PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Minnesota (Nov. 22, 2012)

JBDuke
11-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 89-71 win over Minnesota in the Battle for Atlantis?

Kedsy
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Mason was outstanding, and his stats were amazing, but I voted for Seth. He made so many "dagger" shots and scored better than three quarters of a point per minute, and even played pretty good defense, and he did it all on a bum leg.

Obviously I considered Mason, but I also considered Ryan and Quinn as well. Frankly, all five of our starters could make a decent argument for taking today's MOTM honors.

Newton_14
11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I cheated and went with Mason in this poll (he was a man out there and we absolutely do not win without him) but I voted for Seth on the front page poll. Seth broke their will by answering seemingly every big Minnesota basket, including several times after the Gophers had defended well for 32 seconds, with daggers. The Houdini plays Seth made were ridiculous too. But man has Mason grown his game. Confidence is such a huge factor. For the first time in his career Mason believes in himself, and every move is confident and aggressive. Everybody caught the behind the back dribble driving from the elbow right? There was a time when K would have turned beet red and come out of his shoes if Mason tried a move like that. Today he did not flinch. Just another one of his All Americans making a play. This has been a long time coming.

Mason, we salute you, The Man of the Match!

sagegrouse
11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Mason was outstanding, and his stats were amazing, but I voted for Seth. He made so many "dagger" shots and scored better than three quarters of a point per minute, and even played pretty good defense, and he did it all on a bum leg.

Obviously I considered Mason, but I also considered Ryan and Quinn as well. Frankly, all five of our starters could make a decent argument for taking today's MOTM honors.

Mason gets my vote for carrying us through a difficult first half. Then the shooters took over.

sagegrouse

Newton_14
11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Agree. Great balance. And I agree with Seth Davis in that somebody needs to clue Ryan Kelly in to the fact that he has star potential. Ryan needs to take those confidence pills that Mason is taking. There is no reason those two guys cannot become one of the best frontlines in the country, and the compliment each other perfectly. Quinn was really good again today as well. Same for Rasheed who picked his spots to impose his will. Good to see Amile get some burn at the 4 spot too. Once he adds bulk and strength his game is going to take off.

TruBlu
11-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Did the math: With one rebound in 52 seconds for Murph, this would translate to 46.153 rebounds if he had played a full 40 minutes! (Just kidding folks, I'm not the one who voted for him.)

It was a close call between Mason & Seth, but I voted for Seth. Listening on the radio, it just seemed that he hit a bunch of shots at key times during the game. I gave extra credit to him for playing on one and a half legs.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Did the math: With one rebound in 52 seconds for Murph, this would translate to 46.153 rebounds if he had played a full 40 minutes! (Just kidding folks, I'm not the one who voted for him.)

It was a close call between Mason & Seth, but I voted for Seth. Listening on the radio, it just seemed that he hit a bunch of shots at key times during the game. I gave extra credit to him for playing on one and a half legs.

I could have gone for either, but went for Mason.
As far as the vote for Alex, if anyone else is pondering a vote for him, don't even bother voting.

Dukeblue91
11-23-2012, 08:19 AM
It was a toss up between Mason and Seth but I went with Mason as he just showed up huge with what he did.

sagegrouse
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
As far as the vote for Alex, if anyone else is pondering a vote for him, don't even bother voting.

The Alex Murphy blip shows the strengths of Duke's biblical studies program: "The voice of one crying in the wilderness." Mark 1:3.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
11-23-2012, 09:05 AM
If someone decides to follow Duke because they like Alex, I am okay with it.

captmojo
11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I could have gone for either, but went for Mason.

Vote anyway you want, Tru. You know I enjoy your thinking CBB, but I can't help but remember all the pre-season first-place votes for Duke football by a 'certain' coach over the years. :D Bless his heart! Maybe Alex needs a confidence boost to win more playing time. I hope to see it. There is a lot of potential there.

I voted Mason. And it was with emphasis, following the dribble-drive display from the right wing for a dunk, that began out by the 3-point arc, during the second half. His control, in the total aspect of his game characteristics, was on full display in this one. Great job! His improvement from the free-throw line has been remarkable and I hope he can maintain to the point of habit. One of the most valuable assets to a champion is having a center that is known as a threat to their opponent by the ability to score at the line. This has been a sore spot on Duke's roster for in the recent past. His rebounding is also displaying an assertiveness level unseen until now. Desire under control.

Scenes I'd like to see...ball drivers that are willing to accept giving up a shot fake before going up to see their weak attempt getting smacked out to second row of spectators. :( Confidence isn't always translated to reality. Six Duke shots were blocked yesterday.

killerleft
11-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Excellent game by all. I went with Quinn as MOTM, because we really need for him to step up like he did last night. I have a feeling that Colonel Plum and Cap'n Curry will show again in these polls, so just decided to give some credit to the Mighty Quinn. LOL, Mighty Quinn is not for the young'uns, I fear.

Colonel Plum in the Ballroom with the Guns?

OldPhiKap
11-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Excellent game by all. I went with Quinn as MOTM, because we really need for him to step up like he did last night. I have a feeling that Colonel Plum and Cap'n Curry will show again in these polls, so just decided to give some credit to the Mighty Quinn. LOL, Mighty Quinn is not for the young'uns, I fear.

Colonel Plum in the Ballroom with the Guns?

"Come on, without.
Come on, within.
You've not seen nothing
Like the Mighty Quinn."

killerleft
11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
"Come on, without.
Come on, within.
You've not seen nothing
Like the Mighty Quinn."

"Come on, without.
Come on, within.
You've not seen nothing
Like the Mighty Quinn."

"Quinn the Eskimo (Mighty Quinn)" was written by Bob Dylan (!) but made famous by Mannfred Mann, a British band. If our Quinn is half the man the song's namesake is purported to be, we should be very good, indeed!