PDA

View Full Version : College Gameday: Basketball

Dukehky
11-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, or if this was common knowledge, but Jalen Rose replaced Hubert Davis on College Basketball Live/Gameday...

Are you serious? Digger drags this show down enough as it is, Jalen Rose is a horrendous analyst, absolutely awful. Digger can't complete sentences anymore, and Jalen Rose makes terrible jokes and references. What did Jay Bilas do to deserve this? You could make a very valid argument that he is the best analyst for his particular sport on any network, and you surround him with this nonsense? I liked Hubert, i thought their interaction was fantastic and loved the way they teamed up on Digger. Gah, I hate Jalen Rose.

Dev11
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, or if this was common knowledge, but Jalen Rose replaced Hubert Davis on College Basketball Live/Gameday...

Are you serious? Digger drags this show down enough as it is, Jalen Rose is a horrendous analyst, absolutely awful. Digger can't complete sentences anymore, and Jalen Rose makes terrible jokes and references. What did Jay Bilas do to deserve this? You could make a very valid argument that he is the best analyst for his particular sport on any network, and you surround him with this nonsense? I liked Hubert, i thought their interaction was fantastic and loved the way they teamed up on Digger. Gah, I hate Jalen Rose.

He may not be really popular with the Duke crowd, but Jalen has found himself all over ESPN's basketball coverage this year. He's a regular contributor on Grantland with a podcast, he is an analyst for their NBA program with Simmons and Magic, and he's on Gameday. Dude has to watch a ton of basketball.

DukeHLM'13
11-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Its really interesting that Rose's career at ESPN seems to have really taken off since the 30 for 30 film on the Fab Five. I thought this film really showcased 2 things about Jalen Rose...

1) He is pretty ignorant and struggles to speak intellegently
2) He really hates Duke

I guess this just proves that hating Duke can get you pretty far in the world...

slower
11-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Apparently, Rose has street cred.

dynastydefender
11-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Digger has no authority with the Wildcats either. Good luck tonight Dukies. Looking forward to a great game. Always like the blue bloods playing each other. Carolina Sucks.

Bob Green
11-13-2012, 01:41 PM
1) He is pretty ignorant and struggles to speak intellegently

Hmmm........

savekyriestoe
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Look, I know this is inherently subjective, but as a sports-media personality, Jalen Rose is incredible. To me, arguing otherwise seems to suggest sour grapes over the Fab Five documentary. You guys, I love that '92 team and I love Grant Hill's New York Times response to the documentary, but almost everything Jalen Rose touches as of late is high quality and that includes the aforementioned documentary. Have you watched his Grantland videos (http://youtube.com/grantland)?

I love Jalen Rose. LOOOOOOVE. Am I crazy?

Dukehky
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Look, I know this is inherently subjective, but as a sports-media personality, Jalen Rose is incredible. To me, arguing otherwise seems to suggest sour grapes over the Fab Five documentary. You guys, I love that '92 team and I love Grant Hill's New York Times response to the documentary, but almost everything Jalen Rose touches as of late is high quality and that includes the aforementioned documentary. Have you watched his Grantland videos (http://youtube.com/grantland)?

I personally don't care about what he said in the documentary when it comes to my view of him as an analyst. I understood where he was coming from, and even though I don't agree with it, I get it. Most importantly, his comments started a debate, particularly about race, and those debates are beneficial not only to college athletics, but also to our society in general.

My problem with Jalen as an analyst stems from my belief that he just isn't very good. He tries tooo hard to be both funny and clever, and it rarely works for him. Granted, he is probably better across from Bill Simmons, because that's more of a talk-radio, personality based thing than as a straight up analyst. I just don't think he's good, agree to disagree I guess. Especially compared to Hubert Davis who I thought was great.

slower
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
My problem with Jalen as an analyst stems from my belief that he just isn't very good. He tries tooo hard to be both funny and clever, and it rarely works for him. Granted, he is probably better across from Bill Simmons, because that's more of a talk-radio, personality based thing than as a straight up analyst. I just don't think he's good, agree to disagree I guess. Especially compared to Hubert Davis who I thought was great.

I guess I'm just jaded. After years of watching Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy on NBA broadcasts, and Bob Knight on NCAA games, almost everybody else is a disappointment. Seems to me that Jalen Rose is a personality, by virtue of being "controversial" and having played for The Fab Five and in the pros. He's not overly impressive (to me) as an analyst.

Billy Dat
11-13-2012, 03:22 PM

I, too, am a Jalen fan. I listen to the weekly Grantland podcast where he comments on whatever sport is being played at the time, but mostly pro and college basketball, pro and college football, and baseball. He has actually been building a media career for a long time and I find him to be both entertaining and smart. He does weave hip hop and R&B lyrics into his commentary, but I find that stuff funny. Coming from pretty humble beginnings, I think he's done a lot for himself and for other people...including opening a charter school in Detroit...http://www.jrladetroit.com/

I know he said a lot of outlandish stuff to push his Fab 5 documentary, but I chalk that up to showbiz.

Turtleboy
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Hmmm........
Because speaking and spelling are exactly the same thing.

basket1544
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Loving Jalen would be far too strong. I'm not even sure if I enjoy his podcasts because I find myself muttering to myself, "You just don't get it Jalen." However, I do keep listening to them, so I'd say he is effective at what he does.
I think ESPN tries to balance out the cast of College Gameday. Football's college gameday also has an elder coach and two younger former players. I think they were looking for someone to fill Hubert's shoes that would be similar to him. I'm glad they aren't replacing him with Fran Frascilla (I may be saying that because I've heard him do two games today).

brevity
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Because speaking and spelling are exactly the same thing.

They most certainly are not the same thing, but they have been combined into one instrument:

It's intelligent, elegant, and gentle. "Intellegently" designed, if you will.

JNort
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Hubert Davis was just horrendous when it came to being an analyst and Jalen (Love him or hate him) knows his basketball and knows it well. He may be annoying and tries to hard but he is very smart.

No we just need to replace Digger

mattmcbreen
11-14-2012, 12:59 PM
As easy as it is to hate Jalen, I think he's an upgrade over Hubert. Dude said some pretty dumb stuff over the years. Jalen knows his stuff, and he really increases the basketball knowledge of the show with Bilas. Digger doesn't really say anything of value anymore

wilson
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Digger doesn't really say anything of value anymoreBut what would we do without his sweet highlighter stylings?

Jderf
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
As easy as it is to hate Jalen, I think he's an upgrade over Hubert. Dude said some pretty dumb stuff over the years.

I never had a problem with Hubert, but I will always remember that he predicted a comfortable UNC victory before the 82-50 game, contrary to the otherwise unanimous panel. Hilarious.

Dukehky
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I never had a problem with Hubert, but I will always remember that he predicted a comfortable UNC victory before the 82-50 game, contrary to the otherwise unanimous panel. Hilarious.

Apparently he was given the asst job at Carolina because he's the heir apparent... Hope so.

mkline09
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Hubert Davis was just horrendous when it came to being an analyst and Jalen (Love him or hate him) knows his basketball and knows it well. He may be annoying and tries to hard but he is very smart.

No we just need to replace Digger

Digger actually said more positive things about Duke last night than in his entire life prior.

hurleyfor3
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Digger can't complete sentences anymore

You imply that is some sort of recent development. If people still diagrammed sentences, Digger's constructions would be PhD-thesis level.

sagegrouse
11-14-2012, 02:48 PM

I think Hubert Davis is an all-around good guy. I didn't mind his commentary. And you do remember that at halftime of the 82-50 blowout, he threw his predictions into the air and let them scatter in the wind.

sagegrouse

dukejim1
11-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I didn't watch halftime last night, did Bobby Knight have any role? KY fans were saying he was going to be there.

94duke
11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I didn't watch halftime last night, did Bobby Knight have any role? KY fans were saying he was going to be there.

Bobby Knight and Jay Bilas did the first game. Dick Vitale did ours.
Hmm. I guess Vitale talks enough for two people.... :p