PDA

View Full Version : "We don't make any money so we can't be fined."

Lord Ash
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
- the last line if K's response to Cal's (albeit misquoted) half time jab about charging.

Starts at 3:08. Note the discreet "look down". Be sure to enjoy Seth's face when Coach says it.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/11/14/video-duke-press-conference-after-win-over-uk/#

K is a funny, bad man:)

roywhite
11-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Loved it. Back atcha, Cal.

And don't you know the Duke players loved it, too. Coach has our back.

AtlBluRew
11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
DBR says most of the Twitter world is criticizing Cal for the comment. I must not have done the right search, because most of what I saw was supporting Cal and the comment.

I laughed when I heard the comment at halftime. You're in good shape if the opposing coach is whining. But I thought that Cal was an a** in his response to the Chronicle reporter: "You kids at Duke can take a joke, can't you? Geez." It was also cowardly, given that K had just left the room.

BD80
11-14-2012, 08:00 AM
"We don't make any money so we can't be fined."

... K is a funny, bad man:)

Did he really intend to imply that the KY kids could therefore be fined?

Or was he just taking a shot at the KY paradigm of being the the one year stopoff for kids heading to the NBA?

Channing
11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I think the point is you can infer whatever you want to infer from that statement ;)

bjornolf
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Or was he just taking a shot at the KY paradigm of being the the one year stopoff for kids heading to the NBA?

The woman misquoted Calipari and said that he had said that in the NBA they would have been fined instead of suspended like Cal said. I think K was just saying they aren't NBA players and aren't paid so they can't be fined for flopping. Now, others can certainly take that as a shot at Cal, but I'm sure that's K's story and he's stickin' to it. ;)

JasonEvans
11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't think K's comment was calculated enough for him to have really been implying that KY players are all about the Benjamins (both on their way to Kentucky and on their way to the NBA), but it sure is easy for the rest of us to draw that conclusion from it and smirk.

I am glad that Jim Calhoun has retired from basketball as now I can focus all my disgust on one guy instead of two. Calipari has no honor. There is nothing worse I can say about someone than that.

-Jason "did everyone hear Vitale talking about the special dorm the KY players live in? Regular students can't even get close to that place. The team is simply not part of the Kentucky student body in any way" Evans

BobbyFan
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM

I'd guess he was sarcastically making the simple reference to his players not being in the NBA. But because of the opponent being UK, it would up having funnier, unintended interpretations.

Matches
11-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Awesome. K wins.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
I am glad that Jim Calhoun has retired from basketball as now I can focus all my disgust on one guy instead of two. Calipari has no honor. There is nothing worse I can say about someone than that.

Roy Williams has no soul. He is the anti-Elvis.

But yeah, other than sham courses, he runs a clean program I guess.

Reisen
11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
DBR says most of the Twitter world is criticizing Cal for the comment. I must not have done the right search, because most of what I saw was supporting Cal and the comment.

I frequent other fan message boards (I have a grad degree from Georgetown and grew up a Zona fan). While maybe a few knuckledraggers might have liked the dig at Duke, the response I mostly saw was something to the effect of "I wouldn't want our coach complaining like that during a halftime interview".

Calimari can cheat all he wants, and is obviously a good recruiter, but that doesn't make him a good coach.

Bob Green
11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Calimari can cheat all he wants, and is obviously a good recruiter, but that doesn't make him a good coach.

I believe Coach Calipari is a great recruiter and a good basketball coach. It is his character which is in question. He is not a person I would want to see coaching one of my grandsons.

Lord Ash
11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Judging by the way K looked down when he said it (the only moment of the interview he did) and by his pretty sharp tongue and wit (and by Seth's reaction) I would guess that K knew exactly what he was saying. But who knows, right?:)

LetItBD08
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
-Jason "did everyone hear Vitale talking about the special dorm the KY players live in? Regular students can't even get close to that place. The team is simply not part of the Kentucky student body in any way" Evans

Not too shabby.

http://www.coachcal.com/16170/2012/09/no-place-like-home-uks-new-gold-standard-in-housing/

77devil
11-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Not too shabby.

http://www.coachcal.com/16170/2012/09/no-place-like-home-uks-new-gold-standard-in-housing/

I was particularly impressed with the state of the art study hall.

gwwilburn
11-14-2012, 11:52 AM
For someone who is constantly defending himself for working inside the rules and following the letter of the law, Cal really comes across as a pot calling a kettle black.

Kdogg
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM

The NCAA prohibits 100% athletic dorms. Officially the Wildcat Coal Lodge has to have 50% regualr students but I'm guessing they are hand picked.

DukeSean
11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
The NCAA prohibits 100% athletic dorms. Officially the Wildcat Coal Lodge has to have 50% regualr students but I'm guessing they are hand picked.

They probably handpick the "tutors" to live in the Coal Lodge

cspan37421
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Not too shabby.

A few thoughts:

Man, does he talk to everyone like they are 9 years old?

I also noted how he kept having to remind himself that he was talking about Kentucky [regarding the space for another NCAA trophy: "They've got a space for another one. I don't know why they do that. I guess they try to hint about that, here, at the University of Kentucky"] ... as if he himself wasn't the epicenter of the program. I got the feeling he keeps one eye on the exit door.

Funny how he talked at the end about the "New Gold Standard" - read motivational books, much, Coach?

Reisen
11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I believe Coach Calipari is a great recruiter and a good basketball coach. It is his character which is in question. He is not a person I would want to see coaching one of my grandsons.

I think that's a common belief, and I think most agree he is an excellent recruiter, but how great a coach is he really? I think people forget PayPal Cal has been coaching for going on 25 years now. 3 of those were in the NBA, where he had a losing record, and was fired. But even our own Coach K hasn't been coaching that much longer. So what does Cal have to show for it?

13 Tournament Appearances
4 Final Fours
1 National Championship

I don't think we need to compare that to Coach K, as we're all pretty aware of his accomplishments. How about a few other notable coaches:

Tom Izzo, Head Coach since 1995:

15 Tournament Appearances
5 Final Fours
1 National Championship

Roy Williams, Head Coach since 1988:

22 Tournament Appearances (all but two, one of which was ineligible)
7 Final Fours
2 National Championships

Jim Boeheim, Head Coach since 1976 (so has a lot more games under his belt):

29 Tournament Appearances
3 Final Fours
1 National Championship

Billy Donovan, Head Coach since 1994:

12 Tournament Appearances
3 Final Fours
2 National Championships

Basically, Calimari has had recent success, but even with two very successful back-to-back years, he's not in the top tier of coaches. I suppose that's why you said "great recruiter, good coach", but I think he's overhyped for what he's actually done.

captmojo
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Heat of the moment, heading off to the locker room, halftime quick questions for the coach on his way, Calipari's response is a shining example of what can happen on camera and also why you never see K allow himself to get caught in traps like that.
His associates take these questions, but I wish it would be that even they would shun them off.

77devil
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Basically, Calimari has had recent success, but even with two very successful back-to-back years, he's not in the top tier of coaches. I suppose that's why you said "great recruiter, good coach", but I think he's overhyped for what he's actually done.

Our present day A.D.D. media culture rarely has a sense of history or other perspective. Cal receives the attention because it's UK; his recruiting model is unprecedented and successful(thus far); they play a fast paced, athletic style made for Sports Center highlight reels; and not the least because he is bombastic and all but flouts the NCAA rule book in public.

The media covers human suffering and disasters because it generates bigger ratings. Part of the Calipari over hype is to build him up in order to make the inevitable scandal that much more spectacular.

DU82
11-14-2012, 02:17 PM

I thought a bit about this a little more. If I'm seven foot tall, I'd like to be in a dorm/ house designed for me, instead of a person of average height. I'm six foot tall, and hate hotel showers which are too low for me. I think being in a situation where the water hits my belly button.

stickdog
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Judging by the way K looked down when he said it (the only moment of the interview he did) and by his pretty sharp tongue and wit (and by Seth's reaction) I would guess that K knew exactly what he was saying. But who knows, right?:)

"Come on, you guys, can Kentucky take a joke? Geez."

Kedsy
11-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I think that's a common belief, and I think most agree he is an excellent recruiter, but how great a coach is he really? I think people forget PayPal Cal has been coaching for going on 25 years now. 3 of those were in the NBA, where he had a losing record, and was fired. But even our own Coach K hasn't been coaching that much longer. So what does Cal have to show for it?

13 Tournament Appearances
4 Final Fours
1 National Championship

I don't think we need to compare that to Coach K, as we're all pretty aware of his accomplishments. How about a few other notable coaches:

Tom Izzo, Head Coach since 1995:

15 Tournament Appearances
5 Final Fours
1 National Championship

Roy Williams, Head Coach since 1988:

22 Tournament Appearances (all but two, one of which was ineligible)
7 Final Fours
2 National Championships

Jim Boeheim, Head Coach since 1976 (so has a lot more games under his belt):

29 Tournament Appearances
3 Final Fours
1 National Championship

Billy Donovan, Head Coach since 1994:

12 Tournament Appearances
3 Final Fours
2 National Championships

I don't know, looking at your numbers Calipari seems to stack up pretty well with these other coaching legends. If you look a little deeper, he stacks up even better.

As you did, I'll put K aside. First, it's true Cal made the NCAA tournament only 65% of his years in college coaching while Roy did 92%, Izzo 88%, Boeheim 81% and Donovan 67%, but I think you have to take into account that Cal coached 17 of his 20 years in mid-major conferences while Roy, Izzo, and Boeheim spent their entire careers in the Big 12, ACC, Big 10, and Big East. Of your group, only Donovan spent any time coaching a mid-major, and that was only two years at Marshall, AND his percentage is basically the same as Cal's.

Cal made the Final Four (not taking the fact that two of them were stripped into account) 20% of his years in college coaching. That's about the same as Boeheim (19%) and Donovan (17%), and worse but not too far from Roy (32%) and Izzo (29%), especially again considering Cal spent 8 years at UMass and 9 years at Memphis, while Roy was coaching at historic powers Kansas and UNC and Izzo roamed the sidelines at Michigan State. Cal's percentage of champions (5%) is about the same as Izzo (6%) and Boeheim (3%). Roy (8%) and Donovan (11%) are better, but we're still only talking about 2 vs 1, and Donovan's two were back-to-back with the same group of players.

I'm not sure why you don't include Bill Self in your list of great current college coaches, but his career is a closer analog to Calipari's, because he spent his first 7 seasons coaching at Oral Roberts and Tulsa before moving on to Illinois and Kansas. He has more years at high major schools than Cal (12 to 3), but his four seasons at Oral Roberts perhaps skewed his NCAA chances perhaps a bit more than Cal's eight seasons at UMass (although not much). In any event, his numbers in 19 college seasons (Cal has coached 20, not "going on 25," as I believe his NBA seasons are irrelevant to this debate) are pretty similar to Cal's -- 14 NCAA appearances (74%); 2 Final Fours (11%), and one championship (5%). If anything you probably give Cal a slight edge.

I also note you left Calhoun out of it, although since he's no longer active I guess that's fine. He also spent 14 of his 40 seasons at Northeastern, and UConn was a basketball mess when he got there. In any event, his career percentages (55% NCAA appearances, 10% Final Fours, and 7.5% championships) really aren't any better than Cal's, except I guess for championships.

In conclusion, I think you're selling Cal's career achievements short. Certainly he's no Coach K, but who is? Taking into account that 85% of his seasons were spent coaching mid-majors, it's hard to say any of the other great current college coaches have significantly better achievements, with the possible exception of Roy.

Dukehky
11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I hate Calipari, I really do. He's not harmless like Ole Roy. Roy's gonna lose UNC some games occassionally. Calipari's not.

That being said, on top of his recruiting prowess at this point, I think he's a really good coach... Granted with the kind of talent he's been getting, he essentially just has to get them to buy into playing tough defense and rebounding and then designing a model of an offense to make sure they're not playing playground ball, but he does those things extremely effectively. His teams really do get better as the year progresses, except at FT's, HEY DERRICK!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Calipari is a very good coach and a very good recruiter. I don't think there is much real question about that. Whether he has good character is a matter of legitimate debate.

Bottom line, though -- we got the guy we want, UKy has the guy they want. Whatever that says, that says.

diveonthefloor
11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

K is the king of the triple entendre.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Perhaps it was a comment on the duality of man.

Pam
11-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Priceless. :)

- the last line if K's response to Cal's (albeit misquoted) half time jab about charging.

Starts at 3:08. Note the discreet "look down". Be sure to enjoy Seth's face when Coach says it.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/11/14/video-duke-press-conference-after-win-over-uk/#

K is a funny, bad man:)

75Crazie
11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Both Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption today mentioned the ACC as a known flopper's conference. I don't know that it has ever struck me that ACC teams try to sell charges any more than a lot of other conferences. Were they blowing smoke, or is this a perceived attribute of our conference?

uh_no
11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Both Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption today mentioned the ACC as a known flopper's conference. I don't know that it has ever struck me that ACC teams try to sell charges any more than a lot of other conferences. Were they blowing smoke, or is this a perceived attribute of our conference?

if it gives a better chance to win ball games, i don't care if president obama called us a bunch of floppers....i call the other teams stupid for not exploiting every legal advantage to win the ballgame.

Pam
11-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I know that everyone here knows that there is BIG distinction between flopping (falling down when there has been no contact) and a player positioning himself to take a charge. Duke is, and has always been, very good at the latter. Sometimes the contact is really not sufficient to cause the player to fall down, but it sure helps sell the call. The ACC is better at it than many conferences and probably learned it from Duke. :) All's fair in love and basketball.

MarkD83
11-14-2012, 07:40 PM
What frustrates me about the whole topic of flopping is that no one seems to mention that it is a risky play.

If a player falls down without any contact and the ref does not call a charge then the offensive player should have a clear advantage. If an offensive player can't get off a shot with their defender on the ground that is pitiful.

If the ref does call it a charge when there is no contact the person to blame is the ref not the player. So the NBA should be fining and suspending the refs for incorrectly calling a charge when no contact is made.

To add to my rant, if there is defensive flopping there should be offensive flopping. If a player blocks a shot and the offensive player flails their arms as if thery are fouled or when someone takes a jump shot and then falls to the ground when a defender runs by aren't these also instances of trying to fool a ref. (rant over).

elvis14
11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Roy Williams has no soul. He is the anti-Elvis.

But yeah, other than sham courses, he runs a clean program I guess.

I just wanted to agree with OldPhiKap, 'Ol Roy is the anti-Elvis!

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
I just wanted to agree with OldPhiKap, 'Ol Roy is the anti-Elvis!

And Mojo Nixon thought that only Michael J. Fox had no Elvis in him. (Before MJF got sick, I hope Mojo has reconsidered)

WiJoe
11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Not sure why anyone would think around the horn or pardon the interruption has any credibility whatsoever. One has five blockheads (including the 'moderator'), the other, two. Those shows almost make wheat sound goo ... wait, that's impossible.

boom!

:cool:

Kimist
11-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I know that everyone here knows that there is BIG distinction between flopping (falling down when there has been no contact) and a player positioning himself to take a charge. Duke is, and has always been, very good at the latter. Sometimes the contact is really not sufficient to cause the player to fall down, but it sure helps sell the call. The ACC is better at it than many conferences and probably learned it from Duke. :) All's fair in love and basketball.

You mean like this play??

k

BD80
11-15-2012, 05:16 AM
You mean like this play??

k

To be fair, that photo was taken at the open end of the dean dome, where the winds are known to kick up ...

Indoor66
11-15-2012, 08:24 AM
To be fair, that photo was taken at the open end of the dean dome, where the winds are known to kick up ...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have been to many games at the dean dome and there is always hot air blowing from all directions.

Jderf
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Yep. Those winds are actually one of the few sounds you can hear in the otherwise quiet Dean Dome.

JNort
11-15-2012, 06:58 PM
I know that everyone here knows that there is BIG distinction between flopping (falling down when there has been no contact)

Flopping also extends to over exaggerating contact and that is what most people are referring to.

blueduke59
11-15-2012, 10:05 PM
You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiq3qvQmxo

Duvall
08-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Coming soon to the Old North State. (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article30436692.html)

N.C. State University plans to build a “boutique” dormitory for men’s and women’s basketball players, a project privately funded by the Wolfpack Club sports booster organization.

The 62-bed facility, to be named Case Commons Residence Hall, will be inhabited by athletes and other students. Since 1996, NCAA rules have specified that residence halls have to be occupied by at least 51 percent non-athletes. The change represented an attempt to do away with special perks in athletic dorms that were not available to other students.

NCSU Chancellor Randy Woodson said he would not have approved of the project if it had affected student fees. He emphasized that the building is entirely financed by private donations through the Wolfpack Club.

The booster club agreed to sponsor the project to improve academic success, Woodson said.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.

gep
08-08-2015, 12:33 AM
So how did/does Kentucky get away with their basketball dorm given the NCAA rule on dorms having at least 51% non-athletes... :confused::confused:

Edouble
08-08-2015, 01:08 AM
So how did/does Kentucky get away with their basketball dorm given the NCAA rule on dorms having at least 51% non-athletes... :confused::confused:

Student managers live in the closets.