PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Kentucky (Nov 14, 2012)

JBDuke
11-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 75-68 win over Kentucky?

Dukehky
11-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Ryan's absolute blanketing of Wiltjer along with timely shot making puts him over the top for me.

sporthenry
11-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Ryan's absolute blanketing of Wiltjer along with timely shot making puts him over the top for me.

Ryan did have that great stretch in the first half but those ill-advised shots took him down a peg. I didn't vote for Mason/Curry b/c they did what I expected them to do.

I thought it came down to Sheed/Hairston. I think Sheed had the better game and did more but Hairston provided those big baskets and was just in the right position at the right time.

But I think it is a great sign for Duke that we'll have 4-5 guys who could be MOM.

NSDukeFan
11-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I thought Mason had his best offensive game. He was a monster inside against a tough interior. Did he block one dunk or more than that defensively, as well? Great job, Seth, who was very composed throughout, I loved the way Rasheed was playing even when he wasn't scoring early, great hustle Josh, but Mason is my MOTM.

KenTankerous
11-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I voted for Seth because he looked like he was having the most fun! And isn't that the point, really?

superdave
11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I thought about throwing Josh a vote for his energy, or Seth for making so many shots, but went with Rasheed. His D set the tone for us and he was at the heart of our run that put us ahead to stay.

pamtar
11-14-2012, 12:08 AM
No votes for Rasheed? The kid hit two huge threes while Mason was on the the bench, made some great passes, and played great D. Plus, he's the most Duke you can be since Nolan. I was completely impressed by his performance. BTW, Curry and Mase have improved tremendously. Almost wanna give MOTM to Curry, but I can't overlook a freshman pretty much setting the tone from the first play and backing it up all game.

sporthenry
11-14-2012, 12:16 AM
No votes for Rasheed? The kid hit two huge threes while Mason was on the the bench, made some great passes, and played great D. Plus, he's the most Duke you can be since Nolan. I was completely impressed by his performance. BTW, Curry and Mase have improved tremendously. Almost wanna give MOTM to Curry, but I can't overlook a freshman pretty much setting the tone from the first play and backing it up all game.

Again, I think the fact the MOTM can go to so many is a great sign. I didn't give it to Rasheed either b/c I feel he'll have several MOMs so I think Josh deserves some recognition.

wilson
11-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Seth played the most complete game and displayed chutzpah that he never quite seemed to unleash last season. He easily earned my vote.

CameronBlue
11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Great games for Plum, Ryan particularly in the first half as he threw his own personal block party and of course Seth. But I voted for Hairston who is turing out to be one of those guys good teams have, who heed the call of duty, show up and do what it takes to win. What shows up in the box score rarely is a testament to their value. Hairston is Duke's glue guy.

greybeard
11-14-2012, 01:24 AM
I voted for Seth because he looked like he was having the most fun! And isn't that the point, really?

I knew that there was something about Curry's play that made it so impressive, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks, that was definitely it.

ChillinDuke
11-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I loved Seth tonight. Loved him.

But Mason put together one of the most memorable games I can recall in his career. Outplayed the #1 freshman big man in the country. Defense, offense. Foul trouble and all.

He's my MOTM.

magjayran
11-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Seth put some old man moves on those young boys. Drive, stop, pump fake, score without elevating, and smile about it. I loved it.

DevilWearsPrada
11-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Seth put some old man moves on those young boys. Drive, stop, pump fake, score without elevating, and smile about it. I loved it.

I absolutely agree with you; well said!!!! I love a great DUKE win, especially with a little CURRY on top to seal the WIN!!!

Great to see on ESPN, highlights of Seth shooting 3's and pump fake and driving to the basket!!! Loved Coach K's comments on Seth battling through a shin injury and putting up 23 points!!!!

SETH is RELENTLESS!!!! A True Senior Leader!!! SETH, got my vote!

GO DUKE!!!

NSDukeFan
11-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Maybe he has been watching Uncle Drew.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Maybe he has been watching Uncle Drew.

"Seth scores buckets"

brumby041
11-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Thought that Mason and Seth had outstanding games. Ryan and Sheed did as well, if slightly less. But voted for Hairston because of his "glue" efforts, especially when Mason was forced to sit with foul trouble.

Not taking anything away from several players that had bigger impact in the box score, but Josh gets my "game ball".

Flyers52
11-14-2012, 08:45 AM
MOTM has to go to Josh. Curry, Kelly, Plumlee did what we expect them to do. With Mase in foul trouble, Josh came in and had to spell Nerlens, which he did very well. Josh's energy & stonewalledness made things somewhat difficult for Noel down low. His tip ins around the basket were key too.

CDu
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
MOTM has to go to Josh. Curry, Kelly, Plumlee did what we expect them to do. With Mase in foul trouble, Josh came in and had to spell Nerlens, which he did very well. Josh's energy & stonewalledness made things somewhat difficult for Noel down low. His tip ins around the basket were key too.

Picking Hairston is fine, but I think it's a bit unfair to expect Curry to go for 23 points on 50% shooting (60% from 3 point range). Just saying.

COYS
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I went with Seth. Coming off an injury without even practicing and putting up 23 huge points against a talented opponent is nothing short of awesome. But there were a lot of great performances. If Rasheed had connected on a few more shots and gotten into the mid-teens for scoring, he would've won MOTM based on his stat-sheet stuffing line of points plus 5 assists and 6 rebounds. His playmaking kept the offense afloat in the first half when we were struggling to find a rhythm.

Josh deserves major props for his gutsy performance. However, Ryan may have just played the best defensive game of his life. He took Witjer out of the game . . . so much so that Cal even sat him for large stretches in the second. He also had some really nice blocks. Witjer had the potential to really hurt Duke by knocking down threes. He only got one. He actually only attempted 5 shots. For a guy who could very well end up being UK's leading scorer, that was a really poor offensive showing and it was mostly due to Ryan.

Also, Mason had a big, big game. How is it possible he only got three rebounds? Seems unbelievable considering we won the battle on the boards. I will say, however, that he still needs to cut down his turnovers and made some bad fouls. That keeps him from winning MOTM.

Finally, TEAM DEFENSE isn't an option for MOTM, but was probably the most encouraging performance, last night. This is exactly the type of team that would have torn us apart, last season. Big guards and big wings all capable of driving and scoring or driving and dishing combined with a floor spacing forward who can help open up driving lanes was a recipe for disaster last season. Not so much, this time around.

mattmcbreen
11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I went with Seth because he hit some clutch shots down the stretch, which for me way a little unexpected. I wasn't sure how he was going to be against good competition with that leg injury. However, he proved that he's not going to let that leg show him down. That pump fake to get Nerlens in the air at the end of the game was one of the best I've seen in a while

NSDukeFan
11-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I went with Seth because he hit some clutch shots down the stretch, which for me way a little unexpected. I wasn't sure how he was going to be against good competition with that leg injury. However, he proved that he's not going to let that leg show him down. That pump fake to get Nerlens in the air at the end of the game was one of the best I've seen in a while

I'm still trying to figure out how he pulled that one off. Great, winning play. The greatest trick that devil ever pulled was getting perhaps the best shot-blocker in the country in the air for a shot that didn't exist.

SupaDave
11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I thought about throwing Josh a vote for his energy, or Seth for making so many shots, but went with Rasheed. His D set the tone for us and he was at the heart of our run that put us ahead to stay.

Being there, Rasheed was certainly impressive. Most importantly - he hits the open shot which bodes well for his future.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he pulled that one off. Great, winning play. The greatest trick that devil ever pulled was getting perhaps the best shot-blocker in the country in the air for a shot that didn't exist.

Seth Currykoze?

NSDukeFan
11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Seth Currykoze?

Curry Sose?

OldPhiKap
11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Curry Sose?

He ain't orca fat. That's for sure.