PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-20

jimsumner
11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Last of a series.

At least until the bowl media events.

My, it feels good to write that.

Anyway.

Sean Renfree won the Pop Warner National College Football Award, given to the Pop Warner alum who "has made a difference on the field, in the classroom and in his community."

Cut reaffirmed that he's not going anywhere. 100%.

Kenny Anunike officially announced that he will return next season for his sixth year.

Cut said Duke had an "exceptional" intensity level today in practice. Wants a comparable intensity from fan base Saturday. Says, he's going to go door-to-door to round up fans. So, if you hear a knock . . .

Twenty seniors playing last game Saturday. It's always interesting to see how many redshirt juniors are on that list. Corey Gattis, Taylor Sowell, Jack Farrell and Joey Finnison will not return. John Coleman, Anthony Young-Wiseman and Garrett Patterson are recruited reserves who will return. I'm leaving off the obvious ones.

Lee Butler hopes to be able to try out for NFL teams this spring. Cut praised his attitude, which he called "a lesson for anybody." Still, the idea of Butler doing so much to get Duke into a bowl game and not being able to play in it, is very disappointing.

Cut was aksed what he tells NFL scouts about Vernon. "He can run like hell, he can catch the ball. What more do you need to know?" Cut noted that Vernon has set these ACC career marks as a downfield receiver, going against the best corners in the ACC.

GT? Duke in position to make plays but missed too many tackles. Duke needs to get more physical at the inititial point of contact. Says some technique issues have popped up.

Much praise for Duke Johnson. Can't catch him once he gets clear so don't let him get started.

Cut didn't seem all that upset with losing Maryland. "If anybody doesn't want to be here, go." Maryland became a punch line for much of the rest of the presser. Don't think we'll see them on the non-conference schedule anytime soon.

Doesn't think Miami's self-imposed bowl ban will be a factor Saturday. "Games take on a personality of their own. Once the game starts, it doesn't matter."

Cockrell insists that Duke isn't being physically overmatched but needs to improve positioning and technique. I can see why players would need to feel that way.

Team says morale is good and they're looking forward to sending the seniors out in style. Big difference between 7-5 and 6-6 and they're keenly aware of that.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks Jim. Butler's out for the season? I know he left the last game, but never saw a report? What's wrong with him?

Glad Kenny is coming back. He told us last spring he hoped to get that 6th year of eligibility! :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Kenny Anunike officially announced that he will return next season for his sixth year.

Woohooo!!! That is really awesome.
Agree with Ozzie, that is too bad about Butler. They said it was a knee injury during the game that took him out but I'm surprised it was a season ender. Best wishes to him and his NFL pursuits.

jimsumner
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks Jim. Butler's out for the season? I know he left the last game, but never saw a report? What's wrong with him?
:

Yep. Surgery required.

It's a little like Moses not being able to enter the promised land. Not trying to offend anyone but that's what it seems like to me. No one on this team-not Renfree, not Vernon, not Canty--has done more from a playing/leadership/motivational standpoint to get Duke to where they are now and he's not going to be able to reap the benefits.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
While I hate to see these seniors go, it's great to celebrate their successes. They've definitely left the place better than when they came here.:cool:

Dev11
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Selfishly, I never want to see Kenny Anunike leave. I hope that when his pro career is done, he's back in Durham. Hopefully that's quite a few years away.

There are a ton of seniors who have had a big impact on the field who are playing their last home game on Saturday. I hope we get to see a number of them get shots at the next level.

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Selfishly, I never want to see Kenny Anunike leave. I hope that when his pro career is done, he's back in Durham. Hopefully that's quite a few years away.

There are a ton of seniors who have had a big impact on the field who are playing their last home game on Saturday. I hope we get to see a number of them get shots at the next level.

I love his quote on returning to Durham.

"I am excited about returning and taking this rare opportunity to play another year at Duke," Anunike said in a statement. "It is truly great to be a part of this new era of Duke football. With Coach [David] Cutcliffe, the staff, my teammates and our fans, I believe that coming back will be my contribution in helping take our program to new heights. Go Duke!"
His leadership will ensure that this "new era" continues on its current path.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/48544/duke-de-anunike-gets-sixth-year

Greg_Newton
11-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Pretty cool that in November 2013, the team with have a player who was at Cut's first training camp in 2008. Considering Cut said we were the "softest, fattest" team he'd ever seen at that point (something like that), and we were coming off of 2 wins in 30-some games, I'd say Kenny will have some perspective that our soon-to-be-HS-graduates won't.

Also doesn't hurt that he's arguably our best defensive player at this point.

Jim3k
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Anunike ought to have a doctorate by the time he is done. ;)

jimsumner
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Anunike ought to have a doctorate by the time he is done. ;)

He's scheduled to graduate next month with a degree in biological anthropology and anatomy. So, he should be well along the way to a graduate degree with another season.

Obviously, a bright guy. Parents want him to be a physician. But he's thinking NFL. If he can stay healthy for an entire season, someone will give him a shot.

Greg_Newton
11-21-2012, 02:31 AM
I think I'll choose to imagine Kenny as the wise, grizzled old man by the corner locker, quietly listening to the new, hotshot freshmen complain about their preseason workouts.

A hush immediately falls upon the room as Old Man Anunike starts to speak. "I remember, back in the summer of '08... we didn't have no fancy, indoor fields and training buildings. We ran our wind sprints along the abandoned tracks downtown, and we made our own barbells out of scrap metal and old railroad ties. If half the team made it through the season without getting tetanus, well, that was a good year." After a stern but knowing gaze around the room, he watches the freshman wordlessly get up and get back to work.

johnb
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I think I'll choose to imagine Kenny as the wise, grizzled old man by the corner locker, quietly listening to the new, hotshot freshmen complain about their preseason workouts.

A hush immediately falls upon the room as Old Man Anunike starts to speak. "I remember, back in the summer of '08... we didn't have no fancy, indoor fields and training buildings. We ran our wind sprints along the abandoned tracks downtown, and we made our own barbells out of scrap metal and old railroad ties. If half the team made it through the season without getting tetanus, well, that was a good year." After a stern but knowing gaze around the room, he watches the freshman wordlessly get up and get back to work.

ha..

budwom
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Yep. Surgery required.

It's a little like Moses not being able to enter the promised land. Not trying to offend anyone but that's what it seems like to me. No one on this team-not Renfree, not Vernon, not Canty--has done more from a playing/leadership/motivational standpoint to get Duke to where they are now and he's not going to be able to reap the benefits.

Are we going to see Braxton and Byas again THIS year? What's up with them?

jv001
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
While I hate to see these seniors go, it's great to celebrate their successes. They've definitely left the place better than when they came here.:cool:

Amen. It seems like it was just yesterday that these guys stepped onto to the Wallace Wade field. Good to have Kenny back for one more year. GTHC. GoDuke!