PDA

View Full Version : FB: Clemson Game Thread

sagegrouse
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Time for a big effort by the team and the fans.

Have at it, fellow fanatics. I will be in the house for the first (and only?) time this season.

sagegrouse

budwom
10-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Have at it, fellow fanatics. I will be in the house for the first (and only?) time this season.

sagegrouse

To have a realistic chance of success, Sage, we're going to have to establish something of a running game to keep their
offense off the field, and minimize our mistakes (turnovers, false start penalties et al). Clemmons is going to score
at least 35-40 points. Seems like a very tall order, but who knows? I just hope we play well and
stay healthy so we can take it to Dinkwad Johnson two weeks hence. We owe that creep.

DukeSean
10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd say fans were worth more than a few points in our win over carolina. Let's hope they're worth some points on Saturday too.

We've got to contain the big play. Hopkins and Watkins are gonna be a tough tough test for our secondary. What we can't do is let those guys behind us, which happened too much against FSU. As long as we can keep them to long receptions instead of long TDs, then we have a chance.

A lot of things need to go right for us to win this game, but we can surprise the world!

Bob Green
10-31-2012, 01:15 PM
A consistent pass rush will be vital to success. Against FSU, on multiple occassions, we blitzed but didn't get to E.J. Manuel and he burnt our secondary. Likewise, there were occassions were we only rushed three and Manuel stood back there all day waiting for a receiver to become open. Whether we rush the standard four or just three or bring the house on a blitz, the pass rush must push Tajh Boyd out of his comfort zone.

Duke is fifth in the ACC in Sacks with 19, but against FSU we had zero. We need to put Boyd on the ground a time or two.

Bob Green
11-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Here is a nice article on our QB play:

http://www.accsports.com/wires/2012110113843/dukes-qb-play-shows-programs-improved-depth-.php

which provides a segue to this question: how is Connette's health? I realize he isn't listed on the injury report, but is he available to play multiple positions? It seems he has been banged up and played a limited role in recent games. We will need his full skill package Saturday night.

-bdbd
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Good preview of the Duke-Clemson FB game from Scout...

http://duke.scout.com/2/1235894.html

In the end, they predict a 13-point win for Clemson, with them gaining separation just before or just after halftime. Their offense looks to be a real test for our D, staying with elite talent. Their D isn't as good, especially in the secondary. 24-37 sounds like a reasonable prediction, but this sure seems like a great opportunity for a November surprise and a statement game from the Devils. Let's hope the crowd turns out again and has another big impact. :eek:

DukeHLM'13
11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
From what I've heard from talking to people who work with the team, we believe that we are going to be able to score against Clemson. What its going to come down to is if we can make some plays on the defensive side of the ball. A couple of forced turnovers and a consistent, smart offensive effort on our part could be the key to getting a huge win tomorrow night.

As for the crowd, I know I'm going to be there and I'm bringing as may other students along with me as I possibly can.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe it's time for a simple public spell....

Double, double toil and trouble,
It's time to burst Clemson's bubble. ;)

PDDuke85
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
From what I've heard from talking to people who work with the team, we believe that we are going to be able to score against Clemson. What its going to come down to is if we can make some plays on the defensive side of the ball. A couple of forced turnovers and a consistent, smart offensive effort on our part could be the key to getting a huge win tomorrow night.

As for the crowd, I know I'm going to be there and I'm bringing as may other students along with me as I possibly can.

Slap a WV sticker on the helmets and let's go and get 70 points!

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2012, 01:52 PM

I tell you what, I have loved watching up our D forcing turnovers this year. It's too bad that we could not turn those into points vs. FSU..but still forcing FOUR fumbles against that offense? Wow! It's just another sign that Duke football is a program heading in the right direction. Obviously all the pieces are not in the puzzle yet, but we are starting to see the picture.

As an aside, tomorrow will be the last big outing for the True Blue 'Cue Crew. Due to holiday plans we won't have the grills in full effect for the Miami game (but I will still be able to make it, and the food will still be awesome), so if you are going to the game tomorrow I encourage you to come by and share a bite to eat. See what we want the future of Duke football to look like outside the stadium as we try to complement what goes on inside the stadium. GO DUKE!!!

devildeac
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Almost always a good idea especially if you can get f$u to turn the ball over, oh, let's say four times, and actually put more than seven points on the scoreboard after their turnovers. Oh, wait a minute...:eek::rolleyes:

peloton
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM

I couldn't agree more, sagegrouse. Let me state that I've been a Duke fan way too long to be satisfied with simply "moral victories" in Wally Wade anymore. However, if the team can't at least compete with the Tigers tomorrow night I'm going to be very disappointed. Not that I really expected our guys to beat the Seminoles but we weren't even competitive for the most part. I certainly hope that we can a) at least give the Tigers a good game (read:scare) and b) possibly put ourselves in a position where we have a legitimate chance of winning. The team needs to bring it, the coaching staff needs to bring it, and we as fans need to bring it tomorrow night. Pulling off the huge upset in '89 against Clemson in the rain is something I'll never forget and I'd love nothing more than to experience that again. Considering their defense and the fact that this is being played in Durham, I like our chances...I really do. I'll be there with one of my sons - looking forward to a night game, some (appropriately chilly) football weather, and a win by our guys. Let's go Blue Devils! It's time to take the next step and upset a ranked team! See you tomorrow night, TBCC!

killerleft
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
From the story in the W-S Journal, linked at the main page:

Duke is 5-0 at Wallace Wade Stadium this year and has tied the school record for home wins in a season. When Cutcliffe took over in 2008, Duke hadn't won a home game in nearly three years.

"Being able to win in front of your home crowd is important not only for your fan base but for your program with recruiting, to get people behind you," senior quarterback Sean Renfree said. "Our record so far has gotten people talking about football here. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a packed game this weekend and as good of an atmosphere as we had against Carolina."

Home field advantage is huge, and a full Wallace Wade Stadium is lots of fun. Be there.

Go Duke!!

left_hook_lacey
11-03-2012, 02:12 PM
This thread should be longer, and kept at the top until kick-off. I know basketball is getting revved up, but this game is a huge chance for us. Let's not get complacent just because we're bowl eligible.

We're playing Clemson, at home, on national TV, in November, in a game that actually matters! We are still very much alive to get to the ACC title game, or at the least, increasing the quality of our bowl bid.

I'm so pumped I can hardly contain myself. I've been cleaning out the garage to occupy my mind and time until kick-off!

chrishoke
11-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Come on Devils! Shock the world.

El_Diablo
11-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Our secondary needs a fallout shelter.

75Crazie
11-03-2012, 07:44 PM
We had to hope for an off-day from Boyd -- and he is looking very sharp.

6th Man
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I can't emphasize enough how much I hate the Connette play. He doesn't throw as good as Renfree or run as good as Snead or Duncan, so why do we run that freaking play so much. At this point it fools nobody!

moonpie23
11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
starting to get ugly....

Wander
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Our defense does not have the talent to compete with Top 25 offenses. It's that simple.

6th Man
11-03-2012, 07:55 PM
It's just so unfortunate that we had to play FSU and Clemson from the other division.

Wander
11-03-2012, 08:05 PM
We need to force turnovers to have a chance here. Our offense is doing great - we might have a chance in a shootout if we can take the ball away from Clemson, because I don't think we're going to be stopping them with traditional 3-and-outs.

chaosmage
11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Why does it seem like (watching on ESPN) that the away crowd outnumbers the home crowd? :-(

We're home right?

uh_no
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Why does it seem like (watching on ESPN) that the away crowd outnumbers the home crowd? :-(

We're home right?

because the cameras are generally on the home side of the stadium?

moonpie23
11-03-2012, 09:31 PM
those guys are bigger, stronger, faster ....we're not those guys......we have some skills, but we're bouncing off those guys....

Newton_14
11-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Our defense does not have the talent to compete with Top 25 offenses. It's that simple.

That's in reality a Top 5 offense. There are teams in the Top 25 our defense could hold their own against, but FSU and Clemson are both Top 10 teams at the end of the day. We are not yet at a level where our defense can contain against that level of athlete. We are still missing several key starters on defense as well which only serves to magnify the issue.

Just need to keep working and recruiting. The next two games we have a fighting chance to win. If we can go 1-1 or 2-0 it will go a long way towards erasing the pain of the last two games.

Next Play

uh_no
11-03-2012, 10:44 PM
That's in reality a Top 5 offense. There are teams in the Top 25 our defense could hold their own against, but FSU and Clemson are both Top 10 teams at the end of the day. We are not yet at a level where our defense can contain against that level of athlete. We are still missing several key starters on defense as well which only serves to magnify the issue.

Just need to keep working and recruiting. The next two games we have a fighting chance to win. If we can go 1-1 or 2-0 it will go a long way towards erasing the pain of the last two games.

Next Play

If we go 2-0 and fsu runs over vt, it may go a long way towards erasing the pain of the last two decades :D

Newton_14
11-03-2012, 10:52 PM
If we go 2-0 and fsu runs over vt, it may go a long way towards erasing the pain of the last two decades :D

Indeed it will. To actually win the Coastal and play in Charlotte would be amazing. Kind of sucks we got FSU and Clemson vs say Maryland and BC. The schedule was just brutal...

sagegrouse
11-03-2012, 11:05 PM

We're home right?

Lots of Clemson folks there, but Duke fans outnumbered them about two-to-one when the stadium was full. Clemson fans came early (and stayed late).

sage

kingboozer
11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I agree, there were a lot of Duke fans there, hard to tell if there were more Clemson fans with how spread out they were. The crowd at WW is getting better and better, hope it keeps up. I came into this game not expecting to win, but hoping for a better showing than we had against FSU and I was pleased. Renfree had a great game passing and Crowder was the go to guy tonight. 56-20 is a lot better than 56-0, 56-7 or 48-7 like last week. I know a loss is a loss but getting smashed like that just isn't good for the teams morale. I hope with the extra week of prep we go into the GTech game and take them down! (Hey if Mid Tennessee can do it why not us!?)

GO DUKE!

uh_no
11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree, there were a lot of Duke fans there, hard to tell if there were more Clemson fans with how spread out they were. The crowd at WW is getting better and better, hope it keeps up. I came into this game not expecting to win, but hoping for a better showing than we had against FSU and I was pleased. Renfree had a great game passing and Crowder was the go to guy tonight. 56-20 is a lot better than 56-0, 56-7 or 48-7 like last week. I know a loss is a loss but getting smashed like that just isn't good for the teams morale. I hope with the extra week of prep we go into the GTech game and take them down! (Hey if Mid Tennessee can do it why not us!?)

GO DUKE!

I think knowing that we still (mostly) control our destiny for winning the division is a pretty good morale boost!

devildeac
11-03-2012, 11:40 PM
We need to force turnovers to have a chance here. Our offense is doing great - we might have a chance in a shootout if we can take the ball away from Clemson, because I don't think we're going to be stopping them with traditional 3-and-outs.

Well, Clemson did turn it over 4 times and recovered one additional fumble they had and we had 0 turnovers. Just like last week against FSU. That plan doesn't seem to be working:rolleyes:. We also "won" the time of possession stat tonight. Might have "won" that one last week, IIRC, but I am just too tired to research that one. It was a loooong night at WW.

Edit: Just found it. Last week TOP was Duke 31:30 and FSU 28:30 :( .

gep
11-04-2012, 12:03 AM
those guys are bigger, stronger, faster ....we're not those guys......we have some skills, but we're bouncing off those guys....

Next Play

The fact that Duke won 6 games so far... and they've kept up their end of the bargain by winning the games the should have won, stayed competitive and actually won the games they should have been competetive in ... and lost the games that were long-shots. After decades of non-whatever... maybe "baby-steps" is the watch-word here. Yes, it would be a great accomplishment to win the Coastal division... but going to a bowl is a great first step. I'm not saying to cruise the next two games, but to fret over losing to FSU and Clemson, even by wide margins, is not a reason to lose hope in this team. After all, they are top 10 level teams. The accomplishments in Coach Cut's tenure so far is just so great. And Coach Cut's built a program that will most likely not be a "one-year wonder".:cool: I look for a win against GaTech, and a very competitive game with Miami with a chance to win. GO DUKE!!!!!

sagegrouse
11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Duke again won the turnover battle against Clemson -- 4-0. Duke got three interceptions and a fumble recovery, without incurring a turnover itself. Two of the interceptions were spectacular.

But that meant the following -- Clemson had twelve possessions through the first three quarters. The Tigers scored eight touchdowns and had four turnovers. Duke did not force a punt, a field goal try, or take over on downs. I thought the Clemson punter might feel guilty about accepting his salary. :rolleyes: But he did get to punt in the fourth quarter with the reserves in the game.

Enjoyed seeing the gang at the tailgate. Although Ozzie looked distinguished in a coat and tie, he changed into more respectable clothes shortly after arriving. It was great to see Bob Green and meet Flora, as well as many of their family. CBB and TNT were fabulous hosts, as usual. TNT gave me a lesson in the fine art of Dutch oven cooking -- coals underneath the oven AND coals on top.

My record is 0-3 for Duke football the past two years, so I will skip the crucial Miami game in three weeks.

sagegrouse

loran16
11-04-2012, 11:32 AM
we managed to score 17 points quickly on a Clemson D that was trying.

Neither Miami nor GT has such a high power offense as Clemson (though GT's running game will be an issue) and neither is anywhere near as good a D. We should be able to outscore them in a shootout.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2012, 11:42 AM
While this sort of loss continues to leave most of us disappointed, that Clemson team is a very good team in so many ways.

Our guys didn't lie down or quit. The injury list seems to get shorter as the regular season draws to a close.

Clemson didn't seem as intent as some other opponents in playing defense in a way that would leave our guys with lots of injuries.

We're making our own journey and getting better and better as we go.

mkline09
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
That Clemson game sucked but honestly who among us, if we had been told that at this point in the year Duke would be 6-4 (3-3 ACC) and still in the race for the Coastal Divion, would have been unhappy with that? Bye week get healthy, get better and finish out the year against two very beatable teams.