PDA

View Full Version : FB: Miami 52, Duke 45

Reilly
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Miami is a 6.5 point favorite. Senior day for the Devils.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Miami is a 6.5 point favorite. Senior day for the Devils.
This senior class has quite a few guys who've really made a difference during their time at Duke. Now it's time for the 12th. man to show our support and appreciation!

Reilly
11-19-2012, 08:04 PM
... really made a difference...

My "GoDuke The Magazine" arrived today: very nice spread. Apparently, we beat the cheaters down the road this year, and get to maintain (and pretty up) a large metal noise-making object for the next year (maybe longer?).

And by the way, folks, WE'RE GOING BOWLING!!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
My "GoDuke The Magazine" arrived today: very nice spread. Apparently, we beat the cheaters down the road this year, and get to maintain (and pretty up) a large metal noise-making object for the next year (maybe longer?).

And by the way, folks, WE'RE GOING BOWLING!!!!!!

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif QFE! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DukeSean
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
6.5? I'll take that.

Let's beat Miami and get this BOWL season going!

awhom111
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Here is the list of television affiliates for the game:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-football-match-center-137.html

peloton
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Now it's time for the 12th. man to show our support and appreciation!

Agreed...and I would certainly be there if it wasn't for being out of town with family celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday. But you can bet that a whole house full of Duke fans up in the NC mountains will be catching the game on television, cheering on the Blue Devils to victory, and savoring our first winning record since 1994. Let's go Blue Devils...finish the season strong with a hard fought victory over the Canes. Wallace Wade Stadium is our house! The Hurricanes may be from Florida a state renowned for its beaches, but are we going to allow them to bully us and kick sand in our faces? :p Let's go Duke!!

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I think so much will come down to our ability to capitalize on turnovers. We have been so good this year in causing them..but with Clemson and FSU we were on a futile mission to do anything once we had the ball. With GT..they got lucky (as hell) and recovered their mistakes. (Still shaking my head at that lineman catching the fumble.)

This game will be the culmination of a wonderful season at home, and I think our guys will live up to it well. I have no idea if we'll pull out the victory but I know we will compete. For once we are not playing "for pride", we are playing for a winning record. I've got some other thoughts posted in a writeup, they fit into this thread though, so here's a link instead of pasting a long post.
http://crazietalk.net/ctn-biased-sports-report.html

This is the month that Cutcliffe claims defines a season. We got the short end of the stick with our November schedule this time around though, so it's made it awfully tough...but Miami is a good team for us to go out on. We have as good a chance as anyone.

Bob Green
11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday and will be cheering as loud as possible in an attempt to pay respect to the seniors who have worked so hard and contributed so much to turning around the program. A victory over Miami would be a fitting punctuation mark by the guys.

-bdbd
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking that this is an important game for bowl selection, but from a different ale. It makes it too easy for bowls to bypass you for another team if they can say "Team X finished on a x-game losing streak. Whereas team Y finished 'hot.' " I just don't want to enter that selection process having lost our last five games. Hard to argue for an attractive bowl that way. If we win our last one, especially after playing fairly well vs GT the week before, and some of the other ACC selectees finish on a loss, then we have a better argument.

That said, the best thing that can happen for us is to see Clemson beat USC and pick up a BCS bid. Oh, and to see UVA pull one out vs their rival VPI. :)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking that this is an important game for bowl selection, but from a different angle. It makes it too easy for bowls to bypass you for another team if they can say "Team X finished on a x-game losing streak. Whereas team Y finished 'hot.' " I just don't want to enter that selection process having lost our last five games. Hard to argue for an attractive bowl that way. If we win our last one, especially after playing fairly well vs GT the week before, and some of the other ACC selectees finish on a loss, then we have a better argument.

That said, the best thing that can happen for us is to see Clemson beat USC and pick up a BCS bid. Oh, and to see UVA pull one out vs their rival VPI. :)

Agreed, there are several positives of winning this one. Internally and externally.

Would be really nice to send the seniors off with a win, in front of a full house.

devildeac
11-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Glad we have a 1230 kick off in some ways. High forecast to be 51 with a low of 27 Saturday night. Brr...

TruBlu
11-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Like some others, I will not be able to attend, due to Thanksgiving family travel schedule. Those of you who do attend will have to double-down and cheer harder.

I know it has been mentioned in previous threads that Coach Cut has said there will be no Logo @ midfield until we go bowling. I hope that since we are bowl eligible now, that a Logo is in place for the Miami game as a tribute to our wonderful Seniors who have contributed so much to making us "bowl eligible".

GO DUKE!

THANK YOU, SENIORS

Bob Green
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Glad we have a 1230 kick off in some ways. High forecast to be 51 with a low of 27 Saturday night. Brr...

I told the family to breakout their coats and gloves due to the cold weather. Vegas is expecting the action on the field to be hot as the over/under is set at 67.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I told the family to breakout their coats and gloves due to the cold weather. Vegas is expecting the action on the field to be hot as the over/under is set at 67.
Wind speeds during the day are predicted to be between 10 and 20 mph, influencing how we'll feel in the stands and maybe how the ball travels through the air when passed or kicked.

Reilly
11-23-2012, 02:33 PM
... Vegas is expecting the action on the field to be hot as the over/under is set at 67.

In total games for ACC teams, Duke is #10 in defense and Miami is #12.
In conference-only games, Duke is #12 in defense and Miami is #11.

throatybeard
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
51 is not even remotely cold weather.

-bdbd
11-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Really looking forward to this one. Leave it all on the field Devils!

Did anyone say where on TV to find this one?

Greg_Newton
11-24-2012, 01:41 AM
It's on WRAL if you're in the area... says "ACC network" otherwise.

This is one where I have no idea what to expect. Miami's general recruiting and talent level scares me, but I felt the same way about UNC and we pretty much outphysicaled them. Byas is back, which will be nice.

Basically, it's going to come down to who wins the battle of the lines, as it really has in every game this season. Really hoping our guys bring it one last time.

Bob Green
11-24-2012, 05:12 AM
51 is not even remotely cold weather.

It is all relative. Compared to shorts and T-Shirts with temps in the 80s, 51 is pretty chilly. I am about to jump in my car to start driving to Durham.

Reilly
11-24-2012, 07:16 AM
The ACC's all-time leading receiver in catches and yards.

If you can get there, go.

Reilly
11-24-2012, 07:22 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/23/3110907/miami-hurricanes-to-see-season.html

wilko
11-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi kids.
Just an FYI - I'll see you guys at the game. I'll be the guy dressed in blue.

hillsborodevil
11-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Regardless out of today's outcome with Miami, Duke Football has turned the corner. I have been extremely
pessimistic each fall starting around 1995. Mr. Summers and others on this board have been absolutley correct
about Cutcliff since he arrived.

Beating UNC was really special but this team has done so much more. Go Duke!!!!!!

riverside6
11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Live stats and play analysis for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2698

uh_no
11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
awful playcalling early....

2nd and 24....2 yard run
3rd and 22....quick pass for 5 yards...

sagegrouse
11-24-2012, 12:46 PM
awful playcalling early....

2nd and 24....2 yard run
3rd and 22....quick pass for 5 yards...

What was that personal foul about? -- sage

captmojo
11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
What was that personal foul about? -- sage

A clip.
Nothing about the block in the back Miami got away with on Monday's first punt, however.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
jeez....another big penalty

further, renfree seems to be missing some really open receivers on the overthrow....

last week at least twice he overthrew open guys down field with room to run....again today he had a bad miss...that proved drive ending

roywhite
11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Yikes, Duke looks awful today.

Penalties, missing open receivers, swiss-cheese defense, listless...UGH.

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Duke comes up with an onside kick but somehow in a scrum, the refs deemed Miami had possession.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Yikes, Duke looks awful today.

Penalties, missing open receivers, swiss-cheese defense, listless...UGH.

I was about to write the same thing, then we got a few first downs and I held my tongue, I mean fingers. But I have a question, why don't we let our best players domwhatnthey do best? Third and 4, let Duncan run the ball, not Sean. This is my biggest complaint about our play calling. We consistently go for the surprise instead of letting our best players do what they do best. I think that is a lack of confidence in our coaches.

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 01:22 PM
How is that NOT a shot to the head on Vernon? Seriously???

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
We are coming alive! Go Devils!

uh_no
11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
two good drives in a row

time for the defense to big boy up for a second consecutive drive

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Well Duke closed the gap to 14-10 on a nice drive. Duke looks to have settled down but this game does show just how much of a talent/athleticism talent still exists between Duke and Miami/VT/Clemson. Versus a UNC, the talent gap isn't as big so they can compensate but versus a team like this, they just look too fast and too strong that the gap is exposed.

sagegrouse
11-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Random thoughts:

When it was 14-3 and Duke failed to make a first down at midfield on 4th and 4, I muttered audiblt that if Miami scored I was turning the TV off and do something more contructive. Ms. Sage Grouse evidently sent word to Coach, and the team began to play better.

Georgia Tech is getting steam-rollered by Georgia 28-3. Georgia can't seem to stop them on the ground either -- no GT punts -- but Tech already has two turnovers, both of which would have been appreciated byt he Devils last weekend in Atlanta.

Did you see that Arky QB Tyler Wilson made Academic All-SEC. He had a 2.8 average in Parks and Recreation, or something. Wow! He's a shoo-in for a Rhodes scholarship.

sagegruse

Wander
11-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Cutcliffe, I love you for what you've done for Duke, and I hope you're at Duke for a very long time. But you (or someone on your staff) have the worst ability to call fake punts I've ever seen at any level of football, please let someone else take over that responsibility.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Howard Cosell always complained when a team threw a pass short of the first down marker. I always agree. If you are going to pass, throw it past the sticks. And then we try an ill advised fake punt. I have seen this show before. Not impressed!

WakeDevil
11-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Another brilliant move to give Miami 40 yards of field position on a fourth-and-seven near the end of the half.

I'm through watching this game and this team.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Cutcliffe, I love you for what you've done for Duke, and I hope you're at Duke for a very long time. But you (or someone on your staff) have the worst ability to call fake punts I've ever seen at any level of football, please let someone else take over that responsibility.
You get the feeling someone is calling these fake punts as if they were playing with house money. I guess maybe we are now that we are going bowling but it's such an awful call. I mean, let's try to win the damn game!

YmoBeThere
11-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Another brilliant move to give Miami 40 yards of field position on a fourth-and-seven near the end of the half.

Waiting for the Deacs to play?

Duvall
11-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the update.

loran16
11-24-2012, 02:25 PM
They are tearing up #31 (tony foster I think) on every passing play

captmojo
11-24-2012, 02:43 PM
And Vernon is tearing up the old receiving records. Now, just win it!

AtlBluRew
11-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Most of us would accuse the coaching staff of not trying to win if they didn't roll the dice some. I'm OK with the fake punt call, but I was a little disappointed in Cut's halftime interview, where he laid all blame for the deficit on poor play by the players.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Most of us would accuse the coaching staff of not trying to win if they didn't roll the dice some. I'm OK with the fake punt call, but I was a little disappointed in Cut's halftime interview, where he laid all blame for the deficit on poor play by the players.

Coach takes a lot of blame a lot of the time. I'm not going to get on him for a quick mid game interview.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I think we got ourselves a football game, boys.

75Crazie
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Nope ... gotta have a defense to have a football game.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 03:00 PM

not in the ACC!

uh_no
11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
and we just ran out of gas on the side of I-85

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 03:11 PM

This is true. Duke reminds me somewhat of a Saints team. They have an above average offense but the defense is lacking. If the offense doesn't get going quickly, the defense struggles and the offense almost has to play a perfect game.

Apart from the lack of depth on defense which has been exploited due to injuries, they just don't have the horses. They have to play extremely disciplined and be in the perfect position and even then, there is little room for error in tackling. How many times do opponents get along the sidelines and what would normally be a tackle or a pushed out of bounds turns into a huge gain.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2012, 03:18 PM
This is true. Duke reminds me somewhat of a Saints team. They have an above average offense but the defense is lacking. If the offense doesn't get going quickly, the defense struggles and the offense almost has to play a perfect game.

Apart from the lack of depth on defense which has been exploited due to injuries, they just don't have the horses. They have to play extremely disciplined and be in the perfect position and even then, there is little room for error in tackling. How many times do opponents get along the sidelines and what would normally be a tackle or a pushed out of bounds turns into a huge gain.

The inability to wrap up and tackle is absolutely maddening. Is it lack of technique? Strength? Grrrr.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
The inability to wrap up and tackle is absolutely maddening. Is it lack of technique? Strength? Grrrr.

at least right now, duke's defense is having trouble keeping duke's offense off the field :D

Lunchab1es
11-24-2012, 03:47 PM
...they pull me back in. That afternoon nap will have to wait.

Wander
11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
We should pretend every play is a 4th and goal!

uh_no
...they pull me back in. That afternoon nap will have to wait.

the amount of fight in this team right now is incredible.

YmoBeThere
Didn't get to see the first half, but the second half has been very exciting. Nothing but proud of the effort I've seen so far.

mike88
11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Congratulating myself for helping Duke to get back in the game by walking the dog

ChrisP
11-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok, there's over 7 mins to go, but I don't think we can win this one. Just NO D at all. I feel so bad for the seniors. But...at least we haven't quit. Definitely some exciting plays in the 2nd half (unfortunately, Miami has made a lot of them!)

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Congratulating myself for helping Duke to get back in the game by walking the dog

I think the dog wants to go for another walk. Defense still keeping the offense on the field. But they just can't minimize the damage on these big plays and can't get over the hump.

Lunchab1es
11-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I think the dog wants to go for another walk. Defense still keeping the offense on the field. But they just can't minimize the damage on these big plays and can't get over the hump.

At least we are having this sort of discussion about getting over the proverbial hump against legitimate fellow ACC teams, rather than the bottom feeders like in years past...

uh_no
11-24-2012, 03:57 PM
At least we are having this sort of discussion about getting over the proverbial hump against legitimate fellow ACC teams, rather than the bottom feeders like in years past...

yep

and we played very competitively these past two weeks, since the offense can put up points....we're not getting blown out by these guys

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 04:04 PM

No doubt it is growth but I think we are entering that stage where it comes down to recruiting. Hopefully, they have a month to implement some tricks into the defense so that we don't have to score 50 to win at the bowl.

But you look at a "bad" Miami team who will be returning 10 starters on defense and had 5 top 150 recruits and 5 more top 300 recruits coming in. The defense is maddening to watch and even if our recruits pan out and their recruits aren't great, the difference between a guy who can run a 4.4 40 and a 4.5 40 is just too much to compensate for.

sporthenry
11-24-2012, 04:11 PM
But this team hasn't given up and are showing the heart that Duke fans are used to knowing. That said, if they somehow recover an onside, do they go for 2?

Connette got rolled up on and hopefully he is healthy to go in a month.

uh_no
11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
But this team hasn't given up and are showing the heart that Duke fans are used to knowing. That said, if they somehow recover an onside, do they go for 2?

Connette got rolled up on and hopefully he is healthy to go in a month.

wow....we pushed them to the limit there....that onside kick almost bounced our way.....

if we hadn't had our secondary all end up injured this year, I think we would have had an even better shot at these types of games.

congratulations on a great regular season...on to the bowl!

sagegrouse
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Lots of positives today on offense. We don't seem to be able to get stops, though. Looking forward to the bowl game. Thanks to the team for bringing us six victories.

sagegrouse

YmoBeThere
11-24-2012, 05:00 PM

And I was attributing it to me being able to watch the second half.

-bdbd
11-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Great effort by the offense today. Really impressive surge late.

But WHAT do we need to do to fix that Defense??? Is it scheme? Technique? Staying healthy (but other teams have injuries too)? Or, as I suspect, some of those, but lots of just recruiting and speed??? Any reason to believe that the current recruiting efforts are addressing these needs?

No doubt these kids are trying really hard, but this year the D just didn't seem to have it in the second half of the year... Arrgh!

Really looking forward to a great bowl! :D

Greg_Newton
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Tough way to close the season. I don't think we've had a lead since the UNC game, which is pretty disheartening.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Tough way to close the season. I don't think we've had a lead since the UNC game, which is pretty disheartening.

The last well played game was against Carolina.

Even a win today wouldn't keep me from feeling sad to see those seniors finish their careers at Duke. What a great group they've been.... collectively and individually!

roywhite
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM

As Gordon Lightfoot might have said, we don't do well when "the gales of November" come around.

Duke hoops --- can't lose in November; football -- can't seem to get a win.
Now at least, we get a chance to play football in December.

jv001
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Great effort by the offense today. Really impressive surge late.

But WHAT do we need to do to fix that Defense??? Is it scheme? Technique? Staying healthy (but other teams have injuries too)? Or, as I suspect, some of those, but lots of just recruiting and speed??? Any reason to believe that the current recruiting efforts are addressing these needs?

No doubt these kids are trying really hard, but this year the D just didn't seem to have it in the second half of the year... Arrgh!

Really looking forward to a great bowl! :D

I'll settle for some players that can make a tackle. The last two games showed what a poor tackling team we have. Way too many missed tackles that led to big plays. First down defense Saturday was terrible. Thank God for our offense keeping us in the last game. Let's hope we can recruit some up front guys that can get into the backfield and create some havoc. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
I'll settle for some players that can make a tackle. The last two games showed what a poor tackling team we have. Way too many missed tackles that led to big plays. First down defense Saturday was terrible. Thank God for our offense keeping us in the last game. Let's hope we can recruit some up front guys that can get into the backfield and create some havoc. GoDuke!

I am having trouble understanding what the main culprit is here. Lack of fundamentals? Is it a strength issue? A mental issue of just making the play? We are usually in position to stop the play, but the missed tackle gives the opponent another 5 to 15 yards.

I see the problem (and agree with jv001 on the problem although not sure it is a recruiting issue) -- just too untrained to know the core reason that needs to be addressed. Wisdom appreciated from all. Overall I like the 4-2-5 and think it works for a team built on speed, not size.

uh_no
11-25-2012, 10:58 PM

having safeties who aren't all injured will help the cause greatly....I think that was the single thing that hurt us the most this season...meant we had to dedicate 5 backs all the time with our 4 2 5 set.

if we can get some of those guys back, and give the underclassmen some time to learn (didn't we burn a couple redshirts at safety) will make a huge difference all around on the defense.

jv001
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I am having trouble understanding what the main culprit is here. Lack of fundamentals? Is it a strength issue? A mental issue of just making the play? We are usually in position to stop the play, but the missed tackle given the opponent another 5 to 15 yards.

I see the problem (and agree with jv001 on the problem although not sure it is a recruiting issue) -- just too untrained to know the core reason that needs to be addressed. Wisdom appreciated from all. Overall I like the 4-2-5 and think it works for a team built on speed, not size.

In some instances it looked like a lack of aggessiveness. Miami was putting some vicious hits on our ball carriers and showing the good fundamentals. But when you looked at our guys it was different as night and day. I liken it to a basketball player short arming a free throw which is mental. I know we have good players that have the ability to make good solid hits but they're not getting the job done. Like you OPK, I don't know what the problem is, but I sure wish we could get it turned around. GoDuke!

buddy
11-25-2012, 11:47 PM
The last time a Duke team surrendered 40 or more points 6 times in a season was in the Carl Franks era. As bad as we were under Ted Roof, we always had a better defense (I would suggest with lesser athletes) than we do now. Surrendering 198 points in the last four games is inexcusable, no matter how many injuries you have. The fact is that our defense could not make stops. JMOO, I think the issue is coaching. With lesser athletes (or at least with Ted Roof's and Carl Franks' athletes), Mark McIntyre did a better job of keeping us in the game. Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2012, 06:59 AM
The last time a Duke team surrendered 40 or more points 6 times in a season was in the Carl Franks era. As bad as we were under Ted Roof, we always had a better defense (I would suggest with lesser athletes) than we do now. Surrendering 198 points in the last four games is inexcusable, no matter how many injuries you have. The fact is that our defense could not make stops. JMOO, I think the issue is coaching. With lesser athletes (or at least with Ted Roof's and Carl Franks' athletes), Mark McIntyre did a better job of keeping us in the game. Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.

I could be wrong, but I think this is JK's second year.

Bob Green
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.

I believe this is a bit of an overstatement taking into consideration the amount of injured players this season. There is no doubt the defense must improve and improve substantially, but it is way premature to talk about firing assistant coaches.

I could be wrong, but I think this is JK's second year.

You are correct. Jim Knowles was the Safeties Coach in 2010 and moved up to Defensive Coordinator in 2011. So it is his third year on the staff but only his second year as Defensive Coordinator.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

How soon we forget! Mike McIntyre was a very good Defensive Co-originator coaching some of Ted Roof's recruits before he left for San Jose State. Marion Hobby followed him and there was lots of wailing until he left to go to Clemson.