PDA

View Full Version : Where is the surfing Devil?

PallasAthena
11-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Did I miss something? Did the Devil surf tonight or last week?

Perhaps the board is in the shop. Inquiring minds want to know.

BlueDevil16
11-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Not tonight but did at the opener vs GA State

uh_no
11-19-2012, 12:17 AM

the surf just wasn't up today. perhaps there was a shark sighting?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Don't know why he didn't surf tonight. The Blue Devil was there, and the surfboard was there, stored in its usual place waiting for him, but he never picked it up and the band didn't play Wipe Out. Bummer. :mad:

PumpkinFunk
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Don't know why he didn't surf tonight. The Blue Devil was there, and the surfboard was there, stored in its usual place waiting for him, but he never picked it up and the band didn't play Wipe Out. Bummer. :mad:

Bizarre. Sometimes that happens (on very rare occasions) because there's not enough people in the band to do it. Usually, if they don't surf it's because the trombone section, who does the surfing, doesn't have enough people and there's not enough flute/clarinet players or percussionists (the expendable people, noise-wise) who have done it before. It's not safe to do it with too many people who have never surfed before, because that leads to the devil having a near-certainty of falling off.

PallasAthena
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Bizarre. Sometimes that happens (on very rare occasions) because there's not enough people in the band to do it. Usually, if they don't surf it's because the trombone section, who does the surfing, doesn't have enough people and there's not enough flute/clarinet players or percussionists (the expendable people, noise-wise) who have done it before. It's not safe to do it with too many people who have never surfed before, because that leads to the devil having a near-certainty of falling off.

Thanks for the expert answer! I can certainly see that inexperienced surfers could be a hazard to themselves and the Blue guy.

I did not know it was the trombone section. Maybe they found the 8 o'clock Sunday night game as strange as the fans did. As long as Mason doesn't seem to care, I guess it is OK!

dukeENG2003
11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I think its that one of the devil's isn't very good at it, while the other guy is. They did play wipeout last night, they just didn't surf.

toooskies
11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I think its that one of the devil's isn't very good at it, while the other guy is. They did play wipeout last night, they just didn't surf.

I'm all in favor of the devil falling during the surf, early in the year. It gives the fans a reason to care! If he's going to make it every time and not even wobble, and it's easy, then there's no accomplishment there, and no reason to cheer for it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm all in favor of the devil falling during the surf, early in the year. It gives the fans a reason to care! If he's going to make it every time and not even wobble, and it's easy, then there's no accomplishment there, and no reason to cheer for it!
Not so many years ago there was a Devil who injured his/her knee pretty badly during a stunt. ... maybe someone else who was in Cameron that evening can recall whether it was during the surfing.

It may appear more entertaining if the mascot's skill improves over the course of the season, but I'm not so sure about fans caring more or less based the relative difficulty of this stunt.;)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM

I have told Jeff Au many times that I am available for "rolling duty"! He keeps saying "NO!" :mad: Of course, I'd love to try the surfing, too! Bilas did it a few years ago.

uh_no
11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Not so many years ago there was a Devil who injured his/her knee pretty badly during a stunt. ... maybe someone else who was in Cameron that evening can recall whether it was during the surfing.

It may appear more entertaining if the mascot's skill improves over the course of the season, but I'm not so sure about fans caring more or less based the relative difficulty of this stunt.;)

Yep. It was him jumping off during the surf at the end....landed awkwardly and tore his ACL