PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith's Future in Portland?

gwlaw99
11-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Averaging less than two minutes a game in the last 5 games with 2 DNPs. What do you think Nolan's future will be in Portland and the NBA? I really hope he turns it around.

DukieInBrasil
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Averaging less than two minutes a game in the last 5 games with 2 DNPs. What do you think Nolan's future will be in Portland and the NBA? I really hope he turns it around.

He's shooting 50% from the floor, so he's not wasting his time in the Show. The lack of minutes is due to the arrival of Lillard, but is still disconcerting. The lack of minutes is masks his productivity, but that's the rub ain't it? He's got to show that he deserves the minutes, and in the games it seems like he's making a decent case but that hasn't added up to PT, yet.

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Who knows..but after watching Redick go from a permanent bench warmer/role player to a starter with a ton of points, I'd say be patient. I remember wishing hard as I could that JJ would get out of Orlando so he could get a real opportunity...and in the end he got one and made the best of it staying right where he was.

Billy Dat
11-16-2012, 09:55 AM
John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
Well, when a talent like Nolan Smith is available ... RT @CoupNBA Would love to know the specifics on why teams let Faried slip to 22.

Sadly, this seems to be Nolan's current NBA rep. He's gonna have to dig deep to change it, probably somewhere other than Portland. Once you get drafted over, and that pick (Lillard) proves legit, the writing is on the wall.

brianl
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Who knows..but after watching Redick go from a permanent bench warmer/role player to a starter with a ton of points, I'd say be patient. I remember wishing hard as I could that JJ would get out of Orlando so he could get a real opportunity...and in the end he got one and made the best of it staying right where he was.

I would expect Orlando to be shopping JJ very hard as the upcoming trade deadline approaches. He's the last piece that will be discarded in the rebuilding of Orlando project.

It is great to see him get the opportunity to get regular minutes and to make the most of the opportunity.

Edouble
11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Well, when a talent like Nolan Smith is available ... RT @CoupNBA Would love to know the specifics on why teams let Faried slip to 22.

Sadly, this seems to be Nolan's current NBA rep. He's gonna have to dig deep to change it, probably somewhere other than Portland. Once you get drafted over, and that pick (Lillard) proves legit, the writing is on the wall.

I am sorry, but I have no idea what this means. The tweet says Nolan is talented, so what is the rep that he needs to change? Confused...

Jderf
11-16-2012, 01:06 PM

I am sorry, but I have no idea what this means. The tweet says Nolan is talented, so what is the rep that he needs to change? Confused...

Sarcasm and written text... they are such old enemies, aren't they?

theAlaskanBear
11-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I would expect Orlando to be shopping JJ very hard as the upcoming trade deadline approaches. He's the last piece that will be discarded in the rebuilding of Orlando project.

It is great to see him get the opportunity to get regular minutes and to make the most of the opportunity.

You know what team would be great for Redick? Da Bulls. Spell Heinrich and Hamilton -- upgrade their outside shooting.

Bluedog
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
You know what team would be great for Redick? Da Bulls. Spell Heinrich and Hamilton -- upgrade their outside shooting.

Well, the Bulls wanted him and gave him a pretty good offer when he was a restricted free agent, but the Magic matched it even though it put them over the luxury cap, so it showed the Magic really was willing to pay the price to keep him. Then the Bulls picked up Korver instead.

Billy Dat
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Yeah, like Jderf said, Hollinger's tweet was dripping with sarcasm. Kenneth Farried is considered one of the great picks in Nolan's draft. Nolan is already being viewed as someone who was picked too high and doesn't look like an NBA player. I don't agree that the assessment is fair or accurate, but it's the current opinion.

sporthenry
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Nolan has no future in Portland. His development/chance was hurt by Nate McMillan being his head coach for most of his 2 years. I think Nate thought it was against the CBA to play rookies. Portland also has a ton of youth/draft picks and now with Lillard looking like a stud, there isn't much room for Nolan.

I think Nolan still has a chance but the odds are against him a bit. And Nolan will always be scrutinized b/c the 2011 draft was very deep. Reggie Jackson, Norris Cole, Singler, Parsons, Lavoy Allen, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

And Nolan only gets brought up b/c he was right before Faried while a player like Alec Burks was selected 12th overall and has a negative PER or even Jimmer who has been a bust.

English
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Funny enough, but during Sandy's encounter with DC my cable went out and I passed the time watching some 30 for 30s, specifically "Once Brothers" about Yugoslavia's split and Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic. Which I recommend for all hoops fans.

I say that to say this...Petrovic, then considered the greatest Euro pro product ever, went to Portland when Divac found his home in LA. While Vlade prospered with Magic, Petrovic got more and more depressed in Portland playing behind a deep guard rotation and getting little burn. Eventually he wound up with the Nets, got his minutes and flourished (before a tragic end). Opportunity is nearly everything in the League and capitalizing is the clincher. With those efficiency stats, albeit in limited minutes, Nolan looks like he could be a valuable role player for another club. Hope he gets that shot and doesn't get too discouraged. I would be highly pleased if Nolan made a home with the Bobcats. They have what you might politely call a dearth of talent at the guard spots. Homerism and all that.

hq2
11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Funny enough, but during Sandy's encounter with DC my cable went out and I passed the time watching some 30 for 30s, specifically "Once Brothers" about Yugoslavia's split and Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic. Which I recommend for all hoops fans.

I say that to say this...Petrovic, then considered the greatest Euro pro product ever, went to Portland when Divac found his home in LA. While Vlade prospered with Magic, Petrovic got more and more depressed in Portland playing behind a deep guard rotation and getting little burn. Eventually he wound up with the Nets, got his minutes and flourished (before a tragic end). Opportunity is nearly everything in the League and capitalizing is the clincher. With those efficiency stats, albeit in limited minutes, Nolan looks like he could be a valuable role player for another club. Hope he gets that shot and doesn't get too discouraged. I would be highly pleased if Nolan made a home with the Bobcats. They have what you might politely call a dearth of talent at the guard spots. Homerism and all that.

I think Nolan may get a chance someplace else. I don't really think his game quite fits the way
Portland plays. Portland is one of those teams that tries to overwhelm other teams with sheer
athleticism. They run a lot, attack the rim, commit hard fouls, and crash the boards. That isn't
really Nolan's style. I'd say he needs a change some place where his combo guard skills would
be appreciated, a place that plays a little slower pace with more of an emphasis on shooting. Hard
to say where that would be.

Edouble
11-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Sarcasm and written text... they are such old enemies, aren't they?

This comes across as being just incredibly rude, as if to say "it's sarcasm, you moron". When someone makes a what I deem to be a moronic post on this board, I tend to just ignore it.

I appreciate Billy Dat's explanation of those two tweets. With the incomplete sentences, not knowing what/who RT is, not being a big twitter person myself, I could not make sense of any of the syntax. Thanks Billy.

Greg_Newton
11-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Ironically, the fact that you took offense to Jderf's post kind of reinforces its truth... :p

(I think he was saying that it's always hard to read tone, such as sarcasm, from written text)

Edouble
11-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Ironically, the fact that you took offense to Jderf's post kind of reinforces its truth... :p

(I think he was saying that it's always hard to read tone, such as sarcasm, from written text)

Well, his tone was crystal clear, and it was a condescending one. The sarcasm in the tweets was also clear, however, as I stated, I had trouble understanding the syntax, so I couldn't get to the semantics.

You thought it was a nice, friendly post then?

KenTankerous
11-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Well, his tone was crystal clear, and it was a condescending one. The sarcasm in the tweets was also clear, however, as I stated, I had trouble understanding the syntax, so I couldn't get to the semantics.

I found it condescending, sarcastic and acerbic.

And I lovedlovedloved every word of it. Lighten up, princess, this is a sports forum not your floating ovary support group.

And Nolan is going to be fine in Portland. He may not be getting the minutes but what he lacks in PT he is more than making up for in leadership and contributes big time with glue to keep the team a team. At least that is what my fan-friends in Portland say...

Zeb
11-17-2012, 02:14 AM

Sarcasm on a message board... the horror!

-jk
11-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Please dial it back a bit, folks.

-jk

sagegrouse
11-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I was waiting for this to be posted, but alas:

"Nolan's future is not in Portland."

sagegrouse

tommy
11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
In last night's Portland box score, Nolan's name is not listed at all, not even as a DNP. Thirteen other guys are listed. What does that mean? Did he get either hurt or D-leagued??

SCMatt33
11-17-2012, 11:56 AM
In last night's Portland box score, Nolan's name is not listed at all, not even as a DNP. Thirteen other guys are listed. What does that mean? Did he get either hurt or D-leagued??

It likely means that he didn't dress for the game. NBA rosters can have 15 players, but only 12 or 13 (I forget which) can be active for any game. Not sure if he was hurt or not, but I didn't hear anything about injury.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
It likely means that he didn't dress for the game. NBA rosters can have 15 players, but only 12 or 13 (I forget which) can be active for any game. Not sure if he was hurt or not, but I didn't hear anything about injury.

I really thought Nolan would have a nice stint in Portland as a back up. I never expected him to start but I thought his game would translate pretty well and he would get his shot, but apparently the staff up there in the Northwest thinks otherwise. I still do think Nolan will find his niche somewhere. I don't see him turning into Daniel Ewing. Also, is Elliot Williams still on the Blazers? I havent seen his name much either.

nmduke2001
11-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Also, is Elliot Williams still on the Blazers? I havent seen his name much either.

Elliot is out for the year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20155414/blazers-g-elliot-williams-tears-achilles-during-team-workout