PDA

View Full Version : The "Muck Faryland" story on DBR

hudlow
11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks for saying what needed to be said. I think the article wrapped it all up for me.

Time to move on.

Next Play.

cspan37421
11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I was a little bit surprised at the headline, since I think that there was a time when ordinary board participants might have been cited infraction points for such thinly-veiled coarse language.

Having said that I note that the decorum guidelines no longer mention things like the use of asterisks as a tool for thinly-veling swear words (I think they once did, but I could be wrong). Moreover, the guidelines mention keeping it PG-13, and if my understanding is correct (Jason Evans would know), the mother of them all IS allowed in PG-13 movies as an exclamation, but not as a description of an activity.

Anyway, I note that some lament the loss of Maryland as they are a big part of ACC history and a founding member, but say that they won't miss their fans. For me, the fans are reason enough - I won't miss them.

OldPhiKap
11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
That article about summed it up for me.

Good luck, good riddance.

Next play.

Reisen
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I was a little bit surprised at the headline, since I think that there was a time when ordinary board participants might have been cited infraction points for such thinly-veiled coarse language.

Having said that I note that the decorum guidelines no longer mention things like the use of asterisks as a tool for thinly-veling swear words (I think they once did, but I could be wrong). Moreover, the guidelines mention keeping it PG-13, and if my understanding is correct (Jason Evans would know), the mother of them all IS allowed in PG-13 movies as an exclamation, but not as a description of an activity.

Anyway, I note that some lament the loss of Maryland as they are a big part of ACC history and a founding member, but say that they won't miss their fans. For me, the fans are reason enough - I won't miss them.

Yeah, for what it's worth, while I'm fine with the content of the article, I think we're better than the headline. I can understand the sentiment, but Maryland has been doing the old "Duck Fuke" thing for years, or even printing the not-at-all-veiled version on T-Shirts. I say we let them have it, and take the high road. Change the headline to a less profane way of expressing the same sentiment. But that's only my opinion.

gus
11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
But that's only my opinion.

It's not only yours. I agree with precisely the same reasoning.

JTH
11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I could always count on their fans for tickets after the first or at best, second round of the ACC tournament. Their bitterness was always a source of amusement.:rolleyes:

David
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I enjoyed the article, but I would quibble with the addendum. I don't know that we need to go out of our way to schedule Md but I wouldn't avoid them either. Why should we punish ourselves for their departure? E.g., if the lacrosse team can improve by playing Md, let's play them. Same for other sports. "Next play" means we move on - refusing to schedule the terps is worrying about the previous play. Besides, it is fun to beat Md like a drum. :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Agreed to the whole article...specifically the recruiting aspect. I was thinking to myself last night while driving home that if I were an ACC coach recruiting a kid that Md was after too, I'd raise this point. "Well, if you play for us, your parents will have the chance to see you numerous times of the year because we are going to play at UVA, Duke, Wake, UNC, VT and they are all close enough to drive to." If you play for Maryland, they will get to see you only at home games. (Which if you are recruiting a football player is only 6 or 7 games.)

davekay1971
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I enjoyed the article, but I would quibble with the addendum. I don't know that we need to go out of our way to schedule Md but I wouldn't avoid them either. Why should we punish ourselves for their departure? E.g., if the lacrosse team can improve by playing Md, let's play them. Same for other sports. "Next play" means we move on - refusing to schedule the terps is worrying about the previous play. Besides, it is fun to beat Md like a drum. :)

Agreed. Even with the ACC - Big ? Challenge, I'd enjoy the chance to smack them around every few years for old times sake. We need to keep the Maryland fans bitter and angry and hating Duke long after they flee the ACC.

rfaison
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
It's not only yours. I agree with precisely the same reasoning.

I agree as well. Why sink to the level we have so often criticized with this unnecessarily juvenile headline?! I've come to expect more from DBR and this is disappointing.

rsvman
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Agreed that the title of the article is juvenile and should be changed.

As far as Maryland leaving the ACC? I say "don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out." Good riddance, indeed.

I'd love to play them in the ACC-Big 10 challenge, as long as they play at Cameron. Not having to take the team to the Comcast Center ever again is the principal perk of their departure, IMO.

Dukeblue91
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I didn't really like the title all that much but the article it self was great and expressed my feelings well.
I will miss the fans a little but won't shed a tear to be honest.
They always portrayed themselves as the redheaded stepchild especially under Gary and they will soon learn that the grass is not always greener on the other side of thing no matter how much you get paid.

Lunchab1es
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I loved the title and the article.

The title works as it is turning around UMD's saying on them as they abandon the tradition they had as a founding member of the ACC. If it were any other article, I would agree, but the context to me turns it from "juvenile insult" to flipping something on its head and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I look forward to seeing Maryland get absolutely pounded in football, and losing recruits as kids are less willing to play away from home and family. Keeps that door open for more Nolan Smiths!

Bob Green
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I am sadden by the decision as the ACC losses a charter member. Being a traditionalist and a lifelong Atlantic Coast Conference fan, the departure of Maryland disappoints me. Conferences should be regionally based and nurtured by good spirited rivalry between member institutions. However, money trumps all and money is what this is about. Personally, I believe Maryland is being shortsighted and will regret this decision in years to come.

As far as the headline goes, it is juvenile and beneath Duke Basketball Report standards.

Starter
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I was okay with the headline, in terms of being a slight topical dig on their way out the door after years of Duke having taken the high road. A little extreme, but I get it.

Though this doesn't apply to all of them -- I've met some Maryland fans I like -- a pretty solid chunk of Maryland's fan base is wretched. Some traditions simply aren't missed after they end.

freedevil
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
As far as the headline goes, it is juvenile and beneath Duke Basketball Report standards.

Agreed. I have always thought UNC and UMD fans made themselves look silly with the incorrect spelling of Duke and related foolishness. I took pride that our slights to these institutions were much more creative and actually humorous. Wish they had not used that headline here.

sporthenry
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Agreed. Even with the ACC - Big ? Challenge, I'd enjoy the chance to smack them around every few years for old times sake. We need to keep the Maryland fans bitter and angry and hating Duke long after they flee the ACC.

I wouldn't want to give them any benefit to abandoning the ACC. I'd make them travel to Cameron every year and twice on Leap Years. Lacrosse is a bit different b/c of the limited amount of good teams but if the choice is between a Maryland/Texas or Maryland/UCLA, I'll go without Maryland. And any other sports I don't really see Maryland bringing too much to the table.

We wouldn't really be punishing ourselves b/c we can find better competition elsewhere and I wouldn't want to give them any credibility by playing a better football or basketball program. I'd make the B1G sit them out of the ACC /B1G challenge if that still happens or at least make them play Pitt/Syracuse or perhaps match them up with our best team regardless of how bad they are.

Dev11
11-20-2012, 06:29 PM
My dad still lives in Montgomery County, and his reaction to the news was something along the lines "Excellent, now I don't have to do my annual weighing of psychological and physical fears before spending too much money on tickets to the Duke game in College Park. Good riddance."

Perhaps some of you haven't been to the Comcast Center or to Cole Field House for a game. Once you've had enough four letter words hurled at you from men twice your age and that first box of popcorn has hit you in the back (only happened to me once), you realize it wasn't an environment you wanted any association with.

Sandman
11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Agreed that the title of the article is juvenile and should be changed.

As far as Maryland leaving the ACC? I say "don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out." Good riddance, indeed.

I'd love to play them in the ACC-Big 10 challenge, as long as they play at Cameron. Not having to take the team to the Comcast Center ever again is the principal perk of their departure, IMO.

Don't think we have to worry about playing Md in the challenge for a long time. We will be near the top in the ACC, and they will probably be mid-to-lower tier in the Little Big.

Papa John
11-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Having said that I note that the decorum guidelines no longer mention things like the use of asterisks as a tool for thinly-veling swear words (I think they once did, but I could be wrong).

No, you're not wrong (from someone who was once given an infraction for use of "obfuscated language")... I don't have a problem with the headline, just with overzealous and inconsistent enforcement of rules—let's leave that to the NCAA enforcement division... ;-)

CameronBlue
11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Lese-Majesty!

gw67
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
I am sadden by the decision as the ACC losses a charter member. Being a traditionalist and a lifelong Atlantic Coast Conference fan, the departure of Maryland disappoints me. Conferences should be regionally based and nurtured by good spirited rivalry between member institutions. However, money trumps all and money is what this is about. Personally, I believe Maryland is being shortsighted and will regret this decision in years to come.

Bob,

I couldn't agree more. It's clearly about money. Their lacrosse team won't have a home, the soccer team will no longer be a member of the best league in the country, the football team will get destroyed every weekend, and,IMO, their basketball recruiting will be adversely affected. All this done behind closed doors by a president and AD who have no ties to the ACC. I feel particularly bad for the basketball team which is on its' way back under Turgeon. I looked forward to them competing against the Devils, Carolina, State, UVA and Syracuse in coming years. While it is clear that the ACC is no longer the league it once was, I will miss the Terps being part of it. On top of that, I will need to pay extra if I want to watch them on TV.

gw67

KBCrazie
11-21-2012, 02:34 PM
The article incorrectly stated that G-town "[doesn't] do football". They actually do, as a FCS subdivision team that competes in the Patriot League. What could correctly be stated is that they couldn't possibly compete in the ACC in football without a substantial infusion of money and talent.

sagegrouse
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
The article incorrectly stated that G-town "[doesn't] do football". They actually do, as a FCS subdivision team that competes in the Patriot League. What could correctly be stated is that they couldn't possibly compete in the ACC in football without a substantial infusion of money and talent.

It will be interesting to see how the Georgetown football program evolves. For years it was only a club sport (coached for a long time by Duke QB Scotty Glacken). Then it started a Div III team and after a few years moved up a scholarship program, playing in the FCS. Does Georgetown plan to move to I-A? I dunno but stay tuned.

sage

Reisen
11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Georgetown football program evolves. For years it was only a club sport (coached for a long time by Duke QB Scotty Glacken). Then it started a Div III team and after a few years moved up a scholarship program, playing in the FCS. Does Georgetown plan to move to I-A? I dunno but stay tuned.

sage

I guess my question would be, if football really is such a money-maker, what does it take to move up? Surely, with the Big East falling apart, Georgetown realizes it needs to field a FBS team in order to be an attractive add to a major conference such as the ACC.

Is it really a case of "there's not enough talent"? It it facilities? Salaries for program staff?

If Maryland couldn't afford to support non-revenue sports with their ACC deal, how on earth can Georgetown do it with their football team playing in the Patriot league?

Something here doesn't add up...

Bluedog
11-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I guess my question would be, if football really is such a money-maker, what does it take to move up? Surely, with the Big East falling apart, Georgetown realizes it needs to field a FBS team in order to be an attractive add to a major conference such as the ACC.

Is it really a case of "there's not enough talent"? It it facilities? Salaries for program staff?

If Maryland couldn't afford to support non-revenue sports with their ACC deal, how on earth can Georgetown do it with their football team playing in the Patriot league?

Something here doesn't add up...

Not 100% sure, but I would imagine land/facilities would be a major hurdle for Georgetown. Their current football "stadium" is a couple bleachers, and the campus is crammed as it is. It's an urban area with expensive limited space, so building the necessary infrastructure would be difficult. Although the basketball team has gotten around that by playing at the Verizon Center, so perhaps a similar arrangement could be made by the football team and they could find some other off campus site.

Papa John
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Maryland couldn't afford to support non-revenue sports with their ACC deal because they:

(1) fired [bought-out the contract of] their long-time, fairly successful football coach Ralph Friedgen
(2) hired relatively unproven football coach Randy Edsall [from UConn, not known as a football powerhouse] and gave him a top-dollar contract ($2 million/year)
(3) spent millions of dollars to upgrade their football and basketball facilities [including the addition of luxury boxes/suites at the FB stadium which they have failed to sell (and given the quality of the product they're fielding, I wonder why?)]
(4) hired Mark Turgeon, a quality basketball coach, to replace Gary Williams and gave him a top-dollar contract ($2 million/year)

There are some other costs I haven't listed (e.g. they spent a nice chunk of change for a new indoor Olympic pool that now doesn't have a swimming team to use it). Bottom line, Maryland is a victim of poor fiscal management—that's why they can't support non-revenue sports with their ACC deal. But if you think they're bad, you should check out Rutgers—they make the folks at MD look like financial geniuses.

TruBlu
11-21-2012, 05:04 PM

sage

If any other Duke fan out there (besides me) remembers seeing Scotty Glacken play, I've got news for you: You are seasoned!

That name had not entered my head in a loooooong time. (I'm surprised that I had not killed that brain cell many times over.)

WiJoe
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd like the ACC to go after Cincinnati. Much cleaner than uconn-victs. FB is decent, and MBKB is rising. And NO to louisville. I get a sense that when a conference hears Louisville coming, it pulls the drapes, turns out the lights and locks the doors.

jv001
11-21-2012, 09:21 PM
If any other Duke fan out there (besides me) remembers seeing Scotty Glacken play, I've got news for you: You are seasoned!

That name had not entered my head in a loooooong time. (I'm surprised that I had not killed that brain cell many times over.)

Then, I'm well seasoned. Loved that name. Scotty Glacken. GoDuke!