. Secondly, he's really only annoying Duke fans. So what does it matter to the rest of the world that we "don't have any depth?" Well, after using our best players to play a brutal schedule where we beat four top teams in five games in 11 days with another top team in four days later, maybe not having any depth is a liability since, well, we've "only" won all of the games we've played so far. After the Ohio State game (where we might want more depth, but we will have our Sixth Man), we are coming up to a number of December games, and perhaps we'll see a few more players that Donny didn't notice and a little development might take place. But, shhhhh, don't tell our our opponents' fans that we could be even better with more bench down the road. Let's keep that our little secret. ;)

It'd be interesting to know if the other schools disliked his "analysis" as much as we did. Clearly he was against Duke; it was terribly unprofessional for him to say "we" regarding ANY team there. But it was obvious that he didn't do the research needed to be a good "analyst." Was he as bad with the "facts" for the other schools? Perhaps they didn't notice what he said about Duke because they were still rolling their eyes and screaming at the TV because he screwed up something about their team.

That doesn't excuse the producers and editors that don't show the replays of the calls that benefit Duke's opponent -- thankfully the last two games were on NBC Sports so I could use my DVR and rewind to make my own replays. I couldn't do that in the first game watching online at my brother's house with a ton of other family there. But, y'know, when Duke stops being singled out for whatever it is that makes us mad, it means Duke isn't relevant anymore. Embrace it. :) Thankfully we don't have to deal with Donny for any other games this year! At least we had a reprieve from Elmore, Vitale, etc.

MChambers
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought Marshall was quite a bit more balanced in the Louisville game. For example, when Rasheed was called for a very questionable blocking foul on Smith, Marshall openly questioned the call. He also said that Kelly's fourth foul was a bad call. He said something on Kelly's fifth foul, too, and I think he thought it was a bad call, but what he said was fairly incoherent, so it was hard to tell.

He also described Rasheed as one of the two or three best freshman in the country and Mason as a lottery pick.

And I'm pretty sure Marshall's use of "flop" was particularly egregious Saturday night. I was not able to see Friday night's game.

Merlindevildog91
11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
but Donny Marshall was so bad, on Saturday night I dropped an "F" bomb. Directed at him. In front of my mother.

I did think he was slightly better on Saturday night than he had been earlier, but that's similar to saying botulism is better than E. coli.. He did sort of say that Ryan's fifth foul shouldn't have been called, but it was in such a convoluted manner it was difficult to understand.

MChambers
11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I thought Marshall was quite a bit more balanced in the Louisville game. For example, when Rasheed was called for a very questionable blocking foul on Smith, Marshall openly questioned the call. He also said that Kelly's fourth foul was a bad call. He said something on Kelly's fifth foul, too, and I think he thought it was a bad call, but what he said was fairly incoherent, so it was hard to tell.

He also described Rasheed as one of the two or three best freshman in the country and Mason as a lottery pick.

And I'm pretty sure Marshall's use of "flop" was particularly egregious Saturday night. I was not able to see Friday night's game.
Edit: I meant his use of "flop" was particularly egregious Friday night. I couldn't see Thursday's game.

watzone
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Rumor has it that a Duke twitter site included some tags in comments which got the attention of NBC Sports when other fans chimed in. I was told he used flop 17 times but I never counted them. But I was outraged by the constant use as were others and it took away from the broadcast. Anyhow, twitter works and objectively he was over the top and some knew it and drove the point home to NBC Sports. He did not utter "flop," one time that i heard after that.