PDA

View Full Version : Really Jay Bilas?

dukelion
11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I try not to pay attention to rankings too often (other than KenPom) but sometimes you see something that just makes you shake your head.

While I'm not exactly sure what the precise definition of a "power ranking" is, I'm pretty sure that it's an estimator of a team's current ranking with respect to all the other teams.

So if for example Team 1 is 1-0 and plays Team 2 who is also 1-0 on a neutral court, the winner would be deemed by all 18 ESPN power ranking voters to be currently a better team.

I guess only 17 understand this logic.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/show/first

hurleyfor3
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
If "Understanding Jay Bilas" were a major at Duke, this wouldn't even be 100-level material.

DeBlueDevil
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Did any one notice that Jay Williams has them ranked even lower?!?!

Check voters 13-18

Turtleboy
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Did any one notice that Jay Williams has them ranked even lower?!?!

Check voters 13-18They are, however, ahead of Kentucky, which I believe was dukelion's beef with Bilas.

Billy Dat
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
To balance the Bilas scales

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8652220/jay-bilas-chad-ford-debate-impact-shabazz-muhammad-joining-ucla-bruins

This is subscriber content (I think ESPN insider at less than $10 a month is well worth it, plus you get a subscription to the mag), but let me paraphrase within the limits of the board rules...

Bilas and Chad Ford do a little back and forth on a number of topics. Jay lauds Mason as a pro prospect who is "on the rise" and calls out Wojo's excellent work with him as a big man coach as a key factor in his development.

Even more astounding, Chad Ford, who never gives Duke or its players much shine, says that Duke has been the team that's impressed him the most so far and that we will be a difficult out in March. Hearing this stuff from Ford is astounding - I have bashed him for what I perceived to be Duke-bashing over the years so I have to give him his due.