PDA

View Full Version : SI feeds the Kentucky hype machine

nmduke2001
11-21-2012, 10:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/11/20/kentucky-nba-prospects-nerlens-noel/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

Not sure why, but this article really bothers me.

moonpie23
11-21-2012, 10:48 PM
sounds like he should be working for the NBDL instead of a university...

KenTankerous
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/11/20/kentucky-nba-prospects-nerlens-noel/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

Not sure why, but this article really bothers me.

What bothers me about the Calipayme factory is that none of Anthony Davis' or Kidd-Gilchrist's or any of the other millionaire money is coming back to the Commenwealth. We showcased these kids, gave them the platform to BOUNCE into the NBA and all we get is to buy them NCAA NC rings?

And the worst part is, this is all within the rules of the game...

So should one and done players be obligated to pay back their scholarship money? Or maybe fund futures?

uh_no
11-22-2012, 01:48 AM
What bothers me about the Calipayme factory is that none of Anthony Davis' or Kidd-Gilchrist's or any of the other millionaire money is coming back to the Commenwealth. We showcased these kids, gave them the platform to BOUNCE into the NBA and all we get is to buy them NCAA NC rings?

And the worst part is, this is all within the rules of the game...

So should one and done players be obligated to pay back their scholarship money? Or maybe fund futures?

I think a counterargument is that the fact that that team was phenomenal (and champions) brought a phenomenal amount of attention and revenue to the school. To suggest that they "owe" the school, or the taxpayers, anything further borders on absurd....they generated so much for the school already (aside from what they cost in "hundred dollar handshakes" of course) that I think the state broke even on those deals....

KenTankerous
11-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Please explain to me in what tangible way did the University or the state benefit from last year's one and done championship season.

The t-shirts and hoodies sold would have been purchased anyway.

Enrollment is what it is, as it always has been.

One and done's owe.

Plain and simple.

ns7
11-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Please explain to me in what tangible way did the University or the state benefit from last year's one and done championship season.

The t-shirts and hoodies sold would have been purchased anyway.

Enrollment is what it is, as it always has been.

One and done's owe.

Plain and simple.

I'm pretty sure that National Championship teams sell more merchandise than 20-12 teams. Excellent performance in sports such as basketball and football also raises the number of applications, which indirectly raises the quality of student that enrolls at the university. Finally, sports are a great mechanism to maintain relationships with alumni. Alumni come back to go to games, have a great time on campus, and then donate to the school.

My guess all of this is worth more than the $10-15k each one-and-done received. It's probably enough to cover Calipari's salary as well.