PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Minnesota Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts in this thread.

The game is to be broadcast on AXS.TV, which is a little unusual. There's a thread here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?29652-Anyone-know-how-to-watch-the-game-next-Thursday-on-AXS-TV)about where you might find the broadcast.

gep
11-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Saratoga2

UNC Should Have Won

UNC showed later in the game, that if they played determined defense and used their advantage in size and athleticism they could have and should have won. The problem is they played weakly and let Butler outhustle, outrebound and outplay them in every way for all of the first half and for at least 5 minutes of the second half. Old Roy should have been able to do more earlier, but didn't. Butler is a very well coached team with a lot of good ball handlers and shooters and they are hard to rattle. We certainly know about how difficult they can be to play and beat.

It should also be a lesson for our Duke team, who has come out slowly too often. They need to play with determination, hustle and play intelligently, or they too could be humiliated by Minnesota or one of the teams we face in Nassau.

I lifted this post from the Maui Invitational - unc/Butler "thread". When I first saw what was happening to unc, this is the first thing I thought of... Duke cannot be un-focused for a second in this holiday tournament... especially with the competition. I hope they enjoyed their (early) Thanksgiving dinner, and are *ready to go*.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL... and especially GO DUKE!!!

NSDukeFan
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Saratoga2

UNC Should Have Won

UNC showed later in the game, that if they played determined defense and used their advantage in size and athleticism they could have and should have won. The problem is they played weakly and let Butler outhustle, outrebound and outplay them in every way for all of the first half and for at least 5 minutes of the second half. Old Roy should have been able to do more earlier, but didn't. Butler is a very well coached team with a lot of good ball handlers and shooters and they are hard to rattle. We certainly know about how difficult they can be to play and beat.

It should also be a lesson for our Duke team, who has come out slowly too often. They need to play with determination, hustle and play intelligently, or they too could be humiliated by Minnesota or one of the teams we face in Nassau.

I lifted this post from the Maui Invitational - unc/Butler "thread". When I first saw what was happening to unc, this is the first thing I thought of... Duke cannot be un-focused for a second in this holiday tournament... especially with the competition. I hope they enjoyed their (early) Thanksgiving dinner, and are *ready to go*.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL... and especially GO DUKE!!!

I am scared about this game, because Minnesota is a good team, it would not be fun to be in the loser's bracket (though the team would still get two more good games in this stacked tournament), would love to see the team start the year off with a championship (though that will be a very difficult task with some solid opposition) and I sometimes get a bit nervous before games that Duke could lose The flip side is coach K and his staff tend to do an excellent job (maybe better than anyone in the country?) of getting his teams focused every game and playing well early in the year. I like the way the team has started out this year and am confident the team will be ready to play this afternoon. This year has the potential to be an excellent start to the season in terms of great games vs. very good competition. Great scheduling! (Oops, sorry. There should be more "real" road games.) ;)

dukeballboy88
11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Duke only opened up as a 2.5 point favorite. Its now at 3.5 so the public likes Duke. Neutral site, #5 team in the nation vs an unranked opponent, only a 2.5 favorite? Vegas thinks alot of the Gophers, or they are not sold on Duke. wich do you guys think is the case?

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
i doubt that K reads the vegas odds to the team.....

jay
11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm wishing this game was earlier in the day. With all that food in my stomach and what looks like a potential nail-biter, I'm starting to seriously worry about major indigestion.

I'll have the Maalox handy!

MChambers
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Duke only opened up as a 2.5 point favorite. Its now at 3.5 so the public likes Duke. Neutral site, #5 team in the nation vs an unranked opponent, only a 2.5 favorite? Vegas thinks alot of the Gophers, or they are not sold on Duke. wich do you guys think is the case?
Maybe bettors don't think much of the polls and pay more attention to Sagarin and Pomeroy.

cptnflash
11-22-2012, 11:10 AM
This game is extremely scary, much more so than Kentucky in my opinion. Pomeroy has it as a toss-up. The Gophers have everyone back from a solid team last year, plus Mbakwe appears to be fully healthy. He will be a great test for Mason inside. This is an unbelievably stacked tournament... probably 6 of the 8 teams are capable of winning it, basically anyone other than Stanford and Northern Iowa.

tele
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
This would be a good game for Ryan "Maui Mvp" Kelly to have a solid game.

roywhite
11-22-2012, 11:42 AM
This game is extremely scary, much more so than Kentucky in my opinion. Pomeroy has it as a toss-up. The Gophers have everyone back from a solid team last year, plus Mbakwe appears to be fully healthy. He will be a great test for Mason inside. This is an unbelievably stacked tournament... probably 6 of the 8 teams are capable of winning it, basically anyone other than Stanford and Northern Iowa.

Mbakwe is still around?

Tubby is a solid coach, and apparently has an experienced team...won't be easy, but a Blue Devil win should follow the turkey, stuffing, cranberries, etc.

tommy
11-22-2012, 11:45 AM
This would be a good game for Ryan "Maui Mvp" Kelly to have a solid game.

Minnesota's been starting two big guys. In addition to Mbekwe, they've been starting 6'10" 260 pound Elliott Eliason. One of those guys is going to have to come outside to play Ryan, and won't be used to doing that, so he should have some opportunies. Of coure, Ryan will have to defend one of them inside at the other end, though Eliason is nothing like the offensive threat that Mbekwe is.

Billy Dat
11-22-2012, 11:49 AM
The scariest thing about this game is that, if they lose, I have no games to watch this weekend because Cablevision doesn't carry AXS TV...Go Duke!!!

Olympic Fan
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
First, if you do get to watch the game today on whatever cable system you have, look for an old friend on the Minnesota bench -- Vince Taylor, Coack K's second All-ACC player (although recruitd by Bill Foster), is an assistant to Tubby Smith and will be on hand.

Secondly, I agree that this is a scary team because Minnesota could be undervalued nationally -- kind of like unranked Oklahoma State (the team that spanked No. 6 NC State) and unranked Butler (which handled No. 9 UNC) were. The Gophers barely missed the AP top 25 by six votes and are actually ranked higher than Duke (No. 12 vs. No. 13) by Pomeroy. Of course, it's a bit early to pay too much attention to his rankings, but he does project this as a 50-50 game.

According to Pomeroy's pre-tourney projection, he gives Duke a 50 percent chance of winning the opener, a 32 percent chance of reaching the finals and am 18 percent chance of winning the tournament. That's actually second-best to Louisville, which is helped by an easy opener (Northern Iowa) and rates at 78/59/35. Minnesota is the third-best team. Oddly, he gives VCU a 54-46 edge over Memphis in the first round!

THAT would be the real nightmare lose to Minnesota, then face Memphis in the consolation round!

subzero02
11-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Considering the very small line, I think it's safe to say that Vegas feels Minnesota will cause us some matchup problems... I don't see it happening and expect/hope for a double digit win. Solid defense and a consistent effort will go a long way in turning that line on its head

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 01:08 PM
what's the vegas line on coach vs. coach? i'll take our coach....

hudlow
11-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Cautious maybe...scared never.

Go Duke.

hud

cptnflash
11-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Mbakwe is still around?

Tubby is a solid coach, and apparently has an experienced team...won't be easy, but a Blue Devil win should follow the turkey, stuffing, cranberries, etc.

Yes, somehow he still has eligibility, despite the fact that he was in the class of 2007. Sat out two years when he transferred (not sure why), and then missed most of last year with a torn ACL.

tommy
11-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes, somehow he still has eligibility, despite the fact that he was in the class of 2007. Sat out two years when he transferred (not sure why), and then missed most of last year with a torn ACL.

The NCAA granted him a sixth year of eligibility.

ScreechTDX1847
11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Can you stream AXS TV? It appears it isn't on Time Warner Cable.

wtm001
11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Can you stream AXS TV? It appears it isn't on Time Warner Cable.

This link is pulled from another thread. Credit goes to 91_92_01_10

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/154723/1/watch-minnesota-vs-5-duke.html

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
oh no.......seth davis........ugh.....this might be a video only....

tuning into bob harris in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

wtm001
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
STREAM IS UP AND WORKING! LETS GO DUKE!

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/154723/1/watch-minnesota-vs-5-duke.html

gep
11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
oh no.......seth davis........ugh.....this might be a video only....

tuning into bob harris in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Where is Bob Harris on the internet?

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Or has the quality of announcing gone down? This announcing crew is just not that good.

In another vein, is the 5-second delay still going? I used to watch on ESPN and play Bob Harris on the radio, but I remember after the Janet Jackson Super Bowl it was always behind. Does that still happen?

Thanks!

riverside6
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14439

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 03:53 PM
That is a foul? And people wonder why the game is more physical. Just jump into someone and look for a call.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 03:53 PM
are horrendous. Couple of missed fouls on both ends, then the REAL kind of flopping just now (12:30 or so).. guy took a dive. No travel called and no one touched him.

Ridiculous.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
The tournament is partially sponsored by UnderArmour.

Ha. Ha.

Son of Mojo
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
are horrendous. Couple of missed fouls on both ends, then the REAL kind of flopping just now (12:30 or so).. guy took a dive. No travel called and no one touched him.

Ridiculous.

They won't call hard contact at all but will call hand-checks..........ok..........

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 04:04 PM
bob not calling the game on local radio.....someone else.....

i listen to bob on the local radio station and it's about 5 seconds in front of the tv...

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 04:06 PM
That looked like a block on TT. Thought the refs were going to call block if it was a close call but this should benefit Duke going forward.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
They won't call hard contact at all but will call hand-checks..........ok..........

Nice to see that I wasn't the only one who saw two huge fouls, and then quinn breathes on a guy and gets a foul before the TV timeout.

Whatever, we're awesome.

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Mason with 10 and 8 with 2 assists and 1 steal with only 1 turnover. When do we start the Mason POY Vigil?

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 04:16 PM
What the heck was he thinking??? Hope he's ok.

Son of Mojo
11-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you Quinn!! Geez.........hate to terp but there have been more than some questionable calls/no-calls in that half. Going to have to fight through that in the 2nd.

BlueDevil16
11-22-2012, 04:24 PM
How can the tourney pay out 2 million+ to each team? Not seeing the financials there...

ScreechTDX1847
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Pretty poor and inconsistent officiating so far for both sides.

g-money
11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Q Cook!!!

If there hadn't been so many botched calls, we would easily be ahead by double digits at the half.

delfrio
11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Pretty poor and inconsistent officiating so far for both sides.

Yeah, consistency has been terrible. No call on a travel on one end, but then Kelly called for it on the other (even without control of the ball). Charge called on Rasheed on offense but exact same play is a blocking foul on Kelly on the other end. Confusing.

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 04:28 PM
adjustments at halftime.........trust in k...

is it just my connection, but the crowd looks like they are completely in the dark and only the floor is lighted......strange...

Dukeblue91
11-22-2012, 04:31 PM
The Officiating is atrocious on both sides of the court.
Where did they find them.

Newton_14
11-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Refs are horrible. And that is me being polite. K was ripping one of them at the end of the half

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
1st half thoughts:

Positives:

Mason - looking like ACC POY

Cook - playing with confidence

team defense

Negatives:

Kelly - playing out-of-control somewhat

Curry - bad intentional foul but otherwise solid

REALLY NEGATIVE:

officiating!

Side Note - Announcing is not that bad and I actually like the lower-key tone as a departure from the ESPN hype machine. Aslo, the lower camera angles make me feel like I'm actually at the game - very authentic feel.

rocketeli
11-22-2012, 04:33 PM
the officiating seems to leave something to be desired-where are these guys from?

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I have rarely been this flabbergasted. The no-call on the slide from Ahanmisi, but then Kelly get's called for a travel when he doesn't even have possession? The charges called when guys are sliding? The worst was probably the call where the ref from the end of the court comes over and calls it out of bounds on Duke when everyone in the ballroom saw it goes off the hands of the Gophers. Arrggh!

We should probably be up by at least 10 if not more here at the half. In that first half, we seriously outplayed Minnesota. Mason in a beast, Cook and Sulaimon are shooting it well, and Kelly and Curry are just doing their thing. Defense is looking very good this year so far. I like this team and will not complain about the refs for at least another half. Hope they clean it up tomorrow!

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2012, 04:37 PM
1st half thoughts:

Side Note - Announcing is not that bad and I actually like the lower-key tone as a departure from the ESPN hype machine. Aslo, the lower camera angles make me feel like I'm actually at the game - very authentic feel.

Agreed! I like this crew. It's nice to not have their opinions be so forced. The announcers just seem chill, which is a nice break from things.

devildeac
11-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Where is Bob Harris on the internet?

Bob stayed in Derm for the FB game. Heard that on the post-game show Sunday night.

77devil
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
adjustments at halftime.........trust in k...

is it just my connection, but the crowd looks like they are completely in the dark and only the floor is lighted......strange...

The lighting for the floor is stage lighting. The arena is so small there is plenty of residual light in the seats.

arnie
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
the officiating seems to leave something to be desired-where are these guys from?

I generally believe officials do well considering pace of the game. This is a blatant exception- honestly don't know if this crew has any experience. The charge on sheed was as bad as any I've seen. Maybe K can hand them a rule book.

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM

At the very least. He has to be in the discussion for NPOY. I'm sure some can think of others but I'd put Mason up there with Deshaun Thomas and McCollum as my front runners.

devildeac
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Court was "imported' into the hotel ballroom and overhead lighting installed.

77devil
11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
1st half thoughts:

Positives:

Cook - playing with confidence

team defense

Negatives:

Kelly - playing out-of-control somewhat

Curry - bad intentional foul but otherwise solid

REALLY NEGATIVE:

officiating!

Don't forget the turnovers. Very sloppy ball handling in the first 10 minutes.

juise
11-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Duke looking to go undefeated in ballroom play this year. The tourney selection committee cannot deny those non-conference ballroom wins.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I think Curry's leg injury has given him an "old man's game" and I like it!

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
strong rebound and shot-attempt by Kelly - Nice.

AtlBluRew
11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

LOL, thanks for the explanation! I am not getting the game on TV but did see an update on ESPN. Definitely weird lighting!

slower
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM
strong rebound and shot-attempt by Kelly - Nice.

Yeah, but he just can't seem to hold his own inside, in many instances.

Too much sloppy, out-of-control play in general, as well - by everybody.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Duke looking to go undefeated in ballroom play this year. The tourney selection committee cannot deny those non-conference ballroom wins.

Would they hang a banner for first win in a ballroom court? Assuming they won?

Can't help it...

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Mason is a joy to watch. K will probably have a DVD in his pocket of Mason's highlights for the rest of his recruiting trips. But on top of everything, the fact they have increased his FT shooting almost 27% (obviously Mason deserves the most credit) is truly remarkable. Hopefully the FT shooting keeps up.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Awesome near-steal!! May be sloppy, but the boys are hustling all over the place today!

IBleedBlue
11-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Can't watch this game up here in Montreal but can someone tell if Alex Murphy entered the game yet?

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Unless someone else did? Announcers did make a comment regarding the pretty even 8-man rotation we've established.

juise
11-22-2012, 05:09 PM
8 minutes to go... No bench point yet. That's a bit concerning (not a comment about playing time).

Native
11-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Unless someone else did? Announcers did make a comment regarding the pretty even 8-man rotation we've established.

Haven't seen him either. 8 men are Cook, Thornton, Curry, Sulaimon, Amile, Josh, Kelly, Mason.

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Can't seem to pull away. I know Minnesota is only shooting 43% but the past few minutes, Duke has had a few too many lapses on the defensive end.

Dukeblue91
11-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Rasheed is looking great.
I'm very impressed with him.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Can't seem to pull away. I know Minnesota is only shooting 43% but the past few minutes, Duke has had a few too many lapses on the defensive end.

The flip-side is we haven't let them make a run, either. Workman-like performance so far.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Sulaimon is playing incredibly well. Offense from bench is missing because Andre would be coming off the bench as a scorer. Jefferson may develop into a scorer, but it seems like K swaps offense for high-power defense on the subs. Thoughts?

juise
11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
8 minutes to go... No bench point yet. That's a bit concerning (not a comment about playing time).

Amile on the board!

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 05:17 PM
The flip-side is we haven't let them make a run, either. Workman-like performance so far.

No doubt. Offense has been very efficient, just afraid a few empty trips and they are back in it. But I would agree, not to be disparaging, but this has been one of those unremarkable, efficient wins. I think this is what separates Duke from most is games like this while it isn't the prettiest, still an effective game.

Fouls are an issue but I'll chalk that up to the refs.

Indoor66
11-22-2012, 05:18 PM
What the heck is the score?

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Too much to not enough? 77-64 with 5:14

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
What the heck is the score?

Duke up 75-64

juise
11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Too much to not enough? 77-64 with 5:14

Shot by Curry was a back breaker.

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Shot by Curry was a back breaker.

Agreed. Benefit of a more veteran team. They had all 4 of their second half timeouts and Cook recognized this and used one effectively giving the ball to one of the best coaches coming out of the timeout.

FerryFor50
11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Best part of this game? 5 guys in double figures and duke is not relying as much on the 3.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Being VERY selective and efficient. 8-10 last I checked. Nice to see him call a timeout just to go off on these refs.

FerryFor50
11-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Not watching but the box score has been depressing. 3 duke players with 4 fouls. And 2 of the most important players to boot.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Best part of this game? 5 guys in double figures and duke is not relying as much on the 3.

Effective point guard play is providing easy 2 point baskets.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Not watching but the box score has been depressing. 3 duke players with 4 fouls. And 2 of the most important players to boot.

Don't be depressed. Alot of positive play from all the starters. If not for some questionable calls, this game is a 20 point blowout.

chaosmage
11-22-2012, 05:30 PM

You'd understand (not a snarky comment). Whether or not we want to go there, not all of those fouls were true fouls, and that's all I will say about that.

FerryFor50
11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't be depressed. Alot of positive play from all the starters. If not for some questionable calls, this game is a 20 point blowout.

Just depressing based on my assumption of how the officiating has been.

But if duke can be in foul trouble, but shoot 50+% with smart shots from inside the arc, hit an efficient % from 3 and limit a team to below 40% shooting, I'll take it!

Native
11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Murph sighting!