PDA

View Full Version : FB: Georgia Tech 42, Duke 24

Reilly
11-11-2012, 09:50 AM
At about 3 pm Saturday, Duke will officially be bowling, as Maryland will lose to FSU, joining bowl-ineligibles BC and UNC, and the VT/UVA loser the final week will be ineligible (and perhaps UVA or VT will have picked up their 7th loss before we kick-off Saturday at 3:30 anyway ...)

Thursday, November 15
North Carolina at Virginia, ESPN, 7:30 p.m. #UNCvsUVA

Saturday, November 17
Florida State at Maryland, Noon on ESPNU #FSUvsMD
Virginia Tech at Boston College, 12:30 pm on ACC Network #VTvsBC
USF at Miami, 3pm on RSN #USFvsMIA
NC State at Clemson, 3:30 pm on ABC (ESPN2 mirror) #NCSUvsCLEM
Duke at Georgia Tech, 3:30 pm on ESPNU #DUKEvsGT
Wake Forest at Notre Dame, NBC, 3:30 p.m. #WAKEvsND

Dev11
11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
We need this game for the Coastal. Hope the defense is ready for the GT attack.

Lunchab1es
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
After watching UNC get scored on at will by GT, even after having an off week to prepare, I am less confident (but still optimistic) about Duke's chances. I had thought the bye-week would give us a big advantage in preparation but that didn't seem to help Cheaterhill much. Hopefully GT got all of their scoring for the rest of the season out of their system.:rolleyes:

uh_no
11-11-2012, 11:19 AM
After watching UNC get scored on at will by GT, even after having an off week to prepare, I am less confident (but still optimistic) about Duke's chances. I had thought the bye-week would give us a big advantage in preparation but that didn't seem to help Cheaterhill much. Hopefully GT got all of their scoring for the rest of the season out of their system.:rolleyes:

we didn't give up 68 points to stanford
we didn't give up 68 against VT
not against FSU or clemson

we didn't even give up 68 against alabama 2 years ago

and we're not going to give up 68 on saturday.

Wander
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM

On the other hand, GT gave up 50 points to Carolina.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Our guys have been preparing for playing against the GT offense since the first practices for this season. Coach Cutcliffe has said this at various times during the season. Most recently on his TV program, he outlined what the team would be doing during the 2 weeks between games..... there is a particular focus on bringing together all the previous work in the context of GT's performance in the last game.

As much as we have focused on the GT offense, there is a real possibility that our offense may have some great success against their defense. The game has the potential of being very high scoring.

Our guys will be as prepared as anyone can be. I believe they will play to win.

Lunchab1es
11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
we didn't give up 68 points to stanford
we didn't give up 68 against VT
not against FSU or clemson

we didn't even give up 68 against alabama 2 years ago

and we're not going to give up 68 on saturday.

I like this train of thought ;)

It was definitely an outlier of a game (for both teams) which makes it hard to gain any meaningful data. However, GT is averaging 38 points an outing, and UNC only allows 25.7, so who knows. My concern about the bye-week not being as big of an advantage is still there, but I hope it is unfounded. I think this game is winnable but we will need to do a much better job than UNC defensively, as GT does have an excellent offense. It also depends which GT team decides to show up.

budwom
11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
What's worrisome is that Tech displayed a pretty strong passing game, and our pass defense is simply not particularly good (except against really weak teams).
We're going to have to play VERY well to win.

And hopefully we have our major defensive guys healthy such as Byas, Braxton and Canty....Anunike, et al.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech looked really good yesterday. Hopefully the got it put of their system, and we catch them looking forward to the UGa game the next week. Doubt it, though -- they will be ready to go.

Tough game, but doable. LGD!

uh_no
11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Our guys have been preparing for playing against the GT offense since the first practices for this season. Coach Cutcliffe has said this at various times during the season. Most recently on his TV program, he outlined what the team would be doing during the 2 weeks between games..... there is a particular focus on bringing together all the previous work in the context of GT's performance in the last game.

As much as we have focused on the GT offense, there is a real possibility that our offense may have some great success against their defense. The game has the potential of being very high scoring.

Our guys will be as prepared as anyone can be. I believe they will play to win.

you PLAY to WIN the GAME! -Herm Edwards

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2012, 12:33 PM
you PLAY to WIN the GAME! -Herm Edwards

You wouldn't believe that if you listened to what some of the fans say!

Devil549
11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Big 2 weeks for Duke football I think we found out the following about our team:
1. Is the coaching staff as good as Coach Cut talks about?
2. Does our 5th year QB play like a 5th year QB who has started for 3 seasons?
3. We have the all time leading (in recptions & could end up in yardage) WR in Vernon will he step up with Crowder & Scott and become a 3 headed monster that GT and Miami cannot stop?
4. We have a very good kicker and punter they could be key if we win the next 2 games.
5. In AUG you want to play meaningful games in NOV, first time since 1994 that will be happening.... let's take advantage of it.
6. Our defense has played well at times can they play well for the next 8 quarters.
7. Yes Miami and GT are very good offensively but defensively we can score on them do we take advantage of this?
8. Has the program advanced enough to compete in games that are for the Coastal Division Championship?
9. If we beat GT we need to make sure that WW is full for the Duke/Miami game NOV 24!!!!
10. I love this program playing meaningful NOV football games I hope the DUKE team does as well and I know the entire DUKE fan base also enjoys where the program is right now.

GO DUKE!!!!!

-bdbd
11-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Their "defense" gave up fifty (50!!) points to the weak-arsed Kerlina offense. If their D plays as well again next week, we're looking at a record output but our Offense for the year! Looking forward to some spectacular Duke Offensive fireworks. No doubt but that the guys will be focused and prepared well for this one. Go Duke. I expect a Duke win here!

Go Duke!!!!!

chrishoke
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
1. Our offense
2. Red shirt freshman QB - turnovers

Gives me hope.

loran16
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Gt opened as an 11 point favorite. Seems right. Bet the over people

David
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Gt opened as an 11 point favorite. Seems right. Bet the over people

Line has moved, GT now favored by 13 and over/under is 67. I will take Duke +13 and the over. Easy money. :D

davekay1971
11-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Duke's offense is better than Carolina's. Renfree, Vernon, Crowder, Scott, and Blakeney, will need to carve up GT early, and then keep them off balance with the run.

Our defense is going to have their hands full. GT's offense is scary when they have a quarterback who can hit the bomb. They come at you with run, run, run, then suddenly get that one-on-one downfield. With an accurate quarterback, it's a nasty combination. I don't expect our defense to stop GT's offense...but if we can slow them down and have a positive turnover margin, we can win the game...because I don't expect their defense to stop our offense, either.

mkline09
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Duke's offense is better than Carolina's. Renfree, Vernon, Crowder, Scott, and Blakeney, will need to carve up GT early, and then keep them off balance with the run.

Our defense is going to have their hands full. GT's offense is scary when they have a quarterback who can hit the bomb. They come at you with run, run, run, then suddenly get that one-on-one downfield. With an accurate quarterback, it's a nasty combination. I don't expect our defense to stop GT's offense...but if we can slow them down and have a positive turnover margin, we can win the game...because I don't expect their defense to stop our offense, either.

You are right on the money. If Duke is to win this game they have to score and score early. Get a lead, build on that lead, get a couple stops and force GT to play from behind and rush, which they don't do well and that could open things up for turnovers. As much as I like Duke to get the ball first in the second half, I'm almost willing for them to concede the ball in the second half if they take it to start and get on the board.

Reilly
11-14-2012, 12:53 AM
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/980293.pdf?ATCLID=205736064&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

DukeSean
11-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Gonna be a shootout. I just hope we can stay one score ahead of them

davekay1971
11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
You're wrong, Heather Dinich! Ga Tech's sorry defense is the one that needs to be scared!

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc

This game is too important for the thread to slide to page 2. Win this one, and Wallace Wade Stadium will host a very suprising ACC Coastal Division Championship Game. Just win, baby!

-bdbd
11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
You're wrong, Heather Dinich! Ga Tech's sorry defense is the one that needs to be scared!

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc

This game is too important for the thread to slide to page 2. Win this one, and Wallace Wade Stadium will host a very suprising ACC Coastal Division Championship Game. Just win, baby!

The Dinich prediction is interesting. When was the last time that a national columnist was predicting Duke to score about 40 points vs an ACC foe who spent time this year among the top-25? One thing that I think a lot of folks are forgetting was that Duke has had two full weeks to prepare their D for this match-up, in addition to time spent this past Summer and Spring. That extra prep window couldn't have come at a better time. Am hoping the our guys can force some early turnovers. Get the crowd out of it. I was hoping GT woulda lost last week so they'd have less to play for, as this is their last realistic chance for bowl eligibility. I think Duke will really surprise folks on Saturday!

:eek:

Bob Green
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
In this AJC article,

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/16/tech-offense-seeking-more-vs-duke/

Coach Paul Johnson and QB Vad Lee say the offense could have played a lot better in the game against UNC.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
In this AJC article,

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/16/tech-offense-seeking-more-vs-duke/

Coach Paul Johnson and QB Vad Lee say the offense could have played a lot better in the game against UNC.

Easy for them to say that now! I suspect it's also part of the mind game some like to engage in prior to meeting on the field.

I'm still quite happy that Paul Johnson ended up at GA Tech and David Cutcliffe ended up at Duke.

mkline09
11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Duke can win this game but they have to control time of possession which means run the ball well. They should be able to score on that GT defense but it will be interesting to see if Duke's defense can force some punts or a few turnovers. If they can Duke's offense should be able to build a lead and that plays to their advantage. GT doesn't do well when playing from behind. That said Duke can't afford to go down more than a couple of scores and allow the Yellow Jackets to control the clock. Big game. I hope the rest payed off. The motivation should be there.

Wander
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Not that this is what's important, but Vernon will likely break the ACC all-time receiving yardage record in this game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Not that this is what's important, but Vernon will likely break the ACC all-time receiving yardage record in this game.

That possibility adds to the excitement!

Reilly
11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Go Duke. What helmet color today?

OldPhiKap
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Go get 'em Devils! Big Game Day!

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Let's go Duke!
We have faith in every player and coach.
Do your best today. Control your destiny.
Be true blue and good things will come to you!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
There will come a time when the unbelievers are shocked. May today be that day!

peloton
11-17-2012, 01:25 PM
It goes without saying that this game will be a real challenge for us...certainly not an unsurmountable challenge though. We need our defense to play with passion and intensity. Our offense needs to be efficient (especially on critical 1st and 3rd downs) and almost as important, we need to be creative with the play calling. Our players and coaches need to bring their 'A' game today. If our offensive line is effective in opening holes for our RBs and giving Sean and Co. adequate time to pass I believe we have a real shot at pulling off the big win in Atlanta. I have much admiration for Paul Johnson but I'd love nothing more than to see Coach Cutcliffe and his staff get the best of the Jackets. This would be a defining win for Cut and our program. We've been saying that for much of this season but it's been true in regard to so many of our games. Let's go Blue Devils! We haven't peaked yet...we've still got 2 games to play and win! Beat the Yellow Jackets!!

chrishoke
11-17-2012, 01:39 PM
We will not be denied.

killerleft
11-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Butterflies? Check! Biggest game of the year (so far)? Check!

Ga. Tech stands in the way, so our guys must find a way to make next week our biggest game of the year (so far). Our defensive line is as healthy as we've been in a long time. What a great game for Conner Vernon to bust the receiving yardage record wide open!!

Thirty minutes 'til kickoff!

Rip 'em up,
Tear 'em up,
Give 'em Hell, Duke!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
See that old Blue Devil smoke
Arising to the sky
There's something doing
There's vict'ry brewing
Don't you hear that battle cry:

Fight! Fight! Blue Devils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on thru
To the touchdowns there for you
(Go get 'em)
Duke is out to win today
Carolina goodnight!
So turn on the steam, team!
Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!

riverside6
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Live stats and play analysis for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2650

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Is there a live blog?

BTW BC just took the lead over VT.

DevilWearsPrada
11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't have ESPNu. And tried to watch it online, and its Blackout in the Durham area.

Does someone have a link for the Duke GaTech game? Thank you.

I have 620am radio on with Bob Harris!!! Lets Go Duke!!!!!

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Just one stop would be nice.

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Just got hosed on a TD call that was reviewed and upheld. Gotta score another TD.

dukejim1
11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
got to score here and use the clock, GT gets 2nd half kick

DownEastDevil
11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Tough break for Duke! He didn't make it but not enough evidence to reverse the call.

hudlow
11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Just got hosed on a TD call that was reviewed and upheld. Gotta score another TD.

Smelled the burgers from The Varsity on that one....

sagegrouse
11-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Totally dirty hit on Renfree. Way to ape Frank Beamer, Johnson!

sage

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 04:56 PM
50 yarder, well done Ross Martin, but we need TD's if we can't stop the GT offense.

Gotta eliminate penalties.

ETA Listening to game broadcast on Inside Access.

Come on D! Make a stop already!

ChrisP
11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Totally dirty hit on Renfree. Way to ape Frank Beamer, Johnson!

sage

I don't like Paul Johnson, either, but I don't think it's fair to blame him for that hit. I'm more angry at the refs who totally missed an obvious hit to the head call. How do you miss that when it's right in the middle of the field? :mad:

hudlow
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Terps going to Big 10?

TruBlu
11-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't like Paul Johnson, either, but I don't think it's fair to blame him for that hit. I'm more angry at the refs who totally missed an obvious hit to the head call. How do you miss that when it's right in the middle of the field? :mad:

Obviously the rule doesn't exist if you are wearing a Duke uniform.

Also, the last GT TD should have been overturned.

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech starts second half on offense.

We need strong special teams play, must prevent long pass out of the halftime break, and now that Butler is out for at least the game, who will step up on D?

Ross Cockrell has been moved from safety back to cornerback now apparently.

Reilly
11-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Tough break for Duke! He didn't make it but not enough evidence to reverse the call.

Isn't there a way with "sports science" to conclusively prove he didn't get in, based on the angle of the tv camera yada yada ... just show some dotted lines and arcs and overturn it ....

6th Man
11-17-2012, 05:21 PM
We need to force a turnover. If we could ever get a lead it could change how GT has to play. Especially if we could muster more than a 7 point lead.

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Ross almost makes a great play, instead it turns into a weird play. So close...

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
3rd and 6. Big play here.

nyesq83
11-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Just no stopping them WTF!

Aaaaand a TD pass. I've had enough.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Just no stopping them WTF!

Aaaaand a TD pass. I've had enough.

Don't leave!:eek: We've scored again.... it's not over until we say it is!:cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I have no idea how a team effectively defends against this option. But this infuriating to watch. We seem happy to hold them to 5-6 yards per play. Where is the aggression? We're just letting them control the game and do what they do. Hardly any backfield penetration all game. I just don't understand. Grrrrrr!

loran16
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
That punt should get someone fired. You've stopped them on 0 of 5 serious GT drives. You're down 2 scores. HOW CAN YOU PUNT EVER.

You're losing because you punted on the opening drive. Now you just punted again. Good luck seeing the ball again.

Wander
11-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't really agree about that, loran... it was 3rd and quite long.

However, THAT fake punt... was the worst call of the entire season. What the hell? Why go to the punt formation at all?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I would rather see Sean throw on 4th than a fake punt!

6th Man
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
The fake punt run fooled nobody...worst play call of the year!

DownEastDevil
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't really agree about that, loran... it was 3rd and quite long.

However, THAT fake punt... was the worst call of the entire season. What the hell? Why go to the punt formation at all?

If you are going for it, keep your QB in and throw it for 5 yards. Very bad call IMO!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
In hindsight we should never have punted all day. We should have gone for it every time. We might be ahead,instead we are now guaranteed a loss. Admittedly we had a couple of bad breaks. First we almost stopped them at the goal, then the tipped pass on a 4th down that a lineman catches and runs for the first.

nmduke2001
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
When you have a chance at the conference title, of course you leave it up to your punter to rush for five yards in an obvious fake situation.

killerleft
11-17-2012, 06:37 PM
The fake punt run fooled nobody...worst play call of the year!

Agreed. Love Cut. Mostly well-coached game today, but the fake punt was as bad a call as I've seen in a long time. Essentially asked the punter to run 15 yards against a defense that HOPED we would try something silly rather than run a regular play from our set offense. Major, major mistake - I'd be ashamed to face the players after flubbing a real chance to win a humongous game for us.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-17-2012, 06:37 PM
That about does it. GaTech getting savvy going for a TD on 4th down to put the game totally out of reach.

Glad Duke was competitive. At least we get a crack at Miami at home next week and we our season extends into next month.

Go Duke

Greg_Newton
11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Terrible. Not very happy right now. Awful showing by the defense, but the coaching staff deserves a ton of blame for this. Even so, if that stupid, freak, lineman catch on 3rd down hadn't happened, would have been a completely different game.

Congrats to CV.

uh_no
11-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Terrible. Not very happy right now. Awful showing by the defense, but the coaching staff deserves a ton of blame for this. Even so, if that stupid, freak, lineman catch on 3rd down hadn't happened, would have been a completely different game.

Congrats to CV.

even if the coaching staff made the perfect call on every down, i'm not sure that would have stopped GTs offense....

Greg_Newton
11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
even if the coaching staff made the perfect call on every down, i'm not sure that would have stopped GTs offense....

Got to give your guys a chance. When it's 9 vs. 6 guys in the box on 3rd and 4, and your safeties are so deep they don't even make it across the first down line, you're going to give up 18 3rd/4th down conversions against an option team...

The fake punt was inexcusable, though. You already got bailed out after punting to GT down 11 with 8-9 minutes left when you haven't stopped them once, you can't make the worst call of your tenure when you get the ball back.

DownEastDevil
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Man I'm tired after that game. Seems like I was begging for a stop on every play and it never happened. I knew we would need to put up a lot of points and we just had to many penalties and mistakes that 4th quarter. I was very disappointed in the sacks with only a 3 man rush. Then the fake punt just put me over the edge.

6th Man
11-17-2012, 06:59 PM
I would love to ask Cut why he likes to take the ball out of his best players hands in the most critical times. It's always Connette in goal line situations...and now the punter running on a fake that fooled nobody when he has a great QB and now a multiple ACC record holder at WR. The Connette package is a sore spot for me. If he mixed his passes and run better maybe I could see it, but he runs 99 percent of the time. He doesn't run as good as Duncan or Snead, nor passes as good as Renfree. So I don't see why it is so popular. The fake punt run really got me and I hope Cut thinks more in the offseason about utilizing his best players. I love Cut for turning our program around, but I see his current strategy as a big minus for the program.

75Crazie
11-17-2012, 08:03 PM
I would love to ask Cut why he likes to take the ball out of his best players hands in the most critical times. It's always Connette in goal line situations...and now the punter running on a fake that fooled nobody when he has a great QB and now a multiple ACC record holder at WR. The Connette package is a sore spot for me. If he mixed his passes and run better maybe I could see it, but he runs 99 percent of the time. He doesn't run as good as Duncan or Snead, nor passes as good as Renfree. So I don't see why it is so popular. The fake punt run really got me and I hope Cut thinks more in the offseason about utilizing his best players. I love Cut for turning our program around, but I see his current strategy as a big minus for the program.
Cutcliffe deserves major kudos for the impact that he has had on our program, and I for one hope he stays at Duke for a long time. But the game-day play-calling of him or his staff does lead to a lot of questions. I'm not sure I agree that the punt on the first series was a bad call -- the offense looked a little out-of-sync at the time, and he must have held out some hope that our defense could have made stops once or twice at least. But the fourth-quarter punt on 4th-and-16 I do not buy -- it was a throw-in-the-towel play. And the later fake punt is probably the most inexplicable call I can remember. As much as I hate the Connette package, which is little more than a telegraph of what play we're going to run, at least Connette is a runner -- this play asked a punter to run the ball against a defense that had to have been under no delusion at all regarding the play. My jaw hit the floor twice on the one play -- the first time when I saw the punt formation, the second time when I saw the punter start to run. I would dearly like to hear an explanation of the call.

Greg_Newton
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Anyone know where the heck Jordon Byas was? Not listed on any injury report, but didn't play. Big setback.

Also, Lee Butler expected to need surgery for a knee injury. $@#$%@&.

sagegrouse
11-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Congrats to CV.

Zee problem is that we could not control the Tech fullbacks; therefore, we had to skew towards the middle allowing the outside game and the pass to be available. I have no complaints about the coaching. I had hoped that GT would be as generous as Clemson and FSU in coughing up the ball, but they had no turnovers.

I too thought that we had stopped the Jackets on third down and then this John Goodman-type lineman started running with the ball. I wondered if it was a forward lateral.
Anyway, stop Tech that once and score to take the lead, and it is a different game.

sage

Jarhead
11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Cutcliffe deserves major kudos for the impact that he has had on our program, and I for one hope he stays at Duke for a long time. But the game-day play-calling of him or his staff does lead to a lot of questions. I'm not sure I agree that the punt on the first series was a bad call -- the offense looked a little out-of-sync at the time, and he must have held out some hope that our defense could have made stops once or twice at least. But the fourth-quarter punt on 4th-and-16 I do not buy -- it was a throw-in-the-towel play. And the later fake punt is probably the most inexplicable call I can remember. As much as I hate the Connette package, which is little more than a telegraph of what play we're going to run, at least Connette is a runner -- this play asked a punter to run the ball against a defense that had to have been under no delusion at all regarding the play. My jaw hit the floor twice on the one play -- the first time when I saw the punt formation, the second time when I saw the punter start to run. I would dearly like to hear an explanation of the call.

... and if he actually made the first down, would it have been a good call in your mind? The game situation cried out for a super play. Would any other call have made any difference?

TruBlu
11-17-2012, 11:59 PM
... and if he actually made the first down, would it have been a good call in your mind? The game situation cried out for a super play. Would any other call have made any difference?

The fake punt would have been a bad call even if it was successful. The odds of having a punter run the ball up the middle against a defense expecting a fake punt is sooooo much less than running your best play with your play-makers on the field. One of the worst decisions of the year IMHO.

Oh well, next play. Beat Miami!

Greg_Newton
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Absolutely, IMO. In that situation, we might as well have run a fake punt on third down. There was no way we were actually going to punt, and the whole stadium knew it; it was pointless coming out in the formation in the first place. So, we're essentially making our punter - not exactly our best playmaker - run 20 yards for a first down, through the teeth of the defense, on 4th and 5. Just inexcusable.

At this point, I'm most worried about the team's confidence and spirits. After 6-2, we were clearly at a new level as a program and in our level of play. Two humiliating losses and a 3-game losing streak later, I worry about taking a step back (not that I'd necessarily fault the team - I've been worried about this stretch since the beginning of the season).

Really, it just makes the Miami game that much more huge. Win, and the season represents an unqualified huge step forward for the program, as we'll be going bowling at 7-5 (4-4) after winning the home closer against a traditional power - huge momentum going into the offseason and for recruiting. Finish the regular season 0-4 and limp into a bowl at 6-6 and 5th in the Coastal... I mean, I'll still be thrilled overall, but it's not quite the same statement.

Wander
11-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Really, it just makes the Miami game that much more huge. Win, and the season represents an unqualified huge step forward for the program, as we'll be going bowling at 7-5 (4-4) after winning the home closer against a traditional power - huge momentum going into the offseason and for recruiting. Finish the regular season 0-4 and limp into a bowl at 6-6 and 5th in the Coastal... I mean, I'll still be thrilled overall, but it's not quite the same statement.

I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with the spirit, but we should remember: the season represents an unqualified huge step forward for the program no matter what happens from here on out.

mkline09
11-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with the spirit, but we should remember: the season represents an unqualified huge step forward for the program no matter what happens from here on out.

You are 100 percent correct here and I have to tell myself that same thing. With success breads the desire for more success and many of us myself included are guilty of wanting more and I think we all saw that chance Saturday but it just didn't happen. I think as long as we keep our perspective it is okay to be upset and want even more. Let not just not get crazy.

buddy
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
The fake punt was probably a bad call, because it was so obvious. But I give coach credit--this year he has been willing to pull out all stops and play to win, instead of playing not to lose. He has tried a few fake punts (some worked), non-obvious onside kicks, more over the middle and less east-west passing, and a vastly improved running game. And our kicking game is solid. When Cut came that was a joke. Remember the suspense of the extra point try in Roof's last year? Cut pointed it out in his first recruiting intro, saying "we'll fix that." He did and he has.

What is pitiful is our defense. Forget yesterday. In our 5 losses we have surrendered and average of 47.4 points. Pretty hard to ask the offense to score 7 touchdowns just to get a chance for a tie. The defense has to be fixed. I'm not good enough to know if it is talent or coaching, but whatever the case, we have no hope of improving over this year without major changes. Yesterday was just awful, as not only could we not make a stop, just watching you knew we couldn't make a stop. The announcers said Knowles game plan was to make Georgia Tech work for what they got. Good plan--we give up a bunch of 14 and 15 play touchdown drives, keep our offense on the sidelines. Hey, but at least it made sure CV wouldn't get hurt running back punts! Maybe next time we can actually try to stop the opposition.

All that said, this has been a great season. I just hope we can pull it all together again next Saturday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Absolutely, IMO. In that situation, we might as well have run a fake punt on third down. There was no way we were actually going to punt, and the whole stadium knew it; it was pointless coming out in the formation in the first place. So, we're essentially making our punter - not exactly our best playmaker - run 20 yards for a first down, through the teeth of the defense, on 4th and 5. Just inexcusable.

At this point, I'm most worried about the team's confidence and spirits. After 6-2, we were clearly at a new level as a program and in our level of play. Two humiliating losses and a 3-game losing streak later, I worry about taking a step back (not that I'd necessarily fault the team - I've been worried about this stretch since the beginning of the season).

I mean no disrespect, but I do think the team is often more resilient than the fans. This team has already put together a better record than any team in years....and they're going to a bowl game.

How does Duke's game against GA Tech compare with Carolina's game? I thought that Duke did do reasonably well to keep the game close until later in the game while Carolina's daunted defense seemed to be overwhelmed by the Yellow Jackets.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2012, 09:54 AM
It's hard to win if you can't keep the other team from moving the ball. We obviously were not going to match them score for score, so that left our best bet in forcing turnovers. Unfortunately, we didn't get any, although we did force a couple that they recovered. (That fumble into the hands of the linebacker was an insane stroke of luck.) Hats off to Tech for an excellently played game. For the most part, I liked what I saw when we had the ball, but we would have had to be perfect to win.

Greg_Newton
11-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I mean no disrespect, but I do think the team is often more resilient than the fans. This team has already put together a better record than any team in years....and they're going to a bowl game.

How does Duke's game against GA Tech compare with Carolina's game? I thought that Duke did do reasonably well to keep the game close until later in the game while Carolina's daunted defense seemed to be overwhelmed by the Yellow Jackets.

My concerns have little to do with my expectations as a fan - I've enjoyed this season more than about any sports season I can remember - and much more to do with the program going forward, primarily the size of the boost in recruiting momentum. While I agree that making a bowl is a huge step in itself, IF (hypothetical) we, say, lose our last five games of a 6-7 season, it doesn't quite give us the same momentum in selling our arrival to recruits. Beating Miami to go 7-5 and end the season on a high note would be huge, regardless of bowl outcome. I also don't think that confidence is a non-issue, here - they're not immune to that kind of stuff.

As for the game itself, I didn't watch UNC-GT, but it looks like they played them better. Total yards were 588-497 in their game, 449-275 in ours. That said, I think we would have had a real chance to win if not for the lineman-catch-and-run.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
My concerns have little to do with my expectations as a fan - I've enjoyed this season more than about any sports season I can remember - and much more to do with the program going forward, primarily the size of the boost in recruiting momentum. While I agree that making a bowl is a huge step in itself, IF (hypothetical) we, say, lose our last five games of a 6-7 season, it doesn't quite give us the same momentum in selling our arrival to recruits. Beating Miami to go 7-5 and end the season on a high note would be huge, regardless of bowl outcome. I also don't think that confidence is a non-issue, here - they're not immune to that kind of stuff.

As for the game itself, I didn't watch UNC-GT, but it looks like they played them better. Total yards were 588-497 in their game, 449-275 in ours. That said, I think we would have had a real chance to win if not for the lineman-catch-and-run.

I did watch GA Tech play Carolina. That's why I brought it up to compare to how our team played. The stats don't tell anything about the rhythm of the game. Carolina looked lost when they played GA Tech.

AtlDuke72
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM

You can't win if you never stop the other team. Everybody should just remember that the Devils beat Carolina and be happy with the season.

roywhite
11-19-2012, 08:47 AM
You can't win if you never stop the other team. Everybody should just remember that the Devils beat Carolina and be happy with the season.

After watching Stanford shut down Oregon, I've gotta think that our task of attracting good Defensive Linemen and Linebackers is not impossible. So far that's been the team's biggest weakness in the Cut era (and quite often before that, also), bad matchups of our front 7 against some of the better teams. The pool of quality defensive line prospects with good academic qualifications is not deep, but they're out there.

If we can upgrade the defense, we can be more competitive against the power teams. It's Cut's biggest challenge.

jv001
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
After watching Stanford shut down Oregon, I've gotta think that our task of attracting good Defensive Linemen and Linebackers is not impossible. So far that's been the team's biggest weakness in the Cut era (and quite often before that, also), bad matchups of our front 7 against some of the better teams. The pool of quality defensive line prospects with good academic qualifications is not deep, but they're out there.

If we can upgrade the defense, we can be more competitive against the power teams. It's Cut's biggest challenge.

I agree with roywhite that landing some topnotch DL is the key to Duke taking the next step. And that's beating some of the big name schools on uor schedule. However, though we didn't stop GT on defense our guys were in position to make the play. We just did a terrible job of tackling. GoDuke!

killerleft
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I agree with roywhite that landing some topnotch DL is the key to Duke taking the next step. And that's beating some of the big name schools on uor schedule. However, though we didn't stop GT on defense our guys were in position to make the play. We just did a terrible job of tackling. GoDuke!

I agree about the top-notch defensive linemen, gotta get some.

But I thought our defense did a pretty fair job against a very tough GT offense. The imagined horror of long touchdown plays and giving up 68 points was far from reality, and a couple breaks could have put us in position to win. The lucky GT pass play ending with the completion to a lineman really hurt us, and the fake punt was only fake hope. But we've still got a chance to post that winning season, so it's on to the next play!!

Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I agree about the top-notch defensive linemen, gotta get some.

But I thought our defense did a pretty fair job against a very tough GT offense. The imagined horror of long touchdown plays and giving up 68 points was far from reality, and a couple breaks could have put us in position to win. The lucky GT pass play ending with the completion to a lineman really hurt us, and the fake punt was only fake hope. But we've still got a chance to post that winning season, so it's on to the next play!!

Go Duke!
You've described my own view of this game. Our guys were in the game; they weren't holding GA Tech back, but it was enough of an effort that our offense could be competitive. The major momentum shift came with the questionable touchdown call and then the lineman who took off with the bobbled ball finished it off.

DukeSean
11-19-2012, 11:38 AM
You've described my own view of this game. Our guys were in the game; they weren't holding GA Tech back, but it was enough of an effort that our offense could be competitive. The major momentum shift came with the questionable touchdown call and then the lineman who took off with the bobbled ball finished it off.

That touchdown call really hurt for sure, but so did not scoring on our first possession. Imagine what a different feel the game would've had if we were scoring a step ahead of them instead of behind them.

Still, gotta make the tackles and make the stops

killerleft
11-19-2012, 12:02 PM

You're right, I almost forgot about the questionable touchdown. From the limited views we got to see, the only question was did he get a foot away from the goal line, or did he get a bit closer?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
You're right, I almost forgot about the questionable touchdown. From the limited views we got to see, the only question was did he get a foot away from the goal line, or did he get a bit closer?
Wes Chesson had a good view. He described the replay on the scoreboard screen. He was certain the call would be overruled.