PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. VCU Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

subzero02
11-22-2012, 10:50 PM
We will face Virginia Commonwealth University tomorrow at 7 pm on NBC sports. VCU defeated #19 Memphis( a 2 point favorite) 78-65 tonight. VCU is 3-1 on the year with the 1 loss coming against Wichita State 53-51. We share a common opponent, Florida Gulf Coast University. The Rams defeated FGCU 80-57 in their first game of the season. In their 3 wins VCU has scored at least 78 points; they average almost 75 points per game. I have not seen them play yet but it looks like they rely heavily on 6'9" 235 pound junior Juvonte Reddic. He averages 16.3 ppg and 8.7 rpg. I hope to see Seth Curry in the lineup tomorrow. Our defense has been very good so far this year; a continuation of that trend is something I hope to see tomorrow as well. A win against VCU would likely put us in the championship game on Saturday against #2 Louisville. Let's take care of business!

dchen09
11-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I watched some of today's VCU vs Memphis game. VCU has a swarming high energy defense. It gave Memphis fits but we have significantly better ball movement and Quinn Cook is better at protecting the ball than Joe Jackson. They were lights outfrom outside, especially Troy Daniels. However, looking at averages I'm not sure they are all that good. Most have 3pt% <35%. The key to the game will likely be ball movement and transition defense.

juise
11-22-2012, 11:17 PM
A win against VCU would likely put us in the championship game on Saturday against #2 Louisville.

Don't discount Mizzou.

dchen09
11-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Mizzou is missing Micheal Dixon. They haven't been playing all that well either. They didn't exactly kill Stanford.

subzero02
11-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Right now Northern Iowa is looking to take out Louisville before missouri... They trail the cardinals 47-44 with 1:16 to play

lotusland
11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Right now Northern Iowa is looking to take out Louisville before missouri... They trail the cardinals 47-44 with 1:16 to play
I'm curios whether Seth will play and, if not, whether the minutes go primarily to TT/QC or Alex/Amile.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 08:50 AM
This will be a interesting game.
As long VCU doesn't shoot as well from 3pt line like yesterday we should be in good shape.
I think Seth will play he looked fine yesterday even though he hit the floor a few times.
I would like to see a little more playing time given to Alex and Amile, Amile did okay for the few minutes he was in and we should keep building on that.

Duke is looking really good thus far and I'm very impressed by the improvements our older players have made since last year.
It seems like everyone took a class in maturity and passed.
I also think that Cook has not come into himself as of yet and will have a breakout game where everything will snap into focus for him and then we have turned a corner.
Our D is starting to look like a Duke defense of old and seems to get better each game too.

IBleedBlue
11-23-2012, 09:00 AM
This is the game where Quinn Cook becomes key for a win. VCU pressures the ball for a full 40 minutes and tries to generate as many turnovers as possible. And they pressure it from the moment the ball is in-bounded.
Our guys need to face the defender and not turn their back to the defender. If they turn backwards to protect the ball, they lose the sight of line to pass.
VCU is like Louisville on Steroids. Atleast, Coach Pitino lays off the pressure sometimes and changes his defensive looks. VCU is full pressure full game.

NSDukeFan
11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
This is the game where Quinn Cook becomes key for a win. VCU pressures the ball for a full 40 minutes and tries to generate as many turnovers as possible. And they pressure it from the moment the ball is in-bounded.
Our guys need to face the defender and not turn their back to the defender. If they turn backwards to protect the ball, they lose the sight of line to pass.
VCU is like Louisville on Steroids. Atleast, Coach Pitino lays off the pressure sometimes and changes his defensive looks. VCU is full pressure full game.

This sounds like a great test for the team. VCU has certainly proven over the last few years that they have no problem playing with the big boys and can cause lots of difficulties with their pressure. Shaka Smart seems to be a very good coach. Should be another great game. Go Duke.

Olympic Fan
11-23-2012, 11:24 AM
To my mind, the most important thing -- by far -- for this game is how much and how well Seth is able to play.

We've been told the leg injury is going to be a nagging injury all season. We've been told that prior to this, he hasn't been able to practice on the day after game -- and has, in fact, been very limited in practice, period. We've been told Duke is trying "to manage" the injury.

Well, seeing Seth in back-to-back (and -back, tomorrow) games ought to provide a clue to his limitations. Weill he wear down over the course of the season? With practice limited, will he be able to maintain his conditioning? Will he be ready to go three straight games in Greensboro in March? Will he be ready to play two games in three days on three straight weekends in the NCAA Tournament?

We don't know any of that. Not saying today will provide answers, but it ought to offer us a clue.

We NEED Seth at close to 100 percent. Through four games, he's been playing first-team All-ACC quality ball. We need that to continue.

I do have faith in the Duke medical staff -- and the coaching staff -- that they'll make the right decisions for Seth and the team. I'm just curious to see how much they use him today in a second game in 27 1/2 hours.

Saratoga2
11-23-2012, 11:28 AM

We will likely see them press for the full 40 minutes, particularly if it is working. In addition, on offense they push the ball and try to penetrate and dish. Their 3 point shooting can be a problem if we leave them to double the penetrator.

To break the press, our bigs have to come down and present passing opportunities for our inbounds play. Using Ryan and Mason to provide inbounds passing opportunities should recude press related turnovers. We can't be throwing the ball into the corner, where they will certainly double and trap effectively, as they did repeatedly to Memphis.

Once down the floor, we can put pressure on them with a drive and dish or use Mason to score inside. If we are as proficient as we were against Minnesota, we will be fine. They will throw a lot of bodies at us and keep the pace high, so if will probably to necessary to use more of the bench tonight to help us avoid tiring out of foul issues.

dcar1985
11-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Just curious if anyone knows...has Seth not practiced after and before games because he's in too much pain or is it strictly precautionary on the coaching staffs part....a few ops have worded the situation as if Seth was unable to practice after games and not just being held out

Cameron
11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm curios whether Seth will play and, if not, whether the minutes go primarily to TT/QC or Alex/Amile.

From everything we've seen to this point, I would find it highly unlikely if Alex plays more than one minute tonight. I could be wrong, of course, as Coach K has a tendency to pull a trick or two out of his hat when we least expect it and Alex did start both exhibition games. So that would indicate that, at one point in time at least, Coach K had some level of confidence in the kid and his abilities.

Does anyone have any updates on Seth? I imagine the coaching staff is staying pretty tight lipped about the whole thing so as to not give VCU any advantage in terms of game preparations. As a fan, though, not knowing is excruciating. We will absolutely need Seth's experience on the perimeter tonight against the vaunted "havoc" press that VCU will undoubtedly bring the entire game.

billy
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have any updates on Seth? I imagine the coaching staff is staying pretty tight lipped about the whole thing so as to not give VCU any advantage in terms of game preparations. As a fan, though, not knowing is excruciating. We will absolutely need Seth's experience on the perimeter tonight against the vaunted "havoc" press that VCU will undoubtedly bring the entire game.

He was walking around the resort this morning in a boot. Not confidential because it's a pretty small place and all sorts of fans/coaches/opponents are also walking around. That doesn't need to mean he won't play, just an observation.

gam7
11-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I haven't studied VCU closely, but I'd venture to guess that their defense will be difficult to prepare for with less than 24 hours of lead time. That concerns me a bit.

Olympic Fan
11-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Just one comment -- the key to beating any pressure this year is not putting the ball in Quinn's hands and getting out of the way -- it's using Ryan Kelly as a press buster. Not as a dribbler, of course, but as a backcourt passing outlet.

K has used Ryan as his press buster all year -- with very good results.

subzero02
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
We are a 5.5 point favorite over the Rams... Louisville is favored by the same margin over Missouri

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Just curious if anyone knows...has Seth not practiced after and before games because he's in too much pain or is it strictly precautionary on the coaching staffs part....a few ops have worded the situation as if Seth was unable to practice after games and not just being held out

I don't know for sure and I'm just speculating but watching Seth play I think the reason of no practice is just to be on the save side by the staff.
He has looked fine when playing, even when hitting the floor going for loose balls.
If he was that hurt he would not do those kind of plays and I would also have to believe that Coach K would not let him either.
We should know for sure if he doesn't play tonight as that will tell us a lot about the severity of the injury.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm both nervous and excited for tonight's match up.

VCU typifies the teams that has given Duke the most trouble in recent years - athletic, swarming teams with good guard play.

Win tonight and Duke shows it can play multiple styles - just like it showed in 2010.

watzone
11-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Here is a Duke vs VCU game preview from Tom Rubenson who frequents these boards - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/11/battle-for-atlantis-preview-duke-vs-vcu/. Duke will face a guard heavy team and Currys' health will be a key.

IBleedBlue
11-23-2012, 03:01 PM
For those of you without access to NBC Sports, here is the link from Justin TV.
http://www.justin.tv/l1c4cbb
passcode: l1c4

Minnesota vs Memphis is live right now!!

mgtr
11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
OK, Minnesota beat Memphis. That makes me a little more confidant about the game tonight, since this means that Memphis was not as good as many expected. Thus, VCU did not have to be great to beat them, so I feel better about our chances against VCU. Lets see now, can I make that any more twisted? Go Duke!

Kedsy
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know for sure and I'm just speculating but watching Seth play I think the reason of no practice is just to be on the save side by the staff. He has looked fine when playing, even when hitting the floor going for loose balls.
If he was that hurt he would not do those kind of plays and I would also have to believe that Coach K would not let him either.

I disagree. Whether Seth has severe shin splints or a stress reaction, the pain comes from running and jumping. Diving to the floor or getting bumped going after a loose ball don't hurt any more than they normally would. If you treat it properly pre-game, once the adrenalin starts the pain is tolerable during activity, but after the activity you feel a great deal of pain and once you cool down from playing you're not in a hurry to start up again. I assume that's why he generally skips activity on consecutive days. And the only way to fix it is to rest -- I strongly doubt he's avoiding practice just to be "on the save side."

hood7
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM

--------------------------------

For those with Directv, it looks like channel 220 is nbcsports. How have I never noticed that channel before?

sagegrouse
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
--------------------------------

For those with Directv, it looks like channel 220 is nbcsports. How have I never noticed that channel before?

It used to be channel 605.

Cameron
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
He was walking around the resort this morning in a boot. Not confidential because it's a pretty small place and all sorts of fans/coaches/opponents are also walking around. That doesn't need to mean he won't play, just an observation.

Thanks for the report, Billy. Hopefully that last sentence proves true.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-23-2012, 04:14 PM
OK, Minnesota beat Memphis. That makes me a little more confidant about the game tonight, since this means that Memphis was not as good as many expected. Thus, VCU did not have to be great to beat them, so I feel better about our chances against VCU. Lets see now, can I make that any more twisted? Go Duke!
Taking into account the transitive property of basketball...
We beat Minnesota by 18.
Minnesota beat Memphis by 9.
Thus, we would have beaten Memphis by 27.
VCU only beat Memphis by 13.
Therefore... we will beat VCU by 14.
And so the game does not need to be played. ;)

timmy c
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Taking into account the transitive property of basketball...
We beat Minnesota by 18.
Minnesota beat Memphis by 9.
Thus, we would have beaten Memphis by 27.
VCU only beat Memphis by 13.
Therefore... we will beat VCU by 14.
And so the game does not need to be played. ;)

Now I'm worried...
VCU beat FGSU by 23
Duke beat FGSU by 21...
VCU beats Duke by 2 :confused:

uh_no
11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Now I'm worried...
VCU beat FGSU by 23
Duke beat FGSU by 21...
VCU beats Duke by 2 :confused:

well, doesn't that mean duke will beat itself by 16 points?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Foul! Circular reference!

wk2109
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I've seen it mentioned on ESPN and in the Chronicle that Duke's lack of bench minutes and point production may be a concern during this three-games-in-three-days tournament. I looked back at last year's box scores from Maui and found the following:

Game 1 vs. Tennessee
Total bench minutes: 41 (Miles 17, Tyler 14, Quinn 8, Josh 2)
Total bench points: 7 (out of 77 total)

Game 2 vs. Michigan (started 25.5 hours after Game 1 tip)
Total bench minutes: 30 (Miles 13, Tyler 12, Quinn 4, Josh 1)
Total bench points: 8 (out of 82 total)

Game 3 vs. Kansas (started 27 hours after Game 2 tip)
Total bench minutes: 30 (Tyler 21, Miles 8, Quinn 1)
Total bench points: 9 (out of 68 total)

Last night's game vs. Minnesota
Total bench minutes: 44 (Tyler 22, Josh 12, Amile 9, Alex 1)
Total bench points: 2 (out of 89 total)

So the bench minutes figure in last night's game was higher than it was in any of last year's Maui games, but the point production was lower -- though it's not like the bench was putting up much scoring in last year's games either. Also, the bench minutes dropped last year from 41 in the first game to 30 in the next two. I think it's likely that we'll see a similar kind of drop this year, considering how much K wants to win these regular season tournaments and that Ryan only played 28 minutes yesterday.

Seth's injury makes this year and last year not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but assuming he can suit up tonight at least for 20-25 minutes (I have no idea how safe it is to make that assumption after his 33 minutes last night) and the bulk of the difference goes to Tyler, who has proved capable of playing big minutes, I'm guessing Josh's and Amile's minutes will decrease slightly and that Alex won't be playing much either, if at all.

I also think VCU's press will play an additional factor in forcing Duke to use a three-guard lineup for the entire game. I think Ryan is decent as a press breaking safety valve, but I do remember him turning the ball over in press situations as well.

dcar1985
11-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I disagree. Whether Seth has severe shin splints or a stress reaction, the pain comes from running and jumping. Diving to the floor or getting bumped going after a loose ball don't hurt any more than they normally would. If you treat it properly pre-game, once the adrenalin starts the pain is tolerable during activity, but after the activity you feel a great deal of pain and once you cool down from playing you're not in a hurry to start up again. I assume that's why he generally skips activity on consecutive days. And the only way to fix it is to rest -- I strongly doubt he's avoiding practice just to be "on the save side."

Can't speak directly to Seth's injury w/o knowing exactly the severity (hard to believe he'd be playing at all w/ a fracture though) but having suffered from shin splints during my time in the military, and having played ball a good portion of my life I can say that..It only hurt while I was active, adrenalin or not it was pretty painful.

After I was done w/ whatever activity it may have been the pain subsided immediately. It was never a situation where I would still be in pain the following morning or throughout the day.

I for one think and HOPE they're just playing things safe and not trying to overdue it by having Seth, a 5th yr senior who's pretty comfortable in the system at this point push it in practice and risk re-injury or worsening the current situation.

Kedsy
11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Can't speak directly to Seth's injury w/o knowing exactly the severity (hard to believe he'd be playing at all w/ a fracture though) but having suffered from shin splints during my time in the military, and having played ball a good portion of my life I can say that..It only hurt while I was active, adrenalin or not it was pretty painful.

After I was done w/ whatever activity it may have been the pain subsided immediately. It was never a situation where I would still be in pain the following morning or throughout the day.

I for one think and HOPE they're just playing things safe and not trying to overdue it by having Seth, a 5th yr senior who's pretty comfortable in the system at this point push it in practice and risk re-injury or worsening the current situation.

That's interesting. I had shin splints pretty bad while I was at Duke and it was exactly the opposite experience as yours. A pre-med friend of mine showed me how to wrap my foot and ankle and the pain was manageable during basketball or volleyball, but after and the next day I couldn't walk without severe pain.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Like I said I was just speculating and never had a problem like that myself to draw any conclusions.
If it is as bad as I have read then seth is a real trooper for what he is doing and going through.
I can only hope for him that it is just about healed or can't see how he is playing at such a level.
This just raises my respect for him even more then it already was.
Go Seth we are behind you and wish you well!!

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 05:32 PM

I hope that you are right for Seth's sake.
But like I said I just can't see coach K doing something deliberate to hurt one of our guys.
I don't believe he would let him play if there was any danger, i'd have to assume that he would sit him down for longer just so we had him towards the end.

superdave
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Just one comment -- the key to beating any pressure this year is not putting the ball in Quinn's hands and getting out of the way -- it's using Ryan Kelly as a press buster. Not as a dribbler, of course, but as a backcourt passing outlet.

K has used Ryan as his press buster all year -- with very good results.

These guys know how to handle the press. They did it 10-12 times vs. Minnesota. They play Clemson as well. But this is a great point about Ryan. He's a good ball handler, does not get rushed and will be key. They should also look to go over the top to Mason and Rasheed. Patience is the key to beating the press. Ryan knows that and Quinn will hopefully figure that out quickly.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
That's interesting. I had shin splints pretty bad while I was at Duke and it was exactly the opposite experience as yours. A pre-med friend of mine showed me how to wrap my foot and ankle and the pain was manageable during basketball or volleyball, but after and the next day I couldn't walk without severe pain.

Really? I dealt with shin splints pretty much all of my sophomore year of college. I would literally play basketball every day except Sundays including intramurals and it never bothered me outside of the gym. It was one of those things every time i put my bball shoes on and started running, I would start feeling it. When I took them off and was walking, I was fine. I'm sure there are different levels of pain and severity but they were definitely a pain in the butt. Is that what he was diagnosed with? Shin splints?

Kedsy
11-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Really? I dealt with shin splints pretty much all of my sophomore year of college. I would literally play basketball every day except Sundays including intramurals and it never bothered me outside of the gym. It was one of those things every time i put my bball shoes on and started running, I would start feeling it. When I took them off and was walking, I was fine. I'm sure there are different levels of pain and severity but they were definitely a pain in the butt. Is that what he was diagnosed with? Shin splints?

I guess it must be different for different people. I still get flare ups from time to time, and it rarely bothers me while I'm playing but almost always bothers me the next day.

As far as what Seth has, they haven't told us, but the speculation seems to be either severe shin splints or a stress reaction in the shin(s).

riverside6
11-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the Duke/VCU game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14444

77devil
11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
To my mind, the most important thing -- by far -- for this game is how much and how well Seth is able to play.

We've been told the leg injury is going to be a nagging injury all season. We've been told that prior to this, he hasn't been able to practice on the day after game -- and has, in fact, been very limited in practice, period. We've been told Duke is trying "to manage" the injury.

Well, seeing Seth in back-to-back (and -back, tomorrow) games ought to provide a clue to his limitations. Weill he wear down over the course of the season? With practice limited, will he be able to maintain his conditioning? Will he be ready to go three straight games in Greensboro in March? Will he be ready to play two games in three days on three straight weekends in the NCAA Tournament?

We don't know any of that. Not saying today will provide answers, but it ought to offer us a clue.

We NEED Seth at close to 100 percent. Through four games, he's been playing first-team All-ACC quality ball. We need that to continue.

I do have faith in the Duke medical staff -- and the coaching staff -- that they'll make the right decisions for Seth and the team. I'm just curious to see how much they use him today in a second game in 27 1/2 hours.
If the scoreboard is accurate, Seth is starting.

tbyers11
11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
If the scoreboard is accurate, Seth is starting.

I was just about to post the same thing. Let's go Devils.

CDu
11-23-2012, 07:18 PM
I was just about to post the same thing. Let's go Devils.

Curry did in fact start. But after a 6-0 run to start the game by VCU, Curry came out and Thornton came in.

IBleedBlue
11-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Missing early threes today!!

CDu
11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Having no trouble with VCU's pressure so far. Just not hitting open 3pt shots.

Cameron
11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Three ball, corner pocket. Nice shot, Tyler Thornton.

Love our ball movement early. It is getting better and better.

kshepinthehouse
Does anyone have the chat link?

RoyalBlue08
This color analyst (I don't know who it is) is driving me nuts. When Duke misses a wide open three, 'they can't continue to take these shots'; when Duke makes a wide open three, 'that's great offense'. How much do they pay this guy for this wisdom?

CDu
Aside from one turnover, Cook is looking really really good on offense. He's getting into the lane and finding guys for open shots. If/when those start falling, we're going to be in good shape.

~9 minutes of action and only 1 turnover against VCU's pressure. Not bad. The strategy to use Plumlee and Kelly to break the press has worked very well. Cook has done it on his own a few times too.

mapei
11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Once again, Duke gets the calls. ;)

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 07:36 PM
How in the world did the refs miss that Hairston foot of bounds play? Yikes! VCU coach has a right to be upset - that was terrible. I just hate it because all it takes is one example like that for all the haters to start hatin'

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Great, now we have the announcers joining the "Duke is flopping all over the place" crowd. Nice...

striker219
11-23-2012, 07:43 PM
How in the world did the refs miss that Hairston foot of bounds play? Yikes! VCU coach has a right to be upset - that was terrible. I just hate it because all it takes is one example like that for all the haters to start hatin'

The conspiracy will probably be that Duke dipped into their ref fund to find out who designed the court and influence his color choices so that blue shoes would blend in.

lotusland
11-23-2012, 07:46 PM

This link requires another password besides my JustinTV Password. Anyone got good link?

dchen09
11-23-2012, 07:50 PM
This link requires another password besides my JustinTV Password. Anyone got good link?

The password is the one provided in the post.

Edit: passcode: l1c4

kshepinthehouse
11-23-2012, 07:54 PM
is snrub chat up tonight?

lotusland
11-23-2012, 07:55 PM
The password is the one provided in the post.

Edit: passcode: l1c4
Thanks I totally missed that.

ChrisP
We have missed at least 3 point blank shots, by my count (but I'm a bad counter, so heck, it could be more). On at least 2 of those, our guys have been getting hacked and/or bodied in such a way that some knowledgeable people would call it a foul. Just sayin' :D

mapei
VCU=scrappy team. They have us out of sync.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow VCU are tough.
We are playing good too but something has to give by one of them.
I'm sitting on the edge of my chair.
I think we need to slow it down a bit if we want to pull ahead.

RoyalBlue08
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I liked Duke poise handling the press, attacking when it was there, pulling it out and running offense when it wasn't. I think VCU is out fighting us for loose balls and especially our defensive rebounds. I think if we can find a little more fight without losing our poise (and of course a few threes begin to fall) we should be ok in the second half.

ncexnyc
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Close game at the half. Mason and Ryan have been quiet. Our guards need to go on top of those screens. At least twice they've gone under and got burned. The team has done well against VCU's pressure and give VCU credit for never letting us pull away. I thought we were ready to make big runs twice and the Rams clawed their way back into it.

_Gary
11-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Please tell me I'm not going to have to hear announcers (in-game or "back in the studio") talking about how critical that one Hairston non-call is. So far we've got two comments about how that might decide the game. And of course I'm sure we'll have to listen to the "flop" garbage the entire season since the great and mighty Cal mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Cameron
11-23-2012, 08:06 PM
If Ryan Kelly can step up and hit a couple of shots in the second half, we'll be in good shape. We had our opportunities to really open things up and put some separation in the score, but just couldn't convert on those looks. Ryan really needs to get going, not only for this game but as we head into next week with our rematch against the Buckeyes. His confidence needs the boost.

Overall, I thought our perimeter guys did a more than respectable job of dealing with VCU's all-out, full-court defense. We won't really see anything else like this until March, so it's a great early test.

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:08 PM
If we win this game, then beat Louisville, they had better be willing to put us top 2. This is a very tough test for any team. We need to slow it down from what we were doing the last couple of possessions, but it takes a mature/efficient team to beat VCU. Cook, Curry, Kelly, Plumlee and Sulaimon are ALL looking very good so far this season.

lotusland
11-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I missed all but th very end of te fist half but it seems like a pretty low score for an up tempo game.

Les Grossman
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
when Ryan and Seth drop a couple of 3s each

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
If Ryan Kelly can step up and hit a couple of shots in the second half, we'll be in good shape. We had our opportunities to really open things up and put some separation in the score, but just couldn't convert on those looks. Ryan really needs to get going, not only for this game but as we head into next week with our rematch against the Buckeyes. His confidence needs the boost.

Overall, I thought our perimeter guys did a more than respectable job of dealing with VCU's all-out, full-court defense. We won't really see anything else like this until March, so it's a great early test.

Our opening stanza has the potential to be insane. We will surely be a battle-tested team by the time we go on break for the holidays. I look forward to the tide shifting against OSU. Mason is going to be a huge difference from last year. He is a different player, and they don't have Sullinger to contend with anymore.

IBleedBlue
11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
If we win this game, then beat Louisville, they had better be willing to put us top 2. This is a very tough test for any team. We need to slow it down from what we were doing the last couple of possessions, but it takes a mature/efficient team to beat VCU. Cook, Curry, Kelly, Plumlee and Sulaimon are ALL looking very good so far this season.

If we win today against VCU's pressure, I am not sure how much would be left in the tank for our guys to play either Louisville or Missouri. It's gonna be super tough to play full court pressure for two consecutive days.

Edouble
11-23-2012, 08:12 PM
This color analyst (I don't know who it is) is driving me nuts. When Duke misses a wide open three, 'they can't continue to take these shots'; when Duke makes a wide open three, 'that's great offense'. How much do they pay this guy for this wisdom?

UConn's own Donny Marshall.

Thoughts on the first half:

Rasheed looks like the most explosive player on the floor.
Quinn is playing really well.
Quinn and Mason are making VCU's press look pretty ineffective.
We missed a few easy shots that I thought we should have made.
I wish more teams in the ACC played with this kind of intensity and "Smart"ness. VCU is very good.

Les Grossman
11-23-2012, 08:14 PM
having a nice game

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:16 PM
If we win today against VCU's pressure, I am not sure how much would be left in the tank for our guys to play either Louisville or Missouri. It's gonna be super tough to play full court pressure for two consecutive days.

True. It makes you wish we used Amile a little more in that first game, but we didn't have any clue it was going to be THIS tough in this round. It is a war. I worry about Curry most of all because I don't want his leg to become a problem.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Finally watching my first Duke game this season...

I am in love with Sulaimon and the new and improved Quinn Cook.

Curry, Plumlee and Kelly are all still solid, but Cook and Sulaimon are the real deal.

Les Grossman
11-23-2012, 08:22 PM
has been pretty rough on VCU, as I hear it

Edouble
11-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Not sure why Mason is not in the game at this point. 16:00 left, up by 11.

Why not nail the coffin shut?

Maybe he'll be back in after the timeout.

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Not sure why Mason is not in the game at this point. 16:00 left, up by 11.

Why not nail the coffin shut?

Maybe he'll be back in after the timeout.

Conservation of energy is my guess. If we win, we could have the #2 team tomorrow. This game would be taxing enough without that looming on the horizon.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
If there is a mildly controversial call that goes against Duke, I sure hope these announcers give it the same amount of discussion and air time. But I won't hold my breath...

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
If there is a mildly controversial call that goes against Duke, I sure hope these announcers give it the same amount of discussion and air time. But I won't hold my breath...

Oh like the clean block by Seth? :)

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Son of a Gun! We block it twice and then the pinball goes to VCU for an "and 1"!!! Grrr....:mad:

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I really hope the next time we really open it up, we slow it down a little.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:39 PM
No mention, of course, by the announcers about that shot Tyler just took to the face for VCU to get the steal. Typical.

Edouble
11-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Conservation of energy is my guess. If we win, we could have the #2 team tomorrow. This game would be taxing enough without that looming on the horizon.

HA HA! Oops, I forgot about that. Seth did a good job of taking over while Mason was out.

_Gary
11-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Agreed Chris. This has been a brutal game to listen to from an announcing standpoint. I'm having major Billy Packer flashbacks. Ugh.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 08:45 PM
No mention, of course, by the announcers about that shot Tyler just took to the face for VCU to get the steal. Typical.

Theyre letting them play and we've had a few calls go our way so I'm not going to quabble over it. I think the bigger question mark is why Tyler is dribbling, then picking up his dribble into a double team. I have not been impressed at all with Tyler's play.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 08:46 PM
We need to slow it down again.
There pressure is something else.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Theyre letting them play and we've had a few calls go our way so I'm not going to quabble over it. I think the bigger question mark is why Tyler is dribbling, then picking up his dribble into a double team. I have not been impressed at all with Tyler's play.

True. Well, I won't say I'm not at all impressed, but I get your point. Cook was guilty, too, early in the game of dribbling to the corner and stopping :(

75Crazie
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes, I don't think we have any real call to complain about the officiating -- no-calls are going both ways.

I am really, really impressed with VCU. I cannot understand how they were not ranked -- win or lose, they should be ranked after this weekend.

striker219
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM

I think the complaint is the announcing, not the officiating.

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
We are starting to wear down. We've got to get a second, third or fourth wind and stay mentally strong. VCU is grueling. Plus, how are there nine minutes left in this game?

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Shaka is really willing his team into their pace and energy. PLEASE GET THE BALL TO MASON!!!!

_Gary
11-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Exactly. I don't have any problems with the officiating. It's the blasted UConn announcer that's killing me.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I would REALLY love to see us get Mason the dang ball in the low post - at least try it, ya know?

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Agreed, they showed the moving screen but didn't show TT's foul on the And 1 where it didn't look like much. But the block on Kelly was humorous. Redic was pushing his body into him and trying to use the sideline but Kelly got a step ahead. That is a normal block, not "buying" a call of any sorts.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Agreed, they showed the moving screen but didn't show TT's foul on the And 1 where it didn't look like much. But the block on Kelly was humorous. Redic was pushing his body into him and trying to use the sideline but Kelly got a step ahead. That is a normal block, not "buying" a call of any sorts.

Yes, that annoyed the crap out of me. 99% of officials would make that block call.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I would REALLY love to see us get Mason the dang ball in the low post - at least try it, ya know?

Aaaannnnd Mason bricks the layup :(

slower
11-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Seriously? Come ON, Mason.

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Gotta finish that. Dunk it or finger roll but an off handed layup wasn't the smartest.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Just can't seem to put em away....

Hit some shots!

sporthenry
Well nobody can say this isn't a good test for our guards. Probably won't see a team like this again all season but hopefully guards learn to settle it down and get it to Mason. Whoever comes out of this game will be spent, don't see them being able to compete with Louisville.

mapei
We're getting a lot of gifts at the FT line.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
They're missing a lot of FT's, we're getting lucky.

mapei
11-23-2012, 08:59 PM
If VCU could shoot, we'd be behind 2-6 points.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 08:59 PM

True, but we are not playing very well on the offensive end. VCU has a lot to do with that, for sure, but we seem a little rattled the last several possessions.

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 09:00 PM

True, but that is the poison to "Havoc" as they are tired too.

Really impressed with Curry's composure. The lob was a good idea but he has settled the team down and looked for easy baskets even if he apparently "flopped" like Kobe and Lebron do ten times a game.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 09:01 PM
A date with Louisville less than 24 hours later if we pull this one out? That is just brutal.

mapei
Can we get ONE rebound, please??????

_Gary
UConn Donny is determined to make the "flopping" association with Duke. He's mentioned that at least 3 times in this game. Unbelievable.

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 09:02 PM
A date with Louisville less than 24 hours later if we pull this one out? That is just brutal.

Or Mizzou who I assume plays a similar style to VCU as they did last year. And OSU in 4 days. Christmas break can't come soon enough.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Wow, NOW they call the charge?

Lots of lucky bounces on offense for VCU, but also leaving points at the line. Going to be a tight one.

slower
11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Mason has made a few "old Mason" plays tonight. He needs to settle down. Although, it must be nearly impossible with the mugging - er, swarming - defense that VCU plays.

mapei
I really hope this is our one stinker of a game and it's an anomaly, cuz we're looking pretty bad right now.

ChicagoCrazy84
Or Mizzou who I assume plays a similar style to VCU as they did last year. And OSU in 4 days. Christmas break can't come soon enough.

Yep. If this is not the toughest pre-season schedule in the country, I don't know who would get that honor.

In the meantime, can someone PLEASE make a big shot for us??

sporthenry
UConn Donny is determined to make the "flopping" association with Duke. He's mentioned that at least 3 times in this game. Unbelievable.

No mention of flopping against Mason. Guess that wasn't a "flop" in his book. I'd love to hear him call an NBA game. What Greg Paulus did on his attempt of a charge was a flop. This is just a player getting fouled and making sure the official sees it.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow, NOW they call the charge?

Lots of lucky bounces on offense for VCU, but also leaving points at the line. Going to be a tight one.

But you KNOW there is no way that could have possibly been a flop by the VCU guy, right? You do know that, right? ;)

ChicagoCrazy84
I really hope this is our one stinker of a game and it's an anomaly, cuz we're looking pretty bad right now.

Yeah, win or lose I have to imagine Coach K will get on these kids for this. They are thoroughly out working us.

75Crazie
Definitely a VCU flop on that one ... not that it was mentioned by anybody.

enick66
11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
VCU is really exploiting the lack of physicality of the guards. Just getting dominated on the boards.

FerryFor50
No mention of flopping against Mason. Guess that wasn't a "flop" in his book. I'd love to hear him call an NBA game. What Greg Paulus did on his attempt of a charge was a flop. This is just a player getting fouled and making sure the official sees it.

No replays, either. But Hairston got a few replays when he drew the charge...

Dukeblue91
We are playing sloppy is all heck.
It is a miracle that we are still up by a couple.
They are out hustling us.

striker219
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Enough with the flop talk.

mapei
"Duke will flop"

slower
Okay, Uconn Donny is SERIOUSLY pissing me off now. Put a lid on it, pal.

ChrisP
I am tire of UCon Donny talking about VCU outworking us. They are playing hard, no doubt and I have a lot of respect for them tonight (OMG, this dude just mentioned us flopping AGAIN as I'm typing this!) but part of the reason they have gotten the last few rebounds is because they clearly went over our guys' back.

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 09:08 PM
If I hear flop again, I'm writing NBC!

House G

Yes, this will go on all season so that, come tournament time, our opponent will get all the calls. If we're flopping, they're hacking.

dchen09
How is massive contact below the basket a "flop". Geez.

mapei
We can't shoot and can't rebound, but otherwise we're pretty good. ;)

Cameron
11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I wonder whom "UConn Donny" wants to win? Hmmmmmmm. It's a brain teaser!

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I love Curry, but that 3 early in the shot clock this late in the game with this little of a lead was a bad shot, IMHO. Run some clock!

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
We can't shoot and can't rebound, but otherwise we're pretty good. ;)

Our boys have earned some Gatorade after this thing is over! They were doing both of those things when the game started.

ChicagoCrazy84
How is massive contact below the basket a "flop". Geez.

Somebody should seriously write NBC. This guy is REALLY ANNOYING.

sporthenry
Yes, this will go on all season so that, come tournament time, our opponent will get all the calls. If we're flopping, they're hacking.

I think it is more him playing to his audience. Uconn fans will adore him more and I'm sure plenty of the level headed fans agree with his commentary.

Dukeblue91
Enough with the flop talk.

I know this crap is ridiculous, every time someone at Duke falls down it is now called a flop.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
LOL. A flop? On a reach in?

Edouble
11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Marshall just called Curry's pivot a "flop".

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Good job on the FT's Seth!

ChicagoCrazy84
Another flop mention. This is beyond awful. I can't believe this guy is calling this game.

_Gary
And yet again with the "flop" from UConn Danny. That's at least half a dozen references. What a joke.

mapei
Looked to me like that was an elbow in the face, not a flop :(

striker219
11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Our boys have earned some Gatorade after this thing is over! They were doing both of those things when the game started.

Plus, every time you flop you have to get back up off the floor, and that has to be really wearing them out by this point. All that up and down, I'm amazed they're still on the court.
:p

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I wish we'd stop throwing it to the sidelines...

Gthoma2a
11-23-2012, 09:15 PM
This is the first time my nerves are killing me this season. It really is here!:p

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 09:16 PM
I wish we'd stop throwing it to the sidelines...

Yeah, 'cause the refs are apparently going to let VCU slap and slap and slap at the ball (and body parts) with no call.

ChrisP
11-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I cannot BELIEVE that Mason flopped after that dude knocked him down :D

slower
11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
As The Dude would say - "Donny, you're out of your element!" Well, actually, that would be John Goodman's character.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, 'cause the refs are apparently going to let VCU slap and slap and slap at the ball (and body parts) with no call.

Beyond that, there's nowhere to go. You have to adjust to how the game is called, which I think Duke did nicely... but that means don't help a trapping team by using the sidelines as another defender.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Wheeewww!!!!!

mapei
Except for VCU's glaring weakness shooting FGs and FTs, we were thoroughly outplayed IMHO.

striker219
Woohoo!

Now, lets up that the Louisville and Missouri guards beat the snot out of each other for the next couple of hours.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Except for VCU's glaring weakness shooting FGs and FTs, we were thoroughly outplayed IMHO.

I disagree. VCU challenged us, but they didn't thoroughly outplay us by any means.

- Duke had a better assist to turnover ratio
- Duke shot better
- Duke easily beat their press most of the game

The only gripe you can have is that they looked a little worn down at the end, but gutted out a win.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 09:27 PM
wow I hope we don't play them again anytime soon.
They gave us all we wanted and then some.
If they'd learn how to shoot and make Ft we would have lost this game.
Hopefully we still have gas left in the tank tomorrow when we play.
I don't think coach K will be very happy with this game.

dchen09
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I think the biggest issue with rebounding is that we don't do a very good job blocking out. The problem with Mason for awhile now is that he doesn't seem willing to hold his position on the defensive end. It seems like he relies on his jumping ability to grab rebounds. There were several times when VCU got offensive rebounds when he was just standing straight up and down, narrow base and not really putting a body on anyone. This gave VCU plenty of space to jump in and get offensive rebounds.

mapei
11-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I disagree. VCU challenged us, but they didn't thoroughly outplay us by any means.

- Duke had a better assist to turnover ratio
- Duke shot better
- Duke easily beat their press most of the game

The only gripe you can have is that they looked a little worn down at the end, but gutted out a win.

I have a gripe with the way we were so thoroughly outrebounded. VCU must have taken many more shots than we did. If they hit them or hit even half their second-half free throws, including even one front end of 1-and-1s, we could have lost to an unranked team. Personally, I'm hoping this turns out to be our worst game. I guarantee that K won't be so satisfied. ;)

DBFAN
11-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a gripe with the way we were so thoroughly outrebounded. VCU must have taken many more shots than we did. If they hit them or hit even half their second-half free throws, including even one front end of 1-and-1s, we could have lost to an unranked team. Personally, I'm hoping this turns out to be our worst game. I guarantee that K won't be so satisfied. ;)

I see what you are saying but if we hit half our threes and layups this game isn't even close. They don't hit their free throws because of the helter skelter defense that took away their legs at the end

striker219
11-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Per the bastion of accuracy that is ESPN, they took 64 shots to our 48.

Also, Mason was 7-8 from the line and QC and 9 assists. That's not related, I just enjoyed typing it.

FerryFor50
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM

We weren't thoroughly outrebounded.

The final count was 37-32 for VCU.

Granted, I would have liked to have seen a better effort on the glass.

uh_no
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Per the bastion of accuracy that is ESPN, they took 64 shots to our 48.

Also, Mason was 7-8 from the line and QC and 9 assists. That's not related, I just enjoyed typing it.

well, that sounds about right since they had 16 offensive rebounds

devildeac
11-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Foul! Circular reference!

Technical foul! Ademola Okulaja reference!:rolleyes: