PDA

View Full Version : soundtrack expanded

captmojo
08-11-2007, 04:06 PM
If this has been done before, I apologize in advance.

The question--If stranded on a desert island with power supply and a suitable media playing device, which would be the only two music albums you could not feel you could go on without?

1) Allman Brothers Band-"Live at the Fillmore East"

2) The Beatles-"Rubber Soul"

mapei
08-11-2007, 07:50 PM
OK, this is my quick, instantaneous answer. I reserve the right to modify it upon thought and consideration:

1. Van Morrison - A Night in San Francisco (1995), chosen because it's a double, and also perhaps the best live album I've ever heard (with apologies to the Allmans)

2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1967?) - a perfect record.

merry
08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Why two and not one, or five, or ten? Since double albums are apparently allowed, what about boxed sets?

OK just kidding. This would be a tough choice whether it was two or ten.

dukemomLA
08-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Okay....only two....what agony

Bonnie Raitt -- Nick of Time
Beatles -- Revolver

Come on....PLEASE let us list more than two!

accfanfrom1970
08-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Springsteen - Born to Run
agree with Pet Sounds, Beach Boys

micah75
08-12-2007, 04:26 AM
1) Slim Whitman --- Una Paloma Blanca: The Best of Slim Whitman

2) Engelbert Humperdinck ---- Release Me

Can we throw in a 45 along with the 2 albums? If so, I would go with "Nowhere Man" by The Beatles.

Trivia: In 1967, Engelbert Humperdinck's rendition of "Release Me" kept The Beatles' "Penny Lane" from reaching the coveted #1 slot in the U.K.

captmojo
08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Okay....only two....what agony

Bonnie Raitt -- Nick of Time
Beatles -- Revolver

Come on....PLEASE let us list more than two!

Go to five or more if you want.

mapei
08-12-2007, 09:58 PM
3. Van Morrison - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher
4. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
5. U2 - The Joshua Tree

hc5duke
08-13-2007, 02:31 AM
1. The Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Obscured by Clouds
4. "Best of"* Led Zeppelin
5. "Best of"* Lynyrd Skynyrd

* If "best of" is cheating, I'll go with Physical Graffiti and and Second Helping

wilson
08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
1. The Band--The Last Waltz (four disc if it's allowed, two will do if not)
2. The Beatles--Sgt. Pepper (probably not actually their best, just my favorite)
3. The Allman Brothers--Live at the Fillmore East
4. The Grateful Dead--Europe '72
5. Emmylou Harris and the Nash Ramblers--At the Ryman Auditorium [Nashville, TN]

A few people have mentioned Emmylou around here in recent days. If you like her and you don't have album #5 on this list, go buy it, like, yesterday. Seriously. NOW.

mapei
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Great choices. #4 is definitely my favorite GD album. For inexplicable reasons, I never became a Beatles fan, but love all your others.

wilson
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
For inexplicable reasons, I never became a Beatles fan, but love all your others.

Do me a favor...Buy Abbey Road. Listen to it three times in a week. Then tell me you aren't a Beatles fan.
I bet you can't do it.

captmojo
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Do me a favor...Buy Abbey Road. Listen to it three times in a week. Then tell me you aren't a Beatles fan.
I bet you can't do it.

I had to select "Rubber Soul" for nostalgic reasons and I limited myself to two.

captmojo
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I need to add the entire catalog of Tab Benoit.

TillyGalore
08-13-2007, 04:19 PM
1. Jimmy Buffet's Feeding Frenzy.
2. Boston's Third Stage

Jimmy is just so laid back and if I'm going to be on an island I want Jimmy.

My sophmore year in college I listened to Third Stage over and over and over again and again and again. I don't know what it is about that album that I enjoy so much. Perhaps it was a bridge from my youth to adulthood. Or maybe it reminds me of college and all the fun I had.

EarlJam
08-13-2007, 04:22 PM
1. Jimmy Buffet's Feeding Frenzy.
2. Boston's Third Stage

Jimmy is just so laid back and if I'm going to be on an island I want Jimmy.

My sophmore year in college I listened to Third Stage over and over and over again and again and again. I don't know what it is about that album that I enjoy so much. Perhaps it was a bridge from my youth to adulthood. Or maybe it reminds me of college and all the fun I had.

I loved the first three Boston albums, including Third Stage. "Cool the Engines" is a great get-fired-up song. Sad about Delp dying last year. Dude had some pipes.

-EarlJam

TillyGalore
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I loved the first three Boston albums, including Third Stage. "Cool the Engines" is a great get-fired-up song. Sad about Delp dying last year. Dude had some pipes.

-EarlJam

I'm feeling a big crying session due in the very near future. Will probably pull out Third Stage to help me through.

dukemomLA
08-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Since I've been 'given permission' by the host of this thread to list more than my original two, here's the following:

Elton John -- greatest hits
Vivaldi -- four seasons
James Taylor -- Sweet Baby James
Joe http://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comer -- One Night of Sin
Lyle Lovett -- with his Big Band
Mozart Sonatas
Neville Brothers -- Yellow Moon
Bodeans -- Home

And, again, sooooo many more.

Karl Beem
08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Emmylou Harris - Bluebird
The DUMB CD

mapei
08-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I bet you can't do it.

That is certainly the best of the bunch IMO! I don't DISlike them, BTW - they just never became a favorite. Cheers.

g_olaf
08-14-2007, 12:13 PM
1. Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection
2. The Band, The Last Waltz (has to be box set version for 'Acadian Driftwood')
3. Derek and the Dominoes, Layla et al.
4. Joao Gilberto, Amoroso/Brasil (OK, that's two albums on one CD)
5. David Crosby, If I Could Only Remember My Name (new version, with the Crosby/Garcia 'Kids and Dogs' as a bonus track)

What??? No Fleetwood Mac?

mapei
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Nice choices! With TLW, you also get Van & the Band doing "Tura-Lura-Lura," into "Caravan." Great stuff.

hurleyfor3
08-14-2007, 06:27 PM
For all N < 10 I'd just pick Beethoven symphonies. If I had to pick two they'd probably be the Seventh and Eighth.