PDA

View Full Version : Famous Movie Lines

JNort
11-21-2012, 03:48 AM
What do you think would be the most famous movie line of all time? If I asked you right now what are the first 3 to come into your mind what would they be and in what order did you think of them?

Ill put mine in white so they don't pop into your head first.

For me its:

1) "Ill be back" from The Terminator

2) "No, I am your father" from Star Wars

3) Shaken. Not stirred from many a James Bond movie

I know there are many others out there but off the top of my head those are first. While typing those "Willsssooonnn" came to mind from Castaway and "This is Sparta" from 300.

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Yours are good, but just to be different, and since you said most famous not favorite, I'll go:

1. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

2. Here's lookin' at you, kid

3. I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too

Lord Ash
11-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe top five famous ones (although no one will ever agree on something like this... And not sure how you can't have a line from The Godfather...)

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

"Rosebud."

"I coulda been a contender!"

"You lookin at me?"

"Toto, don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Favorite?

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.... And I'm all out of bubble gum."

(Seriously with the filter, DBR?)

Btw, anyone know how to highlight to reveal white words on an ipad? Doesn't seem to work for me.

Indoor66
11-21-2012, 07:23 AM
If you give up your dream you die.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Btw, anyone know how to highlight to reveal white words on an ipad? Doesn't seem to work for me.

I copied and pasted it into the notebook. You could also reply with quote and scroll up to look at it.

I had the same GWTW one as you. I picked one from Wizard of Oz, too, but a slightly different one. I think yours is better. There are so many quotes from Oz and GWTW and Casablanca, I'm not sure how to pick.

My favorite is probably, "Yippee ki yay, m..... f....r"

gus
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe top five famous ones (although no one will ever agree on something like this... And not sure how you can't have a line from The Godfather...)

"Rosebud."

"I coulda been a contender!"

"You lookin at me?"

"Toto, don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Favorite?

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.... And I'm all out of bubble gum."

(Seriously with the filter, DBR?)

They Live beats out all of the Evil Dead movies for you?

hurleyfor3
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

82, 82, 82... Two hundred and forty-six.

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
It's alive!!!!

toughbuff1
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
Go ahead, make my day.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Lord Ash
11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Gus, I just love the line:)

Bjorn, I almost put "Here's looking at you, kid" but ended up not going with it. Not sure if my choice was correct. The "I'll get you, my pretty" is pretty damn famous.

"I'm going to make him an offer..." is a REAL solid one. Can't believe I didn't think of it.

Hey, can you nominate entire scenes of dialogue? If so, there are two scenes from "True Romance" that are, to me, two of my favorite scenes in history. I won't say which, because I'd be curious if anyone else can nail them:)

mkirsh
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Gus, I just love the line:)

Hey, can you nominate entire scenes of dialogue? If so, there are two scenes from "True Romance" that are, to me, two of my favorite scenes in history. I won't say which, because I'd be curious if anyone else can nail them:)

I assume one is the Dennis Hopper / Christopher Walken exchange that end's with "so tell me, am I lying?". What is the other?

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

82, 82, 82... Two hundred and forty-six.
As long as we are on Heston....

Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.

moonpie23
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
" now i want you to reach in that bag and find my wallet"

"which one is it?"

"it's the one that says *************** ! "

oh, and my sig....

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I think we're devolving into our favorite lines, versus most famous. For most famous, I can't believe I forgot "Go ahead, make my day." I see toughbuff got that one though.

As for Oz, there's one that's become so much a part of our culture that we don't even think of it as a movie line anymore: There's no place like home.

JNort
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
"Say hello to my little friend" from scarface

Tom B.
11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
There are so many quotes from Oz and GWTW and Casablanca, I'm not sure how to pick.

Don't forget The Godfather. You could do an entire list on any one of those four movies standing alone.

As for me, here's a favorite line that I drop into conversation any time it dawns on me that a problem I'm facing or a task that I have to complete is much larger than originally anticipated:

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

(Did you know that this line -- in the movie, it's actually You're gonna need a bigger boat" -- was an ad-lib?)

camion
11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Famous? I'm not sure. But here's a favorite:
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

And looking forward to Christmas:
"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

Reddevil
11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?...

and

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 01:58 PM
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?...

and

Darn, I was just gonna do the Cool Hand Luke one.

How about "May the Force be with you"?

toughbuff1
11-21-2012, 02:07 PM
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?...

and

I always thought it was "What we have here is failure to communicate".

Doug.I.Am
11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Darkness warshed over the Dude - darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

Dukefan1.0
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
My personal favorite famous line would have to be from Dirty Harry.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Along with "Go ahead make my day." from Sudden Impact.

Reddevil
11-21-2012, 02:20 PM

I went and listened to it and it is actually, "What we've got here is failure to communicate." So you're right - the "a" is not there, also it's got, not have.

NSDukeFan
11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
"You can't handle the truth!"

Reddevil
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Caddyshack and Airplane are gold mines.

I'll go with "it's in the hole!", and "Surely you can't be serious" respectively.

Famous? Well, not like "Franklly my dear, I don't give a Damn", but a lot more fun.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
This Oz's favorite movie line is one that was totally glossed over in the movie, but was prominent in the book. I have used it here in posts many times.

What could have been, was.
From the book, and movie Semi-Tough. It eliminates all the coulda's and shoulda's. :cool:

weezie
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
"I'll be back."

"The name is Bond, James Bond."

davekay1971
11-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Nominees for most famous:

"Shaken...not stirred."

"We'll always have Paris."

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain. Time to die."

Nominees for most fun:

"This...is my BOOMSTICK!"

"Game over man...GAME OVER!"

"Sally...this is my weak arm."

Nominees for worst ever:

"What does God need with a starship?"

"KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Ok...worst ever starts and ends with Shatner.

Someone mentioned the ad-libbed "you're gonna need a bigger boat" line. Some of the best lines and movie scenes end up being ad-libbed. That's almost another thread entirely, but my favorite ad-libbed scene was the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the swordsman is getting ready to fight Indy and Indy, looking too tired to deal with it, pulls out his gun and shoots him. Evidently, it was scripted for Indy to have a big mano-a-mano with the swordsman, and after struggling through a couple of takes, Harrison Ford pretended to pull out his gun and shoot the swordsman. Spielberg liked it so much, they reshot the scene that way.

Edit: weezie beat me to both Bond and Ahnuld...thank goodness we came up with different lines!

jay
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I wanted to respond to this without looking at any of the other responses to make sure I gave unbiased answers.

The first three that come to mind, for me, are:

1. Say hello to my little friend

2. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

3. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

jay
11-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Actually, if we're picking nits, it's "What we got here is.....failure to communcate" (and yes, I left out the "i" in communicate)

:D

bjornolf
11-21-2012, 06:47 PM
My dad came up with:

1. Win one for the Gipper.
2. Now there's another fine mess you've gotten me into.
3. I'm getting too old for this s...
4. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
5. Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.
6. Come up and see me sometime.
7. Hi Ho Silver, away!

BD80
11-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Bond. James Bond.

Play it [again] Sam.

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

I see dead people.

There's no crying in baseball!

Kimist
11-21-2012, 09:38 PM
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?...

and

DEFINITELY in the running!!

Failure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ)

k

Kimist
11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
This is a nice but brief collection of many memorable quotes:

Quotes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUT0tweX1M)

Whereas this is similar, and gives you more of the scene from each movie:

Scenes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594Oxq4c0XA)

Yes, it is longer (>10 minutes) but well worth the time! (The time frame for the included movies is also broad enough to include some of the classics.)

k

sporthenry
11-21-2012, 11:02 PM
"You can't handle the truth!"

Can't believe it took to page 2 to get to this.

I know people have some of the Bond usuals but my favorite would be

"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die"

Also a fan of "Show me the money" over "You had me at hello"

Is it also sad that almost all quotes are pre-2000, leading me to believe the movies of the last 12 years haven't been remarkable.

Cameron
11-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Is it also sad that almost all quotes are pre-2000, leading me to believe the movies of the last 12 years haven't been remarkable.

The three that popped into my head right away (mine are kind of all over the place):

"Have you had enough, or are you thirsty for more?" I think ranks right up there at Christmas time.

"If you miss this shot, you're not just letting me down, you're letting your whole team down to."

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

JNort
11-21-2012, 11:59 PM

I would say its more likely that they just arn't classics yet. Or the people who watched em are younger and will grow up saying them and that will make them popular.

sporthenry
11-22-2012, 12:23 AM
I would say its more likely that they just arn't classics yet. Or the people who watched em are younger and will grow up saying them and that will make them popular.

I'm sure this is part of it but I do think it speaks to our society a bit. IMDB released a list of their highest rated quotes from 2000-2009 here: http://www.imdb.com/list/aS4ZSMt5jtk/

I know it is IMDB and not AFI but I often find my tastes closer to IMDB's top movies than AFI's so I think it is a quality source.

That said, there are a few good quotes from the decade with ones such as "Are you not entertained" and many from the Batman series like "Why so serious", "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "So we hunt him because he can take it..." are all great quotes but Gladiator and Batman account for many of the actual serious ones.

But you look at the list and while I enjoyed movies like Old School and Anchorman and am part of the younger generation, I'm not sure I'm willing to put "We're going streaking" or "I love lamp" in the same ballpark as "The truth, you can't handle the truth."

JNort
11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm sure this is part of it but I do think it speaks to our society a bit. IMDB released a list of their highest rated quotes from 2000-2009 here: http://www.imdb.com/list/aS4ZSMt5jtk/

I know it is IMDB and not AFI but I often find my tastes closer to IMDB's top movies than AFI's so I think it is a quality source.

That said, there are a few good quotes from the decade with ones such as "Are you not entertained" and many from the Batman series like "Why so serious", "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "So we hunt him because he can take it..." are all great quotes but Gladiator and Batman account for many of the actual serious ones.

But you look at the list and while I enjoyed movies like Old School and Anchorman and am part of the younger generation, I'm not sure I'm willing to put "We're going streaking" or "I love lamp" in the same ballpark as "The truth, you can't handle the truth."

300 has some famous ones and of course Cast Away has "Wilsssoonn".

DevilAlumna
11-22-2012, 12:54 AM

Yes, but "I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch" is right up there.

JasonEvans
11-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Ya'll know that AFI did this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movie_Quotes) in 2005, right?

While it is not my personal favorite, their choice for the #1 line of all time is hard to argue with: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

The rest of the top ten:

"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
"Here's looking at you, kid."
"Go ahead, make my day."
"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
"May the Force be with you."
"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
"You talkin' to me?"

I probably would have put "Here's looking at you, kid" in the #2 spot. "May the Force be with you" belongs in the top 5, for sure.

Also worth noting, if we are talking about famous lines is this one: "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" which is probably the most mis-quoted line of all time as everyone seems to think it is "Play it again, Sam."

-Jason "fun discussions -- but colored so much by our own personal taste" Evans

bjornolf
11-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Ya'll know that AFI did this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movie_Quotes) in 2005, right?

While it is not my personal favorite, their choice for the #1 line of all time is hard to argue with: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

The rest of the top ten:

"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
"Go ahead, make my day."
"You talkin' to me?"

I probably would have put "Here's looking at you, kid" in the #2 spot. "May the Force be with you" belongs in the top 5, for sure.

Also worth noting, if we are talking about famous lines is this one: "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" which is probably the most mis-quoted line of all time as everyone seems to think it is "Play it again, Sam."

I still don't see how "there's no place like home" isn't number one. Just for pure famous recognition. People use it in every day speech. People have used it IN speeches. It's been quoted in TV shows, ads (tv, radio, and print) and songs. I know more than one soldier, dating back to WWII, has used it as a mantra to get through the tough times overseas. I've seen it on bumper stickers, mugs, t-shirts, posters, embroidered on throw pillows and blankets... It has so entered our lexicon and culture... Maybe it's SO used that people don't even associate it with Wizard of Oz anymore, sort of like it's too famous and has thus lost its association (like coke for all soda, kleenex, xerox, etc...)?

devildeac
11-22-2012, 07:43 AM

The rest of the top ten:

"Go ahead, make my day."
"You talkin' to me?"

And that quote/sequence/exchange from Casablanca actually starts with "Play it once, Sam." (If my hearing is correct from the first scene of a montage that Kimist linked earlier in the thread.)

YmoBeThere
11-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Perhaps this is because much of the recent lexicon is dominated by LOL, IDK, JK, ROFL, etc. ?

accfanfrom1970
11-22-2012, 08:27 AM
The one I use a lot at work, "Plan? Even Custer had a plan...." Stripes. And another,
"This was not in the brochure" City Slickers. Not famous lines, but ones I use a lot a work....

camion
11-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Perhaps this is because much of the recent lexicon is dominated by LOL, IDK, JK, ROFL, etc. ?

SMH.

duke74
11-22-2012, 10:02 AM
How about "May the Force be with you"?

And, of course, "May the Schwartz be with you"

bjornolf
11-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I hear "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" and the diner scene from When Harry Met Sally a lot ("I'll have what she's having") referenced quite often.

bjornolf
11-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Why do you always have to ruin our fun with your facts, Jason? ;)

OldPhiKap
11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Most quoted movies at the office:

Animal House
Unforgiven
Caddyshack
Stripes
Talladega Nights

And something about bringing a knife to a gun fight . . . .

snowdenscold
11-22-2012, 09:37 PM

Followed closely by "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

sagegrouse
11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
How about these?

From Dr. Strangelove, as Major "King" Kong prepares to ride a nuclear weapon out of the bomb bay of the B-52: "Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek."

And from Blazing Saddles, in honor of the late Alex Karras: "Mongo only pawn... in game of life." This is just before knocking a horse out cold.

sagegrouse

bjornolf
11-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Animal House
Unforgiven
Caddyshack
Stripes
Talladega Nights

That's a great quote from Sean Connery in Untouchables, "Only a [derogatory term for Italian] would bring a knife to a gunfight!" Aerosmith quoted it in a song too "You brought a knife right to a gunfight and you're shouting that I'm dead, my old friends Smith and Wesson think you're in over your head."

BD80
11-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Maybe not often quoted, but a couple of my favorites:

I'd like to make her look a little more attractive, how far can you pull back?
How do you feel about Cleveland?

Jim: I'd better sit up.
Bart: Need any help?
Jim: Oh... all I can get.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Jim: I'd better sit up.
Bart: Need any help?
Jim: Oh... all I can get.

"Then we're awake . . . But we're very confused."

We also have a fair amount of "give the Governor a harrumph" utterances as well. Mel Brooks gives good quote.

camion
11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
As long as we're on a Blazing Saddles run:

"Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there."

DukieInKansas
11-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Caddyshack and Airplane are gold mines.

I'll go with "it's in the hole!", and "Surely you can't be serious" respectively.

Famous? Well, not like "Franklly my dear, I don't give a Damn", but a lot more fun.

"and don't call me Shirley."

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Followed closely by "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Is it really a misquote though if the movie is the source of the misquote? "We don't need no stinkin badges" is probably more popular from Blazing Saddles so perhaps this is their own interpretation of it, but I like their version better anyways.

alteran
11-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Btw, anyone know how to highlight to reveal white words on an ipad? Doesn't seem to work for me. If you reply, the excerpt will be readable in the text box. You also might be able to hold down where the text is and use the "select all" option to highlight it. (It might take a couple of attempts to happen on the correct location of the hidden text.)

BD80
11-23-2012, 03:32 PM
As long as we're on a Blazing Saddles run:

"Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there."

A subtle one (by today's standards):

(as the Gov has trouble returning the pen to its holder) "Think of your secretary" (followed by immediate and vigorous success).

For some reason this reminds me of Andre Braugher's final words in Duets: 'And they say our society has lost it's finesse'

Reddevil
11-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

hurleyfor3
11-24-2012, 12:07 AM
From Dr. Strangelove, as Major "King" Kong prepares to ride a nuclear weapon out of the bomb bay of the B-52: "Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek."

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

camion
11-24-2012, 07:52 AM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TampaDuke
11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
"Dying ain't much of a living boy."

bjornolf
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
E.T. phone home.

davekay1971
11-24-2012, 10:28 PM
From the more recent years (perhaps will become classic quotables)

"To infinity...and beyond!"

"That's my secret...I'm always angry." Or "Hulk...smash."

"Wanna know how I got my scars?"

Dukeface88
11-25-2012, 01:23 AM
That's a great quote from Sean Connery in Untouchables, "Only a [derogatory term for Italian] would bring a knife to a gunfight!" Aerosmith quoted it in a song too "You brought a knife right to a gunfight and you're shouting that I'm dead, my old friends Smith and Wesson think you're in over your head."

I would have sworn there was a line like this in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but my internets refuse to cooperate.

davekay1971
11-25-2012, 04:07 PM
I would have sworn there was a line like this in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but my internets refuse to cooperate.

"Only a couple of gringos would bring 6 shooters to fight the whole Bolivian army." But it was edited out before the theatrical release. Look for it in the director's cut on Blu Ray.

blazindw
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM
May not be two on the "Famous" scale, but these are two of my favorite movie quotes of all time:

A Time To Kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMGMZsKXz94

AND

Any Given Sunday Inspirational Speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

sporthenry
11-26-2012, 12:11 AM

If we are going to talk Sean Connery lines, gotta add the one from the Rock.

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and [sleep with] the prom queen"

bjornolf
11-26-2012, 07:34 AM

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and [sleep with] the prom queen"

You could have a whole thread on favorite Connery quotes. Heck, you could have a whole thread on favorite Bond Connery quotes, or heck, Highlander Connery quotes.

davekay1971
11-26-2012, 08:53 AM

I actually preferred Cage's line in the same movie: "I'm a chemical super freak"

theAlaskanBear
11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I actually preferred Cage's line in the same movie: "I'm a chemical super freak"

"I'de take pleasure in guttin' you, boahhy"

This and A Bridge Too Far were the favorite movies of my adolescence.

davekay1971
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
One more entry (non-Shatner) in the worst lines category, and, sadly, from one of my favorite movies:

"Do you remember strawberries, Mr. Frodo?" An absolute groaner monologue in the midst of the otherwise spectacular Mt Doom scene.

More than made up for by every line of dialogue uttered by Sir Ian McKellan, of course. Especially his great "deserves death?" speech to Frodo in Moria and the "grey rain curtain" speech to Pippin in Minas Tirith.

g_olaf
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Other nominees from previously quoted movies:

"Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the Big Board!"

"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

"Somebody's gotta go back and get a s***-load of dimes!

"We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin. "

mr. synellinden
11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Other nominees from previously quoted movies:

"We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin. "

I got the s**t kicked out of me in Wisconsin.

chaosmage
11-27-2012, 12:58 AM
It ain't top ten movies of all time, it's just my personal "YEAH!" quote.

"Megatron must be stopped. No matter the cost."

And the more recent versions,

Megatron: "Is the future of our race not worth a single human life?"
Optimus: "You'll never stop at one.. I'll take you all on!"
and then he proceeds to show what a Prime is made of.

"In the name of freedom, we take the battle to them!"
And then does it again.

Ok, I have to go watch Transformers now. Night guys and gals! :-)

NSDukeFan
11-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Animal House
Unforgiven
Caddyshack
Stripes
Talladega Nights

I always liked the Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a knife...This is a knife." (in Australian accent, of course.)

sagegrouse
11-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I always liked the Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a knife...This is a knife." (in Australian accent, of course.)

Or, from the same era in "When Harry Met Sally:"

"I'll have what she's having."

snowdenscold
11-28-2012, 02:39 AM

Ahh, I see you've played knifey-spoony before!

Anyway, I always thought what you wrote was the quote until I looked it up on youtube a couple days ago (thanks to this thread, actually). He says, "That's not a knife... that's a knife." I know, not as exciting when you can't actually see him referring to his pseudo-sword.

Reddevil
11-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

gotoguy
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
"That'll be the day." The Duke in John Ford's "The Searchers" Buddy Holley took it and ran with it.

And for all you Hobbit fans, my favorite,

"For Frodo..."

A few random thoughts

"There are no 10's"

"Freedom!"

Dukeface88
11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

"Tis but a scratch"

"These go to eleven"

JNort
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Tombstone has about a hundred :rolleyes:

"Say when"

"Ill be your huckleberry"

"I stand corrected, your an oak"

"I got two guns. One for each of ya"

"Whhhyyyy Johnny Tyler! Where ya think your going with that shotgun?"

"So run, you cur, RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's coming. You tell 'em I'M coming. And hell's coming with me, you hear? HELL'S COMING WITH ME!

JNort
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108358/quotes

^ More from Tombstone

bjornolf
12-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Tombstone has about a hundred :rolleyes:

"Ill be your huckleberry"

I thought it was "I'm your huckleberry."

TruBlu
12-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Raising Arizona:

"You're young, you've got your health . . . why do you need a job?"

Rocky (can't remember which one):

"Hit the one in the middle"

OldPhiKap
12-01-2012, 09:21 AM
"You got any balloons with funny shapes?"

"No, not unless you find round funny."

----------

"We released ourselves on our own recognizance. We did not feel that the institution had anything further to offer us."

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
You could have a whole thread on favorite Connery quotes. Heck, you could have a whole thread on favorite Bond Connery quotes, or heck, Highlander Connery quotes.

Was this one Connery or Moore?
"I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked!"

Deslok
12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Was this one Connery or Moore?
"I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked!"

Live and Let Die... Moore.

JNort
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I thought it was "I'm your huckleberry."

It was I just didn't get back in time to edit it.

CameronBlue
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Not surprising that my first three were mentioned quickly:

Rhett Butler's famous I don't give a damn
Dorothy's We're not in Kansas and
Rosebud.

Bond's line wasn't iconic it was his trademark. Nothing really momentous about the line. You know it's coming at some point in the film, along with "Shaken, not stirred" but iconic lines create and define unforgettable film moments.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me....aren't you?

Sophisticated sexuality thy names are Anne Bancroft and Lauren Bacall.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2012, 06:44 AM
"There was this time at band camp . . . ."

Mrs. Robinson made me think of Stiffler's mom.

davekay1971
12-06-2012, 02:34 PM

The moment when she told Jim her flute story from band camp honestly made me choke on my soda. Despite being ruined by every American Pie that followed, that was a genuinely funny movie with some laugh out loud moments. The band camp line being the one that caught me most off-guard.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
The moment when she told Jim her flute story from band camp honestly made me choke on my soda. Despite being ruined by every American Pie that followed, that was a genuinely funny movie with some laugh out loud moments. The band camp line being the one that caught me most off-guard.

While not advocating for the movie, I will note that "MIL*" became part of the lexicon.

chaosmage
12-10-2012, 12:01 AM

since the iconic scene with her and Finch occurred to that selfsame song. :-)

Jim3k
12-10-2012, 03:16 AM
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry (1971).

Page for Dirty Harry Quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/quotes)

gumbomoop
12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I refer to a few of my own favorites, though these are reasonably famous to lots of buffs. Numbers 1 and 2 below are more properly labeled dialogue, but number 3 below is definitely about a single line.

1. From To Have and Have Not, 1944, Bogie and Bacall.

As she observes Steve carrying a fainted Dolores Moran into a room, a faux-jealous Slim cracks, “Whaddya doing, trying to guess her weight?” Bogie’s response was pretty good, too: “She’s heftier than she looks.”

More famous from that film is this sizzler from Slim/Bacall: "You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

2. I'll add to the prior refs to Dr. Strangelove.

Pres. Merkin Muffley [Peter Sellers], referring to Gen. Ripper [Sterling Hayden]: "There's nothing to figure out, General Turgidson. This man is obviously a psychotic." To which Gen. Turgidson [George C. Scott] replies: "Well, I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in."

And a bit of trivia re Slim Pickens's famous survival kit rundown. First the quote, the mere words of which, unfortunately, can't do justice to Major Kong's emphasis on each number-word.

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

The trivia is that, when viewing the scene, if you look real closely, you'll see that in the punch line Kong/Pickens's lips don't say "Vegas." Rather, he actually said "Dallas" [though a few claim it was "Big D" - looks like "Dallas" to me]. Point is, between the filming and release of Dr. Strangelove, JFK had been assassinated in Dallas. References to a good time in Dallas - no go.

3. Finally, a mystery, to me at least, and one that I'd love to have help solving. The mystery concerns a mystery, or I guess a psychological thriller, The Conversation, 1974, Gene Hackman. [[B]Warning: plot-spoiler ahead, so if you've never seen this film, and might, then stop reading now.] I'm near-obsessed [appropriate, given the film....] with what I think is surely the key line in the film. It's uttered by Mark [Frederic Forrest] to Ann [Cindy Williams], and of course recorded by Harry Caul [Hackman]: "He'd kill us if he got the chance."

Now maybe everyone but me "gets it," i.e., gets the way this line is used in the film. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the line is [B]altered the last time we hear it, from the earlier times we and - not incidentally, to put it mildly - Harry hear it. All through the film, we and Harry understand the line uttered by Mark to be: "He'd kill us if he got the chance." Meaning, to us and to Harry, someone is going to kill them.

But as we and Harry find out, it is they who do, or commission, the killing, and the denouement drives Harry nuts.

I'm obsessed with whether the director has been honest or dishonest with the audience. I'm pretty sure that when Harry, still fairly early in the film, using all his skills, gets a "reliable" version of the conversation, the line we get to hear is as I stated above: "He'd kill us if he got the chance." But at the end, after Harry discovers that the 2 lovers have not been murdered, he and we hear the line with a different word emphasized: "He'd kill us if he got the chance."

So, questions: (a) Am I correct that the line we the audience hear at the end of the film is different - subtly so, to be sure, but crucially so - from what we heard earlier in the film? And (b) if yes, is this a matter of (c) dishonesty by the director, or (d) just a great technique to demonstrate that Harry the perfectionist messed up?

Those many of you who have seen and been fascinated with this film will recall Harry's mental/psychological state at the end of the film. Please save me from this fate.

greybeard
12-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Pulp Fiction, the line by Mr. Wolff, "now boys, let's not start . . . ." Pretty nasty, but was delivered spot on and fit perfectly.

Edouble
12-21-2012, 04:03 AM
I saw I'll be back earlier. One poster mentioned that you could do a whole thread on Connery. If so, you could certainly do a whole thread on Arnold:

Get to the chopper

You are one ugly mutha------

Stick around

See you at the party, Richter

You're a funny man, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry.

Let off some steam!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

It's not a tumor!

Hasta la vista, baby.

And those are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

From the original post, my immediate top three were
"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse"
"You lookin' at me?"
"No, I am your father"
I liked the top 10 that Jason posted, which was very classic, but I would have to think "I'll be back" would have to be in a more modern top 10.

bjornolf
12-21-2012, 06:33 AM
The best line in Predator wasn't by Arnold but by the other governor.

"You're bleeding!"
"I ain't got time to bleed."

BD80
12-21-2012, 08:16 AM
... you could certainly do a whole thread on Arnold:

... You're a funny man, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last. ...

The follow up:

"Where's Sully?"

"I had to let him go"

TruBlu
12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
The best line in Predator wasn't by Arnold but by the other governor.

"You're bleeding!"
"I ain't got time to bleed."

Follow up line wasn't bad either:

"Do you have time to duck?"