PDA

View Full Version : Duke football injury report, 11-15-12

jimsumner
11-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Braxton's absence the biggest disappointment. But at least Norman is back.

And the DL is healthier than it's been all season.

Duke Football Injury Report

Duke vs. Georgia Tech

November 17, 2012

PROBABLE

C Brian Moore (leg)

S Dwayne Norman (upper body)

RB Juwan Thompson (upper body)

DOUBTFUL

S Anthony Young-Wiseman (leg)

OUT

CB Jared Boyd (leg)

S Brandon Braxton (lower body)

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

TE Braxton Deaver (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

TE Jack Farrell (leg)

WR Blair Holliday

DE Allen Jackson (shoulder)

S Corbin McCarthy (shoulder)

S Taylor Sowell (leg)

budwom
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Will you still be surprised if we don't beat Tech, Monsieur Sumner? They've been looking pretty good, and are 13 point favorites.
I think we can be competitive if we don't turn the ball over, but don't see us holding them to fewer than 40 points. Can we score that much?
Too bad we won't have Braxton.

jimsumner
11-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Will you still be surprised if we don't beat Tech, Monsieur Sumner? They've been looking pretty good, and are 13 point favorites.
I think we can be competitive if we don't turn the ball over, but don't see us holding them to fewer than 40 points. Can we score that much?
Too bad we won't have Braxton.

If the Tech team that played Middle Tennessee State and BYU shows up, Duke is in good shape. :)

loran16
11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
If the Tech team that played Middle Tennessee State and BYU shows up, Duke is in good shape. :)

Well, MTSU. BYU is a very good team.

It's reassuring to see Annunike not even mentioned on the report.

jimsumner
11-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, MTSU. BYU is a very good team.

It's reassuring to see Annunike not even mentioned on the report.

BYU is 6-4. One of those six wins was 41-17 at GT. Tech did not play well in that game. Not well at all. I'd love to see a similar effort Saturday.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Jim - any idea when we'll get a game time for the Miami game? I'm not looking ahead, but need to plan the tailgate! :cool:

loran16
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
BYU is 6-4. One of those six wins was 41-17 at GT. Tech did not play well in that game. Not well at all. I'd love to see a similar effort Saturday.

BYU is #25 in Sagarin (#18 in the Predictor rankings). That's a good team - roughly Clemson level. They have one bad loss (@Utah) but their remaining 3 losses are to Notre Dame (@ND), Oregon State, and Boise State (@Boise). And Utah's actually solid.

That 6-4 record is misleading really - they're almost certain to finish 8-4, though their final 2 games are road games and SJSU isn't bad either.

jimsumner
11-15-2012, 09:21 PM
BYU is #25 in Sagarin (#18 in the Predictor rankings). That's a good team - roughly Clemson level. They have one bad loss (@Utah) but their remaining 3 losses are to Notre Dame (@ND), Oregon State, and Boise State (@Boise). And Utah's actually solid.

That 6-4 record is misleading really - they're almost certain to finish 8-4, though their final 2 games are road games and SJSU isn't bad either.

Georgia Tech played a lousy game against BYU. Truly awful. Missed tackles, special teams mistakes, less than 200 yards of total offense. If Tech plays that way Saturday, they will lose. Not by 24 points. But they will lose.

jimsumner
11-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Jim - any idea when we'll get a game time for the Miami game? I'm not looking ahead, but need to plan the tailgate! :cool:

GREENSBORO, NC – The Atlantic Coast Conference Monday announced that ESPN has declared its final six-day option of the year for the games of Nov. 24. ESPN will hold five ACC controlled games and announce those gametimes and networks no later than by noon on Sunday, Nov. 18.

The ACC did announce three gametimes for Nov. 24.

Saturday, November 24

Georgia Tech at Georgia, ESPN, Noon #GTvsUGA

Florida at Florida State, ABC,ESPN or ESPN2*, 3:30 pm #UFvsFSU

South Carolina at Clemson, ESPN or ESPN2*, 7 p.m. #SCARvsCLEM

Boston College at NC State, TBA* #BCvsNCSU

Miami at Duke, TBA* #MIAvsDUKE

Maryland at North Carolina, TBA* #MDvsUNC

Virginia at Virginia Tech, TBA * #UVAvsVT

Vanderbilt at Wake Forest, TBA* #VANDYvsWAKE

*Gametimes and networks to be announced no later than by noon on Sunday, Nov. 18.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks Jim. I thought that might be it. I guess it all depends on winning this Saturday. If we're playing for the division title, it could be the prime time game! Hope it's warm that night. And dry.

jjasper0729
11-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Jim. I thought that might be it. I guess it all depends on winning this Saturday. If we're playing for the division title, it could be the prime time game! Hope it's warm that night. And dry.

If we win tomorrow, it's entirely possible, if the Miami game comes down to the Coastal title, that we could be the ACC game of the week. I dont' see a game for 12:30 on that day listed yet so that's still hanging out there.

jimsumner
11-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Back to GT. I'm certainly not as confident of a Duke win as I was a month ago. I think you have to give Paul Johnson some credit. Their season was in free-fall and he made the decision to fire a veteran DC in mid-season. Tech still isn't shutting people down but they do seem to have turned their season around.

That said, this is the weakest of his teams at Tech and Duke has been closing ground. I think they respect GT but I don't think they view this as Mission Impossible.

So, I like Duke's chances. I think the week off will be a big help. It gave Duke some extra time to work on Tech's option but more importantly it gave Duke some time to get healthy.

I do wish Braxton were healthier. But look at Duke's DL. For the first time this season, all of the DEs are healthy-Anunike, Foxx, Johnson, DeWalt-Ondigo have all been hurt this season. Bruce and Wallace are healthy at DT. The linebackers are healthy. Duke is thin at DB but getting Norman back helps and Young-Wiseman might be good for a series or three. Tech has the potential to keep the ball for long periods of time, wearing out your defense. But Duke should be able to keep fresh troops on the field in the front six.

What you have to avoid against Tech and similar teams is the pattern where they keep the ball for six minutes, score, get a three-and-out and you send an exhausted defense back on the field. Of course, your defense can stop this pattern by getting some three-and-outs of their own. Most of Duke's key defenders have played against this offense several times, so there is some familiarity. Will discipline and execution follow?

I'm looking forward to finding out. Here we are in basketball season, a top 10 team coming off a huge win against Kentucky and getting ready to go to a major holiday tournament and we're talking football games, big, huge football games with championship implications. After wandering in the Franks-Roof wilderness for so many years, this is, to use a technical terms, way cool.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Here we are in basketball season, a top 10 team coming off a huge win against Kentucky and getting ready to go to a major holiday tournament and we're talking football games, big, huge football games with championship implications. After wandering in the Franks-Roof wilderness for so many years, this is, to use a technical terms, way cool.

Excellent analysis, and wanted to highlight the quote above. Here's to hoping/expecting that from solid foundations come solid seasons. Bowls are fun. Meaningful November football is fun. Competing for Championships is fun.

As Cut said in his press conference the other day, you have to grab these opportunities when you can. It doesn't matter where you are, they do not come by all the time. Learning to take care of business is a big maturation process and I look forward to seeing how we do.

This is fun.

Olympic Fan
11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
If we win tomorrow, it's entirely possible, if the Miami game comes down to the Coastal title, that we could be the ACC game of the week. I dont' see a game for 12:30 on that day listed yet so that's still hanging out there.

Actually, if Duke and Miami is for the Coastal Title, it's more likely to be picked up by ESPN -- either for one of its 3:30 p.m. slot or even for a 7pm slot. I know that we already have Florida-FSU at 3:30 on one ESPN outlet and Clemson-South Carolina at 7 on another, but they have three games in both time slots. It could also be an ABC reguional gme at 3:30.

I think it's more likely to be the ACC game of the week if Duke loses to Georgia Tech.

The ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ABC slotsare considered the more presitigious. The ACC game of the week is for leftovers that the ESPN gamily doesn't want.

BTW, Nice analysis from Jim on the Georgia Tech game. I agree that it's a muh tougher game that it looked like it would be a month ago, but it's still a game Duke can win if they play well. They are a very potent offensive team now, especially with Vad Lee at quarterback (and espeially when he's as sharp as he was at UNC), but the defense is still weak -- their pass defense is the worst in the ACC against ACC competition.

budwom
11-16-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm in on the agreement, too, GT is way better than they were.
Among other things, you really, really have to respect their passing game now. They lull you to sleep with eight runs in a row, then slip their wideouts deep for loooong gains.
It killed the Tarheels (which is admirable, of course).

They depend on ball control. We'll need to do some of our own. Will have to score 35-40 minimum to win.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm in on the agreement, too, GT is way better than they were.
Among other things, you really, really have to respect their passing game now. They lull you to sleep with eight runs in a row, then slip their wideouts deep for loooong gains.
It killed the Tarheels (which is admirable, of course).

They depend on ball control. We'll need to do some of our own. Will have to score 35-40 minimum to win.

Cut mentioned in his press conference that GT averaged about 24 yards a pass (or something like that) and 5 yards a pass, which means that one pass is equal to five runs. (Numbers not quite right, going from memory). Assignment discipline is key, as is wrapping up the tackles.

jimsumner
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Cut mentioned in his press conference that GT averaged about 24 yards a pass (or something like that) and 5 yards a pass, which means that one pass is equal to five runs. (Numbers not quite right, going from memory). Assignment discipline is key, as is wrapping up the tackles.

Lee has been much more effective than Washington as a deep passer.

The key to stopping Tech's passing game is making them pass when you want them to, not when they want to. In other words, 3rd-and-7, good; 3rd-and-2, not so good.

First downs are always big but they tend to be even bigger against GT's offense.