PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Maui Invitational (Hey Carolina--why are you Butlering yourself?)

Bluedog
11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Butler hit a ridiculous three-pointer at the buzzer to take down Marquette by one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IprMJedRg0

Eternally grateful that that didn't happen to us a couple years ago!

Seems like a fairly weak field this year with UNC the only ranked team:
Butler
Marquette
Mississippi St
UNC
Texas
Chaminade
USC
Illinois

uh_no
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Butler
Marquette
Mississippi St
UNC
Texas
Chaminade
USC
Illinois

They take one team a league (and a midmajor) and the fields are decided years in advance. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you miss....this year is mostly a miss relative to what the field usually is.

wilson
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Butler hit a ridiculous three-pointer at the buzzer to take down Marquette by one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IprMJedRg0

Eternally grateful that that didn't happen to us a couple years ago!

Butler
Marquette
Mississippi St
UNC
Texas
Chaminade
USC
Illinois

They take one team a league (and a midmajor) and the fields are decided years in advance. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you miss....this year is mostly a miss relative to what the field usually is.Go Silverswords!

roywhite
11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Quite a shooting display by the Heels in their game vs Miss. State. 49-17 at half
Bullock (hottest of the bunch), McDonald, and Hairston are hitting 3-point bombs.

Not your typical Tar Heel attack...strange to see, will be interesting to see if they play this style as the season goes on.

77devil
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Unlike the Battle 4 Atlantis which is loaded. Nassau here I come.

sporthenry
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Figure, we can use this thread for other tournaments as well. UCLA (UNC West) down 11 to GTown under 4 to go. Tony Parker hasn't sniffed the court. He got some burn earlier but against cupcakes. I guess he didn't get the tapes of Mason over the last few games.

On a more serious note, Tyler Adams has been sidelined with a heart issue and might never play college basketball again. I apologize if this was brought up before but I was just seeing how 2 former recruits were doing against each other.

Bluedog
11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
And now Chaminade is beating Texas by 16. Still 9:07 to go though.

burnspbesq
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Up 16 with a minute to go. Stay tuned for the final score.

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Final score Chaminade 86 (!), Texas 73.

The Silverswords get either Illinois or USC tomorrow. No reason why they can't claim another scalp.

A-Tex Devil
11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Final score Chaminade 86 (!), Texas 73.

The Silverswords get either Illinois or USC tomorrow. No reason why they can't claim another scalp.

In Texas' limited defense, their entire squad is freshmen and sophomores (seriously -- everyone that gets minutes), and they are missing their best player because of the biggest NCAA screw job this side of Shabazz Muhammed.

But, man. Rick will be feeling the heat this year if they don't make the tourney.

juise
11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Figure, we can use this thread for other tournaments as well. UCLA (UNC West) down 11 to GTown under 4 to go. Tony Parker hasn't sniffed the court. He got some burn earlier but against cupcakes. I guess he didn't get the tapes of Mason over the last few games.

On a more serious note, Tyler Adams has been sidelined with a heart issue and might never play college basketball again. I apologize if this was brought up before but I was just seeing how 2 former recruits were doing against each other.

I made nearly an identical post in the UCLA-GTown thread... I missed that you had posted this hear. I share your sentiments on Adams.

As for Texas, not having Kabongo certainly must have hurt them (I didn't see the game), but there's no excuse for that kind of thrashing. Even with a young team, their #4 ranked freshman class should have given them a pretty decent talent margin.

juise
11-20-2012, 01:46 AM
There are some some good tweets about Rick Barnes (http://twitter.com/search?q=%22Rick%20Barnes%22) out there tonight. My favorites include the one about finally making UT fans care about hoops in November, the one about not being able to take the Clemson out of Rick, and the one about Rick teaching Mack Brown a lesson in underutilizing talent.

licc85
11-20-2012, 01:59 AM
There are some some good tweets about Rick Barnes (http://twitter.com/search?q=%22Rick%20Barnes%22) out there tonight. My favorites include the one about finally making UT fans care about hoops in November, the one about not being able to take the Clemson out of Rick, and the one about Rick teaching Mack Brown a lesson in underutilizing talent.

Here's some good tweets:

Whenever Kevin Durant makes a bad play, I assume he learned it from Rick Barnes.

After trying for 14 years, Rick Barnes finally got Texas fans to talk about basketball in November.

Text from Rick Barnes to Mack Brown: Take notes..this is how u under utilize ridiculous talent.

How does Rick Barnes still have a job as the head man at Texas? Longhorns getting smoked by Chaminade who lost by 10 to Western Washington

Texas should have probably pulled the plug on Rick Barnes when he couldn't make the Sweet 16 with Kevin Durant.

You can take Rick Barnes out of Clemson, but you can't take Clemson out of Rick Barnes.

Texas down by 14 in the 2nd half to Chaminade. Seems Rick Barnes is feeling extra Rick Barnesy tonight.

Less Rick Barnes coaching. RT @LonghornNetwork: To come back and beat Chaminade, the Horns need ___________ in the second half.

Rick Barnes makes more than one fifth of Chaminade's entire endowment annually (9.3 million).

Chaminade has 7 all-time wins at Maui. 2 of them have come with Rick Barnes as head coach. His 1991 Providence team also lost.

haha this stuff is great, poor rick barnes, but honestly, I never thought of Rick Barnes as a legit coach before anyway.

Olympic Fan
11-20-2012, 02:13 AM
It's not over but I'm giving up and going to bed -- Illinois is just hammering Southern Cal ... if UCLA is UNC West, the Southern Cal is Wake West with JT Terrell and Ari Stewert playing for the Trojans. I think it's funny that UCLA starts three refugees from a UNC team that didn't make the NCAA Tournament, while Southern Cal features two refugees from the worst ACC team of modern times.

It's hard to be too impressed by the Pac 10.

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
59-53 in OT to a bad USC team. If Rick Barnes isn't on the hot seat, then there is no hot seat in Austin.

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Halftime score: Butler 35, Carolina 18.

hurleyfor3
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I was hoping no one would jinx it by mentioning the score :|

loran16
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Halftime score: Butler 35, Carolina 18.

The biggest secret of this Butler team is through 3.5 games this year....they're just as poor a shooting team as last year. They're shooting under 30% from 3 in general - 31% even tonight. This is why Xavier killed them.

But the D is still solid. If they could learn to shoot, they could be dangerous. And yes, even up by 17, they're not particularly dangerous and UNC is totally in this.

striker219
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Quite a shooting display by the Heels in their game vs Miss. State. 49-17 at half
Bullock (hottest of the bunch), McDonald, and Hairston are hitting 3-point bombs.

Not your typical Tar Heel attack...strange to see, will be interesting to see if they play this style as the season goes on.

That's unpossible! Why, I feel like I've read threads at Inside Carolina where many, many fans of that fine university argued in favor of getting rid of the three point line because it's ruining the game. I was sure that UNC never shot 3's.

Also, I'm sure Carolina is going to come back in this one, because that's what they do, but I'm seriously enjoying seeing unranked Butler double them up (44-22) in the second half.

Edit: I was behind on my DVR, they've doubled them up 52-26 now.

hurleyfor3
11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm just noticing now the shot clocks in that gym are non-regulation. They don't show the game time remaining. Cameron had to get new clocks when the ncaa required it, and that had to have been at least 10 years ago.

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow. It is raining 3's in Maui. That Dunham kid is lighting up the Heels. Lead up to 27. This is pure joy to watch :)

striker219
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Did Roy Williams actually just call a timeout in response to the other team going on a run? Maybe you can teach an old (droopy) dog new tricks.

freedevil
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
This is pure joy to watch :)

So true.

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
and the jinx and meltdown is on. Butler in full crash mode. From 29 up to 17 up in about 2 minutes time....

striker219
11-20-2012, 09:39 PM
and the jinx and meltdown is on. Butler in full crash mode. From 29 up to 17 up in about 2 minutes time....

Have faith, maybe Butler just wants to give Carolina fans enough hope to keep them in front of the TV.

subzero02
11-20-2012, 09:39 PM
They can't let them comeback... No turnovers, strong on the defensive glass.

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
PJ Hairston is such a punk... my new favorite heel to hate. He gets his shot blocked down 23 points, but gets bailed out by a foul call, then decides to taunt the guy who blocked the shot. brilliant idea that was... I think Daniel Ewing got T'd up for it...

loran16
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Star Transfer - and 3 point ace - Rotnei Clarke may have hurt his hand (conflicting reports on which hand) which would just be awful for Butler. They need Clarke. They needed him last year.

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Star Transfer - and 3 point ace - Rotnei Clarke may have hurt his hand (conflicting reports on which hand) which would just be awful for Butler. They need Clarke. They needed him last year.

good news is the Stigall (sp?) kid is getting hot now. back up to 23 with 7 to go....

Cameron
11-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Roy wants you to know that he is a f------- cat person. Lol.

This is great. Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham are like the levers on a pinball machine. They can tally up the points in a hurry. Maybe the most dangerous backcourt shooting tandem in the country.

Hopefully we cling on to this lead, though.

SCMatt33
11-20-2012, 10:01 PM
The best part is that if UNC loses, they will likely have to play Chaminade, and I know they didn't want that.

loran16
11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
BTW, you know how we all I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about Duke playing Stall ball? Games like this clearly show why we shouldn't --> Butler has no clue how to play it. Lead about to be down to 9 with 1:30 or so left as Butler keeps turning the ball over early in the shot clock.

subzero02
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
This isn't happening... Butler needs to get to the foul line and close this thing out....

UrinalCake
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
This is almost comical. Lead down to 6.

subzero02
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Ok... Everyone but aldridge needs to get to the foul line... That first shot was nauseating

devilsadvocate85
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Ok... Everyone but aldridge needs to get to the foul line... That first shot was nauseating

Well done Brad Stevens and team. I love the way he coaches and how his teams play!

loran16
11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
UNC had to foul and not miss, Butler hit FTs, UNC missed, game over.

FerryFor50
11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Despite Butler's best attempts at giving this game away, they pulled it off. I would have preferred a 29 point blow out, but I'll take an 11 point loss by the Holes...

They really need to work on breaking the press though.

pamtar
11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Would have been nice if it was a blowout. Still, I'll take a unc loss however it comes. Wonder if the wine and cheesers even go to the chaminade game.

superdave
11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Roy Williams looks like an arse in that shirt. And he lost. GTHC.

sporthenry
11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Don't really want to check IC but I wonder what the excuse is.

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Would have been nice if it was a blowout. Still, I'll take a unc loss however it comes. Wonder if the wine and cheesers even go to the chaminade game.

They do and they were leaving in packs at about the 30 second mark, so improvement there. They almost made it to the end. No walkons left behind in this one though...

Billy Dat
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Rough ending, I knew I shouldn't have started watching when I saw the 29 point spread in the 2nd half. Paige looks good, though. Overall, the Heels seem to lack sizzle. They have a lot of solid players but little personality, save for Paige.

striker219
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
UNC had to foul and not miss, Butler hit FTs, UNC missed, game over.

And speaking of Carolina having to foul, I was following the game thread at IC and as soon as Carolina committed the very first clearly intentional foul, these four posts popped up in the thread.

"One last ripoff from the zebras? Talk about a quick whistle with phantom contact ....."

"quick whistle and not very much contact...see if they can see it. Dude was out of control well before he was "touched". These refs suck."

"Told ya there would be a bad call."

"That fat short Leprechaun ref has hated Carolina for years."

The combined number of posts from those 4 posters? 38,200. How can you spend that much time talking about and presumably watching basketball and not know when your team is fouling to stop the clock?

1 24 90
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
They went all the way to Hawaii and all they get is a 3rd place game against Chaminade!

Then they get to go play IU in Bloomington. :p

striker219
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Don't really want to check IC but I wonder what the excuse is.

You may want to sit down for this, but they're blaming the officiating.

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Beginning with 13 minutes to go, Carolina scored 40 points in 12 minutes--and got nothing in the last minute, because they started jacking up the first available three. Lack of discipline, lack of understanding. Ol' Roy surely does know how to do less with more.

ClosetHurleyFan
11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Just maybe it's poor decision making by a worn out
Young team

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Unskew the refs!

Newton_14
11-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Rough ending, I knew I shouldn't have started watching when I saw the 29 point spread in the 2nd half. Paige looks good, though. Overall, the Heels seem to lack sizzle. They have a lot of solid players but little personality, save for Paige.

Paige is decent, but does not appear to be a "special" PG like those of the recent past. This UNC team has a lot of quickness but outside of ball pressure they are not good at using it. Butler got every look it wanted before they stopped playing offense. UNC interior defense is putrid, especially compared to last year. Mason will have a field day.

Good half-court teams who have good ball handlers will give this UNC team trouble. Slow them down and they are lost. Their best offense came on broken plays...

Native
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, see ya!

loran16
11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Beginning with 13 minutes to go, Carolina scored 40 points in 12 minutes--and got nothing in the last minute, because they started jacking up the first available three. Lack of discipline, lack of understanding. Ol' Roy surely does know how to do less with more.

Ummm, 40 points in 12 minutes is not lack of discipline, and in the last minute when you are forced to foul, it does make sense to jack up the first available 3.

davidson
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Love the tweet from Dan Wetzel - UNC didn't show up tonight, but of course they still will receive academic credit.

Billy Dat
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I'll admit it was a great comeback attempt. What makes it great is the word "attempt".

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
it does make sense to jack up the first available 3.

No, it makes sense to take the first good three that becomes available in the context of your offense.

FerryFor50
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Young team

Worn out? Too much beach?

Maybe poor decision making by a poorly coached team?

striker219
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Love the tweet from Dan Wetzel - UNC didn't show up tonight, but of course they still will receive academic credit.

That is awesome. Maybe twitter isn't completely pointless.

burnspbesq
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Young team

Butler also played two games in 30 hours, and their decision making didn't go nearly as far south down the stretch.

Stop making excuses. Y'all got out-toughed and out-executed.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Well done Brad Stevens and team. I love the way he coaches and how his teams play!

Brad Stevens just showed one more qualification for being K's successor ... He knows how to beat Carolina!

sporthenry
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Of course. And I'm sure they are using the disparity in foul shooting as an example. But I thought their excuse for this for years was the aggressor gets more FTs and looking at FTs doesn't indicate unfairness by the refs.

JMM didn't have a great game. He never really impressed me and I thought he should have pulled a Marvin Williams and left town. He lucks out a bit by being the only game in town, especially down low b/c I don't think he'd be able to dominate if a Zeller type was still there.

But the team will be a big jump shooting team. They don't have much to get to the rim and really only have 1 threat down low so I suspect they'll have a lot of Duke like games with cold shooting nights.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Brad Stevens just showed one more qualification for being K's successor ... He knows how to beat Carolina!

I apologize in advance for going WAAAY off-topic, but if I had to choose 1 guy to replace Coach K - it would be Brad Stevens(and I don't think it's close).

JasonEvans
11-20-2012, 10:48 PM

The exact tweet was:

@DanWetzel: So North Carolina didn't show up tonight. They'll still get academic credit of course.

Other amusing tweets tonight:

@bomani_jones know how you know this game was bad for unc? roy's only got one timeout left. he's asking if he can use some he saved in 2006.

@Mattox: DidYouKnow: The UNC trip to Maui is worth 12 credit hours as a study abroad program.

-Jason "gotta love Butler... they play so hard and so smart (most of the time)" Evans

-bdbd
11-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Worn out? Too much beach?

Maybe poor decision making by a poorly coached team?

Just a stunning lack of focus through the first 25 minutes of this game by Carolina. Just wow. Given the talent disparity in their favor, and their depth advantage (while playing the second game in 2 nights), there's just no excuse for NC. How does a team get down by 20+ and blame the refs? Seriously??! Give em credit for finally making an effort in the last 10 minutes, but typical of College BB fans, the IC guys only want to talk about the two "touch" calls that went against them down the stretch, and not the ten hammers/pushes by NC that weren't called and contributed greatly to that "comeback."

HA! HA! HA! Typical poor coaching job by ole Huck. I'm really so glad he's there. Without dominant talent in Chapel Hill, he just doesn't have a chance this year! I love it: "Excelling in doing less with more!"

I'm really going to have trouble deciding who to root against in the NC vs MD game this year... Traditional villans vs my new favorite villans. :o

hurleyfor3
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Of course. And I'm sure they are using the disparity in foul shooting as an example.

Unc reached the 2-shot bonus in the second half several minutes before Butler reached the 1-and-1.

roywhite
11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Ah, what a nice early season treat to see the Heels go down.

Chad Ford observes in his Maui Invitational Day 2 roundup (http://espn.go.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball/post/_/id/11062/maui-invitational-day-2-roundup)

On Tuesday night, McAdoo had seven turnovers to go with his 10 points and five rebounds. Williams isn’t the only one miffed by the performance of his big man.

Most of the NBA scouts and general managers in the audience savaged McAdoo for his performance the past two games. “He looks good in a basketball uniform,” one GM told me. “But after that, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to like. He’s a pretty good athlete, but he isn’t very skilled and he doesn’t go hard all the time. There’s not one thing he does that really stands out about his game. He certainly hasn’t played like a top-five pick.”

No rest for the Heels....next up are the ever dangerous Chaminade Silverswords.

oldnavy
11-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Ah, what a nice early season treat to see the Heels go down.

Chad Ford observes in his Maui Invitational Day 2 roundup (http://espn.go.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball/post/_/id/11062/maui-invitational-day-2-roundup)

No rest for the Heels....next up are the ever dangerous Chaminade Silverswords.

And of course Ol Roy was all class in the post game. He snapped at a tourny worker for trying to lift his microphone up... if he is coming unglued this early, I may have as much fun as I did in 2010!

The comments from the NBA scout were harsh! To paraphrase - 'JMM looks good in the uniform, but I am not sure what to like after that' WOW! I wonder if JMM will suffer some backlash from the ridiculous overhype of HB the last two years??

Papa John
11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
I apologize in advance for going WAAAY off-topic, but if I had to choose 1 guy to replace Coach K - it would be Brad Stevens(and I don't think it's close).

I was thinking the same exact thing again last night. By handing the reigns to Stevens, not only would the program will be in very good hands, but none of K's pupils would have the unfair burden of having to follow in his footsteps and and stand in his shadow. I think it would be a brilliant move.

Back to the topic at hand—I was giddy with excitement when Butler went up by 29 last night!

OldPhiKap
11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Roy Williams, outcoached?

First time for everything. This season.

roywhite
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
A Tarheel loss is nice at any time, but particularly welcome at Holiday time!

Let's see, if there are UNC folks amongst our family and friends, what topic will they prefer to chat about over turkey and fixins?

1. The early season loss to Butler and Ole Roy's first meltdown of the season
2. Duke's last second win over the Heels in football
3. The academic scandal and coverup over on the Hill?

OldPhiKap
11-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Let's see, if there are UNC folks amongst our family and friends, what topic will they prefer to chat about over turkey and fixins?

Austin Rivers is also a good topic.

roywhite
11-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Austin Rivers is also a good topic.

Good point.

Some folks might get quiet in a hurry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFqomc1xsA)

TruBlu
11-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Leave it to UNC's propaganda rag. A few quotes from their article, even though they did have some negative comments about the game. (Link not provided 'cause I don't like the paper.)

"North Carolina even nearly came all the way back Tuesday"

" . . . and the Tar Heels nearly manufactured a comeback that would have been remembered alongside the greatest in school history."

and this quote in the article from Ole Roy: "I've never had a team quit" he said. "One possible exception could have been possibly Florida State (last season)"

Um, I seem to recall a certain blowout at Cameron a couple of years ago.

jcastranio
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
In watching both halves, I was struck by the possibilities (good and bad) of this Carolina team. Don't get me wrong. I would relish them going 0-32. But trying to be realistic and objective:

They seem suited for a up-tempo, pressing defense play 100 mph type of game. On the other hand, you need a lot of discipline and experience to do that well against tough opponents.

Their age and experience would dictate a more deliberate approach - but I'm not sure their team is built for that.

They could be dangerous. They do have players who can make the three.

Probably the Indiana game will give us our first real inklings. (Is that a word? "Inklings"?)

Dev11
11-21-2012, 08:55 AM

What do you mean, John Henson only opened his mouth to start smack-talking in the final minute when he threw down that important dunk to make it 80-50. Of course, Miles Plumlee was not impressed with the display and followed it up with a much more ferocious slam shortly thereafter.

NSDukeFan
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Leave it to UNC's propaganda rag. A few quotes from their article, even though they did have some negative comments about the game. (Link not provided 'cause I don't like the paper.)

"North Carolina even nearly came all the way back Tuesday"

" . . . and the Tar Heels nearly manufactured a comeback that would have been remembered alongside the greatest in school history."

and this quote in the article from Ole Roy: "I've never had a team quit" he said. "One possible exception could have been possibly Florida State (last season)"

I don't think they quit at Cameron, they were just severely out-classed by a juggernaut. At least that is how I choose to remember it.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
"I never quit on you."

-- Roy Williams, Comeback Letdown

Dukeblue91
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Nothing better then an early loss by the holes and their charming coach.
This is one of those defining moments for a team and will make or break their season depending how they will react to this loss.
If they also lose to IU this whole thing can become unglued and maybe a repeat of 2010.
One can only hope :p

Channing
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Agree on all fronts that it is always great to see UNC lose.

But...(and perhaps it was mentioned)...did anyone hear one of the announcers talk about how UNC always brilliantly uses their timeouts? Granted, he referred back to Dean Smith, but C'MON, Roy might be one of the worst TO managers out there. I found that funny, and just assume he needed to fill 5 seconds and that was the best he could come up with.

chaosmage
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Agree on all fronts that it is always great to see UNC lose.

But...(and perhaps it was mentioned)...did anyone hear one of the announcers talk about how UNC always brilliantly uses their timeouts? Granted, he referred back to Dean Smith, but C'MON, Roy might be one of the worst TO managers out there. I found that funny, and just assume he needed to fill 5 seconds and that was the best he could come up with.

That would be the always funny and charming Bill Raftery. After which the announcing QUICKLY shifted back to the game. I think you could hear the silence of Jay Bilas all the way back in Durham.

uh_no
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
BTW, you know how we all I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about Duke playing Stall ball? Games like this clearly show why we shouldn't --> Butler has no clue how to play it. Lead about to be down to 9 with 1:30 or so left as Butler keeps turning the ball over early in the shot clock.

we won the national championship in 2010 playing stall ball all the time.

I fail to see how one team's inability to run a style of offense is any sort of proof that we should never run it.

The 2010 team was extremely good at stall ball, much because of Jon being at the point, and we won a national championship. Today's duke team may be horrible at it.

Anyway, that's like saying "Georgia tech shouldn't run the ball every time because Duke never runs the ball successfully"...the logic doesn't make any sense.

94duke
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM

we won the national championship in 2010 playing stall ball all the time.

I fail to see how one team's inability to run a style of offense is any sort of proof that we should never run it.

The 2010 team was extremely good at stall ball, much because of Jon being at the point, and we won a national championship. Today's duke team may be horrible at it.

Anyway, that's like saying "Georgia tech shouldn't run the ball every time because Duke never runs the ball successfully"...the logic doesn't make any sense.

I think he meant we shouldn't "complain about running stall ball", not we shouldn't "run stall ball." But I could be mistaken.

Kewlswim
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Hi,

Our home will be things like:

1: How unfair it is that a kid who works hard and does all he is supposed to isn't admitted to Duke like his uncle.
2: How much being a child of an alum provides an unfair advantage for admittance to Duke.
3: How Stanford is just like Duke in that way.

"Mom, may I change the subject and talk about how Stanford might play Duke in the Bahamas?" :) "No, nobody wants to hear about that." Pass the peas.

GO DUKE!

chaosmage
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I soiled myself and went to their board, just to view it. Because I have had friends already cut me off on FB because I was cheering last night ;-)

Comments follow along of ---

"We should have played Zone D"

"Systemic problem with Roy not coaching"

"The refs were against us."

Here's one from my head - How about UNC saw Butler, overlooked them, got their tails kicked, tried to come back, and failed. If we do that, we say - We screwed up, Next Play - UNC does it, and it's never their fault. I always thought my uncle (UNC grad during the Jordan years) was just that big of a ....... - but I guess it really is that big of a problem.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

I arrived to this thread late and read your list... I thought it was your list of things to be thankful for.

:)

You gotta respect that Butler program.

Newton_14
11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
More fodder for OldNavy (speaking of which, where is OldNavy?? Surely he watched the game) but back to Ol Roy our favorite Holiday Gift that keeps on giving...

The article in the News & Observer told the entire story of ol roy shooting the mic guy with his bb gun.. oh sorry.. wrong story.. that was last season...

here you go

How mad was Williams about his team’s performance? So mad that he snapped at a member of the tournament staff who tried to fix his microphone during his postgame press conference. It was a strange moment on a strange night for UNC. The scene: Williams, sitting behind a table with a microphone on it, began to talk. His microphone, though, was a bit droopy and facing the table instead of Williams. So a member of the Maui staff walked over to the table and tried to fix the mic. That’s when Williams said: “Everybody can hear me – you don’t have to worry about the freaking mic. I apologize. I just got my butt beat, so you’ve got to understand. But everybody can hear me. There’s no damn problem hearing me any time I talk.”

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/butler-82-unc-71-the-look-back#storylink=cpy

subzero02
11-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I soiled myself and went to their board, just to view it. Because I have had friends already cut me off on FB because I was cheering last night ;-)

Comments follow along of ---

"We should have played Zone D"

"Systemic problem with Roy not coaching"

"The refs were against us."

Here's one from my head - How about UNC saw Butler, overlooked them, got their tails kicked, tried to come back, and failed. If we do that, we say - We screwed up, Next Play - UNC does it, and it's never their fault. I always thought my uncle (UNC grad during the Jordan years) was just that big of a ....... - but I guess it really is that big of a problem.

While I agree that we are better at blaming ourselves for our shortcomings than many other fan bases, I don't know if we'd be able to just say "next play" the day after we trailed a very good mid-major by 29 points.

chaosmage
11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
While I agree that we are better at blaming ourselves for our shortcomings than many other fan bases, I don't know if we'd be able to just say "next play" the day after we trailed a very good mid-major by 29 points.

While I agree with that to some extent, I think the problem is, having played Butler, we know not to underestimate them. After UNC's first game, it appeared that they figured it'd be a cakewalk, and did not take the lessons of Texas and UCLA into account. I hope that we continue to see parity like this throughout the season, where every game is tough.

Tappan Zee Devil
11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Probably the Indiana game will give us our first real inklings. (Is that a word? "Inklings"?)

two definitions of inklings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inklings

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Inklings

Personally, I am a great admirer of the group that met in the Eagle and Child in Oxford (Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams et al.)

Wander
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
After UNC's first game, it appeared that they figured it'd be a cakewalk, and did not take the lessons of Texas and UCLA into account.

I don't think it was a matter of underestimating Butler as much as it was all of us underestimating the degree to which Mississippi State sucks. Beating MSU, even by 30 points or whatever it was, just isn't that meaningful.

Saratoga2
11-21-2012, 06:59 PM
UNC showed later in the game, that if they played determined defense and used their advantage in size and athleticism they could have and should have won. The problem is they played weakly and let Butler outhustle, outrebound and outplay them in every way for all of the first half and for at least 5 minutes of the second half. Old Roy should have been able to do more earlier, but didn't. Butler is a very well coached team with a lot of good ball handlers and shooters and they are hard to rattle. We certainly know about how difficult they can be to play and beat.

It should also be a lesson for our Duke team, who has come out slowly too often. They need to play with determination, hustle and play intelligently, or they too could be humiliated by Minnesota or one of the teams we face in Nassau.

captmojo
11-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Let's go swords!

oldnavy
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
More fodder for OldNavy (speaking of which, where is OldNavy?? Surely he watched the game) but back to Ol Roy our favorite Holiday Gift that keeps on giving...

The article in the News & Observer told the entire story of ol roy shooting the mic guy with his bb gun.. oh sorry.. wrong story.. that was last season...

here you go

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/butler-82-unc-71-the-look-back#storylink=cpy
I'm here! Already commented on Roy's classy post game. He's a great guy when things are going well. Not so much when they aren't. This year has potential to be a blast. Think about if this UNC scandal seeps over to men's BB. That along with a lackluster team may put Ol Roy in a straight jacket! Can't wait!

Olympic Fan
11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
The beauty of tonight's consolation game is that from the NCAA's point of view, it's an exhibition game. Division 2 opponents do not count in the RPI or the seeding process.

UNC went to Maui, hoping to win three games.

Win or lose tonight, they'll come home with one (official) win.

But, hey, they can still finish in third place -- that ought to be worth a banner!

Newton_14
11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
The beauty of tonight's consolation game is that from the NCAA's point of view, it's an exhibition game. Division 2 opponents do not count in the RPI or the seeding process.

UNC went to Maui, hoping to win three games.

Win or lose tonight, they'll come home with one (official) win.

But, hey, they can still finish in third place -- that ought to be worth a banner!

You read my mind on the banner. I was thinking about that today.

On the record, I did not realize that. I thought the game counted like a regular game. So that is good for Texas then. I am sure Barnes is happy for that rule now.

hurleyfor3
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I can feel the apathy through my teevee of the unc fans watching their team play Chaminade.

Eternal Outlaw
11-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Good tidbit from the Chad Ford chat today you could mention

Joseph (Provo, UT. )

Does Roy Williams not get the most out of his players? It appears that Macadoo is doing teh same thing that Barnes did. A big recruit that isn't playing up to the potential.

Chad Ford (1:41 PM)

It's a question I was discussing with a number of GMs yesterday. Obviously UNC gets a lot of blue chip talent which means they're going to be good no matter what. But how many of those players actually develop or get better while they are at UNC? I can name a bunch of players at Kentucky who improve their games with Cal. Much harder to come up with examples among the elite UNC recruits. Not sure how much development they get there.

throatybeard
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
OF, where can I get me a t-shirt commemorating Carolina's third-place Maui finish? Preferably with the score against Chaminade?

This is making me sad that I wasn't petty enough to buy a 2010 Dayton NIT shirt.

Newton_14
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
OF, where can I get me a t-shirt commemorating Carolina's third-place Maui finish? Preferably with the score against Chaminade?

This is making me sad that I wasn't petty enough to buy a 2010 Dayton NIT shirt.

Happy Thanksgiving Throaty! http://www.customink.com/p/0035/?pc=PNG-61508903Z&cm_pla=PRyoO&cm_ite=print_your_own_tee_shirts&cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=PG&adpos=1t1&gclid=CIf86dzE4bMCFQGFnQodxCYAsw

uh_no
11-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I heard a rumor...can't reveal my sources unfortunately, that UNC will have a Maui Invitational 3rd Place banner unveiling ceremony before the Duke/UNC game in the Dean Dome.

Roy Williams was heard to have said that they chose that game was because he and his team felt they were best inspired by mediocrity: both in the classroom and on the court.

Dev11
11-22-2012, 12:57 AM
I heard a rumor...can't reveal my sources unfortunately, that UNC will have a Maui Invitational 3rd Place banner unveiling ceremony before the Duke/UNC game in the Dean Dome.

Roy Williams was heard to have said that they chose that game was because he and his team felt they were best inspired by mediocrity: both in the classroom and on the court.

If UNC's version of academics among their student-athletes is considered 'mediocre,' then I was a valedictorian.

(Full disclosure: I was nowhere close to a valedictorian)

uh_no
11-22-2012, 01:50 AM
If UNC's version of academics among their student-athletes is considered 'mediocre,' then I was a valedictorian.

I said they were INSPIRED by mediocrity....not that they ever actually achieved it :)

TruBlu
11-22-2012, 03:26 AM

I was close to a valedictorian. He was next to me in the alphabetical line-up.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Well, you would have to BE in a classroom for that to really be accurate . . . .

NSDukeFan
11-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Well, you would have to BE in a classroom for that to really be accurate . . . .

I believe he meant the metaphorical classroom. UNC athletes did achieve mediocrity there, wherever there was.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I believe he meant the metaphorical classroom. UNC athletes did achieve mediocrity there, wherever there was.

UNC = Usually No Classwork

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
unc = usually no classwork

ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!!!!!!!!

uh_no
11-22-2012, 11:39 AM
UNC = Usually No Classwork

as well as Unusually Non-Competitive in maui

BD80
11-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Good tidbit from the Chad Ford chat today you could mention

Joseph (Provo, UT. )

Does Roy Williams not get the most out of his players? It appears that Macadoo is doing teh same thing that Barnes did. A big recruit that isn't playing up to the potential.

Chad Ford (1:41 PM)

It's a question I was discussing with a number of GMs yesterday. Obviously UNC gets a lot of blue chip talent which means they're going to be good no matter what. But how many of those players actually develop or get better while they are at UNC? I can name a bunch of players at Kentucky who improve their games with Cal. Much harder to come up with examples among the elite UNC recruits. Not sure how much development they get there.

Conversely, doesn't it seem that carolina players do better in the pros than they ever did in college? Sounds like HBarnes is tearing it up this year

sagegrouse
11-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Conversely, doesn't it seem that carolina players do better in the pros than they ever did in college? Sounds like HBarnes is tearing it up this year

I couldn't tell whether your comment on Barnes was serious or tongue-in-cheek, so I looked up his data:

12 games, 12 starts, 11.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 1.3 APG.

Not bad. Hansbrough has only started 30 games in two years.

A. Rivers has also started all his games and has per game stats of 7.4/2.0/3.0. His shooting percentage is still low, but should improve.

sagegrouse

sporthenry
11-23-2012, 09:48 PM

Would you say Roy Williams was the only one to hold Barnes under 20? Barnes has been playing well and I think he'll be good in the pros. Good shooter with good size and a refined pull up jumper but he is no Kyrie.

sagegrouse
11-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Not bad. Hansbrough has only started 30 games in two years.

I mistyped or something. The total starts for Hansbrough in his FOUR years in the league is 30 games.

sage

hurleyfor3
11-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Conversely, doesn't it seem that carolina players do better in the pros than they ever did in college?

Unless they're seven feet tall and white; then their career apex comes in chapel hill